PDA

View Full Version : where to put em now?

GreatAppSt
October 10th, 2009, 06:40 PM
last weeks poll

1. Richmond (52) 2359
2. Villanova (33) 2338
3. Northern Iowa (11) 2264
4. Montana (1) 2066
5. New Hampshire 1979
6. Southern Illinois 1852
7. William & Mary 1752
8. McNeese St. 1613
9. Elon 1567
10. Appalachian St. 1543
11. Central Arkansas 1500
12. Massachusetts 1264
13. Cal Poly 1227
14. James Madison 1085
15. Eastern Washington 912
16. South Carolina St. 845
17. Eastern Kentucky 826
18. South Dakota St. 785
19. Holy Cross 633
20. Jacksonville St. 604
21. Weber St. 552
22. Colgate 337
23. Florida A&M 314
24. Delaware 289
25. Furman 200

going to be interesting

gbhmt
October 10th, 2009, 06:42 PM
As for the top five, I'd just switch UNH and Nova.

uofmman1122
October 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I'm liking UNI at #1, but I don't know what to make of Richmond, Nova, UNH, and Montana.

Both UNH and Nova played well today, and I'm gonna put UNH ahead of Nova, Richmond played well enough to win, but I don't think they look as good as UNI. Montana played terribly at first, and then dominated in the second half against a good Poly team, but their weaknesses put them behind some of the other teams.

If I had to make a stab, I'd say

UNI
Richmond
UNH
Montana
Nova

SpidersSportsEditor
October 10th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Richmond hasn't always looked like a number one, but they have found a way to win every game for a full year now. Can't take them out of No. 1 until they lose.

uofmman1122
October 10th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Richmond hasn't always looked like a number one, but they have found a way to win every game for a full year now. Can't take them out of No. 1 until they lose.Well, with the playoff seedings in mind, being #2 is just as good as being #1. You get homefield all the way to Nooga.

NHwildEcat
October 10th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Richmond hasn't always looked like a number one, but they have found a way to win every game for a full year now. Can't take them out of No. 1 until they lose.

Why not? Just because they haven't lost doesn't mean they are playing better then everyone else.

rcny46
October 10th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I think we'll see the top 5 in this order: Richmond,UNI,Montana,UNH and Southern Illinois.

SpidersSportsEditor
October 10th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Why not? Just because they haven't lost doesn't mean they are playing better then everyone else.

Because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how you do it, it just matters that you get the win. They've beaten an FBS team this year and now beat a good JMU team. They've won 14 games in a row and return 18 starters from the National Championship team.

For the record, I'd have UNH at No. 2 flip flopped with Nova.

89Hen
October 10th, 2009, 07:24 PM
last weeks poll

1. Richmond (52) 2359
2. Villanova (33) 2338
4. Montana (1) 2066
I think that is the exact order I had my top four. I think....

1. Richmond
2. UNI
3. UNH
4. Montana

rcny46
October 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM
How would UNH jump over UNI and Montana,when those two teams were ranked ahead of UNH going into today,and won their respective games this afternoon? I just don't see the voters in the various polls placing UNH over either of them.

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM
If SFA beats McNeese...

They better be in the top 20. They are not on many polls right now, time to get them in! They burned the Pokes secondary through one half, held them to zero points as well which is incredible...

smallcollegefbfan
October 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM
last weeks poll

1. Richmond (52) 2359
2. Villanova (33) 2338
4. Montana (1) 2066
5. New Hampshire 1979
6. Southern Illinois 1852
7. William & Mary 1752
8. McNeese St. 1613
9. Elon 1567
10. Appalachian St. 1543
11. Central Arkansas 1500
12. Massachusetts 1264
13. Cal Poly 1227
14. James Madison 1085
15. Eastern Washington 912
16. South Carolina St. 845
17. Eastern Kentucky 826
18. South Dakota St. 785
19. Holy Cross 633
20. Jacksonville St. 604
21. Weber St. 552
22. Colgate 337
23. Florida A&M 314
24. Delaware 289
25. Furman 200

going to be interesting

Based on the current scores we know here is how I think the AGS top 10 is going to look.

