PDA

View Full Version : UD

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 18th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I really think the Blue Hens are a "Snake in the Woodpile" to do some serious damage in the playoffs this year and contend for a National Championship.

With a QB like Devlin and a defense like they have, they have at least a Puncher's chance to win a Championship this year.

I know ... the got hammered by WM. Everybody stubs their toe here or there. They should have beaten Richmond.

You have to figure they will beat Navy and/or Villanova. They will need a win more than either of their opponents in those games. You also have to figure there will be at least 80% Blue Hens in attendance on the Main Line on 11-21 if a playoff berth is on the line.

If they're in the playoffs, you know they're getting a home game in the first round ... and with a quarterback like Devlin, they are capable of winning anywhere.

WestCoastAggie
October 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM
If they beat Richmond, they would be in the top 10 of all the polls.

Ud1Hens
October 18th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Call it homeristic, elitist or whatever but if any CAA team makes the playoffs they have a legit shot to win the title. They play some of the toughest teams in conference and they all seem to play a FBS team. If you survive, you are battle tested and can do some damage. We've seen teams run off 2 and 3 road wins to get to the title. This year is no different.

If it comes down to a play-in game vs. Villanova it will be electric (yes somehow that stadium will be electric).

TheValleyRaider
October 18th, 2009, 11:02 AM

Nah, losing to a team like Delaware just proves Richmond was overrated :p

caribbeanhen
October 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I really think the Blue Hens are a "Snake in the Woodpile" to do some serious damage in the playoffs this year and contend for a National Championship.

With a QB like Devlin and a defense like they have, they have at least a Puncher's chance to win a Championship this year.

I know ... the got hammered by WM. Everybody stubs their toe here or there. They should have beaten Richmond.

You have to figure they will beat Navy and/or Villanova. They will need a win more than either of their opponents in those games. You also have to figure there will be at least 80% Blue Hens in attendance on the Main Line on 11-21 if a playoff berth is on the line.

If they're in the playoffs, you know they're getting a home game in the first round ... and with a quarterback like Devlin, they are capable of winning anywhere.

Oh darn, there catching on to us, but you sir, are correct

I was trying to make this point after the Maine game based on as you point out the greatness of Devlin and the tough D - It didn't go over so well on gohens with some, but now there warming up to the idea

one at a time though, alot of crazy games to play

GannonFan
October 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
If UD can make the playoffs, and UD has their own fate entirely in their hands, UD would be an extremely dangerous team in the playoffs. Devlin is just incredible right now, he all of sudden has weapons galore to throw to, the OL is getting better each week, and the defense has always been very good, and even better against the run. It all comes down to winning 1 of 2 against Navy/nova, both on the road.

Rob Iola
October 18th, 2009, 02:17 PM
If UD can make the playoffs, and UD has their own fate entirely in their hands, UD would be an extremely dangerous team in the playoffs. Devlin is just incredible right now, he all of sudden has weapons galore to throw to, the OL is getting better each week, and the defense has always been very good, and even better against the run. It all comes down to winning 1 of 2 against Navy/nova, both on the road.
Assuming we get past JMU and Hofstra, right? This is Delaware we're talking about, after all...

UncleSam
October 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Assuming we get past JMU and Hofstra, right? This is Delaware we're talking about, after all...

A big assumption, although UD should be favored at home vs both JMU and Hofstra.

blukeys
October 18th, 2009, 04:50 PM

They lost by 1 when the potential winning field goal was missed. It seems one field goal is worth 15 places to some voters. xbawlingx

MR. CHICKEN
October 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM

YAH....UHM-HOOM......MAH PECKERHEADED BROTHERAH.....ANY GIVE WEEK-END.....:p.....DOODLE-DOO!

MR. CHICKEN
October 18th, 2009, 09:53 PM
They lost by 1 when the potential winning field goal was missed. It seems one field goal is worth 15 places to some voters. xbawlingx

WE ARE DUH ONLY SQWAD...TA COME WHIFF-IN 1.....OH SPLATTIN' DUH ARACHNIDS........WE SHOOD BE RANKED #2........;).....AWK!

93henfan
October 18th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I really think the Blue Hens are a "Snake in the Woodpile"

Shhhhhhh! xnonox

We don't have a chance. Just a 4-8 team in 2008 trying to rebuild. Nothing to see here. Move along please.

Oldhen
October 19th, 2009, 05:07 AM
I'm still making up my mind about UD.... '08 still leaves a very bad taste in my mouth, and I'm cautious by nature.

They've come back from 10 straight Q's of football against DSU, W&M, and Maine that ranged from lackluster to disastrous. Modest execution in the passing game against UR, with several badly missed throws and numerous drops, has steadily improved and become top-notch. The OL, which has always been better in pass pro than running, seems to be coming around. Several very talented MIA players on O are suddenly finding their way onto the field and contributing. The D has been good and solid, but not quite dominating, and just might have its best football in front of them.

