PDA

View Full Version : NCAA D-I FCS to Officially Use the College Sporting News GPI Again in 2009

CSN-info
October 12th, 2009, 08:42 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/89658_csnwhite50w.JPG http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/GPI.JPG

NCAA D-I FCS to Officially Use the College Sporting News GPI Again in 2009
College Sporting News

The NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee has extended an invitation to College Sporting News (CSN) to have their Gridiron Power Index (GPI) used as a tool for the selection of teams for the 2009 NCAA Division I Football Championship.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/10/12/ncaa-d-i-fcs-to-officially-use-the-colle-2009?blog=5)

WestCoastAggie
October 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Welp this isn't good for the MEAC.

GannonFan
October 12th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Eh - seeing how bad the polls (sans AGS) have been this year, this could just be another year where the GPI is outperformed by the vast majority of posters on this site. I'm not sure the GPI has ever out-predicted most of the posters on this site. xpeacex

WestCoastAggie
October 12th, 2009, 09:49 PM
It's official. the CAA will get 6 teams in.

GannonFan
October 12th, 2009, 09:52 PM
It's official. the CAA will get 6 teams in.

Nah - that's next year. 5 is the max. Could, though, be the 3rd year that the CAA gets 5 teams in - looking more and more likely every day!!! xthumbsupx

WestCoastAggie
October 12th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Nah - that's next year. 5 is the max. Could, though, be the 3rd year that the CAA gets 5 teams in - looking more and more likely every day!!! xthumbsupx
So JMU is going to drop the ball?

Native
October 12th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Welp this isn't good for the MEAC.

Winning tough games outside the conference would be good for the MEAC.

whoanellie
October 12th, 2009, 10:02 PM
i think the auto bid for conferences should be earned. if a conference does not show competitive ability in the play-offs. It should lose that priveledge.

CSN-info
October 12th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure the GPI has ever out-predicted most of the posters on this site.

The AGS Poll has out-performed the regular GPI once. The NCAA uses a modified GPI which does not include the AGS Poll. xsmhx

skinny_uncle
October 12th, 2009, 10:25 PM
i think the auto bid for conferences should be earned. if a conference does not show competitive ability in the play-offs. It should lose that priveledge.
Hogwash! An individual team can rise above the performance of the rest of their conference. Why penalize them? Let's not create a mini-BCS in the FCS.

93henfan
October 13th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Unless the committee allows a 7-4 CAA team in, I think this is a year with only four CAA teams making the field (UNH, UR, VU & CWM). I love my Hens, but finishing up 4-1 with JMU, @Navy and @Nova still to go would be pretty miraculous. I think JMU and UMass continue downward slides the rest of the season.

89Hen
October 13th, 2009, 08:24 AM
The AGS Poll has out-performed the regular GPI once.
That's one more than the GPI has. xrulesx

89Hen
October 13th, 2009, 08:25 AM
The NCAA uses a modified GPI which does not include the AGS Poll. xsmhx
Nobody ever claimed the NCAA was smart. xcoffeex

And if that's the case, I'd like to see the modified GPI. Can you please post it?

danefan
October 13th, 2009, 09:48 AM
As the article indicates, the Modified GPI is only used to evaluate teams for purposes of the bridge AQ qualification that was granted to the NEC and Big South.

No where (not even in this article) has the committee ever said they use the Modified GPI or the regular GPI for evaluation of at-large teams. They have said in previous interviews that the committee has its own ranking system that they use, but they have not detailed what that entails.

So long story short - the Modified GPI will have zero effect on the playoffs this year because no one from the Big South or NEC can qualify (no one will have the required 2 wins over AQ leagues).

smallcollegefbfan
October 13th, 2009, 09:49 AM

Remember though that most of those CAA teams ranked highly are going to be playing each other so 1-2 of the 7 in the top 20 are likely going to be knocked out of contention just by beating up on each other.