1. Richmond
2. Northern Iowa
3. Montana
4. New Hampshire
5. Villanova or SIU
6. Southern Illinois or Villanova
7. William & Mary
8. Either Elon or McNeese State. MSU is behind right now.
9. Elon if MSU wins.
9 or 10. Appalachian State
10 or 11. Central Arkansas

smallcollegefbfan
October 10th, 2009, 07:54 PM
How would UNH jump over UNI and Montana,when those two teams were ranked ahead of UNH going into today,and won their respective games this afternoon? I just don't see the voters in the various polls placing UNH over either of them.

I don't see it either, which is why I put UNH behind them but when I vote I can already tell you I am going to have 1. Richmond 2. UNI 3. UNH. I think you guys are a great team.

smallcollegefbfan
October 10th, 2009, 07:55 PM
If SFA beats McNeese...

They better be in the top 20. They are not on many polls right now, time to get them in! They burned the Pokes secondary through one half, held them to zero points as well which is incredible...

I have SFA around #28 but if they win they are going in my top 20 for sure.

soccerguy315
October 10th, 2009, 08:08 PM

if UNH has the better body of work (a FBS win and a top 5 win) then they deserve to be ranked higher than teams who have a less impressive body of work (no FBS wins and no top 5 wins)

crunifan
October 10th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I personally have no problem and would understand UNH jumping UNI. They played and beat a better team than we did. But, I DO want UNI to be #2 for seeding purposes. Its the homer in me, haha.

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I have SFA around #28 but if they win they are going in my top 20 for sure.

Well - guess SFA is in your top 20. I have to look at it, but I am tempted to really boost them (perhaps even top 15). We'll see...

ravens
October 10th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Well - guess SFA is in your top 20. I have to look at it, but I am tempted to really boost them (perhaps even top 15). We'll see...

don't be getting all crazy xnonox

UNI Pike
October 10th, 2009, 09:59 PM
if UNH has the better body of work (a FBS win and a top 5 win) then they deserve to be ranked higher than teams who have a less impressive body of work (no FBS wins and no top 5 wins)

Winning against Villanova = something I would be proud of
Beating 0-6 Ball State is not something to brag about. Its like scoring with the fat ugly chick with three teeth.

Bill Hanson
October 10th, 2009, 10:01 PM

Come on. Really?

CDT_Wilson
October 10th, 2009, 10:01 PM

But was it a quality FBS team they got the win over? An FBS win shouldn't mean that much if the team isn't good. As we've seen the top FCS schools should be able to compete with #15 on down in the FBS. Ball state hasn't won a game all season. UNI could have played Iowa State and had a FBS win too.

UNHFootballAlum
October 10th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Winning against Villanova = something I would be proud of
Beating 0-6 Ball State is not something to brag about. Its like scoring with the fat ugly chick with three teeth.

In the eyes of the committe,Ball State is still an FBS win which they place a premium on

UNHFootballAlum
October 10th, 2009, 10:11 PM
But was it a quality FBS team they got the win over? An FBS win shouldn't mean that much if the team isn't good. As we've seen the top FCS schools should be able to compete with #15 on down in the FBS. Ball state hasn't won a game all season. UNI could have played Iowa State and had a FBS win too.

So are you saying that the UNH win over an FBS school is not as good as the UNI loss to an FBS team...REALLY?? In the standings it shows UNH as undefeated and UNI with 1 loss.

I am not advocating that UNH jump over UNI in the polls, but IMHO, your argument doesn't hold water

UNH Fanboi
October 10th, 2009, 10:12 PM
All I know is that UNI should be #1 and UNH should be above Montana. But neither of those things will happen in any poll because 99% percent of pollsters just take last year's playoff results and then shift teams down as they lose.

UNH Fanboi
October 10th, 2009, 10:13 PM
So are you saying that the UNH win over an FBS school is not as good as the UNI loss to an FBS team...REALLY?? In the standings it shows UNH as undefeated and UNI with 1 loss.

