PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Prognostications - 10/11

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Alright Appy fans, I'm ready to be ripped! At the very least, come up with your AQs, at-larges. ;)

McNeese is in. They'll have a rough road to get to seven games as the SLC is unpredictable, but I view them as having the best chance. If the committee has to choose between McN and Appy, they go with McNeese based on the win in Boone.

Automatic Bids
Big Sky: Montana
Colonial: Richmond
MEAC: Florida A&M
MVFC: Northern Iowa
OVC: Tennessee State
Patriot: Colgate
SoCon: Elon
Southland: Stephen F. Austin

At-Large
New Hampshire
Villanova
William & Mary
South Carolina State
South Dakota State
Southern Illinois
Eastern Kentucky
McNeese State

Bubble Teams
Delaware/Montana State/Weber State (needs to win 4 of 5 to get seven)
Youngstown State (next three games - at SIU, vs SDSU, at UNI - will dictate)
Holy Cross (loss to Brown hurts, luckily has Lafayette and Colgate at home)
Appalachian State (must win 4 of 6 to get to seven wins - and would that get them in? Road games of Furman and Elon may the 'call' difficult to make)
Eastern Illinois (still could get in ahead of EKU as 9-2 or 8-3 are possible)

Bracket

South Carolina State @ (1) Richmond
Eastern Kentucky @ William & Mary

Colgate @ (4) New Hampshire
Florida A&M @ Elon

Southern Illinois @ Villanova
Tennessee State @ (3) Northern Iowa

South Dakota State @ Stephen F. Austin
McNeese State @ (2) Montana

appfan2008
October 11th, 2009, 08:40 AM
glad to see we finally at least made your bubble teams list... we will see in the end!

caribbeanhen
October 11th, 2009, 08:42 AM
only 4 CAA teams?

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2009, 08:43 AM
glad to see we finally at least made your bubble teams list... we will see in the end!

If App State makes it to seven wins, the committee will have to weigh several options...should make it very interesting and could make for a team getting 'woofed'.

only 4 CAA teams?

You guys beat each other. I think four is respectable. Five could happen, but may be pushing it some with how so many teams could be on the verge of not reaching seven wins.

appfan2008
October 11th, 2009, 08:45 AM
@ 7 wins we will be 6-2 in the socon... if that is good for second place in conference then I think we are in... but if we are third we are out...

PaladinFan
October 11th, 2009, 08:49 AM
@ 7 wins we will be 6-2 in the socon... if that is good for second place in conference then I think we are in... but if we are third we are out...

I was thinking about that scenario today. I think the App/Elon and Furman/App game will decide who finishes 1,2, and 3.

Granted, this is all based on Furman, App, and Elon not getting upturned somewhere along the way. Right now, though, I think those three are the most complete teams.

gophoenix
October 11th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I was thinking about that scenario today. I think the App/Elon and Furman/App game will decide who finishes 1,2, and 3.

Granted, this is all based on Furman, App, and Elon not getting upturned somewhere along the way. Right now, though, I think those three are the most complete teams.

There's no way a qualifying App team is left out. Too much history, too much potential and too good of attendance. I even dare say that they'll host a game.

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2009, 08:55 AM

And Appy has to go on the road to both those teams. Definitely makes it difficult for them to go 2-0, let alone split the games. Win one or both of those games with victories in the other games before that, Appy won't have to be on the bubble each week.

ToTheLeft
October 11th, 2009, 09:13 AM
How is SC State in over Liberty? Honestly... give me one decent reason.

DOME
October 11th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Only four CAA teams? That's right, this isn't the BCS and other conferences have a shot. I see no reason to autoqualify a team just cuz the get to seven wins in the mighty CAA. They'll have had a chance to win, if they don't then give the chance to someone else.

Bill Hanson
October 11th, 2009, 09:31 AM
only 4 CAA teams?

Where are the other 2-3?

B&G
October 11th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I'll try an alternate version...

Automatic Bids
MEAC: South Carolina St
SoCon: Appalachian St

At-Large
New Hampshire
Villanova
William & Mary
Elon
South Dakota State
Southern Illinois
McNeese State
Delaware (there's always one team's inclusion that spurs debate)

grizfan88
October 11th, 2009, 09:33 AM
How is SC State in over Liberty? Honestly... give me one decent reason.

You're kidding right?

Ud1Hens
October 11th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Only four CAA teams? That's right, this isn't the BCS and other conferences have a shot. I see no reason to autoqualify a team just cuz the get to seven wins in the mighty CAA. They'll have had a chance to win, if they don't then give the chance to someone else.

At the end of the year you'll have some 8-3 CAA teams with either a win over a FBS team or one of their losses against an FBS team. These teams will also most likely have 3 or 4 wins against top 20 FCS teams and the other 2 losses vs FCS top 10 teams. That will be a hard resume to ignore and history shows the committee doesn't. This isn't little league baseball where the committee just says, 'let's give someone else a chance to play'. The CAA has gone on the road and beat seeds and usually has 2 teams in the national semis, as well as a team in the title game. As a previous poster stated: The past handful of years its been 1) App St, 2) the CAA 3) everyone else. Call it arrogance or just call it facts.

However with each team beating up on one another you'll have a few auto picks (Nova, UNH, Richmond) and some others that resumes will be tough to ignore (William and Mary) and other that remain to be seen (Delaware, UMass, JMU and if one of them can get to 8 wins overall they will not be excluded from the playoffs)

ToTheLeft
October 11th, 2009, 09:42 AM
You're kidding right?

No, I'm really not. I've been over this before but I'll go over it again... what has SC State DONE?

They've beat Grambling, who has been a disappointment, and then TERRIBLE MEAC teams... TERRIBLE. B-C and WS(who aren't MEAC but play the entire MEAC) are just horrific. They're on the same level as West Virginia Wesleyan that Liberty played.

Liberty's win of Lafayette is better than SCSU's win over Grambling
Liberty's loss to WVU was closer/better than SCSU's loss to SC
Liberty's wins over NCCU and WVWC are combined better than wins over B-C and WS.
Liberty's loss to JMU is looking more and more like a black mark, but does a win over Norfolk State really put SC State in over Liberty? I don't think EITHER team deserves to be in right now, I think it would be better to look at:

Northern Arizona
App
Weber
Even UC Davis and Cal Poly are going to have better arguments than SC State. The MEAC is awful. It really is. It is worse than the Big South. I think Presby could go .500 in the MEAC and Coastal would win the MEAC.

UNIFanSince1983
October 11th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I did notice that UC Davis isn't even on the bubble after a very good win in overtime against USD...

LAWdiddy
October 11th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I think Florida would kill USD, so in my mind it's not impressive that UCD had to take them to OT to beat them.

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I did notice that UC Davis isn't even on the bubble after a very good win in overtime against USD...

Is this sarcasm? We all know that UC-Davis has practically no shot at the playoffs at this point. I believe it was covered in another thread...

ASU_Fanatic
October 11th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I really think that we'll make the playoffs.

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I really think that we'll make the playoffs.

Better tell Jerry Moore to win a few more games so that the statement is believable. Got a long way to go... xrulesx

LAWdiddy
October 11th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Can I ask a question about hte playoffs. Just a frosh at Elon not really sure how the whole process works. If Elon were to win in your prognostications would they travel to UNH the following week?

ASU_Fanatic
October 11th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Better tell Jerry Moore to win a few more games so that the statement is believable. Got a long way to go... xrulesxYeah, but were gradually improving each week. If we can beat either Furman or Elon I think we can finish 8-3. I dont think we'll win both, but I think that we will win one out of the two.

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Can I ask a question about hte playoffs. Just a frosh at Elon not really sure how the whole process works. If Elon were to win in your prognostications would they travel to UNH the following week?

Correct.

Seeded teams host until they play a higher-seeded team or they're in Chatty.

darell1976
October 11th, 2009, 11:15 AM
No playoff teams from the Great West?? Like Cal Poly.

aggiemba
October 11th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Is this sarcasm? We all know that UC-Davis has practically no shot at the playoffs at this point. I believe it was covered in another thread...

I bet you end up eating those words by the end of the season. xcoffeex

PhoenixSupreme
If Elon was to trip up as they normally do, would two SoCon losses get them in as well, at 8-3? Particularly against Appy and [insert team here].

Schfourteenteen
They would find a way to make New Hampshire travel to Northern Iowa.

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I bet you end up eating those words by the end of the season. xcoffeex

UC-Davis is presently 2-3. In fact, they are 1-3 if you are only speaking of games against Division I competition.

