View Full Version : Playoff Prognostications - 10/4

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2009, 07:02 AM
This week, we'll get the SoCon riled up! ;)

Okay, get to hating me - please note, that most conferences have just begun or are getting set to start - so these are based off current results and forthcoming schedules.

Automatic Qualifiers
Big Sky: Montana
CAA: Richmond
MEAC: Florida A&M
MVFC: Northern Iowa
OVC: Eastern Kentucky
Patriot: Holy Cross
SoCon: Elon
Southland: Stephen F. Austin

At-Larges
Villanova
New Hampshire
William & Mary
Massachussetts
McNeese State
Montana State
South Carolina State
South Dakota State

On Bubble
Appalachian State
Colgate
Eastern Illinois
Eastern Washington *awaiting NCAA decision*
Southern Illinois
Texas State - San Marcos

Bracket

South Carolina State @ (1) Richmond
Eastern Kentucky @ William & Mary

Holy Cross @ (4) Villanova
Florida A&M @ Elon

New Hampshire @ (3) Northern Iowa
Montana State @ McNeese State

Massachusetts @ South Dakota State
Stephen F Austin @ (2) Montana

AppStateold299
October 4th, 2009, 07:17 AM
So according to your are saying that the SoCon will only have 1 team in the playoffs. This is hard for me to understand how one of the strongest conferences only has one representative. I'm not saying that 4 or 5 should get in the playoffs, but it is hard for me to believe that only 1 team will get in that isn't on the bubble. I'm not even sure it will be either of those 2 teams that will get in anyways. The SoCon is a really tough conference that can change leadership every weekend. I would like to say that App has a lock down on making the playoffs, but we have a tough road to even get in. We have to make it through the SoCon unscathed because of our early season 1st half blunders and our questionable defense. I think it can happen, but it is going to be like winning the lottery.

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2009, 07:33 AM
IMO...

Best shots are Elon, Appy, Furman and Georgia Southern. Sorry guys, no Samford in my books. And we know the UTC situation. Is there someone I am missing?

Furman - has to go to Appy, GaSo and Auburn. Can they split the Appy and GaSo games? If they do, they are in. Until then, I am not liking their chances. Loss to Elon set them back. I see six wins, maybe seven.

Georgia Southern - is too likely to get surprised on the road by Samford. If you lose to Appy and UNC - and ignore Samford - that's seven wins at best. Does seven get you in out of the SoCon? Not this year.

Appy State - Appy can still finish 8-3 or 9-2. The road through the SoCon is tough. A 9-2 mark would mean they got the AQ. At 8-3, I doubt the committee turns their shoulder. Unfortunately, ASU is 2-2 and it is much too early for me to put them in. A tough three-point win at El Cid is not enough to give me faith they can get going, at least at this point. I believe they'll be in, but I am going off today and today, Appy needs to prove me they can get to 8-3 or 9-2.

Elon - road heavy with Wofford, Furman and Samford in final four games. Has Appy at home. If they go 3-1 during the stretch, they are a shoo-in for a bid. If they finish second in SoCon, would be tough to overlook. Can Appy surpass them?

AppStateold299
October 4th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I understand your thought process, and I'm impressed with your thoughts as you worked through the end of the season. I think that it is a tough road for any of us in the SoCon, but I do see 2 teams getting into the playoffs. I would say it would be tough not to get at least the auto and one other team from our conference. It just stinks that a lot of good conferences beat up on each other and keep good teams out of the playoffs and allow weaker conferences to get teams in that don't necessarily deserve the spot.

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I understand your thought process, and I'm impressed with your thoughts as you worked through the end of the season. I think that it is a tough road for any of us in the SoCon, but I do see 2 teams getting into the playoffs. I would say it would be tough not to get at least the auto and one other team from our conference. It just stinks that a lot of good conferences beat up on each other and keep good teams out of the playoffs and allow weaker conferences to get teams in that don't necessarily deserve the spot.

I agree that we'll most likely see two teams...

At this point, I just can not commit to that second team. Appy has a great chance at getting an at-large (or AQ). Much too early to put them in...

As I said in the prior post, the most likely scenario would be Elon having success and finishing second to the AQ-winner.

CharlestonAppFan
October 4th, 2009, 08:25 AM

Don't try to understand TT's thought process, I stopped giving him any credibility when he had AE finishing below #5 last year for the Payton xrolleyesx App needs to impress more, I agree but as far as being 2-2, I'll take that schedule and those 2 losses compared to Elon's schedule that includes Davidson and Presby anyday.

Houndawg
October 4th, 2009, 08:30 AM
This week, we'll get the SoCon riled up! ;)

Okay, get to hating me - please note, that most conferences have just begun or are getting set to start - so these are based off current results and forthcoming schedules. Southern Illinois is probably the last team in the field, based on my concerns of them reaching seven wins, as noted previously.

Automatic Qualifiers
CAA: Richmond
MEAC: Florida A&M
Patriot: Holy Cross
Southland: Stephen F. Austin

At-Larges
Villanova
New Hampshire
William & Mary
Massachussetts
McNeese State
Montana State
South Carolina State
South Dakota State

On Bubble
Appalachian State
Colgate
Eastern Illinois
Eastern Washington *awaiting NCAA decision*
Southern Illinois
Texas State - San Marcos

Bracket

South Carolina State @ (1) Richmond
Eastern Kentucky @ William & Mary

Holy Cross @ (4) Villanova
Florida A&M @ Elon

New Hampshire @ (3) Northern Iowa
Montana State @ McNeese State

Massachusetts @ South Dakota State
Stephen F Austin @ (2) Montana

I think that SDSU is a better fit for last in than SIU.

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I think that SDSU is a better fit for last in than SIU.

Simple mistake. Originally had SIU in. Wiped out the comment. Thanks for the catch.

CID1990
October 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Don't try to understand TT's thought process, I stopped giving him any credibility when he had AE finishing below #5 last year for the Payton xrolleyesx App needs to impress more, I agree but as far as being 2-2, I'll take that schedule and those 2 losses compared to Elon's schedule that includes Davidson and Presby anyday.

I was thinking the same thing.

He is discounting a large portion of the equation. One that has played spoiler in the SoCon for many years.

aceinthehole
October 4th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Really????

Montana State as an at-large? Probably should have have Samford/Appalachian St in over them right now.

McNeese is certainly on the bubble, but how can you not put in Colgate ahead of them right now?

Why is EIU and Texas State on the bubble??? What do they have going for them right now? EIU is in a very weak OVC - do you really think they get an at-large and the SoCon won't? Texas State has 1 FCS win after 5 weeks!

Also, if you're going to include SDSU (and were thinking about SIU) on the bubble, you have to also include Missouri State, right?

Missing Bubble teams:
SoCon teams (Citadel/Samford/Furman)
Liberty
CCSU
Cal Poly
Missouri State

danefan
October 4th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Really????

Montana State as an at-large? Probably should have have Samford/Appalachian St in over them right now.

