PDA

View Full Version : Marc Mariani - Montana Receiver/Returner

Green26
October 18th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Mariani leads the nation in punt returns, averaging 24.1 per return.

He's second in the nation in yards per catch, at 21.7.

He had an exciting 82 yard punt return yesterday, which was a critical play of the game. He also had a nice end-around reverse run for a two-point conversion.

While he has only 25 catches this year and had only 3 catches for 50 yards yesterday; for the season, he has 6 TD's and has had critical catches, runs after catches and TD's in most of the Griz wins. He is an exciting player to watch, a big playmaker, and is a threat to go all the way everytime he has the ball in his hands.
Terrrific speed and hands too, and tough.

Too bad he hasn't found his way on the Payton Watch list. It was a mistake not to put him on the original list, and a mistake not to add him to the recent revised list.

His long punt return is just after the 5-minute mark of the linked highlights. Two defenders were coming down on him as he caught the ball. He managed to get by the two guys by bouncing back and making several quick jukes/cuts, made several more nice cuts as he progressed up field, cut to the sideline, caught up with some blockers, and was patient while the blockers cleared the final path.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/news_item.aspx?n=8348&m=18

gbhmt
October 18th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Definitely the best receiver I've seen in years at UM. I was also surprised he wasn't on the watch list at the beginning of the season, as he scored 15 receiving TD's last year. He's got great lateral movement, superb hands, and 4.4 speed. Deserves recognition.

Ronbo
October 18th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Mariani leads the nation in punt returns, averaging 24.1 per return.

He's second in the nation in yards per catch, at 21.7.

He had an exciting 82 yard punt return yesterday, which was a critical play of the game. He also had a nice end-around reverse run for a two-point conversion.

While he has only 25 catches this year and had only 3 catches for 50 yards yesterday; for the season, he has 6 TD's and has had critical catches, runs after catches and TD's in most of the Griz wins. He is an exciting player to watch, a big playmaker, and is a threat to go all the way everytime he has the ball in his hands.
Terrrific speed and hands too, and tough.

Too bad he hasn't found his way on the Payton Watch list. It was a mistake not to put him on the original list, and a mistake not to add him to the recent revised list.

His long punt return is just after the 5-minute mark of the linked highlights. Two defenders were coming down on him as he caught the ball. He managed to get by the two guys by bouncing back and making several quick jukes/cuts, made several more nice cuts as he progressed up field, cut to the sideline, caught up with some blockers, and was patient while the blockers cleared the final path.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/news_item.aspx?n=8348&m=18

To many targets for the Griz QB's to go to. The top receivers will be the ones that are their team's only hope and primary go-to man. They will have many more opportunities than Marc gets.

Eight Legger
October 18th, 2009, 12:13 PM
First of all, the Payton "list" is pointless and absurd. Why do voters for the Payton award need an official list to tell them who they are allowed to vote for? How about they just wait until the season ends, then vote for who they consider to be the best player?

This "list" would indicate to me that some greater authority feels the need to tell voters who the good players are -- which means to me that the voters aren't qualified to vote in the first place. It is just as stupid as a "preseason" All-America team or all-conference team.

Secondly, there are a lot of curious choices on this list, and several absurd omissions. Mariani is one, and Eric Ward is another.

I Bleed Purple
October 18th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Still second best receiver in the Big Sky though. Didn't have the longest punt return in the Sky last week either.

grizzpaw
October 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Still second best receiver in the Big Sky though. Didn't have the longest punt return in the Sky last week either.

only in your mindxsmiley_wixxthumbsupx

toon IS very good alsoxthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
October 18th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Even if he was on the list, he'd have to have an absurd season to win the Payton as only one receiver has won it.

gbhmt
October 18th, 2009, 02:56 PM

Mariani has done nearly as much as Toone in half the touches. He's the bigger playmaker. Doesn't put out as much raw stats as Toone but that's not what we need him for. You can't clearly say that Toone is any better.

I Bleed Purple
October 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Mariani has done nearly as much as Toone in half the touches. He's the bigger playmaker. Doesn't put out as much raw stats as Toone but that's not what we need him for. You can't clearly say that Toone is any better.

That's laughable because Toone is obviously a playmaker. What he also is, and Mariani isn't, is a possession receiver.

Mariani compares more to our Mike Phillips, our number 2 receiver.

Native
October 18th, 2009, 03:10 PM
First of all, the Payton "list" is pointless and absurd. Why do voters for the Payton award need an official list to tell them who they are allowed to vote for? How about they just wait until the season ends, then vote for who they consider to be the best player?

This "list" would indicate to me that some greater authority feels the need to tell voters who the good players are -- which means to me that the voters aren't qualified to vote in the first place. It is just as stupid as a "preseason" All-America team or all-conference team.

Secondly, there are a lot of curious choices on this list, and several absurd omissions. Mariani is one, and Eric Ward is another.

Pointless... let's do away with sports magazines and blog sites ... a waste of time ... just wait until they play the game... why do we need those pesky fans, anyway? ...they don't know anything... and why play football? just a waste of time... xrolleyesx

Native
October 18th, 2009, 03:22 PM

Mariani is a great receiver, indeed! Any team will have to carefully take him into consideration.