There are SIX games remaining and you must win SIX to reach the seven games minimum. As we all know, UCD had better win all six games to reach seven games to really have a legitimate chance.

Remaining games:

Sat, Oct 17 Winston-Salem State 9:00 pm --
Sat, Oct 24 at Portland State 4:05 pm --
Sat, Oct 31 at Southern Utah 3:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 7 Cal Poly 4:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 14 North Dakota 4:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 21 at Sacramento State 5:05 pm --

I'll give you WSSU and even give you Sac State. Not willing to give you any of the other four. You are not going to be favored in at least half of your contests.

Your defense is giving up more yards (386.4) than your offense produces (319.4). In fact, teams have put 17 TDs on the board to just nine by your squad with the UCD "rushing attack" accounting for just 47.2 yards per game.

darell1976
October 11th, 2009, 11:23 AM
UC-Davis is presently 2-3. In fact, they are 2-2 if you are only speaking of games against Division I competition.

There are SIX games remaining and you must win FIVE to reach the seven games minimum. As we all know, UCD had better win all six games to reach eight games to really have a legitimate chance.

Remaining games:

Sat, Oct 17 Winston-Salem State 9:00 pm --
Sat, Oct 24 at Portland State 4:05 pm --
Sat, Oct 31 at Southern Utah 3:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 7 Cal Poly 4:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 14 North Dakota 4:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 21 at Sacramento State 5:05 pm --

I'll give you WSSU and even give you Sac State. Not willing to give you any of the other four. You are not going to be favored in at least half of your contests.

Your defense is giving up more yards (386.4) than your offense produces (319.4). In fact, teams have put 17 TDs on the board to just nine by your squad with the UCD "rushing attack" accounting for just 47.2 yards per game.

You mean 1-3 in D1 competition.

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2009, 11:26 AM
You mean 1-3 in D1 competition.

Fixed it. Even worse... xwhistlex

bluehenbillk
October 11th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Can't see the MEAC justifying they merit 2 teams. The OVC will never get 2 teams either considering their best team is ineligible.

SDSU will have to knock off either UNI or SIU to make it. CAA with only 4??

blue4gold
October 11th, 2009, 11:40 AM
UC-Davis is presently 2-3. In fact, they are 1-3 if you are only speaking of games against Division I competition.

First off, if you're not counting our D2 win, you also shouldn't count our FBS losses to Fresno or Boise St. So we're 1-1 against FCS losing only to Montana by 1 touchdown.

Secondly, I have a hard time seeing ALMOST ANY FCS team getting better stats than ours AGAINST THAT SCHEDULE. Those are really deceptive statistics. Play Boise and Fresno 2 games apart and we'll see how your team will do.

UC Davis has a long way to go before playoff consideration, but let's be fair here. If you don't count the D2 win, at least don't count the FBS losses. 1-1 in FCS with a loss to Montana and a win in South Dakota.

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2009, 11:44 AM
First off, if you're not counting our D2 win, you also shouldn't count our FBS losses to Fresno or Boise St. So we're 1-1 against FCS losing only to Montana by 1 touchdown.

Okay, we can do that. You are 1-1 with 6 games left. Good luck getting to SEVEN wins. There's no automatic bids in the GWFC.

Secondly, I have a hard time seeing ALMOST ANY FCS team getting better stats than ours AGAINST THAT SCHEDULE. Those are really deceptive statistics. Play Boise and Fresno 2 games apart and we'll see how your team will do.

Several teams have played tougher schedules.and posted better stats. It's not like you played two FBS powers as some schools with better stats have.

UC Davis has a long way to go before playoff consideration, but let's be fair here. If you don't count the D2 win, at least don't count the FBS losses. 1-1 in FCS with a loss to Montana and a win in South Dakota.

For playoff purposes, all games - FBS or FCS - are Division I games. Get used to it, you guys do want to remain a Div I program, right?

TCisMYhero
October 11th, 2009, 11:57 AM
only 4 CAA teams?

All hail the mighty caa and their 8 deserving playoff teams.

ToTheLeft
October 11th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Can't see the MEAC justifying they merit 2 teams. The OVC will never get 2 teams either considering their best team is ineligible.

Thank you! Someone else agrees with me. I dont care if it means extra Big Sky, SoCon, or CAA teams, or a team like LU or a Patriot team... the MEAC is terrible, and the OVC (just like the SLC) have a top 25 team that's ineligible that's going to wreck everyone's resumes.

blue4gold
October 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Okay, we can do that. You are 1-1 with 6 games left. Good luck getting to SEVEN wins. There's no automatic bids in the GWFC.

Point taken. Lots of football to be played.

Several teams have played tougher schedules.and posted better stats. It's not like you played two FBS powers as some schools with better stats have.

Debatable. Fresno is a good team. Boise, it's safe to say is a powerhouse. UCD had nearly the same time of possession and hung in there with Boise. We were down only 11 with under a minute left. I have no excuses for the Fresno game. We got crushed.

For playoff purposes, all games - FBS or FCS - are Division I games. Get used to it, you guys do want to remain a Div I program, right?

Fine, but to be fair, I have a hard time seeing ANY FCS program beating those teams. UC Davis beat an average Stanford a few years ago, and only lost to San Jose State last year by 1 point in the last minute, but when you start playing strong FBS programs, there's a big difference in talent. You only see an App State beating Michigan every so often.

TheValleyRaider
October 11th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Fine, but to be fair, I have a hard time seeing ANY FCS program beating those teams. UC Davis beat an average Stanford a few years ago, and only lost to San Jose State last year by 1 point in the last minute, but when you start playing strong FBS programs, there's a big difference in talent. You only see an App State beating Michigan every so often.

That's the problem though. UC Davis may well have scheduled themselves out of the playoffs. You need 7 wins against Division I competition to be considered for an at-large, and as of right now the Aggies are going to have to be perfect (record-wise) to do it. That's a tough task, and full credit to them if they pull it off, but you can't really blame others for predicting against it at this point

DSUrocks07
October 11th, 2009, 12:08 PM
No, I'm really not. I've been over this before but I'll go over it again... what has SC State DONE?

They've beat Grambling, who has been a disappointment, and then TERRIBLE MEAC teams... TERRIBLE. B-C and WS(who aren't MEAC but play the entire MEAC) are just horrific. They're on the same level as West Virginia Wesleyan that Liberty played.

Liberty's win of Lafayette is better than SCSU's win over Grambling
Liberty's loss to WVU was closer/better than SCSU's loss to SC
Liberty's wins over NCCU and WVWC are combined better than wins over B-C and WS.
Liberty's loss to JMU is looking more and more like a black mark, but does a win over Norfolk State really put SC State in over Liberty? I don't think EITHER team deserves to be in right now, I think it would be better to look at:

Northern Arizona
App
Weber
Even UC Davis and Cal Poly are going to have better arguments than SC State. The MEAC is awful. It really is. It is worse than the Big South. I think Presby could go .500 in the MEAC and Coastal would win the MEAC.

xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

Man this ride is getting dizzy xlolx

darell1976
October 11th, 2009, 12:09 PM
That's the problem though. UC Davis may well have scheduled themselves out of the playoffs. You need 7 wins against Division I competition to be considered for an at-large, and as of right now the Aggies are going to have to be perfect (record-wise) to do it. That's a tough task, and full credit to them if they pull it off, but you can't really blame others for predicting against it at this point

That includes playing us.:D

ToTheLeft
October 11th, 2009, 12:15 PM
xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

Man this ride is getting dizzy xlolx

You always make these cute comments, but where are facts?

MEAC teams lose to DII's and WS. The MEAC is awful, just awful.

DSUrocks07
October 11th, 2009, 12:37 PM
You always make these cute comments, but where are facts?

MEAC teams lose to DII's and WS. The MEAC is awful, just awful.

The Big South is awful too. Outside of Liberty and (maybe?) CC, who else is any good?
Is easy for a conference to be ranked higher when they have less teams. (MEAC: 9, Big South: 7)

The MEAC has SC State and FAMU, both good
The Big South has Liberty and CC, both good

You think that Presby would finish .500 in MEAC play? That CC would win the MEAC?
Well I think that Hampton would win the Big South and BCU would go .500

Your point? xeyebrowx

ToTheLeft
October 11th, 2009, 12:45 PM
The Big South is awful too. Outside of Liberty and (maybe?) CC, who else is any good?
Is easy for a conference to be ranked higher when they have less teams. (MEAC: 9, Big South: 7)

The MEAC has SC State and FAMU, both good
The Big South has Liberty and CC, both good

You think that Presby would finish .500 in MEAC play? That CC would win the MEAC?
Well I think that Hampton would win the Big South and BCU would go .500

Your point? xeyebrowx

I've been through all of this before. The top of each conference is similar. The bottom of each is drastically different. Chuck and Presby are awful, but they beat the DII's they play. You can't say the same for B-C... the bottom of the MEAC is just terrible, and the middle isn't really that good... Both conferences are good at the top, but as you go down the conference, the Big South is just better.

