PDA

View Full Version : Homecomings

Grizaholic17
October 5th, 2009, 11:11 AM
This week is homecoming week for the Griz. I am always curious about other teams' traditions and such. With that being said, how does your school celebrate homecoming, and do many alumni make it to the game?

andy7171
October 5th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Thousands of Towson students celebrate Homecoming by getting drunk in the parking lot while the game is being played. I may join them this year.

biggie
October 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM
App's this weekend. Usually our biggest crowd every year.

Grizaholic17
October 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Thousands of Towson students celebrate Homecoming by getting drunk in the parking lot while the game is being played. I may join them this year.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

I'm hoping this homecoming isn't a game I want to forget.

CatFan22
October 5th, 2009, 11:41 AM
MSU's as well.

Thunderstruck84
October 5th, 2009, 11:44 AM
By watching our team get pushed around by a team that they should beat easily.

Husky Alum
October 5th, 2009, 11:44 AM
NU's homecoming tradition is losing the game - with the exception of when we play UNH, somehow we find a way of beating them.

We've moved homecoming the past couple of years to coincide with a hockey game, so we can sell out the hockey game.

This year we play Hofstra in football and play Maine in hockey that weekend (both Fri and Sat nites).

We used to have a ton of students (relatively speaking since it's Parsons) tailgate in the parking area, but since we got Astro Play, parking has been reduced by about 75%.

Homecoming at NU has been paired with Parents' Weekend and unpaird with Parents' Weekend in the past.

So I guess what I'm saying is that we have no real homecoming traditions, other than losing the game.

Original_RMC
October 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM
This week is homecoming week for the Griz. I am always curious about other teams' traditions and such. With that being said, how does your school celebrate homecoming, and do many alumni make it to the game?

Every year since 2001 we have an Alumni Flag Football game at the stadium early in the morning. (kickoff was at Noon as we had to play at 8am)
Everyone gets their old game jerseys to wear.
Running scoreboard.
Usually get between 50-70 former players plus their family back on campus each year but only certain number play in the flag game.

smcwildcat
October 5th, 2009, 12:18 PM
UNH hc vs Nova should be a great game...unh d is legit should be a good crowd for the game

UNIFanSince1983
October 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM
UNI back in the 90s celebrated homecoming with a riot on College Hill (a street with many bars that lots of college students frequent for those who aren't familiar with Cedar Falls). Since then people from all over Iowa come to UNI for homecoming even Iowa and ISU students. They used to just block off college hill road and people would just congregate there. Now they put barricades in the middle of the street, and they have really really clamped down. People still congregate in CF for homecoming weekend, but it hasn't been the same as it was in the late 90s early 2000s.

Recently we have been having Southern Illinois as our opponent which usually gets the game sold out, and makes it a really big deal for UNI fans!

HIU 93
October 5th, 2009, 12:24 PM
No matter what the team is doing...

20K in the stands, at least 10K hanging in the union, around the field, and in the parking lot. Some party being "the" party, the frat tailgate- the only real tailgate at the whole thing, random (or well worked) hookups, still trying to land the one that got away, and not making it back to the hotel until the sun comes up Sunday morning.

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 12:26 PM
NORTH CAROLINA A&T STATE UNIVERSITY HAS THE BEST HOMECOMING ON EARTH! I DARE ANYONE xcoughx Howard xcoughx TO PROVE THIS WRONG!

Grizaholic17
October 5th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Does anyone else beside Montana do a homecoming parade?

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 12:33 PM

Most HBCU's have a Homecoming parade.

BTW: It is Murray State's Homecoming this week. Too bad we have Jacksonville State coming to town. xnonono2x

Uncle Buck
October 5th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Hofstra will do floats etc. Students getting smashed in the parking lot and maybe, just maybe getting in to see the game.

I know what i will be doing, breakfast and lunch on the grill with a whole lot of bull*****ting before kickoff.

Thumper 76
October 5th, 2009, 12:42 PM
We have a parade and a laundry list of activities the week leading up to the game for our homecoming, dubbed Hobo Days. I'm sure Rabid can give a much better exlination than I can, so I'll wait till he sees this and describes it better than I can.

JackFan
October 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM
NAU does not have homecoming for a few weeks but since this thread popped up ill share our traditions. Well the morning of the game all the bars in the historic downtown area open up at 6am for “Tequila Sunrise” and are flocked by of age college students and other people from around town, this celebration carries on throughout the morning when the parade route goes through the same area. The main items are the old logging wheels which are used in parade. It is also probably the best tailgating of the year as the frats and sorties go all out.

Husky Alum
October 5th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Northeastern had one until this year.

Didn't make sense to have a parade down Huntington Ave. when the football field is a couple miles from campus.

McNeese75
October 5th, 2009, 01:35 PM
NAU does not have homecoming for a few weeks but since this thread popped up ill share our traditions. Well the morning of the game all the bars in the historic downtown area open up at 6am for “Tequila Sunrise” and are flocked by of age college students and other people from around town, this celebration carries on throughout the morning when the parade route goes through the same area. The main items are the old logging wheels which are used in parade. It is also probably the best tailgating of the year as the frats and sorties go all out.

xrolleyesx Start drinking at sun up, stumble outside to watch the parade, stumble back in and drink some more, go to the game.

