PDA

View Full Version : UNH @ UMass

UncleSam
October 12th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Upset special - UMass over UNH

UNH is coming off a huge home win vs Nova and is now traveling to UMass who is coming off a very disappointing road loss at Delaware. UMass needs this game much more than UNH, who may still be celebrating the Nova win. This is a prime spot for an upset, all the emotional factors, plus home field favor UMass. If UMass is as talented we all thought prior to the UD game, I look for the Minutemen to upset UNH in Amherst.

CFBfan
October 12th, 2009, 08:29 AM

UNH is coming off a huge home win vs Nova and is now traveling to UMass who is coming off a very disappointing road loss at Delaware. UMass needs this game much more than UNH, who may still be celebrating the Nova win. This is a prime spot for an upset, all the emotional factors, plus home field favor UMass. If UMass is as talented we all thought prior to the UD game, I look for the Minutemen to upset UNH in Amherst.

UNH rolls over UMass!
UNH maintains their momentum and bury's the Minutemen in their own house!

WrenFGun
October 12th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I'm not going to make a prediction this early in the week, but this will be a close, hotly contested game..

UMass is pissed off about UD, needs this one bad, homecoming, and got absolutely taken to the woodshed last season against UNH. If UNH plays their game they are the better team, but I think it will be close. Wouldn't expect a let down with McDonell at the helm, though.

Ivytalk
October 12th, 2009, 08:36 AM
UNH wins by 10+. I think that blowout loss to UD affected UM's confidence.

YoUDeeMan
October 12th, 2009, 09:06 AM

xnodx

I still think UMass is a good team and they will beat UNH. UMass was taken out of their game early...funny things happen in games when that happens.

nova stopped UNH's ground game...I expect UMass to do the same. If the UMass QB has a decent day, they should win.

WrenFGun
October 12th, 2009, 10:05 AM
xnodx

I still think UMass is a good team and they will beat UNH. UMass was taken out of their game early...funny things happen in games when that happens.

nova stopped UNH's ground game...I expect UMass to do the same. If the UMass QB has a decent day, they should win.

...not to take umbrage, but I think UNH is a better team than UD. If UMass plays as badly as they did last week they'll get destroyed.

GannonFan
October 12th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Remember - that game last week was UMass's first road game in FCS play and the first time on the road since the opening weekend against K-State. Plus they had a bye week before the UD game and they had the big news with 4 players getting busted for drugs. And then you throw in the fact that UD jumped on them early and Devlin is really starting to look like one of the best QB's at the FCS level.

With that said, UNH is a better team than UD right now, and while Amherst will give UMass a little more advantage I still see UNH winning this game. It probably won't be as easy as UD's win, but the W at the end is all that matters.

Wildcat80
October 12th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I expect UNH to get the win. It might be convincing too. They are just now starting to roll on offense and I do not think Sicko, Kackert et al are satisfied. Umass is arguably our biggest rival too. Short road trip to Amherst. Coach Mac keeps the Cats on a roll!!!xnodxxnodx

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I can't imagine UNH would not be up for this game. It's UMass. No slight to Maine but UMass is THE game.

That said UMass is playing for their lives. (And they can't be to thrilled reviewing last years film)

I expect a battle!

KAUMASS
October 12th, 2009, 01:15 PM
UNH is playing great football right now and arguably is the better team. UNH could probably get away with a win with a B+ effort, while UMass could not. UMass has to play their A game on both sides of the ball to have a chance to win this one. Pride is on the line, we just got embarrassed by UD and were embarrassed by UNH last year. Payback time (maybe). I can't talk smack about a higher ranked team!!

If UNH handles UMass convincingly & barring any serious injuries, UNH should make a deep playoff run. I don't see anyone stopping them.

EmeryZach
October 12th, 2009, 02:08 PM
UMass needs UNH to make a whole bunch of mistakes and also needs some luck if they have any chance at winning this one.

UMass is not the team that people thought they were and UNH is waaaayyyy better than anyone knows.

Should be a UNH blowout. I will be there to watch it, but if UNH is up by more than 21 at half I am heading straight to the bar.

UNH Fanboi
October 12th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Toman was limping pretty badly by the end of the Nova game, so who knows if he'll be able to play. Decker is an excellent backup, but that's something to keep in mind. UNH should win, but UMASS is certainly dangerous and will be looking to make a statement at homecoming.

If UNH loses, it will be because of a perfect storm of:
- dumb penalties
- poor special teams play
- sloppy turnovers

UNH has shown a tendency to do all three at some point in the season, and a hostile UMASS crowd could aggravate those tendencies.

Not saying that will happen, but anything can happen in the CAA and you can't get complacent.

Mattymc727
October 12th, 2009, 03:24 PM
After reading everyone's post I feel each fan is worried about their opponent, I am nervous about this one, never ever overlook UMASS especially after a big win, look what happened to the patriots in Denver, UNH cant make mistakes and must be able to put away UMASS if they get a chance, if Umass hangs around they could easily steal this one away from the wildcats

Mattymc727
October 12th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Also, as we saw for the wildcats last week, home field is huge in caa play

UNHFootballAlum
October 12th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Homefield advantage is a huge deal and the fact that this is a Homecoming game gives it extra importance. This game will be close and UNH will need to get off to a fast start again this week. UMASS will be so pumped up for this game. If Toman cannot run the read option because of his turf toe, it will hurt the running game quite a bit

YoUDeeMan
October 12th, 2009, 04:17 PM
UMass needs UNH to make a whole bunch of mistakes and also needs some luck if they have any chance at winning this one.

UMass is not the team that people thought they were and UNH is waaaayyyy better than anyone knows.

xconfusedx

Before anyone goes and annoints UNH the next National Champion, how about a dose of reality:

UNH opponents:

St. Francis of PA - 1-5
Ball State - 0-6
Dartmouth - 0-4
Towson - 2-3 (and a bad 2-3 at that)

Enjoy the undefeated record, but the only victory of any significance was nova...and it was at UNH. nova held UNH to 76 yards rushing...a paultry 1.9 average and had the lead in the 4th. So it was a win, but not a convincing one at home against a nova team with QB issues.

As UNH has discovered before, it is hard to win consistently against good teams with such a limited run production...especially as the weather turns cold. It looks as though the UNH defense is better this year...a nice change...but it is too early to tell if they are one of the top teams.

UNH Fanboi
October 12th, 2009, 04:44 PM
xconfusedx

Before anyone goes and annoints UNH the next National Champion, how about a dose of reality:

UNH opponents:

St. Francis of PA - 1-5
Ball State - 0-6
Dartmouth - 0-4

Enjoy the undefeated record, but the only victory of any significance was nova...and it was at UNH. nova held UNH to 76 yards rushing...a paultry 1.9 average and had the lead in the 4th. So it was a win, but not a convincing one at home against a nova team with QB issues.

As UNH has discovered before, it is hard to win consistently against good teams with such a limited run production...especially as the weather turns cold. It looks as though the UNH defense is better this year...a nice change...but it is too early to tell if they are one of the top teams.

Your points are valid, but I think they've showed they are one of the top teams. Every team in the top 10 has had mediocre games and/or an easy schedule so far. I think this year is shaping up to be very equal and unpredictable.

