PDA

View Full Version : Frisco, Southland Make Bid For FCS Championship Game

GeauxLions94
October 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Saw this just posted on Southland.org ... some snippets are below.

Frisco, Southland Bid On FCS Title Game (http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=204813937)

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics10/500/XV/XVVBIGCBRCFXUIZ.20091014223118.jpg

FRISCO, Texas – The City of Frisco, in partnership with Hunt Sports Group, LLC and the Southland Conference, submitted a bid this week to serve as the host of the NCAA Division I Football Championship Games following the 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons. Should the city be successful in its bid effort, the contest, formerly known as the NCAA Division I-AA Championship game, will be played at Frisco’s 23,500-seat Pizza Hut Park. The Southland will serve as the host conference.

The state-of-the-art facility features 18 luxury suites, a 6,000-square foot stadium club, two suite decks and four covered pavilions for larger groups, two video display boards for spectators, and an open concourse allowing full viewing of game action. Baylor Health Care System also has a 6,500-square foot sports medicine and rehabilitation center at the stadium, the national headquarters of U.S. Youth Soccer are located at Pizza Hut Park, and numerous restaurants and retail developments have also been built in and around the complex.

Frisco, located just 25 miles north of downtown Dallas, has developed a reputation as a burgeoning sports center in recent years. In addition to FC Dallas and Pizza Hut Park, the city is also home to the NHL’s Dallas Stars executive headquarters and training facility, the 8,800-seat Dr Pepper Ballpark, home to the Frisco RoughRiders of the Texas League, and the 6,100-seat Dr Pepper Arena, home to the Texas Tornado of the North American Hockey League, and a new NBA Development League team.

JohnStOnge
October 14th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Interesting. That looks like a pretty good venue and a stadium of about the right seating capacity. Also in the Dallas metro area which would be nice. Fairly centrally located nationally too. And flights into Dallas tend to be relatively cheap.

danefan
October 14th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Best non-Chatty idea yet.

I also like the idea of a conference sponsoring it and not a specific school.

onbison09
October 14th, 2009, 07:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4
For purely selfish reasons I hope this wins. Hell yeah!!

chattanoogamocs
October 14th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Of all I have seen so far...this one worries more than the rest.

(I have never heard of Frisco, TX in my life...would it be considered suburban Dallas?)

PhoenixSupreme
October 14th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I don't want the FCS National Championship Game played at a place called Pizza Hut Park. End of story.

Although the location is quite appealing...

DG Cowboy
Of all I have seen so far...this one worries more than the rest.

(I have never heard of Frisco, TX in my life...would it be considered suburban Dallas?)

Yes, think north Dallas ritzy, blueblood suburb. Its all run together as the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex.

TexasTerror
Frisco, Texas would be considered suburban Dallas...

Everyone can fly into DFW and/or Love Field from all corners of the United States. The Southland has been involved in major NCAA championship events - both the schools and the league itself.

Wonder how well the city would support it - do any schools outside of the SLC or SWAC have nice alum bases there?

bluehenbillk
October 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Now here is an idea I like. You can't compare Chattanooga and Dallas. Texas is as big as it gets for football. I would imagine the average CAA school fan would be more likely to make a trip to Dallas versus Chatty.

Good luck with the bid, and how far is Frisco from Planon I'd have a free place to stay!!

NSUDemon98
October 14th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Interesting. That looks like a pretty good venue and a stadium of about the right seating capacity. Also in the Dallas metro area which would be nice. Fairly centrally located nationally too. And flights into Dallas tend to be relatively cheap.

....and 10 minutes from my parent's house... :D

NSUDemon98
October 14th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Now here is an idea I like. You can't compare Chattanooga and Dallas. Texas is as big as it gets for football. I would imagine the average CAA school fan would be more likely to make a trip to Dallas versus Chatty.

Good luck with the bid, and how far is Frisco from Planon I'd have a free place to stay!!

Plano? About 20-30 minutes

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 14th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I'd like to see the game stay in Chatty. That said, this wouldn't be a bad option.

FargoBison
October 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM
So far this definitely looks like the best option.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I LOVE the idea!

Good luck SLC and Frisco! I'd make the drive from Houston to these championship games regardless of who's playing. xthumbsupx

McNeese75
October 14th, 2009, 10:05 PM
My old HS girlfriend lives up there somewhere but that might not go over too well with the wife xlolx

chattanoogamocs
October 14th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I would imagine the average CAA school fan would be more likely to make a trip to Dallas versus Chatty.

Seems to me that plenty of CAA fans have had no trouble making it to Chattanooga.

Outside of Appalachian and GSU, CAA has brought the biggest crowds I have seen...followed by Montana, then probably McNeese and UNI.

ur2k
October 14th, 2009, 11:29 PM

Except for the fact that you remove driving from the equation for a lot of CAA schools.

Thumper 76
October 14th, 2009, 11:32 PM
God forbid the CAA doesn't get to drive to the Championship Game

ur2k
October 14th, 2009, 11:45 PM
God forbid the CAA doesn't get to drive to the Championship Game

It is a concern when the CAA keeps sending schools to the NC game xcoffeex

GSU Just One More Time
October 14th, 2009, 11:58 PM
That looks very nice. However, I believe it should stay in Chattanooga for the following reason.
Travel distance for the teams. Over the past ten years the following teams have been in the NC Game. 99 - GSU vs YSU
00 - GSU vs Montana
01 - Montana vs Furman
02 -Western KY vs Mcneese St,
03 - Delaware vs Colgate
04 -James Madison vs Montana,
05 -App. ST vs N Iowa
06 - App St. vs UMASS
07 - App St. vs Delaware
08 - Richmond vs Montana.

