PDA

View Full Version : Top Candidates for Lehigh HC

ngineer
October 17th, 2009, 11:04 PM
It appears the death watch has started in Bethlehem. Who will/can come in and right the ship? Who wants to? Need we go to an alum to save the program? Should it be someone with HC experience or another OC or DC? Would a prior come back? Should someone be elevated? Lots of Questions...

Bogus Megapardus
October 17th, 2009, 11:34 PM
How about the guy from Sioux Falls Univ. - the NAIA school that knocked off UND today. Did you see that guy's record?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Donnelly

I said this way back in the spring, i can provide proof, that if Coen doesn't do well this year they should go after the Mules coach. I'm sticking to my guns.

He coaches at a good school, is a proven winnner and has recruiting roots in the region. Give the guy a shot.

I really think the right coach, and i'm sure there's a lot more than one that's capable, can come in and right the ship pretty quick. There's still a lot of talent on this team and good amount of support to keep the program from failing all together. Biddle took an 0-11 team and went 6-5 the next year, followed by a PL title in year three. I'm not saying Lehigh will get a guy like that but the right coach will make all the difference.

The Historian
October 18th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I think it is time to go outside the "Lehigh Family". The last three choices have been internal or a former assistant.

How about Jeff McInerney, the coach at Central Connecticut? He has already proven he is a better coach than Coen, is originally from the area and familiar with Lehigh football. His record this season is 5-1, the complete reverse of Coen's. What's more he has demonstrated his abilities as a head coach.

But please get someone who can put a more entertaining product on the field. The last six quarters at Goodman have been torture to watch.

Pard94
October 18th, 2009, 07:30 AM
You guys have to be realistic...nobody is coming from a scholarship program to coach Lehigh. It's not that desirable a position. I don't mean that as a knock against Lehigh. There is no job in the PL that would be better than a comparable FCS job with schollies.

Donnelley would be a good choice. He was my first coach at Lafayette. I believe he and coach Tavani are close. The only thing is...with the job he's done at Muhlenburg, I have to imagine he's had loads of offers from FCS schools. Is he so happy at Muhlenburg that he's essentially settled down for the long haul? Is he one who want to risk it all to climb the coaching ladder? I would have to imagine he is at least Tavani's age. I guess you would almost be obliged to make a run at him. He'd be an upgrade...that's for sure.

busybee14
October 18th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I know they have been recruiting here in the south this fall like nothing is going on.What kind of timing do you see for this?will any of the current staff stay in tact?

RichH2
October 18th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Donnelly would be a good choice but I agree with 94, why would he move now? Cecchini superb OC as was Coen, Seriously if Kevin does not want job. I would ask him if Cecchini ready

Pards Rule
October 18th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I think it is time to go outside the "Lehigh Family". The last three choices have been internal or a former assistant.

How about Jeff McInerney, the coach at Central Connecticut? He has already proven he is a better coach than Coen, is originally from the area and familiar with Lehigh football. His record this season is 5-1, the complete reverse of Coen's. What's more he has demonstrated his abilities as a head coach.

But please get someone who can put a more entertaining product on the field. The last six quarters at Goodman have been torture to watch.

My boss' son played for him at URI and says an excellent coach.

UNHFan99
October 18th, 2009, 08:23 AM
UNH's OC grew up and played at Allentown Central Catholic before playing and coaching at UNH. No HC experience though.

Former UNH OC's are hot right now with Kelly HC at UO and Devine as the Oline coach at Oline U Boston College.
If you are looking for a young coach on the rise he might be the dude.

Pard94
October 18th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I know they have been recruiting here in the south this fall like nothing is going on.What kind of timing do you see for this?will any of the current staff stay in tact?

Sounds to me like Lehigh may have just lost a recruit due directly to this chatter. Welcome to the internet age. Hey busybee, have your son take a look at Lafayette. It's right down the road from Lehigh and since this isn't a smack talk thread I will refrain from pointing out the obvious advantages.

Pard94
October 18th, 2009, 08:28 AM
UNH's OC grew up and played at Allentown Central Catholic before playing and coaching at UNH. No HC experience though.

Former UNH OC's are hot right now with Kelly HC at UO and Devine as the Oline coach at Oline U Boston College.
If you are looking for a young coach on the rise he might be the dude.

A good thought but, as a Lafayette fan, I could only pray that Lehigh goes with another inexperienced coordinator type. I doubt highly they will do that.

The Historian
October 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I can think of a couple of cases where a former head coach has returned to a school. Bill Walsh did it at Stanford and John Robinson at USC. Neither of them worked out very well, although both came back after long pro careers.

Thus, I am not sure that it would be a great idea for Higgins to return to Lehigh, even if it was feasible. The competitive environment has changed since 2000 and so has Kevin. However, it would still be far better than the current situation.

