PDA

View Full Version : At-Large Playoff Elimination & Eligibility - Week 5

SumItUp
October 3rd, 2009, 11:34 PM
After the fifth week of play, 86 of the 107 FCS teams still have an opportunity to reach 7 wins against D1 opponents. Eight additional teams were eliminated. The bubble teams that cannot afford another loss jumped to 20 this week. There are a few bubble teams of note. Maine and Wofford are the first two teams that were playoff participants last season to be added to the bubble list. Southern Utah was already on the bubble and they beat #19 Texas State by a score of 38-16 to stay alive.

Elimination Bubble (20) - Bethune Cookman, Campbell, Charleston Southern, Davidson, Lehigh, Maine, Morehead State, Murray State, Nicholls State, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, Northwestern State, Old Dominion, St. Francis, Southeastern Louisiana, Southern Utah, Tennessee-Martin, UC Davis, Valparaiso, Wofford

Eliminated in Week 4 (2) - Indiana State, Savannah State
Eliminated in Week 5 (9) - Austin Peay, Georgetown, Idaho State, Northeastern, Portland State, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart, Southeast Missouri State, Western Carolina

Ineligible (10) - Bryant, Central Arkansas, Chattanooga, Eastern Washington, Jacksonville State, North Carolina Central, North Dakota, Presbyterian, South Dakota, Winston-Salem

To view a list wins/losses, D1 wins, and D1 games remaining for each of the FCS teams, go to FCS Won-Loss through Week 5 (10/3/2009) (http://bit.ly/4j10b0)

seattlespider
October 4th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I would asterisk Eastern Washington, as they are appealing their ineligibility. But they are currently out, yes.

Native
October 4th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Are we considering 7 wins to be the threshold, since there are only 11 regular season games this year?

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Are we considering 7 wins to be the threshold, since there are only 11 regular season games this year?

That's what we should consider every year.

The playoff committee has basically stated and followed through in the past that it will take seven Div I win victories to truly be considered for an at-large bid (barring cancellations for hurricanes, etc).

dgreco
October 4th, 2009, 07:00 AM
this is a question about the NEC/PFL is Bryant not eligible for that game?

disclaiimer: I do not think they will win the NEC this year but maybe 3 years down the road (sort of a UCA/NDSU type thing) that happened recently.

Tunkmaster
October 4th, 2009, 09:00 AM
How many of these teams still have a shot at winning their conference and getting an auto-bid? E.g. Lehigh has yet to play a conference game.

danefan
October 4th, 2009, 09:12 AM
this is a question about the NEC/PFL is Bryant not eligible for that game?

disclaiimer: I do not think they will win the NEC this year but maybe 3 years down the road (sort of a UCA/NDSU type thing) that happened recently.

It won't matter after this year.

After this year the NEC is an AQ conferece and then the same eligibility issues arise as with UCA last year. Although I think the NEC nipped that issue in the bud, because I remember reading somewhere that Bryant won't be eligibile to win the NEC until 2012, which is when the transition is up, right?

aceinthehole
October 4th, 2009, 09:32 AM
It won't matter after this year.

After this year the NEC is an AQ conferece and then the same eligibility issues arise as with UCA last year. Although I think the NEC nipped that issue in the bud, because I remember reading somewhere that Bryant won't be eligibile to win the NEC until 2012, which is when the transition is up, right?

Yeah, Bryant can't win the NEC (and the AQ bid) until 2012.

I honestly don't know if Bryant could technically win the NEC this year and go to the GIC? They might be able to go since its not a NCAA championship and its just an exempt, post-season game (like the NIT).

I'm not sure if the NEC will re-up the GIC after this year. Has anyone heard anything? Clearly, the NEC will have to send its 2nd place team, but I'm not sure if the NCAA will allow the NEC to play in an exempt game and have the AQ.

Big Al
October 4th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there are at least a couple D-II bowls for teams that miss the playoffs. If someone wants to host the games I don't see the harm in some meaningless post-season bowls.

I'm not sure if the NEC will re-up the GIC after this year. Has anyone heard anything? Clearly, the NEC will have to send its 2nd place team, but I'm not sure if the NCAA will allow the NEC to play in an exempt game and have the AQ.