With the Exception of Montana the city of Chattanooga is much closer to all the teams that have played for a NC. The distance from Chatt to Missoulla 2056.8 Miles, Dallas to Missoulla 1670.4 Miles. Either way it is a long way to travel for a Game. I guess what i am saying is with the majority of the FCS teams being on the east coast I believe the game should stay on the east coast. It does not have to stay in Chattanooga but until there is another good option it should stay there. You could move it to Atlanta, and play in the Ga Dome but could anyone fill that stadium?

It took Chattanooga a long time to build up the fan base there. It is only reasonable to think unless a team close to Dallas was in the game that it would take them the same amount of time to build up interest.

I have been to the game 6 times twice with GSU, All 3 App. St and the Furman vs Montana. I don't believe GSU, APP, or Furman would have had as big a crowd out in Dallas. I cant see any of the CAA teams traveling better to Dallas than to Chatt.

To be honest I would love to see the game go the higher seeded team. Just like the home playoff games do. For a team like Montana that would mean that they would not have had to travel for 2 of those games.

Native
October 15th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Two major airports, numerous freeways, unlimited things to do, and 6.3 million population in the middle of the most football-crazy part of the country.

Lower altitude so less likely to get feezing ice or snow on the roads than Chattanooga.

You can leave on Thursday and drive 550 (Richmond) to 1,050 miles (Boston) one-way from CAA land to Chatty or you can fly for the weekend from Norfolk, Baltimore or Boston to Dallas on Southwest Airlines for under $500 round trip.

TheValleyRaider
October 15th, 2009, 12:13 AM
As a current Ft. Worth resident, I approve this bid xnodx

Native
October 15th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Maybe the venue at Chatty is a little more convenient for some teams in the SOCON, OVC and MEAC, theoretically, but not the CAA or anyone else.

Frisco is 25 miles from Dallas Love Foeld. Chatty is nearly 120 miles from Atlanta.

06 - App St. vs UMASS. Amherst: 33 hours drive RT @ $1100 gas and depreciation vs 14 hours drive and fly for $600 flight incl rental car

07 - App St. vs Delaware. Newark 23 hours drive RT @ $700 gas and depreciation vs 14 hours drive and fly for $600 flight incl rental car

08 - Richmond vs Montana. Richmond 18 hours drive RT @ $600 vs 14 hours drive and fly RT @$600 incl rental car

crossfire07
October 15th, 2009, 01:39 AM
no matter where it is held, it will be a long drive for somebody. ch00 ch00 is about as central U.S. as it will get which helps the NCAA when it comes to travel money and I think it will take a lot of money to get it moved.

chattanoogamocs
October 15th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Car depreciations and lower altitudes. Seriously? :)

DFW HOYA
October 15th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Frisco, Texas would be considered suburban Dallas...

Frisco could also be considered suburban Oklahoma... xlolx

WWII
October 15th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I like this too, my son lives in Plano. I've driven by the stadium, it's very nice. Of course I'm in Albany so every stadium looks nice to me.

Dane96
October 15th, 2009, 07:55 AM
This...is an idea I am on board with. Frisco is a nice park, cheap flights from just about anywhere...

...and you will have some nip in the air...none of this warmer weather stuff.

henfan
October 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM
While I wouldn't favor moving the NC game to 'destination' cities like Missoula or Spokane, the Metroplex could prove to be better than even Chattanooga. Depends on the type of events created around the game, as well as the level of community support provided. Hopefully Frisco puts together a great bid.xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 15th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I would imagine the average CAA school fan would be more likely to make a trip to Dallas versus Chatty.
Based on what?

Native
October 15th, 2009, 10:04 AM
...ch00 ch00 is about as central U.S. as it will get which helps the NCAA when it comes to travel money and I think it will take a lot of money to get it moved.

No, Chatty is not the most central in terms of travel time, nor the least expensive.

El Griz
October 15th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I think those on the East Coast better look up the term "Charter", and start preparing. Lord knows how many we have had to put together just to get to the game.

89Hen
October 15th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I think those on the East Coast better look up the term "Charter", and start preparing. Lord knows how many we have had to put together just to get to the game.
Not our fault you live in the middle of nowhere. :p

Native
October 15th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Car depreciations and lower altitudes. Seriously? :)

Frisco has better average weather conditions in December than does Chattanooga.

Frisco average high = 57.4, average low = 38.6, average monthly precipitation = 2.53.

http://www.srh.weather.gov/fwd/?n=dallasloveclimatology

Chattanooga average high = 52.0, average low = 32.7, average precipoitation = 4.81.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mrx/cha/cha12nml.php

GeauxColonels
October 15th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Just stop winning all of those playoff games and problem solved! :D

Just joking of course. Personally, if Nicholls State were to ever make it, I don't care where it would be...I'm going.

GannonFan
October 15th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Question about the field dimensions at Pizza Hut Park - it's a soccer stadium, correct? On wiki they have the field dimensions listed as 117 yards x 74 yards - that makes it 3 yards too short lengthwise and just fine widthwise. What do they do when they host football games there, i.e. what do the back of the endzones look like considering the soccer field dimensions are a bit on the small side?

danefan
October 15th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Question about the field dimensions at Pizza Hut Park - it's a soccer stadium, correct? On wiki they have the field dimensions listed as 117 yards x 74 yards - that makes it 3 yards too short lengthwise and just fine widthwise. What do they do when they host football games there, i.e. what do the back of the endzones look like considering the soccer field dimensions are a bit on the small side?

