PDA

View Full Version : Yale at Lehigh 10/17/09

ngineer
October 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
This game is being seen by most as a toss-up, with neither team lighting up the fires so far this year. Interesting to observe,now, on Lehigh's "2-deep" is the number of Sophomores who will be starting this coming week. There are only 6 seniors (4 on defense), total, listed as starting out of 22 positions. Seems like Coen is going to be banking on the 'youth movement' to turn this around (as well as use as a platform for extending his contract at least one more year ? ;))

Weather forecast for Saturday also looking bleak--70% of rain or SNOW! It actually snowed briefly, here, in the Lehigh Valley this morning, while the northern portions of the state were seeing accumulations. Earliest I can ever remember snow around here.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Hard to see Lehigh winning this game given their offensive ineptitude and Coen's record against the Ivies. Yale should deffinitely be the favorite in this one. A Lehigh loss and they'll be battling Bucknell next week for either a 1 or 2 win season.

RichH2
October 15th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Since we have shown little consistency in our run game, a bad weather game does not bodewell for a cure. However, Yale has not shown any ability to run, Hart big tall passer fairly immobile is their O. Weather may hurt them more than us.Dont forget we have Colvin and Lum can run . Could be a real slogfest.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Since we have shown little consistency in our run game, a bad weather game does not bodewell for a cure. However, Yale has not shown any ability to run, Hart big tall passer fairly immobile is their O. Weather may hurt them more than us.Dont forget we have Colvin and Lum can run . Could be a real slogfest.

Even in bad weather games the team that can make the most of the passing game seem to do the best. The decision making by Lehigh QB's this year has been at best, poor. Lehigh has to hope it's a 10-7, 13-7 type game to win imo. But if it's close they'll almost certaintly lose as history has shown.

blu-bulldog
October 15th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Yale actually looks like they found themselves, in the second half of Lafayette game.
Really showed what they can do. But Lehigh may have a saving grace in that the Yale team has a flu bug hitting them.
I won't be at the game.So good luck Lehigh

RichH2
October 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Ah, swine may be our ally this week. xnodx True, Coen has only won one game decided by a TD or less. I figure even if he does nothing, odds say we are due to win another onexrulesx. Wildcat may be a real help this week.

Look I agree that given what Coen has failed to do yet, I doubt we'll be favored to win another game this year. xmadx. I try to believe that he can improve offensive performance and confidence. Perchance my faith, shaky tho it may be, will be rewarded this week xnodx

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Yale's offense is still suspect. Was last week a coming out for Brett Hart, or was it Dartmouth ineptitude that made him look so good. Probably a combination.

I expect a low scoring game in the 17-14 range. You have to give Lehigh a slight edge for home field.

I'm told the game can be seen online for free on Lehigh's website. Congrats for not soaking your fans for $7 like Yale does.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Wouldn't a bad-weather game favor Lehigh? I'm much happier thinking about Hart's passing game getting grounded than Lum's.

RichH2
October 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Good point LFN, maybe we'll be a triple option team this week.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Good point LFN, maybe we'll be a triple option team this week.

xlolx Wouldn't that be par for the course!

RichH2
October 15th, 2009, 09:10 PM
This team has gotten so young since Spring practice , we should not be surprised by their resilience even with the losses. Nor unfortunately with their mistakes. The more I look at this game and what little I've seen of Yale I am more optimistic (OK maybe delusional xlolx). Yale large but not particularly athletic nor fast. Their D front strong tough on run. DB s not really challenged from what little I saw. On O their qb big with nice arm and accurate. S/b able to pressure him. Y keeps both backs in at times to block best receiver is their HB , he is good fb /te type. Oh, time to go, the doctors insist I take my medicine nowxrolleyesx

ngineer
October 15th, 2009, 11:48 PM
From what I read, Hart may be a pretty good QB, so it will be imperative we keep up the pressure as we have recently. Hard to believe, but our pass defense is nationally ranked as well as sacks. The new field, though, should hold up well in the rain as opposed to the old track years back that flooded easily.

RichH2
October 16th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Field s/b OK , worry is wind and snow . Weather supposed to be light rain , breezy ( up to 20mph), chilly. No snow until evening

ngineer
October 16th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I imagine we'll have a 'huge' crowd of about 3500 if we're lucky, with the forecast, although many more tickets will have been sold for the 'other' homecoming.

ngineer
October 17th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Morning Call picking Yale, 24-20. Groller implies he can't pick Lehigh to win a 'big game' until they show they can. I tend to agree, with that observation; however, I think the Mountain Hawks will finally break out of their shell. Last night I actually picked the same score, but with Lehigh winning.xnodx

ngineer
October 17th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Forecast looking nasty as the nor'easter settles in. Looks like a good 1 1/2 inches of rain predicted over the course of the day with winds 10-20 mph. Score may be more like 10-7.