I mean, who wouldn't want to go to FAMU or SCSU when, during recruiting, you get to hear "You get to play Winston Salem and Bethune Cookman, your stats will go thru the roof!"

Native
October 11th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Unlikely that Southland and the MEAC will each get two teams into the playoffs.

More likely that Great West and/or the Big Sky will get an at-large bid.

DSUrocks07
October 11th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I've been through all of this before. The top of each conference is similar. The bottom of each is drastically different. Chuck and Presby are awful, but they beat the DII's they play. You can't say the same for B-C... the bottom of the MEAC is just terrible, and the middle isn't really that good... Both conferences are good at the top, but as you go down the conference, the Big South is just better.

I mean, who wouldn't want to go to FAMU or SCSU when, during recruiting, you get to hear "You get to play Winston Salem and Bethune Cookman, your stats will go thru the roof!"

WSSU is going back to D2 after this season. So our recruits wont be able to play them anymore.
Bethune-Cookman is having a down year with a very young team of mainly freshmen and sophomores.
And BCU went 8-3 last year, they are not a "traditionally bad" team.
Can't say the same about VMI.

So beating a D2 is your benchmark for a good team? Oh and BTW you've been saying that the MEAC is awful for quite awhile now. BCU lost to Shaw this year. When was their other D2 loss?

I mean, who wouldn't want to go to Liberty or CC when, during recruiting, you get to hear "And you get to play Presbyterian and VMI EVERY YEAR, your stats will go thru the roof!"xrolleyesx

Death Dealer
October 11th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Alright Appy fans, I'm ready to be ripped! At the very least, come up with your AQs, at-larges. ;)

McNeese is in. They'll have a rough road to get to seven games as the SLC is unpredictable, but I view them as having the best chance. If the committee has to choose between McN and Appy, they go with McNeese based on the win in Boone.

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Villanova
William & Mary
South Carolina State
South Dakota State
Southern Illinois
Eastern Kentucky
McNeese State

Bubble Teams
Appalachian State (must win 4 of 6 to get to seven wins - and would that get them in? Road games of Furman and Elon may the 'call' difficult to make)

Bracket

Florida A&M @ Elon

Only one SOCON team? xlolxJust another hater, eh TT? There will be two SOCON teams in this year. Count on it. Elon gets the Auto-bid and either App St. or Furman gets the At-large. Someone may get woofed, but it won't be a second team from the SOCON.xnonoxxnodx

ToTheLeft
October 11th, 2009, 01:02 PM
WSSU is going back to D2 after this season. So our recruits wont be able to play them anymore.
Bethune-Cookman is having a down year with a very young team of mainly freshmen and sophomores.
And BCU went 8-3 last year, they are not a "traditionally bad" team.
Can't say the same about VMI.

So beating a D2 is your benchmark for a good team? Oh and BTW you've been saying that the MEAC is awful for quite awhile now. BCU lost to Shaw this year. When was their other D2 loss?

I mean, who wouldn't want to go to Liberty or CC when, during recruiting, you get to hear "And you get to play Presbyterian and VMI EVERY YEAR, your stats will go thru the roof!"xrolleyesx

At least I got you to say something now, other than just cute comments about how I'm wrong with no facts behind them. xthumbsupx

DSUrocks07
October 11th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Only one SOCON team? xlolxJust another hater, eh TT? There will be two SOCON teams in this year. Count on it. Elon gets the Auto-bid and either App St. or Furman gets the At-large. Someone may get woofed, but it won't be a second team from the SOCON.xnonoxxnodx

I would say that would be EKU for their loss to Tennessee State at home.

aceinthehole
October 11th, 2009, 01:05 PM

Left - In your opinion, how does the NEC compare with the both the BS and MEAC?

DSUrocks07
October 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM
At least I got you to say something now, other than just cute comments about how I'm wrong with no facts behind them. xthumbsupx

xlolx

Oh is that all you wanted? Since when did facts become important xrulesx

Here's something else. Gardner-Webb and Chuck South both played two FBS teams this year (Chuck: UF and USF, GW: NC State, Buffalo)

Maybe that factors in to the high ranking of the Big South as a conference.

"It ain't who you are, its who you play" xlolx

ToTheLeft
October 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I think the top of the NEC is on par with the top of the BSC or MEAC. I think Albany or CCU against LU or CCU would be a solid game. The bottom of the NEC is bad, but you knew that already... Albany's win over Maine has brought a lot of eyes to the NEC.

ToTheLeft
October 11th, 2009, 01:09 PM
xlolx

Oh is that all you wanted? Since when did facts become important xrulesx

Here's something else. Gardner-Webb and Chuck South both played two FBS teams this year (Chuck: UF and USF, GW: NC State, Buffalo)

Maybe that factors in to the high ranking of the Big South as a conference.

"It ain't who you are, its who you play" xlolx

I agree our numbers are a bit inflated due to that, but FAMU and SCSU have both played really good FBS teams, which should also help the MEAC. At the end of the year last year, and the first GPI this year, the BSC has been better in the GPI than the MEAC. The GPI isn't perfect, but it's just another proof. We need to have a MEAC/Big South challenge at the end of the year to settle this. :)

DSUrocks07
October 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I agree our numbers are a bit inflated due to that, but FAMU and SCSU have both played really good FBS teams, which should also help the MEAC. At the end of the year last year, and the first GPI this year, the BSC has been better in the GPI than the MEAC. The GPI isn't perfect, but it's just another proof. We need to have a MEAC/Big South challenge at the end of the year to settle this. :)

I would be all for it...or even better, a challenge weekend where all the teams of the Big South plays the MEAC (Liberty-SC State, FAMU-CC, and so forth). There should be more of this in college football. Hell I would even say that thats what the MEAC/SWAC challenge SHOULD be.

ToTheLeft
October 11th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I would be all for it...or even better, a challenge weekend where all the teams of the Big South plays the MEAC (Liberty-SC State, FAMU-CC, and so forth). There should be more of this in college football. Hell I would even say that thats what the MEAC/SWAC challenge SHOULD be.

I agree. Would help OOC scheduling if conferences scheduled a weekend where you play the other conferences teams based on conference standings from the year before

LU vs. SCSU
G-W vs. FAMU
CCU vs. Hampton

etc.

Could also give good matchups in the "bigger" conferences. UNI/Montana and SIU/Weber, anyone?

Death Dealer
October 11th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Villanova
William & Mary
South Carolina State
South Dakota State
Southern Illinois
Eastern Kentucky
McNeese State

Bubble Teams

Bracket

Florida A&M @ Elon

So, it's come down to deleting posts you don't like now? xlolxxlolxHow very Maoist of you guys.xcoffeex

Since it apparently got lost somehow, I'll say it again. Only one SOCON team? What a joke. Mark my words, there will be two, consisting of one of three teams, Appy, Elon, and Furman. Count on it.xnodxxthumbsupxxrulesx

soccerguy315
October 11th, 2009, 02:04 PM
So, it's come down to deleting posts you don't like now? xlolxxlolxHow very Maoist of you guys.xcoffeex

Since it apparently got lost somehow, I'll say it again. Only one SOCON team? What a joke. Mark my words, there will be two, consisting of one of three teams, Appy, Elon, and Furman. Count on it.xnodxxthumbsupxxrulesx

there is post #45 by you complaining about 1 SOCON team.

Did you make another one that got deleted?

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2009, 02:22 PM

Death Dealer...what the frick are you talking about? I already got that you called me a hater. I didn't complain nor do I have the ability to delete posts that call me such words. If I did, half the TXST threads would be gone! xlolx

WestCoastAggie
October 11th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Unlikely that Southland and the MEAC will each get two teams into the playoffs.

More likely that Great West and/or the Big Sky will get an at-large bid.

Yep. Kinda have to agree especially if EWU's appeal goes through and Morgan St. can F* everything up!

The Cal Poly-UC Davis will be a play-in game of sorts.

Thanks to Tenn. St and Jax. St. the OVC can kiss an At-Large good-bye.

'Gate better beat HC in 2 weeks to get the AQ because Brown killed the PL's At-Large Chances.

