PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Game of the Week: EWU @ Montana

Screamin_Eagle174
October 14th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Let's get it started! Should be one hell of a game, no matter who wins. Looking forward to another classic matchup in WA-Griz.

Bill Hanson
October 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Are you going? It is in Montana, right?

Screamin_Eagle174
October 14th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Are you going? It is in Montana, right?

Yep, I'm making the trip for the 3rd consecutive game there vs. EWU.

Poker Alan
October 14th, 2009, 05:41 PM
EWU plays us tougher than any other team @ Wash-Griz Stad., by far... should be another close, hard-fought game. Good luck to EWU, and head on down to the Iron Horse if you are in town on Friday night.

eagle1
October 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM
This game is always a physical hard fought game so I expect nothing different this year. The Eags are without a starting linebacker whom was suspended today by the Big Sky for a helmet to helmet hit on a receiver from Weber. Personally, I think a suspension is a bit much and I seriously don't think that the hit was with malicious intent but just trying to make a play on the ball. The Eags are going to needs someone else to step up in his place though. Go Eags!!!xthumbsupx

I Bleed Purple
October 14th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I'd much prefer EWU to win this game.

Bill Hanson
October 14th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I don't think EWU goes into Montana and wins. Just my thought on the whole deal. Now on Halloween, I think, Weber State sure has a shot at it!

Native
October 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM
May the best team win! I have no dog in this fight.

Of course I want my Wildcats to win the Conference Championship, but I also want the Big Sky to send the best possible two or maybe even three teams to the playoffs.

Good luck, God Bless, and I pray that there are no major injuries or fights.

griz&beer
October 14th, 2009, 10:18 PM

Of course I want my Wildcats to win the Conference Championship, but I also want the Big Sky to send the best possible two or maybe even three teams to the playoffs.

nice post that was first class.xthumbsupx

HLNgriz
October 15th, 2009, 10:24 PM

Always a tough played game down to the wire. I do not remember any fights except for the usual tempers. I hope the Griz can play without all the celebration plays. Man I get tired of players getting show time for making a tackle?

GrizzlyBill
October 15th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Always a tough played game down to the wire. I do not remember any fights except for the usual tempers. I hope the Griz can play without all the celebration plays. Man I get tired of players getting show time for making a tackle?

My sentiments exactly, but I must hasten to point out that not all of them showboat and celebrate. The best ones don't do it. Just watch Reynolds and Mariani for pure class and pure football, and same with a lot of the others

It's mostly on defense where you see it. Makes sense when you think about. Good D comes with a bit of attitude.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 16th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Leaving for the Zoo sometime tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait!

Silenoz
October 16th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Just hope our offense doesn't come out flat in the first half again. Mariani can only bail us out so many times

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 16th, 2009, 12:05 PM

I agree to some extent, but you also can't take the emotion out of it for the defense. I think you have to have a certain amount of it, you just can't go overboard and do it in front of the other team. I think they should get away from the play and celebrate a really good hit with their team. xtwocentsx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 16th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Just hope our offense doesn't come out flat in the first half again. Mariani can only bail us out so many times

If we can find more ways to get Mariani and Reynolds the ball with a little space, good things will happen, with a little space they are a handful. I also think they need more touches than they are getting.

putter
October 16th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Actually, I hope they get Overton, Palmer, Sambrano et al more touches. Having that many weapons to defend creates bigger problems and allows Mariani and Reynolds more quality opportunities to put up big numbers.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 16th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Actually, I hope they get Overton, Palmer, Sambrano et al more touches. Having that many weapons to defend creates bigger problems and allows Mariani and Reynolds more quality opportunities to put up big numbers.

I look at it in the reverse, until those guys do something with the ball, we need to get production and Mariani and Reynolds are producing. That should be opening those guys up but hasn't really come to fruition yet IMHO. xpeacex

Screamin_Eagle174
October 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM
One thing I'm hoping to see is some more bubble screens to Jones... if he gets a decent block or two and a little bit of space... he's gone for 6.

JALMOND
October 16th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I agree to some extent, but you also can't take the emotion out of it for the defense. I think you have to have a certain amount of it, you just can't go overboard and do it in front of the other team. I think they should get away from the play and celebrate a really good hit with their team. xtwocentsx

The refs will still flag it, even if it is away from the other team. In the PSU/WSU game both "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalties, one on the Vikings and one on the Wildcats, were bogus calls. Both times the teams were celebrating amongst themselves, no malice shown to the other team. The one on Weber was thrown by an official thirty yards from the end zone. He threw it longer than Higgins threw the ball.

