PDA

View Full Version : GDT: NDSU v UNI>>The battle of the dome dwellers<<

Twentysix
October 10th, 2009, 05:17 AM
xshakingmadx Lets go bison our first chance for a real upset in a while! PP for 165. xshakingmadx

https://www.nmnathletics.com/pics11/200/WK/WKSTDOQUQKWJJJQ.20090920024209.jpg

Lets see him break that 91 yard record!

Team Ovr. Conf.
NDSU 1-4 0-2
UNI 4-1 2-0

Uni's point sum year to date

NDSU's point sum year to date

Heh, no matter what the spread is in vegas ill be there screaming my ass off for the Herd! :-D

UNIFanSince1983
October 10th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I appreciate your enthusiasm as you seem to be one of the fans who hasn't been standing at the edge of cliff.

However, I have a hard time seeing PP get 165 on our run defense. I wish this game started a little bit earlier. I have a wedding to go to at 5, so I probably won't be able to watch the whole thing, but like I had to during our St. Francis game I'll probably take a radio with me to the wedding.

spelunker64
October 10th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Bison Win! My oh My

CDT_Wilson
October 10th, 2009, 09:54 AM
xshakingmadx Lets go bison our first chance for a real upset in a while! PP for 165. xshakingmadx

https://www.nmnathletics.com/pics11/200/WK/WKSTDOQUQKWJJJQ.20090920024209.jpg

Lets see him break that 91 yard record!

Team Ovr. Conf.
NDSU 1-4 0-2
UNI 4-1 2-0

Uni's point sum year to date

NDSU's point sum year to date

Heh, no matter what the spread is in vegas ill be there screaming my ass off for the Herd! :-D

You will be lucky if you break 91 yards rushing as a team.

Bison06
October 10th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Well this isn't the matchup that Bison fans hoped for at the beginning of the season, but it will be nice to have UNI at home. Personally, I think this game might be extremely ugly as UNI looked like the most complete team I have seen at the FCS level this year. I think the Bison play loose and have nothing to lose, but this won't make up for the discrepancy between the two teams.

Prediction:

NDSU-17
UNI-35 with a touchdown added late to make it look worse than it really was

CDT_Wilson
October 10th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Well this isn't the matchup that Bison fans hoped for at the beginning of the season, but it will be nice to have UNI at home. Personally, I think this game might be extremely ugly as UNI looked like the most complete team I have seen at the FCS level this year. I think the Bison play loose and have nothing to lose, but this won't make up for the discrepancy between the two teams.

Prediction:

NDSU-17

I can't imagine that NDSU will score that much with a lopsided game heavy on the run. Other teams to include Iowa couldn't rush for more then a little over 100 yards a game.

Bison06
October 10th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I don't think our offense is as bad as people seem to think. It is the defense that is the worst I have seen since I started watching the Bison in the late 90's. I have seen UNI's defense and they are every bit as good as advertised. Maybe 17 is a little wishful thinking, but I think we should be able to do it.

Aeacos
October 10th, 2009, 03:27 PM
7-0 UNI
UNI drive: 8 plays 79 yards, 3:28

unigriff
October 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Punt block for a TD by the Bizon. 7-7.

UNIFanSince1983
October 10th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Punt block TD 14-7 UNI...

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 10th, 2009, 04:09 PM
2 Punt Block TDs in the same game? Wild.

UNIFanSince1983
October 10th, 2009, 04:15 PM
NDSU is doing exactly what they need to, to keep this close or even win. They are ruling TOP, and just being really physical. This is not going to turn out how many people are predicting, and Paschall might just get to his average as he has 70 some odd yards already.

unigriff
October 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM
pat only has 40 btw. and the penalties are killing this game period...15 penalties in the first half alone.

unigriff
October 10th, 2009, 04:19 PM
UNI TOUCHDOWN!!!! UNI goes 92 yards in 4 plays for the score. 23 pass from Grace to Hord!!!

unigriff
October 10th, 2009, 04:21 PM
21-7 UNI 4 minutes to go by the way;)

onbison09
October 10th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Jesus the NDSU coaching staff is absolutely clueless! You gotta have 2 plays ready after calling a TO after 1st. I smell a blowout.

crunifan
October 10th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Wow this is an ugly game. UNI has to come out on all cylinders on the first drive to help put this away. We let NDSU back in it and I think it will be a battle to the finish.

