PDA

View Full Version : Prairie View Tops Grambling!

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2009, 07:46 AM
A 22-game losing streak is over.

Is Prairie View A&M over the hump? Is this their year, despite having just a nine-game slate due to poor administration? Or did that perhaps work in their favor as they were all rested while GSU had gone through some tough battles on the field?

Congrats Panthers! I'm voting you guys in the top 25 on both my ballots. Henry Frazier III has done a marvelous job with your program.

Wish this got more pub on AGS - starting my own thread on this subject - again congrats!

DALLAS – Grambling State saw a 22 year streak come to an end Saturday evening at The Cotton Bowl as the Panthers of Prairie View A&M held on to defeat the Tigers, 35-32, before 42,786 spectators at the State Fair Classic.

Prairie View jumped ahead on its opening possession as quarterback KJ Black scored on a 4-yard scamper to cap off an 18-play, 59-yard drive for a 7-0 lead. After a three-and-out by Grambling, Prairie View moved ahead by two scores with 39 seconds left in the quarter as Donald Babers scored on a 4-yard run. Brady Faggard’s PAT sailed through the uprights as Prairie View led 14-0.

Grambling trimmed its deficit to one touchdown early in the second quarter as Greg Dillon recorded a 2-yard touchdown run. Dillon’s score was set up by a 50-yard reception to wideout Kiare Thompson eight plays into the drive. Prairie View went 3-and-out on its next drive and Grambling once again answered as they trailed 14-10 after Ari Johnson’s 28-yard field goal. The Panthers fought back and closed the half out strong as Black connected with wideout Anthony Weeden for an 8-yard touchdown with 18 seconds left for a 21-10 advantage.

http://www.gsutigers.com/news/2009/10/4/FB_1004095756.aspx

SU Jag
October 4th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Great game. Last night was my first state fair classic and despite the rain I was impressed. The only thing that has me ticked off is the lack of media attention from the dfw media.

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Great game. Last night was my first state fair classic and despite the rain I was impressed. The only thing that has me ticked off is the lack of media attention from the dfw media.

I sent Dave Coulson at The Sports Network an e-mail before your post. Told him I've been shocked that this game seemingly has been overlooked in many regards and hoped that he'd cover it as well he can, because this was a rather BIG victory!

SU Jag
October 4th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I agree. Its a shame that I couldn't even find an article online in the dallas or arlington new websites.I've lived in new orleans and birmingham where hbcu events were huge, but their the media covered it all week long. Here all the media talked about was the aggies and the razorbacks. They also talked about the tcu/smu game but the state fair classic outdraws that game and has a huge economic impact on the dallas/ft.worth area.

DFW HOYA
October 4th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Dallas is not an HBCU city. It has no home-grown HBCU (the former Bishop College,a D-III school, moved there from Marshall ebfore going bankrupt, and NAIA Paul Quinn moved from Waco but is on life support). The SWAC once played its basketball tournament at a Dallas high school arena and no one showed up.

The GSU and PV A&M fans will come to town but local support has always been lacking.

TCU-SMU drew 37,130 in a steady rain, and at least 34,000 were in the seats. SMU might have brought 300.

SU Jag
October 4th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Dallas is not an HBCU city. It has no home-grown HBCU (the former Bishop College,a D-III school, moved there from Marshall ebfore going bankrupt, and NAIA Paul Quinn moved from Waco but is on life support). The SWAC once played its basketball tournament at a Dallas high school arena and no one showed up.

The GSU and PV A&M fans will come to town but local support has always been lacking.

TCU-SMU drew 37,130 in a steady rain, and at least 34,000 were in the seats. SMU might have brought 300.

neither is indy but their media does an outstanding job promoting and covering the circle city classic.there are no hbcu in orlando either but the media outlets start covering the florida classic a week and a half before the event. There are several cities that host hbcu classic events that have no hbcus in that city, but the media covers and promotes the game 100 times better than the media does here.

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Panthers are up 24-7 on Alabama State.

Looks like they'll be 3-1 with the lone loss to an FBS team. Can we get some more votes this wee for the Panthers if they close this road win out?