PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky playoff possibility

GrizzlyBill
October 6th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I think the BSC could send more than two teams to the playoffs (3???---4???): UM, MSU, WSU, and/or perhaps EWU). I haven't actually plowed through all the possible scenarios of how conference play might go from here on out, but as of now there seems to be at least 4 teams with the quality of team to compete nationally.

How many BSC teams have a realistic hope right now of reaching 7 D-I wins this year?

89Hen
October 6th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Weber has the toughest road. They already have three losses and have EWU, Montana and CalPoly left to go.

MSU certainly can get to 8 wins even with loses to EWU and Montana, but they do have the DII in there.

But we don't know if the NCAA will reverse course on EWU. If they don't, I only see Montana and MSU going.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 6th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Well the committee is still out regarding EWU's appeal. The hearing August 17th went favorably, and a decision was supposed to be made in 4-6 weeks from that date which has come and passed. If they hadn't changed their minds or weren't considering to reverse the ban, then we would have heard from the committee by now. So no news is good news. It's been suggested that they're delaying a firm decision so as to see what EWU can do. If we make the 7+ DI wins, then they drop the ban. If we don't, it stays.

Right now Coach Baldwin has the team focused on one thing: beating next week's opponent. No looking ahead and worrying about upcoming games or if we'll be eligible to participate in the playoffs, just the current opponent. One game.

GannonFan
October 6th, 2009, 03:22 PM
What's the potential EWU ban for again??

EdubAlum
October 6th, 2009, 03:26 PM
too many coaches, and allowing ineligible players to practice with the team

JALMOND
October 6th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Well the committee is still out regarding EWU's appeal. The hearing August 17th went favorably, and a decision was supposed to be made in 4-6 weeks from that date which has come and passed. If they hadn't changed their minds or weren't considering to reverse the ban, then we would have heard from the committee by now. So no news is good news. It's been suggested that they're delaying a firm decision so as to see what EWU can do. If we make the 7+ DI wins, then they drop the ban. If we don't, it stays.

Right now Coach Baldwin has the team focused on one thing: beating next week's opponent. No looking ahead and worrying about upcoming games or if we'll be eligible to participate in the playoffs, just the current opponent. One game.

That is usually the best thing for a football team to do. Just worry about the next game and leave the playoff possibilities to the fans.

cats2506
October 6th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Its still too early to really discuss this, Sac, UNC and PSU all have the possibility of spoiling sombodys season. NAU is not out of things yet either. The only team that anybody can pencil in as a W is ISU.

CopperCat
October 6th, 2009, 09:12 PM

What is the rationale behind that? I would think that the ban had nothing to do with current performance of the team as far as wins and losses. Sounds kinda sketchy, but I don't have all the info.

Walkon79
October 6th, 2009, 09:16 PM
What is the rationale behind that? I would think that the ban had nothing to do with current performance of the team as far as wins and losses. Sounds kinda sketchy, but I don't have all the info.

My thoughts exactly. A ban is a ban, regardless of the performance of the 2009 squad. If they don't think the sanction is justified lift it now. If not, then too bad.