PDA

View Full Version : Big South Week 7 Thread

ToTheLeft
October 11th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Power Rankings:

1. Liberty (I don't need to explain)
2. Coastal (Took care of VMI, and while it might not have been a huge win, they did win...)
3. Gardner-Webb (Terrible loss to Buffalo, the Dawgs need to get ready for the Big South now...)
4. Stony Brook (Played UND kinda close... still not sure what to think of this team)
5. VMI (Defense looks alright, offense is looking worse, against Coastal at least... this team is still dangerous...)
6. Chuck (Yeah, they're bad.)
7. Bye Week
8. UNC-Asheville (If they fielded a team and put them out on the field against Presby they'd win.)
9. Presby (Really, really bad.)

Week 7 Picks:

Coastal @ Liberty
Charleston Southern @ Gardner-Webb
Stony Brook @ VMI

ToTheLeft
October 11th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Liberty by 17
G-W by 24
SBU by a field goal.

kdinva
October 11th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Liberty 31; CCU 14
VMI 21; Stony Brook 16
Gard-Webb 35, CSU 12

Seawolf97
October 11th, 2009, 03:32 PM
We held the triple option in place last year-should do it again next week.

SDFS
October 11th, 2009, 03:46 PM
We held the triple option in place last year-should do it again next week.

Seawolf:

I watched the Stony Broke vs. UND game this week. I was not familiar with any of teams in the Big South conference. But, I was impressed with the line play on both sides of the ball. The turnovers and penalties (12 men on the field when UND was punting the ball) cost you guys the game. You take care of the ball and eliminate the dumb penalties. You are going to win a lot of games. - thanks to your program for coming out to Grand Forks. I hope that we can return the trip in the future.

The Cats
October 11th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Coastal @ Liberty
Charleston Southern @ Gardner-Webb
Stony Brook @ VMI

F'N Hawks
October 11th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Stony Brook will beat VMI, guaranteed. Your O and D lines are tough. Your play calling was vanilla as it should be in a non-conference game like this, I have a feeling some more of the playbook wil come out when the conference play begins.

I was very impressed with how fundamentally sound your team is. Yes, there was a couple dumb penalties but they were questionable to say the least. I like what Coach Priorie has going.

elcid83
October 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Liberty 31; CCU 14
VMI 21; Stony Brook 16
Gard-Webb 35, CSU 12

KD, What happened to Maypray on Saturday. 3 carries, 2 catches and no punt returns? He drove our boys nuts every time he touched the ball. Is he ok?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Redwyn
October 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Stony Brook by 14
G-Webb by 21
Liberty by 14

Was very impressed by the effort of our guys against a team now #30 on the Sagarin rankings. Kept it close all the way through. Would love to see what seems like a fantastic ND team at SBU soon!

Seawolf97
October 11th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Seawolf:

I watched the Stony Broke vs. UND game this week. I was not familiar with any of teams in the Big South conference. But, I was impressed with the line play on both sides of the ball. The turnovers and penalties (12 men on the field when UND was punting the ball) cost you guys the game. You take care of the ball and eliminate the dumb penalties. You are going to win a lot of games. - thanks to your program for coming out to Grand Forks. I hope that we can return the trip in the future.

Penalities have been a problem all season. It has stopped more than drive on us or given our opponent extra downs. Hey good game - I understand your Dome is top notch . Good Luck for the rest of the seasonxthumbsupx

kdinva
October 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM
KD, What happened to Maypray on Saturday. 3 carries, 2 catches and no punt returns? He drove our boys nuts every time he touched the ball. Is he ok?

I heard one "Rumor" that he may have had a sprained shoulder going in........nothing formal from the SID or Coach Woods before or after the game......the whole offense is playing with a sprain, it seems. Credit the defenses we've played so far, for a lot of the lower numbers we've produced so far.

elcid83
October 11th, 2009, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=ToTheLeft;1431411]Power Rankings:

2. Coastal (Took care of VMI, and while it might not have been a huge win, they did win...) - Tim Maypray only ran the ball three times against Coastal and did not return a punt - where he was most dangerous against GW. VMI isn't much of a ball club without him and a win against VMI when Maypray isn't healthy isn't much to brag about.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

SumItUp
October 12th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Liberty - Seems like the bye week lasted a month. Liberty finally starts conference play in pursuit of their third straight championship. They will be favored each week but a loss is not impossible if they are not focused. It should not be an issue.

Gardner-Webb - The Buffalo game is now behind them and they are healthy. They should finish strong this year.

Stony Brook - Seem to have solid potential and played well against ND despite the outcome.

VMI - A good team that is heading toward a very disappointing season.