Fortunately for Weber, the Wildcats have more than one lock-down corner and more than one premier receiver.

gbhmt
October 18th, 2009, 03:38 PM
That's laughable because Toone is obviously a playmaker. What he also is, and Mariani isn't, is a possession receiver.

Mariani compares more to our Mike Phillips, our number 2 receiver.

The bigger playmaker argument comes with Mariani's far superior yards per catch. You can look at every single touchdown Mariani has scored this season and he hasn't caught a single one in the endzone. Every catch has been a short to medium length pass with Mariani flat out beating people in the open field. That's the mark of a playmaker. Just give him the ball and he won't be touched. You're using the same argument as you did last year when Mariani had the most TD catches. He does more with the ball when he gets it than anyone else, there's no disproving that.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 18th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I still can't figure out for the life of me why he doesn't see more touches. xeyebrowxxcoffeex

Native
October 18th, 2009, 03:51 PM
The bigger playmaker argument comes with Mariani's far superior yards per catch. You can look at every single touchdown Mariani has scored this season and he hasn't caught a single one in the endzone. Every catch has been a short to medium length pass with Mariani flat out beating people in the open field. That's the mark of a playmaker. Just give him the ball and he won't be touched. You're using the same argument as you did last year when Mariani had the most TD catches. He does more with the ball when he gets it than anyone else, there's no disproving that.

I take the point that Mariani is a gifted runner as well as receiver, Purple's point about Marc being more comparable to Weber's #2 receiver Mike Phillips remains valid.

Both Mariani and Phillips average about 20 yards per catch in Big Sky competition, with Mike at 19.2 and Mike at 20.7 yards per catch.

gbhmt
October 18th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I take the point that Mariani is a gifted runner as well as receiver, Purple's point about Marc being more comparable to Weber's #2 receiver Mike Phillips remains valid. Each averages about 20 yards per catch in Big Sky competition, with Mike at
19.2 and Mike at 20.7 yards per catch.

That is valid. Doesn't mean that Toone is definitively any better. The only thing Toone has over Mariani statistically is directly a result of the fact that he has twice as many touches (not to mention an extra game). You can't pick one of them over the other, there's just nothing there to prove it.

Eight Legger
October 18th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Pointless... let's do away with sports magazines and blog sites ... a waste of time ... just wait until they play the game... why do we need those pesky fans, anyway? ...they don't know anything... and why play football? just a waste of time... xrolleyesx

I think you're missing my point. Say I'm a voter and I think Mariani was the best player in FCS this year. I'm not allowed to vote for him for the Payton Award at the end of the season, just because some higher powers already decided for me that he wasn't worthy? What is the point of that?

ASU_Fanatic
October 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Sounds like a beast.

mtgrizfan4life
October 18th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Both Toone and Mariani are great talents and playmakers. The conference is lucky to have each. To get into a pissing match of who is better is stupid. They are under different systems, coaches, and roles for their respected teams.

As for this year, it is amazing Mariani always comes up with a big play to shift momentum. The coaches and QB's know Mariani will make something happen when we need a big play, and just give him the ball with the game on the line.

As for Toone, he is part of an explosive offense. I will be glad to see him move on. This leads to the question I have had all year with Weber State. According to Weber State fans and the all conference preseason voters, Weber State is loaded at most every position. IF that is to be believed and accurate, are they overrated or underachieving as a team. With the kind of hype given to them, should they not be undefeated.outright dominating this conference , and be a championship contender? Just saying, with that kind of talent, should they not be better?

As a GRIZ fan, I love having Mariani as a GRIZ, but will give Toone credit too, and not get into this "my daddy is better than your daddy" mentality. Instead, I will agree they are both All American players. When their playing days are over, I will be pulling for both to make it in the NFL and make impacts. I will enjoy each as long as I can, it may be some time before the Big Sky again has two WR's this good at the same time. Usually the conference has one premiere WR, and then a handful of good WR's. These two are both premiere primetimers.

nevadagriz
October 18th, 2009, 07:17 PM
You also have to include Boyce in any conversation about the best BSC WR! Sorry to hear about his injury and pray he has a speedy recovery and that he still gets a shot at the nfl.

I Bleed Purple
October 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Both Toone and Mariani are great talents and playmakers. The conference is lucky to have each. To get into a pissing match of who is better is stupid. They are under different systems, coaches, and roles for their respected teams.

As for this year, it is amazing Mariani always comes up with a big play to shift momentum. The coaches and QB's know Mariani will make something happen when we need a big play, and just give him the ball with the game on the line.

As for Toone, he is part of an explosive offense. I will be glad to see him move on. This leads to the question I have had all year with Weber State. According to Weber State fans and the all conference preseason voters, Weber State is loaded at most every position. IF that is to be believed and accurate, are they overrated or underachieving as a team. With the kind of hype given to them, should they not be undefeated.outright dominating this conference , and be a championship contender? Just saying, with that kind of talent, should they not be better?