If we play like this against SIU next week, we are toast...

JSUBison
October 10th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Way to play down to your opponent, UNI.

unigriff
October 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM
UNI playing horrible. Grace got blindsided, fumbled (recoverd by NDSU but they of course couldnt do anything with it...) Grace injured.

UNI up 21-13 Start of 4th

da_Bison
October 10th, 2009, 05:37 PM
UNI playing horrible. Grace got blindsided, fumbled (recoverd by NDSU but they of course couldnt do anything with it...) Grace injured.

UNI up 21-13 Start of 4th

what you call horrible play I call getting physically beat up! It is what it is! Call it as you see it or continue being a homer!

darell1976
October 10th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Where's LakesBison to pump up the team.xlolx

unigriff
October 10th, 2009, 05:40 PM
First play back in for Grace after the injury...Deep fly pass to Turner for the TOUCHDOWN!!!! 28-13 UNI.

unigriff
October 10th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Haha...Paschall who? Keep being a homer about him. He's done nothing today.

da_Bison
October 10th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Haha...Paschall who? Keep being a homer about him. He's done nothing today.

were about to put up 200 yards on the ground on your mighty D, you might wanna stop talkin

unigriff
October 10th, 2009, 05:48 PM
as a team, not one player :) And we are still winning with that high flight offense of yours.
Might want to get a new kicker and we all need new refs...man they suck.

da_Bison
October 10th, 2009, 05:49 PM
as a team, not one player :) And we are still winning with that high flight offense of yours.
Might want to get a new kicker and we all need new refs...man they suck.

i hear ya

unigriff
October 10th, 2009, 05:52 PM
id hope the game would be close uve had twice as many plays and TOP.

7 plays 2 TDs and 173 yards. Thats why we don't have TOP or plays. Lol

looks like it will be a good finish though.

darell1976
October 10th, 2009, 06:05 PM
TD-UNI

UNI 35
NDSU 20 5:15 4th qtr

unigriff
October 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM
That'll do it...Grace is a beast. NDSU will fall to 1-5. Playoffs no more. Good fight, just not good enough.

unigriff
October 10th, 2009, 06:09 PM
On to playing Conference Title Game#1 Next week for homecoming!

2002jack
October 10th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I started watching this at halftime. I've never seen so many flags.

unigriff
October 10th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Yea its redic.....UNI Interception....start the Fight Song...UNI wins!

2002jack
October 10th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I started watching this at halftime. I've never seen so many flags.

And alot of bad calls. I hope some one reviews this whole crew. They shouldn't work together in the future.

unigriff
October 10th, 2009, 06:18 PM
hopefully not in our game in Brookings..good lord.

UNI dominating now...42-20. And the bison crash in 5....4....3....2....1....

darell1976
October 10th, 2009, 06:27 PM
TD-NDSU too little too late

42-27 28 sec left

unigriff
October 10th, 2009, 06:28 PM
NDSU gets a lousy we let you score garbage TD.

FINAL SCORE UNI 42-NDSU 27

crunifan
October 10th, 2009, 06:34 PM
UNI has a lot of work to do before next week.

With that said, I don't care what the announcers say, a GOOD football team does not have that many "missed opportunities." One or two I understand, but not 5+. The better team clearly won today.

strike00
October 10th, 2009, 06:35 PM
272 yards of enforced penalties is just ridiculous.

NDSU did come out with alot of fight today and they deserve credit for that.

