PDA

View Full Version : Big South Week 8 Thread

ToTheLeft
October 18th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Power Rankings:

1. Liberty (Will dominate the conference unless they have a mental lapse)
t3. Gardner-Webb (Still not sure what to think of this team)
t3. Stony Brook (Still not sure what to think of this team either, but at least SBU and G-W are winning)
5. Coastal (Even after the loss to LU, they still beat VMI)
6. VMI (Not the worst, but can't figure out how to win...)
7. Chuck
8. Presby

LU at CSU
VMI at Presby
CCU at SBU
Southern Virginia at G-W

My Picks: LU by 21
VMI by 10
CCU by 7
G-W by 35

kdinva
October 18th, 2009, 12:16 PM
For the third straight week, VMI with Barney Fife-itisxsmhx (need to keep the bullet in the shirt pocket, like Andy says).

Liberty 36; Chuck South 20
VMI 34; Presby 17
Stony Brook 26; CCU 17
Gard-Webb 53, SoVa 6

jcmanson
October 18th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I think we can go ahead and say we won the conference in 2009, 2010, and 2011 unless something crazy happens.

MarkCCU
October 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM
**** me running... remind me again why a team from New York in the Big South?

elcid83
October 18th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Tough game for the Runnin' Bulldogs to get excited about. The hope is that the 1st string can leave the game before the end of the 3rd Q and then stay healthy for the Stony Brook game. I know you're not supposed to look ahead, but I'd be surprised if we don't do some game planning for SB this week.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs232.snc1/7933_1172463825763_1053041569_30464223_7089103_n.j pg

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Schfourteenteen
October 18th, 2009, 07:23 PM
**** me running... remind me again why a team from New York in the Big South?

I thought auto bid issues, but I really forget now. Either way, dont expect them to stay past 2012. There's going to be a major conference switch and I'd be surprised if they dont end up with Albany, CCS and maybe even the CAA North teams in some New England/Mid Atlantic region based conference.

Schfourteenteen
October 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM
This weeks rankings are real easy minus the 2-3 battle.

1. Liberty - 42 points in 14 minutes? Dag. And to think they left 12 points on the board in the first half.
2. Stony Brook - Havent shown anything worthy of #2, but they at least have played talent and lost.
3. Gardner Webb - May as well be #2, but win by a combined 11 points over VMI and Chuck South and I just can't put them there.....yet. Just wait till October 31.
4. Coastal - Solidified their position here with a VMI win and leaving Lynchburg at halftime.
5. VMI - A "good" 5th place team in that they seem to play superior teams better than they really are. Theyve shown they can compete but have not alot to show for it. Averaged 400 yeards of O vs Liberty the last 3 years.
6. Chuck - Always seem to be uh "battle tested" by the beginning of Big South play. Hopefully it will help them out throughout the year.
7. Presby - Really needed this bye week.

LU 51-10 - No reason to think the past two years(osses by 40+points) will be any different
VMI 24-17 - Well see which team puts it together to get the win.
CCU 27-20 - All conference games end at 27-20, and this may be the defining moment of the future of the Bennett era.
G-W 42-7 - Not sure why they scheduled 2 DII games, but I dont judge.

Seawolf97
October 18th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I thought auto bid issues, but I really forget now. Either way, dont expect them to stay past 2012. There's going to be a major conference switch and I'd be surprised if they dont end up with Albany, CCS and maybe even the CAA North teams in some New England/Mid Atlantic region based conference.

Mere speculationxcoffeex

Schfourteenteen
October 18th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Mere speculationxcoffeex

Very true. But there's a better chance of me being right than me being wrong. The moving up restriction is banned, and the CAA is pretty much a lock to due to that issue as well as travel costs.

And when there's a decent opportunity for Stony Brook to leave they will.

Of course you could just be sarcastic. Cant tell by the coffee. So my bad if so

Redwyn
October 19th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I think we can go ahead and say we won the conference in 2009, 2010, and 2011 unless something crazy happens.

We'lllll seeee :)

GridFan
October 19th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Until G-W gets its defense healthy, they won't be stopping as many people as they're capable of. This is a good week for a D2/NAIA team. I would doubt many of the starters play past the second quarter. That NC State game really banged that group up badly. As many as seven starters played this past Saturday with some sort of injury from what I was told at the game.

The reason for the pair of D2 games rests completely on Tennessee Tech backing out of a game in B.Springs in mid-summer to play K-State.

Seawolf97
October 19th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Very true. But there's a better chance of me being right than me being wrong. The moving up restriction is banned, and the CAA is pretty much a lock to due to that issue as well as travel costs.

And when there's a decent opportunity for Stony Brook to leave they will.

Of course you could just be sarcastic. Cant tell by the coffee. So my bad if so

No sarcasim intended. With all the speculation about imploding conferences, new conferences and expected shuffle coming after 2011 it is just speculation.
Money and Conference politics being what they are I truly dont expect much movement in 2012 or beyond. Of course I would like to see a move to the CAA or a new conference but I dont think that will happen anytime soon. So I expect no major announcements about a shuffle coming . Personally I dont mind being in the Big South . It is a new growing organization -it can only get better.

Tealblood
October 19th, 2009, 02:35 PM
you guys who have us rated ahead of CSU must not have watched our game saturday

EagleDawg
October 19th, 2009, 03:02 PM
GW has yet to put together a complete game, IMO even in the first game blow-out win over D2 Mars Hill. The hope is that GW will continue to improve week to week while still earning a W. After this week, the season gets tougher with 3 straight big conference games. The Runnin Bulldogs need to quickly take care of business this Saturday early and hopefully rest their starters while giving some of the other guys some playing time.

The difficulty is that the O-line in particular does not have enough depth to rest all starters without jeopardizing some hoped for red-shirt opportunities. For that reason, I expect the starting OL to play into the 4th quarter and maybe 1 or 2 starters playing every snap.

After this week, it's Stony Brook at home on the 31st. The GW D needs to get healthy to slow a Seawolves squad who has shown they can put points on the board.

Then a road trip to Coastal Carolina where the Dawgs have struggled to get a win in that series over the last few seasons. I know some of you CCU fans after last week think the Chants aren't too good but that will be a tough win for GW to get.

And then, if the Runnin Dawgs manage to not trip up, Liberty comes to Boiling Springs with the Conference Championship on the line. That will be a tall test as Liberty with each passing week gets their young players another week of game experience. Liberty is the most physical team in the league, one of the best, if not the best coached and they have what no one else in the Big South currently has and that's championship winning experience over the last two seasons. GW has to get healthy, stay healthy, win out leading up to this match-up and then, play the complete game including the coaching staff having the right game plan and calling the right plays at the right time.

Could be, should be and hopefully will be a great run for the Dawgs.xnodx

GridFan
October 19th, 2009, 03:20 PM
You're right Eagle. Tough stretch. Getting healthy, IMO, is the most important and most difficult hurdle for G-W to have a chance at any of those games. Especially on D. Was very impressed Saturday with their toughness late in the game.

That last drive was pinpoint. 78 yards in what had to be 1:30 or so.

kirkblitz
October 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Power Rankings:

1. Liberty (Will dominate the conference unless they have a mental lapse)
t3. Gardner-Webb (Still not sure what to think of this team)
t3. Stony Brook (Still not sure what to think of this team either, but at least SBU and G-W are winning)
5. Coastal (Even after the loss to LU, they still beat VMI)
6. VMI (Not the worst, but can't figure out how to win...)
7. Chuck
8. Presby

LU at CSU
VMI at Presby
CCU at SBU
Southern Virginia at G-W

My Picks: LU by 21
VMI by 10
CCU by 7
G-W by 35

lib
gw
sb
vmi
csu
presby
ccu

picks:
sb by 14
gw by 28
vmi by 7

Sly Fox
October 19th, 2009, 04:55 PM
picks:
sb by 14
gw by 28
vmi by 7

Are you already pushing the Flames' existence out of your mind?

:D

EagleDawg
October 19th, 2009, 05:35 PM
SBU by 13
VMI by 10
Liberty by 21
GW by 31

Any CSU fan have an update on the DL who was taken off the field on a stretcher Saturday in Boiling Springs. It looked like he suffered a compound fracture of his lower leg (similar to Joe Theisman years ago). It looked very ugly. Hopefully the young man will fully recover and be able to take to the field again in the seasons ahead. No one likes to see that happen to any player, 2nd time in two weeks a player has been carted off. Two weeks ago in Buffalo, GW's Keron Phelps suffered a concussion and stinger after taking a knee to the side of the head. It was good to see him up and on the sideline Saturday even though he wasn't dressed out.