WrenFGun
October 12th, 2009, 04:50 PM
xconfusedx

UNH opponents:

St. Francis of PA - 1-5
Ball State - 0-6
Dartmouth - 0-4

Halfway through the season with an FBS win and a win over one of the best teams in FCS is plenty of time to say UNH is for real. The offense is the worst it has been in the last five years but this defense is one of the best in FCS. UNH has as good a resume as any at this point in the season, slighting perhaps Richmond (JMU, Duke, UD).

Gordon Shumway
October 12th, 2009, 05:36 PM
This game is the classic definition of a trap game. Coming off a big win against a wounded opponent at their homecoming. If UNH is really a team to go deep in the playoffs, then they will win this game, plain and simple. If they lose this game, they can still make the playoffs. However, they will not be the team we all hoped they were. Championship caliber teams will win this game at UMass. It is not that complicated.

UNHFootballAlum
October 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM
This game is the classic definition of a trap game. Coming off a big win against a wounded opponent at their homecoming. If UNH is really a team to go deep in the playoffs, then they will win this game, plain and simple. If they lose this game, they can still make the playoffs. However, they will not be the team we all hoped they were. Championship caliber teams will win this game at UMass. It is not that complicated.

I agree 100%

nhwildcat
October 12th, 2009, 06:00 PM
UNH has ALWAYS had trouble at UMass - or even UMass in Durham. Always.
From the 1976 and 1977 games in Durham with Cowell Stadium attendance reported at 20,000+ (if memory serves) and Bill Burnham unable to get in over the right side that was his bread and butter for years - to an overthrown pass to Matt Banbury (the joke was Banbury and Store 24 are always open) to having games slip away in the final minutes - UMass is always a problem for the Cats.

Lost - perhaps - in Saturday's win over Villanova (besides beating their smarmy coach) was the team on the right-hand side of the field (or with the wind) had the advantage and outscored the team on the other side of the field.

I desperately want to beat UMass and keep the winning streak going - but at UMass it's always dicey.

Toman was hobbling badly at the end of the game as another post notes and if Jellison, Kackert and Sicko (not to mention JT Wright helping out) keep their mojo going, I'm hopefuly for another UNH win. GO CATS GO!! xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

OxSoxUNH05
October 12th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I don't see UNH not being up for this game, the thing I do worry about is UNH taking dumb penalties which in the past they tend to do in Amherst.

Also while 'Nova did come to Durham and travel can hurt a team, I'm sorry to say but its not in the least bit a homefield advantage.

I see UNH taking another close win.

Wildcat80
October 12th, 2009, 06:46 PM
xconfusedx

UNH opponents:

St. Francis of PA - 1-5
Ball State - 0-6
Dartmouth - 0-4

WHAT??? Are you coo--coo??? Not a convincing win against the #2 team in the FCS??!! Only reason we did not keep the lead was due to the wind in the 3rd. Anyone at the game KNOWS the better team won Saturday. UNH should have won by 14 points. Enough already. But UNH needs to beat UMass regardless of your blabbering.

EmeryZach
October 12th, 2009, 08:38 PM
The stadium will be packed this weekend..................

..............for the first half.

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 12th, 2009, 08:40 PM

xthumbsupx

YoUDeeMan
October 12th, 2009, 08:56 PM
WHAT??? Are you coo--coo??? Not a convincing win against the #2 team in the FCS??!! Only reason we did not keep the lead was due to the wind in the 3rd. Anyone at the game KNOWS the better team won Saturday. UNH should have won by 14 points. Enough already. But UNH needs to beat UMass regardless of your blabbering.

You may think you beat the #2 team in the country, but nova has been overrated all season.

1) Temple win wasn't impressive other than the final score.
2) Lehigh's 1-4 record speak the truth.
3) Penn - PENN! - nova gets ONLY 187 TOTAL yards of offense...in Penn's first game of the season. You must be kidding. xoopsx
4) W&M - nova was far from the most talented team on that field. nova won on three plays. 1) Their 57 yard pass to open the game. 2) The W&M QB's brain fart toss into traffic, after W&M destroyed nova's D with a methodical march down the field, resulting in a miracle end zone INT. 3) The idiotic personal foul after nova's quick 3-and-out. Momentum switch, nova capitalized, and a quick 14-0 hole. nova got only 283 yards all game. 57 on the opening play...and another 80 on the next (penalty aided) drive. The rest of the day nova got a whopping 146 TOTAL yards. W&M torched them to the tune of over 450 yards but didn't make the plays to cash in. Play again and the Tribe wins.
5) Northeastern. 0-6...enough said.

Not impressive. xcoffeex

nova can't seem to find a QB who can get them moving against the better Ds. Teams that can't find a balance will lose come playoff time because teams will take away your strength.

Native
October 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Of course, there is a time lag in the power ratings, which may not adequately take into account the recent loss of four UMass players to drug charges and subsequent team turmoil, but this week's Sagarin predictor ratings give UMass a 5.34 point advantage at home against UNH. xeyebrowx

UNH Fanboi
October 12th, 2009, 11:23 PM
You may think you beat the #2 team in the country, but nova has been overrated all season.

1) Temple win wasn't impressive other than the final score.
2) Lehigh's 1-4 record speak the truth.
3) Penn - PENN! - nova gets ONLY 187 TOTAL yards of offense...in Penn's first game of the season. You must be kidding. xoopsx
4) W&M - nova was far from the most talented team on that field. nova won on three plays. 1) Their 57 yard pass to open the game. 2) The W&M QB's brain fart toss into traffic, after W&M destroyed nova's D with a methodical march down the field, resulting in a miracle end zone INT. 3) The idiotic personal foul after nova's quick 3-and-out. Momentum switch, nova capitalized, and a quick 14-0 hole. nova got only 283 yards all game. 57 on the opening play...and another 80 on the next (penalty aided) drive. The rest of the day nova got a whopping 146 TOTAL yards. W&M torched them to the tune of over 450 yards but didn't make the plays to cash in. Play again and the Tribe wins.
5) Northeastern. 0-6...enough said.

Not impressive. xcoffeex

nova can't seem to find a QB who can get them moving against the better Ds. Teams that can't find a balance will lose come playoff time because teams will take away your strength.

Before last week, who deserved to be ahead of Villanova? I'll give you UNI and Richmond (and maybe Montana, and that's a strecth), but that's it. So at most Villanova was overrated by two or three spots. So UNH "only" beat a #4 or #5 team. Guess who's the only other team this year to have win over top 5 team?

I said it before, but every team in the top 10 has had mediocre performances and/or no big wins. So if UNH and Nova are overrated, then everyone is overrated, which can't be true.

Jackman
October 13th, 2009, 12:32 AM
This ain't David vs. Goliath. The team that plays better on 10/17 will probably win. That needs to be us.