No "I" in "TEAM" should include the officials as well. College football is played with emotion and the officials should not try to temper that. If it is blatant and obviously showing up the opposing team, that is one thing. But when the team is celebrating a great play by themselves, let it go.

EdubAlum
October 16th, 2009, 03:33 PM
E-A-S-T-E-R-N!

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 16th, 2009, 03:37 PM
E-A-S-T-E-R-N!

B-I-A-S :Dxsmiley_wix

I Bleed Purple
October 17th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Man, I was paying more attention to the updates on my phone than I was the last 8 minutes of the Weber game.

griz8791
October 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
E-A-S-T-E-R-N!

B-I-A-S :Dxsmiley_wix

I'd like to nominate this for post of the year.

HLNgriz
October 17th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Well we got the game we all thought it would be! Griz win in a nail biter. More show boat penalties on both sides. Not a well refed game, griz advantage. The biggest thing is the Boyce injury. I feel so bad because he is a stud! And Jones is awesome in open space but forget about it running inside the tackles. Glad we are past them but how did they get blow out by Weber? Oh ya turnovers.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Sounded like a crazy game, which is normal for these 2 teams in Wa-Griz. Smack me if you want, but I was helping putting care packages for our troops together and was not able to watch the game, I just checked the box score on ESPN as often as I could. I"ll take a W any day over any L. xnodx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 17th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I'd like to nominate this for post of the year.

Just don't point 89 to this thread xsmiley_wix

Poker Alan
October 18th, 2009, 10:22 AM
This was a hard fought game, T. Jones (RB at EWU) was definitely a speedster and the real deal, felt like the Griz were outplayed offensively quite a bit of this game, but we made the plays when it counted. On the 4th down with a minute left, all of us sitting in the North End Zone were also screaming for him to go for it, I told the guy next to me, "let our offensive line make a statement for the rest of the season right here" ...

Well done, Griz!

eagle1
October 18th, 2009, 04:51 PM
The Eagles dominated the game stat wise but the final score is the one that counts. Lots of questionable calls/non-calls yesterday for both teams. The Eags will be back and look to wreck the Bobcats title hopes this coming weekend. Best of luck to the Griz the rest of the season. The Eags just got to win out and leave it up to the NCAA about the playoffs.

srgrizizen
October 18th, 2009, 05:09 PM
The Eagles dominated the game stat wise but the final score is the one that counts. Lots of questionable calls/non-calls yesterday for both teams. The Eags will be back and look to wreck the Bobcats title hopes this coming weekend. Best of luck to the Griz the rest of the season. The Eags just got to win out and leave it up to the NCAA about the playoffs.

If UM and EWU could just keep playing each other for the rest of the season in might produce the most entertaining football in the country. Matt Nichols should be playing long after his college career, and thank god he won't plague the Griz any more. It's a shame about the Aaron Boyce injury. I'm sure the Eagles would have loved to have him for their final drive. Good luck from here on - you have a classy team.

xpeacex

GrizzlyBill
October 18th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Awesome game! The Eagles have a ton of talent. This game could have gone either way so many different times. Bad calls by the refs, dropped balls, bonehead plays, bad bounces, etc. Any one of those might have been enough to change the result. It was that close. Going for it on 4th down twice in the deciding drive kind of tells the story of this game.

Once again that slow start. How long can we keep that up? GEEZ!

Nichols is great. Jones is awesome--so fast and shifty. I hated to see what happened to Boyce. That guy should get an NFL look for sure. Sherritt is another stud who will be back next year. He and Chase had a great contest. Sherritt may have come away with the edge yesterday.

Real glad to come out with the W.

The Weber game is looming larger and larger.

putter
October 18th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Eastern showed what it could do when they don't turn the ball over. Great team talent and Jones is easlily the fastest guy I have seen in the Big Sky in years.

Silenoz
October 18th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Include return yards, and we had a slight edge

Ronbo
October 19th, 2009, 06:31 AM
My favorite "Hauckism" is "The only stat that counts is the final score."xlolxxlolxxnodxxnodx

eagle1
October 19th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Ronbo that is so true though. You guys just find ways to win. Never really anything flashy just good sound fundamental football. That is why the rest of us cannot figure out why there are so many Hauck haters out there. He is a good coach that finds a way to get it done week in and week out.