As a GRIZ fan, I love having Mariani as a GRIZ, but will give Toone credit too, and not get into this "my daddy is better than your daddy" mentality. Instead, I will agree they are both All American players. When their playing days are over, I will be pulling for both to make it in the NFL and make impacts. I will enjoy each as long as I can, it may be some time before the Big Sky again has two WR's this good at the same time. Usually the conference has one premiere WR, and then a handful of good WR's. These two are both premiere primetimers.

Injuries and under performance. Both lines have been hit hard with injuries, plus our TE is out for the year. The guy that had 21 catches in 3 games (two of those FBS games).

Under performance for finishing games and to a lesser extent drives. Two of the three losses game with turnovers inside the opponent's ten yard line under 30 seconds to go. PSU was the first game without the TE and without two top D-lineman and our starting left tackle broke his leg when we were up a lot. Blew out EWU and Sac St. We still have a good chance of winning out, which would put us in the playoffs.

Green26
October 18th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Mariani is bigger and faster than Toone, and has better hands and is able to make more difficult catches.

Mariani was first team pre-season all-american on the SportsNetwork team (and Toone was second team). Both players were second team on SmallCollege's recent revised mid-season all-american team.

Mariani has 5 TD's in 25 catches. i.e. 1 out of 5 times he gets the ball. Toone has 7 TD's in 50 catches. Toone averages only 13.1 yards per catch, compared to Mariani's 21.7. Mariani's longest reception this year is 84 yards, compared to Toone's 52. Mariani is averaging 90.3 receiving yards per game, compared to Toone's 93.4. Mariani does much more after the catch then Toone does. Mariani is leading the nation in punt returns. Toone averages about 2 yards less per return.

Mariani is a good blocker, captain and good team leader.

Last year in the first UM/Weber game. Mariani had 4 catches for 71 yards. Toone had 2 catches for 31 yards. In the 2nd game, Mariani had 2 for 28 yards (the Griz had only 8 receptions), and Toone had 7 for 96 yards.

Silenoz
October 18th, 2009, 10:57 PM
If you say so

GolfingGriz
October 18th, 2009, 11:28 PM

Was Toone's in the forth quarter of a tied game against a huge rival? Didn't think so.

Native
October 19th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Both Toone and Mariani are great talents and playmakers. The conference is lucky to have each. To get into a pissing match of who is better is stupid. They are under different systems, coaches, and roles for their respected teams. ...

...As a GRIZ fan, I love having Mariani as a GRIZ, but will give Toone credit too, and not get into this "my daddy is better than your daddy" mentality. Instead, I will agree they are both All American players. When their playing days are over, I will be pulling for both to make it in the NFL and make impacts. I will enjoy each as long as I can, it may be some time before the Big Sky again has two WR's this good at the same time. Usually the conference has one premiere WR, and then a handful of good WR's. These two are both premiere primetimers.

One of the most intelligent posts made all season! xthumbsupx

...As for this year, it is amazing Mariani always comes up with a big play to shift momentum. The coaches and QB's know Mariani will make something happen when we need a big play, and just give him the ball with the game on the line...

Thank goodness we have a future NFL lock down corner in Josh Morris, who shut down Ramses Barden in the first round of the playoffs at Cal Poly last year! It will be interesting to see if the Wildcats have a snowball's chance to hold Mariani in check this year. xcoolx

...As for Toone, he is part of an explosive offense. I will be glad to see him move on. This leads to the question I have had all year with Weber State. According to Weber State fans and the all conference preseason voters, Weber State is loaded at most every position. IF that is to be believed and accurate, are they overrated or underachieving as a team. With the kind of hype given to them, should they not be undefeated.outright dominating this conference , and be a championship contender? Just saying, with that kind of talent, should they not be better? ....

Dang good question!!!! Weber SHOULD be 7-0 or at least 6-1 instead of 4-3! The offense has been consistently balanced and productive even against the stoutest defenses, and the defense has shown flashes of brilliance.

However, for the first SIX games of the season, the Wildcats were a premier member of the "Mistakes R Us" franchise, and could not put together four quarters of good football, losing three close winnable games, beating the conference doormat ISU after falling behind by two TDs, and stumbling to victory over an erratic Portland State.

Finally, for the past two games, the Wildcats have stopped the mistakes and played up to their potential, beginning with a sound 31-13 defeat of #14 EWU on the road, and whipping a supposedly powerful Sac Sate offense 49-10 in the manner expected of a potential championship team.

Even though Weber is on the bubble, the future is still in the team's hands. If the Wildcats win out, they earn the Big Sky auto-bid and perhaps even a top four seed. If they fall to #3 Montana but otherwise win out, the 'cats could possibly earn an at-large bid with a 7-4 record, depending on what other teams lose.

But make no mistake. Weber State is a dangerous team for any potential opponent. Through the 2008 and 2009 seasons, the Wildcats are undefeated in FCS competition when they do not lose the net turnover contest. Perhaps the two sets of games which most clearly highlight this near-truism are the home-and-away win and loss against Montana in 2008 and the home-and-away loss and win against Eastern Washington dating from the last regular season game of 2008 to the recent victory in Cheney.