PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Upsets Ever

AppAlum96
October 12th, 2009, 06:40 PM
You can go here to vote on them. You can guess which one I picked.

http://www.the-top-tens.com/lists/biggest-sports-upsets.asp

UNI Pike
October 12th, 2009, 06:42 PM
AppAlum96 - I know that you are a HUGE Greek Soccer fan...

AppAlum96
October 12th, 2009, 06:42 PM
AppAlum96 - I know that you are a HUGE Greek Soccer fan...

Yeah, you know me. I only go to sporting events where I can buy a Gyro.

UNI Pike
October 12th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I thought you were a hummus guy (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1423404&postcount=4)

JohnStOnge
October 12th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I went ahead and voted for App beating Michigan but I really think the US beating the USSR in hockey was the one. I remember reading an article in which the author said it would be like the Candians getting an all star team of their high school football players together and beating the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers of the time.

Ronbo
October 12th, 2009, 07:14 PM
1980 USA Hockey team defeating the Russians. Was compared to a College football team defeating the Super Bowl Champs.

PhoenixSupreme
October 12th, 2009, 07:27 PM
As much as I wanna vote for the 1980 Miracle Match or the App-Michigan game (sadly). I'd have to go with the Pats over the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI. I could have easily went with the 18-1 Pats game, but this one would have to be the greatest upset game for me. When I was younger I remembered hearing how bad the spread would be for this game, and the Pats seemingly defied odds against an explosive Rams offense. Seeing a young (6th round pick) Tom Brady take the reins from the veteran Patriot (#1 overall pick) Drew Bledsoe and lead the Pats towards the beginnings of a dynasty was just something magical. And I will never forget the epic tension when Adam Vinitieri had to nail that game-winning field goal. I cannot account for matches that occurred before I was born, but I still know of the significance....I just simply went with something I remember fondly.

CamelCityAppFan
October 12th, 2009, 07:31 PM
While App-UM was awesome (and I was there and will never forget it), I'd have to say it doesn't rise to the level of 1980 USA hockey.

CrackerRiley
October 12th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I could never vote for a Super Bowl game. Both teams were there for a reason. Each played the same level of competition. I don't care what Vegas says the spread is; both teams have rosters full of professional athletes.

mlbowl
October 12th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I went ahead and voted for App beating Michigan but I really think the US beating the USSR in hockey was the one.

Ditto

soccerguy315
October 12th, 2009, 07:43 PM
gotta be 1980

bluehenbillk
October 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Anytime Towson has beat Delaware should qualify.

UNIFanSince1983
October 12th, 2009, 08:14 PM
It was probably the Miracle on Ice, but I voted for Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson. That was a huge upset. Just look at the way Tyson was beating everyone he fought. No one thought that was possible.

PhoenixSupreme
October 12th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I could never vote for a Super Bowl game. Both teams were there for a reason. Each played the same level of competition. I don't care what Vegas says the spread is; both teams have rosters full of professional athletes.

It's not the fact that they were in the Super Bowl, but the fact that it's the game that I had the fondest memories of watching.

appfan2008
October 12th, 2009, 09:03 PM
i am too much of a homer not to vote for app for everything!... but if i was honest it would probably be 1980

Mountaineer#96
October 12th, 2009, 09:08 PM
1980 Miracle on Ice for sure.................then ASU vs. UM............the Giants vs. Pats although a great game should not have even been in there. That is crap they are both from the NFL and were playoff caliber teams obviously.

Aho_Old_Guy
October 12th, 2009, 09:13 PM
None of the Above

Chaminade beating Virginia with Ralph Sampson in the early 1980s

CID1990
October 12th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I was thinking that The Citadel over Arkansas in 1992 wouldn't be on there, but then I saw some of the other weak candidates.

poly51
October 12th, 2009, 09:37 PM

This was not true for Super Bowl III. Jets over Colts. They each only played in their own league at that time.

Number 1 has to be the Miracle on Ice. 1980.

Number 2 is Jets over Colts in Super Bowl III.

Number 3 is the Miracle Mets of 1969.

Number 4 is Texas Western (UTEP) over Kentucky in Basketball.

Number 5 is Appalachian State over 5th ranked Michigan in Football

Number 6 is D-II Cal Poly over 1980 1-AA National Champion Boise State in 1980

DFW HOYA
October 12th, 2009, 10:03 PM
None of the Above

Chaminade beating Virginia with Ralph Sampson in the early 1980s

Agreed.

But maybe the one they really missed was in 1920, where the great horse Man O' War lost his only stakes race of his entire career. When the race began, Man O'War was still on the post parade and had not yet entered the gate. What was the name of the horse that ended up defeating the greatest horse of the 20th Century?

His name was "Upset".

skinny_uncle
October 12th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Tough call.
1980 "Do you believe in miracles?" was a lot of fun. It might be the only year I ever watched a hockey game.
The Giants over the Pats a couple of years ago is one I only watched because Brandon Jacobs (SIU) was involved.
The Villanova title was classic. Cinderella at the Big Dance.

It's too bad they left out SIU in 1967 being the only college division team to ever win the NIT. It is what led us to becoming D1.

Most lists like this are abritrary even if they do evoke some memories.

ThompsonThe
October 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Us beating a bunch of drugged up drunk Russians in the US is no big deal. Never saw it that way even then.
No super bowl game should even be on that list.
Appalachian over Michigan at the big house has to be number one. Hardly seen anyone supporting that one. But it has to be the biggest upset.

crusader11
October 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Holy Cross over BC baby!!!

GoAgs72
October 13th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I vote for UC Davis beating Stanford in 2005. At the time we had just begun the FCS transition and were really still a D2 school. Just as big or bigger was beating Stanford again in basketball in the same season. Stanford no longer plays us.

appmaj
October 13th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Agreed!

PhoenixSupreme
October 13th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Can I change mine to Little Mac beating Mike Tyson in Mike Tyson's Punchout for the NES?

89Hen
October 13th, 2009, 08:17 AM
This list is actually pretty weak. The Pats over the Rams? Seriously?

1. USA over Russia
2. Villanova over G'town
3. Buster Douglas over Tyson

Not mentioned that are all easily better than most on the list....

Mets over Orioles '69 WS
Jets over Colts SBIII
Chaminade over UVA - 1982

89Hen
October 13th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Us beating a bunch of drugged up drunk Russians in the US is no big deal. Never saw it that way even then.
No super bowl game should even be on that list.
Appalachian over Michigan at the big house has to be number one. Hardly seen anyone supporting that one. But it has to be the biggest upset.
Says the App fan. xcoffeex

UncleSam
October 13th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Not even close - the USA over Russia in the '80 Olympics.

JMUNJ08
October 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I vote for UC Davis beating Stanford in 2005. At the time we had just begun the FCS transition and were really still a D2 school. Just as big or bigger was beating Stanford again in basketball in the same season. Stanford no longer plays us.

While this probably doesn't make the top 10 all-time, the fact that they still have egg on their face proves that it was a big upset.xlolx

ElonPride
October 13th, 2009, 08:49 AM
My fav was always Douglas/Tyson. I just remember going to 5th grade class the next day and that's all the kids were talking about. Tyson had his own video game for the NES (still one of my fav. video games) and just seemed invincible!

Ivytalk
October 13th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Not even close - the USA over Russia in the '80 Olympics.

Agreed. As in this week's AGS Poll, the bottom half of the list is open to question!xcoolx