Libertine
October 19th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Any CSU fan have an update on the DL who was taken off the field on a stretcher Saturday in Boiling Springs. It looked like he suffered a compound fracture of his lower leg (similar to Joe Theisman years ago). It looked very ugly.

I was watching the game on SportsSouth and completely missed this. When did this happen?

EagleDawg
October 19th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Libertine - Last 3rd of the 3rd quarter. I was at the game and also recorded it on DVR. Pretty ugly looking injury. Several GW OL immediately knew it was bad as they motioned for help for the injured CSU player. The kid's lower leg was not aligned with the rest of his leg. They got him in an air cast and off to the hospital. I suspect he went into surgery pretty quickly.

Seawolf97
October 19th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Libertine - Last 3rd of the 3rd quarter. I was at the game and also recorded it on DVR. Pretty ugly looking injury. Several GW OL immediately knew it was bad as they motioned for help for the injured CSU player. The kid's lower leg was not aligned with the rest of his leg. They got him in an air cast and off to the hospital. I suspect he went into surgery pretty quickly.

That is never good to hear. Hope he is ok soon!

Redwyn
October 19th, 2009, 09:39 PM
No sarcasim intended. With all the speculation about imploding conferences, new conferences and expected shuffle coming after 2011 it is just speculation.
Money and Conference politics being what they are I truly dont expect much movement in 2012 or beyond. Of course I would like to see a move to the CAA or a new conference but I dont think that will happen anytime soon. So I expect no major announcements about a shuffle coming . Personally I dont mind being in the Big South . It is a new growing organization -it can only get better.

Personally, and from some vague, not too informative conversations with admins, SBU seems to like it in this conference. Our next move will be an all-sports move, not just football. Our demographic in the America East doesn't make much sense. We're a 28K pop school in a conference with all ~10-15K institutions (except BU, who controls the conference for the most part and seems to have political reasons for being there). We're more an A-10/Big East size school. Now our programs don't get even close to that some years achievement-wise, but my sense is that if there is a move in 2012 or beyond, it will be a very big one, not a limited, single sport move.

ToTheLeft
October 19th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Personally, and from some vague, not too informative conversations with admins, SBU seems to like it in this conference. Our next move will be an all-sports move, not just football. Our demographic in the America East doesn't make much sense. We're a 28K pop school in a conference with all ~10-15K institutions (except BU, who controls the conference for the most part and seems to have political reasons for being there). We're more an A-10/Big East size school. Now our programs don't get even close to that some years achievement-wise, but my sense is that if there is a move in 2012 or beyond, it will be a very big one, not a limited, single sport move.

I hadn't considered this, but another move in football would seem a bit silly... especially with such a big school. Gearing up for the future makes the most sense. Maybe LU and SBU can move up to the Big East together. :)

Libertine
October 20th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Yikes. We had something like that happen to one of our guys on that same field two years ago. I'm kind of glad I missed that on TV. Seeing it once in person was bad enough.

IaaScribe
October 20th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Nate Kearse was the name of the kid who was hurt. Jay Mills said he's come through surgery OK and has a long recovery ahead of him, but he's at least stable now.

elcid83
October 20th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Nate Kearse was the name of the kid who was hurt. Jay Mills said he's come through surgery OK and has a long recovery ahead of him, but he's at least stable now.

Hate it for Nate. I was on the sidelines shooting pics and was on the yard line that the injury occurred. Both training staffs did a wonderful job trying to help Nate through a very painful experience and they should be commended for their good work. Here's hoping we get to see Nate on the playing field soon.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs232.snc1/7933_1172464825788_1053041569_30464234_766197_n.jp g

kirkblitz
October 20th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Are you already pushing the Flames' existence out of your mind?

:D

im trying, if i cant see them they dont exist right? ;)

kirkblitz
October 20th, 2009, 01:44 PM
anyone like lib's chance to get to the playoff's if they win out and contiune smashing people like they did to us ?

Usually im against someone other then ccu there but i'll take it this year

SoccerSmells
October 20th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Playoffs would be possible I guess for LU. Similar resume to last year, without the painfully embarrassing loss to PC, but also without the top-25 win over an Elon type team at the end.

A lot, I would think, will depend on just how good a season James Madison has, even though that was a loss. Lafayette too, I would guess, which is a solid road win.

Also, running the table the rest of the way would be a must. Very possible, and I'm sure the folks in Lynchburg are confident of that. As I've seen in other posts regarding playoffs on this board, there will be a lot of very good 3 and 4 loss teams out there from more established leagues.

Unfortunately for LU, I think even at 9-2 they might be looking on again in late November.

danefan
October 20th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Except for the fact that you have no money to do it with, no sugar daddy to pay for it and Title IX issues are imminent. xcoffeex

No offense Redwyn, but SBU isn't moving all-sport conferences anytime soon. 15 years down the road maybe, but at that point do you really think SBU will still be in the Big South?

It only makes sense for SBU to move to any northeast FCS conference if one opens up.

Redwyn
October 20th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Except for the fact that you have no money to do it with, no sugar daddy to pay for it and Title IX issues are imminent. xcoffeex

No offense Redwyn, but SBU isn't moving all-sport conferences anytime soon. 15 years down the road maybe, but at that point do you really think SBU will still be in the Big South?

It only makes sense for SBU to move to any northeast FCS conference if one opens up.

Well, that's sorta my point - we're not ready to do it, and I probably won't miss much if I stop watching SBU sports for a decade. It's not money issues or Title IX. My impression is the endowment is well on its way to topping 500 million. Title IX...and I'm not aware any issue exists because of clear scholarship expansions in Volleyball, WBB, and Softball, is a very curable issue as well.

As for the Big South...I don't see the CAA breaking the hegemony of FCS any time soon. Only way for SBU to get in is if they kick a perennial loser out...and that wouldn't make sense as it would dampen playoff prospects if you put all the contenders in one conference....Fact is, SBU will be a major player in this conference for a long time. It's picking up the recruitment girth no school save Liberty can boast, it has a fantastic coach that year in and year out puts a good program onto the field, and upcoming FBS money games will increase visibility radically. It would be stupid to leave when you're fighting for the same playoff bid the CAA would only make harder. I'd stay, make tasteful OOC matchups that increase SOS competitiveness, and work on getting proximity-relevant money games (Army, Buffalo, Rutgers, Syracuse - schools SBU can put up a fight against and schools the NYC metro area, even in its football anemic form, cares about).

In all, no conference move sans an FBS shift, which, I'd say down the road (miles, miles, miles for any naysayer) is inevitable for a school of its size. Look at the FCS school demographic/focus....we don't belong in this division on any level of a permanent basis. We're just young, and young schools take an increasing amount of time to develop as the total number of universities increase.

GridFan
October 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Interesting point regarding SBU is that the agreement from what I'm told is four years, renewable after that but will the BSC still have a need for a team in New York once the original agreement ceases?

Heard this past weekend that High Point is strongly considering football within three years, which would be very, very interesting if that is the case. HPU is a much better roadie for the league schools than Long Island.

jcmanson
October 20th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Campbell has also joined the Big South for all sports except for football. So, take it FWIW.

Sly Fox
October 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Uh, I would be HIGHly surprised if the Panthers added football. Get my POINT?

Seawolf97
October 20th, 2009, 04:01 PM

I keep hearing SBU is out of money ? Yet since June of this year we have seen -

1. New Field Turf Surface for the stadium
2. New High Def Scoreboard unveiling this weekend.
3 New 135 Room Hilton Hotel/ Conference Center announced on 10/19 to be
built on campus with a six fugure lease cost going back to the University
annually.
4 To be announced athletic and academic expansion in facilities.

If we are out of money then I would love to see us with moneyxcoffeex

ToTheLeft
October 20th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Uh, I would be HIGHly surprised if the Panthers added football. Get my POINT?

They won't. They were considering going DIII but even that was shot down.

g-webb1994
October 20th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Radford has a club team...whether that blooms into something bigger who knows.....