I am not advocating that UNH jump over UNI in the polls, but IMHO, your argument doesn't hold water

I don't think it's that crazy.

soccerguy315
October 10th, 2009, 10:20 PM

well, UNH still has the best FCS win of the season also. The only other team that has beat a top 5 team is Villanova, and UNH just beat them. What FCS win from UNI/Montana/UR would you put up against a win over #2 Villanova (who already has a top 5 victory of their own)?

ToTheLeft
October 10th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Lots of shakeups this week... I think SFA has a pretty good resume, to be honest... as much as I ragged on them, just look at what they've done... it's really not shabby.

Grizaholic17
October 10th, 2009, 10:38 PM
one thing is for sure, Montana should not improve in the ranking. But the dimwits that do the poll will put Montana #3.

Big Al
October 11th, 2009, 12:06 AM

If he doesn't I will. I'd absolutely take a 1 point loss to 6-0 Iowa over a 7 point win over 0-6 Ball State. It's a no-brainer in my book.

This may be bordering on smack, but the CAA "dominance" is really just smoke and mirrors. The FBS wins are all over atrocius squads -- I don't care what conference they're in or how many scholarships they have. If any of them played FCS ball, they wouldn't be ranked. Period.

Second, if we look at OOC games, the CAA really isn't faring any better. Who are the majority of their OOC FCS opponents? Patriot League? Big South? Jeez, there's really nothing to crow about there, either. Almost all of the "Big Dogs" in FCS are guilty of the same thing -- scheduling patsys to fill their OOC schedule. I'll include UNI in that same category -- USD & St. Francis aren't impressive opponents.

I guess what I'm getting at is this:

Thank god for the playoffs. It proves that all of this flapping of the gums on who has the better win or the tougher schedule really doesn't mean a thing when two teams line up on the field. At that point, they're both 0-0 and the only thing that matters at the end of the game is to win. Doesn't matter if it's one point or a hundred. Win and you advance. Lose and you go home. In the playoffs, you can't say, "Yeah, but they were from the NEC so that win really isn't impressive" or "Jeez, they've played such a tough schedule and already proven they're the etter team."

With the playoffs, it's put up or shut up.

JSU02
October 11th, 2009, 12:14 AM
If he doesn't I will. I'd absolutely take a 1 point loss to 6-0 Iowa over a 7 point win over 0-6 Ball State. It's a no-brainer in my book.

This may be bordering on smack, but the CAA "dominance" is really just smoke and mirrors. The FBS wins are all over atrocius squads -- I don't care what conference they're in or how many scholarships they have. If any of them played FCS ball, they wouldn't be ranked. Period.

Second, if we look at OOC games, the CAA really isn't faring any better. Who are the majority of their OOC FCS opponents? Patriot League? Big South? Jeez, there's really nothing to crow about there, either. Almost all of the "Big Dogs" in FCS are guilty of the same thing -- scheduling patsys to fill their OOC schedule. I'll include UNI in that same category -- USD & St. Francis aren't impressive opponents.

EXCELLENT POINTS!

UNHFootballAlum
October 11th, 2009, 12:25 AM

Thank god for the playoffs. It proves that all of this flapping of the gums on who has the better win or the tougher schedule really doesn't mean a thing when two teams line up on the field. At that point, they're both 0-0 and the only thing that matters at the end of the game is to win. Doesn't matter if it's one point or a hundred. Win and you advance. Lose and you go home. In the playoffs, you can't say, "Yeah, but they were from the NEC so that win really isn't impressive" or "Jeez, they've played such a tough schedule and already proven they're the etter team."

That FBS win may be the difference between UNH getting a seed over a school without an FBS win or one with an FBS loss. So as little importance as you place on these games, they make a difference in the committees eyes. As far as the CAA goes, I think that the conference has more than proven itself in the one arena where we start at 0-0 as you say, the playoffs.