RichH2
October 17th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Ints ,fumbles, ST will determine game.. Cant disagree with Grollier as we are 1-12 in games TD or under. I think we are due but I cant get Albany game out of my head. True Lehigh optimism xoopsx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I picked Lehigh 12, Yale 9:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/10/game-preview-yale-at-lehigh.html

I think a bad-weather game - barely - favors Lehigh.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I picked Lehigh 12, Yale 9:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/10/game-preview-yale-at-lehigh.html

I think a bad-weather game - barely - favors Lehigh.

I don't think it favors anyone but given the mistakes that Lehigh seems to always make i really don't think it helps them.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Announcers just said that Jordan Farrell, Yale's starting RB, didn't make the trip to Lehigh since he had the swine flu. Could be a break for Lehigh...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Lehigh has to show they can throw the ball. The weaher isn't that bad.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Yale has the field position battle in their favor right now.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Hope you don't like offense. This is shaping up to be a 3-2 final early as no offense is getting squat.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Two holds, and a false start on Yale. They had first at 10 at the Lehigh 30. Now it's first and 35 from the Yale 45 or so. Man.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 12:07 PM
There's like single-digit offensive yardage from both teams combined so far. Already, what, 4 punts? 5?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Two freshmen - Colvin and Barket - get the first 1st down of the game. Halfway through the 1st quarter.

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Two freshmen - Colvin and Barket - get the first 1st down of the game. Halfway through the 1st quarter.

Maybe they should keep score in first downs, rather than points.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Lehigh has guys open but they can't complete a pass. I know it's windy but it's not that bad out there. Just poor execution. Lum 0-8 passing....

van
October 17th, 2009, 12:20 PM
this is hard to watch, now Lum looks like a bust.

van
October 17th, 2009, 12:20 PM
But Yale is trying their best to give it to us. Greene gets an interception.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 12:27 PM
9 punts already, early 2nd quarter. What's the record for punts in a game?

van
October 17th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Yale is not spying our punter, look for him to fake a punt and run for a first down. If coaches are paying attention that is.

van
October 17th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Lum still looking bad. Great catch by Drwal on a ball thrown behind him. Lum hits Yale DB in the numbers by dropped. Gah!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Punt #11.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 12:38 PM
This game is going to take about 5 hours.....

RichH2
October 17th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Gee, thought Lum would be used to winter coming from Mich

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Punt #12? #13?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 12:50 PM
These are two really bad offensive teams. The weather is not that bad.

van
October 17th, 2009, 12:56 PM
second and 5 at the 10 and we throw, how stupid can the O coordinator be?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Nice scramble my Lum - best offensive play from scrimmage by far.

Drive stalls - what a shocker. Lehigh lining up for 37 yard FG.

van
October 17th, 2009, 12:57 PM
FG attempt, this should be interesting

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Blocked.

van
blocked, perfect,

Rich - if I shoot you would you return the favor?

Go Lehigh TU owl
Those four plays following the run Lum sum everything up. The false start, not having the right guys out there and then the block fg. That was terrible.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Unbelievable half.

Coen said he's making a change at QB. Clark is starting the 2nd half.

I think Coen's going to bust a fuse in the halftime locker room.

LacesOut
October 17th, 2009, 01:00 PM
This game is going to take about 5 hours.....

Haha!

I was going to ask the score, but I'll assume it's 0-0.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Lehigh gets ball to start 2nd half, JB Clark back in at QB.

van
October 17th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Clark in, completes first pass. Colvin runs for about 15 yards and fumbles to Yale. More of the same.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Colvin has his second fumble of the day. 1st down Eli

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Just way too many mistakes.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Lafayette is celebrating a historic victory against Harvard, and Lehigh is trying to figure out out to score a point against Yale. That says it all.

van
Yale fakes the punt and scores a touchdown, figures. We suck.

Lehigh Football Nation
Fake punt by Yale, LB Paul Rice runs it in for the TD.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 01:33 PM
TD Yale on a fake punt!! What a great gutsy call by the Yale coach.

As long as Yale doesn't make any mistakes that should be enough.

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM
TD Yale on a fake punt!! What a great gutsy call by the Yale coach.

As long as Yale doesn't make any mistakes that should be enough.

I wish I was as confident as you that 7 is enough, but I'm not.

You watch, there will be more scoring. Sometimes the dam has to burst, and when it does it bursts for both teams.

van
October 17th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Clark is 3 for 3 so far.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I hope ngineer is away from sharp metal objects in the stands.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 01:42 PM
How can Lehigh's defense be so good, yet they don't force any turnovers? One pick six or fumble return and this is a different game.

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2009, 01:43 PM
How can Lehigh's defense be so good, yet they don't force any turnovers? One pick six or fumble return and this is a different game.

I thought they had an INT

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Ex-frigin' xactly. Lehigh strips the ball, and NOBODY FALLS ON IT. Yale recovers!!! Ugh!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I thought they had an INT

True, but they didn't make anything out of it. No momentum from the play.

van
October 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Now the refs are screwing up, inadvertant whistle

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 01:45 PM
True, but they didn't make anything out of it. No momentum from the play.

