PDA

View Full Version : "New style" punting formations

MplsBison
October 11th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I hate this bulls*** that I'm seeing for punting formations.

UNI and NDSU both got a punt blocked doing these cute little "oh lets spread the field out in special teams too!" punt formations.

No wonder why NFL teams have dismissed this ridiculous garbage and use standard punt formation.

Saw there was another important punt blocked in a BCS game as well due to this stupid formation.

Anyone else with me here?

BigSouthFB
October 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I hate this bulls*** that I'm seeing for punting formations.

UNI and NDSU both got a punt blocked doing these cute little "oh lets spread the field out in special teams too!" punt formations.

No wonder why NFL teams have dismissed this ridiculous garbage and use standard punt formation.

Saw there was another important punt blocked in a BCS game as well due to this stupid formation.

Anyone else with me here?

I hate the "swinging gate formation". Its spread with three "personal protectors" that essentially make a wall in front of the punter. if a blocker from the gunners comes in from the side will blow the wall up. its a retarded formation.

MplsBison
October 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I hate the "swinging gate formation". Its spread with three "personal protectors" that essentially make a wall in front of the punter. if a blocker from the gunners comes in from the side will blow the wall up. its a retarded formation.

Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about. Saw it twice blocked yesterday, which it was designed to defeat. It's just a load of crap and should be abolished.

Coaches have already figured it out and it's more of a liability than anything else.

Even worse than that is an off-shoot of rugby style punting where you have the swinging gate BS compounded with the punter running to a side...like he might go for it...then botting a stupid little rugby punt 20 yards.

UGH.

Football has already been figured out. Stop trying to make s*** up.

Just do well at the traditional formations that work.