View Full Version : How about we rethink the SoCon one more time....

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I myself think that App is more beatable/vulnerable then they have ever been in the last 4 years.

Elon is a consistent team but I can't really say much because I haven't seen them play much

Furman from the sound of things is a good offensive team and a Ok defensive team

GSU looks to me as if they are slowly but surely getting better as the season progresses

Chatty is team that could end this year with a winning record

Samford could also have a winning record

Western looks to be a team with still some untouched potential

The Citadel looks to be a team that is inconsistent and unable to meet expectations whether they be big or small

Wofford could be a team that surprises some people

so right now I have

Elonxeekxxthumbsupx
App
Furman
GSU
Chatty
Wofford
Samford
Western
The Citadel

CrackerRiley
October 17th, 2009, 10:18 PM
App continues this kind of defensive play and I will completely agree with the order you have right now. At least the top two.... I'm trying not to look forward to the Elon game but I'm hoping it's between two unbeaten SoCon teams.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 17th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I think most would agree with those top four.

What I'd like to happen...
GSU wins out
App. beats everyone else on their schedule other than GSU
Elon beats everyone left on their schedule other than App.

Then we can get three teams in and GSU will be in the playoffs :D. IMO the most probable scenario that gets us 3 teams in. If GSU wins in Boone, then the chances of it happening increase a lot.

asknoquarter21
October 17th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I think you have Furman backwards. I think their D is better than their O.

If App doesn't tighten up on D or get their heads in this thing I am beginning to think we are no better than 3rd at the moment.

It seems the kids are going to be playing to their competiton week in and week out. I have yet to see 1 entire game where we played our A game, and that isn't the mark of a champion.

ASUG8
October 17th, 2009, 10:48 PM

If App doesn't tighten up on D or get their heads in this thing I am beginning to think we are no better than 3rd at the moment.

It seems the kids are going to be playing to their competiton week in and week out. I have yet to see 1 entire game where we played our A game, and that isn't the mark of a champion.

+1

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2009, 10:51 PM

Defense didn't play well in the first 2 games (or so I've heard) and offensively outside of the 2 losses they have played phenomenal

SoConisMyAntiDrug
October 17th, 2009, 10:52 PM
The thing to remember is that App still is "top dog" in the Southern Conference, whether the win by 1 or 50. They are still the team to beat and still tied for first in the conference. Even though they have not played amazingly well, they still have gotten the W.

gbhmt
October 18th, 2009, 12:17 AM

GSU wins out

Then we can get three teams in and GSU will be in the playoffs :D. IMO the most probable scenario that gets us 3 teams in. If GSU wins in Boone, then the chances of it happening increase a lot.

I'm pretty sure that in that situation App won't make it in.

yosef1969
October 18th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I'm pretty sure that in that situation App won't make it in.
Really? An 8-3 ASU team with a share of the conference title wouldn't get in? That would be a pretty serious woffing. IMO, in that scenario the ugly loss at SDSU would put GSU in more jeopary than ASU if it were to play out that way, depending somewhat on the margin in each of the head to heads and how SDSU's and MSU's seasons play out. I think it would be very tough for the committee to leave any of the three out if the season played out that way.

seantaylor
October 18th, 2009, 01:02 AM
The Socon is a terrible conference this year. Only 1 team will go, and they won't get out of the first round.

Gringer1
October 18th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Really? An 8-3 ASU team with a share of the conference title wouldn't get in? That would be a pretty serious woffing. IMO, in that scenario the ugly loss at SDSU would put GSU in more jeopary than ASU if it were to play out that way, depending somewhat on the margin in each of the head to heads and how SDSU's and MSU's seasons play out. I think it would be very tough for the committee to leave any of the three out if the season played out that way.

Which is why we've all got to root for it to happen. Come on App fans, cheer against your team... for the good of the conference...

gophoenix
October 18th, 2009, 06:50 AM
The Socon is a terrible conference this year. Only 1 team will go, and they won't get out of the first round.