Coastal Carolina - This week may be the last that they have a .500 record (3-2) this year.

Charleston Southern - Next couple of weeks look rough. Should finish the season by winning 3 of their last 4 with something positive for next year.

Presbyterian - They were predestined to be awful this year.

Week 7 Picks:
Liberty 38, Coastal Carolina 18
Gardner-Webb 28, Charleston Southern 17
Stony Brook 24, VMI 20

Hoseinexile07
October 12th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Presbyterian - They were predestined to be awful this year.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to to much of anything with a young, thin team learning a new coach's system and habits. But the rise and fall of football teams is a cyclical thing. It was only five years ago that Liberty sucked as bad as we do now. We'll be fine in the future, and at least we have a proven college coach at the helm instead of a clown who happened to coach a college team.

...Being of the elect doesn't mean everything will go your way all the time, but that you're promised good things in the future. xreadxxthumbsupx

SuperJon
October 12th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Coastal, G-W, and SB are looking like 2a, 2b, and 2c right now. Then right behind them is VMI. Then down the line a ways is CSU. Then in the next county over is PC.

gobluehose1
October 12th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Coastal, G-W, and SB are looking like 2a, 2b, and 2c right now. Then right behind them is VMI. Then down the line a ways is CSU. Then in the next county over is PC.

everything you say about PC is pretty much right....

but what I would give to beat you guys again and keep you out of the playoffs....:D

CarolinaGirl
October 12th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Week 7 Picks:

Coastal @ Liberty - Liberty has every advantage going into this game, especially the fact that it's a home game. I haven't seen anyone bragging that we beat VMI. We know we dodged a bullet with Maypray out. No matter the outcome, it will be close on Saturday. There won't be a 14-20 point differential in this game.
3-2 = .500 xconfusedx

Charleston Southern @ Gardner-Webb - I assume this doesn't really require any explanation

Stony Brook @ VMI - but I reserve the right to change my mind on this one. How hurt is Maypray? I'm guessing it must be somewhat bad since he was so limited on Saturday.

SuperJon
October 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM
You said Liberty has every advantage and then picked Coastal to win without giving a reason why.

CarolinaGirl
October 12th, 2009, 09:54 PM
You said Liberty has every advantage and then picked Coastal to win without giving a reason why.

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't know there were rules as to posting why who we choose to win. I thought it was obvious. Because they are Coastal and I am a Coastal fan. I wear teal colored glasses and am hopelessly loyal to my team. I hope that is sufficient. xcoolx

SuperJon
October 13th, 2009, 08:56 AM
You put reasons for the other games but didn't put one for Coastal. That's why I was asking.

And freely admitting you're a homer is a perfectly good reason to pick your school.

hoseman
October 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Liberty vs CCU Whichever team scores first will win this game - both teams are fall apart once behind kind of teams. CCU will win the toss and score first.

VMI vs Stony Brook The discipline of VMI ensures a victory to the Keydets

G-Webb vs CSU GW wins this contest.

Libertine
October 13th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Liberty vs CCU Whichever team scores first will win this game - both teams are fall apart once behind kind of teams.

Really? Let's check the box scores.

Liberty
* @ WVU -- Liberty fell behind early. Then came back to tie the score in the 2nd.
* NC Central -- Liberty fell behind by 10 early. Then scored 35 unanswered.
* JMU -- Liberty fell behind early. Then came back to tie the score in the 4th.

Coastal
* @ Kent St. -- Down by 2, missed a FG that would have given them a halftime lead. Never "fell apart".
* Monmouth -- Coastal fell behind early. Then put up 24 for the win.
* VMI -- Coastal fell behind early. Then shut down VMI the rest of the night.

elcid83
October 13th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Really? Let's check the box scores.

Liberty
* @ WVU -- Liberty fell behind early. Then came back to tie the score in the 2nd.
* NC Central -- Liberty fell behind by 10 early. Then scored 35 unanswered.
* JMU -- Liberty fell behind early. Then came back to tie the score in the 4th.

Coastal
* @ Kent St. -- Down by 2, missed a FG that would have given them a halftime lead. Never "fell apart".
* Monmouth -- Coastal fell behind early. Then put up 24 for the win.
* VMI -- Coastal fell behind early. Then shut down VMI the rest of the night.

Fall apart might be strong language, but, Liberty did lose to WVU and JMU. Also, it's not really fair to brag about beating NCCU - it's like GW beating Mars Hill - you should enjoy the opportunity to practice against someone other than your own teammates. In like style, Coastal did lose to Kent St. and their victory against VMI is tainted since Maypray hardly played. VMI without Maypray is not a very good team.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

CarolinaGirl
October 13th, 2009, 12:40 PM
You put reasons for the other games but didn't put one for Coastal. That's why I was asking.