Big Al
October 11th, 2009, 01:04 AM
1. Yes, the NCAA rules are clear that FBS wins will be considered when deciding between two teams with the same win/loss for selection into the playoffs. That's a far cry from saying "all FBS wins are better than FCS wins". I don't think it's too crazy to suggest that, if the season ended today UNI would receive a seed based in part on it's 1 point loss to Iowa. The selection committee clearly knows not all wins are created equal. I think it's one of the reasons they elected to not include some of the recent PFL champs, even though they had better w/l records than 2/3rds of the playoff field.

2. If we consider the 4 playoffs played since CAA football was created in 2005, they've won exactly one NC (Richmond, last year). Simple math would suggest getting 4-5 teams in the playoffs would result in a CAA team being the champ a little over 25% of the time. So I think the CAA is achieving according to the averages -- certainly not dominating.

That FBS win may be the difference between UNH getting a seed over a school without an FBS win or one with an FBS loss. So as little importance as you place on these games, they make a difference in the committees eyes. As far as the CAA goes, I think that the conference has more than proven itself in the one arena where we start at 0-0 as you say, the playoffs.

joecooll6
October 11th, 2009, 01:14 AM

In terms of showing what level your team can play at, losing to a Top 15 FBS team by 1 shows a lot more than beating an 0-6 MAC team.

By going toe to toe with Iowa, we showed what type of team we are and what level we are capable of playing it. Beating Ball State proves nothing for UNH. Not saying UNH cant play at the level UNI can, just saying that the 1 point loss to Iowa says a lot more than a win over Ball State, who most likely wouldnt make the playoffs in FCS.

UMass922
October 11th, 2009, 01:33 AM

Agreed. UNI's narrow loss to Iowa (currently undefeated and ranked #12 in FBS) is in my eyes this season's most impressive performance by an FCS team against an FBS team. xnodx

UNHFootballAlum
October 11th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Agreed. UNI's narrow loss to Iowa (currently undefeated and ranked #12 in FBS) is in my eyes this season's most impressive performance by an FCS team against an FBS team. xnodx

You all may see it as more impressive, but it still counts as a loss. UNI derserved to win that game, but alas they did not. Ask any coach if a loss is better than a win and aslo about moral victories. They don't help you make the playoffs. UNI has a very good team and doesn't need that Iowa win to get in.

All wins are not created equal, however you are comparing a loss to a win both at the FBS level. The CAA won the NC in 2004 & 2008. App St won it in 05,06 & 07. I'd hardly call that a lack of dominance in the playoffs. Our record in the playoffs over that period of time is stellar. Getting 4-5 team in over the past 2 yrs doesn't automatically mean that we should win more games. it could also say that we had a chance to lose more games, but that isn't what happened

WildCat In The Hat
October 11th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Big Al can spin it however he wants. On no occasion on any day would I rather have a loss than a win...which he then follows up with CAA is average and overrated??? Interesting.

UNHFan99
October 11th, 2009, 08:27 AM
To me that is like saying UNI's narrow loss is more impressive than App State's win over an average to bad michigan team.

paward
October 11th, 2009, 08:38 AM
It goes like this last ten years:

1. App State
2. CAA
3. Everybody Else

Plain and Simple!

UNH Fanboi
October 11th, 2009, 08:43 AM
At some point a loss is more impressive than a win. What if UNI lost by 1 point to the NY Giants, and UNH beat a high school team by 1 point. Which performance would be more impressive?

UNH Fanboi
October 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I'd like to interject that the CAA's low number national championships is a common red herring thrown out by the CAA haters. The CAA is the strongest conference because it has the most DEPTH, not because it is guaranteed to produce the best team in the country every year.

Wildcat80
October 11th, 2009, 08:47 AM

I'd jump us to #2......let's see what the pollsters do.....either way there is ALOT of football yet to play. What to go Coach Mac and UNH!!!!xnodx

JaxSinfonian
October 11th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Doesn't matter if it's one point or a hundred. Win and you advance. Lose and you go home. In the playoffs, you can't say, "Yeah, but they were from the NEC so that win really isn't impressive" or "Jeez, they've played such a tough schedule and already proven they're the etter team."

Fine points all, and well-made. I'd say, though, that arguments like these can matter when deciding who gets into the playoffs, though it usually only matters when deciding the last team in.

