PDA

View Full Version : Decker or Toman?

crusader11
October 4th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Assuming Toman is healthy for this week's contest against Villanova, who gets the nod?

WrenFGun
October 4th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I don't know...you seem to have all the answers..

I don't have a vendetta nor do I care. Whoever gives us a better chance to win.

crusader11
October 4th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Sorry guy. Decker has played well in his first 2 games under center and I was curious to see what others thought regarding the possibility of him remaining as the starter or not when Toman returns.

WrenFGun
October 4th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I think you're correct to think Decker deserves some consideration...I just don't think previous to these two weeks that Toman had really done anything to merit benching..

Gordon Shumway
October 4th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Sorry guy. Decker has played well in his first 2 games under center and I was curious to see what others thought regarding the possibility of him remaining as the starter or not when Toman returns.

I have no clue why you continually have such a fascination with Decker. There is a reason he isn't starting, and I'm sure it isn't because Coach McDonnell doesn't like him. But then again maybe all the coaches in the league were wrong as well, and they should have voted Decker as the preseason offensive player of the year instead of Toman.

The game Decker started Saturday was a poor one to gauge anything by, but he still didn't do anything inspiring, and certainly nothing to make you wonder why he isn't starting. I'll take my chances with Toman.

Decker may become a very good QB, but Toman is clearly better right now.

WrenFGun
October 4th, 2009, 06:28 PM

...I'm not the first to defend Crusader, but I'm not sure this sentence is 100% factually correct.

NHwildEcat
October 4th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Toman

rcny46
October 4th, 2009, 08:04 PM
As NHwildEcat said in the previous post,Toman would (and should)get the nod-without question.

UNHFootballAlum
October 4th, 2009, 08:22 PM
There is no controversy. Coach Mac will start Toman if healthy. From what i've seen of Toman, he has better pocket presence.

WSBE
October 5th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I don't know...you seem to have all the answers..

I don't have a vendetta nor do I care. Whoever gives us a better chance to win.

geez....I better stay over on the UNH message board. Tough crowd here?! I think it's a very legitimate question even though we'd all probably agree that Toman will start if healthy. But part of being a fan & loving this stuff is putting the question out there. It might be the biggest game of the year...it will surely put this team in Tier 1 or Tier 2 of the top 10, it could determine whether UNH makes the playoffs or gets a homegame - AND the captain of the offense has turf toe....not to mention his back-up seemed to light the receiving corp up & looked dangerously good when games were close. Lets face it, Toman has looked pretty bad at times over the last 4 or 5 games. Inaccurate, & unable to find his rythym. Too bad Decker wasn't able to "try out" against better competition, with pressure, from behind, for more than a quarter of football. Don't get me wrong, we all need & want Toman to be the offensive POY they predicted......BUT it's still a legitimate question & I'm glad it was asked.

My opinion - Toman starts but if he's ineffective/inaccurate, not 100%, or the game is slipping away because the defense is too good & UNH can't find the answer - Coach makes the switch (quick hook strategy). If the toe is not healed & he can't use his legs - thats a recipe for disaster....Villanova is too good to beat with a QB that's 80%. My hope is that Toman runs the offense well, finds a rythym, uses his legs, is accurate & wins the game. That would be the best thing for the program & the balance of the season.

I'm mostly worried about Steve Young having a headache free week...

WrenFGun
October 5th, 2009, 07:58 AM
...WSBE, that's not my usual reaction. Crusader has mentioned this in between 15-20 threads over the last two years..

crusader11
October 5th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Am I wrong?

WrenFGun
October 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I mean, you've been wrong throughout...you were bound to potentially hit it right in the end. Heck, if I kept on betting the Lions to be win, I would've hit it eventually..

That said, probably enough of this conversation. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

crusader11
October 5th, 2009, 09:58 AM
On the contrary, I think I have been right throughout. I think many would honestly agree by looking at this situation with an objective viewpoint, that Toman really has not been great since the SIU game. The kid was a stud for all of last season up until that game, but hasn't been anything special since then.