But definitely one of the strangest games I've seen.

onbison09
October 10th, 2009, 06:44 PM
And alot of bad calls. I hope some one reviews this whole crew. They shouldn't work together in the future.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

MplsBison
October 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM
This is the first time I've gotten to watch the 2009 NDSU team on TV (don't think I'm going to make it in person this year).

Thoughts:

- coaches must've given up trying to teach Mertens proper mechanics, because he has none. He throws way too much with feet still moving and major side arm'er. That said, when he sets his feet he usually can get a good ball to the receiver.

- way too many costly drops. Do we have anyone on this team who can catch a ball? Maybe that's Mertens' problem more than anything? Yet, everyone who made a costly drop later had a nice catch. Ugh.

- NDSU won the trenches IMO. UNI has great lineman and I thought NDSU had their way for most of the game.

- that said...take a look at how well the OL has played this year. Now gee...who would've thought that? You lose Perles, who never played OL and also had to be the OC and you hire a guy who is a great OL coach and played OL in college. Amazing what happens when you get a good coach.

Now how can we apply that to QB? Oh yeah, HIRE A QB COACH WHO HAS PLAYED THAT POSITION. Brainless. Let Vigen be the TE coach and the OC. Hire someone who played QB to coach the QBs.

- Score didn't say it. NDSU, for the most part, played very well on offense and not bad on defense. Just couldn't score TD's on all our opportunities and let too many big plays on defense

- I wish we had someone who was good at kicking FG. Bibeau did not cost us the game by any means, but he still missed a very makeable kick and a makeable kick. In a dome. He is the SLOWEST kicker in the NCAA. Could he walk up to the ball any slower? Jeeez.

- Cornick looked like he played very well for Ebel at T. Arndt and him will be good bookends next season. Gotta find some guards to replace Foster and Buckman, going to be tough as they are two of the best in the MVFC.

- why aren't the OL wearing knee braces anymore? Didn't Ebel just get hurt?

- NDSU-UNI rivalry should be a good one. Right up there with UND and SDSU

Now that NDSU for sure won't make the playoffs, next week's game at SDSU is basically the season.

As long as they beat SDSU next week, I don't care if they lose the rest of the games (which they won't, they play Indiana State still). Likely will beat Missouri State and Youngstown in Fargo as well. WIU in Macomb not so sure.

Chi Panther
October 10th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Probably the ugliest Non-Oakland Raiders game I've ever seen.

PP is alot better than what people are giving him.

I don't think Willy called a very good game. Glad we got the win.

DOME
October 10th, 2009, 06:52 PM
By far the toughest game we've played since IOWA.
If I'm not mistaken first time we've had starters in all the way too!
Good fight Bison! See ya next year in the other (the good) DOME!

CDT_Wilson
October 10th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Only the second game all season that UNI had to play the starters the whole game, so good on you. With that said, that was the worst UNI has played all season. Hopefully they kick it in gear for the rest of the season and get up for every game.

DOME
October 10th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Coaches better chew some butt and get them ready for the flying dogs that eat children and burn kittens in their power plants next week!!!

MTBison
October 10th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Good luck to the Panthers for the rest of the season and make the MVFC proud. xthumbsupx

semobison
October 10th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Total yards NDSU-514 UNI-395, first downs NDSU-29 UNI-19, NDSU has a 17 minute advantage in time of possession....but NDSU is down by 22 with a minute left...Crazy stuff... A lot of that is due to UNI scoring quickly...Crazy game ...270 some yards in penalties...both teams! Bison left points on the table in the first as they have all year. We have to be the best 1-5 team in the country..lol..Congrats Panthers, hope you go all the way!

MplsBison
October 10th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Total yards NDSU-514 UNI-395, first downs NDSU-29 UNI-19, NDSU has a 17 minute advantage in time of possession....but NDSU is down by 22 with a minute left...Crazy stuff... A lot of that is due to UNI scoring quickly...Crazy game ...270 some yards in penalties...both teams! Bison left points on the table in the first as they have all year. We have to be the best 1-5 team in the country..lol..Congrats Panthers, hope you go all the way!