Thats because the offense is dreadful. The defense not only has to create the turnover but they must score on the play as well.

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Thats because the offense is dreadful. The defense not only has to create the turnover but they must score on the play as well.

You sound like me.

van
October 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Yale O line doing much better on pass protection, bodes badly for us.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Clark throws an INT

First down Yale.

LEHIGH61
October 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Does Cecchini want a head coachiing position?

The Historian
October 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM
We have changed QBs, but I think we need to change offensive coordinators or in our case, uncoordinator.

Digby
October 17th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Do we need any more evidence that this team has not progressed, that players have not been instructed well or put into positions to make plays? I do not care how this game ends, I have had it for this year. Dumb penalties, failed formations, assignments missed and THE SAME OLD PRPBLEM: coaches not sending the right players onto the field.
Sandlots teams with 12-year-olds are better organized than this mess, this embarrassment.

The Historian
October 17th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Yale's play calling is almost as bas as Lehigh's.

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Yale's play calling is almost as bas as Lehigh's.

It's embarrassing

LEHIGH61
October 17th, 2009, 02:00 PM
We might have the best defense in the league, despite many injuries. But we definitely have the worst offense. Defence is supposed to win ball games, BUT you need at least an average offense. I am very depressed over the whole situation.

hawkineer
October 17th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I would fire Coen and Brown after this game and make Kotulski the head coach for the balance of the year. At least the defense is playing with some passion and has clearly gotten better through the year. It makes no sense to keep Coen or Brown around any longer to further poison this program. This has now gone beyond embarrassing and discouraging for everyone who cares about this program.

By the way LFN (also known as Mr. Wildcat), even if the defense is causing turnovers, they have held this team in games most of the year. Leave 'em alone. It the OFFENSE. Get it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Lehigh now 0-10 on 3rd down. If i was Yale i would basically run up the middle every play and punt.

Digby
October 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Note to Lehigh coaches: When somebody on a special team is hurting during the game do not wait until coverage is required to pick somebody to replace him!
Just a thought. Win, lose or draw today this team is a disgrace. An outrage and it demands that we ask, why waste money on this?

van
October 17th, 2009, 02:06 PM
great play by John Kennedy, interception to the Yale 44

Digby
October 17th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Who is QB No. 3? Get him out there! I agree there is no need to wait until year's end for a change in coaching. I feel very badly for the seniors. They were sold a bill of goods and have had to endure failures of leadership, lack of philosophy and general disgrace.
To those of you who doubted and even insulted Lembo, I hope you are happy with what you brought on us. Especially to those who used to go to those Starters Pub lunches and ask ridiculous questions.
Four years wasted, coaching change inevitable, and whoever steps in has a mess on their hands.

van
October 17th, 2009, 02:07 PM
colvin for 5 yards and doesn't fumble!

van
October 17th, 2009, 02:10 PM
3 and out again

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 02:10 PM
3 and out following the turnover.

Why not try a reverse a halfback pass? Anything, anything at all to try to get an easy TD. They've showed over and over that they can't drive the field. Their only hope is to catch a break on a busted defensive assignment or the like.

What in the world is Yale's coach doing throwing?

van
October 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Cribbs intercepts now, maybe we should quick kick and maybe the D can score? Call in Fred Dunlop for advice.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 02:15 PM
That is just....i don't even know what to say....

hawkineer
October 17th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Anyone watching on the internet notice that the announcers are starting to get testy? A fight in the booth might add some friggin' excitement. I guess that is what happens when you have to watch this crap all day.

van
October 17th, 2009, 02:18 PM
defense must be close to being warn out now

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 02:20 PM
So can we officially start the, who's going to be the next coach discussion?

The Historian
October 17th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I do not think I have seen a Lehigh offense this bad since Mike Cooley has head coach back in the early 60's. Lehigh has not been shut out since 1986 and not by a FCS school since 1976.

Digby
October 17th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Start with an interim coach. Otherwise we go through the rest of the schedule with the team falling apart, the coach tossing the seniors under the bus (he has done that before) and recruiting visits a mess. Just pick an interim guy and be honest with everybody. Ensure that the interim guy has a role next year, that is fair to recruits.

LEHIGH61
October 17th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Lembo IS a great coach, and the boneheads that insulted him should be should be publicly admonished at the next home game. Coen brings Trey Brown with him, apparently to keep him employed!!!!!!!!!! Sterrett should have the balls to fire them before we start the final Patriot League games. THIS IS AN INSULT TO LEHIGH FOOTBALL! Gifts to the program will really fall off if a change is not made. Some people just weren't meant to be head coaches. TRY TO GET CECCHINI!! And start giving scholarships.

The Historian
October 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I wonder how many people are left in the stands on the Lehigh side? It sounds like a morgue.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Well Higgins might be at the end of his line at The Citadel if he doesn't turn their season around. Not that he would likely ever come back but just saying.

Digby
October 17th, 2009, 02:27 PM
The anti-Lembo fools did not like him because he did not spend a lot of time socializing with them, because he did not track down every ``nephew who can really play.''
9.2 wins per year sure looks good now. Idiots IDIOTS!