Seawolf97
October 20th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I have stated this before but I see us in the Big South at least four more seasons beyond 2011. And that is fine with me. We did ok last year as the newbies and I expect us to be in the hunt for the title again this year. Our program is still developing at this level and it will take several more seasons to bear real fruit.
We only take on South Florida as our first ever FBS opponent next season so we have
alot of growing yet to do.

jcmanson
October 20th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I have stated this before but I see us in the Big South at least four more seasons beyond 2011. And that is fine with me. We did ok last year as the newbies and I expect us to be in the hunt for the title again this year. Our program is still developing at this level and it will take several more seasons to bear real fruit.
We only take on South Florida as our first ever FBS opponent next season so we have
alot of growing yet to do.

In the hunt for the title??? I don't think so. I'm pretty sure we blanked you guys 31-0 early in the season. You were never "in the hunt for a title" last year.

bjtheflamesfan
October 20th, 2009, 07:52 PM
In the hunt for the title??? I don't think so. I'm pretty sure we blanked you guys 31-0 early in the season. You were never "in the hunt for a title" last year.

Actually it was 33-0: http://www.libertyflames.com/wwwadmin/globals/templates/1912/docs/stats/lufb0806.htm

Redwyn
October 20th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Actually it was 33-0: http://www.libertyflames.com/wwwadmin/globals/templates/1912/docs/stats/lufb0806.htm

Didn't you drop a game to Presby a week or so later? Any given Saturday mate. I'd say one game out is more than satisfactory to term "contention"

BJuice
October 20th, 2009, 08:26 PM

I hope Nate makes a successful recovery. He is a Red-Shirt Freshman this year. If he gets a medical red-shirt for this season, he will still have four years of eligibility left. At this point, with this type of injury, progress is all you can ask for because the road to recovery is probably going to be long.

Get well soon, Nate!!!

kdinva
October 20th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I hope Nate makes a successful recovery. He is a Red-Shirt Freshman this year. If he gets a medical red-shirt for this season, he will still have four years of eligibility left. At this point, with this type of injury, progress is all you can ask for because the road to recovery is probably going to be long.

Get well soon, Nate!!!
I hope for a full recovery, too. But, if he has played in four (or more) games this season, that's it. Season "counts".

bjtheflamesfan
October 20th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I was more correcting my mate who posted below you (as the score was slightly inaccurate)

bjtheflamesfan
October 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Didn't you drop a game to Presby a week or so later? Any given Saturday mate. I'd say one game out is more than satisfactory to term "contention"

It was more for my friend who posted below you Redwyn...and believe me I dont think ANYBODY from Liberty has forgotten that Presby game from last year...

jcmanson
October 20th, 2009, 09:03 PM

Yes we lost to Presby, but what does that have to do with this conversation? Did you guys play Presby?!

Presby was not a member of the Big South last year. How many times does that have to be said? We have won 12 straight conference games covering 4 seasons.

Again, you were never in contention for a title last year. Noone in the Big South was other than LU.

elcid83
October 21st, 2009, 09:33 AM
In the Week 7 thread, I unsuccessfully attempted to discuss the importance of Tim Maypray to VMI's yardage production. Stony Brook now understands what I mean:

From Myron Hosea's CSN So South column: Tim Maypray of VMI produced 218 all-purpose yards: 86 rushing, 8 receiving, 102 on kickoff returns, and 22 on punt returns.

My point when responding to the Week 7 thread was that a win over VMI with and active Maypray is more "powerful" than a win over VMI when he is limited. He makes things happen - especially on special teams.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs206.snc1/7334_1168787973869_1053041569_30456584_6977358_s.j pg

hoseman
October 21st, 2009, 11:58 AM

PC whooped them like a dog last year.

SuperJon
October 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM
If three points is whooping like a dog, I'd hate to see what you called 07 and what you'll call this year. We could hang 100 on you if we wanted to.

OLDLCOACH111
October 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Yes we lost to Presby, but what does that have to do with this conversation? Did you guys play Presby?!

Presby was not a member of the Big South last year. How many times does that have to be said? We have won 12 straight conference games covering 4 seasons.

Again, you were never in contention for a title last year. Noone in the Big South was other than LU.

Actually, Presby was a transitional member of the big south, but technically just not eligible for a conference crown because of the transition period rule...

GridFan
October 21st, 2009, 12:46 PM
LU fans on here sure are touchy about Presbyterian. Alas, give it a rest. It wasn't a conference game, and bj is right: Nobody was in true contention for the league title last year.

With the resources LU is throwing into football right now, not many people will be able to compete with them within the league on a regular basis. The funding is reputed beyond solid for an FCS program.

OLDLCOACH111
October 21st, 2009, 12:52 PM
LU fans on here sure are touchy about Presbyterian. Alas, give it a rest. It wasn't a conference game, and bj is right: Nobody was in true contention for the league title last year.

With the resources LU is throwing into football right now, not many people will be able to compete with them within the league on a regular basis. The funding is reputed beyond solid for an FCS program.

Agreed.... Its hard to compete with money, facilities, transfers, etc. especially how big LU enrollment is compared to the rest of the big south...

No excuses though, Richmond found a way to do it within their league and the NCAA...xbowx

jcmanson
October 21st, 2009, 01:05 PM
We could hang 100 on you if we wanted to.

I hope we do

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 01:05 PM

Its almost 50% greater than most FCS programs. LU spends about $5.8 million a year on football. Most top-tier programs spend about $3-4 million on football.

jcmanson
October 21st, 2009, 01:09 PM
Actually, Presby was a transitional member of the big south, but technically just not eligible for a conference crown because of the transition period rule...

What I'm saying is the game in 08 did not count as a conference loss. Anyways, you proved what I was trying to say by saying no one contended for the championship.

And why wouldn't we be touchy about the PC game? That was an embarrassing loss and performance by our team. It cost us the playoffs. Revenge will be an ugly mofo this year.

jcmanson
October 21st, 2009, 01:11 PM
Its almost 50% greater than most FCS programs. LU spends about $5.8 million a year on football. Most top-tier programs spend about $3-4 million on football.

And it will all be worth it when we're hoisting the national championship trophy following the 2011 season.

OLDLCOACH111
October 21st, 2009, 01:21 PM
What I'm saying is the game in 08 did not count as a conference loss. Anyways, you proved what I was trying to say by saying no one contended for the championship.

And why wouldn't we be touchy about the PC game? That was an embarrassing loss and performance by our team. It cost us the playoffs. Revenge will be an ugly mofo this year.

Not arguing with you... Just helping you get your facts straight... you said they were not apart of the big south conference, they were apart, but their wins did not count toward a title...

jcmanson
October 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM
whatever

BigSouthFB
October 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Not arguing with you... Just helping you get your facts straight... you said they were not apart of the big south conference, they were apart, but their wins did not count toward a title...

Old I believe you are mistaken. Presby was still an independent last year technically. Their games never counted towards the big south record for any team they played. They did however count as a dI team for anyone trying to make the playoffs. The liberty team still has a conference win streak of 12 games

Libertine
October 21st, 2009, 01:53 PM
whatever

Clearly a former member of the Debate Club. xcoolx

jcmanson
October 21st, 2009, 02:15 PM
Clearly a former member of the Debate Club. xcoolx

xlolx

I just think it's pointless to keep arguing with this guy who is "getting my facts straight"

OLDLCOACH111
October 21st, 2009, 02:15 PM
Old I believe you are mistaken. Presby was still an independent last year technically. Their games never counted towards the big south record for any team they played. They did however count as a dI team for anyone trying to make the playoffs. The liberty team still has a conference win streak of 12 games

No sir your mistaken... They joined as a reclassifying member in 2007 from D-II..... Stat wise, and record wise, yes they were independent, but that's because they were a reclassifying member of the big south.. Since they joined in 2007,that is the reason they are able to compete for the conference championship so quickly...

Sly Fox
October 21st, 2009, 03:05 PM
I'm getting dizzy from the talking in circles. But I do miss Lib's wit appearing on a more regular basis.

ToTheLeft
October 21st, 2009, 03:26 PM
No sir your mistaken... They joined as a reclassifying member in 2007 from D-II..... Stat wise, and record wise, yes they were independent, but that's because they were a reclassifying member of the big south.. Since they joined in 2007,that is the reason they are able to compete for the conference championship so quickly...

Which is why they don't count as a Big South loss, and we are on a 12 game Big South Win Streak... which is the point we're trying to make.