Woohoo, I was worried we were going to have to wait for the 3rd or 4th page to get Seantaylor's cut and paste job out of the way. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

ThompsonThe
October 18th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I will cheer for any SoCon team in the playoffs.....even (gulp) Elon, if they actually finally make it this year. Even though I still feel like they hurt AE last year on purpose, since they couldn't (and didn't) win the game any other way.
One thing that the CAA has that the SoCon seems to have lost the last few years is pretty much unity in rooting for their fellow teams. They know that it is better for one of their teams to win in the playoffs since they play some of them week after week. (Even though they can't play all of them.)
If your team, GaSo, can come back to make the playoffs....I will cheer them on.

PaladinFan
October 18th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Elon's playing the best football right now.

Furman is gritty. Not fancy, but is playing tough football.

Wofford and GSU are still dangerous teams that can play any one tough.

App is still the team to beat, but I don't think the gap is near what it has been in years past.

OL FU
October 18th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Defense didn't play well in the first 2 games (or so I've heard) and offensively outside of the 2 losses they have played phenomenal

Except for Missouri (I don't count that) and Samford, Furman has played great defense on point totals (which is what counts). We have not played great on yardage given up. I think we saw yesterday that eventually bend don't break will break.

The offense has played well in all games. The last two have been the most questionable and those games against the best two FCS defenses we have played. And even this weekend, we scored more than most on Samford and are the only FCS team to score a second half TD.

OL FU
October 18th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Woohoo, I was worried we were going to have to wait for the 3rd or 4th page to get Seantaylor's cut and paste job out of the way. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

And he forgot to mentioned they the one team that will go will not be GSUxrolleyesx

OL FU
October 18th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Better scenario is that Furman wins out except for Auburn and ASU wins out except for Furman, then you have Elon at 9-2 in and ASU and FU at 8-3 and neither 8-3 team have a bad loss.

The question then becomes how many 8-3 teams the CAA has. and then the further question is if the choice for the last spot is ASU and FU and (under this scenario) FU has one FCS loss and beat APP, do they pick FU or ASU?

ASU's recent success and crowds would be hard to turn down, me thinks.

Saint3333
October 18th, 2009, 08:53 AM
No 8-3 SoCon doesn't make the playoffs, the question is can ASU or Furman get those 8 wins? ASU can win or lose any game left on the schedule with our defense

elcid83
October 18th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Disappointed to see my Citadel Bulldogs get beat by WCU after watching my Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs beat them. WCU has some talent, but it doesn't show up in their W column. However, The Citadel should have been able to handle this one.

Go Bulldogs!
GoRunnin' Bulldogs!

OL FU
October 18th, 2009, 09:42 AM
No 8-3 SoCon doesn't make the playoffs, the question is can ASU or Furman get those 8 wins? ASU can win or lose any game left on the schedule with our defense

Well that is the question. It certainly isn't a done deal for either team. I think JMUs demise has helped. We need Delaware and Umass to lose a couple more so that the CAA only gets three in. ( whoops I meant four)

PhoenixMan
October 18th, 2009, 03:33 PM

I don't think the SoCon is a terrible conference. I think the parity is more glaring than in the past. Elon has the number one defense in the nation, and play pretty good on the other side of the ball as well. App is App, and they continue to get the W's.

appstate38
October 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Elon is playing probably the best ball right now but I haven't seen much of them so its just a educated guess....

The Apps have been vunerable at times but the D has found a way to make enough plays to put us in a position to win. I for one thought they would be a much improved unit from a year ago but it hasn't gone that way yet.

Furman will always play you tough no matter who you are
GSU needs to be more consistent, but will come with more experience.... I guess
Wofford just needs to get healthy
Chatty needs to finish strong
The Citadel seems to have mailed it in after losing their 3rd straight
WCU still has a LONG way to go
Samford will play everyone close and probably steal one but the talent isn't quite there yet.

PaladinFan
October 18th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I don't think the SoCon is a terrible conference. I think the parity is more glaring than in the past. Elon has the number one defense in the nation, and play pretty good on the other side of the ball as well. App is App, and they continue to get the W's.