You can see it for yourself as it is set up for football on the google maps sat image:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=pizza+hut+park&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=48.688845,78.837891&ie=UTF8&hq=Pizza+Hut+Park&hnear=Pizza+Hut+Park,+Frisco,+TX+75034&ll=33.154125,-96.834928&spn=0.003166,0.004812&t=h&z=18

GannonFan
October 15th, 2009, 10:59 AM
You can see it for yourself as it is set up for football on the google maps sat image:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=pizza+hut+park&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=48.688845,78.837891&ie=UTF8&hq=Pizza+Hut+Park&hnear=Pizza+Hut+Park,+Frisco,+TX+75034&ll=33.154125,-96.834928&spn=0.003166,0.004812&t=h&z=18

Thanks. Looks good. xthumbsupx

I'm up for a change - been to Chatty, it's fine, but not so special that we couldn't move it. I'm all for trying Frisco!!!

danefan
October 15th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I love that the stadium has a permanent stage built into it. It would be cool if the NCAA got a decent band to play at halftime.

What would be even cooler is if the SLC and the SWAC teamed up to showcase a SWAC band on National TV at halftime.

Really show the depth of FCS football outside of the game.

89Hen
October 15th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I love that the stadium has a permanent stage built into it.
xeyebrowx That's what that grey block is? Looked almost fake.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 15th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I like this too, my son lives in Plano. I've driven by the stadium, it's very nice. Of course I'm in Albany so every stadium looks nice to me.

You didn't go to the UNH game last year did you?

89Hen
October 15th, 2009, 11:09 AM
BTW, this Frisco is sounding more and more like the best alternate out there right now to me. :)

danefan
October 15th, 2009, 11:15 AM
xeyebrowx That's what that grey block is? Looked almost fake.

Yeah, the angle of the sattelite makes it look weird, but its actually the cover over the stage.

Here's a better view:
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=phs4946xxbqf&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=36523255&encType=1

danefan
October 15th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Haha......have you ever seen our "stadium"?

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs279.snc1/10632_187758032500_125962027500_3905921_1908021_n. jpg

Big Al
October 15th, 2009, 11:17 AM
What is the area directly around the stadium like?

When I went to the Fiesta Bowl in 2004, one of the best things about it was the city of Tempe had basically made the 3 blocks surrounding the stadium party central. It helped that there were already good retail/bars/restaurants because the AZ State campus is located there, as well.

If Pizza Hut park has nice retail/dining opportunities nearby, it could be a very good thing. Even if the rest of the DFW metroplex has no idea that the real D-I championship is going down in Frisco, the fans could party their a$$es off.

89Hen
October 15th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Yeah, the angle of the sattelite makes it look weird, but its actually the cover over the stage.
Ah, makes more sense now.

Another BTW... I've been saying for a while that I-AA's should model their stadiums after soccer stadiums because they are the right size. Would love to have a stadium like this in Newark (except in blue). xthumbsupx

GannonFan
October 15th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I love that the stadium has a permanent stage built into it. It would be cool if the NCAA got a decent band to play at halftime.

What would be even cooler is if the SLC and the SWAC teamed up to showcase a SWAC band on National TV at halftime.

I'm not in favor of a halftime show by some B-level rock band. Don't most schools bring their own marching bands to the game anyway? Let them perform first and if both bands are there you don't need to worry about any other option. And if you have a school like Richmond that is sans marching band, then I'd be all in favor of a local marching band. I'd love to hear Southern's band in person, for instance.

Native
October 15th, 2009, 11:51 AM
At that time of year, plenty of students and alumni will make it to the game in Frisco, no matter who makes the finals.

The excitement, publicity for the entire FCS, and increased revenue generated by filling a larger stadium and probably getting a better TV contract every year will be great for the FCS! xthumbsupx

GreatAppSt
October 15th, 2009, 12:33 PM
IMHO after moving the game day to January, travel and will be much easier on the fans, a 23,000 seat stadium seems a bit limiting.

MplsBison
October 15th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Very nice!

Dallas is great for flying and lots to do in the area.

GannonFan
October 15th, 2009, 01:03 PM
At that time of year, plenty of students and alumni will make it to the game in Frisco, no matter who makes the finals.

The excitement, publicity for the entire FCS, and increased revenue generated by filling a larger stadium and probably getting a better TV contract every year will be great for the FCS! xthumbsupx

IMHO after moving the game day to January, travel and will be much easier on the fans, a 23,000 seat stadium seems a bit limiting.

Just questioning this though, what makes you think it will be easier for people to travel in the first week of January as opposed to the middle of December? And for a game that could be in the middle of a week as opposed to a Friday? Anybody with kids will know that schools are back in session that first week in January, and people with jobs are typically back to work after a week's vacation for the holidays. And while I'm personally fine with the Frisco idea, there will have to be some realization that almost everyone now will need to fly, whereas before it was just the Far West teams (well, Montana - not like anyone else is making the title game from there) that absolutely had to fly. Having it in Frisco will pretty much, for the vast majority of FCS fans, take out the option to drive. I'm not sure that there'll be any more people at the title game than there are now.

As for the increased revenue and better TV contract, isn't the FCS title game just part of the overall championship contract that ESPN has to show all different NCAA sports and their title games? I don't really see how the value of the FCS title game is going to substantially improve year after year, regardless of where it's played. Having the game in Frisco is not going to substantially increase the revenue generated from the game as compared to what Chatty does.

WWII
October 15th, 2009, 01:24 PM

No, I had a golf tournament, but UNH's stadium is a palace compared to Albany.

msusig
October 15th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Finally somebody put in a bid worth looking at. Best choice so far out of the current bids.:)

Only wish it was a bigger stadium. Maybe the Dallas Cowboys new stadium. That would seem like a championship game and exciting to go to. Plus we wouldn't have to pay $$$$$$ just to see a game in the stadium. I would love to see that new TV they have in the center of the stadium.