Libertine
October 21st, 2009, 03:32 PM

Oh, this is fun. Since we're going in technicality circles, I'll add this: PC did not join the Big South in 2007. The conference accepted them in '07 but they did not technically become members until the beginning of the 2008 academic year. They became official conference members on the same day as Stony Brook.

All of which is completely irrelevant since the only team playing Presbyterian this week is VMI.

OLDLCOACH111
October 21st, 2009, 05:10 PM
xlolx

I just think it's pointless to keep arguing with this guy who is "getting my facts straight"

I just think it is pointless that LU fan ares are trying to find any and every way to discredit the loss to Presbyterian.... So you lost to them, own it...

I think Rocco has done a great job turning LU football around,We all know the last two years LU has dominated the conference, But they did lose one to Presbyterian( member or no member)which more than likely kept LU from getting an at large bid for the playoffs last year...

OLDLCOACH111
October 21st, 2009, 05:14 PM
Anyways.... Back to week 8xsmiley_wix

ToTheLeft
October 21st, 2009, 05:49 PM
I just think it is pointless that LU fan ares are trying to find any and every way to discredit the loss to Presbyterian.... So you lost to them, own it...

I think Rocco has done a great job turning LU football around,We all know the last two years LU has dominated the conference, But they did lose one to Presbyterian( member or no member)which more than likely kept LU from getting an at large bid for the playoffs last year...

No one is discrediting the loss. You're really twisting words here.

Someone brought up that other teams were in the hunt for the Big South the past couple years, which is incorrect. Even if we the loss to Presby had counted as a Big South loss, we still would have been without equal in the Big South. And THAT'S the point. No one is discrediting the loss. We lost to Presby. Come to flamefans.com and you'll see that we know we lost to Presby. A couple of posters have "Stupid Hose" in their signatures. We are playing for revenge this year. No one is discredting the loss to Presby, we are saying that, even with that loss, we're the best in the BSC and it isn't close, and that no one will challenge us for that unless something very, very odd happens.

EagleDawg
October 21st, 2009, 06:18 PM
To all LU Posters - It's harder to stay at the top of the mountain than to climb to the peak. I don't believe it will be odd when Liberty gets knocked off their perch at the top of Big South, it will happen, it always does. It may not be 09 or 10 but it will happen. It happens to all of the dominant programs in their respective conferences in both BCS and FCS. I just hope it's GW while EagleDawg, Jr. is playing for the Runnin Bulldogs. It might well be one of the other schools and it might happen sooner than most of the LU fans think. You walk around with the target on your back long enough and someone will take their shot and be successful.

I'll go so far as to predict than no matter how good a job coaching Rocco does, if LU keeps winning then one Saturday complacency will set in and the opponent will play their complete game and then it won't seem odd, it will be what the heck just happened. It's too inhuman for these college players to play week in week out with a championship hunger to win game after game, season after season. History is what it is. Enjoy the ride but beware arrogance as it is the mother of complacency.

Go Runnin Bulldogs!

ToTheLeft
October 21st, 2009, 06:26 PM
To all LU Posters - It's harder to stay at the top of the mountain than to climb to the peak. I don't believe it will be odd when Liberty gets knocked off their perch at the top of Big South, it will happen, it always does. It may not be 09 or 10 but it will happen. It happens to all of the dominant programs in their respective conferences in both BCS and FCS. I just hope it's GW while EagleDawg, Jr. is playing for the Runnin Bulldogs. It might well be one of the other schools and it might happen sooner than most of the LU fans think. You walk around with the target on your back long enough and someone will take their shot and be successful.

I'll go so far as to predict than no matter how good a job coaching Rocco does, if LU keeps winning then one Saturday complacency will set in and the opponent will play their complete game and then it won't seem odd, it will be what the heck just happened. It's too inhuman for these college players to play week in week out with a championship hunger to win game after game, season after season. History is what it is. Enjoy the ride but beware arrogance as it is the mother of complacency.

Go Runnin Bulldogs!

LU Fans can be as arrogant as we wish. The team and the coach stay hungry every week. That's what matters.

Hoseinexile07
October 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM
LU Fans can be as arrogant as we wish.

Yes you can. While enjoying your success, though, just remember that y'all weren't that great only a few years ago. Things change.

EagleDawg
October 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM
ToTheLeft - Absolutely, be as arrogant as you want. As I said it breeds complacency. And complacency is the worst enemy for the Flames and their fans. Not only that but one reaps what they sow.

BigSouthFB
October 21st, 2009, 07:23 PM
I'm all for being confident but I think LU Fans need to remember where they were just 4 years ago. 1-10 with a close win over a d-2 team. I have a feeling coach Rocco won't let complacency or arrogence to leak into his lockerroom which is really all that matters but to all the opposing fans of Lu give them a little slack they are enjoying success they hadn't seen in awhile. I don't think any of the Lu fans deny the fact that the loss to presby was ugly and ultimately kept them out of the playoffs last year. I think everyone needs to lighten up a little. This conference is gettig better and I'm excited to see how it grows in the future.

kdinva
October 21st, 2009, 08:15 PM
Don't mean to stray, but I tried to listen to yesterday's weekly teleconference, and the Big South site "told me" I now had to pay for the privilegexmadx. Is that true, or did I do something wrong?xconfusedx

EagleDawg
October 21st, 2009, 08:25 PM
KD - Same thing for me. Free for the first 6 weeks and now they want to charge for it. Don't know whether it was a screw-up getting it up on the site in the wrong place/category or whether it's a permanent change. I don't like the notion for having to pay for something that should be free, especially given the limits of the press to call in and ask multiple questions of each coach. It's almost embarrassing that no more press/writers call in.

kdinva
October 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM
KD - Same thing for me. Free for the first 6 weeks and now they want to charge for it. Don't know whether it was a screw-up getting it up on the site in the wrong place/category or whether it's a permanent change. I don't like the notion for having to pay for something that should be free, especially given the limits of the press to call in and ask multiple questions of each coach. It's almost embarrassing that no more press/writers call in.
I wonder how much of each $6.95 Kallander getsxoopsx...........

Zeus69
October 21st, 2009, 09:25 PM
It was an extremely embarrasing loss and I still have no clue how we lost to Presby.. some of my fellow teammates were not focused and it cost us in the end. Still love the fact that we trashed ELON...... Flames should roll this weekend and the rest of the year..

Schfourteenteen
October 21st, 2009, 09:49 PM
There's a difference between programs falling off the top and where Liberty is at right now. The setup of the football program is second to none among Big South levels. Between our financial support, Strength Coaches and Danny Rocco directing the ship I doubt there will be "What happened to Coastal Day" in Lynchburg.

When one of those pieces is gone Liberty's expectations will probably decline, but at this point there is 0 reason to believe they'll fall to #2 in the near future. Of course coaches, staff, and money all can change in a short time.

Redwyn
October 21st, 2009, 10:30 PM
There's a difference between programs falling off the top and where Liberty is at right now. The setup of the football program is second to none among Big South levels. Between our financial support, Strength Coaches and Danny Rocco directing the ship I doubt there will be "What happened to Coastal Day" in Lynchburg.

When one of those pieces is gone Liberty's expectations will probably decline, but at this point there is 0 reason to believe they'll fall to #2 in the near future. Of course coaches, staff, and money all can change in a short time.

We really are forgetting that you're not the only large scale university in this conference....SBU may be new to scholly football, but I'd be very surprised if the Priore system (which, btw, will be entering next year in its full form and will still need 2 more years to fully mature) didn't make the Flames uncomfortable soon. A big statement will be a strong show later in Nov. Prob not a win, but at the very least a good attempt.

ToTheLeft
October 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM
We really are forgetting that you're not the only large scale university in this conference....SBU may be new to scholly football, but I'd be very surprised if the Priore system (which, btw, will be entering next year in its full form and will still need 2 more years to fully mature) didn't make the Flames uncomfortable soon. A big statement will be a strong show later in Nov. Prob not a win, but at the very least a good attempt.

You might have a big school but unless that big school pumps money in football, you might as well be CSUcks. SBU has everything in place to become a solid football program, but its all about the money and the leadership. Liberty has both. SBU? We'll see.

ToTheLeft
October 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM
ToTheLeft - Absolutely, be as arrogant as you want. As I said it breeds complacency. And complacency is the worst enemy for the Flames and their fans. Not only that but one reaps what they sow.

