PDA

View Full Version : Carroll College (MT) seeks 4th consecutive title

grizband
December 15th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Carroll College, from Helena MT, will be playing for its 4th consecutive national title this saturday against St. Francis (IN) in the NAIA title game. The game will be televised on CSTV at 11am MST. Any I-AA supporters looking for a good game to watch should check this out. Carroll is a great team, led by one of the best QBs in the country (Tyler Emmert).

LacesOut
December 15th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Carroll College, from Helena MT, will be playing for its 4th consecutive national title this saturday against St. Francis (IN) in the NAIA title game. The game will be televised on CSTV at 11am MST. Any I-AA supporters looking for a good game to watch should check this out. Carroll is a great team, led by one of the best QBs in the country (Tyler Emmert).

Pardon my ignorance, but what is NAIA?? Is it below D-III??

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2005, 11:37 AM
NAIA is big time on basketball. It's also got football...

In terms of quality, I'd put it on a level with Div II. It is scholarshiped but they do not compete in NCAA, but they do compete against NCAAs out of conference...

Lots of NCAA Div Is and IIs were NAIAs at one point until the early 1980s. SHSU was actually NAIA and went to the World Series in NAIA baseball in the 60s quite a few times. They beat Grambling one year in baseball championships. Went to Refridgerator Bowl as NAIA and played Middle Tennessee State. Heard of them? Southwest Texas (now TxSt) was NAIA. I don't have my NAIA book that I got while working at one, but it's impressive who played at that level. Loads of I-AA schools...

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Other former NAIAs (just looking at MBB/FB champions)...

Northern Arizona
Texas A&I (now A&M-Kingsville)
Troy State
Eastern Washington
Central Arkansas (about to join SLC)
Montana St
Elon
McNeese
TxSouthern
San Diego St
North Texas
SW Missouri St (now Missouri St)
Tennessee St
Northern Illinois
Coppin St
Alcorn St

LacesOut
December 15th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Thanks, TT.

AGS is just filled with interesting tidbits.

catbob
December 15th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I don't care what level you play at, 4 consecutive championships is insane. Go Saints! Saints have the most accurate passer in college football history in Tyler Emmert, with a 4 year career completion % of what, 72%? Someone help me out here.

grizband
December 15th, 2005, 12:12 PM
The interesting thing about this, is that if Carroll wins, they would be only the second team ever to win 4 consecutive national titles, in any classification. A divions III team did it back in the 80s (I don't remember the name).

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2005, 12:32 PM
The interesting thing about this, is that if Carroll wins, they would be only the second team ever to win 4 consecutive national titles, in any classification. A divions III team did it back in the 80s (I don't remember the name).

Augustana (Ill.) from 1983 til 1986.

For the record, Mount Union won six of seven titles from 1996 til 2002 with three in a row then lost in 1999 and then another three.

http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/history/diviii

Eaglegus2
December 15th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Other former NAIAs (just looking at MBB/FB champions)...

Northern Arizona
Texas A&I (now A&M-Kingsville)
Troy State
Eastern Washington
Central Arkansas (about to join SLC)
Montana St
Elon
McNeese
TxSouthern
San Diego St
North Texas
SW Missouri St (now Missouri St)
Tennessee St
Northern Illinois
Coppin St
Alcorn St

Georgia Southern won the NAIA baseball championship back in the 60's.

grizband
December 15th, 2005, 12:40 PM

For the record, Mount Union won six of seven titles from 1996 til 2002 with three in a row then lost in 1999 and then another three.

Thats the team. I knew about Mount Union, talk about domination. There was an interesting fact in the Missoulian today. Carroll has won three straight titles (2002, 2003, 2004). The two years before that, they made it to the semis. In all, in the last 5 years, they have won 17 playoff games.

jwfgeol
December 15th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Carson-Newman College, now D-II, located in Jefferson City Tennessee, won the NAIA National Championship in football in '83, '84, '86, '88, and '89. Talk about owning a decade. They also were in the D-II championship game in '96, '98, and '99, losing all three times.

GoGuins
December 15th, 2005, 12:47 PM

I'll chime in on Mount Union since it's 15 min. from where I live in Alliance, Ohio (30 min. SW of Youngstown)

They are playing in their 8th DIII championship game in 10 years and 9th overall. They are seven time champs ('93, '96, ''97, '98, '00, & '01, '02).