89Hen
October 15th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Dallas is great for flying and lots to do in the area.
You did notice the field was grass though? xwhistlex

89Hen
October 15th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Just questioning this though, what makes you think it will be easier for people to travel in the first week of January as opposed to the middle of December? And for a game that could be in the middle of a week as opposed to a Friday?
FWIW, the game will be a Sunday for forseeable future as the BCS NC game is a Monday for at least the next 4 years. But I too have questioned how "easy" it will be to travel so soon after the holidays. Two weeks before IMO is a lot easier than the weekend after NY.

msusig
October 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Sounds like most people are having problems with the date rather than the location with comments about high school being back in session, Bowl Games overshadowing the championship, and holiday travel.

89Hen
October 15th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Sounds like most people are having problems with the date rather than the location with comments about high school being back in session, Bowl Games overshadowing the championship, and holiday travel.
It's both. xpeacex

McNeese75
October 15th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I'm not in favor of a halftime show by some B-level rock band. Don't most schools bring their own marching bands to the game anyway? Let them perform first and if both bands are there you don't need to worry about any other option. And if you have a school like Richmond that is sans marching band, then I'd be all in favor of a local marching band. I'd love to hear Southern's band in person, for instance.

xrolleyesx How about a MEAC band or someone from a conference that actually supports the playoff system xnodx

Big Al
October 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM
FWIW, the game will be a Sunday for forseeable future as the BCS NC game is a Monday for at least the next 4 years. But I too have questioned how "easy" it will be to travel so soon after the holidays. Two weeks before IMO is a lot easier than the weekend after NY.

I disagree -- with the NC game moving to 3 weeks after the last playoff game, people now have more time to make plans. This will allow them to rearrange their vacation so they can accomodate a trip to a NC game.

I think a 23,000 seat stadium is an excellent choice. Since the game traditionally brings 15k or so, you want to accomodate a few more more people who can now come because they have the time to arrange a trip. If the game sells out consistently, you can look at a larger stadium at that point.

State Line Liquors
October 15th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I like the look of this place. Plenty of places to stay. It was a friggin disaster in Nooga last time with all the rooms booked up in advance by the App fans. Ended up in some roach motel 15-20 minutes back up the road toward Nashville. They've got the amenities, better weather, easier access to an airport (Philly to Love is an easy shot via Southwest) and a bunch of hotels. Hotel rooms in January aren't too bad.

I hope they win their bid.

GannonFan
October 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM

xrolleyesx How about a MEAC band or someone from a conference that actually supports the playoff system xnodx

I'm looking local, or as local as can be. Besides, the MEAC's not filled with great bands outside of FAMU.

89Hen
October 15th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I disagree -- with the NC game moving to 3 weeks after the last playoff game, people now have more time to make plans. This will allow them to rearrange their vacation so they can accomodate a trip to a NC game.
It does allow more time, but do you really think I'm going to tell my wife and kids that we're not taking Christmas break and instead are going to fly to Chatty, Frisco or Spokane for a football game just as the kids go back to school? No way Jose.

msusig
October 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I like the look of this place. Plenty of places to stay. It was a friggin disaster in Nooga last time with all the rooms booked up in advance by the App fans. Ended up in some roach motel 15-20 minutes back up the road toward Nashville. They've got the amenities, better weather, easier access to an airport (Philly to Love is an easy shot via Southwest) and a bunch of hotels. Hotel rooms in January aren't too bad.

I hope they win their bid.

Finally I hear somebody telling the truth about Chattanooga.

msusig
October 15th, 2009, 04:27 PM
It does allow more time, but do you really think I'm going to tell my wife and kids that we're not taking Christmas break and instead are going to fly to Chatty, Frisco or Spokane for a football game just as the kids go back to school? No way Jose.

Everybody's situation is different and they aren't going to please everybody.

SoCalAg
October 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM
We on the west coast would much more likely go to Dallas area than Tenn. I just hope it doesn't take too long to get Davis/Cal Poly in the game......

89Hen
October 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Everybody's situation is different and they aren't going to please everybody.
No, you're not, but I think I'm rather an average fan. I'm a season ticket holder. I go to away games when I can. I've been to Chatty once.

BTW, you didn't answer my question yesterday. Have you been to Chatty for the game?

chattanoogamocs
October 15th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Finally I hear somebody telling the truth about Chattanooga.

Yeah, up until now, it's been a big conspiracy to keep the truth from being known.

xdohx

WestCoastAggie
October 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=McNeese75;1435349]

I'm looking local, or as local as can be. Besides, the MEAC's not filled with great bands outside of FAMU.

Someone needs to attend some MEAC bands before they can SAY THIS STATEMENT.

You can't forget about Norfolk St, BCU, SC State & A&T xwhistlex

Dallas Demon
October 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM
What is the area directly around the stadium like?

When I went to the Fiesta Bowl in 2004, one of the best things about it was the city of Tempe had basically made the 3 blocks surrounding the stadium party central. It helped that there were already good retail/bars/restaurants because the AZ State campus is located there, as well.

If Pizza Hut park has nice retail/dining opportunities nearby, it could be a very good thing. Even if the rest of the DFW metroplex has no idea that the real D-I championship is going down in Frisco, the fans could party their a$$es off.

There's massive development (shopping, restaurants, entertainment) all around the stadium, within walking distance, short driving distance, and a few miles away. The more I think about this the more I think it is perfect to host the championship game. Frisco would promote this game big-time, I think it would easily be a sellout and with tons of fun stuff for out of towners around and near the stadium.

State Line Liquors
October 15th, 2009, 10:29 PM
It really takes very little to be more affordably priced and convenient than Chattanooga. Nooga is basically a 2 hour drive from any major airport and an absurdly long car ride from just about anywhere in FCS-land besides Boone, NC. Nothing is ever too far when an affordably priced flight isn't far away. Chatty doesn't have that.