FAMU/SCSU should be a favorite for FCS Game of the Week. It will be like a playoff game in O-burg. Wish I was going and then party in the Armory afterwards. xnodx

There are going to be 2-3 pissed off CAA Teams (including 1 who defeated a FBS team) because they were left out the playoffs.

At-Large Predictions:
UNH
'Nova
W&M
SDSU
SIU
App. St.
SF Austin
EWI*
FAMU/SCSU**

* If their appeal is granted
**If EWU's appeal is granted

NOTE: Delaware can leapfrog EWU & FAMU/SCSU if they can win 4 of their next 5 games, including a W over either Navy or 'Nova.

WestCoastAggie
October 11th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I agree. Would help OOC scheduling if conferences scheduled a weekend where you play the other conferences teams based on conference standings from the year before

LU vs. SCSU
G-W vs. FAMU
CCU vs. Hampton

etc.

Could also give good matchups in the "bigger" conferences. UNI/Montana and SIU/Weber, anyone?

If these match-ups would happen, The lines would be close.
Pt. Spreads with BSU teams @ Home lines created using sagrin rankings from 10-11-09

Hampton - 43.11
CCU - 46.38 (CCU -3)

FAMU - 55.45
GWU - 48.17 (FAMU +7)

SCSU - 58.97
LU - 57.05 (Pick-Em)

BTW: These match-ups should happen ASAP! xnodx

Bill Hanson
October 11th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Death Dealer...what the frick are you talking about? I already got that you called me a hater. I didn't complain nor do I have the ability to delete posts that call me such words. If I did, half the TXST threads would be gone! xlolx

The good half already have been deleted.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

darell1976
October 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Maybe its the records but i don't understand this:

1 PAC-10 (A) = 79.05 78.75 ( 2) 10
2 SOUTHEASTERN (A) = 78.92 78.98 ( 1) 12
3 ATLANTIC COAST (A) = 76.07 76.47 ( 3) 12
4 BIG EAST (A) = 75.39 75.02 ( 5) 8
5 BIG 12 (A) = 75.29 75.27 ( 4) 12
6 BIG TEN (A) = 74.66 74.46 ( 6) 11
7 I-A INDEPENDENTS (A) = 72.30 71.37 ( 7) 3
8 MOUNTAIN WEST (A) = 69.83 69.75 ( 8) 9
9 WESTERN ATHLETIC (A) = 66.97 68.05 ( 9) 9
10 CONFERENCE USA (A) = 65.00 64.79 ( 10) 12
11 SUN BELT (A) = 62.32 61.95 ( 12) 9
12 MID-AMERICAN (A) = 62.28 62.53 ( 11) 13
13 COLONIAL (AA)= 60.26 59.56 ( 13) 12
14 GREAT WEST (AA)= 55.95 56.03 ( 14) 5
15 BIG SKY (AA)= 54.75 54.80 ( 16) 9
16 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 54.58 54.97 ( 15) 9
17 SOUTHERN (AA)= 53.54 53.26 ( 17) 9
18 SOUTHLAND (AA)= 49.96 50.76 ( 18) 8
19 IVY LEAGUE (AA)= 47.83 47.50 ( 19) 8
20 BIG SOUTH (AA)= 45.56 45.24 ( 20) 7
21 PATRIOT LEAGUE (AA)= 44.63 43.92 ( 22) 7
22 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 43.91 45.03 ( 21) 9
23 MID-EASTERN (AA)= 42.45 42.99 ( 23) 10
24 SOUTHWESTERN (AA)= 40.43 40.34 ( 24) 10
25 NORTHEAST (AA)= 38.25 39.49 ( 25) 8
26 PIONEER (AA)= 32.58 32.61 ( 26) 10
27 I-AA INDEPENDENTS (AA)= 32.09 31.67 ( 27) 4
28 ***UNRATED*** (**)= -90.00 -90.00 ( 28) 1

And no teams considered for playoffs??
Is our conference underrated or what. Of course we aren't eligible til 2012.

Death Dealer
October 11th, 2009, 04:42 PM

OK. This is freaking me out a little, and maybe I'm just paranoid or something, but when you quote me, I see my post, but I can't see the original!!! Did I put myself on ignore?xeekxxconfusedxWTF???

Edit (as of 6 pm) : now I can see them! Something weird going on here.xeyebrowx

gophoenix
October 11th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Maybe its the records but i don't understand this:

1 PAC-10 (A) = 79.05 78.75 ( 2) 10
2 SOUTHEASTERN (A) = 78.92 78.98 ( 1) 12
3 ATLANTIC COAST (A) = 76.07 76.47 ( 3) 12
4 BIG EAST (A) = 75.39 75.02 ( 5) 8
5 BIG 12 (A) = 75.29 75.27 ( 4) 12
6 BIG TEN (A) = 74.66 74.46 ( 6) 11
7 I-A INDEPENDENTS (A) = 72.30 71.37 ( 7) 3
8 MOUNTAIN WEST (A) = 69.83 69.75 ( 8) 9
9 WESTERN ATHLETIC (A) = 66.97 68.05 ( 9) 9
10 CONFERENCE USA (A) = 65.00 64.79 ( 10) 12
11 SUN BELT (A) = 62.32 61.95 ( 12) 9
12 MID-AMERICAN (A) = 62.28 62.53 ( 11) 13
13 COLONIAL (AA)= 60.26 59.56 ( 13) 12
14 GREAT WEST (AA)= 55.95 56.03 ( 14) 5
15 BIG SKY (AA)= 54.75 54.80 ( 16) 9
16 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 54.58 54.97 ( 15) 9
17 SOUTHERN (AA)= 53.54 53.26 ( 17) 9
18 SOUTHLAND (AA)= 49.96 50.76 ( 18) 8
19 IVY LEAGUE (AA)= 47.83 47.50 ( 19) 8
20 BIG SOUTH (AA)= 45.56 45.24 ( 20) 7
21 PATRIOT LEAGUE (AA)= 44.63 43.92 ( 22) 7
22 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 43.91 45.03 ( 21) 9
23 MID-EASTERN (AA)= 42.45 42.99 ( 23) 10
24 SOUTHWESTERN (AA)= 40.43 40.34 ( 24) 10
25 NORTHEAST (AA)= 38.25 39.49 ( 25) 8
26 PIONEER (AA)= 32.58 32.61 ( 26) 10
27 I-AA INDEPENDENTS (AA)= 32.09 31.67 ( 27) 4
28 ***UNRATED*** (**)= -90.00 -90.00 ( 28) 1

And no teams considered for playoffs??
Is our conference underrated or what. Of course we aren't eligible til 2012.

That is interesting to see. No idea why that is. But sometimes top conference doesn't translate to top teams, just means balanced top to bottom in conference.

darell1976
October 11th, 2009, 05:51 PM
That is interesting to see. No idea why that is. But sometimes top conference doesn't translate to top teams, just means balanced top to bottom in conference.

Thats probably it.

eastbayaggie
October 11th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Just for kicks and giggles, here is the playoff prognostications according to the world of Sagarin on 10/10.

Rankings

1. Richmond 5-0
2. Montana 5-0
3. Northern Iowa 5-1
4. Villanova 5-1
5. William & Mary 5-1
6. New Hampshire 5-0
7. Elon 5-1
8. Jacksonville State 4-2
9. Delaware 4-2
10. South Dakota State 4-1
11. Southern Illinois 4-1
12. Massachusetts 3-2
13. Northern Arizona 3-2
14. Central Arkansas 4-1
15. Stephen F. Austin 4-1
16. Cal Poly-SLO 2-3
17. James Madison 2-3
18. Weber State 3-3
19. UC Davis 2-3
20. SC State 4-1
21. McNeese State 3-2
22. Eastern Washington 4-2
23. Montana State 3-2
24. Furman 3-2
25. Appalachian State 3-2
26. Harvard 3-1
27. Liberty 3-2
28. Georgia Southern 3-3
29. Florida A&M 4-1
30. North Dakota 3-2

Automatic Bids

Big Sky #2 Montana
Colonial #1 Richmond
MEAC #20 SC State
MVFC #3 Northern Iowa
OVC #8 Jacksonville State
Patriot (UNR) Colgate
SoCon #7 Elon
Southland #14 Central Arkansas

At-Large

#4 Villanova
#5 William & Mary
#6 New Hampshire
#9 Delaware
#10 South Dakota State
#11 Southern Illinois
#12 Massachusetts
#13 Northern Arizona

Bubble Teams

#15 Stephen F. Austin
#16 Cal Poly SLO
#17 James Madison
#18 Weber State
#19 UC Davis

darell1976
October 11th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Just for kicks and giggles, here is the playoff prognostications according to the world of Sagarin on 10/10.

