PDA

View Full Version : Team to Watch

Big Al
October 4th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Alright, I'm gonna hang it all out there and say SUU is the team to watch for next year. For that matter, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for these guys to end up 6-5 or better this year.

They played UNI tough last year, and put in very respectable showings this year against San Diego State & Utah State. For that matter, they took NAU to the wire, despite giving up a big lead early.

I think they may be better than their 2-3 record.

Buzzcut
October 5th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Agreed. The 22 point win over Texas State really surprised me.

89Hen
October 5th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Alright, I'm gonna hang it all out there and say SUU is the team to watch for next year. For that matter, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for these guys to end up 6-5 or better this year.
xcoffeex

North Dakota, South Dakota, UCD and San Diego left. Would 6-5 be "good"? No offense to our new I-AA's but UNI and SFA showed that the Daks have a way to go yet. UCD's only win is over Western Oregon.

People might also forget they beat TxSt by 14 last year too. xpeacex

lucchesicourt
October 5th, 2009, 04:04 PM
"UCD's only win is over Western Oregon." But, you forgot to mention

UCD's only losses are to Boise State, Fresno State, and Montana.

appfan2008
October 5th, 2009, 04:14 PM
it is all relative bc suu has been so bad... that any improvement is something...

Screamin_Eagle174
October 5th, 2009, 04:22 PM
it is all relative bc suu has been so bad... that any improvement is something...

But a 22 point win over a ranked Texas St. squad is more than just a little improvement. xcoffeex

Screamin_Eagle174
October 5th, 2009, 04:27 PM
xcoffeex

North Dakota, South Dakota, UCD and San Diego left. Would 6-5 be "good"? No offense to our new I-AA's but UNI and SFA showed that the Daks have a way to go yet. UCD's only win is over Western Oregon.

People might also forget they beat TxSt by 14 last year too. xpeacex

Conveniently leaving out that they also play EWU Nov. 14.

89Hen
October 6th, 2009, 07:53 AM
"UCD's only win is over Western Oregon." But, you forgot to mention

UCD's only losses are to Boise State, Fresno State, and Montana.
Not sure what that means. I'm pretty sure Indiana State could lose to Boise, Fresno and Montana.

89Hen
October 6th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Conveniently leaving out that they also play EWU Nov. 14.
xconfusedx They could get slaughtered by EWU and get to 6-5.

Big Al
October 6th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Yes, but just a few years ago, SUU was looking at a 0-11 record. Granted, it was a murderous schedule, but still they're an improved team. Two years ago, UNI manhandled SUU at the UNI-Dome, last year they gave UNI fits and the game wasn't sealed until 4th quarter. This year may not be anything to write home about, regardless of win/loss, but I think next year could be a very good year for SUU fans.

89Hen
October 6th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Yes, but just a few years ago, SUU was looking at a 0-11 record. Granted, it was a murderous schedule, but still they're an improved team.
That shouldn't be overlooked. You want wins, add Adams State, Dixie State, etc... I'm not saying it's a bad thing, matter of fact it's smart. People do see 0-11 and they don't look any further. 6-5 will get people at least looking.

BUT, we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves either. Do you see SUU beating CalPoly or EWU? If not, that means they have to win all their other games to get to 6-5.

The one thing I can't explain is SUU's dominance over Texas State. xeyebrowx

kalm
October 6th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Not sure what that means. I'm pretty sure Indiana State could lose to Boise, Fresno and Montana.

It obviously means the point about UCD's only win being Western Oregon is a little deceptive.

In other words, if UCD was in the CAA with that schedule they'd still be ranked at this point. :D

89Hen
October 6th, 2009, 08:07 AM
In other words, if UCD was in the CAA with that schedule they'd still be ranked at this point. :D
xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
October 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM

They played UNI tough last year, and put in very respectable showings this year against San Diego State & Utah State. For that matter, they took NAU to the wire, despite giving up a big lead early.

I think they may be better than their 2-3 record.

The only problem is that they have a senior QB and some seniors on the OL. They have some talent back for next year but have to replace some key players as well.

Big Al
October 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Like I said, UNI had fits with SUU late in the season last year. They had a few players on each side of the ball with some definite talent. This year is an important confidence-building year for the team and if they continue improve year-over-year I would expect next year to show a much stronger SUU squad.

That shouldn't be overlooked. You want wins, add Adams State, Dixie State, etc... I'm not saying it's a bad thing, matter of fact it's smart. People do see 0-11 and they don't look any further. 6-5 will get people at least looking.

BUT, we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves either. Do you see SUU beating CalPoly or EWU? If not, that means they have to win all their other games to get to 6-5.

The one thing I can't explain is SUU's dominance over Texas State. xeyebrowx

Big Al
October 6th, 2009, 09:22 AM
The only problem is that they have a senior QB and some seniors on the OL. They have some talent back for next year but have to replace some key players as well.

Yes, but all teams have to do this to one extent or another. The question is are they building a winning team or a winning program?