I hope Frisco wins their bid, and I get a chance to visit Dallas. Good luck Southland Conference. Hopefully the offer is competitive and is well organized. I think our championship needs a facelift.

Dallas Demon
October 15th, 2009, 10:31 PM
That looks very nice. However, I believe it should stay in Chattanooga for the following reason.
Travel distance for the teams. Over the past ten years the following teams have been in the NC Game. 99 - GSU vs YSU
00 - GSU vs Montana
01 - Montana vs Furman
02 -Western KY vs Mcneese St,
03 - Delaware vs Colgate
04 -James Madison vs Montana,
05 -App. ST vs N Iowa
06 - App St. vs UMASS
07 - App St. vs Delaware
08 - Richmond vs Montana.

With the Exception of Montana the city of Chattanooga is much closer to all the teams that have played for a NC. The distance from Chatt to Missoulla 2056.8 Miles, Dallas to Missoulla 1670.4 Miles. Either way it is a long way to travel for a Game. I guess what i am saying is with the majority of the FCS teams being on the east coast I believe the game should stay on the east coast. It does not have to stay in Chattanooga but until there is another good option it should stay there. You could move it to Atlanta, and play in the Ga Dome but could anyone fill that stadium?

It took Chattanooga a long time to build up the fan base there. It is only reasonable to think unless a team close to Dallas was in the game that it would take them the same amount of time to build up interest.

I have been to the game 6 times twice with GSU, All 3 App. St and the Furman vs Montana. I don't believe GSU, APP, or Furman would have had as big a crowd out in Dallas. I cant see any of the CAA teams traveling better to Dallas than to Chatt.

To be honest I would love to see the game go the higher seeded team. Just like the home playoff games do. For a team like Montana that would mean that they would not have had to travel for 2 of those games.

High school stadiums here are anywhere from 10 to 15K - most are full on Friday nights. High school playoffs are played in places like Texas Stadium (now the new Cowboy Stadium), crowds average anywhere from 30K up to 50K. People love and crave football around here. As long as the game isn't competing against the Dallas Cowboys, the stadium will be packed.

Dallas Demon
October 15th, 2009, 10:35 PM
....and 10 minutes from my parent's house... :D

A hop, skip, and jump from my house!

BDKJMU
October 15th, 2009, 11:46 PM

Not quite. The BCS title game this season isn't on a Mon. Its on Thur, Jan 7. The 3 years after that its on a Mon. Then in 14' its on a Tues.

2011' Mon, Jan 10th from what I looked up. That will be later than they have ever played it before. I wonder why they are playing it so late? As they have been playing it on a Mon or Thur the last 4 years, why not on Thur, Jan 6th (as I had thought they would) or Mon, Jan 3rd?

The dates of the last 10 I-A NC games and the next 5:
99' Mon, Jan 4
00' Tues, Jan 4
01' Wed, Jan 3
02' Thur, Jan 3
03' Fri, Jan 3
04' Sun, Jan 4
05' Tues, Jan 4
06' Wed, Jan 8
07' Mon, Jan 8
08' Mon, Jan 7
09' Thur, Jan 8
10' Thur Jan 7
11' Mon, Jan 10. I-AA NC game on Sun, Jan 9.
12' Mon, Jan 9. I-AA NC game on Sun, Jan 8.
13' Mon, Jan 7. I-AA NC game on Sun, Jan 6 (must be a leap year).
14' Tues, Jan 7. I-AA NC game on Mon, Jan 6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCS_National_Championship_Game
http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/future

BDKJMU
October 16th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Just questioning this though, what makes you think it will be easier for people to travel in the first week of January as opposed to the middle of December? And for a game that could be in the middle of a week as opposed to a Friday? Anybody with kids will know that schools are back in session that first week in January, and people with jobs are typically back to work after a week's vacation for the holidays. And while I'm personally fine with the Frisco idea, there will have to be some realization that almost everyone now will need to fly, whereas before it was just the Far West teams (well, Montana - not like anyone else is making the title game from there) that absolutely had to fly. Having it in Frisco will pretty much, for the vast majority of FCS fans, take out the option to drive. I'm not sure that there'll be any more people at the title game than there are now.

As for the increased revenue and better TV contract, isn't the FCS title game just part of the overall championship contract that ESPN has to show all different NCAA sports and their title games? I don't really see how the value of the FCS title game is going to substantially improve year after year, regardless of where it's played. Having the game in Frisco is not going to substantially increase the revenue generated from the game as compared to what Chatty does.

Looks like the 2010 season NC it will be Sun, Jan 9th, 2011.

UNH Fanboi
October 16th, 2009, 01:15 AM

I'm curious, how much did a charter run per person?

BearsCountry
October 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Don't forget you have the Hunt Family behind this as well. They have put on major events before - Big 12 Championship in Kansas City, MLS Cup, etc.

Redbird Ray
October 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM

I think a lot of the new MLS stadiums have that. They make for perfect size concert venues in the summer. I'm pretty sure Toyota Park in Chicago has that as well.

El Griz
October 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Cost is highly correlated to fuel costs at the time. Last year with 3 nights lodging, tickets, shuttles, the cost was near $1,300. There are some charters that do not stay that many nights which will bring the cost down.

Also good to research the charter company. One trip, the charter actually called ahead for more beer when landing for gas on the way. (As we had finished the supply they had well before half way there). Friendly bunch. Another charter schooled you like a red headed step child for asking for your third or more beer. Turns out that charter was from Utah, go figure.

W. DeMontague
October 17th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Been to the stadium to see FC Dallas play there. Nice area. Growing like heck. Have friends in the area as well. No FCS teams in the Metroplex though. Closest are Stephen F. and Sam Houston, about 200 miles away. But it is a perfect sized venue. Good views from anywhere. I'd support the bid.