Digby
October 17th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Hey let's consider it a DEFENSIVE VICTORY whenever the opposition scores under 16 points. OFfense, we have to give up on.
MAKE THE CHANGE TONIGHT. APPOINT AN INTERIM COACH FROM THE STAFF. FACE THE OBVIOUS.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Why in the world was Yale going for a FG there? A 45 yarder?

van
October 17th, 2009, 02:32 PM
blocked field goal, one more chance for a miracle

Digby
October 17th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I have NEVER seen such a dumb play as that flip! THAT IS WORSE THAN THE GIANTS FUMBLE AGAINST THE EAGLES!
END THIS FARCE NOW! Yale has been as bad as can be! Lehigh has made history!

Go Lehigh TU owl
HAHA!! Why would you run a hook and ladder there!! That is just rediculous.

The Historian
More stupidity from Trey Brown.

LEHIGH61
October 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
What the hell were they thinking? There was enough time to do something, and they put in a hook-and -ladder? How completely assinine. Trey Brown should head back West where he belongs. AT LEAST FIRE THE OFFENSIVE COORDINATER! And Boycott the Holy Cross game. Nobody show up and I think Sterrett will be given a big hint.

Digby
October 17th, 2009, 02:38 PM
There is no way the player did that on his own. That could only come from the fertile mind of the head coach, the man you anti-Lembo folks hailed as a genius!
You anti-LEmbo types deserve what you got. The rest of us, well we saw the obvious.
Now by now, Lembo would have moved on, but there might have been some kind of orderly transition and anything would be better than this.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Even in bad weather games the team that can make the most of the passing game seem to do the best. The decision making by Lehigh QB's this year has been at best, poor. Lehigh has to hope it's a 10-7, 13-7 type game to win imo. But if it's close they'll almost certaintly lose as history has shown.

Well that seemed like a pretty accurate statement.

LEHIGH61
October 17th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Lehigh Pride - Lehigh tradition. ALL FOR NAUGHT! FIRE THEM!

Digby
October 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Sorry about the strong comments. The word ``idiots'' was poorly chosen. The anti-Lembo faction was gravely mistaken, and fooled into thinking that kind of success was routine.
That was four years ago. Let's not waste any more years with the current era. Let's not waste another week.

RichH2
October 17th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Playcalling again showed mind boggling ineptitude.Brown gives this team no chance to win.Best game by D I'veseen in many years. An absolute disgrace that they kept giving O chances and they blew everyone. Colvin our only O . Neither LU qb passed well at all. Primary Receivers rarely open. Our qbs never seem to be able to go to next receiver. Number of plays there were open wrs that were not seen. Yale D did a very good job controlling the inside. Injuries today Pierce ,Clerge , Colvin and Thomas. D reserves did great. Do we have a FG kicker? I know we lack an OC but I thought we had another kicker.

I've really run out of anything to say. There is nothing that these offensive coaches can possibly do at this point. I do not understand how this O , which is basically the same as finished last year continues to be so inept.

hawkineer
October 17th, 2009, 02:53 PM
That could only come from the fertile mind of the head coach, the man you anti-Lembo folks hailed as a genius!
You anti-LEmbo types deserve what you got. The rest of us, well we saw the obvious.
Now by now, Lembo would have moved on, but there might have been some kind of orderly transition and anything would be better than this.

Hey Diggy, take a breath. I was not a huge Lembo fan, not because he wasn't warm and fuzzy, could care less. The fact that his record was poor against Lafayette was my problem. I was probably guilty of comparing him too much to Higgins, my bad! I, like most fans, loved Kevin's passion, personality and leadership. Lembo was the antithesis of Higgins

Where Lembo was clearly better than Coen was as a very good program manager. He recruited well and he hired very good assistants.

Coen is the poster child for a good coordinator who is a horrible head coach for all of the reasons Lembo was a good head coach. That is why Cecchini scares me so much. This administration should create an endowment for the football coach similar to wrestling and pay for quality. I'll chip in. Another mistake like Coen and this program will not recover any time soon.

Let's hope Sterrett, like me can admit when he is wrong, and fire this a$$ before the sun sets on South Mountain.

The Historian
October 17th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Wrestling season can not start soon enough.

Digby
October 17th, 2009, 02:58 PM
``Where Lembo was clear better than Coen was...'' why even make a list?
Everything. Mostly, WINNING. It is about winning. Lembo did a great job.
I don't care about his ``personality, passion'' blah blah blah.
Lembo is a good guy and personable, just not driven to talk to groups of often uninformed fans. I like to watch the games. If you want to get up close and personal with the coach, go to D3 games.

Digby
October 17th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Hey but we agree! It is time for a change and the sooner the better. This is not just about play-calling. There is a lack of organization.
I would prefer immediate change for the sake of the kids. That is very unlikely even though it might give us the feeling of a second season. There is one game we should win -- well we probably should win. Then three weeks to seek upsets.