McNeese is certainly on the bubble, but how can you not put in Colgate ahead of them right now?

Nice job putting SCSU in, but any reason why Florida A&M isn't at on the bubble?

Why is EIU and Texas State on the bubble??? What do they have going for them right now? EIU is in a very weak OVC - do you really think they get an at-large and the SoCon won't? Texas State has 1 FCS win after 5 weeks!

Also, if you're going to include SDSU (and were thinking about SIU) on the bubble, you have to also include Missouri State, right?

Missing Bubble teams:
Florida A&M
Liberty
CCSU
Cal Poly
Missouri State

He's got FAMU as the MEAC AQ.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 4th, 2009, 09:16 AM
So according to your are saying that the SoCon will only have 1 team in the playoffs. This is hard for me to understand how one of the strongest conferences only has one representative. I'm not saying that 4 or 5 should get in the playoffs, but it is hard for me to believe that only 1 team will get in that isn't on the bubble. I'm not even sure it will be either of those 2 teams that will get in anyways. The SoCon is a really tough conference that can change leadership every weekend. I would like to say that App has a lock down on making the playoffs, but we have a tough road to even get in. We have to make it through the SoCon unscathed because of our early season 1st half blunders and our questionable defense. I think it can happen, but it is going to be like winning the lottery.

Sorry, but I think the SoCon is a one-bid league. Not because it's weak, but because the league has a lot of parity and because we have just too tough of an FBS schedule which now had two undefeated SEC teams, an undefeated, Big XII, and an undefeated Big X.

kalm
October 4th, 2009, 10:11 AM
At this point we would like to be referred to as the team formerly known as Eastern Washington University...or *U

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Sorry, but I think the SoCon is a one-bid league. Not because it's weak, but because the league has a lot of parity and because we have just too tough of an FBS schedule which now had two undefeated SEC teams, an undefeated, Big XII, and an undefeated Big X.

Correct...

SoCon has a rough road ahead to get them multiple bids. Read my response to the first critique. Appy has a decent shot, but outside of Elon - all the others will have bumpy road.

Houndawg
October 4th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Simple mistake. Originally had SIU in. Wiped out the comment. Thanks for the catch.

xeyebrowx It wasn't a mistake until yesterday.

Before that it was an uninformed opion.:D

JackFan
October 4th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I dont see how Texas State is still on the bubble, they got dropped 38-16 to Sothern Utah. Im not saying that the Jacks should be inserted but NAU beat Southern Utah and took Montana to the brink. Just saying there are a lot better teams out there.

crusader11
October 4th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Really????

Missing Bubble teams:
Liberty
CCSU
Cal Poly
Missouri State

Why should CCSU be on the bubble. Have they done ANYTHING to deserve that? Didn't you guys almost lose to Sacred Heart yesterday....

ToTheLeft
October 4th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I dont see how Texas State is still on the bubble, they got dropped 38-16 to Sothern Utah. Im not saying that the Jacks should be inserted but NAU beat Southern Utah and took Montana to the brink. Just saying there are a lot better teams out there.

TT is an SLC homer and is not rational when it comes to the SLC. He has Prairie View A and M in his top 25. Don't take his prognostications to mean more than just his way of showing everyone he doesn't like the SoCon and loves the SLC.

ToTheLeft
October 4th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Automatic Qualifiers
CAA: Nova
MEAC: SC State
Patriot: Colgate
Southland: McNeese St.

At-Larges
Richmond
New Hampshire
William & Mary
Massachusetts
Appalachian State
SIU
Holy Cross
Liberty/FAMU (Can't decide)

CrunchGriz
October 4th, 2009, 01:19 PM
TT is an SLC homer and is not rational when it comes to the SLC. He has Prairie View A and M in his top 25. Don't take his prognostications to mean more than just his way of showing everyone he doesn't like the SoCon and loves the SLC.

Prairie View is in the SWAC. TT's inclusion of them in his poll can hardly be considered an indication of SLC bias.

ToTheLeft
October 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Prairie View is in the SWAC. TT's inclusion of them in his poll can hardly be considered an indication of SLC bias.

Eh, I got them confused with someone else. Needless to say, he has a Deep South/Non-East Coast bias. It can't be more evident.

McNeese75
October 4th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Really????

Missing Bubble teams:
Liberty
CCSU
Cal Poly
Missouri State

3-1, conference has not even started and the Pokes are on the bubble xconfusedx
xlolx

TT is just in love with SFA this week

ASU_Fanatic
October 4th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Haha at you having Elon a head of App.

ToTheLeft
October 4th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Haha at you having Elon a head of App.

The worst part is implying that App won't make the playoffs. Even if Elon pulls off a SoCon win, it won't eliminate App.

DetroitFlyer
October 4th, 2009, 01:30 PM
5-0 Butler appears to be a shoe in at this point. Three weeks from now, they will be 8-0 heading to Dayton for what could be a huge battle for the PFL title....

ASU_Fanatic
October 4th, 2009, 01:31 PM
The worst part is implying that App won't make the playoffs. Even if Elon pulls off a SoCon win, it won't eliminate App.Yeah I'm willing to admit right now the FCS loves us so if we go 8-3 we will easily get in, we may could even go 7-4 and still have some kind of shot I mean really were like the Florida of FCS.

ToTheLeft
October 4th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah I'm willing to admit right now the FCS loves us so if we go 8-3 we will easily get in, we may could even go 7-4 and still have some kind of shot I mean really were like the Florida of FCS.

That's kinda what I'm thinking. They'll get viewed at as better than their resume presents them to be since they're App. And they've earned it, even if it's unjust. However, I think they will win enough to get the nod.

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2009, 01:55 PM
5-0 Butler appears to be a shoe in at this point. Three weeks from now, they will be 8-0 heading to Dayton for what could be a huge battle for the PFL title....

Yeah, 5-0 with 3 sub D-I wins looks great. Maybe a shoe-in for the Gridiron Classic. xlolx

rancher griz
October 4th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Big Sky will get 2 in. Probably Montana and Montana State. Possibly EWU if they get clearance. If WSU wins out they will be tough to keep out, but I doubt they will.

Southern will get 2 in. Elon and App St. would be my bets.

CAA will get 4 in maybe 5. Richmond, Villanova, W&M, and New Hampshire would be my bets now. Maybe UMass.

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2009, 02:29 PM
TT is an SLC homer and is not rational when it comes to the SLC.

TXST could make a run at the title and/or post a 6-1 mark in SLC play. They are just as much a bubble team as a Southern Illinois. Long odds, but they could turn it around and are expected to by fans of the conference(s).

He has Prairie View A and M in his top 25.

PV is 2-1 with two FCS victories (including a Grambling team they had not beat in 22 years) and a close FBS loss. How should they not be considered?

And everyone says I dislike the SWAC too...

TT is just in love with SFA this week

Had them last week too. They host you guys, advantage them. You two are the top two in the league this year. Do send them to Missoula!