Rankings

1. Richmond 5-0
2. Montana 5-0
3. Northern Iowa 5-1
4. Villanova 5-1
5. William & Mary 5-1
6. New Hampshire 5-0
7. Elon 5-1
9. Delaware 4-2
12. Massachusetts 3-2
13. Northern Arizona 3-2
14. Central Arkansas 4-1
16. Cal Poly-SLO 2-3
17. James Madison 2-3
18. Weber State 3-3
19. UC Davis 2-3
20. SC State 4-1
21. McNeese State 3-2
23. Montana State 3-2
24. Furman 3-2
26. Harvard 3-1
27. Liberty 3-2
28. Georgia Southern 3-3
29. Florida A&M 4-1
30. North Dakota 3-2

Automatic Bids

Big Sky #2 Montana
Colonial #1 Richmond
MEAC #20 SC State
MVFC #3 Northern Iowa
Patriot (UNR) Colgate
SoCon #7 Elon

At-Large

#4 Villanova
#5 William & Mary
#6 New Hampshire
#9 Delaware
#10 South Dakota State
#11 Southern Illinois
#12 Massachusetts
#13 Northern Arizona

Bubble Teams

#15 Stephen F. Austin
#16 Cal Poly SLO
#17 James Madison
#18 Weber State
#19 UC Davis

We are close only 3 years and 17 spots away. GO SIOUX!!:D

WestCoastAggie
October 11th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Northern Arizona is not getting into the playoffs!

ToTheLeft
October 11th, 2009, 06:35 PM

And why is that?

WestCoastAggie
October 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM
And why is that?

See EWU & App. St.

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2009, 07:15 PM

Rankings

1. Richmond 5-0
2. Montana 5-0
3. Northern Iowa 5-1
4. Villanova 5-1
5. William & Mary 5-1
6. New Hampshire 5-0
7. Elon 5-1
9. Delaware 4-2
12. Massachusetts 3-2
13. Northern Arizona 3-2
14. Central Arkansas 4-1
16. Cal Poly-SLO 2-3
17. James Madison 2-3
18. Weber State 3-3
19. UC Davis 2-3
20. SC State 4-1
21. McNeese State 3-2
23. Montana State 3-2
24. Furman 3-2
26. Harvard 3-1
27. Liberty 3-2
28. Georgia Southern 3-3
29. Florida A&M 4-1
30. North Dakota 3-2

Automatic Bids

Big Sky #2 Montana
Colonial #1 Richmond
MEAC #20 SC State
MVFC #3 Northern Iowa
Patriot (UNR) Colgate
SoCon #7 Elon

At-Large

#4 Villanova
#5 William & Mary
#6 New Hampshire
#9 Delaware
#10 South Dakota State
#11 Southern Illinois
#12 Massachusetts
#13 Northern Arizona

Bubble Teams

#15 Stephen F. Austin
#16 Cal Poly SLO
#17 James Madison
#18 Weber State
#19 UC Davis

UCA is not eligible. Next year...so, SFA the AQ.

JackFan
October 11th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Ok here we go again…somebody else has a problem with our guys getting some notice. Last week somebody had a problem with the SEL computer giving our guys a #7 raking in the Gridiron Power Index, now after a week which our guys beat a team(montana state) nobody had a problem with as far as being dubbed a playoff caliber team, again our guys are questioned.

Here is my justification, we beat Southern Utah a team that rammed Texas State a team people had admiration for, we beat Montana State a team that beat Weber State and Weber beat Eastern Washington. We also took Montana to OT, so what is it that our guys have to do to just be accepted (beat ole miss on nov 7 WHICH WILL NOT HAPPEN) just wondering what it is about people feeling that NAU is not deserving of mention in any kind of ranking or playoff talk, is it just flat out lack of knowledge of who NAU is or what??? Everyone has a right to their opinion, Just curious why others feel the way they do about our guys.

WestCoastAggie
October 11th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Ok here we go again…somebody else has a problem with our guys getting some notice. Last week somebody had a problem with the SEL computer giving our guys a #7 raking in the Gridiron Power Index, now after a week which our guys beat a team(montana state) nobody had a problem with as far as being dubbed a playoff caliber team, again our guys are questioned.

Here is my justification, we beat Southern Utah a team that rammed Texas State a team people had admiration for, we beat Montana State a team that beat Weber State and Weber beat Eastern Washington. We also took Montana to OT, so what is it that our guys have to do to just be accepted (beat ole miss on nov 7 WHICH WILL NOT HAPPEN) just wondering what it is about people feeling that NAU is not deserving of mention in any kind of ranking or playoff talk, is it just flat out lack of knowledge of who NAU is or what??? Everyone has a right to their opinion, Just curious why others feel the way they do about our guys.

If NAU wins the rest of their games and has a better resume than Weber St. & UD, they will get in. xthumbsupx

McNeese75
October 11th, 2009, 07:47 PM
UCA is not eligible. Next year...so, SFA the AQ.

I would not be surprised if SFA loses twice in conference (although that may still be good enough for the AQ) and I really doubt they take the title outright.

DX Man
October 11th, 2009, 08:15 PM
MEAC with 2 teams in and the SoCon with only 1? LOL

Ud1Hens
October 11th, 2009, 08:38 PM
If NAU wins the rest of their games and has a better resume than Weber St. & UD, they will get in. xthumbsupx

If NAU wins the rest of their games of course they'd get in. Losses to Arizona and Montana, 9-2 overall record and a WIN over Ole Miss. I doubt they win that one though

BEAR
October 11th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I hate this 5 year purgatory transition period! ...so do the coaches! xmadxxmadxxmadxxmadxxnonono2x

bigskyrocks
October 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM
not sure how much this affects anything, but the big sky has had 2 teams in the playoffs 9 out of the last 10 yrs. so if NAU can keep winning i can see them getting in. imo the big sky is a better balanced conference this yr. NAU, EWU, Mont. St, Weber st., and of course montana are all capable of winning the big sky. Unfortunaly for EWU and Weber they have to go through missoula not impossible but definately not easy.

DOME
October 12th, 2009, 11:57 AM
They would find a way to make New Hampshire travel to Northern Iowa.

You say that like it is a bad thing xsmiley_wix

UNHFan99
October 12th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I think Richmond and UNH are going to run the table and be ranked #1 and #2 respectively going into the playoffs. I also think both will be seeds and nova, william and mary, and either Delaware or Umass are in. At least 5 CAA teams in.

It happens every year and everyone complains, but the fact is it happens every year.

El Gato
October 12th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I hate this 5 year purgatory transition period! ...so do the coaches! xmadxxmadxxmadxxmadxxnonono2x

Got to say, that sucks for you guys.

AshevilleApp2
October 12th, 2009, 12:15 PM
There's no way a qualifying App team is left out. Too much history, too much potential and too good of attendance. I even dare say that they'll host a game.

If we get in, we'll host a game. It's all about the $$$.

AshevilleApp2
October 12th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I think Richmond and UNH are going to run the table and be ranked #1 and #2 respectively going into the playoffs. I also think both will be seeds and nova, william and mary, and either Delaware or Umass are in. At least 5 CAA teams in.

It happens every year and everyone complains, but the fact is it happens every year.

As long as every year is 2007 and 2008. xsmiley_wix

Silenoz
October 12th, 2009, 12:29 PM
It would be interesting if we run the table, and end up with the best record in all of FCS for the fourth straight year, and seed no higher than 3rd again. Not saying Richmond/UNH/UNI wouldn't deserve the top spots, but it would also explain O'Day's sudden change of heart as far as scheduling marquee FCS programs

89Hen
October 12th, 2009, 12:55 PM
At-Large
South Carolina State
Eastern Kentucky
MEAC and OVC with at-large bids? Come on TT. xcoolx

89Hen
October 12th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Last week somebody had a problem with the SEL computer giving our guys a #7 raking
It was me and I don't think I was alone. xpeacex

Big Dawg
October 12th, 2009, 12:57 PM
MEAC and OVC with at-large bids? Come on TT. xcoolx

Very possible...I think it happens if FAMU wins the MEAC with a 10-1 record and SCSU finishes as the runner-up with a 9-2 record.