Last season was a great example of it not working well, and of a discussion very like this UNI-UNH debate making the difference. For the final at large spot last year: William & Mary, Liberty, Maine and Jacksonville State all were in the conversation. The seven-win Tribe was only in the discussion because they're a CAA team. Comparing the records of the remaining 8-win teams, Maine (with more Ls than the other two teams) appears to have made it in on the quality of their losses, because they play in the CAA.

That said, I'd much rather be arguing about the sixteenth team in the field than the team that gets the title.

WildCat In The Hat
October 11th, 2009, 09:25 AM
At some point a loss is more impressive than a win. What if UNI lost by 1 point to the NY Giants, and UNH beat a high school team by 1 point. Which performance would be more impressive?

Are you for real????

YoUDeeMan
October 11th, 2009, 09:28 AM
All I know is that UNI should be #1 and UNH should be above Montana. But neither of those things will happen in any poll because 99% percent of pollsters just take last year's playoff results and then shift teams down as they lose.

I like UNI and I think they have one of the top tems in the nation. However, UNI has a LOSS and the just gave up OVER 500 yards of offense to an unranked FCS team.

Giving up over 500 yards! of offense and 27 points to an FCS team that has won exactly ONE game is not what I would call an impressive performance from what only a homer would call the top team in the nation.

smcwildcat
October 11th, 2009, 12:20 PM
who cares abou the rankings...I know coach mac doesn't it's how you play every week hands down finishing strong etc.

DSUrocks07
October 11th, 2009, 12:46 PM
To me that is like saying UNI's narrow loss is more impressive than App State's win over an average to bad michigan team.

xconfusedx

That "average to bad Michigan team" finished that year 9-4 with a win over an SEC team (Florida)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=130&year=2007

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=280010057

I'm happy for UNH getting an FBS win. But don't make it bigger than it really is. xnonox Iowa could very well win the Big Ten... at this point, I would be surprised if Ball State wins a game this year.

If that were the case then DSU could go out and beat a Sun Belt team and claim to be the best team in FCS. xnonono2x

WrenFGun
October 11th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Fine points all, and well-made. I'd say, though, that arguments like these can matter when deciding who gets into the playoffs, though it usually only matters when deciding the last team in.

Last season was a great example of it not working well, and of a discussion very like this UNI-UNH debate making the difference. For the final at large spot last year: William & Mary, Liberty, Maine and Jacksonville State all were in the conversation. The seven-win Tribe was only in the discussion because they're a CAA team. Comparing the records of the remaining 8-win teams, Maine (with more Ls than the other two teams) appears to have made it in on the quality of their losses, because they play in the CAA.

That said, I'd much rather be arguing about the sixteenth team in the field than the team that gets the title.

Seven Win William and Mary was in the discussion because they had the best GPI, the best resume and the best win...Maine got in because of how hot they were down the stretch but W&M were the right choice.

To be very clear, from an evaluating team perspective (and thus, a poll perspective) I have no problem having UNI above UNH, because I agree with their assessment of Iowa and Ball State. For a PLAYOFF evaluation purpose, however, UNH's win is more important than UNI's loss. I often make the mistake of confusing the former with the latter, but I did want to make that clear.

Native
October 11th, 2009, 12:58 PM

UNI and Montana haven't beat Villanova! xlolxxlolx

DSUrocks07
October 11th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Seven Win William and Mary was in the discussion because they had the best GPI, the best resume and the best win...Maine got in because of how hot they were down the stretch but W&M were the right choice.

To be very clear, from an evaluating team perspective (and thus, a poll perspective) I have no problem having UNI above UNH, because I agree with their assessment of Iowa and Ball State. For a PLAYOFF evaluation purpose, however, UNH's win is more important than UNI's loss. I often make the mistake of confusing the former with the latter, but I did want to make that clear.

