View Full Version : Missouri St. quarterback not satisfied with his performance this season

417Bear
October 3rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
http://www.news-leader.com/article/20091003/SPORTS0401/910030395/-1/BLOGS07/Kirby+seeking+improvement

Lyndal Scranton • News-Leader • October 3, 2009

Post a CommentRecommendPrint this page E-mail this article Share Del.icio.us
Facebook
Digg
Reddit
Newsvine
Buzz up!Twitter
Ask Missouri State's Cody Kirby to evaluate his performance this season and the junior quarterback is brutally honest.

Springfield $39 Auto Insurance?
Insure Your Auto For Cheapest Rate From Top Companies (Submit Zip)
Visit site... How you can make $1000's on penny stocks
Find out how our subscribers are making 100% gains with penny…
Get details... 10K+Debt? Need Credit Card Debt Bailout?
10K+debts? We get rid of high credit card debt. Save 60%! List…
Get details... Springfield Refinance at 4.37% FIXED!
$160 mortgage for $633/mo. Free. No Obligation. Get 4 Quotes!
Explore now...
"I definitely don't think I've been playing up to my potential," Kirby said.

Statistics support his self-criticism. Kirby already has thrown six interceptions, only one fewer than all of last season, to go with four touchdowns.

Coach Terry Allen said Kirby needs to have fun and let things happen naturally as the Bears face Youngstown State today.

"It's so important to him and sometimes, like in the game last Saturday (against Northern Iowa), he tries to do everything so perfectly," Allen said.

"I think he's forcing some things," Allen added. "I never worry about how important it is to him. We're just trying to tell him to relax."

Allen said the offensive inconsistency so far has been unit-wide. For instance, in last week's game, the offensive line gave Kirby little or no time to find receivers. And of those receivers, three are in their first college season.

Twice, on first down, running backs went the wrong direction and caused busted plays.

"We still haven't had a great game offensively and we need to," Allen said.

Offensive coordinator Rob Christophel said the biggest obstacle, at least last week, was failure on first down.

The Bears averaged 2.1 yards on 24 first-down plays against Northern Iowa; eight of those plays resulted in no yards or negative yards.

"Everything's kind of been hit and miss," Christophel said. "We'll have a couple of good plays, then string a couple of bad plays together.

"The critical part of us is on first down. We have to stay out of the second-and-long or third-and-long situations. That's going to be a key for us."

The offense faces one of the Missouri Valley Conference's better defenses today. Youngstown State is allowing 276 yards per game and has intercepted seven passes through four games.

Penguins coach Jon Heacock said he has plenty of respect for MSU's offense, and Kirby in particular.

Kirby rushed for two touchdowns and passed for another in the Bears' 42-28 victory over Youngstown State last season.

"I think the world of Cody Kirby," Heacock said. "He is an excellent football player. He competes at the highest level and is an interesting guy to watch.

"Any time you have one of those type of guys running your offense, you have a chance."

MSU has lost all six of its previous visions to Stambaugh Stadium. A victory today not only would be a breakthrough in that regard, it would avoid an 0-2 start to league play.

It also would serve notice that the Bears are a possible contender for the upper half of the Valley.

"This is a big game for us," Kirby said. "It'll be big to see how we respond after last Saturday."