Larry Kehres is their coach and his record is astounding:

Mount Union Current Head Coaching Notes

Overall Record: 230-20-3/.915

OAC Record: 165-8-3

Home Record: 125-9-3

Overall Road Record: 97-10-0

OAC Home Record: 84-5-3

OAC Road Record: 82-6-0

Neutral Site: 7-1

Playoff Record: 45-8

MUC HC (http://www.muc.edu/athletics/men_s_teams/football/head_coach_larry_kehres)

youwouldno
December 15th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Ha, I have a friend that's from Helena. Look, I'm sorry, but NAIA football sucks. Carroll is the best program at that level, and guys that didn't start for their HS play for Carroll. Emmert is very good, and there are always a handful of quality players with that program... but c'mon. This is a I-AA board, not an everything other than I-A board.

catbob
December 15th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Ha, I have a friend that's from Helena. Look, I'm sorry, but NAIA football sucks. Carroll is the best program at that level, and guys that didn't start for their HS play for Carroll. Emmert is very good, and there are always a handful of quality players with that program... but c'mon. This is a I-AA board, not an everything other than I-A board.

Either don't read the thread, or take it up with the moderators.

Isn't that the kind of attitude we IAAers are fighting from the IA folk?

Sorry for asking IAAers to support something other than IAA football.

:argue:

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2005, 12:59 PM

Didn't Indiana St fall to a NAIA school? Right?

youwouldno
December 15th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Yeah, and Indiana State is terrible.

Usually, NAIA just isn't good football. I'm sorry. They can do their thing but it's ridiculous to just say I-AA fans should watch it. NAIA has a playoff system like I-AA, just with vastly inferior teams. If Carroll played Furman or App or UNH or any team like that 500 times, they would win 0.

catbob
December 15th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Usually, NAIA just isn't good football. I'm sorry. They can do their thing but it's ridiculous to just say I-AA fans should watch it. NAIA has a playoff system like I-AA, just with vastly inferior teams. If Carroll played Furman or App or UNH or any team like that 500 times, they would win 0.

Okay, nobody watch it so it stops getting televised. Also, IA fans stop watching IAA playoff games.

Tod
December 15th, 2005, 01:14 PM

I doubt your math. But, I would bet that Carroll could beat most, if not all, of the mid-majors.

catbob
December 15th, 2005, 01:15 PM
I doubt your math. But, I would bet that Carroll could beat most, if not all, of the mid-majors.

Not to mention their attendance would put them in the top 70% probably.

grizband
December 15th, 2005, 01:22 PM

So we want I-A teams, ESPN, and the sports world to pay attention to us, even though our top teams would lose to USC every single time they played, yet when mention of a good team is brought up from NAIA, then we just say no way? That sounds a little hypocritical to me. Rather than having a little brother complex, we should be embracing lower levels, helping them get the recognition from us that we want from I-A. All I was trying to do when posting this was give Carroll some recognition for trying to do what only one other team, in any football classification, has acheived.

TulsaBobcat
December 15th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Didn't Indiana St fall to a NAIA school? Right?

Yeah, the team that beat them is St. Francis, same team Carroll is playing for the National Championship.

youwouldno
December 15th, 2005, 01:31 PM
People can watch what they want. I just don't think this thread should be here. Carroll is not a I-AA program. They have no particular relation to I-AA, except maybe someday they will play Montana or MSU. If they do, look out, it's gonna be ugly.

jwfgeol
December 15th, 2005, 02:10 PM
People can watch what they want. I just don't think this thread should be here. Carroll is not a I-AA program. They have no particular relation to I-AA, except maybe someday they will play Montana or MSU. If they do, look out, it's gonna be ugly.

Actually Montana is seriously considering playing Carroll on September 2nd if a 12 game schedule is approved for I-AA. So this could happen sooner rather than later.

dbackjon
December 15th, 2005, 02:13 PM
The game is only a couple of hours from Chattanooga, in the boonies of Hardin County, TN

grizband
December 15th, 2005, 02:28 PM
By that guideline, I can see your argument for them not being here. I guess really only people who have a connection to the school (mostly people from Montana0 will even care that the game is on TV.