Digby
October 17th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Again my apologies to all for the term ``idiots'' which does not belong on an anonymous chatboard. And we all care just disagree on strategy. My error all the way.
My excuse is, the hook-and-ladder play fried my brain. I'm still boggled by it. I am going to be alright as soon as I get enough alcohol.
Hook and ladder. Hook and ladder.
Hook and ladder. Hook and ladder.Hook and ladder. Hook and ladder.Hook and ladder. Hook and ladder.Hook and ladder. Hook and ladder.Hook and ladder. Hook and ladder.Hook and ladder. Hook and ladder.Hook and ladder. Hook and ladder.Hook and ladder. Hook and ladder.Hook and ladder. Hook and ladder.Hook and ladder. Hook and ladder.Hook and ladder. Hook and ladder.

That one will go down in history.

hawkineer
October 17th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Here's a worst case scenario:
Sterrett: "Andy, I still think that you can do the job. That's why I hired you. If I do something drastic (Fire You), then it will reflect poorly on me. But I need you to give the fans something. They're really pissed. Perhaps, if you fire Brown to appease them, things will settle down."
Coen: " Thanks for the vote of confidence. Your right. It's all Trey's fault. I've tried to give him the support and guidance he needed, but he's just not getting it. I'll let him go."
Sterrett: "Thanks Andy, I'll give you another 4 years to work in that new offense. Boy, will the fans be happy that we gave them some red meat to chew on. Golly, aren't we both really smart!"

Lehigh74
October 17th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I have been watching Lehigh Football since 1971 when Dunlap succeeded in turning the program around. This game could represent the low point in Lehigh Football over the last 38 years. Coen's contract is up at the end of this year and it is a given that he will be replaced. The question is when and by whom? Can Lehigh afford to take a shot at another coordinator to see if they can develop into a successful head coach? Does it make sense to hire a proven head coach like Lafayette did years ago with Bill Russo?

The Historian
October 17th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I do not think that Lehigh has hired a head coach with prior head coaching experience at the collegiate level since WW II. Whitehead was a head coach in high school, but not college.

hawkineer
October 17th, 2009, 03:20 PM
"the last time Lehigh was shutout was September 7, 1986 when the then-Engineers fell 41-0 at Navy… Saturday’s game will re-air Sunday at 11 a.m. on Service Electric 2 Sports and Thursday at 8 a.m. on Fox College Sports Atlantic."
Anybody else planning on taking a vacation day on Thursday to watch this baby again! :D

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2009, 03:24 PM
"the last time Lehigh was shutout was September 7, 1986 when the then-Engineers fell 41-0 at Navy… Saturday’s game will re-air Sunday at 11 a.m. on Service Electric 2 Sports and Thursday at 8 a.m. on Fox College Sports Atlantic."
Anybody else planning on taking a vacation day on Thursday to watch this baby again! :D

No, but I will record it on Thurs.

Hey, Yale might not get another win this year. The only game where they MIGHT be favored is Princeton and that game in in New Jersey, so maybe not.

RichH2
October 17th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I stopped enjoying hitting myself with a hammer some years back. Otherwise sure I'd watch the game again.

Now if you were to promise me Brown will be demoted from OC, I might suffer thru this fiasco again

Digby
October 17th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I will record to have video of the hook-and-ladder play. Otherwise nobody would ever believe it. Ideally, in our dreams, it may be the last O-play called during the Coen Era.

Pard94
October 17th, 2009, 05:39 PM
We might have the best defense in the league, despite many injuries. But we definitely have the worst offense. Defence is supposed to win ball games, BUT you need at least an average offense. I am very depressed over the whole situation.

Umm yeah. You don't have the best defense in the league either.

Digby
October 17th, 2009, 07:20 PM
No Lehigh does not have anything like the best defense in the league. What we had today was one of the worst games every played by any two teams and a defeat on a trick play. We also had a team with I believe 47 seconds left around midfield trying a ridiculous play that is more suited to the last play of a game. Even four heaves in the direction of the end zone would have been better. Much better.
That play will live in infamy in the hall of dumb plays.
I feel really bad for those kids. They deserve better than what Lehigh has provided.

Digby
October 17th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Coen's post-game comments from the web site"
"Our defense played their hearts out today," Lehigh head coach Andy Coen said afterwards. "I can't say enough about the effort that group gave today. No matter where Yale got the ball our defense made life tough on them. Unfortunately our offense was never able to get in gear. We have a large number of young guys playing in key spots and we continue to make too many mistakes. It's frustrating to know we shut them (Yale) out defensively but still lost the game."
Right. ``We had a large number of young guys playing in key spots...'' Those young guys did not just show up. They are players he recruited, trained and chose for those spots. A year or so ago, he was discarding the seniors in his comments now he is saying the young men he went after and picked are not good enough.
Enough is enough. Stand up.