Old Cat Fan
October 13th, 2009, 12:47 AM
This is a must win game for the Cats,why? because the remainder of the schedule has very beatable opponents other than W&M on the road, if they win Sat they can drop that W&M game and still have a chance at a top 4 seed with home field advantage, drop this week to Mass and lose another, W&M or someone else pulling an upset, they will still make the playoffs but will be on the road again to some God forsaken hard to win place like the Unidome or Montana and we know the road will not be friendly xeekx so it sounds stupid but this being a huge rival game with rain already in the forecast is a must win in my book. Now for the Cats to win will come down to what a few others have mentioned TURNOVERS and PENALTIES the team that has the least of both will win this game. Coach Mac has to get this team more diciplined also the punter has to get the ball off quicker it seemed like Nova was on top of him every punt last week and hopefull Toman has more mobility

Sat, Oct 17 at Massachusetts 3:30 pm --
Sat, Oct 24 at Hofstra 3:00 pm --
Sat, Oct 31 Northeastern 12:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 7 Rhode Island 12:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 14 at William & Mary 1:30 pm --
Sat, Nov 21 Maine 12:00 pm --

GO BLUE HENS
October 13th, 2009, 06:52 AM
[QUOTE=KAUMASS;1432559]UNH is playing great football right now and arguably is the better team. UNH could probably get away with a win with a B+ effort, while UMass could not. UMass has to play their A game on both sides of the ball to have a chance to win this one. Pride is on the line, we just got embarrassed by UD and were embarrassed by UNH last year. Payback time (maybe). I can't talk smack about a higher ranked team!!

Why was it an embarrassment? We are the better team at least for this year. I can give you the benefit of the doubt, seeing as you did not attend the Richmond game I presume? xnonox

Old Cage
October 13th, 2009, 12:58 PM
EmoryZach = Please get back on your meds. Reading your negative comments week by week and year by year is very difficult. We don't need fans who make plans ahead to head for a bar at the half.

KAUMASS
October 13th, 2009, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=KAUMASS;1432559]UNH is playing great football right now and arguably is the better team. UNH could probably get away with a win with a B+ effort, while UMass could not. UMass has to play their A game on both sides of the ball to have a chance to win this one. Pride is on the line, we just got embarrassed by UD and were embarrassed by UNH last year. Payback time (maybe). I can't talk smack about a higher ranked team!!

Why was it an embarrassment? We are the better team at least for this year. I can give you the benefit of the doubt, seeing as you did not attend the Richmond game I presume? xnonox

Did I miss something here? I stated UNH is the better team and we just got dogged by UD last week. What does that have to do with the Richmond - UD game.? xconfusedx

santosballnewhampshire
October 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Game time is 3:30 correct? Will this mean we get to see the new lighting system at UMASS for the first time?

EmeryZach
October 13th, 2009, 05:02 PM
EmoryZach = Please get back on your meds. Reading your negative comments week by week and year by year is very difficult. We don't need fans who make plans ahead to head for a bar at the half.

I know, I know. (shhhhh....... you are ruining my reverse psychologyxsmiley_wix)

And I am not really going to go to the bar at half. Well, unless it's freezing cold and my girlfriend starts begging me to leave. But even then, I promise I will put up a fight! xthumbsupx

Jackman
October 13th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Game time is 3:30 correct? Will this mean we get to see the new lighting system at UMASS for the first time?

Yes, new lighting system (first time for UNH) and new video scoreboard (first time for the world).

bkrownd
October 13th, 2009, 06:02 PM
wait...the video scoreboard will actually have video now?

Jackman
October 13th, 2009, 06:24 PM
That's what was announced after the Stony Brook game. The entire scoreboard is being replaced, not just the video portion. The old scoreboard is being broken into pieces and auctioned off.

The fact that the old scoreboard is still standing 4 days before the UNH game has some people nervous though...

EmeryZach
October 13th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Could only take a couple days to put it up. It comes all put together.

umassfan
October 14th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Looks like all 4 suspended players will be back for the UNH game this week.

bkrownd
October 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM
"old scoreboard"? I always think of it as the "new scoreboard". :)

grizfan88
October 14th, 2009, 09:30 PM
How nice. Get arrested for possession of illegal narcotics and get suspended just one game.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM
How nice. Get arrested for possession of illegal narcotics and get suspended just one game.

Ya, is that right? You'd think they'd miss more then one game.

umassfan
October 14th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Ya, is that right? You'd think they'd miss more then one game.

Maybe the news reports are not 100% correct. Who knows what happened.

Jackman
October 14th, 2009, 10:47 PM
There is apparently enough doubt with respect to the incident that the university does not wish to suspend them any longer at this time. All four players have pleaded not guilty. If the players are found guilty, the university will take further action. According to someone who spoke with a member of the athletic department during a recent gathering, the phrase "don't believe everything you read" was used in connection with the charges. In the meantime, it's best to learn from the example of the Duke lacrosse team and not infringe on these kids rights until it's determined whether they've actually done something wrong.

WildCat In The Hat
October 15th, 2009, 06:59 AM
There is apparently enough doubt with respect to the incident that the university does not wish to suspend them any longer at this time. All four players have pleaded not guilty. If the players are found guilty, the university will take further action. According to someone who spoke with a member of the athletic department during a recent gathering, the phrase "don't believe everything you read" was used in connection with the charges. In the meantime, it's best to learn from the example of the Duke lacrosse team and not infringe on these kids rights until it's determined whether they've actually done something wrong.

If that's the case why suspend them at all? Becasue there's doubt, it's only a one game suspension?

EmeryZach
October 15th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I am suprised that they are playing, but UMass must know something that we don't because they have been known to be very strict on players who get in trouble.

I am assuming something must be a little off with this case or they would not have let them back on the team.

Plus I don't trust the Amherst cops. They are mostly 20 somethings who are on a power trip. I wouldn't put it past them to add a little extra that might not have happend.

WrenFGun
October 15th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Maybe they're afraid of going the Binghamton route...(sorry, couldn't resist getting a jab in at my most hated AEast brethren)..

grizfan88
October 15th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Let's not compare this to the Duke incident. In that case it was based on what someone said. In this case the police caught the four players in possession of the narcotics.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 15th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Maybe they're afraid of going the Binghamton route...(sorry, couldn't resist getting a jab in at my most hated AEast brethren)..

Zing!

UNHFootballAlum
October 15th, 2009, 11:02 AM
UMASS' policy is to suspend them for 10% of their season for drug and alcohol related matters. That would be 1 game. They may face further sanctions depending on how the case is resolved

EmeryZach
October 15th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Anyone hear any updates on the new scoreboard? Has the weather delayed the install?

SoCalAg
October 15th, 2009, 07:49 PM
UNH big...they're on a roll

Jackman
October 15th, 2009, 10:14 PM
The installation of the new scoreboard has officially been postponed to a later game. Sorry, UNH, we're saving it for our true rivals: Northeastern! xnodx

OxSoxUNH05
October 16th, 2009, 06:10 AM
You're breaking our hearts! But with the weather report I think I'll catch the game on CSN

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM
You're breaking our hearts! But with the weather report I think I'll catch the game on CSN

xeekx

EmeryZach
October 16th, 2009, 07:51 AM
That stinks about the scoreboard. I was hoping to get a chance to see it. Lucky for us we left the old one up and didn't take it down yet.

UNHWILDCATS05
October 16th, 2009, 08:55 AM

....seriously...because of a 30% chance... xsmhx

not impressed my friend

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 16th, 2009, 11:43 AM
UMass must be expecting a full house. (even with the no shows because of the weatherxnonono2x) Any word on that UMass fans?

UNH Fanboi
October 16th, 2009, 11:51 AM
This is a shot in the dark, but Comcast in NJ won't be showing the game. Any way to watch it online??