AZGrizFan
December 15th, 2005, 03:22 PM

So you're telling me there's a chance? :eek: :eek:

catamount man
December 15th, 2005, 03:29 PM
I'm gonna watch this game and am actually looking forward to it. Will probably tape and watch the D3 national championship game as well. I love small college football. Everything from I-AA to NAIA rocks! FWIW, Western Carolina started out in NAIA. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

youwouldno
December 15th, 2005, 03:48 PM
So you're telling me there's a chance? :eek: :eek:

My friend went to high school with one kid who then was a backup punter. He now gets PT at wide receiver for Carroll. If you're big or mildly athletic, you can make an NAIA team-- even the best one.

Here's my issue with NAIA and Div III, to a lesser extent Div II-- a lot of HS guys will just stop playing football before they would play at those levels. Sure, guys that go I-AA would prefer Florida or Southern Cal or Notre Dame... but they'll usually play I-AA.

Journalists and I-A fans hate on I-AA, but the reality is that, save for an elite group of players that all go to certain schools, and more schollies for all I-A teams, there isn't much difference between I-A and I-AA. There is a ridiculous difference between I-AA and NAIA... it's like the NFL versus college FB.

catbob
December 15th, 2005, 03:51 PM
My friend went to high school with one kid who then was a backup punter. He now gets PT at wide receiver for Carroll. If you're big or mildly athletic, you can make an NAIA team-- even the best one.

Here's my issue with NAIA and Div III, to a lesser extent Div II-- a lot of HS guys will just stop playing football before they would play at those levels. Sure, guys that go I-AA would prefer Florida or Southern Cal or Notre Dame... but they'll usually play I-AA.

Journalists and I-A fans hate on I-AA, but the reality is that, save for an elite group of players that all go to certain schools, and more schollies for all I-A teams, there isn't much difference between I-A and I-AA. There is a ridiculous difference between I-AA and NAIA... it's like the NFL versus college FB.

So what exactly is your point?

This thread was just letting people know about the title game, it was a harmless thread. All you've done is bash NAIA football.

Why?

youwouldno
December 15th, 2005, 03:57 PM
I'm explaining why I-AA fans don't have to automatically root for all lower divisions.

And my main argument was that the thread isn't germane.

putter
December 15th, 2005, 03:58 PM
So what exactly is your point?

This thread was just letting people know about the title game, it was a harmless thread. All you've done is bash NAIA football.

Why?

Exactly! youwouldno the point of the thread is that they have a chance to win 4 NC in a row. No one said that they could beat YSU or App St. did they? Give it a rest and just go away from the thread if you hate it that much. The rest of us can give props to a program that has a chance to do something only 1 other team has ever done.

If non I-AA is your point then you to bitch when someone talks about any I-A team, which encompases a lot of threads here.

P.S. --> No one was forcing anyone to root for a lower division school. Why couldn't you just say good luck and leave it at that? :confused:

jwfgeol
December 15th, 2005, 04:05 PM
And my main argument was that the thread isn't germane.

This thread isn't germane.

This is jermaine...

http://www.nndb.com/people/402/000025327/jermaine-sized.jpg

youwouldno
December 15th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Exactly! youwouldno the point of the thread is that they have a chance to win 4 NC in a row. No one said that they could beat YSU or App St. did they? Give it a rest and just go away from the thread if you hate it that much. The rest of us can give props to a program that has a chance to do something only 1 other team has ever done.

If non I-AA is your point then you to bitch when someone talks about any I-A team, which encompases a lot of threads here.

P.S. --> No one was forcing anyone to root for a lower division school. Why couldn't you just say good luck and leave it at that? :confused:

So I should also root for USC?

Heck, I'm rooting AGAINST Carroll.

JBB
December 15th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Mt. Tech, Carrolls conference rival came to Fargo a couple of yrs ago when no DI-AA team or DII would schedule us because of the transition. They were a very good looking football team, well coached, well conditioned and game players. They got beat decidedly but deserved all the respect they got.

Im a big fan of College Football too, all levels. The NAIA title will be a good game. There will be some great players on the field and stakes are high. It could be every bit as exciting as the DI-AA title game Friday which I am really looking forward to!

grizband
December 15th, 2005, 05:07 PM
There is a problem with this statement. The problem is that a lot of people who start for Carroll not only started for their schools, but were all-state selections. Tyler Emmert, the QB, was a first team all state, and the AA MVP (AA is the highest classification in the state). Many of them also played in the East/West Shrine Game, the MonDak game, and many other all-star games. True, many of them couldn't play I-AA and their team couldn't beat yours, but they are a good team nonetheless. A few Carroll players actually are Griz dropdowns.

youwouldno
December 15th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I know. Isn't their kicker a Utah transfer?