And freely admitting you're a homer is a perfectly good reason to pick your school.

Actually, I tried to go back and edit last night but it timed out on me so I couldn't do it. It was past my bedtime and I was tired and irritable and quite honestly, your post just annoyed me. ;)

Aside from being a "homer" (and Marge would not have a problem with that!), I think Coastal has a legitimate shot at beating Liberty. Our D has pulled it together this season. Our DBs are pheonominal and our line has improved greatly. I don't think much of rankings but I can't remember the last time our overall D was ranked anywhere! If our WRs can catch the ball and we don't put it on the ground as often as we have this season....just plain and simple cutting out some of the stupid mistakes....I think we can leave LU with a win on Saturday. xnodx

kdinva
October 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM
.......since Maypray hardly played. VMI without Maypray is not a very good team.

......well, we're still OK with out Maypray. VMI had three unforced turnoversxoopsx in the 2nd half, inside the CCU 35. VMI could have won 20-13 or so, if not for said turnovers.

CCU97
October 13th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Liberty v CCU- Coastal...I believe they will go into this game fired up and have a larger desire to win the game. Neither team will make the playoffs this year so it is for pride. If CCU can limit the early season mistakes the O will score and the D has been fierce so far this year.

VMI v Stony Brook - Stony Brook, they seem to be on the verge of getting their program turned around in a big way. VMI has very little pass D or O.

GW v CSU - GW it is ChuckSouth after all!

CCU97
October 13th, 2009, 12:48 PM
......well, we're still OK with out Maypray. VMI had three unforced turnoversxoopsx in the 2nd half, inside the CCU 35. VMI could have won 20-13 or so, if not for said turnovers.

Yeah but if CCU didn't turn the ball over it would have been a white wash.....so that logic doesn't float. Both teams made mistakes during the game.....

Libertine
October 13th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Fall apart might be strong language, but, Liberty did lose to WVU and JMU. Also, it's not really fair to brag about beating NCCU - it's like GW beating Mars Hill - you should enjoy the opportunity to practice against someone other than your own teammates. In like style, Coastal did lose to Kent St. and their victory against VMI is tainted since Maypray hardly played. VMI without Maypray is not a very good team.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

You completely missed my point. The Hoser up there was trying to establish that both teams fall apart when getting behind. The facts contradict this premise and substantially so.

Incidentally, unless it's by forfeit, there is no such thing as a tainted victory.

MarkCCU
October 13th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I think CCU can pull a win but they have to monitor the field. Last season, Liberty had a WR that was on fire and CCU never even attempted to shut him down. Coastal must hunker down and play BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL. No more of this, offense will win the game, mentality. The Flamers will go down.

Is that hateful? I'm not sure what's allowed of here anymore.

g-webb1994
October 14th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Liberty 33
Coastal 17

G-W 31
CSU 13

VMI 23
SB 21

power rankings:

1. Liberty - won't lay an egg on homecoming...
2. G-W - the sod at Spangler Stadium should be near perfect, being it hasn't been used in over a month....
3. Coastal - would be in drivers seat for conference title with upset Saturday, and Bennett needs it, but it won't happen...
4. (tie) VMI - a win Saturday could mean a three-game win streak heading into Lynchburg in November...
4. (tie) Stony Brook - disappointment of the year IMO, lose Saturday at VMI and they might not win another game this season....
6. CSU - true test at G-W, could vault up the chart with an upset, but highly unlikely, G-W will finally enjoy some home cooking.
7. PC - they're predestined to win a game this season at some point, although I doubt it will be in Lynchburg....

elcid83
October 14th, 2009, 06:25 PM
You completely missed my point. The Hoser up there was trying to establish that both teams fall apart when getting behind. The facts contradict this premise and substantially so.

Incidentally, unless it's by forfeit, there is no such thing as a tainted victory.

You sir completely missed my point. After all, I did say "Fall part might be strong language ..." Additionally, I stand by my "tainted victory" comment. The VMI faithful and anyone else who has had the opportunity to witness Mr. Maypray's handiwork knows exactly what I mean. He is a solid talent and without him VMI would not have posted the rushing numbers they have posted.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs226.snc1/7334_1164690031423_1053041569_30446169_7689490_n.j pg

Libertine
October 15th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I stand by my "tainted victory" comment. The VMI faithful and anyone else who has had the opportunity to witness Mr. Maypray's handiwork knows exactly what I mean. He is a solid talent and without him VMI would not have posted the rushing numbers they have posted.