Like I said, NDSU couldn't score on all their opportunities and they let some big plays on defense.

Take nothing away from UNI (except acting a bit thugish), they are top 3 in the country.

ValleyChamp
October 10th, 2009, 07:40 PM
terrible game.

Drblankstare
October 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM
It was just an odd game. Very sluggish to watch. Way to many flags on both sides. Refs called it way to close. The good news for the Bison, its passing game looked improved. The bad news, the defense still looks like a sieve for too much of the game.

Last observation is that Pat White, is a very cool customer. This is the first time ive seen him live and he's very polished.

crunifan
October 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM
This is the first time I've gotten to watch the 2009 NDSU team on TV (don't think I'm going to make it in person this year).

Thoughts:

- coaches must've given up trying to teach Mertens proper mechanics, because he has none. He throws way too much with feet still moving and major side arm'er. That said, when he sets his feet he usually can get a good ball to the receiver.

- way too many costly drops. Do we have anyone on this team who can catch a ball? Maybe that's Mertens' problem more than anything? Yet, everyone who made a costly drop later had a nice catch. Ugh.

- NDSU won the trenches IMO. UNI has great lineman and I thought NDSU had their way for most of the game.

- that said...take a look at how well the OL has played this year. Now gee...who would've thought that? You lose Perles, who never played OL and also had to be the OC and you hire a guy who is a great OL coach and played OL in college. Amazing what happens when you get a good coach.

Now how can we apply that to QB? Oh yeah, HIRE A QB COACH WHO HAS PLAYED THAT POSITION. Brainless. Let Vigen be the TE coach and the OC. Hire someone who played QB to coach the QBs.

- Score didn't say it. NDSU, for the most part, played very well on offense and not bad on defense. Just couldn't score TD's on all our opportunities and let too many big plays on defense

- I wish we had someone who was good at kicking FG. Bibeau did not cost us the game by any means, but he still missed a very makeable kick and a makeable kick. In a dome. He is the SLOWEST kicker in the NCAA. Could he walk up to the ball any slower? Jeeez.

- Cornick looked like he played very well for Ebel at T. Arndt and him will be good bookends next season. Gotta find some guards to replace Foster and Buckman, going to be tough as they are two of the best in the MVFC.

- why aren't the OL wearing knee braces anymore? Didn't Ebel just get hurt?

- NDSU-UNI rivalry should be a good one. Right up there with UND and SDSU

Now that NDSU for sure won't make the playoffs, next week's game at SDSU is basically the season.

As long as they beat SDSU next week, I don't care if they lose the rest of the games (which they won't, they play Indiana State still). Likely will beat Missouri State and Youngstown in Fargo as well. WIU in Macomb not so sure.

I agree with those points completely. Especially with with the last one. I've felt that is something the MVC has really needed, big rivalries. UNI and SIU are working to build one, and I feel NDSU has huge potential to be that for us as well.

NDSUDude
October 10th, 2009, 07:44 PM
180 yards in penalties + not being able to catch the ball when it hits you in the hands = a loss

igo4uni
October 10th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Ugly win, but we'll take it.

UNIFanSince1983
October 10th, 2009, 09:37 PM
PP is a great back and should definitely be an AA this year. NDSU's came out and wanted this game. It is like I said prior that it is sort of a trap game. It started out good as we went right down and scored, but then the offense just seemed like they could mail it in until the fourth when we decided to play football. Gotta give a lot of that credit to NDSU as they played very physical, and implemented their gameplan very well.

We need to get some things ironed out before next weekend, but right now a win is a win, and I think NDSU could win out. They do, however, seem to like to play to the level of their opponent. That would explain good games against SIU and UNI, but a terrible game against Illinois State.

Good luck to the Bison!