That about sums it up based on my observations last year xthumbsupx

GOKATS
October 5th, 2009, 01:45 PM
MSU has a parade. Here's this weeks Homecoming schedule:

http://alumni.montana.edu/events/homecoming/index.php?page=schedule

Fresh snow on the ground and still snowing, forecast for Sat. is 24 and partly sunny. NAU coming for the Homecoming game. Should be fun!!xthumbsupx

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 01:50 PM
"The Greatest Homecoming on Earth" Schedule for Alumni
http://www.ncat.edu/~newsinfo/homecoming/2009/alumni.html

Students
http://www.ncat.edu/~newsinfo/homecoming/2009/students.html

darell1976
October 5th, 2009, 02:08 PM
UND has a parade and we had showed South Dakota you are not going to win our home opener on Homecoming!!

SactoHornetFan
October 5th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Off and on we have a Homecoming Parade. Not this year. We do have a Golden Grads luncheon the Thursday before the game celebrating grads from 50 years ago that year. On Friday, we have a Pep Rally in the quad. On Saturday, there will be the Homecoming Festival in the parking lot next to Hornet Stadium and the Alumni Center for four hrs prior to kickoff.

Our Homecoming is this Saturday vs. Idaho State.

LawDutch
October 5th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I would add to UB's assessment of the Hofstra Homecoming that it's the only game on the schedule that the undergrads show up to. Most of the students come because of Greek-life, most of the people at the game think we're in D-II.

CamelCityAppFan
October 5th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Is there enough snow for the snowmobiles in October?

:D xpeacex

RowdyRabbit
October 5th, 2009, 03:38 PM
We have a parade and a laundry list of activities the week leading up to the game for our homecoming, dubbed Hobo Days. I'm sure Rabid can give a much better exlination than I can, so I'll wait till he sees this and describes it better than I can.

Not to nitpick, but it's Hobo Week leading up to Hobo Day.

appfan2008
October 5th, 2009, 03:43 PM
asu has a homecoming parade... back as a student and in the band it would be quite a long day!

T-Dog
October 5th, 2009, 03:45 PM
App has lip synch events all week, including a pep rally and bonfire Friday night. Saturday morning has unquestionably the world's slowest parade through town. There's also a bunch of events for alumni with open bars.

Building homecoming floats is a big deal. I stayed up til 6 am Saturday making a float, slept in chair next to the float until 9, then finished it and did the parade. Then of course, tailgating, the game, and Saturday night's events. Then sleep for 16 hours.

There's also random drinking going on during the course of all this.

Here's the website.

http://homecoming.appstate.edu/

GOKATS
October 5th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Drinking is not allowed during Bobcat Homecoming events................................

Guzzling on the other hand is strongly encouraged.xnodxxnodxxbeerchugxxbeerchugx

Husky Alum
October 5th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I would add to UB's assessment of the Hofstra Homecoming that it's the only game on the schedule that the undergrads show up to. Most of the students come because of Greek-life, most of the people at the game think we're in D-II.

Ibid for Northeastern.

Most of the Greeks come for the crowning of the Mayor of Huntington Avenue (Our homecoming King) and assorted festivities, then they leave.

Thumper 76
October 5th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Not to nitpick, but it's Hobo Week leading up to Hobo Day.

See, this is why I let the other, smarter Jack fans explain this one :D

SU Jag
October 5th, 2009, 05:28 PM
We start that sunday and it heats up as the week goes on. We usually bring in someone like maze and frankie beverly, and a few other big names for concerts that weekend. The stepshow on friday night is also a big event and the tailgating usually starts that thursday. By saturday we have over 100,000 on the bluff for the homecoming of homecomings! Take that Howard! Lol!

Grizaholic17
October 5th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Is there enough snow for the snowmobiles in October?

:D xpeacex

might actually need them this year! :p

I must say, the floats that greek row puts out are sometimes less than I would expect. But my aunt (and UM alum) baton twirls to lead off. haha

Redbird Ray
October 5th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Maybe this is just me, but I swear, it feels like there are 30K people at ISU's homecoming games (tailgating, actual game attendance is around 15K). The unfortunate thing about ISU is that students don't care so much about the team as they do about getting smashed and reuniting with other alums, which is all good, but if we ever got all of our tailgaters into the stadium, it would be a big time atmosphere!

Nothing extraordinary about our traditions for HC. Parade down College Avenue (runs through the middle of campus). Lots of tailgating, people usually hit up the bars in Uptown Normal afterward. The real serious partying goes on in Downtown Bloomington later. I like to be a creepy old guy and hit up house parties with the underagers because they seem more impressed with my mid-20s accomplishments and wisdom and ability to shotgun beers quicker than they can.