The worst part is implying that App won't make the playoffs. Even if Elon pulls off a SoCon win, it won't eliminate App.

Nope - but Appy barely escape El Cid and could have another hiccup or two. This is the SoCon, not the Big South afterall...

WestCoastAggie
October 4th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Big Sky will get 2 in. Probably Montana and Montana State. Possibly EWU if they get clearance. If WSU wins out they will be tough to keep out, but I doubt they will.

CAA will get 4 in maybe 5. Richmond, Villanova, W&M, and New Hampshire would be my bets now. Maybe UMass.

UMass is in and W&M is on the bubble after their performance on sat. But it is still early.

W&M should move out the top 5 and perhaps the top 10. Hofstra should be in contention for a ranking this week, bringing them into the playoff Picture.

UD & JMU playoff hopes are decreasing. Right now, the CAA gets 5 in.

NOTE: Right now, the CAA has 4 spots locked and W&M, JMU & Hofstra on the bubble (IMO)

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
UMass is in and W&M is on the bubble after their performance on sat. But it is still early.

W&M should move out the top 5 and perhaps the top 10. Hofstra should be in contention for a ranking this week, bringing them into the playoff Picture.

UD & JMU playoff hopes are decreasing. Right now, the CAA gets 5 in.

Have you looked over Hoftsra's schedule? xlolx

Silenoz
October 4th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Automatic Qualifiers

At-Larges
Richmond
New Hampshire
William & Mary
Massachusetts
Appalachian State
SIU
Holy Cross

I doubt we'd see two Patriot and a Big South (a 3-2 one at that) before we saw a Big Sky at-large

WestCoastAggie
October 4th, 2009, 02:51 PM

Right now, the CAA has 4 spots locked and W&M, JMU & Hofstra on the bubble.

WestCoastAggie
October 4th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Have you looked over Hoftsra's schedule? xlolx

They play in the CAA! They win & they are in!

Walkon79
October 4th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Really????

Missing Bubble teams:

Liberty
CCSU
Cal Poly
Missouri State

Why not Montana State? They just beat conference co-favorite Weber State on the road and are 2-0 in the Big Sky. Another favorite, Eastern Washington is ineligible and the Cats play the Griz in Bozeman this year.

If 2 teams from the Big Sky get in which usually happens, who else would you pick at this point?

ToTheLeft
October 4th, 2009, 03:18 PM
TXST could make a run at the title and/or post a 6-1 mark in SLC play. They are just as much a bubble team as a Southern Illinois. Long odds, but they could turn it around and are expected to by fans of the conference(s).

PV is 2-1 with two FCS victories (including a Grambling team they had not beat in 22 years) and a close FBS loss. How should they not be considered?

And everyone says I dislike the SWAC too...

Had them last week too. They host you guys, advantage them. You two are the top two in the league this year. Do send them to Missoula!

Nope - but Appy barely escape El Cid and could have another hiccup or two. This is the SoCon, not the Big South afterall...

TXST lost to SUU. If they run thru the SLC, that just shows that the SLC is mediocre at best, and probably should show that they're just not very good at all. SUU is an alright team, but that's a game that a bubble team should win. SIU's 3 pt loss to Marshall and wins over NDSU and WIU are more impressive than anything TXST will do this year.

PV beat Texas Southern (which is part of the reason you have them ranked), which is not a strong win for them. The only reason you could put them in your top 25 is if you thought Grambling was a top 25 team. PV lost to a bad FBS team, and has beaten a couple of mediocre/bad FCS teams. If they run through the SWAC, then I will see them as a top 25 worthy team.

App St. might have almost lost to El Cid, but they won. And they might not be as dominant as they have been in the past, but I still think they're going to get the benefit of the doubt on Selection Sunday.

And nice shot at the Big South... SLC fans really don't have a ton of leverage in an argument against the BSC. The auto-bid is the only reason your conference can brag anything over the BSC. I would love to see a SLC v. Big South matchup at some point, would be very interesting.

ToTheLeft
October 4th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I doubt we'd see two Patriot and a Big South (a 3-2 one at that) before we saw a Big Sky at-large

And I wanted to pick a Big Sky At Large, but couldn't. EWU would be the obvious pick but I just have his feeling that the NCAA will be the big mean bully and keep them out. Weber's loss this week makes me unsure they'll be able to run off enough wins, and MSU is unproven, but could be the team.

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2009, 03:30 PM
PV beat Texas Southern (which is part of the reason you have them ranked), which is not a strong win for them. The only reason you could put them in your top 25 is if you thought Grambling was a top 25 team. PV lost to a bad FBS team, and has beaten a couple of mediocre/bad FCS teams. If they run through the SWAC, then I will see them as a top 25 worthy team.

McNeese lose to a BAD FBS team too. Yet, they beat Appalachian State. Bad argument.

PV is 2-1 with a 2-0 mark against FCS. Sure, the SWAC is subpar, but PV just did something historical and beat Grambling. With lots of 1-3 and 2-2 teams receiving votes, would rather go with a 2-1 team. Make sense?

App St. might have almost lost to El Cid, but they won. And they might not be as dominant as they have been in the past, but I still think they're going to get the benefit of the doubt on Selection Sunday.

Not if they do not get the wins they need to make it happen. They have a long road to go and SoCon is not easy.

And nice shot at the Big South... SLC fans really don't have a ton of leverage in an argument against the BSC. The auto-bid is the only reason your conference can brag anything over the BSC. I would love to see a SLC v. Big South matchup at some point, would be very interesting.

The SLC beat the Big South last year (SHSU over G-W) and will beat them again next year. The league continues to have a higher GPI than the Big South. There is more quality depth in the SLC - hence the two teams in the top 15 (UCA, McN).

Automatic Qualifiers

At-Larges
Richmond
New Hampshire
William & Mary
Massachusetts
Appalachian State
SIU
Holy Cross

LOL!

Big South homer with considering Liberty as an at-large. What makes you believe the Pioneer will have two teams in? What leads you to believe that the SLC won't get two teams in if SFA continues to play as they have and that McNeese, which plays at SFA is favored to win the conference?

Twentysix
October 4th, 2009, 03:35 PM
xeyebrowx It wasn't a mistake until yesterday.

Before that it was an uninformed opion.:D

SIU BARELY beat a $#$%ing terrible NDSU team while SIU was at home, I would assume UNI and SDSU wipe the floor with them. the MSU SIU game is 50/50 either way.

Dont be a homer. Sdsu will get the atlarge. SIU or MSU could be last one in.

UAalum72
October 4th, 2009, 04:30 PM
What makes you believe the Pioneer will have two teams in?
Having trouble keeping the Patriot and the Pioneer separate in your mind?

siuham
October 4th, 2009, 04:50 PM
SIU BARELY beat a $#$%ing terrible NDSU team while SIU was at home, I would assume UNI and SDSU wipe the floor with them. the MSU SIU game is 50/50 either way.

lol

SIU BARELY beat NDSU? Wipe out the fluke of a TD you got on a blocked FG and it was 24-7. 24-10 if you want to give them the FG and say it wasn't blocked. The game was never in doubt.