McTailGator
October 19th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I LOVE the idea!

Good luck SLC and Frisco! I'd make the drive from Houston to these championship games regardless of who's playing. xthumbsupx

I would still perfer Dynamo Stadium in Down Town Houston,

But I understand they have a lot of hotels and bars all in walking distance from the stadium, so I guess I could get used to it. (:

I'd go regardless of who is playing.

McTailGator
October 19th, 2009, 04:16 PM
While I wouldn't favor moving the NC game to 'destination' cities like Missoula or Spokane, the Metroplex could prove to be better than even Chattanooga. Depends on the type of events created around the game, as well as the level of community support provided. Hopefully Frisco puts together a great bid.xthumbsupx

FRISCO has a LOT of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....

IF they REALLY want it, they will probably be able to buy it.

I understand that the SLC Commish already has SEVERAL key National and local sponsors lined up for the game. Possibly even an airline that would offer 21 day type of advanced fares and charters for the two schools in the game.

So Chatty will have to probably give up a first born child to keep the game at this point.

I'll admit that being a Houston resident, I was hoping to see the SLC team up with the Greater Houston Sports Authority and get this game in the new Dyanamo Stadium in DT Houston next to Minutemaid. But the Dallas Suburb has some wlaking venues within 200 yards that would be very cool too.

ZEM from GeauCowboys.com lives in the area and passed along the following info that made me feel better about it.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/geauxcowboys/messages/?msg=10529.1

McTailGator
October 19th, 2009, 04:20 PM

Chatty's field is also set up perfect for soccor games. The field will be about as close to the stands for both venues. (give or take 10 or 20 feet.)

They have hosted HS football games there in the past, plenty of room between the stands and the stage in the north and south EZ's

McTailGator
October 19th, 2009, 04:21 PM
No, you're not, but I think I'm rather an average fan. I'm a season ticket holder. I go to away games when I can. I've been to Chatty once.

BTW, you didn't answer my question yesterday. Have you been to Chatty for the game?

He's a McNeese fan, so he's probably been about twice.

McTailGator
October 19th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I'm curious, how much did a charter run per person?

McNeese fans charter all the time.

Anywhere from $250 to $350 pp depending on the distance.

I had 3 planes reserved in 1995 when McNeese lost to Marshall in the Semi's.

Three 144 passenger 737's were about $34,000 each at the time, which was a hell of a deal.

Cost has probably gone up about 50% since then depending on the price of fuel at the time.

Lots of empty planes these days, and Southwest is based at Dallas's Love Field, and will probably be a MAJOR sponsor for this game.

GtFllsGriz
October 19th, 2009, 04:43 PM
But will the community support the game by buying tickets and attending the game? Or will it just be the competing teams fans in the seats?

McTailGator
October 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM
But will the community support the game by buying tickets and attending the game? Or will it just be the competing teams fans in the seats?

It's Texas, they will support it, with MONEY, and I have been to 2 games and never saw a single Chattanoogian at the game. Hell most people in that town was wondering why all the McNeese people were walking around their twon drinking all that beer.

I bet you have several hundered SLC fans at the game in Frisco, myself included.

Panther88
October 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Plano? About 20-30 minutes

No. Plano borders Frisco. lol There are quite a few HQ'ers near Pizza Hut park-Frisco and the upper northward Plano border. :)

Super nice area. Hope the SLC and Frisco secure it.

100%GRIZ
October 19th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Time for a change!!! Frisco has my vote!!!

UMass922
October 19th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Haha......have you ever seen our "stadium"?

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs279.snc1/10632_187758032500_125962027500_3905921_1908021_n. jpg

And even that picture is a bit flattering. Show the away side! xlolx

Panther88
October 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Not sure if all are aware or not but it's a straight shot down Hwy121 (E) from D/FW airport (all toll road :)) to Frisco and also if suarezing in from Love Field (Southwest Air HQ), the Tollway North (Dallas North) is also a straight shot there. :)

Totally accessible and there are indeed hotels in the area (now). They've really built that entire corridor up something awful.xthumbsupx

Hope it works out for Frisco and the SLC. I'd attend to support along w/ other PVAMUers, I'm sure.

onbison09
October 19th, 2009, 09:15 PM
No. Plano borders Frisco. lol There are quite a few HQ'ers near Pizza Hut park-Frisco and the upper northward Plano border. :)

Super nice area. Hope the SLC and Frisco secure it.

Yeah Plano boarders it and Dallas is about 30-45 minutes away. I REALLY want this to happen for pure selfish reasons but I also think this makes a lot of sense. They host Frisco ISD HS games there to so there shouldn't be a worry about the field.

bluehenbillk
October 19th, 2009, 09:40 PM
If I had a vote I'd vote for Frisco. Chatty isn't bad but there's nothing special about it that would merit a permanent home. Plus I've never been a fan about games giving an edge to teams due to proximity (ie the SoCon).

89Hen
October 20th, 2009, 08:35 AM
He's a McNeese fan, so he's probably been about twice.
Well, his silence twice tells me he's never been to Chatty for the NC game. I was against Chatty until I went, so people who have an opinion of Chatty without ever going holds little water IMO. xpeacex

93henfan
October 20th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I went to Chatty in 2003. The weather sucked, but the chili cookoff they had in the pavillion before the game made up for it.

I'm OK with Chatty if they retain it, but this Frisco venue and locale looks awesome. I've never had a reason to visit Dallas, but I'd love to have one. I'd love to check out the 6th Floor Museum and such. Maybe catch a Cowboys game in Chez Jones.