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 06:58 PM
We start that sunday and it heats up as the week goes on. We usually bring in someone like maze and frankie beverly, and a few other big names for concerts that weekend. The stepshow on friday night is also a big event and the tailgating usually starts that thursday. By saturday we have over 100,000 on the bluff for the homecoming of homecomings! Take that Howard! Lol!

We have that in Greensboro, TOO. xcoffeex

Walkon79
October 5th, 2009, 11:16 PM

Parade in Bozeman as well. We used to celebrate homecoming by going to the Rocking R in our bathrobes at 8:00 am. Then marching in the homecoming parade (wasted) in turbins and face paint playing kazoos.

Sadly the Rocking R and the Frat are both long gone.xbawlingxxbawlingx

EKU05
October 5th, 2009, 11:18 PM
The quirkiest EKU homecoming tradition is for the PA announcer to page a non-existant man named "Bruno Wassertile" to the press box during a specific point in the game.

We also have a fairly big parade.

chrisattsu
October 6th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Tradition is huge deal Tarleton State University. Before students start their first semester at Tarleton they go to Duck Camp (a brainwashing camp that teaches them about University traditions, history, and lore). Our mascot is the Texans, so the duck gets confusing until you dig deeper. The Duck refers to Oscar P, John Tarleton's pet duck, whose spirit is called upon by a secret spirit organization to get Tarletonites into a fervor.

For the Texas posters, we can get rather Aggie-esque in our traditions. IE-- They rarely make sense to the outside world.

Homecoming is a weeklong affair where nothing really gets done because you have a different event every night.

Sunday-
The Tarleton Jazz band performs an annual concert on the Langdon Center Lawn

Monday-
Silver Bugle Hunt
The Silver bugle was a traveling trophy between North Texas Agricultural College (Now UT-Arlington) and Tarleton. During the final game between the two schools, NTAC won. They kept the bugle and ended up "misplacing it". Now its a Tarleton trivia contest where teams run all over campus answering questions to find a mini-silver-bugle.

Tuesday-
Beauty and the Beast
Each dorm ramp partners 1 guy with 1 girl. They have a theme and then crossdress to it for a pageant in the Student Center.

Wednesday-
Yell Contest, Snake Dance and Beat the Drum

For Yell Contest, students and alumni pack Wisdom Gymnasium for a contest. Student organizations develop different cheers (and/or Step routines) that show their school spirit. Applause dictates the winner. Winner gets recognized and gets to beat the Drum after the Plowboys.

Snake dance involves people locking arms and moving to a particular location. When I went to school there, It was used to get everyone to move from campus to the Bonfire site. Now, the bonfire is moved to the campus farm so it is not that simple. Snake dance is used to clear the gym and head the President's House for the drum beating.

Drum beating
During the rivalry years, the students used to stay awake all night guarding the bonfire. They did this by tapping a drum day and night while it was being built, until the game. Now it is a homecoming event where, students sit in front of the President's House beating Oil drums 24 hours a day (they are replaced when they are destroyed) from the end of Yell Contest (Midnight Wednesday Night) until Kick off of the Homecoming game on Saturday.

Thursday-
Fish and T
Over the course of the week, each male dorm ramp builds a "block T" and each female dorm ramp builds a "fish". They are placed on display in the Student Center on Thursday morning and the judges award prizes to the best entries.

Midnight Breakfast
Thursday night of homecoming, the Student government (particularly the Freshman Representative Council) feeds the entire campus. People line up hours ahead of time just to eat bacon, eggs, and purple pancakes.

Friday-
LV Risenger Bonfire
Bonfire is the major event of homecoming to this day. It is built by the Plowboys,
a spirit organization shows up to every Athletic event dressed in their famous white shirt, purple chaps, and a cowboy hat. It is hard to become a Plowboy, basically you rush like a greek organization for an entire semester and they crop gets cut down to 2 or 3 per year I believe. Once you are no longer a recruit, this is when you receive your chaps.

Saturday-
Homecoming 5k. 8am

Alumni Breakfast. 9am

Homecoming Parade. 10am
The University allows anyone from town or gown to participate. Greeks (and other Orgs) pair up and create elaborate floats. Most spend all week partying, and cram to finish their float (with the help / prodding of alumni) on Friday night after bonfire in true college style.

Texan Alley Tailgating. After the parade until kickoff at 6pm.

Football game. It seems like we try to schedule rival Abilene Christian most years. The Marching Band performs something special, and they announce the King and Queen.

IcePlex Step Show.
Zeta Phi Beta hosts a step show following the game.

By Saturday night, everyone is exhausted from running on fumes all week. As a young alumnus, I come back on Friday catch up with old friends, drink too much, stay up to late helping the Collegiates finish the float.

Honestly, I am trying to remember if I forgot anything. If I did, it doesn't really matter to you because here is more information than you will ever need.

R.A.
October 6th, 2009, 12:25 AM
NORTH CAROLINA A&T STATE UNIVERSITY HAS THE BEST HOMECOMING ON EARTH! I DARE ANYONE xcoughx Howard xcoughx TO PROVE THIS WRONG!