R3TRO
October 16th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I'll be there! Can't wait!

bkrownd
October 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
That stinks about the scoreboard. I was hoping to get a chance to see it. Lucky for us we left the old one up and didn't take it down yet.

It would be fun to have a guy on a ladder hanging numbers on a big pegboard like in the old days. :D

saint0917
October 16th, 2009, 01:41 PM
UMass must be expecting a full house. (even with the no shows because of the weatherxnonono2x) Any word on that UMass fans?

A full house?? Never. If it was going to be a 80 degree clear sunny day Umass would still only get about 13,000. Fan support for football games suck :(

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 16th, 2009, 02:11 PM
A full house?? Never. If it was going to be a 80 degree clear sunny day Umass would still only get about 13,000. Fan support for football games suck :(

I thought home comming might bring a crowd.

I think all the NE schools have the same problem in that departmentxsmhx

With the exception of a few crazy poeplexwhistlex

WrenFGun
October 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I will be there.

Looking forward to the marching band marching around me again.

Jackman
October 16th, 2009, 03:58 PM

Wow, where did that come from? We had 14,200 for the last UNH game (41 degrees, mostly cloudy), and 16,000+ a couple weeks ago for Stony Brook. With good weather this game would draw at least 15k.

bkrownd
October 16th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I thought home comming might bring a crowd.

Yeah, to Barselotti's or Delano's. xsmiley_wix

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 16th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Wow, where did that come from? We had 14,200 for the last UNH game (41 degrees, mostly cloudy), and 16,000+ a couple weeks ago for Stony Brook. With good weather this game would draw at least 15k.

Yeah, to Barselotti's or Delano's. xsmiley_wix

I will count and clear this up when I get home

OxSoxUNH05
October 16th, 2009, 08:21 PM
....seriously...because of a 30% chance... xsmhx

not impressed my friend

it was looking worse when i posted. And the inside scoop has me attending Hofstra and then NU and RI, so I'm not complaining that much.

UMass922
October 17th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Man, I wish I weren't halfway across the country for this one. :(

Have a good time, all of you who'll be there. xthumbsupx

UNH Fanboi
October 17th, 2009, 02:36 PM
According to the radio, the suspended players will not dress

UMass922
October 17th, 2009, 02:42 PM
If anyone watching the game on tv could post frequent updates, I'd be greatly appreciative. (I can't even access the audio on this old, slow, crappy, worthless computer of mine.)

OxSoxUNH05
October 17th, 2009, 02:46 PM
UMass started with a few first downs then punted to inside the unh 10. UNH driving now.

OxSoxUNH05
October 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Toman to Sicko in double coverage. TD

UNH Fanboi
October 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Sicko is da man!

OxSoxUNH05
October 17th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Bad Kick off coverage for UNH. Fortunately UMass is undisciplined

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Not sure why UNH keeps trying to run, but I hope they do it all day since we can't stop the pass.

7-3 UNH midway through 2nd quarter.

Husky Alum
October 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Is that Bob Norton doing color on the UMass-UNH game?

I heard the voice and said "I thought he only does hockey".

OxSoxUNH05
October 17th, 2009, 03:27 PM
TV guys are excruciating. UNH needs open up the passing game.

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 03:33 PM
If Miles is out, our pass coverage over the center of the field is completely screwed. I think we have two freshmen in at safety now.

UMass922
October 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Uh oh, that does not sound good. What happened to Miles?

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 03:40 PM
He took a knee to the head during a tackle. They took him into the locker room to check for a concussion.

Good news: TD UMass, we're up 10-7 with 1:17 left in the half.

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Halftime
UMass 10
UNH 7

UMass922
October 17th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I can certainly live wth a 10-7 halftime lead. How has Havens looked?

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Havens has been hit and miss as usual. He's looked better on the roll than in the pocket under pressure. He came out for one play with a gimpy foot, not sure if that's bothering him but the announcers are saying he's throwing off of his back foot a lot. Stats are 12 for 18 for 154 yards.

Another interesting stat:
UMass 21 carries for 40 yards rushing the ball.
UNH: 13 carries for 29 yards rushing the ball.

Nobody is getting anywhere on the ground, but both sides stubbornly keep trying.

WestCoastAggie
October 17th, 2009, 04:15 PM
This is one interesting game.

OxSoxUNH05
October 17th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Toman is not very accurate today.

UNH Fanboi
October 17th, 2009, 04:28 PM
****! Finally a well-balanced drive then an INT.

OxSoxUNH05
October 17th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Ya, kinda reminded me of the UNI screen pass interception. just turns and guns it to a defender

UNHFan
October 17th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Please coach get Toman out this game!!!

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 04:36 PM
10-10 now, 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 04:37 PM
UMass is going to need to score at least 2 more times. The light bulb has finally gone off over UNH's heads and they're starting to throw.

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Another pick. Havens hasn't been anywhere close on his last several throws.

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM
TD UNH. Refs screwed us on that drive.

OxSoxUNH05
October 17th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Just like they've been screwing you all dayxrolleyesx.
Gotta play disciplined football.

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 05:01 PM
You can't tackle the guy covering the receiver. If that's a legal play then you should run it all day, because it can't be stopped.

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 05:11 PM
FG UMass.
17-13 UNH with 7:15 left in the game.

OxSoxUNH05
October 17th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Toman is having a horrible day. Coach Mac sucks at calling plays @ UMass as well

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 05:17 PM
3 & out for UNH, UMass will get the ball back with about 6 minutes left.

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 05:21 PM
TD UMass! 40 yard run by Jo-Hern.

UMass 20-17
About 5:20 left.

rcny46
October 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Pathetic.That's the only word that comes to mind right now.They knew what they had to do,and they didn't do it.

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
UNH goes 3 & out. UMass ball with 3:44 left, leading 20-17.

OxSoxUNH05
October 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Very poor performance by the offense today.

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Another big Jo-Hern run. UMass down to the UNH 30.

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Wish the announcers would stop talking like we've got this won. Still 2 minutes left.

Mass-Cat09
October 17th, 2009, 05:34 PM
HUGE, clutch field goal...

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 05:34 PM
FG UMass. 23-17 with 1:26 left. Now it gets scary.

Mass-Cat09
October 17th, 2009, 05:35 PM
This announcer doesn't realize a lot can happen in 1:26

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 05:36 PM
UNH takes the kickoff to the 33.

UMass922
October 17th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Keep the updates coming . . . this is killing me not being able to watch or listen . . .

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 05:38 PM
4th & 9 comng up...

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 05:39 PM
1st down Sicko at UNH 46.

seattlespider
That was clutch.

Jackman
45 seconds left.

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 05:40 PM
UNH pass complete to UMass 38.

Mass-Cat09
UNH seems content with 10 yard passes

seattlespider
Wow. Roughing the passer.

Mass-Cat09
October 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM
1 play... look for Sicko here

Jackman
Refs call late hit on QB.

seattlespider
One play left. 3 seconds left. UNH at about the 14.

Jackman
3 seconds left.

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 05:42 PM
UMass calls timeout.
I hate this.

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Interception UMass!

seattlespider
October 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM
23-17 UMass final. Great game.