When you NDSU fans jump ship, you REALLY get the **** out.

soccerguy315
October 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Hofstra is not in the playoff picture.

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM
What makes you believe the Pioneer will have two teams in?

If the Pioneer gets two teams in, I'm done. xlolx

Uncle Buck
October 4th, 2009, 07:50 PM

I'm not saying that we should be in the thick of it, but 3-2 (1-1) with 1 loss to FCS #1 and the other to an FBS. Two wins that should have been wins and a win over #7 JMU who has a quality win against then #25 Liberty.

Again, not sure how you can't even say bubble? While there is still a lot of work to do and as unlikely as it may seem, i for one haven't given up hope on the playoffs. When we lose four games, i will consider us eliminated.

SO ILLmatic
October 4th, 2009, 07:55 PM
the MSU SIU game is 50/50 either way.

How is this game a toss up in your opinion?

Just picking your brain to see how you came up with this prediction

UNI Pike
October 4th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Having trouble keeping the Patriot and the Pioneer separate in your mind?

Doesn't everyone? xoopsx

Houndawg
October 4th, 2009, 08:35 PM

You won't know that for sure until you've lost to both of us.xrulesx

You shouldn't be so peevish, we tried to tell you the MVC as tough.xnonox

Houndawg
October 4th, 2009, 08:40 PM

xrolleyesx You're off your meds. We stuffed you in the second half and exposed your lack of speed. You're longest gain on the day was 14 yards. Karim is twice the back Paschll is.

R.A.
October 4th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Prairie View plays how many games this season??

Besides, if the Panthers win the SWAC West, they won't be allowed to make the playoffs because they MUST go to the SWAC Championship game.

tribefootballfan
October 5th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Westcoastaggie, why should W&M be out for losing to VU on the road?? 5 should lose to the #2 on the road.

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Westcoastaggie, why should W&M be out for losing to VU on the road?? 5 should lose to the #2 on the road.

With the results of this past weekend of the CAA & the assumption that the CAA will get 3-4 at large bids. Right now I beileve that W&M is not out but is now on the bubble grouped with Hofstra and JMU regarding that 4th at-large spot from the CAA with your lop-sided loss to 'Nova.

panther25
October 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM
With the results of this past weekend of the CAA & the assumption that the CAA will get 3-4 at large bids. Right now I beileve that W&M is not out but is now on the bubble grouped with Hofstra and JMU regarding that 4th at-large spot from the CAA with your lop-sided loss to 'Nova.

so 4-1 equals 2-2 or 3-2 in your eyes with a loss to arguably the best team in the nation and a win over an FBS Virginia squad that just beat UNC. Logic noted.

The loss wasn't lopsided either. They were very evenly matched. A couple things here and there and a redzone offense adn the Tribe could have easilly won that game.

DOME
October 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I really don't think SIU is getting the credit they deserve. They just won big against an instate conference opponent and someone thinks SDSU gets an at large after a loss?

89Hen
October 5th, 2009, 10:29 AM
At-Larges
South Carolina State
Not saying they won't get in, but a 9-2 SCSt would NOT deserve to be in. Zero wins over ranked teams. Grambling would be their "marquis" win. xeyebrowx

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 10:36 AM
so 4-1 equals 2-2 or 3-2 in your eyes with a loss to arguably the best team in the nation and a win over an FBS Virginia squad that just beat UNC. Logic noted.

The loss wasn't lopsided either. They were very evenly matched. A couple things here and there and a redzone offense adn the Tribe could have easilly won that game.

I like the humility. xthumbsupx
I believe as such because the CAA is just that competitive and W&M was overrated while Hofstra was underrated. Every game will count and I believe that the CAA just will not get more than 4 teams. I may be proven wrong and the CAA can get 6 teams in.

BTW: W&M COULD have done things in the Red Zone, but 'Nova was and is just too good. If I was voting in the AGS Poll, I would vote you guys #1.

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Not saying they won't get in, but a 9-2 SCSt would NOT deserve to be in. Zero wins over ranked teams. Grambling would be their "marquis" win. xeyebrowx

They did look good against USC and held them to 10 pts in the first half. They didn't shock the world but they are showing that this year's team should get heavy consideration IF they go 9-2 (with a loss to FAMU ONLY).

panther25
October 5th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I like the humility. xthumbsupx
I believe as such because the CAA is just that competitive and W&M was overrated while Hofstra was underrated. Every game will count and I believe that the CAA just will not get more than 4 teams. I may be proven wrong and the CAA can get 6 teams in.

BTW: W&M COULD have done things in the Red Zone, but 'Nova was and is just too good. If I was voting in the AGS Poll, I would vote you guys #1.

That sounds good to me xthumbsupx

PhoenixMan
October 5th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah I'm willing to admit right now the FCS loves us so if we go 8-3 we will easily get in, we may could even go 7-4 and still have some kind of shot I mean really were like the Florida of FCS.

The Florida of the FCS?? I have heard it all now. I think Appy is lucky to go 6-5, and even your PAST accomplishments won't get you in with that record.

89Hen
October 5th, 2009, 11:13 AM
They did look good against USC and held them to 10 pts in the first half. They didn't shock the world but they are showing that this year's team should get heavy consideration IF they go 9-2 (with a loss to FAMU ONLY).
It will depend on the other available teams come selection time.

They should just consider the FAMU game to be their first round game. xsmiley_wix

Pitz
October 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM
NoBowls has their first bracket up for the season: www.nobowls.com

Seems to be in line with comments on here for the most part.

panther25
October 5th, 2009, 11:56 AM
NoBowls has their first bracket up for the season: www.nobowls.com

Seems to be in line with comments on here for the most part.

Villanova - Auto
Richmond #1 seed.

Looks about right xlolxxlolx

ToTheLeft
October 5th, 2009, 12:01 PM
How would 9-2 SCST have any kind of argument over 9(8)-2 Liberty? I just don't get it...

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 12:24 PM
How would 9-2 SCST have any kind of argument over 9(8)-2 Liberty? I just don't get it...
They played a stronger schedule and Liberty already have two loses. And the loss to JMU doesn't look as good after this weekend (JMU lost to Hofstra)

BTW: the PATRIOT WILL NOT GET TWO TEAMS IN! THE CAA WILL GET 6 BIDS BEFORE THAT HAPPENS. xsmhx @ nobowls.com

R.A.
October 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM

What Division is West Virginia Wesleyan in? Are they FCS?

SCSU went through this in 2004 AND 2005. Their 9-2 records were really 8-2 because of DII games with Benedict and (at that time) Winston Salem State.

It's going to hurt not getting selected for the playoffs, just like it hurt the MEAC when 9-2 SCSU wasn't selected for the playoffs two years in a row!!!

But, it is what it is.