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Aggies, come one. Get serious.

FCS world, Howard has the best Homecoming in America.

The celebs are all over our campus during our homecoming.

Howard Homecoming is a huge cultural event in the African American community.

It's the best, hands down.

R.A.
October 6th, 2009, 12:28 AM

xrolleyesxxlolxxlolxxlolx

First the Aggies, now the Jaguars.

Pay attention FCS world.

Look how our "rivals" admire Howard University Homecoming.

And I haven't even posted any pictures or the songs by famous artists naming Howard Homecoming in their songs.

I'm playing nice

Big Dawg
October 6th, 2009, 12:47 AM
http://www.rattlerhomecoming.com/

UNHWILDCATS05
October 6th, 2009, 08:08 AM
UNH Homecoming traditions:

Draw in a big crowd including lots of alumni who are coming back to "discover" the football team again and make sure to really piss them off by making sure everything is HORRIBLY managed, there is ridiculous traffic (2 hours just to get into tailgating lot), and the po-po act gestapo-esque. That way we will ensure that the alumni never come back and never give a dime to the school...

Oh ya.. and we always make sure to lose on top of that...

Monarch Nation
October 6th, 2009, 08:15 AM
This is ODU's first footall home coming, so we are getting right into the swing of things.

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 1
1pm Field Hockey vs William & Mary
POWHATAN FIELD

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 3
7pm - Meet the Homecoming Queen
WEBB CENTER

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 4
7pm - Soccer vs George Mason
SOCCER STADIUM

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 5
Time TBA - Community Service Project
6pm - Alumni Dinner
WEBB CENTER
8pm - Homecoming Concert (acts TBA)
TED CONSTANT CONVOCATION CENTER

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 6
Noon - Founder's Day Luncheon
TED CONSTANT CONVOCTION CENTER
Noon - 50th Reunion Luncheon
WEBB CENTER
6pm - Homcoming Pep Rally
7pm - Lady Monarchs Basketball Game (exh)
9pm - Comedy Show with Ben Bailey (ODU grad & Cash Cab host)

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 7
8:30am - BAC General Business Meeting
10am - Homecoming Parade
11am - Alumni Tent Opens
KAUFMAN MALL
Noon - Monarch March with Football Team & Coaches
2pm - Homecoming Game - ODU vs North Carolina Central
FOREMAN FIELD
7pm - Monarch Basketball Game (Exh)
BAC Reunion Midnight Cruise (departs from Waterside)

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 8
9am - BAC Reunion Farewell Lunch
COURTYARD MARRIOTT, NORFOLK
11am - BAC Worship Service
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, LAMBERT'S POINT

AggieManiac704
October 6th, 2009, 11:59 AM
A&T's Homecoming is more like a week-long holiday.....drinking, football, bands, plus tens of thousands of people flood greensboro for this....Halloween will be crazy this year

AppAlum2003
October 6th, 2009, 12:13 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Aggies, come one. Get serious.

FCS world, Howard has the best Homecoming in America.

The celebs are all over our campus during our homecoming.

Howard Homecoming is a huge cultural event in the African American community.

It's the best, hands down.

xrolleyesx

So what do all the white kids and latino kids that attend the school do during this event?

813Jag
October 6th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Don't forget that old Southern homecoming tradition, we used to lost the game. xlolx Nicholls St. for homecoming? xnonono2x

chrisattsu
October 6th, 2009, 12:21 PM
xrolleyesx

So what do all the white kids and latino kids that attend the school do during this event?

They are reminded of white privilege and become marginalized.

WestCoastAggie
October 6th, 2009, 12:24 PM
xrolleyesxxlolxxlolxxlolx

First the Aggies, now the Jaguars.

Pay attention FCS world.

Look how our "rivals" admire Howard University Homecoming.

And I haven't even posted any pictures or the songs by famous artists naming Howard Homecoming in their songs.

I'm playing nice

Wow ONE song by Luda and now HU has their panties in a bunch. xlolx

We have celebrities too walkin around A&T and Greensboro & we have the biggest acts at our Homecoming Concert too. Heck, Lil Wayne personally called us in 2007 to come back to perform! But, you don't see us bragging about that. xsmiley_wix

WestCoastAggie
October 6th, 2009, 12:26 PM
xrolleyesx

Aggies embrace EVERYBODY at our Homecoming! Heck, you don't even have to go to the school to be embraced by Aggies during homecoming.

WestCoastAggie
October 6th, 2009, 12:26 PM
They are reminded of white privilege and become marginalized.

WOW! xlolx

JALMOND
October 6th, 2009, 12:32 PM
From what I've seen, Portland State's homecoming is usually the Montana game whenever the Grizzlies play in Portland. Those years when the Griz do not play here, usually we wait for a game we won and the PA announcer will invite everyone to the homecoming activities afterward. Strange how that works.

Official homecoming is usually during basketball season. Why, I don't know.