89Hen
October 12th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Very possible...I think it happens if FAMU wins the MEAC with a 10-1 record and SCSU finishes as the runner-up with a 9-2 record.
SCSt would be 0-1 vs Top 25 teams. xcoolx

IaaScribe
October 12th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Nope. SC State has one chance for a quality win, and that's against FAMU. Grambling isn't doing the Bulldogs any favors. Like it or not, that is probably a playoff play-in game.

uofmman1122
October 12th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Bubble Teams
Delaware/Montana State/Weber State (needs to win 4 of 5 to get seven)I still think NAU has the best shot at making the playoffs from the BSC. Their only losses have been to Arizona and #3 Montana in OT. They can lose another conference game, and still make the 7-win requirement.

89Hen
October 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I still think NAU has the best shot at making the playoffs from the BSC. Their only losses have been to Arizona and #3 Montana in OT. They can lose another conference game, and still make the 7-win requirement.
I don't think 7-4 gets them in. They have a loss to Ole Miss yet remaining.

uofmman1122
October 12th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I don't think 7-4 gets them in. They have a loss to Ole Miss yet remaining.I don't think it will, either, so they'd better beat EWU and WSU.

B&G
October 12th, 2009, 01:47 PM

If a MEAC team wants to get taken seriously for an At Large Bid, then they need to work on their OOC schedules. Losing respectably to a FBS school isn't going to cut it. Nor does beating a D2 school. It's going to take scheduling something with some top teams from the power conferences. This is something I know MEAC officials are interested in as they have been trying to get games versus SoCon foes.

Or it will take a couple of years with wins in the playoffs.

Houndawg
October 12th, 2009, 02:32 PM
If a MEAC team wants to get taken seriously for an At Large Bid, then they need to work on their OOC schedules. Losing respectably to a FBS school isn't going to cut it. Nor does beating a D2 school. It's going to take scheduling something with some top teams from the power conferences. This is something I know MEAC officials are interested in as they have been trying to get games versus SoCon foes.

Hampton had a home and home with SIU.

B&G
October 12th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Hampton had a home and home with SIU.

They did... but they had to win in order for it to help.

WestCoastAggie
October 12th, 2009, 02:41 PM

I swear people love beating old drums. BTW: SC State & FAMU have been earning respect.xcoffeex

gophoenix
October 12th, 2009, 02:55 PM

We played both A&T and Delaware State for something like 5 years running.

This was in both good and bad years for us.

B&G
October 12th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I swear people love beating old drums. BTW: SC State & FAMU have been earning respect.xcoffeex

I support the MEAC. Going to the SCSU-FAMU game this weekend in fact. But level with me... what is the best OOC win by any MEAC team within the past three years?

ToTheLeft
October 12th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Delaware State over Coastal has to be one of the better ones, and that was the beginning of the end for the Coastal dynasty...

jmufan999
October 12th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Liberty's loss to JMU is looking more and more like a black mark

give me a rematch in good weather right now and we'll win by at least 2 TD's... WITH Thorpe at QB.

89Hen
October 12th, 2009, 03:33 PM
A couple? How about just one. xrulesx

89Hen
October 12th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Can you blame them? SCSt and FAMU are the ones playing old schedules. xcoffeex

ToTheLeft
October 12th, 2009, 03:40 PM
give me a rematch in good weather right now and we'll win by at least 2 TD's... WITH Thorpe at QB.

Thorpe did nothing against us. NOTHING. He was a scrub. I would gladly take that rematch. Especially with good weather and us actually able to pass the ball. You saw how we dominated your terrible pass D in the monsoon. Imagine on dry land...

DSUrocks07
October 12th, 2009, 03:47 PM

In what way though? "Respectable" losses to FBS teams? There are teams at the FCS level who have beaten FBS squads or have come pretty damn close to. (I still believe that UNI's performance against Iowa is the most successful showing for an FCS squad this year.) Not only is our conference not playing the games it has too but it is also not winning in the opportunities it has as well. (i.e. Hampton a couple years back against SIU)

Yes it is possible for the MEAC to get an at-large berth but in my eyes that team has to be FAMU. They will have the Miami preformance and Tennessee State at a neutral site. (Who beat #20 EKU on the road), now they will need some help to get in starting with Tennessee State winning the OVC (either a share or outright) some of the other contenders falling by the wayside and a close loss to SC State this weekend. But I think that they will have a better shot than the Bulldogs.

Listen I'm a MEAC guy to the core but the hard truth is SC State hasn't really played anyone this year, and that Grambling win is losing its luster very quickly. This 9-game mandate for the MEAC is destorying our strength of schedule, we need a divisional split and we need it yesterday. Even with only 10 teams.

SC State is a very good team, and I feel that they will make some noise in the playoffs, but I also feel that they NEED the autobid to get in. FAMU has some wiggle room but if the Dogs don't win the conference title this year then they'll be sitting at home.

WestCoastAggie
October 12th, 2009, 03:48 PM

If we win these Playoff Games, which I believe we will this year, this "scheduling" thing wouldn't be an issue.

BTW: the MEAC scheduled Towson, Coastal Carolina, UC Davis, W&M, UD, Georgetown, Grambling State, Tenn. State and believe it or not, NC Central is in the MEAC now.

People forget that the MEAC has a 9 game schedule now. The Sooner we split like the CAA, the better we will be. xnodx

WestCoastAggie
October 12th, 2009, 03:49 PM
In what way though? "Respectable" losses to FBS teams? There are teams at the FCS level who have beaten FBS squads or have come pretty damn close to. (I still believe that UNI's performance against Iowa is the most successful showing for an FCS squad this year.) Not only is our conference not playing the games it has too but it is also not winning in the opportunities it has as well. (i.e. Hampton a couple years back against SIU)

Yes it is possible for the MEAC to get an at-large berth but in my eyes that team has to be FAMU. They will have the Miami preformance and Tennessee State at a neutral site. (Who beat #20 EKU on the road), now they will need some help to get in starting with Tennessee State winning the OVC (either a share or outright) some of the other contenders falling by the wayside and a close loss to SC State this weekend. But I think that they will have a better shot than the Bulldogs.

Listen I'm a MEAC guy to the core but the hard truth is SC State hasn't really played anyone this year, and that Grambling win is losing its luster very quickly. This 9-game mandate for the MEAC is destorying our strength of schedule, we need a divisional split and we need it yesterday. Even with only 10 teams.

SC State is a very good team, and I feel that they will make some noise in the playoffs, but I also feel that they NEED the autobid to get in. FAMU has some wiggle room but if the Dogs don't win the conference title this year then they'll be sitting at home.

That FAMU resume isn't looking that great either. We need a CONFERENCE SPLIT ASAP! We are too big!

Big Dawg
October 12th, 2009, 03:50 PM

xconfusedx

DSUrocks07
October 12th, 2009, 03:59 PM
xconfusedx

Yeah I'm a little confused too. Do you mean "old" as in traditional 89? (i.e. Classics and old rivalries with D2s?)

B&G
October 12th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Is the MEAC definitely waiting on 12 teams to do the split?

What teams would be the needed two? Savannah St and someone else?

If y'all get 12 teams, do you think you will still try to go to the playoffs or will you hold a MEAC Championship game and try to have MEAC & SWAC winners play in postseason?

Maroons
October 12th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Villanova
William & Mary
South Carolina State
South Dakota State
Southern Illinois
Eastern Kentucky
McNeese State

I have to agree that I don't see 2 OVC teams making the playoffs this year. JSU's inelgibility eliminates the team that appears to be the strongest. Only the OVC AQ will go to the playoffs, though there are still many interesting twists and turns that race may take. TSU has the easiest route, however, as they do not have to play JSU at all this season.

DSUrocks07
October 12th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Is the MEAC definitely waiting on 12 teams to do the split?

What teams would be the needed two? Savannah St and someone else?

If y'all get 12 teams, do you think you will still try to go to the playoffs or will you hold a MEAC Championship game and try to have MEAC & SWAC winners play in postseason?

Word is that the original plan involved bringing in Winston-Salem along with NCCU and Savannah. But with WSSU deciding to return to the CIAA and the conference dragging its feet on the Savannah State issue its starting to look like the Eagles will be the only ones joining the MEAC for the forseeable future. The NCAA requires that only divisional split conferences with 12 teams can have a conference title game that will not count as a regular season game nor go against the rule of only one postseason championsip matchup. (So in that case, the CAA could have a championship game in this manner.) The problem is is that since the playoffs start the week after the regular season ends, the logistics of holding one are impossible if the conference winner intended to be a part of the playoffs. (Hence the SWAC not being a part of the playoffs yet holding the SCG every year). Without WSSU in the MEAC, we would have an unbalanced conference were SSU to join as well. And there are no other FCS independents to choose from. So either the MEAC would have to persuade Coppin or UMES to restart football, or exist as an 11 team conference with a 5-6 or 6-5 north south split. But regardless of that, the actual split is necessary and what really matters at this point, even if we would be like the SWAC with the 5-5 format.