The fans outlook doesn't matter one bit. Montana and App fans experience a ton of success while being very arrogant about their teams. Why? They're well-led, talented teams that know how to win. The fans being arrogant does nothing for/to the team, and you're fooling yourself if you think the team thinks the same way the fans do.

And even IF complacency costs the Flames a game, like it did against Presby, there has to be someone there to catch up to us when we trip, otherwise we get up, finish the race, and win anyways. It's LU at number one, and three teams tied at number three. Until a number two steps up, this is a one dog show, barring catastrophic injury problems. Complacency isn't a permanent thing, all it takes is one slip up, even if it is just for one HALF of a football game, and the coaches get the team back on track. Liberty won't fall to that this year, anyways. These guys were around for the Presby game, and it will be a constant reminder that even the best can lose when they don't show up and play their hearts out.

clinchBoy
October 21st, 2009, 11:10 PM
[QUOTE=Schfourteenteen;1441764]There's a difference between programs falling off the top and where Liberty is at right now. The setup of the football program is second to none among Big South levels.

That about sums it up. Everyone else is playing for 2nd. Liberty does it the right way.

PhoenixSupreme
October 21st, 2009, 11:29 PM
The fans outlook doesn't matter one bit. Montana and App fans experience a ton of success while being very arrogant about their teams. Why? They're well-led, talented teams that know how to win. The fans being arrogant does nothing for/to the team, and you're fooling yourself if you think the team thinks the same way the fans do.

And even IF complacency costs the Flames a game, like it did against Presby, there has to be someone there to catch up to us when we trip, otherwise we get up, finish the race, and win anyways. It's LU at number one, and three teams tied at number three. Until a number two steps up, this is a one dog show, barring catastrophic injury problems. Complacency isn't a permanent thing, all it takes is one slip up, even if it is just for one HALF of a football game, and the coaches get the team back on track. Liberty won't fall to that this year, anyways. These guys were around for the Presby game, and it will be a constant reminder that even the best can lose when they don't show up and play their hearts out.

That's absolutely true. That's how it's basically been the past few years in the Big South...Liberty has not tripped yet, and when they lost their balance and were on one leg, no one pushed them to the ground. So Liberty just gets right up and continues along their way.

g-webb1994
October 21st, 2009, 11:30 PM
Back-to-back road games at G-W and at SB.....if LU runs the table, they will have earned it this year no doubt.

Libertine
October 22nd, 2009, 07:37 AM
Hey, something just occurred to me. There are games happening this week. Who knew?

Redwyn
October 22nd, 2009, 08:18 AM
You might have a big school but unless that big school pumps money in football, you might as well be CSUcks. SBU has everything in place to become a solid football program, but its all about the money and the leadership. Liberty has both. SBU? We'll see.

You are right, and my understanding is the proportion of the athletic budget (which is larger than LU by almost $1 million according to AGS sources) dedicated to football has been raised substantially. Let's see if it pays off :)

bodoyle
October 22nd, 2009, 08:26 AM
Hey, something just occurred to me. There are games happening this week. Who knew?

There are? I thought they called it after last week. News to me.

danefan
October 22nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
You are right, and my understanding is the proportion of the athletic budget (which is larger than LU by almost $1 million according to AGS sources) dedicated to football has been raised substantially. Let's see if it pays off :)

FYI - EADA reporting can be found here: http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/GetOneInstitutionData.aspx

Very interesting tool.

2007-2008 year:

Overall Athletic Budget:
Stony Brook: $21,325,451
Liberty: $20,788,335

Football Budget:
Stony Brook: $2,713,426
Liberty: $5,722,980

IaaScribe
October 22nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I use that site a lot because Liberty is a private school and is loath to disclose budget numbers, so FOIA is useless. Liberty's football budget is actually larger than UNCA's entire athletics budget.

gobluehose1
October 22nd, 2009, 09:38 AM
FYI - EADA reporting can be found here: http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/GetOneInstitutionData.aspx

Very interesting tool.

2007-2008 year:

Overall Athletic Budget:

Football Budget:

PC's info on that site is almost 2 years old....not very reliable

danefan
October 22nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
PC's info on that site is almost 2 years old....not very reliable

Its as reliable as you will find anywhere, unless your school posts it for review (which most don't).

This is the information your school is required to report to the NCAA. The latest information posted is from 2007-2008 class year.

IaaScribe
October 22nd, 2009, 09:51 AM
Correct. They'll post the 2008-09 information sometime during the summer. It's useful as a snapshot, to give you an idea of what kind of money a school is spending.

Redwyn
October 22nd, 2009, 10:03 AM

Very interesting tool.

2007-2008 year:

Overall Athletic Budget:

Football Budget:

This can't include capital costs, as it's generally unlikely that the school made over 3 mill last year. The new field turf, HD screen, and facility enhancements cost nearly the entire Football budget....

danefan
October 22nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
This can't include capital costs, as it's generally unlikely that the school made over 3 mill last year. The new field turf, HD screen, and facility enhancements cost nearly the entire Football budget....

The capital costs for your stadium fall into the "other" category because the facility is a multi-use facility. They also are equal for Title IX purposes because of the use by women's soccer and lax.

Redwyn
October 22nd, 2009, 10:29 AM
The capital costs for your stadium fall into the "other" category because the facility is a multi-use facility. They also are equal for Title IX purposes because of the use by women's soccer and lax.

Ahh, this makes sense. Thanks!

kirkblitz
October 22nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
interesting

EagleDawg
October 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
I think it's just awesome that Liberty is raising so much money and spending so much on their program. It exceeds anything that I've seen at the FCS level for the Big South (other schools), SOCON (all schools) and CAA (South Division schools). With the current administration in DC wanting to spread the wealth around, the rest of these lesser to do FCS schools are at a funding disadvantge and you know what that might mean, you got it, a federal mandate to spread the wealth around.

The Flames are using the George Steinbrenner plan, outspend everybody else and you enhance your chances to win it all. History shows, sometimes that works and sometimes it don't but does it ever hurt to have too much.

Now you Flames, please show a little mercy to your conference mates.

GridFan
October 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
Good for LU with the spending, and boy are they pumping the green paper in by the truck loads. Nearly $6 million on football alone? I know that takes into account coaches salaries and scholarships, but wow. Impressive.

Truth be told though, LU has been spending as much or more than most of the Big South in football for quite some time, at least this decade. This isn't a new development. The S&C staff, from what I'm told, is the true bite behind their bark in football, along with a well paid and well motivated coaching staff. That's the difference between 1-10 and 10-1 IMO. Credit there goes to the coaching staff.

The arrogance is a little surprising and a times disappointing, coming from a place that stands for what LU stands for. Doesn't set a good example. It comes with success sometimes though.

They are winning the arms race without any equals, and that might be nationally. Not just in the Big South. It should not come as a surprise to anyone that Liberty is dominating the league, especially in football. They have a competitive edge in all facets if my information is correct, albeit second/third hand.

1. Recruiting base is semi-national, and recruiting is funded well enough to cover those areas other schools in the league can't/don't.

2. Coaches are paid better (or as well) as any staff in the league.

3. Fan/alumni base is more loyal than most any other school in the region.

4. Facilities are now second to none, and only getting better.

5. Exposure is equal to most in FCS with in-house TV ability.

6. Strength program is nationally renowned, and has been for years. Again, with facilities, is only improving.

SumItUp
October 22nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
The arrogance is a little surprising and a times disappointing, coming from a place that stands for what LU stands for. Doesn't set a good example. It comes with success sometimes though.

I understand your thoughts, GridFan. Liberty is a unique school and has a different objective than most schools in the country, BUT it is made up of individual students. Sometimes it is difficult to read someone's tone on a message board, however. Banter/smack talk may have previously existed. A number of LU fans that lived through a few tough years prior to Coach Rocco's help in the football program resurgence have had to maintain a defensive posture for quite awhile. Maybe we are learning how to be good winners again.

Good times are ahead for Liberty athletics.

EagleDawg
October 22nd, 2009, 04:12 PM
GW vs SVU: Good thing that a weaker opponent is on tap for this weekend. The Shelby Star is reporting several and I hear as many as 14 players have come down with the flu including several starters. Hope everyone gets well soon. Should be able to still easily handle SVU but the long term effects of the flu bug could linger into next week's preparation and critical contest with Stony Brook. Get well Dawgs!