YaleFootballFan
October 17th, 2009, 07:32 PM
"the last time Lehigh was shutout was September 7, 1986 …

xeekx xeekx

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Judas priest! People actually paid to see this game?xeekxxwhistlex

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2009, 08:15 PM

At least the online feed was free. xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2009, 08:18 PM
At least the online feed was free. xthumbsupx

We sucked this week. Losing to the 2nd best engineering school in the PL sucks. Well, we'll shove our frustration down Princeton's effete, tea-sipping throats next week.xthumbsupx

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2009, 08:28 PM
We sucked this week. Losing to the 2nd best engineering school in the PL sucks. Well, we'll shove our frustration down Princeton's effete, tea-sipping throats next week.xthumbsupx

We have the Quackers in Philly. Maybe if we don't give it away like Columbia, I heard they had 7 turnovers, we can pull the upset. We'll see.

Yale had 15 players with the flu, although only two starters missed the game because of illness. I actually thought they played a decent 2nd half, except for the INT's.

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2009, 08:31 PM
We have the Quackers in Philly. Maybe if we don't give it away like Columbia, I heard they had 7 turnovers, we can pull the upset. We'll see.

Yale had 15 players with the flu, although only two starters missed the game because of illness. I actually thought the played a decent 2nd half, except for the INT's.

Kick Penn's butt next week! Coal-mining SOBs.xsmiley_wix

ngineer
October 17th, 2009, 08:51 PM

Well, I actually prepaid with my season tickets..Little did I know.

I was there, and as LFN noted, I kept away from sharp objects. This is absolutely one of the most embarrassing and ugly games I have ever seen at any level. The other, unfortunately, was a Coen special: the 50 some to 10 debacle against Holy Cross two years ago, if y'all recall. Everyone has already said it. The abysmal play calling..we actually showed some ability to run, especially out of the wildcat, but the moment we had a couple positive running plays they insisted on throwing. Lum and Clark couldn't hit water today standing in a boat. First half, Lum, twice, had receivers deep and several steps behind the secondary and missed them by alot. I saw only one pass play across the middle--the beginning of the hook and ladder. I can't get started again. I spent an half hour venting with a bunch of other football alums afterward and got it out of my system.
Sterrett is going to have to make a move now or this program is in danger of going down the drain. Whether bringing in Cecchini, who has been an OC for Higgins/Lembo, Harvard and Higgins, again, could be the answer, but then, we all thought Coen would come up from Penn and reinstall the Higgins system. Maybe a good D-III or D-II coach looking to move up is around..Donelly at Muhlenberg was interested four year ago. I'm sure there are others out there. But I am now convinced after this debacle that a change must be made.
Brown, so I'm told, never played football despite his assistant positions at Stanford and Penn. The QB is the most important position and the QB coach never played a down of college football? Again, this is what I have heard, but the media guide is strangely silent about his actual playing. I say bring in Phil Stambaugh to coach up Clark and Lum. The SEEM like they have skills, but they are regressing. Mechanics are horrible, especially Lum and he continues to force balls into double and triple coverage, although early in the season when he subbed, he seemed to check off in his progressions.
I never thought I'd be debating on whether to make the trip to Bucknell next week and see a 2-0 game or go hike at Hawk Mountain. I have either played or been following Lehigh football for 39 years, and for the first time I am now deeply concerned about where this program is going.
We have no consistency on offense, I think, because we're constantly changing 'packages' and schemes. It's a virtual merry-go-round of personnel. No one can get a rhythm. At least three times today people were out there not sure what they were doing. This is football. Why do we have to make it so complex? Why do you think Biddle is so successful? His offense is the same all the time. Every year. We know what's coming, and yet, the majority of the time is succeeds because they keep drilling the same thing. Do 6 things well as opposed to 12 things mediocre or poorly. It's a helter-skelter choice of plays with no sense of what the plan is. It's always 'let's try this or that'. OC's should be thinking ahead in trying to set up the D for various plays. I am so friggin pissed off about this scene. I have to stop. I don't keep a gun in the house, but I do have nice bottle of Jack Daniels that hasn't been opened since last Christmas....xsmhx

