PDA

View Full Version : Army vs Yale - 2014

bulldog10jw
October 4th, 2009, 10:54 AM
From the NH Register blog

http://portal31nhr.blogspot.com/

One last note, I spoke with Yale's director of athletics Tom Beckett who said that the 2014 game against Army at the Yale Bowl will happen. There are details to be worked out but the two sides have agreed to play a game in the 100th anniversary season of football at the Yale Bowl.

Ivytalk
October 5th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Cool! We played Army back in the 80s. Wish we could do so again.

Pard4Life
October 5th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Nice... at my first Yale Bowl game this weekend. It is a pretty funky 'cool' stadium, but could definetely use a facelift. I'm sure that's not news to you. With all the money and influence at Yale, how come you have not improved the stadium? Princeton did. You could build some pretty nice skyboxes. Does the Bowl's national historic register status have anything to do with a lack of renovations? Locker rooms would be good too... it was strange watching the Pards conduct halftime meetigs in the parking lot. You could clearly hear the strategy being discussed... no wonder you guys have the second most all time wins ;)

Franks Tanks
October 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Nice... at my first Yale Bowl game this weekend. It is a pretty funky 'cool' stadium, but could definetely use a facelift. I'm sure that's not news to you. With all the money and influence at Yale, how come you have not improved the stadium? Princeton did. You could build some pretty nice skyboxes. Does the Bowl's national historic register status have anything to do with a lack of renovations? Locker rooms would be good too... it was strange watching the Pards conduct halftime meetigs in the parking lot. You could clearly hear the strategy being discussed... no wonder you guys have the second most all time wins ;)

The bowl did get a facelift recently IIRC

bulldog10jw
October 5th, 2009, 10:46 AM

I haven't seen it. Must not be as impressive as they made it sound.

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/information/facilities/yale_bowl/restoration

Yale Bowl Restoration Project

Legendary Facility Undergoing a Major Renovation

The restoration of Yale Bowl, a project which has been approved by the Yale Corporation, has begun. Phase I was completed and a re-dedication ceremony was held prior to the Yale-Harvard game Nov. 17, 2007. Phase II, including the Jensen Family Plaza and the Kennedy Center, is next

Go...gate
October 5th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Nice that Army is keeping its promise.

Pard4Life
October 5th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I haven't seen it. Must not be as impressive as they made it sound.

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/information/facilities/yale_bowl/restoration

Legendary Facility Undergoing a Major Renovation

The restoration of Yale Bowl, a project which has been approved by the Yale Corporation, has begun. Phase I was completed and a re-dedication ceremony was held prior to the Yale-Harvard game Nov. 17, 2007. Phase II, including the Jensen Family Plaza and the Kennedy Center, is next

That must be a joke... the home side looked like somethig was done ie new benches and fresh paint, but where I sat on the visitors side, there was peeling paint, rotting wood, crumbling concrete and linchen. The press box is open air, and the "club" areas were wood planks with tents at the top of the visitors area. There was some construction, but it looked like just plaza aesthetics. Don't know if you saw old Fisher, but it's like our place without the wood seatbacks.

Then again, what's the cost benefit? You would probably get the same attendance, you play the same teams in the most stable league ever and likely will until the end of the world, civilized society, or organized football becomes unpopular in 2425. A poor Yale Bowl certainly won't hamper recruiting.

Go...gate
October 5th, 2009, 12:13 PM
That must be a joke... the home side looked like somethig was done ie new benches and fresh paint, but where I sat on the visitors side, there was peeling paint, rotting wood, crumbling concrete and linchen. The press box is open air, and the "club" areas were wood planks with tents at the top of the visitors area. There was some construction, but it looked like just plaza aesthetics. Don't know if you saw old Fisher, but it's like our place without the wood seatbacks.

Then again, what's the cost benefit? You would probably get the same attendance, you play the same teams in the most stable league ever and likely will until the end of the world, civilized society, or organized football becomes unpopular in 2425. A poor Yale Bowl certainly won't hamper recruiting.