The conference isn't terrible. I do think the top of the conference is not as strong as it once was, but I also think the bottom is a heckuva lot better. A few years ago the big 3 teams were literally a four touchdown favorite against every team they played except for games against one another.

gophoenix
October 18th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I will cheer for any SoCon team in the playoffs.....even (gulp) Elon, if they actually finally make it this year. Even though I still feel like they hurt AE last year on purpose, since they couldn't (and didn't) win the game any other way.
One thing that the CAA has that the SoCon seems to have lost the last few years is pretty much unity in rooting for their fellow teams. They know that it is better for one of their teams to win in the playoffs since they play some of them week after week. (Even though they can't play all of them.)
If your team, GaSo, can come back to make the playoffs....I will cheer them on.

-Sigh-

There was no on purpose crap against Armanti. JMU and Richmond played the same hard nosed defense and there are no complaints. The game was close, both teams were hard core going after the play makers (ie, see the hits on Bo Williamson off the ball). Crap happens, how long are you guys going to keep playing this blame game? I swear with some of you, it's like listening to Carolina fans talk about basketball.

whoanellie
October 18th, 2009, 07:04 PM
App it does seem this season to have the ability to turn-on to a high gear when prompted by a lower level of competition. Some might say they come out flat and then turn it to win.
a big change from recent years where they came out strong and buried opponents. running up big scores and getting their talented deep depth very valuble experience.
Elon's defense seems to be a consistent among the conference victories.
Also Elon's offense is much more balanced than previous seasons.
The fight for 3rd place might just be a 4 way tie.
I just they have to play all the games to figure this out. Nothing is a given.

BearGibson
October 18th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Elon is playing the best ball right now. That is for sure.

IMO, though App is playing sloppy ball I think that they will always find a way to win. I'd say App wins out and the SoCon gets 2 into the playoffs.

CrackerRiley
October 18th, 2009, 09:17 PM

IMO, though App is playing sloppy ball I think that they will always find a way to win. I'd say App wins out and the SoCon gets 2 into the playoffs.

I approve. xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
October 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM

I don't know. IApp still hasn't played the two SoCon teams that can really get the ball down the field (Furman and Elon). If they continue to play sloppy defense, those could easily be losses for the Mounties.

CrackerRiley
October 18th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I don't know. IApp still hasn't played the two SoCon teams that can really get the ball down the field (Furman and Elon). If they continue to play sloppy defense, those could easily be losses for the Mounties.

I approve. xthumbsupx

Again.

BearGibson
October 18th, 2009, 11:42 PM

I agree that App could easily lose both games, but IMO, App has the most raw talent as a whole in the conference, and maybe even in the FCS. If their boys stop being head-cases and play ball App won't lose. App can move the ball against about anyone, they proved this against ECU (without Edwards). At this rate the Elon game (and probably Furman game) will be a shootout.

Native
October 19th, 2009, 01:53 AM

GSU wins out

The sceanrio fails because one victory against a top 15 team is not enough for the thrid place SOCON team to get the second conference at-large bid.

In addition to the minimum 7 DI victories, at-large bids should require multiple victories over top 15 teams.

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I agree that App could easily lose both games, but IMO, App has the most raw talent as a whole in the conference, and maybe even in the FCS. If their boys stop being head-cases and play ball App won't lose. App can move the ball against about anyone, they proved this against ECU (without Edwards). At this rate the Elon game (and probably Furman game) will be a shootout.

Elon's defense is better than most think.

AshevilleApp2
October 19th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I myself think that App is more beatable/vulnerable then they have ever been in the last 4 years.

Elon is a consistent team but I can't really say much because I haven't seen them play much

Furman from the sound of things is a good offensive team and a Ok defensive team

GSU looks to me as if they are slowly but surely getting better as the season progresses

Chatty is team that could end this year with a winning record

Samford could also have a winning record

Western looks to be a team with still some untouched potential

The Citadel looks to be a team that is inconsistent and unable to meet expectations whether they be big or small

Wofford could be a team that surprises some people

so right now I have

Elonxeekxxthumbsupx
App
Furman
GSU
Chatty
Wofford
Samford
Western
The Citadel

Pretty astute YT.