Mass-Cat09
October 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM
No one within 10 yards of the pass

Mattymc727
great game umass...knew they would be tough at home..unh has a lot of work to do on O if they want to make a run.....

Jackman
Anyone see who the guy was who hurried Toman? That was what won it.

LacesOut
Damn.

Football is just crazy.

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I don't know what happens to UNH in Amherst. We certainly weren't filled with confidence going into this.

rcny46
October 17th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Congrats,UMass.You deserved to win this one.Personally,I think your team has as much talent as anyone else in the CAA.I just wish we weren't so inept when we have the ball,and could find some consistency---and some sort of ground game.

GannonFan
October 17th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Wow - saw UMass being tough at home, but after seeing them firsthand last week I never thought they could actually win this. Now we get to see next week if it's just a home/away thing with UMass and if they just can't play on the road while they are really tough at home. Very interesting game and certainly, from a Delaware fan's perspective, is interesting for my team too. xthumbsupx

ISUMatt
October 17th, 2009, 05:47 PM
No one within 10 yards of the pass

Yea that wasn't close at all

UNHFan
October 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Please go with Decker next week!! Toman is horrible!! I haven't been a fan since day one. How can someone at this level through to ball so poorly. Thats not just a bad day!! He has been horrible all season. Thank god Sicko has great hands.

UMass922
October 17th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Nice win, though I'm still not expecting much against Richmond next week. The good thing is that we retain our margin for error; we can lose at UR, and still have a shot at the playoffs if we can run the table after that.

GannonFan
October 17th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Nice win, though I'm still not expecting much against Richmond next week. The good thing is that we retain our margin for error; we can lose at UR, and still have a shot at the playoffs if we can run the table after that.

Could be interesting, though - Richmond, nova, W&M you figure look good right now - UNH probably as well. UMass and UD could both finish 8-3 - possible to have an 8-3 CAA team miss the playoffs this year. Shame it's not a 20 team playoff this year - could have 6-7 CAA teams if that was the case!

rcny46
October 17th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Please go with Decker next week!! Toman is horrible!! I haven't been a fan since day one. How can someone at this level through to ball so poorly. Thats not just a bad day!! He has been horrible all season. Thank god Sicko has great hands.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the UNH faithful,I would have to agree with you 100% on your assessment of Toman's play so far.I really hate posting this,but I don't think he is getting it done.There doesn't seem to be any spark on offense,and he is inaccurate too often.I have no idea who the receiver on that final play was supposed to be.There seemed to be a lot of room in that end zone,and he should have been able to connect with a receiver.Period.

SoCalAg
October 17th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Congrat UMASS....very impressive win, I am quite surprised, and now Nova jumps right back over UNH....thank God for the playoff system

crusader11
October 17th, 2009, 06:50 PM

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the UNH faithful,I would have to agree with you 100% on your assessment of Toman's play so far.I really hate posting this,but I don't think he is getting it done.There doesn't seem to be any spark on offense,and he is inaccurate too often.I have no idea who the receiver on that final play was supposed to be.There seemed to be a lot of room in that end zone,and he should have been able to connect with a receiver.Period.

Yep.

mlbowl
October 17th, 2009, 06:53 PM
- could have 6-7 CAA teams if that was the case!

Why stop there!

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Congrats UMass. Way to bounce back!xthumbsupx

Sam Adams
October 17th, 2009, 09:33 PM
All of us Umies have to be happy with this win. 2 things seem apparent. UNH is not as great as advertised. Massachusetts is not as mediocre as advertised. UMass running game began to dominate as their big offensive line took over and really started to open up large holes in the UNH D. Tolman is no Ricky Santos and for that matter neither is Kyle Havens. Both QBs left much to be desired. It was a very fun and entertaining game played in classic fall football weather in Amherst. But if either team wants to play serious December football they both have alot of things to work on.

YoUDeeMan
October 17th, 2009, 10:42 PM
All of us Umies have to be happy with this win. 2 things seem apparent. UNH is not as great as advertised. Massachusetts is not as mediocre as advertised. UMass running game began to dominate as their big offensive line took over and really started to open up large holes in the UNH D. Tolman is no Ricky Santos and for that matter neither is Kyle Havens. Both QBs left much to be desired. It was a very fun and entertaining game played in classic fall football weather in Amherst. But if either team wants to play serious December football they both have alot of things to work on.

xnodx

Saw the replay of the game and it was a good one. UMass moved the ball. The announcer said the UNH defense only had one 3-and-out against UMass' offense...and that was in the 1st quarter.

ngineer
October 17th, 2009, 10:57 PM
The classic 'let down' after taking down mighty Villanova. Kids can get feeling too good about themselves after big wins, thinking everything after will be easier. Not the way it works.

"All Glory is Fleeting"xnodx

DTSpider
October 17th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Congrats to UMass. Can't wait to see them at UR next week. Should be a good game.

Hopefully we can sneak in some warm weather.

Jackman
October 17th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Wow - saw UMass being tough at home, but after seeing them firsthand last week I never thought they could actually win this. Now we get to see next week if it's just a home/away thing with UMass and if they just can't play on the road while they are really tough at home. Very interesting game and certainly, from a Delaware fan's perspective, is interesting for my team too. xthumbsupx

I think both UMass and Delaware may have a home/away thing going, which is why that game in Newark was so lousy.

rcny46
October 17th, 2009, 11:28 PM
xnodx

Saw the replay of the game and it was a good one. UMass moved the ball. The announcer said the UNH defense only had one 3-and-out against UMass' offense...and that was in the 1st quarter.

I didn't realize that,but it sure is an eye opener. xeekx

Minuteman87
October 18th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Perhaps the best UMass game I have seen in person. Can't complain about a game that came down to the last play.

Best effort by a UMass defense in 2 years, especially the run defense. UNH had 72 net yards rushing and averaged just 2.5 yards per carry. Jellison had 3 yards on 5 carries and Kackert had 36 yards on 16 carries.

Toman did not appear hurt to me. He had a few good runs. He and Havens both completed just over 50 percent of their passes. I still can't figure out who Toman was throwing to on the last play. I didn't see any white shirts in the vicinity. Kumar Davis, who grabbed that INT, is a redshirt freshman and considered one of the best young talents on the team. He was only playing because of suspensions and injuries.

EDIT: Just checked the replay and Toman was hurried on the throw, it looks like possibly LB Nick Haag who came barrelling up the middle, forced an early thtrow, then crushed Toman just as he released.

Also, don't forget Jon Hernandez is our BACKUP TB with Nelson still out. Not a bad effort by the second stringer (166 yards, 5.7 per carry). BTW, he won the Bill Knight trophy that goes to the MVP of the annual UMass-UNH matchup.

Let's see ... UMass hockey team beat No. 2 BU on Friday, then football beats No. 4 UNH on saturday. That's a pretty good homecoming weekend.

Best of luck to UNH the rest of the way. That's a talented team that will be fine.

KAUMASS
October 18th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Good solid win & effort for UMass. UMass D played the whole second half without Miles...probable concussion. UNH's second touchdown drive of the game in the 4th q. was questionable due to that blatent pick play they ran on a crucial 3rd and 12 which Toman completed to a wide open Kackert down the sidleline to keep the drive going. Ref was right there and missed it. Also, on that same drive, on the touchdown pass, Sicko got away with a blatent push off the d-back for the score.