So they only partially renovated it? Sounds like what they were doing at Princeton with old Palmer Stadium, lots of paint, patching and such until it was finally declared unsavable in 1994 and demolished in 1996. Maybe Yale Bowl is closer to the end then we all think.

Pards Rule
October 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I talked to a guy who USED to go to a lot of Yale games..He said 10 yrs ago or so that stadium would be packed for a game like this. In fact, when I pulled up in the parking areas an hour and a half early there were already a flood of cars with people tailgating. I thought it was Parents Weekend or Homecoming. And then inside the stadium there was like hardly anyone. Game attendance was a paltry 3800. It didnt even seem like that! He said it is now like this except for the Harvard game every two years. What happened in 10 years??

DFW HOYA
October 5th, 2009, 01:30 PM
What happened in 10 years??

Not ten years, but 30.

1. A generation ago, the bulk of the Ivy student body was regional. Today, 85% of Yalies come from out of state and whereas the family could pack up the station wagon and drive in from Springfield or Hartford or even Westchester to see the Eli, when your families live in Florida and Texas, they aren't going to the game.

2. Cable/Satellite TV. Why watch a game at the Yale Bowl when the Big 10 and SEC games are on, right in your home, without rain or sleet or the gloom of night?

And, of course....

3. Perception. The Ivy (and Patriot) aren't contenders as they "seemed" to be in the past. Never mind that Dartmouth wasn't going to a bowl in 1971, but they were a Top 20 team and Cornell had its own Heisman Trophy candidate. Colgate played Navy, Virginia and Rutgers in 1970, reasonably big opponents (OK, maybe not Rutgers, but times change.) What out of conference games do people care about these days?

Husky Alum
October 5th, 2009, 01:41 PM
A corollary of #1 is that the alumni that are local are dying off, and that locals (like my dad) who went to Yale games as a child to see the top notch football because Yale was THE team, aren't getting jazzed like they did back in the day.

Growing up, Yale football games were an event, now with UConn playing in the Big East, and TV showing a bazillion games, there are other things to do.

Even when I worked the games as an kid usher in the late 1970s and early 1980s there were plenty of locals coming to the games. Army, Navy, Air Force, BC all came to the Bowl at that time and there were great crowds.

UConn was a big game (probably more people in the parking lot than the Bowl), and Yale doesn't even play UConn any more.

Now, if it's not Harvard, there's not a ton of interest.

bulldog10jw
October 5th, 2009, 02:07 PM
A corollary of #1 is that the alumni that are local are dying off, and that locals (like my dad) who went to Yale games as a child to see the top notch football because Yale was THE team, aren't getting jazzed like they did back in the day.

Growing up, Yale football games were an event, now with UConn playing in the Big East, and TV showing a bazillion games, there are other things to do.

Even when I worked the games as an kid usher in the late 1970s and early 1980s there were plenty of locals coming to the games. Army, Navy, Air Force, BC all came to the Bowl at that time and there were great crowds.

UConn was a big game (probably more people in the parking lot than the Bowl), and Yale doesn't even play UConn any more.

Now, if it's not Harvard, there's not a ton of interest.

Yale also played Rutgers, who was decent then, and Miami of Ohio in the '70's at the Bowl and was competitive both times.

They lost to Rutgers 28-27 when they went for two after scoring late and lost to Miami 26-14, a game that was 14-14 at the half.

Go...gate
October 5th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Not ten years, but 30.

1. A generation ago, the bulk of the Ivy student body was regional. Today, 85% of Yalies come from out of state and whereas the family could pack up the station wagon and drive in from Springfield or Hartford or even Westchester to see the Eli, when your families live in Florida and Texas, they aren't going to the game.

2. Cable/Satellite TV. Why watch a game at the Yale Bowl when the Big 10 and SEC games are on, right in your home, without rain or sleet or the gloom of night?

And, of course....