Liberty would not beat out any MEAC 9-2 this season.

Next year the Big South will be an automatic bid conference, so the Flames can play whatever teams they want. if Liberty still wins the Big South's Automatic bid, they're in.

ToTheLeft
October 5th, 2009, 01:01 PM
They played a stronger schedule and Liberty already have two loses. And the loss to JMU doesn't look as good after this weekend (JMU lost to Hofstra)

BTW: the PATRIOT WILL NOT GET TWO TEAMS IN! THE CAA WILL GET 6 BIDS BEFORE THAT HAPPENS. xsmhx @ nobowls.com

You're a MEAC fan, you really have no room to smack on the Patriot league. On a regular basis, the Patriot and Big South are neck in neck, and clearly ahead of the lower leagues such as the MEAC, SWAC, and Pioneer. But your attempt at ignoring facts makes you look really credible, so keep it up!

Example. GPI from November of last year...

7. Ivy League (47.61)
8. Patriot League (47.86)
9. Big South Conference (48.91)
10. Ohio Valley Conference (52.09)
11. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (60.79)
12. Northeast Conference (66.69)
13. Southwestern Athletic Conference (70.14)
14. Pioneer Football League (75.13)
15. Independents (79.13)

Also... let's compare the schedules real quick-like..

SC State has played an FBS. So has LU. LU had a closer final score. SC and WVU are on the same level, so its not really apples to oranges. (Push, maybe a slight edge to LU)

SC State has an 0-5 FCS independent. LU has a DII. Although the committee doesn't see them the same way, they're really virtually the same. A terrible team is a terrible team. Both teams got wins against the terrible teams. (LU more convincingly, but against a weaker opponent. (Push, maybe a slight edge to SCSU)

SC State won on the road to an 0-4 MEAC team that lost to a sub D-I opponent. This is a game they should have won, but B-C is a terrible team and does nothing for their schedule strength, or your argument that their conference is stronger. Presby and Charleston Southern can beat Sub-DI teams, and they're by far the worst in our conference. The worst teams in your conference lose to DII's. Compare the win over B-C to LU's win over NCCU, who is 0-5 but with all DI losses, including close losses to MEAC teams and 2 OT losses. (Advantage, LU)

SC State's Marquee win, I am sure you would argue, is their game against Grambling State, in Orlando, which they won by a FG. This seemed like a good win, since a lot of people had Grambling on the bubble preseason, however, their loss to PVAM this week makes that win seem less influential. Liberty's marquee win is over Lafayette, who remains unbeaten other than the loss to Liberty. This win was on the road. Lafayette has proven to be a good team by beating the two Ivy league teams they have faced thus far. This is obviously in LU's favor, as Lafayette is inching towards the top 25, and Grambling took a big step away from it this week. (Advantage, LU)

Liberty has played one more game than SCSU, and that was their loss to JMU at home in a downpour. Liberty lost, despite having chances to win. JMU might have lost a close one to Hofstra, but they also took a mid-level ACC team into overtime, and really should have won that game. JMU is a solid team that had a bad game, and this loss to JMU is still a loss to a better team than any FCS foe on the SCSU schedule. FAMU and Grambling are the two best teams on the SCSU schedule other than FBS South Carolina, and neither of them are as good as JMU. If SCSU loses to FAMU, it doesn't have a prayer at the playoffs. Same goes for FAMU, unless they somehow beat "The U", then lose to SCSU, and both then run the table. Then they would have a somewhat convincing argument.

So, to recap:

Big South is obviously better than the MEAC. GPI and other factors prove this.

Liberty has had, and will have, a better schedule than anyone in the MEAC.

Liberty has a better resume thus far than SCSU, who I have rated highly, but thanks to this experience, they will be under a more strict review after I took a closer look at the terrible teams they play in the MEAC.

ToTheLeft
October 5th, 2009, 01:07 PM

SCSU went through this in 2004 AND 2005. Their 9-2 records were really 8-2 because of DII games with Benedict and (at that time) Winston Salem State.

It's going to hurt not getting selected for the playoffs, just like it hurt the MEAC when 9-2 SCSU wasn't selected for the playoffs two years in a row!!!

But, it is what it is.

Next year the Big South will be an automatic bid conference, so the Flames can play whatever teams they want. if Liberty still wins the Big South's Automatic bid, they're in.

See my above post, but the MEAC is worse than the Big South. Wins over B-C and Winston Salem and Howard are practically DII wins, however you get credit for a "DI" win for beating them. I think West Virginia Wesleyan would give B-C a serious run for it's money. Even Morgan State, who is 2nd in the MEAC at the moment, almost lost to Winston Salem. That's BAD! That would be like if CSU had struggled against Sahvannah State (They did not, they actually blew them out, further proving my point)

If it was all about records and not resumes, then Liberty belonged in the playoffs last year. But it's about who you beat, not how many teams you beat. Which is why if SCSU doesn't beat FAMU, and vice versa, they will have NO quality wins on their resume, and therefore will be left out of the playoffs. They need each other to be the win that gets them in the playoffs, and even then, one beating the other practically wins the MEAC, and gives them an auto-bid.

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM
You're a MEAC fan, you really have no room to smack on the Patriot league. On a regular basis, the Patriot and Big South are neck in neck, and clearly ahead of the lower leagues such as the MEAC, SWAC, and Pioneer. But your attempt at ignoring facts makes you look really credible, so keep it up!

Example. GPI from November of last year...

7. Ivy League (47.61)
8. Patriot League (47.86)
9. Big South Conference (48.91)
10. Ohio Valley Conference (52.09)
11. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (60.79)
12. Northeast Conference (66.69)
13. Southwestern Athletic Conference (70.14)
14. Pioneer Football League (75.13)
15. Independents (79.13)

Also... let's compare the schedules real quick-like..

SC State has played an FBS. So has LU. LU had a closer final score. SC and WVU are on the same level, so its not really apples to oranges. (Push, maybe a slight edge to LU)

SC State has an 0-5 FCS independent. LU has a DII. Although the committee doesn't see them the same way, they're really virtually the same. A terrible team is a terrible team. Both teams got wins against the terrible teams. (LU more convincingly, but against a weaker opponent. (Push, maybe a slight edge to SCSU)

SC State won on the road to an 0-4 MEAC team that lost to a sub D-I opponent. This is a game they should have won, but B-C is a terrible team and does nothing for their schedule strength, or your argument that their conference is stronger. Presby and Charleston Southern can beat Sub-DI teams, and they're by far the worst in our conference. The worst teams in your conference lose to DII's. Compare the win over B-C to LU's win over NCCU, who is 0-5 but with all DI losses, including close losses to MEAC teams and 2 OT losses. (Advantage, LU)

SC State's Marquee win, I am sure you would argue, is their game against Grambling State, in Orlando, which they won by a FG. This seemed like a good win, since a lot of people had Grambling on the bubble preseason, however, their loss to PVAM this week makes that win seem less influential. Liberty's marquee win is over Lafayette, who remains unbeaten other than the loss to Liberty. This win was on the road. Lafayette has proven to be a good team by beating the two Ivy league teams they have faced thus far. This is obviously in LU's favor, as Lafayette is inching towards the top 25, and Grambling took a big step away from it this week. (Advantage, LU)

Liberty has played one more game than SCSU, and that was their loss to JMU at home in a downpour. Liberty lost, despite having chances to win. JMU might have lost a close one to Hofstra, but they also took a mid-level ACC team into overtime, and really should have won that game. JMU is a solid team that had a bad game, and this loss to JMU is still a loss to a better team than any FCS foe on the SCSU schedule. FAMU and Grambling are the two best teams on the SCSU schedule other than FBS South Carolina, and neither of them are as good as JMU. If SCSU loses to FAMU, it doesn't have a prayer at the playoffs. Same goes for FAMU, unless they somehow beat "The U", then lose to SCSU, and both then run the table. Then they would have a somewhat convincing argument.