Hopefully we get the same effort against Richmond next week.

EmeryZach
October 18th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Awesome game. UNH is still a strong team and could have won the game with a couple more breaks, but UMass looked great. The O-Line wasn't pass blocking too well but the run blocking was fantastic.

Can't say anything bad about the defense, they were on the top of their game.

Great tailgate, great game, great win!

Old Cage
October 18th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Got to mention Armando Cuko. He is quite a weapon. 14 field goals in five games, with a long of 51, after sitting out the opener. Three of three today.

An excellent Homecoming. Hockey beats #2 on Friday night. Football beats #4 on Saturday.

YoUDeeMan
October 18th, 2009, 09:16 AM
xnodxUNH's defense is better this year. That is impressive.

However, in the last two games, against their only real quality opponents to date, UNH has managed only 76 and 72 yards rushing. xeekx

W&M will beat UNH if the Wildcats can't improve their running game. So will any good playoff team. xnodx

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 18th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Congrats to Coach Morris and his band of talented, tough football players and coaches. A great, great win, ...in classic UMASS fashion. xthumbsupx

UNH will rebound and be just fine.

As predicted all, the CAA is now beating each other up after collectively beating up all non-conference opposition. It will be interesting to see how far all the CAA teams fall / rise in the polls since only they seem to be able to beat each other.....

For example, I am sure that 'Nova will place above the team that vanquished them (UNH) and UMass may even rise above Delaware (the team that destroyed the Minutemen).

caribbeanhen
October 18th, 2009, 10:11 AM
TD UMass! 40 yard run by Jo-Hern.

UMass 20-17
About 5:20 left.

saw that run, looked like he was shot out of a cannon, glad I didnt notice him in Newark

WrenFGun
October 18th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Congratulations UMass. Never gave up, played really impressive defense, and completed big plays when necessary. Hernandez two runs were just ridiculous. No chance to catch him either time.

As for UNH, I'm pretty lenient on demanding changes, but I've had enough of Toman and Kackert. Toman was behind a lot of receivers today and made some just atrocious decisions more than a few times. I don't think a person in the stands could tell you what he was doing on the final play.

Kackert gets off pretty easy here, though. I'm a little bit tired of his inability to make players miss and his incessant running out of bounds at the first sign of contact. The team was better with Jellison getting the majority of the snaps, and at this juncture, Decker deserves a shot. It's clear to me Toman is very much not the answer, and while I won't go as far as to say Decker is, he deserves a shot to show it.

Again, congrats to UMass. Unlike a few on the board, I expected a close, hotly contested game, and it was exactly that. Cuko was the absolute difference in this one. Great kicker.

umassfan
October 18th, 2009, 11:32 AM
saw that run, looked like he was shot out of a cannon, glad I didnt notice him in Newark

You can credit that to the early 20-0 score. Still not sure why after those 3 quick scores in the 1st, why our coach threw away the game plan and went all passing. UMass has 2 of the best RBs in the CAA... if we played our gameplan, your QB would have had a lot less time on the field to score points and our D would have been better rested. Maybe we will meet again in the playoffs and there will be a different outcome. :D

GannonFan
October 18th, 2009, 02:00 PM
You can credit that to the early 20-0 score. Still not sure why after those 3 quick scores in the 1st, why our coach threw away the game plan and went all passing. UMass has 2 of the best RBs in the CAA... if we played our gameplan, your QB would have had a lot less time on the field to score points and our D would have been better rested. Maybe we will meet again in the playoffs and there will be a different outcome. :D

With that game likely to be in Newark, I wouldn't object to it. We're actually better versus the run than the pass anyway. xthumbsupx

EmeryZach
October 18th, 2009, 04:37 PM
With that game likely to be in Newark, I wouldn't object to it. We're actually better versus the run than the pass anyway. xthumbsupx

The NCAA reversed its decision about no playoffs in Del?

UNH Fanboi
October 18th, 2009, 04:55 PM
So what's the deal with Toman? He's completion percentage is 55% and he's thrown 6 TDs and 6 INTs. Poor protection? Receivers not getting enough separation? Or is he just not the same QB as last year?

KAUMASS
October 18th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Some natives getting restless in Durham after reading some of these posts...Come on, you guys are 5-1 and will probably end up 9-2, 8-3 worst case scenario. One super tough game with W&M looming, all the other games you should win. Hofstra and Maine will be the only other teams that should give you a game and possibley pull an upset. (not likely though) Watch out for URI if it is a bad weather day..They play well in torrential rain and wind gusts of 45 mph.

crusader11
October 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM
So what's the deal with Toman? He's completion percentage is 55% and he's thrown 6 TDs and 6 INTs. Poor protection? Receivers not getting enough separation? Or is he just not the same QB as last year?

Ever since the SIU game last year he's played relatively poor. The numbers speak volumes of his poor play. Decker played very well, albeit against Dartmouth and Towson, and I am surprised he has not received a better look.

I know many of the UNH guys have disagreed with me on this point many times before, but I think it is hard to argue otherwise that Toman still deserves the job.

UNH72Plus
October 18th, 2009, 07:46 PM
This was a team loss. Toman wasn't getting any time from the offensive line, but that doesn't excuse the many bad passes. Especially the 2 interceptions. The defense let down at the end on the 2 crucial long runs by Henderson. The defensive backs gave up way too many easy receptions. Finally, the coaching staff called a terrible game! How many times do you have to see your running backs stonewalled at the line of scrimage before you realize it isn't working. The offense was working pretty well with the spread formation and the run & gun passing. I agree that Decker should be given a shot.

The one bright spot all day was Sicko. Is there any doubt that he's All-American caliber.

rcny46
October 18th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I'd like to see Chris Setian get a shot ar RB.I'm not sure if he's been redshirted or not,but he looked good in the final pre-season scrimmage,and the coaches were impressed with him.Also,I didn't notice Joey Orlando or Dontra Peters yesterday.It's odd that certain guys seem to get playing time one week,and they're nowhere to be seen the next.

WrenFGun
October 18th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Having had the pleasure of sitting in front of what seemed to be the entire Sicko family at the game, I was happy to see him do well.

Toman's got all the skills to be a great QB, but you can't succeed in our offense without quality decision making and good accuracy, and he's got neither. If Santos and Toman were in a skills competition, I have no doubt Toman would win...and I'd take Santos as the UNH QB any day of the week.

I'm not sure Decker's better, but Crusader's right...we need to find out.

smcwildcat
October 18th, 2009, 10:07 PM
other rbs are peters and sweeney peters is a fesh. still learning toman is our man hands down I didnt expect unh to go undefeated anyway we can only gain from this loss.
no big play wr has hurt us this year previously we had ball or boyle we shouldn't worry too much about the D at this point this next games will get us back to reality and back in check we will be ok.

UNHFootballAlum
October 19th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Congratulations UMass. Never gave up, played really impressive defense, and completed big plays when necessary. Hernandez two runs were just ridiculous. No chance to catch him either time.

As for UNH, I'm pretty lenient on demanding changes, but I've had enough of Toman and Kackert. Toman was behind a lot of receivers today and made some just atrocious decisions more than a few times. I don't think a person in the stands could tell you what he was doing on the final play.