Listen, I am not trying to cause controversy, I simply wanted it to be known that I thought the better QB was sitting on the bench. And, with the unfortunate injury to RJ, Decker is beginning to flash what he can do and what he can bring to the table. By many accounts, the offense has flowed and moved better with him at the helm.

WSBE
October 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM
understood understood..all the way around. Well here is one thing we can all definitely agree on ...its good the Villanova has to prepare for both QBs! & maybe even ends up facing both too. I really don't know what to expect out of this game

crusader11
December 6th, 2009, 04:57 PM

Care to retract this statement?

I think the battle for the starting QB job at UNH will be a huge, huge story for UNH football this offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if Coach Mac made the job an open competition during Spring Ball. Quite frankly, he would be foolish not to.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 6th, 2009, 05:03 PM

I think the battle for the starting QB job at UNH will be a huge, huge story for UNH football this offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if Coach Mac made the job an open competition during Spring Ball. Quite frankly, he would be foolish not to.

Every position is open to compitition evary spring at UNH

crusader11
December 6th, 2009, 05:07 PM
When Ricky was the QB at UNH that position never had any competition, and it should not have.

I just hope Coach Mac does not think that because RJ has been the starter for 2 years, and has done a pretty decent job, the position is his.

When watching the UNH v. Nova game, it really seemed the offense just had a better flow to it with Decker in the game. He spread the ball around the field (or the best one could in those conditions), and got several of his receivers involved. The biggest thing, more than anything, was the glaring difference of how he recognized the pressure coming and how to allude the pressure.

Just some food for thought....

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 6th, 2009, 05:24 PM
When Ricky was the QB at UNH that position never had any competition, and it should not have.

I just hope Coach Mac does not think that because RJ has been the starter for 2 years, and has done a pretty decent job, the position is his.

When watching the UNH v. Nova game, it really seemed the offense just had a better flow to it with Decker in the game. He spread the ball around the field (or the best one could in those conditions), and got several of his receivers involved. The biggest thing, more than anything, was the glaring difference of how he recognized the pressure coming and how to allude the pressure.

Just some food for thought....

Was Villanona blitzing at that point?
Was the secondary playing the same D?

I'm not sure who will be the #1 QB...we'll see.
I do know that there is no "playing favories"

And yes, if Rick had shown up and gone thru the motions at camp his job would have been up for grabs, but one of the things that made Ricky great is that he was the hardest working kid in the program.

UNH Fanboi
December 6th, 2009, 05:28 PM

I also hope that there is an open competition. We all, including the coaches, want the best players on the field. But I don't think it's clear-cut that Decker is better. He was 33/60 (55%) this year, and half of those throws were against Dartmouth and Towson. Not exactly jaw-dropping numbers. His TD-INT ratio was much better than Toman, but the sample size is pretty small. Toman was a very good QB last year, so he clearly has some talent. Maybe the depleted receiving corp and inexperienced O-Line played a large role in his struggles this year.

If you would finally disclose what your connection to Decker is, I could take your opinion a little more seriously. I've never seen someone so obsessed about the backup QB of another team. You were talking about Decker before he had even seen a snap.

Finally, some people are putting too much emphasis on Toman's play in the second Nova game. Everyone who was at the game has mentioned how terrible the conditions were for passing. Judge Toman on the rest of the season, not that game.

WildcatFan
December 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM

I have refrained from commenting on this for awhile now. Yes - please do disclose your connection to Decker. At the same time you can admit that he made a mistake by transferring to another school and then coming back to UNH. In doing that it is my opinion that he took himself out of the competition for the starting position. If he continues to work hard - he will get his shot. Sorry but just my 2 cents.

crusader11
December 6th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Saw him play in high school several times and have followed his career after that. He really lit it up in high school and I thought he would really excel at the FCS level...just think he hasn't received a serious look from Coach Mac yet.

Everyone happy?