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2009, 08:56 PM

I was there, and as LFN noted, I kept away from sharp objects. This is absolutely one of the most embarrassing and ugly games I have ever seen at any level. The other, unfortunately, was a Coen special: the 50 some to 10 debacle against Holy Cross two years ago, if y'all recall. Everyone has already said it. The abysmal play calling..we actually showed some ability to run, especially out of the wildcat, but the moment we had a couple positive running plays they insisted on throwing. Lum and Clark couldn't hit water today standing in a boat. First half, Lum, twice, had receivers deep and several steps behind the secondary and missed them by alot. I saw only one pass play across the middle--the beginning of the hook and ladder. I can't get started again. I spent an half hour venting with a bunch of other football alums afterward and got it out of my system.
Sterrett is going to have to make a move now or this program is in danger of going down the drain. Whether bringing in Cecchini, who has been an OC for Higgins/Lembo, Harvard and Higgins, again, could be the answer, but then, we all thought Coen would come up from Penn and reinstall the Higgins system. Maybe a good D-III or D-II coach looking to move up is around..Donelly at Muhlenberg was interested four year ago. I'm sure there are others out there. But I am now convinced after this debacle that a change must be made.
Brown, so I'm told, never played football despite his assistant positions at Stanford and Penn. The QB is the most important position and the QB coach never played a down of college football? Again, this is what I have heard, but the media guide is strangely silent about his actual playing. I say bring in Phil Stambaugh to coach up Clark and Lum. The SEEM like they have skills, but they are regressing. Mechanics are horrible, especially Lum and he continues to force balls into double and triple coverage, although early in the season when he subbed, he seemed to check off in his progressions.
I never thought I'd be debating on whether to make the trip to Bucknell next week and see a 2-0 game or go hike at Hawk Mountain. I have either played or been following Lehigh football for 39 years, and for the first time I am now deeply concerned about where this program is going.
We have no consistency on offense, I think, because we're constantly changing 'packages' and schemes. It's a virtual merry-go-round of personnel. No one can get a rhythm. At least three times today people were out there not sure what they were doing. This is football. Why do we have to make it so complex? Why do you think Biddle is so successful? His offense is the same all the time. Every year. We know what's coming, and yet, the majority of the time is succeeds because they keep drilling the same thing. Do 6 things well as opposed to 12 things mediocre or poorly. It's a helter-skelter choice of plays with no sense of what the plan is. It's always 'let's try this or that'. OC's should be thinking ahead in trying to set up the D for various plays. I am so friggin pissed off about this scene. I have to stop. I don't keep a gun in the house, but I do have nice bottle of Jack Daniels that hasn't been opened since last Christmas....xsmhx

ngineer, Jack and soda could be the answer! We sucked the crack pipe against the Laffers today. I'm venting and drinking cheap wine... after the good Scotch ran out. Go Phils!xthumbsupx

RichH2
October 17th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Gave up on Jack Daniels. Rusty Nails now that the weather is getting cool.xthumbsupx Numbs the frustration a bit. Sick of posting the same cr*p each week. I'm going to go back and make a hilight post of the best and just quote that from now on until Lehigh gets a new coach. At least a new OC.xmadx

ngineer
October 17th, 2009, 09:05 PM
ngineer, Jack and soda could be the answer! We sucked the crack pipe against the Laffers today. I'm venting and drinking cheap wine... after the good Scotch ran out. Go Phils!xthumbsupx

Yeah! I'm going to be there tomorrow night with my partner. Hopefully, the rain will be gone. I really need a Phils win after today. A repeat of yesterday's debacle in LA and I better not be allowed onto the Schuylkill Exressway...

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Not sure I could put in better than ng, but I tried:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/10/lehigh-0-yale-7-final.html

Franks Tanks
October 17th, 2009, 09:58 PM

Donnely is a very good coach but he is old and has a good thing going with the Mules. Would he leave at his age to get abused by the Lehigh Faithful?

Pards Rule
October 17th, 2009, 10:11 PM
^^^ Thats what I was thinking when I read the post..And would the Hawks hire a, gulp, Lafayette alum as Head Coach!!?!?!

RichH2
October 17th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Who knows? If we get 3 wins this year, it will be a frigging miracle. I know team now very young but that does not equate to the inept performance we saw today. For Andy to blame" mistakes by young guys in key positions" for this loss is a disgusting copout. These kids have supposedly been coached since August. Offense shows no sign of competence and certainly no improvement since CCSU.What exactly have these coaches been doing on offense?

NEW coach. Sterrett hopefully will get it right this time

Franks Tanks
October 17th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Who knows? If we get 3 wins this year, it will be a frigging miracle. I know team now very young but that does not equate to the inept performance we saw today. For Andy to blame" mistakes by young guys in key positions" for this loss is a disgusting copout. These kids have supposedly been coached since August. Offense shows no sign of competence and certainly no improvement since CCSU.What exactly have these coaches been doing on offense?

NEW coach. Sterrett hopefully will get it right this time

The Citadel lost to a poor Western Carolina team today and Citdel supporters are calling for Higgins to be fired. I doubt that will happen, but perhaps Higgins going back to Lehigh would be a plausible scenario.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2009, 01:00 AM
The Citadel lost to a poor Western Carolina team today and Citdel supporters are calling for Higgins to be fired. I doubt that will happen, but perhaps Higgins going back to Lehigh would be a plausible scenario.

I don't think that would be a good idea. Higgins was a good coach at Lehigh but i think at this point his overall record is so-so at best. I think he benefited from two big things that helped him at Lehigh. The trouble at Lafayette in the mid to late 90's which basically made them a non-factor in recruiting. The other thing was the attraction of the playoffs . That was a pretty big deal at the time and an obvious sell.

Pard94
October 18th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I have to imagine a coach going back to a school he previously coached, while still in his prime, would be an admission of failure or at least an admission of a mistake. WOuld Higgins do that?