89Hen
October 20th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Maybe catch a Cowboys game in Chez Jones.
That would require the Cowboys making the playoffs. xwhistlex

93henfan
October 20th, 2009, 08:49 AM
That would require the Cowboys making the playoffs. xwhistlex

There are regular season games in January this season. In fact, the Boys host the Eagles on Sun, Jan 3.

chrisattsu
October 20th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Being a Texan with Family in Frisco, I support this idea.

I also like the idea of getting a SWAC band involved as well. For the last couple of seasons, I have looked forward to the Texas Southern game just so I can see the Ocean of Soul.

grizzpaw
October 20th, 2009, 11:00 AM
as long as we get texas bbq i vote for this one!

Panther88
October 20th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I forgot about one little bitty thing. I call it the "X" factor. xlolx

Frisco PD. Strict. Rigid. Very, very, very non-flexible and unforgiving. :) Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT drink/drive in that area or they will get you. I've seen it too many times since they've grown over the last 18yrs. xreadx

Good luck.

danefan
October 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM
And even that picture is a bit flattering. Show the away side! xlolx

You can see it here: xlolxxlolxxlolx

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs259.snc1/10632_187759247500_125962027500_3906062_7132143_n. jpg

89Hen
October 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM
You can see it here: xlolxxlolxxlolx
That almost looks like a road between the stands and the track. xsmiley_wix xwhistlex

onbison09
October 20th, 2009, 11:57 AM
as long as we get texas bbq i vote for this one!

PLENTY of that!! xthumbsupx

danefan
October 20th, 2009, 11:59 AM
That almost looks like a road between the stands and the track. xsmiley_wix xwhistlex

Not almost my friend....it IS a road! That's why I sit on the away side. xnodx There are so many things wrong with our bleachers I cannot even begin to count.

All changing soon though. At least according to the UA President. $5 million a year going into that field starting in the spring. Word is they are going to remove the useless track (not even regulation lenght) and then spin it so it goes north-south to block some of the wind.

93henfan
October 20th, 2009, 12:40 PM
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs259.snc1/10632_187759247500_125962027500_3906062_7132143_n. jpg

Holy Christ! That's horrific!! xlolx

You guys should anchor a helium-filled pig to that ginormous building in the back to make it look like the cover to Pink Floyd's Animals.

vettert49
October 20th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Sounds good to me, since I'll be moving to Witchita Falls, TX early next year. It'll be too late to watch the Griz win live but I'll be there for the reapeat!! GO GRIZ.

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 09:59 AM
BTW, this Frisco is sounding more and more like the best alternate out there right now to me. :)
I want to withdraw this comment. How is it that only today did I discover that the NCAA Mens Soccer Tourney was held at this same stadium last year and drew less than 7k to the semis and finals? I think some people were withholding information. xnonox xsmiley_wix

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 10:01 AM
Sounds good to me, since I'll be moving to Witchita Falls, TX early next year. It'll be too late to watch the Griz win live but I'll be there for the reapeat!! GO GRIZ.
And only 27 years too late to see the NC's that were actually in WF. :p

SumItUp
October 21st, 2009, 10:15 AM
I want to withdraw this comment. How is it that only today did I discover that the NCAA Mens Soccer Tourney was held at this same stadium last year and drew less than 7k to the semis and finals? I think some people were withholding information. xnonox xsmiley_wix

I definitely think it is something the committee should consider, but how much fan support do most schools have their soccer teams? We are talking about two different sports. In the US, football teams have much more fan, financial and media support than futbol. I think this is an apples and oranges comparison.

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 10:18 AM
As I posted on the other thread, the attendance figure for the soccer finals was right along with the average attendance for the soccer finals in this decade. They haven't drawn over 10,000 since the 90's.

I wouldn't expect a jump to a football hotbed (Texas) to increase attendance for a soccer match.

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 11:34 AM
Not to keep two threads going, but I feel it needs to be added to this one...

Does everyone realize that the I-AA NC game will be played on the first Sunday in January? That coincides with the final week of the NFL regular season. If the Cowboys are in the hunt for a playoff spot, how excited do you think the people of Frisco, Texas will be about the I-AA NC game between Furman and Northern Iowa? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 11:40 AM

Does everyone realize that the I-AA NC game will be played on the first Sunday in January? That coincides with the final week of the NFL regular season. If the Cowboys are in the hunt for a playoff spot, how excited do you think the people of Frisco, Texas will be about the I-AA NC game between Furman and Northern Iowa? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

About as excited as the people of Tennessee will be if the Titans are in the playoff hunt. Chatty's previous local support could diminish for a Sunday game in January as well.

I don't think that distinquishes Chatty from Frisco.

FCS NC game cannot compete with the NFL playoffs anywhere but Montana.

Panther88
October 21st, 2009, 11:40 AM

To go head-to-head w/ the final week of the NFL is not a smart move IMO. 99% of the football ppl in Tx prolly have never heard of Furman or Northern Iowa and most don't even know what "FCS" stands for, I'm sure. xlolx (seriously) Ask some locals where Romo hails from and not too many will say truthfully where he matriculated.

FBS is king here, along w/ the NFL. FCS isn't on the radar, from what I've researched lately. However lol, I've seen where an FCS game between Prairie View A&M and Grambling State have drawn 65,000+ in Dallas on several upon several occasions over the last 20 yrs (trend). Even in the rain last month, the game drew 42,000+ spectators.

Maybe SLC/Frisco marketing folx will get on their job and do something to promote FCS locally. xreadx

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 11:43 AM
99% of the football ppl in Tx prolly have never heard of Furman or Northern Iowa and most don't even know what "FCS" stands for, I'm sure. xlolx (seriously) Ask some locals where Romo hails from and not too many will say truthfully where he matriculated.