89Hen
October 12th, 2009, 04:33 PM
If we win these Playoff Games, which I believe we will this year, this "scheduling" thing wouldn't be an issue.

BTW: the MEAC scheduled Towson, Coastal Carolina, UC Davis, W&M, UD, Georgetown, Grambling State, Tenn. State and believe it or not, NC Central is in the MEAC now.
Coastal, W&M and UD were losses. Wins were Towson and Georgetown, the two worst teams in their respective conferences. UC Davis has yet to be played. GSU and TSU are regulars. Your two best teams this year each played a I-A and an HBCU. That's really nothing new is it?

89Hen
October 12th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Yeah I'm a little confused too. Do you mean "old" as in traditional 89? (i.e. Classics and old rivalries with D2s?)
Yes. If the MEAC wants respect there are only two ways to earn it:

1. Win playoff games
2. Schedule and beat teams from other autobid conferences (no, G'town and Towson don't count).

DSUrocks07
October 12th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Yes. If the MEAC wants respect there are only two ways to earn it:

1. Win playoff games
2. Schedule and beat teams from other autobid conferences (no, G'town and Towson don't count).

But therein lies the "catch-22". Those classics and traditional rivalries that some in the MEAC play are huge moneymakers for their programs. (Norfolk-VA State, FAMU-Tenn State, A&T-WSSU). It just becomes a question of where the MEAC as a conference wants to go in the FCS world. Delaware State seems to be committed (playing UD, and dropping a conference game to play scUM) SC State as well (dropping D2 Benedict to play Grambling) its this damn 9-game requirement that's killing us. DSU's OOCs are UDxthumbsupx, UMxthumbsupx, and WSSU xmadx Open up our schedules and I can guarantee that those in the conference that are committed to the playoff system will schedule accordingly. A divisional split right now with a 7-game slate will give up 4 spots to fill OOC (and 5 OOCs in 12 game years.) Would be perfect in my eyes.

Big Dawg
October 12th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Coastal, W&M and UD were losses. Wins were Towson and Georgetown, the two worst teams in their respective conferences. UC Davis has yet to be played. GSU and TSU are regulars. Your two best teams this year each played a I-A and an HBCU. That's really nothing new is it?

But TSU is a rivalry game and won't be going anywhere. Trust me, we wanna play teams from other conferences but it's tough to make that happen.

Fear the Bird
October 13th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Not sure if this has been discussed on this site before but I stumbled across an interesting web site that updates each week like bracketology on ESPN.com for March Madness what the playoff bracket might look like and here is one man's take as of today:

(1) Richmond (CAA) vs. Elon (SoCon) in Richmond
Applachian St. (At-Large) vs. Tennessee St. (OVC) in Boone

(4) New Hampshire (AL) vs. Colgate (Patriot) in Durham
So. Ill (AL) vs. Villanova (AL) in Carbondale

(2) Northern Iowa (MVC) vs. N. Arizona (AL) in Cedar Falls
Delaware (AL) vs. Stephen F. Austin (Southland) in Newark xthumbsupx

(3) Montana (Big Sky) vs. South Dakota St. (AL) in Missoula
William & Mary (AL) vs. South Carolina St. (MEAC) in Williamsburg

First four out: UMass, McNeese St., Weber St., Cal Poly
Next four out: Furman, FAMU, Youngstown St., Chattanooga

JMUNJ08
October 13th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Cal-Poly first 4 out at 2-3? Where is JMU then?

Elon at Richmond? Tough but you do have the travel limitations...

Otherwise looks rather enticingxthumbsupx

mcveyrl
October 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Not sure if this has been discussed on this site before but I stumbled across an interesting web site that updates each week like bracketology on ESPN.com for March Madness what the playoff bracket might look like and here is one man's take as of today:

(1) Richmond (CAA) vs. Elon (SoCon) in Richmond
Applachian St. (At-Large) vs. Tennessee St. (OVC) in Boone

(4) New Hampshire (AL) vs. Colgate (Patriot) in Durham
So. Ill (AL) vs. Villanova (AL) in Carbondale

(2) Northern Iowa (MVC) vs. N. Arizona (AL) in Cedar Falls
Delaware (AL) vs. Stephen F. Austin (Southland) in Newark xthumbsupx

(3) Montana (Big Sky) vs. South Dakota St. (AL) in Missoula
William & Mary (AL) vs. South Carolina St. (MEAC) in Williamsburg

First four out: UMass, McNeese St., Weber St., Cal Poly
Next four out: Furman, FAMU, Youngstown St., Chattanooga

If those are the matchups, then I'm not so sure W&M doesn't travel to SCSU.

I think if you compare the two remaining schedules you'll see why...

JMUNJ08
October 13th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Never said JMU should be in the discussion just that at 2-3 they could have mentioned a slew more of teams that might be more deserving in there top 8 out.

Squealofthepig
October 13th, 2009, 02:50 PM

JMU:
Villanova
@W&M
@Delaware
Maine
@UMass
Towson

Cal Poly:
Southern Utah
Dixie State
@North Dakota
@UC Davis
South Dakota
@Weber State

There's another thread devoted to JMU's remaining schedule - gotta admit it looks just a mite bit tougher than Cal Poly. (The Montana homer in me does not want to face them again in the playoffs!)

Native
October 13th, 2009, 02:51 PM

Cal poly must win out to get even the minimum seven DI wins. To this end, they must beat Southern Utah and South Dakota at home, and UC Davis, North Dakota and Weber on the road.

A tough gauntlet, but even with the 7 wins, there is no guarantee that CP will get an at-large invitation. As it is, the Mustangs are already on the bubble, ranked 18th on the GPI index.

Tough year for the Great West. SUU and UC Davis are in the same boat as Cal Poly, except that they are considerably lower on the GPI.

Native
October 13th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I see some posts giving the patriot an at-large or bubble position.

No way in hades that the Patriot gets an at-large bid. As it is, without the auto-bid, they would not even get in to the playoffs based on conference leader Colgate being ranked 27th in the GPI.

The Patriot's participation provides an easy cupcake opponent and decided playoff advantage for a seeded east coast team.

GannonFan
October 13th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I see some posts giving the patriot an at-large or bubble position.

No way in hades that the Patriot gets an at-large bid. As it is, without the auto-bid, they would not even get in to the playoffs based on conference leader Colgate being ranked 27th in the GPI.

The Patriot's participation provides an easy cupcake opponent and decided playoff advantage for a seeded east coast team.

And the OVC does the same for a seeded West Coast team. Seems pretty even to me - heck, the Patriot has even won some playoff games since the last time an OVC team won a playoff game so it may be skewed a little bit then. xthumbsupx

Native
October 13th, 2009, 03:43 PM
And the OVC does the same for a seeded West Coast team. Seems pretty even to me - heck, the Patriot has even won some playoff games since the last time an OVC team won a playoff game so it may be skewed a little bit then. xthumbsupx

Point taken, and is especially true this year because Jacksonville State, at #9 on this week's GPI, is ineligible. The next highest OVC team is Eastern Kentucky at #40, followed by Eastern Illinois, at #41.

It is also less likely that the Great West gets a team in the post season this year, since all three potential candidates (CP, SUU, UCD) are already right on the bubble and must win out even to get to the minimum seven wins, which means that the OVC or Southland is the most likely first round matchup for the Big Sky auto-bid.

Native
October 13th, 2009, 04:05 PM
At-Large
New Hampshire
Villanova
William & Mary
South Carolina State
South Dakota State
Southern Illinois
Eastern Kentucky
McNeese State

CAA is a lock for four and probably five playoff spots, but not six. It is highly unlikely that any other conference can get more than two teams into the post-season.

It is possible but not probable that the MVFC can get three teams into the post-season. The third team is not likely to be in the top 20 on the GPI by the end of the season. UNI and SIU are rightfully in the top ten on the Gridiron Power Index, but South Dakota State maybe not so much, having already lost to Cal Poly. In any case, three top 20's is not likely, considereing that they all have yet to play each other. SDSU would most likely have to beat either UNI or SIU to get to eight DI wins. Likewise, SIU would have to beat either UNI or SDSU to obtain eight DI victories.

With Jacksonville State out of the playoff picture, it is preposterous that the OVC could get two teams into the post-season. The second team will not even be in the top 35 of the GPI, and they would need to be in the top 20 or so.