Sly Fox
October 22nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Your G-W walk-ons would likely waltz over the Mormons this Saturday.

As for Liberty's advantages, we are doing everything we can to position ourselves for bigger & better things. Obviously we are not for everyone. But our upside based on our mission is tantalizingly high. But we have a great deal to overcome int he meantime.

I agree that we were indeed a sleeping giant the early portion of the decade after Coach Rutigliano stepped away. But we clearly have the type of leadership in place right now who understand fundamentally what it takes to progress on the field & in the stands.

Keenan
October 22nd, 2009, 07:55 PM
New to AGS...

Liberty 31 CSucks 14 - not quite the lopsided loss most Flames fans are predicting. I think CSU will give us a better game than we're expecting down there.

VMI 28 Presby 10

Coastal Carolina 14 Stony Brook 28

Southern Virginia 0 Gardner Webb 43

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM
This game was us being complacent... and we won.

Good teams win games. LU got their scare, got the win, and now it's time to roll through Presby.

kdinva
October 24th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Yeah, Liberty with the effort good enough to win.........I really expected a 24 point win for LU...........

VMI 31, PC 20..............VMI: 424 yards rushing, but 4 lost fumbles again:( kept our score down. PC uses a fake FG and a hook and lateral pass play for two of their TD's........at least VMI on the good side of a final score.

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Yeah, Liberty with the effort good enough to win.........I really expected a 24 point win for LU...........

VMI 31, PC 20..............VMI: 424 yards rushing, but 4 lost fumbles again:( kept our score down. PC uses a fake FG and a hook and lateral pass play for two of their TD's........at least VMI on the good side of a final score.

Yeah, good job for the Keydets. Usually you guys can't overcome the turnover bug, so a win despite losing the ball a few times is a good sign.

kdinva
October 24th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah, good job for the Keydets. Usually you guys can't overcome the turnover bug, so a win despite losing the ball a few times is a good sign.
Two of our four fumbles were QB/center exchangesxbawlingx; which makes approx. 8 of those types of lost fumbles so far this season.xbangx

bucman1
October 24th, 2009, 06:17 PM
liberty should not have won that game. csu dominated on just about every stat. csu lost the game. for example, total yards 165-341. if not for csu's mistakes that game didn't have to be close. the offense and special teams gave liberty 13 points in the first quarter. at half time they had 17 rushes for 14 yards. liberty's offense until the final game winning drive was nonexistent. two weeks in a row csu has blown it on the last drive. liberty did a good job on the last drive but nothing other than that. check out the stats yourself http://csusports.com/stats/2009FB/1024CSU.HTM#GAME.SCO

csubuccaneers
October 24th, 2009, 06:19 PM
good game bucs, maybe next year.

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 06:35 PM
liberty should not have won that game. csu dominated on just about every stat. csu lost the game. for example, total yards 165-341. if not for csu's mistakes that game didn't have to be close. the offense and special teams gave liberty 13 points in the first quarter. at half time they had 17 rushes for 14 yards. liberty's offense until the final game winning drive was nonexistent. two weeks in a row csu has blown it on the last drive. liberty did a good job on the last drive but nothing other than that. check out the stats yourself http://csusports.com/stats/2009FB/1024CSU.HTM#GAME.SCO

Good teams win games. Bad teams lose. Stats are for losers. Good luck next week...

justsaying
October 24th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Good Game CSU!!!

I know there is no moral victories, but I can guarantee the rest of the big south is going to be calling your coaching staff non-stop for this game tape.... You obviously exposed a weakness within LU.....

I was following the game, and you guys left it all on the field, and really should of won.... Anyways, I am interested to hear how the LU fans try to play down their teams performance....

Just maybe CSU is not that bad and LU is not that goodxeekx..... ha ha im justsaying

jcmanson
October 24th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Yep, I'm sure CSU will beat CCU by 38 xlolx

A win is a win. Congrats to CSU for outplaying us, but all that matters is the final score. Say what you want, but you lost. And our Big South conference win streak continues now at 13.

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Good Game CSU!!!

I know there is no moral victories, but I can guarantee the rest of the big south is going to be calling your coaching staff non-stop for this game tape.... You obviously exposed a weakness within LU.....

I was following the game, and you guys left it all on the field, and really should of won.... Anyways, I am interested to hear how the LU fans try to play down their teams performance....

Just maybe CSU is not that bad and LU is not that goodxeekx..... ha ha im justsaying

Play down our win... hmm...

We scored more than the other team... is that playing things down?

We didn't turn the ball over as much as CSU (which is what winning teams do, hold onto the ball and force turnovers), our defense played well considering it had to do all the work, and our special teams was solid.

bodoyle
October 24th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Yep, I'm sure CSU will beat CCU by 38 xlolx

A win is a win. Congrats to CSU for outplaying us, but all that matters is the final score. Say what you want, but you lost. And our Big South conference win streak continues now at 13.

I was thinking 40+

justsaying
October 24th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Play down our win... hmm...

We scored more than the other team... is that playing things down?

We didn't turn the ball over as much as CSU (which is what winning teams do, hold onto the ball and force turnovers), our defense played well considering it had to do all the work, and our special teams was solid.

Ha ha like I said, playing down your win.....xrotatehx

bucman1
October 24th, 2009, 07:33 PM
when one of the turn overs were win the ball bounced off of a guys hands, not being hit and landing perfectly into a db's hands, i wouldn't call that a forced turnover. but you guys did win and indeed that is all that matters. lu special teams dominated csu special teams

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Ha ha like I said, playing down your win.....xrotatehx

Get back to me after we raise the trophy for the third year in a row, alright chief?

justsaying
October 24th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Get back to me after we raise the trophy for the third year in a row, alright chief?

From the looks of it, I would not bet on itxcoolx

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 07:43 PM
From the looks of it, I would not bet on itxcoolx

Based on what?

You're doing an amazing job trolling, but a terrible job providing any kind of information.

Liberty smoked Coastal, won on the road at Lafayette, and hung with West Virginia. Those three things are without match by any other Big South Team. No one has anything close to those three accomplishments.

justsaying
October 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Based on what?

You're doing an amazing job trolling, but a terrible job providing any kind of information.

Liberty smoked Coastal, won on the road at Lafayette, and hung with West Virginia. Those three things are without match by any other Big South Team. No one has anything close to those three accomplishments.

...and barely beat the so called "worst team in the conference" by your opinion anywaysxcoffeex

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 07:56 PM
...and barely beat the so called "worst team in the conference" by your opinion anywaysxcoffeex

Yup. But last time I checked, barely beat goes in the win column.

So I guess that Iowa shouldn't be undefeated because they barely beat Northern Iowa, right?

OH WAIT.

Good teams find ways to win. Bad teams lose even if they outgain their opponents.

justsaying
October 24th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Yup. But last time I checked, barely beat goes in the win column.

So I guess that Iowa shouldn't be undefeated because they barely beat Northern Iowa, right?

OH WAIT.

Good teams find ways to win. Bad teams lose even if they outgain their opponents.

But Liberty is not Iowaxsmhx

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 08:02 PM
But Liberty is not Iowaxsmhx

Nice job distracting from my point. Come back to this thread when you're ready to talk football like a big boy.

justsaying
October 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Nice job distracting from my point. Come back to this thread when you're ready to talk football like a big boy.

HA ha..I don't need to wast my time talking football with some arrogant LU fan, who is probably sitting in his dorm room, behind a computer screen, spending 23 hrs a day screening message boards like AGS, to defend against anyone who dares says anything about the LU Flames!!!xnonono2x Ha ha...Get a life man...

Real "big boys" admits their teams faults, and look for improvements, and move on...Stop picking apart every detail of every game to make LU looks like the untouchables...

Lets tell the truth, you have 1 quality win against a questionable quality team...xreadx

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 08:22 PM
And Chuck has nothing.

Just like the rest of the Big South.

justsaying
October 24th, 2009, 08:26 PM
And Chuck has nothing.

Just like the rest of the Big South.

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 08:30 PM
You don't have a point other than to troll Liberty fans.

LU has accomplished more this year than anyone in the league, and they continue to win. 13 game Big South Win Streak, win over PL front-runner Lafayette, last year's win over Elon... ever since CCU stopped being relevant and Liberty beat CSU and knocked them out of the polls permanently a couple of years ago, it's been all Liberty, all the time.