Kackert gets off pretty easy here, though. I'm a little bit tired of his inability to make players miss and his incessant running out of bounds at the first sign of contact. The team was better with Jellison getting the majority of the snaps, and at this juncture, Decker deserves a shot. It's clear to me Toman is very much not the answer, and while I won't go as far as to say Decker is, he deserves a shot to show it.

Again, congrats to UMass. Unlike a few on the board, I expected a close, hotly contested game, and it was exactly that. Cuko was the absolute difference in this one. Great kicker.

A part of what makes RJ good is his mobility on running and passing plays. With him being hurt, he has almost no mobility, especially in the pocket. He needs to get his ankle healed quickly as it is hampering the UNH running game

WrenFGun
October 19th, 2009, 08:00 AM
...I tend to think Kackert's inability to make anyone miss, and his penchant to run out of bounds, is also hurting the UNH running game. Like I said, let's see what Decker and Jellison can do, that's all..

saint0917
October 19th, 2009, 09:35 AM

Here's my take on it. The stadium only holds 17,000 people, there has to be 22,000 plus students on campus, granted not all Umass students go the games but if half did thats 10,000+ right there. All High School games are played on Friday so you also have the surrounding community available to come watch Umass play. Also the visiting team will bring 1000-2000 fans (I'm guessing) so that leaves about 15,000 seats for Umass fans. And you numbers are very misleading, the only reason we had 14,200 at the UNH game is because it was Home Coming, and the only reason Umass had 16,000 + at the Stoney Brook game is because it was band day, you take those two factors out and there would have been only about 11,000-13,000 at those games, pretty sad if you ask me. xtwocentsx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 19th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I don't know how visible this was on TV, but it sure was from the stands at McGuirk. Toman was pulling himself off the turf far too many times after throws. He got absolutely rocked way too often. Somehow that had to be a factor on accuracy and decisions. xtwocentsx FWIW, I did read a quote about how the final pass of the game was airmailed over JT Wright because it was thrown under duress. I can attest to how slowly he got up after that final hit.

Another FWIW, I can't recall how many times during the game I muttered "how did this team get blown out by Delaware?". It didn't look like a team that would get blown out by anybody. Only time will tell if it was a Homecoming, get pumped to beat your neighboring rival or the real deal. If it turns out to be an aberration, then the UMass faithful have reason to be upset because that was a playoff quality team I saw in Maroon on Saturday.

UncleSam
October 19th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Another FWIW, I can't recall how many times during the game I muttered "how did this team get blown out by Delaware?".

Delaware is on a roll, they led their last two opponents (UMass/Towson) by a combined score of 86-6 after the third quarter of each of those games.

UNHFootballAlum
October 19th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I don't know how visible this was on TV, but it sure was from the stands at McGuirk. Toman was pulling himself off the turf far too many times after throws. He got absolutely rocked way too often. Somehow that had to be a factor on accuracy and decisions. xtwocentsx FWIW, I did read a quote about how the final pass of the game was airmailed over JT Wright because it was thrown under duress. I can attest to how slowly he got up after that final hit.

Another FWIW, I can't recall how many times during the game I muttered "how did this team get blown out by Delaware?". It didn't look like a team that would get blown out by anybody. Only time will tell if it was a Homecoming, get pumped to beat your neighboring rival or the real deal. If it turns out to be an aberration, then the UMass faithful have reason to be upset because that was a playoff quality team I saw in Maroon on Saturday.

I think that Toman is usually very good at escaping the rush, especially if it is up the middle, but I believe that his injured ankle (yes, he was limping noticeably) did not allow him to buy time, which is often when he makes a big play running or throwing. I do give credit to UMASS which played very well on the defensive side of the ball

WrenFGun
October 19th, 2009, 11:50 AM

Certainly didn't help that we had an atrocious running game and UMass could sell out for the pass. I was pretty unimpressed with the UMass' offense in general (equally unimpressed with the UNH offense). Both defenses were good, but UMass kept the big plays from happening in the second half.

I think the drive at the end of the first half after the UNH defense was dominant was a pretty big one for UMass. Didn't think that was going to result in much.

UNH needs to move on from Glasgow at punter, too. What did he average, 30 yards per punt? You have to give someone else a shot there.

UNH Fanboi
October 19th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Some natives getting restless in Durham after reading some of these posts...Come on, you guys are 5-1 and will probably end up 9-2, 8-3 worst case scenario. One super tough game with W&M looming, all the other games you should win. Hofstra and Maine will be the only other teams that should give you a game and possibley pull an upset. (not likely though) Watch out for URI if it is a bad weather day..They play well in torrential rain and wind gusts of 45 mph.

8 years ago I would be perfectly happy where we are right now. But after being in the playoff the past 5 years and losing in the quarterfinals 4 of those years, my aspirations are a little higher than just making the playoffs. A 9-2 or 8-3 record would be fine with me if I felt the team was playing great but just losing tough games. However, the offense just hasn't been consistently clicking yet this year and the defense can't carry the team every game. Maybe we've been spoiled the past 5 years, but I want to see a team that I feel can beat any team in the country on AGS, which is what I felt many times during the Santos-Ball era.

UNHWILDCATS05
October 19th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Jeez... UNH football fans starting to sound a lot like UNH hockey fans... which isn't a good thing...

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2009, 02:39 PM
All the UNH fans dumping on Kackart for the run game and Tolman for the offence in general seem to have forgotten what was universally thought of as our biggest question mark of the team this season...youth up front.

mmmmmm, do you suppose that would have anything at all to do with the inconsistent play?xrolleyesx

WestCoastAggie
October 19th, 2009, 02:40 PM
If UMass loses this game, their playoff chances will be in trouble!

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2009, 02:42 PM
If UMass loses this game, their playoff chances will be in trouble!

I have a feeling they'll play well, it's their homecoming ya' know.

UNHWILDCATS05
October 19th, 2009, 03:20 PM
All the UNH fans dumping on Kackart for the run game and Tolman for the offence in general seem to have forgotten what was universally thought of as our biggest question mark of the team this season...youth up front.

mmmmmm, do you suppose that would have anything at all to do with the inconsistent play?xrolleyesx

Bingo...a little perspective would be nice... tough loss yes, but as someone else mentioned somewhere, better now than later. We are still 5-1 and the destiny of this team rests solely in their own hands. Take care of business and make the playoffs with still a good possibility of a seed...Hofstra game is HUGE and will likely determine how the rest of this season goes...xnodx

WSBE
October 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Bingo...a little perspective would be nice... tough loss yes, but as someone else mentioned somewhere, better now than later. We are still 5-1 and the destiny of this team rests solely in their own hands. Take care of business and make the playoffs with still a good possibility of a seed...Hofstra game is HUGE and will likely determine how the rest of this season goes...xnodx

I have thought about this & I agree but not 100%....reason is watching the games closely, the OLine has been good, not great, but good. The defensive penetration is not so bad that plays can't develop. Certainly I don't think this OLine has been outclassed & they passblock well enough to move the ball. I thought quick drops, quick reads, quick routes have helped. I think the killer has been Toman's inaccuracy & inability to move due to injury. We've faced some big teams up the middle & we have relatively small running backs...so it's no surprise the yrds per carry is so bad. But I do like that they haven't abandoned the run...maybe they find some different ways to go North while still opening some lanes...draws, screens, traps

WrenFGun
October 19th, 2009, 06:19 PM

I think blaming the entire offensive line for inconsistent play is a bit far-fetched, though they're certainly not without blame, either. I saw plays where Toman had time and could not make an accurate throw. You can't fault the offensive line there. Kackert may not have space, but he could attempt to turn it up field a bit instead of taking the easy route out of bounds. How many times have you seen a shotgun handoff where he takes it runs directly in a straight line out of bounds? I have no doubt we're having a problem running the ball on the interior but I would think we could be a bit more creative. The coaches have abandoned quite a few things that have worked for us in the past.