RichH2
October 18th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Perhaps not for those reasons ,but kevin and Kay like the Lehigh Valley. I would not diminish Kevin's HC tenure. He was here as an asst. Got to know him very well while he was recruiting NJ. He is a hands on coach. Took Hank,s system made it better hired talented assts. Good in game manager. Great recruiter. Also, Citadel not an easy place to recruit to either.

Can you go home again successfully. I think he could. Would he want to after NFL and a schollie program? Hope Sterrett has started calling around.

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I don't think that would be a good idea. Higgins was a good coach at Lehigh but i think at this point his overall record is so-so at best. I think he benefited from two big things that helped him at Lehigh. The trouble at Lafayette in the mid to late 90's which basically made them a non-factor in recruiting. The other thing was the attraction of the playoffs . That was a pretty big deal at the time and an obvious sell.

Everybody acts like Lafayette was terrible for 10 years, it was really only 4 or 5 and only 2 or 3 of those yers were really bad. Our doldrums were nothing lke the ones at HC or Bucknell. We did have some of our worst year when Lehigh was having some of their best, so the gap looked wide a few times, but it ws never as bad as some thought.

dawwggboy
October 18th, 2009, 11:45 AM
A question to the board: Has anyone, ANYONE, seen a football game (PEEWEEs to the pros) as poorly play called and time managed as you did today. ANYONE! EVER! EEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

CFBfan
October 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM
A question to the board: Has anyone, ANYONE, seen a football game (PEEWEEs to the pros) as poorly play called and time managed as you did today. ANYONE! EVER! EEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

were you at the Georgetown game last week? or....any other GU game?!

RichH2
October 18th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I keep feeling it cant get worse, but it just does. I t seems that the last half of last season was a fluke.

hawkineer
October 18th, 2009, 01:49 PM
One of the guys from that school in Easton had raised this in an earlier post. Coen's 1-9 going into the final game. 10,000 LU fans are thinking: A) Hope LU gets their doors blown off to seal Coen's fate, xbawlingx B) Somehow plays as well as last year, and Coen wins two in a row against its archrival delivering to the alumni what we crave. :D Can you say dilemma - a problem offering at least two solutions or possibilities, of which none are practically acceptable? xoopsx

The Historian
October 18th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Mike Cooley got fired with a 2-0-1 record against Lafayette.

ngineer
October 18th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I have to imagine a coach going back to a school he previously coached, while still in his prime, would be an admission of failure or at least an admission of a mistake. WOuld Higgins do that?

No admission of anything. Higgins had not intention of leaving Lehigh. Was here a long time, but when an opportunity to coach in the NFL drops in your lap....I don't think too many people held it against him to take the shot. The timing of the change in Detroit missed us by one year. Had it occured on year later, he could have come back to replace Pete. Still, sometimes, it's hard to 'go home again'.

RichH2
October 18th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Watch Coen screw up all this angst by winning 4of 5 to end seasonxeekx

The Historian
October 18th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I remember in 1994, Lafayette lost its first six games and then ran the table against PL opponents to win the league title.

RichH2
October 18th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Was Coen the coach of the Pards back in 1994 xdohx

Owl Wingman
October 18th, 2009, 07:35 PM
This was one of the most disgraceful games I've ever been to.

RichH2
October 18th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Must be the first Lehigh game you've seen this year.xrolleyesx Unfortunately, wait til you see what happens against a good team like lafayette or Gatexnonono2x

bulldog10jw
October 18th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Must be the first Lehigh game you've seen this year.xrolleyesx Unfortunately, wait til you see what happens against a good team like lafayette or Gatexnonono2x

HEY!!!! No reason to insult Yale. xsmhx

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2009, 08:43 PM
This was one of the most disgraceful games I've ever been to.

BS-- I have seen the same from Temple on a regular basis for years.

Pards Rule
October 18th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I remember in 1994, Lafayette lost its first six games and then ran the table against PL opponents to win the league title.

Has it been 15 years already? I was at that great Lehigh game that year! Was that the year the new Lehigh mascot and the Hawks name was unveiled?

The Historian
October 18th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I think it was 1992 when the Engineer was pensioned off.

RichH2
October 18th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I was a history major opposed to becoming a Mountain Hawk. Geez, how PC could anyone be? Proud to be a Lehigh Engineer. I was one for 28 years. Only been a Hawk for the last 17

Pards Rule
October 19th, 2009, 08:56 AM
1994 was the year the Leopard got into fights with Lehigh fans and was throwing roundhouse paws at his tormentors and even did the JO motion with his tail a few times to the delight of the younger folks and consternation of the older folks.

Pard4Life
October 19th, 2009, 09:43 AM
BS-- I have seen the same from Temple on a regular basis for years.

HA! Oh snap...

Pard4Life
October 19th, 2009, 09:48 AM

I can't imagine this being worse than CCSU and Princeton games ( at both). I caught the last five minutes on SE2, including the hook n ladder fiasco. That play tells me Coen has no confidence in his offense or doesn't trust them by resorting to a trick play. Your inside the 50 in hurry up after just making a big gain!