Big Dawg
October 6th, 2009, 12:44 PM

We have celebrities too walkin around A&T and Greensboro & we have the biggest acts at our Homecoming Concert too. Heck, Lil Wayne personally called us in 2007 to come back to perform! But, you don't see us bragging about that. xsmiley_wix

Same with FAMU...FAMU's homecoming is definitely one of the top homecomings in the nation!!!xnodx

WestCoastAggie
October 6th, 2009, 12:58 PM
A&T's Homecoming is more like a week-long holiday.....drinking, football, bands, plus tens of thousands of people flood greensboro for this....Halloween will be crazy this year

We are going to have more people in Greensboro for Homecoming than UNC-Chapel Hill has on Franklin St, thanks to the city shutting it down. Franklin street on halloween was a North Carolina Tradition. xsmhx

Oh well. Maybe we should try to have Homecoming on Halloween every year!

Grizaholic17
October 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM
One thing I see is different from other teams, is that Montana's homecoming really doesn't attract too many more people than regular gameday (probably because all of the alums go to the games anyway). The Homecoming week itself is full of activities, including yell night on the oval and the band and the Prez speaking. But all in all, homecoming just means a more fired up atmosphere... but not necessarily a flood load of more people.

CamelCityAppFan
October 6th, 2009, 01:47 PM
But my aunt (and UM alum) baton twirls to lead off. haha

Cool...gotta have baton twirlers or it's not a real parade! xthumbsupx

JoshUCA
October 6th, 2009, 02:17 PM
UCA Homecoming (http://www.uca.edu/alumni/homecoming/)

http://www.uca.edu/alumni/homecoming/images/homecomingtshirt2009_lo_res.jpg

Alumni & Friends Homecoming 2009
"Can't Hide Your Bear Pride"

Sunday, Oct. 18
6 p.m. Minority Mentorship “Gospel Explosion”, Ida Waldran Auditorium

Monday, Oct. 19
10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Alumni Homecoming Art Exhibition, Baum Gallery

Tuesday, Oct. 20
5:30 p.m. Homecoming Pep Rally, Farris Center

Wednesday, Oct. 21
8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. TagUCA: Sidewalk Art Competition, behind Harrin Hall
9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Alumni Homecoming Art Exhibition, Baum Gallery
6 p.m. UCA vs Hip Hop: Madness in My Lyrics, Doyne Auditorium

Thursday, Oct. 22
10 a.m. – 7 p.m. Alumni Homecoming Art Exhibition, Baum Gallery
7:30 p.m. “The Folk Reunion”, Reynolds Performance Hall
Featuring Kingston Trio, Limeliters & The Brothers Four
8 p.m. Homecoming Bonfire, UCA Campus

Friday, Oct. 23
8 a.m. – 6 p.m. Homecoming Welcome Center, Buffalo Alumni Hall
8:30 a.m. - 5:15 p.m. UCA PT and OT Alumni Weekend Continuing Educ. Course,
Physical Therapy Ctr., Room 108
5 p.m. Occupational Therapy Reception,
Doyne Health Sciences Ctr. 3rd floor.
5 p.m. - 10 p.m. Pi Kappa Alpha Cookout, PIKE House
6 p.m. Alpha Sigma Tau Cocktail Hour,
Nu:U Day Spa and Salon, Conway
7 p.m. UCA Greek Show, Ida Waldran Auditorium
7 p.m. - 10 p.m. SOS 30-Year Reunion Reception, Student Center Ballroom
7 p.m. - 10 p.m. Alumni & Friends Homecoming Party,
Centennial Center at Centennial Valley Country Club
Featuring the 10-0-C Band from Memphis, TN
Advance ticket $25 / $30 after Oct. 16
To purchase tickets please call 501-852-2955
10 p.m. - Midnight SOS 30-Year Reunion Social,
Michelangelo's Ristorante, downtown Conway

Saturday, Oct. 24
8 a.m. – 3 p.m. Homecoming Welcome Center, Buffalo Alumni Hall
9 a.m. Half-Century Club Induction & Brunch, McCastlain Hall
Co-sponsored by UCA Alumni Association & College Square
9 a.m. - 2:15 p.m. UCA PT and OT Alumni Weekend Continuing Educ. Course,
Doyne Health Sciences Ctr., Room 309
10 a.m. Honors College Reception, McAlister Hall, Room 302
11 a.m. “Friends of the 59’ers” Social, Mirror Room – McAlister Hall
11 a.m. - Noon Sigma Phi Epsilon Alumni Reception
11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. Delta Zeta Founder's Day Alumnae Tea,
Student Center, Room 215
1 p.m. Alumni Homecoming Art Exhibition Reception, Baum Gallery
2 p.m. Alumni & Friends Homecoming Tailgate Party,
Crafton Alumni Pavilion
Catered by The Fish House
2:30 p.m. Homecoming Parade, UCA campus
4 p.m. Physical Therapy Alumni Weekend Reception and Open House,
Physical Therapy Ctr., Room 102
5:30 p.m Homecoming Court Coronation, Estes Stadium
6 p.m. UCA vs Nicholls State University, Estes Stadium
9 p.m. UCA Homecoming “Bear Bash”,
Centennial Center at Centennial Valley Country Club
Featuring the Mr. Happy Band
Advance ticket $15 / $20 after Oct. 16
To purchase tickets call 501-852-2955