On what grounds? xconfusedx

aceinthehole
October 11th, 2009, 01:19 PM
1. Richmond
2. Northern Iowa
3. New Hampshire
4. Villanova
5. Montana

CDT_Wilson
October 11th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Compare the team UNI lost by 1 with the team that UNH won over. All FBS means is you have more people enrolled at your school. I think Indiana State vs ball state would be a good game.

srgrizizen
October 11th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I'd like to interject that the CAA's low number national championships is a common red herring thrown out by the CAA haters. The CAA is the strongest conference because it has the most DEPTH, not because it is guaranteed to produce the best team in the country every year.

Nobody can dispute that the CAA has hadmore good teams lately than any other conference. But until they award trophies to conferences instead of teams, who cares??? The so called "red-herring" is in fact the only meaningful point, and it does not make anyone a CAA hater.xlolxxlolx

CDT_Wilson
October 11th, 2009, 01:41 PM
You all may see it as more impressive, but it still counts as a loss. UNI derserved to win that game, but alas they did not. Ask any coach if a loss is better than a win and aslo about moral victories. They don't help you make the playoffs. UNI has a very good team and doesn't need that Iowa win to get in.

All wins are not created equal, however you are comparing a loss to a win both at the FBS level. The CAA won the NC in 2004 & 2008. App St won it in 05,06 & 07. I'd hardly call that a lack of dominance in the playoffs. Our record in the playoffs over that period of time is stellar. Getting 4-5 team in over the past 2 yrs doesn't automatically mean that we should win more games. it could also say that we had a chance to lose more games, but that isn't what happened

How about the CAA's record in Cedar Falls, IA?

JSU02
October 11th, 2009, 01:45 PM
All FBS means is you have more people enrolled at your school.

Not true. FBS means you offer 85 scholarships as opposed a max of 63 in FCS. Although many FBS school have larger enrollments than many FCS school, some FCS schools are larger than FBS schools. :D

UNHFootballAlum
October 11th, 2009, 04:01 PM

I agree with all that you have said

UNHFootballAlum
October 11th, 2009, 04:03 PM

All of UNI's wins will be against FCS and UNH will also add an FBS win

WrenFGun
October 11th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Well, if UNH is 10-1 and Northern Iowa is 9-2, UNH, with an FBS win instead of a loss is your 4 seed. If both teams are 9-2, in my estimation the playoff committee will award UNH for actually winning their FBS game, though the pollsters will reward UNI for the better game.

Ultimately, it's a matter of opinion on where the W-L record matters. For all the MVC/other conference homers arguing that their team beat who was on their schedule, this is really no different. UNH beat the FBS team on their schedule. There's really no telling how they'd fair against Iowa.

There was nothing about UNH's win over Ball State or UNI's loss to Iowa that suggests to me that UNH should be ranked higher than UNI. However, UNH should be seeded higher based on the criteria of the committee.

achrist70
October 11th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Is your post to boost the case for the CAA because it has the last two victories in the dome?

WrenFGun
October 11th, 2009, 04:34 PM

...and wouldn't you say winning by a narrow margin would be expected since you're the home team? That's the ultimate neutralizer. Two evenly matched teams should see the home team win or be favored by a small margin...

UNIFanSince1983
October 11th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Yeah the CAA has ended our last two seasons in Cedar Falls...

If you are talking about UNH though that is a different story, as they are 0-2 in CF and 0-3 altogether...

Aho_Old_Guy
October 11th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I would personally take Faith Hill over both UNI and UNH.

McNeese75
October 11th, 2009, 07:50 PM

xrolleyesx Did you read the stats, etc on the game last night?? They are not a top 15 team (and MSU sure wasn't last night).

JohnStOnge
October 11th, 2009, 08:01 PM
xrolleyesx Did you read the stats, etc on the game last night?? They are not a top 15 team (and MSU sure wasn't last night).

It'll all work out in the end. McNeese doesn't deserve a high ranking because discipline is part of what makes a good team and McNeese has shown over the past two games that it has a problem in the area of foolish penalties, etc. But if SFA is really only as good physically as it showed last night that'll eventually come out and people won't be talking about ranking the Lumberjacks in the poll.