I already said they had some good players. But football is a team sport. A lot of guys play for Carroll who are not good athletes or sound football players. And they're by far the best NAIA team. From what I hear, some of their opponents are REALLY bad, as in QBs who can't throw a spiral half the time bad.

grizband
December 15th, 2005, 05:33 PM
I know. Isn't their kicker a Utah transfer?

I already said they had some good players. But football is a team sport. A lot of guys play for Carroll who are not good athletes or sound football players. And they're by far the best NAIA team. From what I hear, some of their opponents are REALLY bad, as in QBs who can't throw a spiral half the time bad.
I started looking at their roster, and I got to at least 25 high school all-state people. Sure someof them are bad, but most are pretty good. If they wanted, they could probably go D-II, but their school is too small (less than 2000 kids, around 1300). This isn't meant as smack here, I just want to defend my in state school :)

youwouldno
December 15th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Being all-state in Montana-- no offense-- doesn't mean much about someone's ability at the collegiate level. Like I've been saying, some are good-- Emmert could play for a lot of programs-- but most are just guys who wanted to hang around and be the toast of the town, while on the team at least.

Tailbone
December 15th, 2005, 05:53 PM
I don't care what level you play at, 4 consecutive championships is insane. Go Saints! Saints have the most accurate passer in college football history in Tyler Emmert, with a 4 year career completion % of what, 72%? Someone help me out here.

Paraphrased from http://www.helenair.com/articles/20...01120605_04.txt

He broke the career completion record and also became the first quarterback to complete over 1,000 passes at his level in Saturday's semifinal win over the University of Sioux Falls. He is now just 22 completions away from the all-division college record of 1,039 set by NCAA Division I-AA performer Marcus Brady of Cal State-Northridge. His total (1,017) passed both the NCAA Division II and III records during the USF game.

He is now 1,017 for 1,437, which improved his completion percentage to 70.8 percent. The all-division college record for quarterbacks throwing a minimum of 1,000 passes is 69 percent held by Chris Hatcher of Valdosta State (1991-94). Dusty Bonner, also of Valdosta State, connected on 72.7 percent in 2000-01, but had less than 1,000 attempts.

Tyler Emmert would need to throw 16 straight incomplete passes to fall below 70 percent. If he throws 30 passes against St. Francis this weekend he will need to complete 10 to stay above 70 percent. He would need to throw 36 straight incomplete passes to fall below Hatcher's all-division record.

The win ran Emmert's career record as a starter to 50-3 and he is believed to be the only quarterback to lead his team to 50 wins in college history.

His five TD passes moved his career total to 107 and he added 384 yards to his NAIA record for total yards, which now stands at 13,681. The NAIA record for TD passes is 113.

Emmert's career pass efficiency mark is at 164.6 and it could be the best ever in the NAIA, however, the NAIA.org web site does not have that category in its career record list.

catbob
December 15th, 2005, 06:06 PM
This isn't supposed to be a NAIA/IAA/HS/Junior High thread.

Bottom line - if you WANT to (no one is forcing you youwouldno) watch a championship game of football for all the marbles, and watch a chance to see history written, then watch the game.

If you are going to whine about how these kids couldn't start for a HS team, then DON'T WATCH THE FREAKING GAME.

griz37
December 15th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Being all-state in Montana-- no offense-- doesn't mean much about someone's ability at the collegiate level. Like I've been saying, some are good-- Emmert could play for a lot of programs-- but most are just guys who wanted to hang around and be the toast of the town, while on the team at least.

What state are you from? How do you know that just because players come from Montana doesn't mean much?

JohnStOnge
December 15th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Thats the team. I knew about Mount Union, talk about domination.

To me that's the most impressive college football program of all time. Not much exposure because they're DIII, but they're playing with the same rules as everyone else in their Division. 14 consecutive conference championships. 7 national championships in the past 11 years. To this point they've only lost 8 games in the past 14 years.

They topped Oklahoma's 47 game win streak to set a record in 1999 at 54, lost one game, then won 55 more in a row so that they now have the two longest NCAA win streaks in history.

There is no football program that has come even remotely close to the dominance at its level as Mount Union has has.

Ronbo
December 15th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Carroll College offers 29 scholarships so I would imagine they would be competitive with the bottom half of I-AA and would beat the no schollie programs.

youwouldno
December 15th, 2005, 08:35 PM
What state are you from? How do you know that just because players come from Montana doesn't mean much?