Oh, and you can't spell sucks without CSU.

justsaying
October 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM
You don't have a point other than to troll Liberty fans.

LU has accomplished more this year than anyone in the league, and they continue to win. 13 game Big South Win Streak, win over PL front-runner Lafayette, last year's win over Elon... ever since CCU stopped being relevant and Liberty beat CSU and knocked them out of the polls permanently a couple of years ago, it's been all Liberty, all the time.

xblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahx xgiveadamnx

BJuice
October 24th, 2009, 10:40 PM

Oh, now that is real original. It's time you get some new material. It only shows that you can spell.

Charleston Southern has nothing? Really? Ask your team what Charleston Southern has.

Anyway, just got back from Charleston. A GREAT game by my Buccaneers. LU is very fortunate to be leaving Charleston with a win.

I saw this one coming. I knew it was going to be close. I didn't get on here to post a prediction because I knew it would have only gotten the LU faithful fired up. That would have only led to more meaningless discussion. As we can all see, trying to have a meaningful discussion with the LU faithful is like trying to beat a dead horse. It's like trying to talk to the wall. It's like talking in circles. It's like...well it's uselsess. The superiority complex and elitist attitude is really disgusting. Today proved that a loss is closer than you might think. Today proved that even though you might dump loads of money into your program, you are never invincible.

As for LU...

You are not as good as you think. Your defense got the ball run down their throat. Your team got outplayed today. Your team was the recipient of a major gift turnover only yards from the end zone. Since you seem to think you have a chance at the FCS playoffs, even if you win the conference championship, going undefeated in the Big South, you are not even close to deserving a spot in the playoffs. You are not good enough based on what I saw today.

Yes, good teams execute when it gets to crunch time. Your team did that today. You are a good team. Not a GREAT team. You deserve the win because you executed at the end and we didn't. You are very fortunate to be going home with a win.

As for CSU...

We are better than people think. Once again, Coach Mills and his coaching staff have CSU playing above expectations of those outside Charleston Southern. Those "inside" the CSU family know we have a good team. We played the two best teams in the Big South and lost each game by 7 points with a chance to tie and/or win both at the end. Maybe now people will quit ranking us just ahead of PC at the bottom of the power rankings. I believe we are #3.

Today, we did not execute in the early stages of the game on offense and in crunch time at the end. Early in the game we could not execute the swing pass leading to two turnovers. In my opinion we ran too much in the first quarter. I know we were playing against a strong wind in the 1st quarter, but we ran way too much in my opinion. Punting killed us in the 1st quater. It looked like our punter was having an attitude problem in the 1st quater. The Wild Buc (Wildcat) offense worked great for us late in the game. LU could not stop it. It allowed us to march down the field on an 80-yard drive running it down their throat for a TD. Our defense had a great day. We completely dominated the LU offense.

Our 2-minute offense is terrible. It is absolutely dreadful. It has been for a while. I can't remember the last time I saw us execute a 2-minute offense effectively, and I see just about every home game every year. Our clock management skills are terrible. There is too much time wasted turning to the sideline looking for a play or watching signals. Today, we came out of an on-field timeout and had to burn one because we were about to take a delay of game penalty. That kind of indecisiveness and disorganization is completely unacceptable. We have to be able to run a 2-minute offense.

Plain and simple, this should have been Charleston Southern win. There is no such thing as a good loss or a moral victory. LU was dominated by Charleston Southern.

We have four conference games left. If we don't execute and we don't continue to work, we will lose. The margin for error is very small. However, I think we will go 4-0 in the final four games and finish 4-2 in the conference. I think a third place finish is about right for us.

Great game, Charleston Southern. Go BUCS!!!

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Oh, now that is real original. It's time you get some new material. It only shows that you can spell.

Charleston Southern has nothing? Really? Ask your team what Charleston Southern has.

Anyway, just got back from Charleston. A GREAT game by my Buccaneers. LU is very fortunate to be leaving Charleston with a win.

I saw this one coming. I knew it was going to be close. I didn't get on here to post a prediction because I knew it would have only gotten the LU faithful fired up. That would have only led to more meaningless discussion. As we can all see, trying to have a meaningful discussion with the LU faithful is like trying to beat a dead horse. It's like trying to talk to the wall. It's like talking in circles. It's like...well it's uselsess. The superiority complex and elitist attitude is really disgusting. Today proved that a loss is closer than you might think. Today proved that even though you might dump loads of money into your program, you are never invincible.

As for LU...

You are not as good as you think. Your defense got the ball run down their throat. Your team got outplayed today. Your team was the recipient of a major gift turnover only yards from the end zone. Since you seem to think you have a chance at the FCS playoffs, even if you win the conference championship, going undefeated in the Big South, you are not even close to deserving a spot in the playoffs. You are not good enough based on what I saw today.

Yes, good teams execute when it gets to crunch time. Your team did that today. You are a good team. Not a GREAT team. You deserve the win because you executed at the end and we didn't. You are very fortunate to be going home with a win.

As for CSU...

We are better than people think. Once again, Coach Mills and his coaching staff have CSU playing above expectations of those outside Charleston Southern. Those "inside" the CSU family know we have a good team. We played the two best teams in the Big South and lost each game by 7 points with a chance to tie and/or win both at the end. Maybe now people will quit ranking us just ahead of PC at the bottom of the power rankings. I believe we are #3.

Today, we did not execute in the early stages of the game on offense and in crunch time at the end. Early in the game we could not execute the swing pass leading to two turnovers. In my opinion we ran too much in the first quarter. I know we were playing against a strong wind in the 1st quarter, but we ran way too much in my opinion. Punting killed us in the 1st quater. It looked like our punter was having an attitude problem in the 1st quater. The Wild Buc (Wildcat) offense worked great for us late in the game. LU could not stop it. It allowed us to march down the field on an 80-yard drive running it down their throat for a TD. Our defense had a great day. We completely dominated the LU offense.

Our 2-minute offense is terrible. It is absolutely dreadful. It has been for a while. I can't remember the last time I saw us execute a 2-minute offense effectively, and I see just about every home game every year. Our clock management skills are terrible. There is too much time wasted turning to the sideline looking for a play or watching signals. Today, we came out of an on-field timeout and had to burn one because we were about to take a delay of game penalty. That kind of indecisiveness and disorganization is completely unacceptable. We have to be able to run a 2-minute offense.

Plain and simple, this should have been Charleston Southern win. There is no such thing as a good loss or a moral victory. LU was dominated by Charleston Southern.

We have four conference games left. If we don't execute and we don't continue to work, we will lose. The margin for error is very small. However, I think we will go 4-0 in the final four games and finish 4-2 in the conference. I think a third place finish is about right for us.

Great game, Charleston Southern. Go BUCS!!!

Right, so I will just forget about the fact that we were hanging close with West Virginia, and beat Coastal by 40, and since we struggled for ONE game, we're now not as dominant in the conference as we once were?

If ANYTHING, this game proves that CSU is WORSE than Presby. LU has always been hit or miss in road games, and last year we went to Clinton and were beaten by a bad Presby team. This year, we go to South Carolina again and face yet another bad team, and we struggle mightily, yet we still win, because as poorly as we played, CSU just played that much worse when it came to something that actually mattered.

And CSU did not dominate LU. LU was a couple of shot-in-the-foot penalties from being up 14-0 early, which would have led to a more air-based CSU attack, which would have fallen on its face. And the "Wild Buc" only worked because it was something we weren't expecting, and our defense had been on the field non-stop in the second half. And obviously, the defense was not dominant over LU's offense, because if I remember correctly, the Flames marched down the field for a score in crunch time. Dominance happens over 60 minutes, make sure to let your boys know that.

You're not going 4-2 in conference.

"As we can all see, trying to have a meaningful discussion with the LU faithful is like trying to beat a dead horse. It's like trying to talk to the wall. It's like talking in circles. It's like...well it's uselsess. The superiority complex and elitist attitude is really disgusting. Today proved that a loss is closer than you might think. Today proved that even though you might dump loads of money into your program, you are never invincible."

This is the thing I want to address most.

First of all, this is a meaningful discussion. Not every meaningful discussion has to include "We love CSU and think they're amazing...", but since you all seem to think that LU fans think about nothing but LU and can't say a single good word about anyone else...