FBS is king here, along w/ the NFL. FCS isn't on the radar, from what I've researched lately. However lol, I've seen where an FCS game between Prairie View A&M and Grambling State have drawn 65,000+ in Dallas on several upon several occasions over the last 20 yrs (trend). Even in the rain last month, the game drew 42,000+ spectators.
That's the problem IMO. Even with Chatty being the home to I-AA football, it took a while to get the locals interested in the game. Moving to Frisco starts that process all over again.

As for PVAM and GSU.... apples and oranges. That game will always outdraw the I-AA NC game, no matter where it's played.

BDKJMU
October 21st, 2009, 11:47 AM

Soccer in TX drew that many people xeekx

BDKJMU
October 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM
To go head-to-head w/ the final week of the NFL is not a smart move IMO. 99% of the football ppl in Tx prolly have never heard of Furman or Northern Iowa and most don't even know what "FCS" stands for, I'm sure. xlolx (seriously) Ask some locals where Romo hails from and not too many will say truthfully where he matriculated.

Maybe SLC/Frisco marketing folx will get on their job and do something to promote FCS locally. xreadx

And HS football of course. 4 biggest HS sports in TX: spring football, summer camp football, regular season football, post season football...

Panther88
October 21st, 2009, 11:53 AM
And HS football of course. 4 biggest HS sports in TX: spring football, summer camp football, regular season football, post season football...

No argument from Panther88. Tis very true.

100%GRIZ
October 21st, 2009, 11:54 AM
About as excited as the people of Tennessee will be if the Titans are in the playoff hunt. Chatty's previous local support could diminish for a Sunday game in January as well.

I don't think that distinquishes Chatty from Frisco.

FCS NC game cannot compete with the NFL playoffs anywhere but Montana.

I'll take that as a compliment!!! I think!!!

MplsBison
October 21st, 2009, 01:30 PM
And North Dakota, South Dakota, Delaware and New Hampshire, where the flagship public school(s) are FCS.

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM
And North Dakota, South Dakota, Delaware and New Hampshire, where the flagship public school(s) are FCS.
xconfusedx The Tub is less than 1 hour from TWO NFL home stadiums.

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 01:49 PM

ND and SD possibly, but UD is a Redskins/Eagles territory and UNH is Patriots all the way.

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 01:50 PM
Soccer in TX drew that many people xeekx
FC Dallas is last in attendance in MLS but they still average 9,200. You sure you're impressed with 6,400 for the NCAA Mens National Championship?

onbison09
October 21st, 2009, 02:28 PM

I'm sorry xsmhx

henfan
October 21st, 2009, 03:17 PM
ND and SD possibly, but UD is a Redskins/Eagles territory and UNH is Patriots all the way.

You meant Ravens, right? Not a lot of 'Skins fans in northern Delaware, though their is a larger contingent at the beaches with all of the DC & NOVA transplants.

We have no less than 5 NFL teams (Eagles, Ravens, Jets, G-Men & Skins) within a 2-hour drive of Newark.

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 03:19 PM
You meant Ravens, right? Not a lot of 'Skins fans in northern Delaware, though their is a larger contingent at the beaches with all of the DC & NOVA transplants.

We have no less than 5 NFL teams (Eagles, Ravens, Jets, G-Men & Skins) within a 2-hour drive of Newark.

I forgot about the Ravens too. xthumbsupx

So yeah, the point is, most FCS schools will compete with NFL teams on Sundays.

slostang
October 21st, 2009, 04:41 PM
FC Dallas is last in attendance in MLS but they still average 9,200. You sure you're impressed with 6,400 for the NCAA Mens National Championship?

Cal Poly had over 11,000 for a soccer game against UC Santa Barbara last year.xthumbsupx

txstatebobcat
October 21st, 2009, 06:51 PM
This is for the people that talk about the local people not supporting the game. I think its irrelevant. As a major metropolitan area, the number of FCS alumni within an hour's drive of Frisco is probably well over a hundred thousand strong. Even if only a small percentage of these alumni make it to this game, it could be a good two to five thousand boost in attendance. Thats not even counting those of us who live more than an hour away.

chrisattsu
October 22nd, 2009, 10:31 AM

Are you really surprised that they did so poorly in attendance?
They were third from last in the Western Points Standings, and we had one of the hottest/driest summers on record in Texas.

It is not like summer in Seattle, New England, New York, or Toronto. As much as I love Texas, 5 months above 95 degrees sucks.

Call me fairweather if you like, but I would not want to sit at Pizza Hut Park or the Rangers Ballpark in July or August and bake in the 100+ degree heat only to see my team lose.

89Hen
October 22nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
Are you really surprised that they did so poorly in attendance?
They were third from last in the Western Points Standings, and we had one of the hottest/driest summers on record in Texas.

Call me fairweather if you like, but I would not want to sit at Pizza Hut Park or the Rangers Ballpark in July or August and bake in the 100+ degree heat only to see my team lose.
That actually makes my point even more valid. If FC Dallas is, and the heat was, that bad, the fact that they STILL draw 30% more that what was at the Soccer Cup speaks volumes about lack of interest by locals in having a college national championship in their town. xsmhx

State Line Liquors
October 22nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Using SOCCER attendance, MLS or otherwise, as a measuring stick for the success of our football championship is a stretch.

100%GRIZ
October 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
Using SOCCER attendance, MLS or otherwise, as a measuring stick for the success of our football championship is a stretch.

I agree - Why all this talk about soccer - it absolutely has no relevance to the game of football and in my opinion probably the most boring sport in the world to watch!!! It may be the most popular sport in the world but in my humble opinion very boring!!!

89Hen
October 22nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
That's your opinion, but I think I used it in a way that is very logical. xreadx

State Line Liquors
October 22nd, 2009, 12:17 PM
That's your opinion, but I think I used it in a way that is very logical. xreadx

That's your opinion. :p