No one who has seen him play doubts Maypray's abilities and what he brings to the VMI offense. However, a win is a win is a win and there is no W+/W- grading scale in football. Maypray or no Maypray, Coastal's win over VMI is no less of a win.

Schfourteenteen
October 15th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Rankings

1) Liberty - The difference between 1 and 2-4 is closer than most think.
2) Stony Brook - They slip up to 2, although they probably dont deserve it after the loss. If all goes their way the conference could be decided in Staten Island come November.
3) Gardner Webb - The loss to Buffalo doesnt signify anything......yet.
4) Coastal - I have to put them at 4. They're obviously better than VMI, but we have yet to get a gague on how good they really are. Bennett doesnt think he belongs in Williams Stadium on Saturday. We might not until their games against SB and GW.
5) VMI - A healthy Maypray can make this team very dangerous in conference.
6) Chuck South - Never seems to be a threat anywhere. It's unreal just 3 or 4 years ago they were ranked at one point.
7) Presby - Not really sure why they scheduled ODU, but there have been worse decisions made, like Bobby Bentley having a blog.

Liberty 30
Coastal 13

Gardner Webb - 41
Chuck South - 7

VMI - 24
Stony Brook - 31

elcid83
October 15th, 2009, 11:01 AM
No one who has seen him play doubts Maypray's abilities and what he brings to the VMI offense. However, a win is a win is a win and there is no W+/W- grading scale in football. Maypray or no Maypray, Coastal's win over VMI is no less of a win.

Maybe I didn't understand the purpose of Lefty's Power Rankings at the beginning of this thread. If Coastal is ranked ahead of GW because it is perceived that they played VMI better than GW did [I don't know why else Lefty would have Coastal ranked higher] then the quality of the win is being considered.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs226.snc1/7334_1164689071399_1053041569_30446161_2142227_n.j pg

Libertine
October 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Maybe I didn't understand the purpose of Lefty's Power Rankings at the beginning of this thread. If Coastal is ranked ahead of GW because it is perceived that they played VMI better than GW did [I don't know why else Lefty would have Coastal ranked higher] then the quality of the win is being considered.

Point taken. I was referring more to wins in general.

bjtheflamesfan
October 15th, 2009, 06:44 PM
LU 35
CCU 28

Liberty has only lost one conference game at home since 2006 and that was because of a missed field goal. the kicking game is solid and LU has a chance to get off on the right foot in conference.

Stony Brook 56
VMI 24

VMI had a disappointing showing against Coastal and Stony brook is coming off a solid showing agains North Dakota. Seawolves win solidly but dont be surprised if VMI makes this a shootout

Gardner-Webb 49
Charleston Southern 14
CSU cant get out of its own way and G-W had a disappointing showing against I-A buffalo and wants to get off to a fast start in conference play...Runnin Bulldogs sink the Bucs

IaaScribe
October 15th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Wrong schedule dude.

Seawolf97
October 15th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Rankings

1) Liberty - The difference between 1 and 2-4 is closer than most think.
2) Stony Brook - They slip up to 2, although they probably dont deserve it after the loss. If all goes their way the conference could be decided in Staten Island come November.
3) Gardner Webb - The loss to Buffalo doesnt signify anything......yet.
4) Coastal - I have to put them at 4. They're obviously better than VMI, but we have yet to get a gague on how good they really are. Bennett doesnt think he belongs in Williams Stadium on Saturday. We might not until their games against SB and GW.
5) VMI - A healthy Maypray can make this team very dangerous in conference.
6) Chuck South - Never seems to be a threat anywhere. It's unreal just 3 or 4 years ago they were ranked at one point.
7) Presby - Not really sure why they scheduled ODU, but there have been worse decisions made, like Bobby Bentley having a blog.

Liberty 30
Coastal 13

Gardner Webb - 41
Chuck South - 7

VMI - 24
Stony Brook - 31

Staten Island ! Yikes Right state wrong island. The team is in Virginia tonight and I think we pull this one out. Still beleive the Conference Title is decided on Nov. 21 st when Liberty visits. xthumbsupx

Schfourteenteen
October 15th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Why did I put that? Whatever I'm retarded. Ill probably be going to the game regardless.

kirkblitz
October 15th, 2009, 10:40 PM
ccu 21
lib 14

sb 21
vmi 14

gw 31
csu 0

ccu to win the big south and reclaim our rightful place as god of FCS football.

hoseman
October 16th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Rankings

Very clever comment and truthful about the blog. It's going to take years to build PC into a competitor thanks to that guy.