MEAC might just pull off getting two teams in this year, if the other conferences eat their own, or might not, depending on the GPI of the at-large candidate. South Carolina State is currently 13th in the GPI, followed by Florida A&M at 24th.

I think SOCON gets a second at-large, but if they eat their own they could lose out to another conference this year, especially after McNeese beat Appy in Boone. If either Appy or Elon wins out to win the conference championship, the second-place SOCON team will be in a weak position relative to the GPI, and could fall out of consideration if beaten by more than one conference opponent. With 5 DI wins in the bag, Elon is in pretty good shape. With only 3 DI wins to date, Appy is in a less secure position.

Southland might get an at-large bid, due mostly to McNeese going into Boone and taking one away from the Mountaineers, but the performance of Central Arkansas hurts SLC chances by taking a higher GPI ranking and pushing the others even farther down the GPI list when they lose to the Bears in conference play. Having already lost to SFA, McNeese could cement the at-large by beating Central Arkansas in their last game of the season, as long as they do not stumble a couple of times between now and then.

Unless Northern Arizona and Montana State and Weber all fall on their sword the rest of the season and Cal Poly wins out, beating Weber at home on the last regular season game, it is not probable that the Big Sky will be denied an at-large bid. If the other conferences do sufficient damage to each other in conference play, and if Eastern Washington obliges by beating Montana and losing to Northern Arizona, it is even possible that the BSC could get three teams to the post season. But the Big Sky chances of getting a second at-large invitation are no greater than the chances of MVFC, probably less.

CamelCityAppFan
October 13th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I think SOCON gets a second at-large, but if they eat their own they could lose out to another conference this year, especially after McNeese beat Appy in Boone. If either Appy or Elon wins out to win the conference championship, the second-place SOCON team will be in a weak position relative to the GPI, and could fall out of consideration if beaten by more than one conference opponent.

I think this is largely correct, which makes winning the conference much more important this year than perhaps it has been that last few years.

I think if Elon wins the conference and App is second (and qualifies), App stands a better chance at an at-large than Elon does if the roles are reversed. App's recent playoff success-- both in terms of on-field play, and in hosting playoff games-- gives them the edge for an at-large. I know a lot of fans will think that is unfair (and perhaps it is), but it's foolish to pretend that those factors do not come in to play when the playoff committee meets.

Native
October 13th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I think this is largely correct, which makes winning the conference much more important this year than perhaps it has been that last few years.

I think if Elon wins the conference and App is second (and qualifies), App stands a better chance at an at-large than Elon does if the roles are reversed. App's recent playoff success-- both in terms of on-field play, and in hosting playoff games-- gives them the edge for an at-large. I know a lot of fans will think that is unfair (and perhaps it is), but it's foolish to pretend that those factors do not come in to play when the playoff committee meets.

Both Elon and Appy are in a pretty good situation. Elon already has 5 DI wins and has 5 DI games remaining. Appy only has 3 DI wins but has 6 DI games remaining. The wheels would really have to come off for the SOCON runner-up not to get an at-large bid. Highly unlikely, but not impossible.

Jackman
October 13th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I think the 5th best CAA team will finish the season 7-4, and for them to make the playoffs it's going to have to be another situation like the last two years where the other major conferences didn't produce enough (eligible) teams with better records to use up all the at large spots.

But if Delaware (or Maine) finishes 7-4, they probably can't pull that off because they'll only have 6 wins against Division I competition. UMass and JMU would be the leading contenders for a 7-4 selection if the rest of FCS cooperates by beating themselves, particularly JMU since they'll need to beat multiple ranked teams just to get to 7 wins, let alone 8.

Bison_Kent
October 13th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Based on the GPI, this is what I have as the field:

1. Richmond (1.25) CAA
2. Northern Iowa (2.13) MVFC
3. Montana (2.75) BSC
4. New Hampshire (5.13) At-Large #1
5. Villanova (5.25) At-Large #2
6. William & Mary (5.50) At-Large #3
7. S Illinois (7.88) At-Large #4
8. Elon (8.63) SoCon
9. Jacksonville St (9.50) Ineligibable
10. S Dakota St (11.75) At-Large #5
11. Delaware (13.88) At-Large #6
12. Massachusetts (15.50) At-Large #7
13. S Carolina St (15.88) MEAC
14. Cent Arkansas (16.25) Ineligibable
15. SF Austin (16.75) Southland
16. Weber St (17.13) At-Large #8
17. N Arizona (17.38)
18. Cal Poly SLO (17.88)
19. Appalachian St (19.00)
20. James Madison (19.50)
21. E Washington (20.25) Ineligibable
22. McNeese St (21.13)
23. UC Davis (21.25)
24. Florida A&M (24.13)
25. Furman (24.25)
27. Colgate (25.38) Patriot
40. E Kentucky (34.63) OVC

Based on regionality, this is what I think the 1st round matchups would be:
EKU @ #1 Richmond
Weber St @ #2 Northern Iowa
SFA @ #3 Montana
Colgate @ #4 New Hampshire
Delaware @ Elon
SC St @ Villanova
UMass @ SIU
SDSU @ William & Mary

Ud1Hens
October 13th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Delaware @ Elon

Delaware won't play on the road when they draw over 12k more for a game.

PhoenixSupreme
October 13th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Delaware won't play on the road when they draw over 12k more for a game.

True...given Rhodes Stadium's capacity is 11,250 (minus the grass seating) I couldn't see Elon having a home game there considering other playoff teams' stadiums have larger capacities.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM
True...given Rhodes Stadium's capacity is 11,250 (minus the grass seating) I couldn't see Elon having a home game there considering other playoff teams' stadiums have larger capacities.

Elon would never get a home playoff game against Delaware (unless Elon is a seed), but there are plenty of playoff teams that Elon would have a chance to host against.

Ud1Hens
October 13th, 2009, 07:50 PM

Win out and a 10-1 Elon team should get a seed. Then you'd have 2 home games xsmiley_wix

Bison_Kent
October 13th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Basing how I believe it should be--on how the GPI shows the teams. Top 8 get home games in the 1st round. Top 4 get home games in the second round.

I agree, Delaware would likely be the host in that game but I keep it strictly on the GPI and then regionality.

PhoenixSupreme
October 13th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Win out and a 10-1 Elon team should get a seed. Then you'd have 2 home games xsmiley_wix

I was actually getting ready to edit my post to mention the seeding, but you beat me to it while I was posting on another thread xsmiley_wixxcoolx

Ud1Hens
October 13th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I agree, Delaware would likely be the host in that game but I keep it strictly on the GPI and then regionality.

That was fun when all 16 teams were seeded.

Fear the Bird
October 14th, 2009, 07:57 AM

Per the site creator, Cal Poly has the quality win over SDSU and their losses are against two FBS teams and Montana; so I guess he is saying Richmond/Montana cancel out, Hofstra is a worse loss than say Ohio U and an SDSU win is better than a Liberty win

GannonFan
October 14th, 2009, 12:46 PM
That was fun when all 16 teams were seeded.

Yeah, seeing how the seedings were manipulated to not take into account records and rather take into account where the NCAA wanted to play the games 8cough* Marshall *cough* was just a hoot! xrolleyesx

Bill Hanson
October 14th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Yeah, seeing how the seedings were manipulated to not take into account records and rather take into account where the NCAA wanted to play the games 8cough* Marshall *cough* was just a hoot! xrolleyesx

I know this has been brought up ad-nauseum, but it would sure take all of the BS about who should have played who out of the message boards if they still seeded each team.

GannonFan
October 14th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I know this has been brought up ad-nauseum, but it would sure take all of the BS about who should have played who out of the message boards if they still seeded each team.

Why? It didn't take any of the BS out of it back when they did seed. There were controversies galore as seeds would appear to be pulled out of mid-air. Obviously, if the seeding was done legitimately and was clearly objective and fair, that would be one thing. But it was never close to that back when they seeded all 16 so I'm not sure why you think seeding now wouldn't cause the same rifts and diagreements that happened back when they first did it. It didn't work before, hard to see that they've fixed it since. xpeacex

Bill Hanson
October 14th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Why? It didn't take any of the BS out of it back when they did seed. There were controversies galore as seeds would appear to be pulled out of mid-air. Obviously, if the seeding was done legitimately and was clearly objective and fair, that would be one thing. But it was never close to that back when they seeded all 16 so I'm not sure why you think seeding now wouldn't cause the same rifts and diagreements that happened back when they first did it. It didn't work before, hard to see that they've fixed it since. xpeacex

Well maybe they should just put all the teams into a hat and pull names. Atleast that way each team gets a shot?