-Ivey and Stephenson are terrific backs, and I give them props for making yards and finding gaps and fighting hard against a good defense.

-Your coach knows what he's doing.

-Coleman on defense was a disruptor and did a good job getting our offense out of rhythm.

Second of all, no one thinks we're invincible. Come to our site and see what we say. Read my comments during the game. I could tell after the first couple drives that we weren't playing well, and that we were going to give CSU every opportunity to win the game. And that scared me. We were playing a lot like we did against Elon in 07 and Presby in 08. However, coming off of the win, and riding high on the thrill of a close victory, of course we're going to be a little cocky. Who wouldn't? You're telling me CSU fans would have been gracious in victory, and would not have chipred at LU fans at all? Please. Get over yourself if you really think that LU fans are worse than any other winning team's fans. Maybe CSU needs to win more to remember how it feels to be a fan of a winner.

Anyways, I really do wish you guys good luck. I mean, I have lost a lot of respect for your fanbase after this game, but at the very least I want to see you guys beat Presby.

g-webb1994
October 24th, 2009, 11:33 PM
wow....now isn't this fun to sit back and read...xlolxxbowx

FWIW, G-W won 65-0, allowed SVA only 91 yards, never got into red zone...got some good game reps for our backup QB anyway.....

BJuice
October 24th, 2009, 11:42 PM
And CSU did not dominate LU.

First Downs

CSU = 16
LU = 9

Yards Rushing

CSU = 185
LU = 55

Yards Passing

CSU = 156
LU = 110

Total Yards (Offense)

CSU = 341
LU = 165

Time of Possession

CSU = 31:22
LU = 28:38

Charleston Southern had more than double the total yards of offense of LU. I understand that it may be a hard fact for you to swallow, but you were dominated. Especially because you say we are such a bad team. Bad teams should not dominate "elite" teams, such as yours. xbowx xrolleyesx

One of your drives started at the 28-yardline because of a CSU turnover and you got a field goal. Another drive started at the 1-yardline because of a CSU turnover and you got a TD. Both turnovers were interceptions and led to 10 points. Mistakes and the inability to execute down the stretch (in the last two minutes) are what doomed CSU.

SuperJon
October 24th, 2009, 11:48 PM
The "You can't spell sucks without CSU" think should be changed to "You can't spell CSU without USC" because apparently that's how you spell CSU. Well, that's how you spell it if you check with the cheerleaders leading the flags out pregame.

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 11:48 PM
So, wait, now it's a BAD thing to capitalize off of turnovers?

OLDLCOACH111
October 24th, 2009, 11:59 PM
wow....now isn't this fun to sit back and read...xlolxxbowx

FWIW, G-W won 65-0, allowed SVA only 91 yards, never got into red zone...got some good game reps for our backup QB anyway.....

lol.... I'm sitting back laughing at some of these post... That justsaying guy is kinda funny... xlolx

Anyways.. Good win for the dogs from a moral boost and momentum standpoint, however, a must win next week to keep championship hope alive... One game at a timexsmiley_wix

Schfourteenteen
October 25th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Jay Mills is a great coach.

And I doubt there was ANY point ANYONE felt Chuck South was going to win the game.

And Chuck South needs to go DIII. That crap is below high school level. The way Liberty played today? That crap was below high school level.

ToTheLeft
October 25th, 2009, 12:14 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65332

Week 9 picks are up, and, shockingly, I had some nice things to say. I am really not trying to be a big bully, and you should really not get so upset with the things I say during/right after a game. I was convinced we were going to lose that game today, I even posted on FlameFans that we would lose about halfway thru the 2nd half... glad we pulled it out.

And seriously, CSU has some athletes, and Mills is a great coach. There is a future there is the school stays committed to the program. I know it's too late for most of you CSU fans to give a flip about a word from any of my posts, but there ya go.

kirkblitz
October 25th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I was thinking 40+

30-0 most likely xbawlingx

BJuice
October 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I was convinced we were going to lose that game today, I even posted on FlameFans that we would lose about halfway thru the 2nd half... glad we pulled it out.

And seriously, CSU has some athletes, and Mills is a great coach. There is a future there is the school stays committed to the program. I know it's too late for most of you CSU fans to give a flip about a word from any of my posts, but there ya go.

I can't complain about anything there. Realistic objectivity is all I ask. I know it is hard for ANY of us when it comes to our teams. Expecially college teams, when you are talking about the passions that run deep because of pulling for alma maters.

I posted some realistic comments about CSU and our lack of execution in the beginning and at the end of the game.

Bottom line is we had #23 or #24 whatever Liberty was on the ropes. We pushed around the giant in our conference and really beat them for the most part. We just could not deliver the knock out punch when we had the chance.

On the last drive for Liberty, there was a botched snap that backed them way up to midfield. It took them out of field goal position. Best case scenario, if we fall on the ball we get the ball with a chance to score go-ahead points with virtually no time left for Liberty to come back. Next best case, they are backed up to midfield out of field goal position and our defense holds. We get the ball and drive for points to end the game. Next best case, we go to OT. Worst case scenario, we allow Liberty to go from being backed up deep because of a botched snap, get a first down, and ultimately score a go-ahead TD.

Bottom line, CSU had a chance to win and should have won that game yesterday. We could not execute when it came to crunch time. I know Coach Mills and staff will use this as an opportunity to grow and improve so that the next time we are in that situation we can get the job done.

On a side note, Coach Kelly (CSU) was great on the postgame interview on the radio. We have a great group of coaches who I hope are around for a while.

Again, great game, BUCS!!! Time to move on. Up next for my Bucs...@ VMI.

SuperJon
October 25th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Ok, I haven't said anything on here, but all of this "we were so close" comments are a little one sided.

You fail to mention that we were this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/SuperJon/Picture1.png) close to blocking a punt on the 20 yard line.

You fail to mention that Brent Vinson had a ball bounce off his chest on your last drive that if caught, would've completely stopped any scoring chance you had.

You fail to mention that we had so many self-induced penalties in the first half that we gave up eight points. With those points, you would've had to throw the ball and would've never been as effective as you were able to be running the option and end arounds out of the wildcat.

Yes, Charleston Southern played well and had a chance to move on. However, you cannot say that Liberty didn't shoot themselves in the foot on multiple occasions.

BJuice
October 25th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Charleston Southern Buccaneers' Upset Bid Falls Short (http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/oct/25/bucs-upset-bid-falls-short/)

If statistics decided the winner of a football game, Charleston Southern would still be celebrating an upset win over nationally-ranked and two-time defending Big South Conference champion Liberty.

The defense, however, was as dominant as it has been in several years against a conference opponent, limiting Liberty to only 165 total yards and only 55 yards rushing on 30 attempts.

"It was a tremendous effort by our defense today," said CSU head coach Jay Mills. "The offense gave them the ball twice down deep in our end so, in essence, we held them to 10 points. Liberty has unbelievable offensive numbers and our defense pretty much shut them down for most of the game."

Late in the first half, Paglia missed a 30-yard field goal, only his second miss of the season. This after CSU was stopped on a third-and-inches from the 10-yard line when Antwan Ivey was tackled for a 3-yard loss.

"It was a power play and designed to run up in there, but Antwan cut it outside," said Mills. "He made a decision, trying to make a play, and it didn't work. Had we been a little short on fourth down, we were going for it. Not getting any points out of it was disappointing."

CSU's last drive began at its own 10 after a penalty on the kickoff. The Bucs were able to reach the Liberty 18-yard line with under 20 seconds to play. A fourth-down pass with no time left was tipped away at the line.

"Years ago, we were talking about a winning season. Now we're talking about the disappointment of losing to a nationally-ranked team in the final minutes so that speaks volumes for how far this program has come," said Mills. "Our expectations are now to win, and we did not get that done today."

SuperJon
October 25th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Ok, so we left two touchdowns on the board and got field goals instead. That's 8 points.

We missed a field goal. That's 3 points.

If we would've made the interception, you wouldn't have had a chance to have the 4th down pass that was tipped at the line.

You can say all kinds of if's in a game like this.

The facts are that both teams made mistakes. Both teams were in a position to win. Liberty proved they were a better team by capitalizing on the mistakes of the opposition and making plays when it counted. It was not pretty but an ugly win is better than a pretty loss.