MplsBison
October 10th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Agreed UNI83, they do seem to play a to the level that they perceive of the opponent. Down for Sam Houston and Ill State (beat both in 2007), up for Iowa State, SIU and UNI.

MplsBison
October 10th, 2009, 10:25 PM
180 yards in penalties + not being able to catch the ball when it hits you in the hands = a loss

Williams, Holloway, Veldman and Mack all had at least one ball hit them right in the hands and just fall out dropped, like Mertens just threw him a bee hive or something.

Mind boggling drops. Like...their hands must be bruised as they were hit so directly in the hands.

And then all four had nice catches later in the game (except maybe Williams..can't remember hearing his name).

UNI Pike
October 10th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Random thoughts

1. NDSU has a very good oline, supporting a good back Paschall
2. The broadcast crew looked as professional as Borat's team from Kazakhstan
3. I think the refs had more passing yards than either QB
4. NDSU suffered from poor linebacker/db tackling - there was a ton of yards after first contact
5. The personal foul calls where getting out of hand at the end - was there something that happened off camera on the PF called on UNI's Def Lineman laying on top of Mertens?
6. What happened to LakesBison? Did his car get towed again?
7. I think that the future series may turn into a bad blood rivalry shown by the emotions today.
8. I was surprised that NDSU was able to keep the level of intensity up, especially on def, in the second half. The TOP greatly helped NDSU stay in the game.

UNI Pike
October 10th, 2009, 10:32 PM
And please - no more Barack Obama Chia Pet ads. Please. Show some respect for the office. Please.

YoUDeeMan
October 10th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Random thoughts

xeyebrowx

What game were you watching...or are the stats wrong?

Looks like UNI gave up over 500 yards today. xeekx

+300 passing.

That's a lot of yards! xnodx

UNI Pike
October 10th, 2009, 10:45 PM
270 Yards of penalties on 27 calls

Chi Panther
October 10th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Random thoughts

4. NDSU suffered from poor linebacker/db tackling - there was a ton of yards after first contact
5. The personal foul calls where getting out of hand at the end - was there something that happened off camera on the PF called on UNI's Def Lineman laying on top of Mertens?
7. I think that the future series may turn into a bad blood rivalry shown by the emotions today.
8. I was surprised that NDSU was able to keep the level of intensity up, especially on def, in the second half. The TOP greatly helped NDSU stay in the game.

I think #8 can't be over looked....

I'm sure it was both ways but Ruffin was getting held more than I've EVER seen....

ValleyChamp
October 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Ruffin gets held every week, and hardly ever gets a call. I can't figure it out.

Big Al
October 11th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Here's the thing about those 500+ yards of NDSU offense.

It only resulted in 2 offensive TDs. One of which was in garbage time, with 27 seconds left and the game already decided.

Think about that, the equivalent of 5 times down the field and you only come away with 20 points? That doesn't win games, unless you're playing a PFL team.

Big Al
October 11th, 2009, 12:32 AM
1. Yes, NDSU had excellent run blocking. That and Paschall is very talented runner. However, they showed that you can't be successful in the MVFC when you're a one-dimensional team.

2. OMG. I could do better with a group of HS telecom students equipped with cell phones for cameras! My personal fave was the slo-mo pass replay in the (I think) 3rd quarter where you couldn't see anything because there wasa random sideline player in the way! Did they look at their monitors before selecting footage to re-run? For that matter, was the mid-field cameraman ever looking through their viewfinder?
3. Ironically, I think their emphasis on personal fouls caused them to miss some other calls in the game.

4. Yup. Although Carlos Anderson really showed some good vision in his runs today!

5. I think UNI's nose tackle and NDSU's center really, really, really hate each other.

Random thoughts

Thunderstruck84
October 11th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Here's the thing about those 500+ yards of NDSU offense.

It only resulted in 2 offensive TDs. One of which was in garbage time, with 27 seconds left and the game already decided.