After watching them I'd say there's no way they're one of the top 25 teams in the country. But all most people have to go on are the scores and they are undefeated against other FCS teams. I think they'll have a few losses in Southland play along the way. But if they don't, it could be argued that what they showed last night in terms of actually moving the ball and stopping their opponent from moving it was an abberation. They'll deserve their ranking.

TCisMYhero
October 11th, 2009, 08:38 PM
If we had played Iowa St instead of Iowa we would probably be justified at #1. As it is, Richmond is my #1, but that doesn't matter cause I'm not voting this year

Mn_Moose
October 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM
UNI and Montana haven't beat Villanova! xlolxxlolx

Villanova has proven that weren't that good to justify a # 2 ranking

Big Al
October 11th, 2009, 09:28 PM
All fair points and I would agree with what you've said. Rightly or wrongly, the committee values an FBS win over an FCS win.

Well, if UNH is 10-1 and Northern Iowa is 9-2, UNH, with an FBS win instead of a loss is your 4 seed. If both teams are 9-2, in my estimation the playoff committee will award UNH for actually winning their FBS game, though the pollsters will reward UNI for the better game.

Ultimately, it's a matter of opinion on where the W-L record matters. For all the MVC/other conference homers arguing that their team beat who was on their schedule, this is really no different. UNH beat the FBS team on their schedule. There's really no telling how they'd fair against Iowa.

There was nothing about UNH's win over Ball State or UNI's loss to Iowa that suggests to me that UNH should be ranked higher than UNI. However, UNH should be seeded higher based on the criteria of the committee.

soccerguy315
October 11th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Villanova has proven that weren't that good to justify a # 2 ranking

based on what?

for all you know, UNH could be the best team in the country, and Villanova could be the 2nd best.

mcveyrl
October 11th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I'm not having nearly as much trouble with what you guys are arguing about as the other end...

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 11th, 2009, 10:14 PM
1. Richmond
2. UNI
3. UNH
4. Montana
5. Villanova

putter
October 11th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Why not rank SFA? 17-25 is really a bunch of oatmeal anyway and, if they get past Central Ark, will have the inside track for the Auto from the Southland. With the way this year is shaping up saying SFA shouldn't be ranked does not hold a whole lot of merit with the company they have at the bottom of the poll

Mn_Moose
October 12th, 2009, 08:59 AM
based on what?

for all you know, UNH could be the best team in the country, and Villanova could be the 2nd best.

That's why this is the best system with a national playoff championship

89Hen
October 12th, 2009, 10:48 AM
The FBS wins are all over atrocius squads -- I don't care what conference they're in or how many scholarships they have. If any of them played FCS ball, they wouldn't be ranked. Period.

Thank god for the playoffs. It proves that all of this flapping of the gums on who has the better win or the tougher schedule really doesn't mean a thing when two teams line up on the field.
According to Sagarin, UVA would be #2 in I-AA and Duke would be #3. Your hatred of the CAA is clouding your judgement.

As for the playoffs... agreed. It gives the CAA a chance to really shine. xthumbsupx

WestCoastAggie
October 12th, 2009, 11:00 AM
According to Sagarin, UVA would be #2 in I-AA and Duke would be #3. Your hatred of the CAA is clouding your judgement.

As for the playoffs... agreed. It gives the CAA a chance to really shine. xthumbsupx

I know this much; Duke would win the MEAC. xlolx

TribeinDC
October 12th, 2009, 10:00 PM
2. If we consider the 4 playoffs played since CAA football was created in 2005, they've won exactly one NC (Richmond, last year). Simple math would suggest getting 4-5 teams in the playoffs would result in a CAA team being the champ a little over 25% of the time. So I think the CAA is achieving according to the averages -- certainly not dominating.

Just wanted to point out that while the CAA was the A-10 prior to 2005, none of the teams have changed. So looking back at previous national champs:

2003: Delaware
2004: JMU
2005-2007- Appy
2008: Richmond

Correct my math, but over the last 6 years the CAA/A-10 teams have won the national championship 50% of the time, well over the 25% you suggested. I call that dominance and not just smoke and mirrors.