You would think I was talking about a 1-5 time team, but this team has a chance to be elite if the offense can figure it out.

UNHFootballAlum
October 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I think blaming the entire offensive line for inconsistent play is a bit far-fetched, though they're certainly not without blame, either. I saw plays where Toman had time and could not make an accurate throw. You can't fault the offensive line there. Kackert may not have space, but he could attempt to turn it up field a bit instead of taking the easy route out of bounds. How many times have you seen a shotgun handoff where he takes it runs directly in a straight line out of bounds? I have no doubt we're having a problem running the ball on the interior but I would think we could be a bit more creative. The coaches have abandoned quite a few things that have worked for us in the past.

You would think I was talking about a 1-5 time team, but this team has a chance to be elite if the offense can figure it out.

We are being critical of this team because we know that they have a chance to be a special team. if they begin to run the ball again, it will make life easier for Toman, receivers, and the Defense. We have stopped stretching defenses the way we have in the past. Have haven't run very many screen passes, bubble screens, draw plays, or stretch plays. Lets put the defenses on their heels because they do not know how we will attack them.

caribbeanhen
October 19th, 2009, 06:42 PM

our coaches threw away the game plan early down in the loss to WM as well, but as GF has pointed out, our run D is pretty good, a rematch would be great this year because it would be a playoff gamexnodx

UNH72Plus
October 19th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I agree that the offense lacks creativity. What ever happened to the little shovel passes and the quick slant ins?

Also, Toman may be more injured than he's letting on, but injury had no part in either of the two interceptions. His pass efficiency rating in <85!!, he's nowhere near the top 50 FCS QB's, and he's been dropped from Payotn Award watch. He seems to fade in the second half, particularly in big games.

Hofstra at home really scares me, and I still remember that Northeastern game a couple of years ago where we let them hang around until the end of the game, only to lose in OT.

UNHFootballAlum
October 19th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I agree that the offense lacks creativity. What ever happened to the little shovel passes and the quick slant ins?

Also, Toman may be more injured than he's letting on, but injury had no part in either of the two interceptions. His pass efficiency rating in <85!!, he's nowhere near the top 50 FCS QB's, and he's been dropped from Payotn Award watch. He seems to fade in the second half, particularly in big games.

Hofstra at home really scares me, and I still remember that Northeastern game a couple of years ago where we let them hang around until the end of the game, only to lose in OT.

An ankle and turf toe would have a lot to do with accuracy. You need to stability from your ankles and you need to be able to push off with your big toe. I am not excusing his INT's, but his injury has played a part

Jackman
October 19th, 2009, 07:31 PM
8 years ago I would be perfectly happy where we are right now. But after being in the playoff the past 5 years and losing in the quarterfinals 4 of those years, my aspirations are a little higher than just making the playoffs. A 9-2 or 8-3 record would be fine with me if I felt the team was playing great but just losing tough games. However, the offense just hasn't been consistently clicking yet this year and the defense can't carry the team every game. Maybe we've been spoiled the past 5 years, but I want to see a team that I feel can beat any team in the country on AGS, which is what I felt many times during the Santos-Ball era.

I think the real issue is that UNH *must* get a Top 4 seed to get a home game in the playoffs. If they're the 5th best team in FCS, they'll be sent on the road. So this loss hurt them. They need to win all of their remaining games just to be in contention for a seed.

WSBE
October 19th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I think the real issue is that UNH *must* get a Top 4 seed to get a home game in the playoffs. If they're the 5th best team in FCS, they'll be sent on the road. So this loss hurt them. They need to win all of their remaining games just to be in contention for a seed.

Jackman...exactly....having watched UNH lose in the last minutes at UNI "two" many times..& the thought of playing Montana or Richmond or UNI on the road.....this was exactly my concern this week against UMASS...its the difference between goodness & greatness. UNH wins this game, they are #3 with a winnable path the rest of the way.....whcih would almost certainly lock up 2 home playoff games in Durham....an edge they will need (& as fans what you hope for). Now, they will be lucky to play at home. If I'm not mistaken, they were ranked #5 & still had to play on the road at SIU. So when you hear UNH fanatics complain over a loss like this, & pick apart the 22 incompletions, etc etc - it's because we have raised the bar, were hungry for a championship, we finally have a good defense, & we have experienced too many heartbreaks. A reminder of a few:

December 6th, 2008: Football NCAA playoffs (2nd round): Northern Iowa defeats UNH 36-34
• Headline: “Once again, tough to take”
• After beating Southern Illinois on the road, UNH loses to UNI 36-34…..RJ Toman throws cross-field screen pass that is returned for a TD
• For the second season in a row and third time in four years, UNH's football season screeched to a halt at the hands of the University of Northern Iowa
• Three season-ending games to the same team by a total of eight points.

November 24th, 2007: Football NCAA playoffs: Northern Iowa defeats UNH 38-35
• Headline: “So close. So tantalizingly close”
• #1 ranked Northern Iowa knocked off the Wildcats 38-35 with a touchdown with just seven seconds remaining in front of 16,015 at the UNI-Dome after Ricky Santos engineered a drive with 1.5 minutes left
• Ricky Santos final game
• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e5o75sY-WE&feature=related

December 2nd, 2006: Football NCAA playoffs (2nd round): #1 UMASS defeats UNH 24-17 on the 6 yard line
• Headline: “Six yards may as well have been a mile”
• AMHERST, Mass. -- The Wildcats of the University of New Hampshire were six yards away from the touchdown they needed to tie the game. They were six yards away from keeping alive the dream of getting one game closer to being national champions. Six yards. Jason Hatchell batted down a fourth-and-one pass by UNH's Ricky Santos, to ensure the victory of the for the Minutemen, 24-17

December 3rd, 2005: Football NCAA playoffs: Northern Iowa defeats UNH 24-21
• Headline: “Result: Same. Pain: Worse.”
• 2nd round of NCAA tourney with homefield advantage, the Wildcats fell to Northern Iowa, 24-21, in front of a chilled Cowell Stadium crowd. And just like that, the Great Expectations season of 2005 crashed
• After multiple turnovers & 21-0 deficit, UNH rallied with 3 Santos to Ball TDs…only to lose the game to a late UNI field goal. UNH made it to the 14 yard line with time running out when David Ball was pushed out of bounds

December 4th 2004: Football NCAA playoffs (2nd round): Montana defeats UNH 42-17
• UNH crushed on national television after shocking Georgia Southern in the first round on ESPN

UNHFan99
October 19th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Agreed

UNH Fanboi
October 19th, 2009, 10:04 PM
A reminder of a few:

I think most most here don't need a reminder...