Virginia-- Tidewater (Virginia Beach), then Furman in Greenville. Both football hot spots at the HS level.

My point is that Montana has a fairly small population but big land area... HS athletics is tough in that situation. Oh, and its COLD in the winter. Some guys are going to be all-state that aren't necessarily good college prospects.

Heck, that happens to a lesser degree in Florida, Georgia, and other states with good HS football. It's just more likely to happen in Montana, where the competition is less intense due to the various factors. There's a reason so many Montana players come from out of state.

Bub
December 15th, 2005, 09:39 PM
The quality of NAIA, just like D-III and D-II, depends on the area of the country you're from. I know nothing of NAIA in the west, but in the Upper Midwest it is good football. So is D-III and D-II. The main difference between NAIA and I-AA is size and speed, just like the difference between I-AA and I-A. It is good football.

I'm not basing this opinion on what my friend told me. :doh: I'm basing it on having watched NAIA games.

If we can't support other classifications of football why should the majority of fans, who are I-A fans, care about I-AA football.

This is a football website, Robert's Rules of Order don't apply. :bang:

Tod
December 15th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Casey FitzSimmons played for Carroll on thier first NC team:

http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=30&season=7

griz37
December 15th, 2005, 11:57 PM
in Montana, where the competition is less intense due to the various factors. There's a reason so many Montana players come from out of state.

How in the world can you say the competition is less intense. Have you ever been to a High School football game in Montana? Is it as fast & hard hitting as the stuff we saw on Friday Night Lights & takes place in Texas, probably not but I guarantee you it is every bit as intense. Grandma Beverly doesn't run out on the field in between plays & pass out cider. Thats like me saying "All the linemen in Virginia are about 165 because they don't grow big farm boys like here in Montana." It is a ridiculous statement w/absolutely no basis.

TexasTerror
December 16th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Saw the NAIA basketball rankings. Carroll is top 10 in M's and W's basketball. Helluva program they got there!

UAalum72
December 16th, 2005, 08:41 AM
What exactly is the relationship between the NAIA and NCAA? Are NAIA schools members of the NCAA? they're mentioned in the NCAA handbook. How much are they regulated and recognized by the NCAA?

They're unfamiliar to me because there are no NAIA football schools within about 500 miles (Geneva in Beaver Falls PA may be the closest) and very few NAIA basketball teams; Albany was in the NAIA BB district tournament in the 1950's.

RockyMtnGriz
December 16th, 2005, 09:18 AM
NAIA and NCAA have nothing to do with each other. NAIA is a separate governing body for college athletics. Schools are not members of both (except in vary rare circumstances (sp.), I believe Western Oregon was NAIA in football and NCAA III in all other sports for awhile). NAIA sponsors the same sports as NCAA and holds championships just like NCAA (playoffs). But, NAIA consists of much smaller schools (up to about 1500 in size) and allows limited scholarships up to 29. Most offer 10-20. NAIA would be equivelant to average NCAA Division II in quality of play.

See the Helmet project for all NAIA football playing schools. Helmet Project (http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/)

UAalum72
December 16th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks. The NCAA handbook does mention the NAIA regarding recruiting visits, transfers, and post-season competition - like the I-AA playoff games, the NAIA championship is excluded from the maximum number of games allowed [ rule 17.11.15.2(h) ] - so the relationship was unclear.

putter
December 16th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Unfortunately after reading youwouldno's posts it just confirms that he is exactly what we don't like about the I-A supporters...people who really know nothing about what they are talking about. Is NAIA lower than I-AA? Yes, it is supposed to be but to make comments like you are a rural state and therefore can not be competitive or have good kids is just uninformed and unjustified. A team from Great Falls Montana, CM Russell high school have played teams from Idaho, Wyoming and, yes, Texas and have won ALL those games.

JALMOND
December 16th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Some thoughts and insight to NAIA football from myself (a former student trainer/video coordinator for Rocky Mountain College, member of NAIA's Frontier Conference and rival to Carroll College)...

1. Sure some NAIA's scrape the bottom of the barrel when it comes to talent, but like the other classes, they do find diamonds in the rough. Like the other classes, those teams that are successful will continue to attract talent as well.