So, to recap:

Liberty has a better resume thus far than SCSU, who I have rated highly, but thanks to this experience, they will be under a more strict review after I took a closer look at the terrible teams they play in the MEAC.

Now how are you going to use a GPI from last year to show that the MEAC is weaker then the Big South this year? xlolx

And how can you think I am a homer when I was on this board last year protesting the Fames not making it into the playoffs with a 10-1 record and Maine got in.

In the words of ED Lover, C'MON SON!

BTW: Just because I am a MEACFan (WWW.MEACFANS.COM), doesn't mean I will not use clear, objective judgment in my thoughts about the season. Liberty had their chance to show what they can do this season against JMU and got blown out the water and that loss doesn't look as good since they lost to Hofstra!

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM
See my above post, but the MEAC is worse than the Big South. Wins over B-C and Winston Salem and Howard are practically DII wins, however you get credit for a "DI" win for beating them. I think West Virginia Wesleyan would give B-C a serious run for it's money. Even Morgan State, who is 2nd in the MEAC at the moment, almost lost to Winston Salem. That's BAD! That would be like if CSU had struggled against Sahvannah State (They did not, they actually blew them out, further proving my point)

If it was all about records and not resumes, then Liberty belonged in the playoffs last year. But it's about who you beat, not how many teams you beat. Which is why if SCSU doesn't beat FAMU, and vice versa, they will have NO quality wins on their resume, and therefore will be left out of the playoffs. They need each other to be the win that gets them in the playoffs, and even then, one beating the other practically wins the MEAC, and gives them an auto-bid.

South Carolina looked good against South Carolina last week. xwhistlex

jcmanson
October 5th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Haha, 10-10 at the beginning of the 4th quarter, and we "got blown out of the water."

ToTheLeft
October 5th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Now how are you going to use a GPI from last year to show that the MEAC is weaker then the Big South this year? xlolx

And how can you think I am a homer when I was on this board last year protesting the Fames not making it into the playoffs with a 10-1 record and Maine got in.

In the words of ED Lover, C'MON SON!

BTW: Just because I am a MEACFan (WWW.MEACFANS.COM), doesn't mean I will not use clear, objective judgment in my thoughts about the season. Liberty had their chance to show what they can do this season against JMU and got blown out the water and that loss doesn't look as good since they lost to Hofstra!

Liberty was not blown out by JMU, although there was a lot of water.

And the MEAC is historically weaker than the BSC, and still is. The MEAC has 2 star teams, the BSC has 1. Other than that, from middle to bottom, Big South is much stronger.

Kemo
October 5th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I really don't think SIU is getting the credit they deserve. They just won big against an instate conference opponent and someone thinks SDSU gets an at large after a loss?

Most people thought SDSU was going to get an at-large bid before the loss, and many probably feel that the Jacks losing a road game that was over 1800 miles away by a late TD to a good Cal Poly shouldn't hurt the overall perception of the team.

I agree that SIU probably isn't getting enough credit, but it'll all be hashed out after UNI/SDSU/SIU play each other... and it wouldn't really surprise me if it ended up in a 3 way tie for the conference title.

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM

And the MEAC is historically weaker than the BSC, and still is. The MEAC has 2 star teams, the BSC has 1. Other than that, from middle to bottom, Big South is much stronger.

Just keep thinking that. xcoffeex

CamelCityAppFan
October 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM
The Florida of the FCS?? I have heard it all now. I think Appy is lucky to go 6-5, and even your PAST accomplishments won't get you in with that record.

Really? App will be lucky to go 4-3 over it's next 7 games? Which 3 will they lose? The 6 conference opponents App has left have a combined conference record of 7-8, including 2 conference opponents who have yet to win a conference game.

I'll be the first to admit that App has looked less than stellar over it's first 4 outings, but gimme a break. App is still undefeated in conference play, is still the defending conference champ (4 years in a row). Count ASU out at your own peril.

Let's look at what Elon has done this season and compare it to what ASU has done this season:

This year Elon has:

* Lost by 28 points to an FBS team that is now 3-2
* Beaten a conference opponent by a comfortable margin at home, and squeaked out a win against another conference opponent on the road in the final moments of the game
* Beaten up on 2 cupcakes with a combined current record of 1-8 (no offense to the cupcakes-- we play money games, too).

This year ASU has:

* Lost by 5 points to an FBS team that is now 3-2 (with a chance to win late in the game)
* Lost by 5 points to an OOC FCS team that is now ranked in the top 10 (above both Elon and ASU)
* Beaten a conference opponent by a comfortable margin at home, and squeaked out a win against another conference opponent on the road in overtime

Based on how the season is shaking out, I think if Elon wins the SoCon (which many posters seem to take as a given), they'll have to beat App on Nov 14-- which is something they've never done since joining the SoCon. If that happens, I'll be among the first to congratulate the Phoenix-- but I wouldn't count on it just yet (and I wouldn't count on ASU losing 2 prior to that).

slostang
October 5th, 2009, 03:44 PM
If Cal Poly manages to knock off Montana this week they would definately have to be in the mix for an at large spot.

ToTheLeft
October 5th, 2009, 03:47 PM
If Cal Poly manages to knock off Montana this week they would definately have to be in the mix for an at large spot.

However, should they lose, nail will meet coffin. It's a HUGE game, that's for sure.

RabidRabbit
October 5th, 2009, 08:14 PM
However, should they lose, nail will meet coffin. It's a HUGE game, that's for sure.

IMHO, an 8-3 Cal Poly makes the play-offs. Especially if the win is over the BSC champ. However, TWO losses is a death knoll.

Interesting MoValley match-up in Springfield, MO this weekend. If Mo St pulls the win, I would be surprised if SDSU manages to qualify. However, if SDSU wins, and wins big, ala UNI over Mo St, then they're right in the discussion again. xpeacex

R.A.
October 5th, 2009, 11:32 PM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I don't think any team in the Big South can defeat our top two teams right now South Carolina State and Florida A&M but that's my opinion.