Think about that, the equivalent of 5 times down the field and you only come away with 20 points? That doesn't win games, unless you're playing a PFL team.
No argument here. A team can march the ball up and down the field all day but when you're kicking (or missing) FGs and the other team is scoring TDs you're going to lose every time. UNI made the plays on defense with their backs against the wall and that's why they won the game.

Big Al
October 11th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I will say this:

I certainly think the Bison are better than their record would indicate. NDSU may not finish the year with a winning record but I don't think there's a reason to blow up the staff or the stadium. Even good teams have bad runs.

No argument here. A team can march the ball up and down the field all day but when you're kicking (or missing) FGs and the other team is scoring TDs you're going to lose every time. UNI made the plays on defense with their backs against the wall and that's why they won the game.

DaveK
October 11th, 2009, 12:58 AM
NDSU played a lot better than I thought they would. The game didn't turn out to be the blowout that I was expecting.

DOME
October 11th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Did anyone else notice, in the second qtr on a punt return the ref was calling a flag and stiff-armed the NDSU returner as he ran by?
Not really relevant to anything but I couldn't help but laugh!

Houndawg
October 11th, 2009, 08:02 AM
NDSU played a lot better than I thought they would. The game didn't turn out to be the blowout that I was expecting.

I agree, although I think the play of both UNI and SIU shows they were both looking past their opponents to this week.

Gil Dobie
October 11th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I agree, although I think the play of both UNI and SIU shows they were both looking past their opponents to this week.

........UNI should win big anyway. xnodx

MplsBison
October 11th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Random thoughts

#2....I forgot to mention about how piss-poor of a production FSN put on for this game.

Who was the drunk in the truck running this damned circus?

I thought the play-by-play and the analyst were both pretty good. The analyst had an exceptional knowledge of the game and I thought he was right on almost the whole time in his technical commentary.

Esp. the part about Mertens throwing with his feet still moving and side-arming it. Just horrible mechanics.

If only we had a QB coach who played the position. Oh wait, we have an all-conference QB...coaching RBs. *slaps forehead*

I guess that's what you get when Bohl is basically the second defensive coordinator.

Did anyone catch the pre-game radio show when Bohl was asked about RB Matt Voitlander and Bohl went on to comment about TE Matt Veldman? ....are you kidding me? You don't even know who your offensive players are...do you Bohl.
Sad.

MplsBison
October 11th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Ruffin gets held every week, and hardly ever gets a call. I can't figure it out.

Boo hoo.

Offensive linemen "hold" every play of every game. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

As if a person's hands are even capable of stopping a fully-grown 240-300lbs man.

Houndawg
October 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Not as big as yesterday.xwhistlex

MplsBison
October 11th, 2009, 11:25 AM
1. Yes, NDSU had excellent run blocking. That and Paschall is very talented runner. However, they showed that you can't be successful in the MVFC when you're a one-dimensional team.

2. OMG. I could do better with a group of HS telecom students equipped with cell phones for cameras! My personal fave was the slo-mo pass replay in the (I think) 3rd quarter where you couldn't see anything because there wasa random sideline player in the way! Did they look at their monitors before selecting footage to re-run? For that matter, was the mid-field cameraman ever looking through their viewfinder?
3. Ironically, I think their emphasis on personal fouls caused them to miss some other calls in the game.

4. Yup. Although Carlos Anderson really showed some good vision in his runs today!

5. I think UNI's nose tackle and NDSU's center really, really, really hate each other.

#5...hahahaha!

Actually, did you see on the last NDSU turnover when our RG (Foster) knocked over the UNI NG and was jacking the poor kid on the Fargodome turf and ripped his helmet off. Then the NG comes from behind and smashes Foster in the back straight to the turf on the turnover?

LOL! Neither were called for personal fouls. I have a feeling that type of stuff was going on all day on both lines.