Digby
October 18th, 2009, 12:36 PM
A return for Higgins might very briefly be awkward but not for long. It would encourage the alumni more than any other hiring and would restore some pride and put people back into the stands.
There are many good choices no doubt. Meanwhile, here in the Lehigh Valley, the game is being replayed. We're about 12 minutes of play from the HOOK AND LADDER!
Two minutes left. First down somewhere near midfield... hook and ladder!
Perhaps Lehigh was seeking the element of surprise! That part of it worked!

OL FU
October 18th, 2009, 01:04 PM
REmind me why Higgins left. He left to go to the pros, right?

I realize the Citadel faithful are falling apart, but I think they would be making a huge mistake to let him go (unless there are problems other than the last two weeks that I don't know about)

hawkineer
October 18th, 2009, 01:37 PM
REmind me why Higgins left. He left to go to the pros, right?

I realize the Citadel faithful are falling apart, but I think they would be making a huge mistake to let him go (unless there are problems other than the last two weeks that I don't know about)

That SOB, Matt Millen wooed him to be the QB coach with the Detroit Lions. Matt's from the Lehigh Valley and saw how he developed QBs at Lehigh.

busybee14
October 18th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Sounds to me like Lehigh may have just lost a recruit due directly to this chatter. Welcome to the internet age. Hey busybee, have your son take a look at Lafayette. It's right down the road from Lehigh and since this isn't a smack talk thread I will refrain from pointing out the obvious advantages.

They are both recruiting him,among others as well.Great education at both,Lafayette has the better facilities for sure.The football offices /facilities are top notch.
we have been watchin and wondering since week 3 with lehigh.Something to keep an eye on but not a huge concern yet.Actually scholorship $$ is the big draw back with Pat League teams when comparing them to some of the CAA's.

ngineer
October 18th, 2009, 03:43 PM
You guys have to be realistic...nobody is coming from a scholarship program to coach Lehigh. It's not that desirable a position. I don't mean that as a knock against Lehigh. There is no job in the PL that would be better than a comparable FCS job with schollies.

Donnelley would be a good choice. He was my first coach at Lafayette. I believe he and coach Tavani are close. The only thing is...with the job he's done at Muhlenburg, I have to imagine he's had loads of offers from FCS schools. Is he so happy at Muhlenburg that he's essentially settled down for the long haul? Is he one who want to risk it all to climb the coaching ladder? I would have to imagine he is at least Tavani's age. I guess you would almost be obliged to make a run at him. He'd be an upgrade...that's for sure.

But he wouldn't have to move!;)

Pard94
October 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM
They are both recruiting him,among others as well.Great education at both,Lafayette has the better facilities for sure.The football offices /facilities are top notch.
we have been watchin and wondering since week 3 with lehigh.Something to keep an eye on but not a huge concern yet.Actually scholorship $$ is the big draw back with Pat League teams when comparing them to some of the CAA's.

Your comments about the facilities capped a perfect weekend for Lafayette fans. For Lehigh fans...not so much.

Ivytalk
October 18th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Jeff Fisher-- Tennessee Titans!:p

blukeys
October 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I heard there is a guy at Elon doing a decent job and that he knows a bit about the Lehigh area. xrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesxxsmiley_wix

Pards Rule
October 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Wasnt Lembo chased outta there?

Hansel
October 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Craig Bohl- NDSU

please :)

DFW HOYA
October 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM
This kind of talk is a bit presumptuous. It's possible no PL team will lose a coach in 2009.

blukeys
October 18th, 2009, 09:13 PM

Sort of and I thought it was a joke that he was. Watching the team I thought they were well coached but some of the Lehigh faithful thought he didn't win the big ones and so despite some championships and playoff appearances his life was made difficult.

crusader11
October 18th, 2009, 09:25 PM
If Gtown doesn't win a game the rest of the year, they will have compiled a record of 3-29 the past three seasons. How could Kelly not be fired?

RichH2
October 18th, 2009, 09:33 PM
While I liked Pete , it was true that he did not win big games. Disappointed expectations,as Coen will face this year, is the worst possible scenario. He should not have had to put up with it but anything less than playoff wins was not enuf. Fans were used to playoffs and wins.Whether those games could have been won,, who knows? Dont blame him for leaving to go to a school where that dream could be a reality.

citdog
October 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Kevin Higgins is our football coach PERIOD. Coach Cecchini is our offensive coordinator, and it's been pretty DAMN OFFENSIVE the last two weeks.

aceinthehole
October 19th, 2009, 07:56 AM

A very good choice, but IMO he has no interest in leaving CCSU.