TAILGATE PARTIES on Bruce Street
noon SOS, Farris Center Parking Lot
Pi Kappa Alpha
Honors College Alumni Chapter
Sigma Phi Epsilon
ROTC Alumni Chapter
1 p.m. Delta Zeta
2 p.m. Alumni & Friends Homecoming Tailgate Party,
Crafton Alumni Pavilion Catered by The Fish House
Sigma Tau Gamma
Alpha Sigma Tau
2 p.m. – 4 p.m. College of Education Alumni Chapter

Student Events (http://www.uca.edu/alumni/homecoming/studenthomecoming.php)

GOSPEL EXPLOSION
Sunday, Oct. 18, 6 p.m., Ida Waldran, Main Hall
Sponsored by Minority Mentorship Program.
For info, contact Sonja McMurray, [email protected] or 450-3135

KARAOKE NIGHT @ BEARS DEN PIZZA
“Calling All Bears”
Monday, Oct. 19, 8 p.m., Bears Den Pizza
Food Drive – Bring canned food item to Bears Den Pizza

HOMECOMING PEP RALLY
“Bear Pride on the Prowl”
Tuesday, Oct. 20, 5:30 p.m., Farris Center
- Chant competition & spirit stick given
- Homecoming Court announced
Food Drive – Bring canned food item to pep rally

TAG UCA: SIDEWALK ART COMPETITION
“102 Years of Leaving our Bear Tracks”
Wednesday, Oct. 21, 8 a.m.–4 p.m., sidewalks near Harrin Hall
Clothing Drive – bring new clothing items to receptacles outside Harrin Hall

BEAR BREAK
Come get a FREE smoothie and snack!
Wednesday, Oct. 21, Noon–1 p.m., Student Center Lawn
Sponsored by Smoothie King

UCA VS HIP HOP
Wednesday, Oct. 21, 6 p.m., Doyne Auditorium
Sponsored by Minority Mentorship Program

HOMECOMING LUNCH
Thursday, Oct. 22, Noon–2:30 p.m.,
Student Center Lawn (Rain location: Cafeteria)
Free with UCA ID - Live music - Sponsored by SGA
Clothing Drive – bring a new item of clothing to the lunch

HOMECOMING BONFIRE
“Bear Pride Unleashed”
Thursday, Oct. 22, 8 p.m., “The Pit” behind Physical Plant
-Fight Song Competition - Roast Smores!
-Live Music with a DJ
Clothing Drive – bring a new item of clothing to bonfire

SPBC HOMECOMING GREEK SHOW
Friday, Oct. 23, 7 p.m., Ida Waldran, Main Hall

SATURDAY, OCT. 24

BEAR HUNT TOY DRIVE
Bring new toys to receptacles located at the Crafton Alumni Pavilion and Estes Stadium gates.

80 PROOF “CAR SMASH”
2-6 p.m., Stadium Park parking lotDonate $1 to smash the car for one minute.

BANNER COMPETITION
Banners must be displayed by 2 p.m. on Oct. 24, along the end zone fence on Bruce St. facing stands. Banners should be creative, adhere to “Can’t Hide Your Bear Pride” theme and prominently display the name of the organization. Winners will be announced during the 3rd quarter in student section.Entry Deadline: Sept. 25, 2009

HOMECOMING PARADE
“Hunting for a Victory”
2:30 p.m., Donaghey & Bruce St.

UCA ALUMNI ASSOCIATION TAILGATE
All students are welcome to the Alumni tailgate!
2 – 5 p.m., Crafton Alumni Pavilion
Students $5 with UCA ID. Catered by the Fish House

WileECoyote06
October 6th, 2009, 02:20 PM
We are going to have more people in Greensboro for Homecoming than UNC-Chapel Hill has on Franklin St, thanks to the city shutting it down. Franklin street on halloween was a North Carolina Tradition. xsmhx

Oh well. Maybe we should try to have Homecoming on Halloween every year!

Um a lot of your crowd coming from the Triangle will go with NCCU's homecoming instead this year. Now get your homecoming off of our traditional weekend FARMERS!

Oh BTW, Halloween didn't get shut down, they just shut down the park and ride. Chapel Hill will still get 30-40K people as opposed to the 70K-80K they were getting before.

SU Jag
October 6th, 2009, 06:41 PM
xrolleyesx

Some these kats are so simple. xrolleyesx Just because Howard's homecomming is one of the largest African-American events of the year doesnt mean the white, blue, red, and green folks cant come have a good time. Thats the case for any HBCU event from the Bayou Classic to homecomming.

mrklean
October 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Some these kats are so simple. xrolleyesx Just because Howard's homecomming is one of the largest African-American events of the year doesnt mean the white, blue, red, and green folks cant come have a good time. Thats the case for any HBCU event from the Bayou Classic to homecomming.