After very bad outings against DSU and W&M, I was sour on this team. Devlin looked like a real blue-chip kid, but there were so many areas that needed improvement, you really couldn't decide where to start.

Credit to the kids and coaches, they're really turning this around. Everybody seems to have stepped up their game. Devlin hasn't made many bad decisions with the ball (13 TD's, 3 picks), and has great accuracy and touch. He's much ahead of Flacco at the same point in their junior years, and can run effectively when he needs to. The WR drops are being eliminated, and these kids are starting to look like the best group we've had in some years. The OL's finally making some holes, and the RB's are finding them. The new OC seems to have found his footing, and is a welcome change from the old regime.

I don't think we have a 'complete' team yet, but we could get there. JMU's D will give us a better yardstick about how much improvement the O should be credited with. We keep running the ball better, Devlin keeps playing lights-out, UD could make some noise in November.

State Line Liquors
October 19th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Now that I've been able to get through the previous 8 paragraph soliloquy...

I think the Hens are on the right track, and they definitely have the reins of their own destiny. We've got a good idea of what this team is now. Really, the only letdown all year has been the W&M game. The rest of the games we've been on par or better than all our competition. Looking back now, that missed FG against UR could be even more devastating than we initially felt it was. xoopsx

No brainfarts against Hofstra, and a kick in the junk to JMU and we've made it to cliff's edge with 1 more jump needed to hop the ravine into the playoffs. This bye week will let us get all the weapons back healthy and prepare mentally for the final 3rd of the season. Hopefully we take a few days just to let the guys decompress and then hit the video room hard.

State Line Liquors
October 19th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Shhhhhhh! xnonox

We don't have a chance. Just a 4-8 team in 2008 trying to rebuild. Nothing to see here. Move along please.

Is the implication here that not only is there a snake in the woodpile, but also a fox in the hen house? Trying to decipher all the metaphors is like finding a needle in a haystack.

MR. CHICKEN
October 19th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Is the implication here that not only is there a snake in the woodpile, but also a fox in the hen house? Trying to decipher all the metaphors is like finding a needle in a haystack.

xlolxxnodxxlolx

mcveyrl
October 19th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Aaaaand...my head exploded.

89Hen
October 19th, 2009, 11:06 AM
After very bad outings against DSU and W&M, I was sour on this team. Devlin looked like a real blue-chip kid, but there were so many areas that needed improvement, you really couldn't decide where to start.

Credit to the kids and coaches, they're really turning this around.
xbowx I'm glad to see you've come around. xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 19th, 2009, 11:10 AM
No brainfarts against Hofstra, and a kick in the junk to JMU
xnodx xnodx Hofstra and JMU are going to be very difficult games. I know they will take them one at a time and not even think about anything but the opponent at hand. They need to play every game like a playoff game... because it really is. IF, and that's a GINORMOUS if, they can somehow make it, I don't think anyone would want a part of them. :)

JAMES MADISON, YOU'RE ON NOTICE! xrulesx

UMass922
October 19th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Call it homeristic, elitist or whatever but if any CAA team makes the playoffs they have a legit shot to win the title.

Wish I could agree with this . . . but not with our QB. xsmhx

4th and What?
October 19th, 2009, 11:17 AM
If Delaware lets JMU score an offensive touchdown, Delaware should drop out of the polls. xnonono2x

I have yet to see a Delaware game this year, and at least the game summaries/box scores have impressed me a bit. It'll be good to see what they can do live.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 19th, 2009, 11:23 AM
xnodx xnodx Hofstra and JMU are going to be very difficult games. I know they will take them one at a time and not even think about anything but the opponent at hand. They need to play every game like a playoff game... because it really is. IF, and that's a GINORMOUS if, they can somehow make it, I don't think anyone would want a part of them. :)

JAMES MADISON, YOU'RE ON NOTICE! xrulesx

If Delaware loads up the box JMU's O is in trouble. The JMU D really is better than scores would indicate, most of that from fumbles or 3 and outs. JMU has the potential but it's about the equivalent of running a v8 on 4 cylinders. The HP potentials is there it just needs to be firing on all cylinders. For me it all starts in the trenches. Get the O Line to show up and get the running game going and then maybe we can see what Thorpe is really capable of.

UD77
October 19th, 2009, 11:45 AM
If Delaware loads up the box JMU's O is in trouble. The JMU D really is better than scores would indicate, most of that from fumbles or 3 and outs. JMU has the potential but it's about the equivalent of running a v8 on 4 cylinders. The HP potentials is there it just needs to be firing on all cylinders. For me it all starts in the trenches. Get the O Line to show up and get the running game going and then maybe we can see what Thorpe is really capable of.

I was impressed with the JMU defense in the UR game. I thought that you had a good shot against Nova but ....

89Hen
October 19th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I'd have to look it up, but hasn't the home team in the UD/JMU game prevailed quite a bit lately?