FUPaladins
October 19th, 2009, 06:54 AM
"youngterrier"-

If GSU beats ASU, then will GSU, ASU, or FU be second in your next standings?

elon77
October 19th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Elon's defense is better than most think.

My opinion is, and like tails everybody has one, their defense is better than their offense. But hey, it's just one opinion, right?

boonegoon
October 19th, 2009, 07:46 AM
You know, since I haven't seen Elon this year I'm not really sold yet. They have 1 really signature win against Citadel. I understand their defensive stats are wicked but Presby and Davidson really help pad those stats. Elon really had to leg it out against Furman. We'll see how things are after this week

boonegoon
October 19th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Just looked at the stats of the Furman Elon game, mighty close. Scott Riddle is your punter?

ElonPride
October 19th, 2009, 08:08 AM
They have 1 really signature win against Citadel. I

What's your definition of a signature win? If it's a blowout, then more than half our wins have been signature. If you go by teams, I'd say there are three signature wins (Furman, GSU and El Cid).

gophoenix
October 19th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Just looked at the stats of the Furman Elon game, mighty close. Scott Riddle is your punter?

Yes. Riddle is the punter.

What does a signature win mean?

CamelCityAppFan
October 19th, 2009, 08:29 AM
No one in the SoCon has a "signature win" this season-- yet. xcoffeex

GSUhooligan
October 19th, 2009, 08:54 AM
The sceanrio fails because one victory against a top 15 team is not enough for the thrid place SOCON team to get the second conference at-large bid.

In addition to the minimum 7 DI victories, at-large bids should require multiple victories over top 15 teams.

If GSU wins out, they'd have to be in. 8-3 with wins over App in Boone and Top 25 Furman would be worthy. You forget, the playoff committee is a money-hungry bunch and GSU would sell more tickets, as a visiting team or home than most (if not all) of the other at-large contenders.

GaSouthern
October 19th, 2009, 09:02 AM

Although it is crazy to consider GSU in the picture with the last few years we have had.

The playoff committe remembers little from the beginning of the season, if a team is on fire late in the year it helps out their chances a lot.

drpnut
October 19th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I think it is more likely for SoCon to only get 1 in as opposed to getting 3 in.

This year reminds me a lot of '03 when Woffy ran the table and the only team to get in.

I believe Elon could finish with only 1 league loss, and Appy will have 1 loss possibly 2, and with 2 and 7-4 would be a stretch.

Furman will have 2 league losses and be 7-4 and will be a no go.

Ga South will have 2-3 league losses and most likely be knocked out.

It really could be a 1 bid league this year.

But next year when 20 team get in we could easily have 4.

OL FU
October 19th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I think it is more likely for SoCon to only get 1 in as opposed to getting 3 in.

This year reminds me a lot of '03 when Woffy ran the table and the only team to get in.

I believe Elon could finish with only 1 league loss, and Appy will have 1 loss possibly 2, and with 2 and 7-4 would be a stretch.

Furman will have 2 league losses and be 7-4 and will be a no go.

Ga South will have 2-3 league losses and most likely be knocked out.

It really could be a 1 bid league this year.

But next year when 20 team get in we could easily have 4.

I agree that one is more likely than 3, but I think there is still a good chance for 2. Elon is looking pretty solid and with their toughest game left being App. that leaves ASU, FU and GSU. If GSU loses this week they are done but ASU still has only two losses. If they lose to Elon and win out, they have three losses and would be in. If they lose to Furman that means Furman is in the hunt having to get by GSU and WC ( Assuming WC gets back to something close to normal for the last years). Furman has the toughest road simply because they have close to a guaranteed loss to Auburn. 7-4 ain't cutting it this year. The of course the whole thing could blow up with FU losing to EL Cid. GSU beating app and then losing somewhere else. blah blah blah.

Damn, that is too confusing. I think I will agree with you and just say onexlolx