Dude, let it go. THEY have negative thoughts of HBCU. It is what it is!!!

BTW, the best Home Comings Ive been to were FAMU 90,91,98 and Howard U. 98,2000, and 2003.

R.A.
October 6th, 2009, 08:53 PM
xrolleyesx

They go to the huge African American Cultural event xlolx

R.A.
October 6th, 2009, 08:55 PM

Come on, you listen to Biggie don't you?

WestCoastAggie
October 6th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Um a lot of your crowd coming from the Triangle will go with NCCU's homecoming instead this year. Now get your homecoming off of our traditional weekend FARMERS!

Oh BTW, Halloween didn't get shut down, they just shut down the park and ride. Chapel Hill will still get 30-40K people as opposed to the 70K-80K they were getting before.

Umm are you sure about both of these xconfusedx
1. Chapel Hill police went on Television last year discouraging people from traveling to Franklin street and enacted tactics to prevent as such.

2. Can you publish your study that shows the crowd coming from the Triangle will go to NCCU's Homecoming instead? I would love to see this xlolx

WestCoastAggie
October 6th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Come on, you listen to Biggie don't you?

Ok, two references xrolleyesx

Have you EVER been to Greensboro for our Homecoming? xconfusedx

Walkon79
October 6th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Bobcat Homecoming festivities:

Thursday, October 8th

8 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Stop by the Alumni Center - pick up your Homecoming schedule of events. Browse through yearbooks, enjoy the hospitality and visit for a little while.

9:00 p.m. "Go Cats" lighting at Residence Halls - see Hedges residents spell out Go Cats on the high rise halls - a great site!

9:00 p.m. - 12 a.m. Blue and Gold Ball - Student Alumni Association Dance. the Baxter Ballroom. $10/person or $15/couple.

Friday, October 9th Blue & Gold Friday

8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Visit the Alumni Center – Come visit us until 5 p.m. Come look at back issues of the Montanan yearbook and have a cookie and coffee. Relax and reminisce "at home."
All day Hello Walk – Stroll the campus Centennial Mall and say hello to fellow alumni, and current students and enjoy Homecoming Friday. Visit the Bookstore and load up on Bobcat gear!
All day Coffee Cats – Renne Library staff invite you to have coffee and take a tour of the beautifully renovated academic center of campus.

10:15 - 11:15 Campus Tour from an MSU student – meet at Ask-Us Desk in the SUB.

1 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. M-DAY – Hike to the "M" on Mount Baldy, established by the class of 1918. The first 100 climbers to the M get a t-shirt to commemorate your Homecoming hike. Sponsored by First Year Initiative (FYI), the MSU Alumni Association and the Vice President for Administration & Finance.

11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. President’s Homecoming Luncheon and Alumni Awards Ceremony – President Geoff Gamble's final Homecoming luncheon as MSU's 11th president, with special recognition of and awarding the recipients of the prestigious Blue and Gold Award and the Alumni Achievement Award. $18/person. Hannon Hall Dining Room.

2 p.m. Alumni Plaza and "Spirit" the Bobcat Dedication – Join the Alumni Association as we celebrate the newest addition to campus, a six-foot bronze bobcat called "Spirit." North of Montana Hall, at the sidewalk convergence of Linfield, Herrick and Montana halls. This will be a terrific celebration -- all alumni, friends and the public is welcome to attend. Reception to follow in Leigh Lounge.

3:30 - 5:00 p.m. MSU Historic Buildings Tour – hosted by the MSU Alumni
Association and City of Bozeman Historic Preservation department. Park and meet at the Alumni Center to begin the tour.

6:00 p.m. Homecoming Pep Rally - Downtown Bozeman, at Willson and Main Street. Sponsored by The Cannery, The Baucus Pub, 18 Miles from the Border, Chalet Sports, the Leaf & Bean, and the Downtown Bozeman Association.
7:00 p.m. MSU Homecoming Volleyball game vs. Northern Colorado - Shroyer Gym.

7:00 p.m. Homecoming "Downtown Friday Night" – ALUMNI Homecoming HQ at The Pour House, corner of Main and Rouse.

8:00 p.m. Lighting of the M on Mount Baldy by the Student Alumni Association.

8:00 p.m. - 1 a.m. Midnight Mania – MSU Students join in this excitement-filled traditional Homecoming event as tournaments, pizza wars and lots of activity, provide on-campus fun for current students. Located in MSU's Fieldhouse.

Saturday, October 10th Bobcat Saturday! (Wear your Blue and Gold)
8 a.m. Bobcat Breakfast – The Pour House, downtown Bozeman (corner of Rouse and Main). $10 at the door. Start your day off with some serious spirit.

10 a.m. Homecoming Parade – Stake out a prime spot early to join in the celebration of this long-lasting tradition down Main Street. If you are interested in participating in the parade, contact the student Homecoming Chair through ASMSU at 406-994-2933.