Good stuff. That's the type of stuff that should not be called. Let the kids play damnit. As Bohl would say, it's a men's game played by men. Leave it on the field, but when you're on the field play with anger.

darell1976
October 11th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I thought it was a lot closer than people thought. Most i am sure thought it would end up like the UNI-South Dakota game but NDSU is tough at home and i thought it would go down to the wire. Good game overall.xthumbsupx

Houndawg
October 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Bigger than you predicted the wins by NDSU and ISU?xlolx

Bill Hanson
October 11th, 2009, 11:32 AM
So NDSU is 1-4 now or is it 1-5?

Houndawg
October 11th, 2009, 11:37 AM
So NDSU is 1-4 now or is it 1-5?

1-5, I think. But maybe the best 1-5 team in the land. Easily the class of the bottom-tier of the MVC, and I say that boldly, knowing full well they haven't played the Trees yet.

Bill Hanson
October 11th, 2009, 12:33 PM
1-5, I think. But maybe the best 1-5 team in the land. Easily the class of the bottom-tier of the MVC, and I say that boldly, knowing full well they haven't played the Trees yet.

Man. That must be tough to fall from the top to the bottom that fast.

Gil Dobie
October 11th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Not as big as yesterday.xwhistlex

SIU should perform better than NDSU, afterall they beat NDSU. xpeacex

Houndawg
October 11th, 2009, 05:17 PM
SIU should perform better than NDSU, afterall they beat NDSU. xpeacex

We should. Methinks if Mertens can throw for 300 yards and the Bison can gain 428 yds, we're going to have a barn burner......SIU and UNI put up about the same yardage on the Bison defense, and their offense had a little more trouble on us than on the Cats. I think they come as the home field favorite, with the Salukis very capable of pulling the upset. I expect the MVC refs will cater to the dome crowd in their usual fashion.

Gil Dobie
October 11th, 2009, 05:23 PM
We should. Methinks if Mertens can throw for 300 yards and the Bison can gain 428 yds, we're going to have a barn burner......SIU and UNI put up about the same yardage on the Bison defense, and their offense had a little more trouble on us than on the Cats. I think they come as the home field favorite, with the Salukis very capable of pulling the upset. I expect the MVC refs will cater to the dome crowd in their usual fashion.

You both have great teams, should be a great game. xpeacex

clenz
October 12th, 2009, 05:01 PM

Prediction:

NDSU-17
NDSU late touchdown to make the game look closer.

FargoBison
October 12th, 2009, 05:24 PM
NDSU late touchdown to make the game look closer.

Not really, the final score was accurate.

W. DeMontague
October 12th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Just caught the replay on my DVR.

What an ugly game, flag-wise.

And that #24 for UNI pushing the Bison player into the benches in the 4th...wtf? You can't blame the Bison bench for retaliating 'cause it sure didn't seem the refs were going to flag him in the first place.

Ugly game, but good effort by the Bison.

MplsBison
October 13th, 2009, 12:36 PM

And that #24 for UNI pushing the Bison player into the benches in the 4th...wtf? You can't blame the Bison bench for retaliating 'cause it sure didn't seem the refs were going to flag him in the first place.

You can tell how frustrated they were during the game. I'm sure they didn't enjoy the physical beating that we gave them, even if we did lose by double digits.

PantherRob82
October 13th, 2009, 01:17 PM

You catch that the RB had a hold on his facemask? xwhistlex

PantherRob82
October 13th, 2009, 01:18 PM
You can tell how frustrated they were during the game. I'm sure they didn't enjoy the physical beating that we gave them, even if we did lose by double digits.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

Houndawg
October 13th, 2009, 01:20 PM

Did you guys really pound the ball on them the way the stats suggest? Or was it a fluke thing?