As far as the Big South relates to my school Howard, Charleston Southern hasn't defeated us yet in the two or three games we've played them, and my Bison have been pretty weak this decade.

So, my opinion of the Big South is one that many people over here in the MEAC have, that the Big South is over rated.

But I respect the Big South.

R.A.
October 5th, 2009, 11:36 PM

Much stronger???

NC A&T is one of the MEAC's weaker teams, yet it took Coastal Carolina-- one of the Big South's stronger teams-- four quarters of football to pull away from them in Conway.

R.A.
October 5th, 2009, 11:40 PM

Praire View lost by a field goal to New Mexico State, a bad FBS school.

Just like JMU lost by a field goal to Maryland, a bad FBS Schoolxlolxxlolx.

Think about it.

R.A.
October 5th, 2009, 11:42 PM

WHAT???

Hofstra is the CAA playoff picture right now.

R.A.
October 5th, 2009, 11:43 PM

True. But with the way the Bulldogs played against the Gamecocks, it would be hard to keep them out with a 9-2 record.

But come on folks, SC State isn't going to lose to Florida A&M at home in Orangeburg, South Carolina.

R.A.
October 6th, 2009, 12:06 AM
IMHO, an 8-3 Cal Poly makes the play-offs. Especially if the win is over the BSC champ. However, TWO losses is a death knoll.

Wait a second here.

With the Mustangs, we're talking about two FBS losses to mediocre teams.

Ohio and San Jose State aren't good FBS teams, they're not in the ACC or SEC or the Pac- 10. We're talking about WAC and MAC schools here.

Why award Cal Poly for losses to low ranking FBS teams?

I see those teams as defeatable for any team in FCS Playoff consideration.

If Cal Poly loses to Montana and goes 8-3, I don't think they deserve a playoff at large bid.

Big Dawg
October 6th, 2009, 12:48 AM
But come on folks, SC State isn't going to lose to Florida A&M at home in Orangeburg, South Carolina.

Bullcrap...

PhoenixMan
October 6th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Really? App will be lucky to go 4-3 over it's next 7 games? Which 3 will they lose? The 6 conference opponents App has left have a combined conference record of 7-8, including 2 conference opponents who have yet to win a conference game.

I'll be the first to admit that App has looked less than stellar over it's first 4 outings, but gimme a break. App is still undefeated in conference play, is still the defending conference champ (4 years in a row). Count ASU out at your own peril.

Let's look at what Elon has done this season and compare it to what ASU has done this season:

This year Elon has:

* Beaten a conference opponent by a comfortable margin at home, and squeaked out a win against another conference opponent on the road in the final moments of the game
* Beaten up on 2 cupcakes with a combined current record of 1-8 (no offense to the cupcakes-- we play money games, too).

This year ASU has:

* Lost by 5 points to an FBS team that is now 3-2 (with a chance to win late in the game)
* Lost by 5 points to an OOC FCS team that is now ranked in the top 10 (above both Elon and ASU)
* Beaten a conference opponent by a comfortable margin at home, and squeaked out a win against another conference opponent on the road in overtime

Based on how the season is shaking out, I think if Elon wins the SoCon (which many posters seem to take as a given), they'll have to beat App on Nov 14-- which is something they've never done since joining the SoCon. If that happens, I'll be among the first to congratulate the Phoenix-- but I wouldn't count on it just yet (and I wouldn't count on ASU losing 2 prior to that).

I'm not counting Appy out for real. Just had to respond to that Florida of the FCS statement. You're right, we have yet to beat Appy (at least in any recent history, since they started wearing facemasks). I don't think App is as good as they have been, I think Elon is better than they have been.....Nov. 14 will loom large if things work the way I see them working.

CamelCityAppFan
October 6th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I'm not counting Appy out for real. Just had to respond to that Florida of the FCS statement. You're right, we have yet to beat Appy (at least in any recent history, since they started wearing facemasks). I don't think App is as good as they have been, I think Elon is better than they have been.....Nov. 14 will loom large if things work the way I see them working.

I'm still curious as to the other 2 teams (besides Elon) that you think App will lose to...xeyebrowx

R.A.
October 6th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Bullcrap...

When's the last time a Joe Taylor coached team has defeated Buddy Pough, 2005.

Buddy has Taylor's number.

soccerguy315
October 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM
WHAT???

Hofstra is the CAA playoff picture right now.

well, I see 3 more loses on their schedule, BUT... that's why they play the games. If Hofstra wins out, then they will be in the playoffs, I'm sure. Like many other teams at this time of year, they control their own destiny. xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
October 6th, 2009, 12:04 PM
well, I see 3 more loses on their schedule, BUT... that's why they play the games. If Hofstra wins out, then they will be in the playoffs, I'm sure. Like many other teams at this time of year, they control their own destiny. xthumbsupx

Now you're talking. While i don't think they will make the playoffs, I have to wonder what the win over JMU does to the psyche of both the players and coaches. The program has been in such a funk winning big games, that this could be the confidence builder that teaches them how to win again. Even if JMU struggles the rest of the way out, it's a good win to get off the schneid against them.

DSUrocks07
October 6th, 2009, 04:06 PM

They played a stronger schedule

On a regular basis, the Patriot and Big South are neck in neck, and clearly ahead of the lower leagues such as the MEAC, SWAC, and Pioneer.

Big South is obviously better than the MEAC.

So goes life at the bottom of the barrel. xlolxxlolxxlolx

The BCS teams have to deal with other FBS teams thinking that they are better than them.
The other FBS teams have to deal with top line FCS teams thinking that they are better than them.
The top line FCS teams have to deal with other FCS teams thinking that they are better than them.

And so on and so forth. xlolxxlolxxlolx

Guys guys, we're all fighting for scraps here. Its a shame that we cant play each other regularly xpeacex

gophoenix
October 7th, 2009, 06:43 AM

This year Elon has:

This year ASU has:

Uhm,
These two statements are highly misleading and quite a spin of the facts.....

and

Just by stating record, you seem to indicate that all FBS teams are equal that have a 3-2 record. In other words. One of those 3-2 teams has an average computer ranking of 31, while the other has an average computer ranking of 92. So, comparing the two and just calling them FBS is not an accurate comparison of what the two teams have done. The rest I can agree with.

The average computer ranking of SoS between Elon and App is 151 for App and 175 for Elon. Not exactly vastly different either.

Honestly, I don't care how good or bad App is. What matters is the game, and this is a league where it is shown that record and ranking don't matter saturday to saturday.

CamelCityAppFan
October 7th, 2009, 08:04 AM
The average computer ranking of SoS between Elon and App is 151 for App and 175 for Elon. Not exactly vastly different either.

You've got to be joking-- computer rankings of SoS in week 5? The 2 creampuffs Elon racked up all that offense against are a combined 1-8. That means that these teams aren't very good when they are playing teams other than Elon.

Is Wake better than ECU? Sure I'll give you that.