11:30 a.m. Alumni Tailgate Party
Whoop it up Montana State-style, in the tailgate tent, before the game. This is a spirit packed tradition for everybody and a great place to gather your group. FREE.

12:30 p.m. Ribbon Cutting for Bobcat Plaza at the Track & Field Complex – Behind Bobcat Stadium, east side (scoreboard side) toward the Musuem. Sponsored by Bobcat Track & Field Association.

1:35 p.m. Bobcat Football vs. Northern Arizona
Cheer the Bobcats on to victory! Crowning of 2009 Homecoming King & Queen and the fabulous Spirit of the West Marching band! $25/game ticket.

7:00 p.m. MSU Homecoming Volleyball game vs. Northern Arizona - Shroyer Gym.

psc2445
October 6th, 2009, 10:18 PM

According to the local news that just aired you will not be able to claim the concert as part of homecoming this year. A&T pulled their sponsorship because "Gucci Mane" is the headliner. xbawlingx Students seem to be divided on the issue. I've heard its a big time in Aggie Land though. One of my best friends graduated in '02

Big Dawg
October 6th, 2009, 10:33 PM
According to the local news that just aired you will not be able to claim the concert as part of homecoming this year. A&T pulled their sponsorship because "Gucci Mane" is the headliner. xbawlingx Students seem to be divided on the issue. I've heard its a big time in Aggie Land though. One of my best friends graduated in '02

xconfusedx

WestCoastAggie
October 6th, 2009, 11:42 PM

A&T is going to hit a crossroad on Homecoming. Our Homecoming generates tens of millions of $ for Greensboro and Guilford County. It is right behing the yearly furnture mart in terms of revenue for the area. The Concert is the reason why. Not only it is A&T Tradition for DECADES but in the past 15 years, it has brought the biggest artists to perform, including Jay-Z in 2004 xthumbsupx

This year, Gucci Mane is the Headliner and it divided the campus. It wasn't even selling like past concerts but since the Lil Wayne concert in 06, it has been on a decline partly to the artists that are coming. Finally, the SGA President stepped out of order to express this issue and force our Administration's hand.

It won't be too much of an issue because most A&T Students and Alumni are going to be partying during the concert anyways.

I just hope next year, A&T gets a bill together that will not have this kind of issue but that will not be easy to do with the artists that are out. xsmhx

WestCoastAggie
October 6th, 2009, 11:45 PM
xconfusedx

Alot of students didn't like the line-up especially with Gucci Mane on there. The concert wasn't selling because of this and was drawing too much confusion in Aggieland.

Big Dawg
October 7th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Alot of students didn't like the line-up especially with Gucci Mane on there. The concert wasn't selling because of this and was drawing too much confusion in Aggieland.

Gucci Mane is performing at FAMU's Homecoming Concert as well...SMH

R.A.
October 7th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Ok, two references xrolleyesx

Have you EVER been to Greensboro for our Homecoming? xconfusedx

No, not yet.

Schedule Howard next year for your homecoming and I'll make the trip.

biggie
October 7th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Not going to lie, I've been scared driving through Greensboro after midnight on homecoming weekend. And is weird to me to have to have the entire police force on duty for a 'football game'. Its definitely big.

Wonder if this Gucci guy will cause issues they don't want though.

Poker Alan
October 7th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Parade in Bozeman as well. We used to celebrate homecoming by going to the Rocking R in our bathrobes at 8:00 am. Then marching in the homecoming parade (wasted) in turbins and face paint playing kazoos.

Sadly the Rocking R and the Frat are both long gone.xbawlingxxbawlingx

I was not aware of this, how long ago did it close? What a bummer? Cat's Paw still open?

mrklean
October 7th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Not going to lie, I've been scared driving through Greensboro after midnight on homecoming weekend. And is weird to me to have to have the entire police force on duty for a 'football game'. Its definitely big.

Wonder if this Gucci guy will cause issues they don't want though.

why do people lie so much?xeekx

SU Jag
October 8th, 2009, 07:17 PM
why do people lie so much?xeekx

They're probably worried about the rift-raft that Gucci would bring in. You always have to consider that.

Walkon79
October 9th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I was not aware of this, how long ago did it close? What a bummer? Cat's Paw still open?

The Rocking R burned to the ground in that gas line explosion last winter. Destroyed almost a city block and blew out windows for 2 or three blocks. Didn't you see the images on the Web?

BBB
January 18th, 2010, 07:21 AM

I wouldn't brag about Lil Wayne spitting those garbage lyrics either. BUT, you did get Flava Flav!!! *snicker*

That's one more than A&T...and Luda isn't the biggest artist to big up Howard. Howard's HC has appeared in Sports Illustrated as well.

SU Jag
January 18th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I wouldn't brag about Lil Wayne spitting those garbage lyrics either. BUT, you did get Flava Flav!!! *snicker*

That's one more than A&T...and Luda isn't the biggest artist to big up Howard. Howard's HC has appeared in Sports Illustrated as well.

Yeah I gotta get up to howard's homecomming soon!