UNI Pike
October 13th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Team Stat Comparison

1st Downs 19 29
3rd down efficiency 2-6 6-15
4th down efficiency 0-0 1-1
Total Yards 395 514
Passing 229 308
Comp-Att 14-21 29-44
Yards per pass 10.9 7.0
Rushing 166 206
Rushing Attempts 26 39
Yards per rush 6.4 5.3
Penalties 13-121 14-151
Turnovers 1 2
Fumbles lost 1 0
Interceptions thrown 0 2
Possession 21:54 38:06

MplsBison
October 13th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Did you guys really pound the ball on them the way the stats suggest? Or was it a fluke thing?

Don't get me wrong, both of UNI's lines are top 5 in the nation. But my opinion is that NDSU more than handled them in the trenches.

Houndawg
October 13th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Don't get me wrong, both of UNI's lines are top 5 in the nation. But my opinion is that NDSU more than handled them in the trenches.

Except near the goal line? xconfusedx

ValleyChamp
October 13th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Translation; Only when it mattered most.

MplsBison
October 13th, 2009, 06:46 PM

No, at the goal line too.

Big Al
October 13th, 2009, 06:52 PM

Indeed. NDSU did hold UNI to only 42 points. Compared to USD and InSU, that's very respectable.

xrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesx

Houndawg
October 13th, 2009, 06:54 PM

What happened to all the points then?xconfusedx

Big Al
October 13th, 2009, 07:07 PM
They were jobbed by the refs -- didn't you hear?

:D:pxthumbsupx:D:pxthumbsupx

Gil Dobie
October 13th, 2009, 09:00 PM
They were jobbed by the refs -- didn't you hear?

:D:pxthumbsupx:D:pxthumbsupx

Pink fans always blaming the refs xwhistlex

MplsBison
October 14th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Indeed. NDSU did hold UNI to only 42 points. Compared to USD and InSU, that's very respectable.

xrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesx

What do points have to do with NDSU linemen dominating UNI linemen?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 14th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I appreciate your enthusiasm as you seem to be one of the fans who hasn't been standing at the edge of cliff.

However, I have a hard time seeing PP get 165 on our run defense. I wish this game started a little bit earlier. I have a wedding to go to at 5, so I probably won't be able to watch the whole thing, but like I had to during our St. Francis game I'll probably take a radio with me to the wedding.

You need to straighten those boys out, you don't get married on a Saturday during football season!!!!!!!!! xsmiley_wix

EllsworthGriz
December 6th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Congrats to both NDSU, and UNI, or should I just say to the whole MVC. Should be a great match-up between two big physical teams. Hope Stitt can learn from this and recruit bigger, stronger players to match up with CAA and the MVC. Six yards rushing for the Griz, and 250 for NDSU sums it up for me. Reality is the BSC is not at this level.

PantherRob82
December 6th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Congrats to both NDSU, and UNI, or should I just say to the whole MVC. Should be a great match-up between two big physical teams. Hope Stitt can learn from this and recruit bigger, stronger players to match up with CAA and the MVC. Six yards rushing for the Griz, and 250 for NDSU sums it up for me. Reality is the BSC is not at this level.

Nice, bumping a thread from 2009? xlolx

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Ugh, what an awful game and awful year. I've tried to hard to forget that 2009 ever happened.

Thanks EllsworthGriz! :p

UNI Pike
December 6th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Here's to Jose Mohler. May he be the honorary Bison captain for the rematch. He may just curl up on the carpet when the pre-coin flip handshakes are offered.

Bisonator
December 6th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Here's to Jose Mohler. May he be the honorary Bison captain for the rematch. He may just curl up on the carpet when the pre-coin flip handshakes are offered.

Ugh this thread brings back nightmares.xbawlingx

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2015, 05:11 PM
This game was actually pre-Mohler era in a time we Bison fans grudgingly refer to as "the Mertens era". Things were so bad at the QB position in 2009 there was an outcry to pull Mohler's redshirt that year. That's about all you need to know about the 2009 NDSU Bison.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Ugh, what an awful game and awful year. I've tried to hard to forget that 2009 ever happened.

Thanks EllsworthGriz! :p

Trying to get into our heads. Don't let it happen.