2. Carroll has always had great NAIA teams, going back to the Petrino era of the 80's. Carroll, being a traditionally Catholic college, has an open scholarship with both Butte Central and Billings Central, the only two Catholic high schools in Montana. Carroll will offer partial scholarships to anyone from those two schools who want to attend Carroll.

3. Not everyone who plays NAIA can play I-AA, but there are some who can. The "trickledown" effect is most evident in NAIA football. While at RMC, our starting defensive ends came to us from Maine and Wyoming respectfully (universities, not states). In the NFL, there are currently more players from my alma mater (RMC) than the I-AA team I cover (Portland State).

Some are right, this thread does not belong in a I-AA discussion (should probably have been in Other Sports). But the quality of football played by NAIA is hardly inferior. In the words of Speedy Claxton when he played basketball at Hofstra, "If you are good enough, the scouts will find you."

In closing, I will say that even though it is good that Carroll is going for its third title in a row, being a Rocky grad I must say "It will be a cold day in hell before I cheer on the Fighting Saints."

grizband
December 16th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Nice to hear from you Jalmond on this topic, someone who played in the league. Who, pray tell, is in the NFL from Rocky? I can think of one, but no more.

RockyMtnGriz
December 16th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Chris Horn (http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/chris_horn/)

Other NAIA Alumn in pros (http://www.naiafootball.net/fb/proPlayers.php)

putter
December 16th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Don't forget Bob Bees(sp) who, I believe, I still coaching for the Titans and coaching in NFL Europe.

grizbeer
December 16th, 2005, 05:16 PM
2. Carroll has always had great NAIA teams, going back to the Petrino era of the 80's. Carroll, being a traditionally Catholic college, has an open scholarship with both Butte Central and Billings Central, the only two Catholic high schools in Montana. Carroll will offer partial scholarships to anyone from those two schools who want to attend Carroll.
Can't beleive you forgot Missoula Loyola. http://lsh.k12.mt.us/

elkmcc
December 17th, 2005, 12:01 PM
In closing, I will say that even though it is good that Carroll is going for its third title in a row, being a Rocky grad I must say "It will be a cold day in hell before I cheer on the Fighting Saints."

Just for the record Jal the Saints are going for their 4'th consecutive title not 3'rd. And I will add that being a UM and Carroll Alum I for one will be eternally grateful that you are neither. Now excuse me as I put on my Carroll sweatshirt and ready myself to cheer on the Saints from Montana.

BTW, congrats to App St as well as to UNI. They both represented I-AA admirably.

Cap'n, sorry about the loss. They hurt, I know. A tremendous run nevertheless.

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Unfortunately after reading youwouldno's posts it just confirms that he is exactly what we don't like about the I-A supporters...people who really know nothing about what they are talking about. Is NAIA lower than I-AA? Yes, it is supposed to be but to make comments like you are a rural state and therefore can not be competitive or have good kids is just uninformed and unjustified. A team from Great Falls Montana, CM Russell high school have played teams from Idaho, Wyoming and, yes, Texas and have won ALL those games.

Who'd they play from Texas? This is the first I've heard of it. Was this a smaller Texas school and not one of our more nationally-known schools (i.e Southlake Carroll, #1 in the nation this year, I believe or Katy)...

maroon
December 17th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Carroll 17 USF 3 End of first half.

grizband
December 17th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Carroll wins 27-10, to win thier 4th title in a row.

JALMOND
December 17th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Just for the record Jal the Saints are going for their 4'th consecutive title not 3'rd. And I will add that being a UM and Carroll Alum I for one will be eternally grateful that you are neither. Now excuse me as I put on my Carroll sweatshirt and ready myself to cheer on the Saints from Montana.

BTW, congrats to App St as well as to UNI. They both represented I-AA admirably.

Cap'n, sorry about the loss. They hurt, I know. A tremendous run nevertheless.

Sorry about the slight, elk. And the fact that you are a Carroll alum explains alot to me...

Carroll can get the athletes, Rocky will get the scholars.

elkmcc
December 17th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Sorry about the slight, elk. And the fact that you are a Carroll alum explains alot to me...

Carroll can get the athletes, Rocky will get the scholars.
:nono:
Meet Tyler Emmert.
A guy that should make every Montanan proud.
Emmert Named to 2005 Scholar-Athlete Class (http://naia.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/103105aab.html)

Carroll's Emmert much like Leinart (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05350/623342.stm)

Bio (http://www.carroll.edu/athletics/football/players.php?&player_id=126)

Carroll gets both.