Jeff was a 24-year assistant who coached at a million places (USC, UNLV, Lousiania Tech, Troy, Georiga Southeren, URI). He did "grow up" in the Lehigh Valley and has strong connections there. But he also went to HS in Conn. (South Windsor) and has finally settled down getting his firts HC position. His daughter attends CCSU and he is doing great in building a program.

We lost Massela because he was truly a NY guy (former NYFD) and wanted to go home. At the time the NEC didn't have the AQ or plans to increase schollys to 40 (or more). I think Coach Mac is excited he is building something in New Britain and isn't likely to leave.

elon77
October 19th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Jim Zorn is going to need a job, maybe he will move up the road a little.xnodx

89Hen
October 19th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Tubby Raymond looks bored lately. xsmiley_wix

Pards Rule
October 19th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Bill Russo is still around....

Pard4Life
October 19th, 2009, 08:54 AM
This is probably the most cynical thread on here. It's Week 7! With the entire league schedule to play! Pards blew five in a row in 2006 and won all their league games save for one. You had a good second half last year, so wait and see... You thrashed a team that gave a nationally ranked team a game. Wait until November 19 before making decisions.

Pard94
October 19th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Bill Russo is still around....

Bill Russo would only coach Lehigh at gunpoint.

colorless raider
October 19th, 2009, 09:28 AM

Hey busybee, you must give Colgate a look if you want a consistent winner.

Franks Tanks
October 19th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I heard some local idiots here in the Valley say that Bob Stem should be the new HC at Lehigh xlolx.

Bob Stem is a tremendous coach, but he is a high school coach and is about 71 years old. He led Bethlehem Catholic to state championships and national rankings, and is now doing the same at P-burg. But its funny to hear these guys seriously think that a 71 year old man with no college coaching expereince would be the right fit.

Pard4Life
October 19th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I heard some local idiots here in the Valley say that Bob Stem should be the new HC at Lehigh xlolx.

Bob Stem is a tremendous coach, but he is a high school coach and is about 71 years old. He led Bethlehem Catholic to state championships and national rankings, and is now doing the same at P-burg. But its funny to hear these guys seriously think that a 71 year old man with no college coaching expereince would be the right fit.

Hell, why not just ask Bowden when he retires? One more year of Coen?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2009, 09:44 AM
This is probably the most cynical thread on here. It's Week 7! With the entire league schedule to play! Pards blew five in a row in 2006 and won all their league games save for one. You had a good second half last year, so wait and see... You thrashed a team that gave a nationally ranked team a game. Wait until November 19 before making decisions.

I would love to agree with you, but I actually watched what unfolded at Goodman this weekend. I dare you to see the replay.

Franks Tanks
October 19th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I would love to agree with you, but I actually watched what unfolded at Goodman this weekend. I dare you to see the replay.

I'm all for keeping Andy around..

MDFAN
October 19th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Tim Landis...he has done a terrific job at Bucknell!!!!!!!!

Pard94
October 19th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I'm all for keeping Andy around..

I second that!

Pard94
October 19th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Tim Landis...he has done a terrific job at Bucknell!!!!!!!!

If by terrific you mean medicore I am in complete agreement.

busybee14
October 19th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Hey busybee, you must give Colgate a look if you want a consistent winner.
They are in the mix also!

Franks Tanks
October 19th, 2009, 12:43 PM
They are in the mix also!

Its really cold in central NY.. they already have snow..too cold for a Southern boy

busybee14
October 19th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Its really cold in central NY.. they already have snow..too cold for a Southern boy
Thats anything north of Virginia as far as I am concerned

So I take it,its Balmy & humid in eastern PA this time of year ?? lol

Franks Tanks
October 19th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Thats anything north of Virginia as far as I am concerned

So I take it,its Balmy & humid in eastern PA this time of year ?? lol

Not quite, but I am willing to bet its 10-15 degrees warmer than Hamilton NY

colorless raider
October 19th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Not quite, but I am willing to bet its 10-15 degrees warmer than Hamilton NY

That cold weather toughens up our boys!:)

Go...gate
October 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM
That cold weather toughens up our boys!:)

xnodx

ngineer
October 19th, 2009, 11:37 PM

No

ngineer
October 19th, 2009, 11:46 PM

I would normally agree with you, especially in how we ended last year and being aware of other teams' , such as Lafayette's strong finish in 2005. However, I have seen first hand a regression in the entire offense. Last year we were moving the ball and making mistakes such as fumbles and dropped passes that cost us games (i.e. Harvard, Cornell). The mistakes this time are mostly mental. Horrific play calling, no sense of game plan on offense, the QBs are making lousy reads, repeatedly. I cheer like hell for our guys to win and would hope to hell they could run off 5 straight wins, but based upon the body of work I will be shocked and flattened with a feather to see that happen. I have been in and following Lehigh football for 39 years, and the past several weeks have been downright painful. The Georgetown win was in spite of a lot. We are not getting better.