Libertine
October 16th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Liberty has only lost one conference game at home since 2006 and that was because of a missed field goal.

It may be a technicality but Liberty has lost zero conference games since the Coastal game in '06. Last year, Presby was not a conference game.

jcmanson
October 16th, 2009, 07:46 AM
It may be a technicality but Liberty has lost zero conference games since the Coastal game in '06. Last year, Presby was not a conference game.

I think he's referring to the G-W game in 06.

F'N Hawks
October 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Here are the spreads for the games this week:

G-W -5
CSU

SB -5.5
VMI

Liberty -11
CCU

kdinva
October 16th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Stony Brook 56
VMI 24

Were you one of those who said UR would beat us by 35+? ;) I don't see SBU getting 350+ rushing yards (or whatever) like they did in 2008.

ToTheLeft
October 16th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Were you one of those who said UR would beat us by 35+? ;) I don't see SBU getting 350+ rushing yards (or whatever) like they did in 2008.

I also don't think SBU is that good... I think that game will be close, and I can't see a 30 point difference. I think SBU is living off of pre-season hype a little too much.

Also, Presby at home =/= VMI in Lexington. Thinking that SBU will beat VMI similarly to how they beat PC is just silly.

Libertine
October 16th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I think he's referring to the G-W game in 06.

Which was before the Coastal game that year.

Redwyn
October 17th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Another good ol SBU win

We don't talk much, we just hit hard. Coulter is a beast with a 300+ passing performance, and our pass defense held well, holding VMI to <60 in the air.

27-20 SBU :)

Looking forward to seeing Coastal on our turf ::shows teeth::

kdinva
October 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Another good ol SBU win

We don't talk much, we just hit hard. Coulter is a beast with a 300+ passing performance, and our pass defense held well, holding VMI to <60 in the air.

27-20 SBU :)

Looking forward to seeing Coastal on our turf ::shows teeth::
A fine game-winning drive by SBU for the win (gotta admit: the VMI D in the 2nd half pretty darn stout until that last drive). Coulter ate up the VMI DB's (who hasn't in 2009:().

If you told me yesterday we would hold SBU to under 150 yards rushing, I would have said a VMI win, no doubt.........three turnovers (two in SBU territory), plus the defense not stopping SBU on third down, hurt VMI's chances. Time of possession: SBU 37 min., VMI 23. VMI can't win with that kind of disparity in the possession time stat.

Redwyn
October 17th, 2009, 05:47 PM
A fine game-winning drive by SBU for the win (gotta admit: the VMI D in the 2nd half pretty darn stout until that last drive). Coulter ate up the VMI DB's (who hasn't in 2009:().

If you told me yesterday we would hold SBU to under 150 yards rushing, I would have said a VMI win, no doubt.........three turnovers (two in SBU territory), plus the defense not stopping SBU on third down, hurt VMI's chances. Time of possession: SBU 37 min., VMI 23. VMI can't win with that kind of disparity in the possession time stat.

Very true. I'm in shock that our running game hasn't been what it was in 2008. Then again, when you deal with a rookie of the year and All American HM tandem at RB it's likely that teams will ignore the passing offense. Maybe that time is over?

jcmanson
October 17th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Hope all of you enjoy playing for 2nd place

Redwyn
October 17th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Hope all of you enjoy playing for 2nd place

::saves post till November :D ::

Seawolf97
October 17th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I think we can mix it up now. Coulter is starting to show improvement and our receivers are
holding onto to his passes. If we can stop the dumb penalities we will be ok.
Good news is Coastal will be present when we unveil our High -Def Scoreboard/Jumbo Tron.
It is state of the art from what I understand,

jcmanson
October 17th, 2009, 09:22 PM
::saves post till November :D ::

duly (sp?) noted xsmiley_wix

kirkblitz
October 17th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I think we can mix it up now. Coulter is starting to show improvement and our receivers are
holding onto to his passes. If we can stop the dumb penalities we will be ok.
Good news is Coastal will be present when we unveil our High -Def Scoreboard/Jumbo Tron.
It is state of the art from what I understand,

so we can watch ourself losing in hd? :(:(

Redwyn
October 18th, 2009, 08:37 AM
so we can watch ourself losing in hd? :(:(

We were hoping to show the pores on your QB's face as Santucci rails into him for the 30th time :p

kirkblitz
October 18th, 2009, 02:29 PM
meanie xbawlingxxbawlingx

bjtheflamesfan
October 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM
ccu 21
lib 14

sb 21
vmi 14

gw 31
csu 0

ccu to win the big south and reclaim our rightful place as god of FCS football.

Looks like the "god" of FCS football got struck down