3. Perception. The Ivy (and Patriot) aren't contenders as they "seemed" to be in the past. Never mind that Dartmouth wasn't going to a bowl in 1971, but they were a Top 20 team and Cornell had its own Heisman Trophy candidate. Colgate played Navy, Virginia and Rutgers in 1970, reasonably big opponents (OK, maybe not Rutgers, but times change.) What out of conference games do people care about these days?

I think you make a very good point, but there are exceptions. Colgate-Princeton (and back in the day, Colgate-Rutgers) has often been a good draw because of the time of the year and because Colgate had a lot of NJ kids. Games routinely approached 15-20,000 at both places and even more farther "back in the day". Having said that, your point about TV, I am certain, will be a factor this Thursday night in keeping the crowd down in Princeton. I predict maybe 8,000.

Pards Rule
October 5th, 2009, 02:52 PM
We had 8000 for the Liberty game on a Saturday night in mid-September a few weeks ago.

appfan2008
October 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM
this will be the first fbs team to visit an fcs team in a long time... any idea the last time this happened?

bonarae
October 5th, 2009, 06:54 PM
this will be the first fbs team to visit an fcs team in a long time... any idea the last time this happened?

And also the first FBS team to play an Ivy League team since the divisions were split up.

Seawolf97
October 5th, 2009, 08:05 PM
And also the first FBS team to play an Ivy League team since the divisions were split up.

I think its great having FBS team visiting and FCS team that doesnt happen very often. I would expect a sellout . xthumbsupx

Franks Tanks
October 5th, 2009, 09:23 PM

Yale played Army in the 90's

Go...gate
October 5th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Yale played Army in the 90's

Princeton played Army at home in 1982, Navy at home in 1983 and at Annapolis in 1984. Northwestern visited Princeton in 1986.

Dartmouth played at Navy in 1985.

Yale played at Hawaii in the late 1980's.

Cornell played at Cincinnati in the mid 1980's and at Stanford in the early 1990's.

Brown played at Penn State in 1984.

Army played at Penn in 1985 and Penn played at Navy in 1986.

EKU05
October 5th, 2009, 11:02 PM

It wasn't all that long ago. Idaho and Montana kept their home and home series going for a number of years after Idaho went IA/FBS. It stopped mostly because Idaho was getting killed every year.

There was discussion that EKU and WKU were going to do the same thing until the Sun Belt stepped in with a new rule to prevent it.

bonarae
October 5th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Princeton played Army at home in 1982, Navy at home in 1983 and at Annapolis in 1984. Northwestern visited Princeton in 1986.

Dartmouth played at Navy in 1985.

Yale played at Hawaii in the late 1980's.

Cornell played at Cincinnati in the mid 1980's and at Stanford in the early 1990's.

Brown played at Penn State in 1984.

Army played at Penn in 1985 and Penn played at Navy in 1986.

Did the Ivy Presidents stop these series such as those from happening since then because they were humiliated by those then I-A teams? I want them to come back, starting with Army/Yale. Good step by Army.

bonarae
October 6th, 2009, 06:51 AM
According to http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/scoresindex.htm and the respective schools' media guides:

The last time an Ivy team that played an FBS school was Yale in 1996.

Yale last played Army in 1996, losing 39-13. The Hawaii game was in 1987, with Yale being routed 62-10 (game ended 4:30 am Eastern time Sunday). Yale played Central Florida when the latter was still I-AA (1993), losing to them 42-28.
Princeton was shut out by Northwestern in 1986, 37-0.
Cornell was routed by Stanford in 1991, 56-6. Cincinnati game was in 1983, Cornell also lost that game 48-20.
Penn was the last Ivy school who won a game against an FBS team, beating Navy 30-26 in 1986.
Brown played Penn State in 1983, losing 38-21.
Harvard last played Army in 1991, losing 21-20.
Dartmouth played Navy in 1986 (not 1985). They were shut out 45-0.

Finding Columbia's scores took me a little longer, since they still don't post media guides on their web site. xsmhx The last time they played an FBS was way back in 1978, when they were routed by Rutgers 69-0. http://www.collegefootballdvds.net/scores/columbia.html