But McNeese State is also a whole lot better than Davidson and Presby.

It's weird, when App loses two close games to good teams, the season is done and App has no chance at playoffs (conference title? forget it). The fact that App isn't beating conference foes by 40 points is further proof of the Mountaineers' demise.

Yet when Elon beats the snot out of two teams which, frankly, they should beat the snot out of, it serves as proof that Elon is "in the driver's seat" and "the team to beat in the SoCon". I just don't buy that yet. Elon has to do something first (two good conference wins is a start, but only a start).

As long as we're trotting out computer rankings and such, how's this for a fun fact: in Elon's 2 warmup games this year, they scored 97 points and 1,189 yards. In App's 2 warmup games last year (which included Presby), they scored 104 points and 1,237 yards. What does this mean? Is Elon almost as good this year as App was last year? Who knows? xrolleyesx

Like I said in my original post, if Elon beats App, wins the SoCon, and goes to the playoffs, I'll be back on this board offering congrats. But no way am I going to concede all that 4 or 5 games into the season, especially when Elon has never done those things before. There's a first time for everything.

All that aside :), still haven't had the original poster explain how App goes 4-3 over the next 7 games (which was what prompted my post in the first place). xcoffeex xrolleyesx

I think Appy is lucky to go 6-5, and even your PAST accomplishments won't get you in with that record.

gophoenix
October 7th, 2009, 10:14 AM
You've got to be joking-- computer rankings of SoS in week 5? The 2 creampuffs Elon racked up all that offense against are a combined 1-8. That means that these teams aren't very good when they are playing teams other than Elon.

Is Wake better than ECU? Sure I'll give you that.

But McNeese State is also a whole lot better than Davidson and Presby.

It's weird, when App loses two close games to good teams, the season is done and App has no chance at playoffs (conference title? forget it). The fact that App isn't beating conference foes by 40 points is further proof of the Mountaineers' demise.

Yet when Elon beats the snot out of two teams which, frankly, they should beat the snot out of, it serves as proof that Elon is "in the driver's seat" and "the team to beat in the SoCon". I just don't buy that yet. Elon has to do something first (two good conference wins is a start, but only a start).

As long as we're trotting out computer rankings and such, how's this for a fun fact: in Elon's 2 warmup games this year, they scored 97 points and 1,189 yards. In App's 2 warmup games last year (which included Presby), they scored 104 points and 1,237 yards. What does this mean? Is Elon almost as good this year as App was last year? Who knows? xrolleyesx

Like I said in my original post, if Elon beats App, wins the SoCon, and goes to the playoffs, I'll be back on this board offering congrats. But no way am I going to concede all that 4 or 5 games into the season, especially when Elon has never done those things before. There's a first time for everything.

All that aside :), still haven't had the original poster explain how App goes 4-3 over the next 7 games (which was what prompted my post in the first place). xcoffeex xrolleyesx

I never said App didn't have a shot. And I am not saying App doesn't have a shot now. Heck, I think 6 teams still have a legit shot.

But, the whole point of my post was throwing out numbers just to show stats can be spun to prove any point. The one piece of truth is, Wake is much better than ECU, and that was really the only thing I was pointing out.

I think the real issue would be, how does Elon rack of the yards they do, but score as little as they do? All those yards against Wake, GSU and Furman while scoring a total of 48 points off nearly 1200 yards of offense, nearly the same amount of offense put on the first two games where 97 points were scored.

CamelCityAppFan
October 7th, 2009, 10:18 AM
All those yards against Wake, GSU and Furman while scoring a total of 48 points off nearly 1200 yards of offense, nearly the same amount of offense put on the first two games where 97 points were scored.

I would again refer you to the combined record of 1-8 of your first 2 opponents-- of course you scored a ton, those teams weren't that good. Good teams will give up yards but not points.

I've got no beef with you xpeacex; I was really reacting to the throwaway line of "App will be lucky to go 6-5".

gophoenix
October 7th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I would again refer you to the combined record of 1-8 of your first 2 opponents-- of course you scored a ton, those teams weren't that good. Good teams will give up yards but not points.

I've got no beef with you xpeacex; I was really reacting to the throwaway line of "App will be lucky to go 6-5".

I disagree, good teams don't give up 400-500 yards. If you can get that many yards, you should be putting it in the endzone way more than we are. I say its a combination of things, good defenses and inexperienced OC/3 in 3 years thing.

Davidson was weak, yes. I don't think Presbyterian is near as weak, but they are nowhere near as strong. Those go back to the FCS committee saying a Davidson > DII opponent a la CAA schedules the past couple of years.

I dunno. We have to find ways to get it in the endzone, there is only so much a descent D like ours can do if you're not scoring points. Take the Furman game, a defensive battle, but we racked up tons of yards but couldn't see to really convert. Granted some were mistakes like the fumble or interception that we had in the red zone. but when a drive just stalls.... that's not good.

I don't know what App or Elon will do over the course of the next few months. I refuse to say App is weak. And I refuse to sit here and listen to others say Elon is weak (or Furman/Samford/The Citadel/GSU for that matter either) not being top 5 does not equate to being weak either.

PhoenixMan
October 7th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I disagree, good teams don't give up 400-500 yards. If you can get that many yards, you should be putting it in the endzone way more than we are. I say its a combination of things, good defenses and inexperienced OC/3 in 3 years thing.

Davidson was weak, yes. I don't think Presbyterian is near as weak, but they are nowhere near as strong. Those go back to the FCS committee saying a Davidson > DII opponent a la CAA schedules the past couple of years.

I dunno. We have to find ways to get it in the endzone, there is only so much a descent D like ours can do if you're not scoring points. Take the Furman game, a defensive battle, but we racked up tons of yards but couldn't see to really convert. Granted some were mistakes like the fumble or interception that we had in the red zone. but when a drive just stalls.... that's not good.

I don't know what App or Elon will do over the course of the next few months. I refuse to say App is weak. And I refuse to sit here and listen to others say Elon is weak (or Furman/Samford/The Citadel/GSU for that matter either) not being top 5 does not equate to being weak either.

I think it's clear....Elon will have to be less conservative with the play calling as the weeks get tougher. Yards are great, they don't win games. We have to throw it down the field more often to Hudgins....give him a chance to do what he does. He is usually a much better athlete than the one or two guys covering...he can go get it!

elcid03
October 7th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Elon this year is the equivalent of a fat girl who loses weight over the summer. Guys start to notice her then they realize she is lousy in the sack. All hype, have not proven anything yet. Let the flogging begin, but you know it is true.

PhoenixMan
October 7th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Elon this year is the equivalent of a fat girl who loses weight over the summer. Guys start to notice her then they realize she is lousy in the sack. All hype, have not proven anything yet. Let the flogging begin, but you know it is true.

As a Citadel "Man" you would certainly know about fat girls in the sack. We'll see Sat. about the flogging....the pups better bring their A game.

elcid03
October 7th, 2009, 02:03 PM
nice comeback