PDA

View Full Version : Article on Furman's Chris Forcier

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I found this article really interesting. Helped answer a lot of questions Furman fans (and others I would assume) had about the use of #5.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20091015/SPORTS/910150324/1027/SPORTS0103/Paladins-easing-Forcier-into-action

When sophomore quarterback Chris Forcier arrived at Furman University he was looking for a second start, not to be the second coming.

He did not believe Furman's offense needed a savior, or even another Ingle Martin.

Martin transferred to Furman from the University of Florida in 2004 and proceeded to become the Paladins' all-time leading passer in only two seasons. In his first year, he passed for 2,792 yards and 22 touchdowns, while leading Furman to a 10-3 record and a Southern Conference championship.

The next season, he set the record for most passing yardage in a single season, amassing 2,959. Martin still holds the Furman career records for yardage (5,751), passing touchdowns (42) and total offense (6,277). In 2006, Martin was selected in the fifth round of the NFL draft by the Green Bay Packers.

After transferring out of UCLA this summer, Forcier said he was enticed by Martin's success. However, he did not come to Furman in an attempt to immediately duplicate it.

“It is just a different situation,” Forcier said. “His success here definitely factored into my decision to come, but when he came here the job was wide open. There wasn't a starter to compete with. He was also here for a spring versus me coming in the summer and being expected to take the job from a guy who's been here for four years now. That's a little bit tougher to do.”

That incumbent quarterback is fifth-year senior Jordan Sorrells, who has made his mark in the Furman record books as well. Sorrells is third in career passing yardage, sixth in career touchdowns and sixth in total offense.

Upon his arrival, Forcier was heralded for his footspeed, as he was reportedly clocked with a 4.3 40-yard dash. Thus, he was tabbed to work in a two-fold rotation with Sorrells. However, Furman coach Bobby Lamb said Forcier has yet to turn the page on mastering Furman's playbook, and rather than thrust him into action unprepared, he plans to patiently allow Forcier to feel his way through the offense.

“Chris actually went through spring practice at UCLA last year. He played receiver the entire time, so he really hadn't taken any snaps at quarterback,” Lamb said. “It's a very difficult task for a transfer trying to learn our offense.

(2 of 2)

“He's making strides. He's getting better every day. He's getting a lot of reps in practice and that's what we want to see. He's certainly going to be a great player for us.”

Furman has developed a run-heavy Fury package for Forcier, similar to the ever-popular Wildcat formation. Yet, Furman has only utilized the package sparingly. Forcier has appeared in three of Furman's five games. He has yet to attempt a pass but has rushed six times for 43 yards.

“It's there for every gameplan,” Forcier said of the Fury. “It's just up to the coaches and the situation of the game, as to whether they want to use it or not. I'm just trying to stay positive and help any way I can.

I'm watching film every day, and Jordan is teaching me stuff. I'm getting the offense down. I'm getting more reps on the practice field. That definitely helps. You can only learn so much from studying a playbook. It helps when you get reps to learn stuff faster. That's the biggest thing, especially for getting a groove with the other players on your team.”

As Furman prepares for Saturday's game against Samford, Forcier said he will focus only on being ready if or when his number is called, rather than attempting to be like anyone else, including Martin, Sorrells or even his own brother Tate, who has already passed for nine touchdowns this season as a true freshman at the University of Michigan.

“The bottom-line is that if you can play, you can play,” Forcier said. “My little brother is proving that. He's showing that you can lead at any level. I'm looking forward for my opportunity. I don't know when it will come, but I've just got to be prepared for it.”

eaglewraith
October 15th, 2009, 12:48 PM
FACT: If he starts playing like his brother has, I'm going to instantly hate him

FACT: His family is a toolbag for making a fact list for his press release marking his transfer

:D

FICTION: Furman wins in Statesboro this year

Waco Kid
October 15th, 2009, 03:39 PM
"It's a very difficult task for a transfer trying to learn our offense"

I never knew FU's offense was so complicated.

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2009, 03:53 PM

I've actually been told before Furman's offense is rather complex. Just take the Elon game last weekend Furman showed about every offensive set from double wingbone to shotgun and five wide.

Most Furman fans would love to see Forcier running some sort of wildcat-type thing. I think the teams playing us later in the season will see it.

GATA
October 15th, 2009, 06:35 PM

It's not.

This is a nice way of saying "Our QB is the offensive coordinator's kid and quite frankly Forcier isn't that good anyway."

blueballs
October 15th, 2009, 06:42 PM
The thing that's got me scratching my head about this is if the kid is struggling picking up the offense and isn't playing, and they've got a kid who is a SR getting the snaps, why on earth didn't they redshirt Forcier instead of burning his shirt for no real good reason??????

GATA
October 15th, 2009, 06:47 PM
The thing that's got me scratching my head about this is if the kid is struggling picking up the offense and isn't playing, and they've got a kid who is a SR getting the snaps, why on earth didn't they redshirt Forcier instead of burning his shirt for no real good reason??????

He may have already burned his redshirt at UCLA. I haven't looked it up, but that's the only thing that comes to mind.

apaladin
October 15th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I've actually been told before Furman's offense is rather complex. Just take the Elon game last weekend Furman showed about every offensive set from double wingbone to shotgun and five wide.

Most Furman fans would love to see Forcier running some sort of wildcat-type thing. I think the teams playing us later in the season will see it.

The few plays he has run this year has been from the fury, which is Furman's version of the wildcat, so we have already seen it.

seantaylor
October 15th, 2009, 09:50 PM
This guy is a supreme douche. Just another overrated transfer that never saw the field at a mediocre FBS team.

crabby terrier
October 15th, 2009, 10:54 PM
This guy is a supreme douche. Just another overrated transfer that never saw the field at a mediocre FBS team.

that's a bit harsh. his father might be a "supreme douche" but i thought he was very modest and down to earth with his comments in the above article. he is just another player making the most of the options that are available. maybe you need to switch from from tighty whities to boxers...take a bit of pressure off the "twins"xsmiley_wix:D

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Good grief. Another asanine post from you. The kid is going to be a starter at Furman, he will be a very good player for the Paladins. The reality is he came to Furman and had to unseat a 5th year senior who's father is the offensive coordinator. Unlikely.

You may end to eat those words. Do we really need to tick off the useless/overated transfers that have gone to Georgia Southern in just the last two or three years?

OL FU
October 16th, 2009, 07:46 AM
He may have already burned his redshirt at UCLA. I haven't looked it up, but that's the only thing that comes to mind.

Yes he was redshirted his first year at UCLA.

93henfan
October 16th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Transfer QBs never work out. xwhistlex

blueballs
October 16th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Yes he was redshirted his first year at UCLA.

Makes sense now... I was scratching my head over it.