El Cid*
Furman*
Samford
Chatty
GSU
Woffordxbawlingx
Western

*interchangeable

and BTW Wofford fans I haven't given up on our team yet, but rather if we play like we have the last few games we will be in for a long season. I think we can win 4 or 5 more games, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't because the injury plague and inexperience will be our downfall.

KiddBrewer
October 3rd, 2009, 09:33 PM
Exactly how I would rank them. Possibly interchange Furman and El Cid, maybe? (but you could also put the cid in second, app in 3rd, elon first, so on and so forth) but looks about how I think it will go down.....November 14th, App at Elon will be big on these predictions tho....

Reign of Terrier
October 3rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
Exactly how I would rank them. Possibly interchange Furman and El Cid, maybe? (but you could also put the cid in second, app in 3rd, elon first, etc) but looks about how I think it will go down.....November 14th, App at Elon will be big on these predictions tho....

what do you mean? I think they all have what it takes to finish second xthumbsupx

KiddBrewer
October 3rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
what do you mean? I think they all have what it takes to finish second xthumbsupx

oh i just meant that in my prediction, i might put furman finishing ahead of citadel, maybe "switch" woulda been better words for my post

app
elon
furman
citadel
xthumbsupx

ASUG8
October 3rd, 2009, 09:41 PM
You're taking the rolled up paper to the terriers too quickly, my young friend. WoCo is still a strong team, just a couple of injuries shy of a very strong team.xnodx

Gringer1
October 3rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
You're taking the rolled up paper to the terriers too quickly, my young friend. WoCo is still a strong team, just a couple of injuries shy of a very strong team.xnodx

But we're still counting Georgia Southern out?

KiddBrewer
October 3rd, 2009, 09:45 PM

yeaaaa, but who do they beat?

ASUG8
October 3rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
yeaaaa, but who do they beat?

C'mon - they have a team THIS WEEK decimated by flu and a couple of key injuries - they'll drop WCU for sure, maybe another. The terrierists always give ASU a run, so I won't count them out despite their issues.

MaxASU'81
October 3rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
I think the SoCon is a little better than most of us would believe right now....You guys without injury would be very competitive.

But I saw parts of S. Ill., the Dakota game, UC Davis, JMU, and Villi/Bill and Mary among others! I think there are several teams that do not want to play in our league!

Reign of Terrier
October 3rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
oh i just meant that in my prediction, i might put furman finishing ahead of citadel, maybe "switch" woulda been better words for my post

app
elon
furman
citadel
xthumbsupx

the list has them interchangeable, it there all the same in my book and I really couldn't tell you whose betterxthumbsupx

The thing is that we are so YOUNG on defense, we have talent, we have potential, but really our inexperience will kill us on defense and even on offense. Our QB isn't as good at getting it to the pitch man as others in the past were, which is one of the reasons our offense is sputtering, and he's not as good of a passer. these attributes will come in time, I just don't know if this will be a team that finishes like 2005 (6-5) or 2001 (4-7)

We're in the hole this year, The '09 terriers could very well be like the '08 Blue Hens or the '04 Mountaineers. We still have a bright futurexthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
October 3rd, 2009, 09:52 PM
C'mon - they have a team THIS WEEK decimated by flu and a couple of key injuries - they'll drop WCU for sure, maybe another. The terrierists always give ASU a run, so I won't count them out despite their issues.

70-24xoopsx

...wait a second, why did I have to bring that upxconfusedxxrotatehxxlolx

KiddBrewer
October 3rd, 2009, 09:54 PM

yea, they'll whoop western....or atleast they should.....hard to give them too much hope with sooo many injuries in key spots.....but then again, ive seen teams beat teams they shouldnt.....and i get a real bad feeling when i say a team "wont" win, cause they usually do......

KiddBrewer
October 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
70-24xoopsx

hmm, why did you bring that up?xeyebrowxxlolx

ASUG8
October 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
70-24xoopsx

That's the YOUNG part of terrier......xsmiley_wix

You handed us our behinds in Sparklecity just after the Michigan win if you remember.....

KiddBrewer
October 3rd, 2009, 09:57 PM
That's the YOUNG part of terrier......xsmiley_wix

You handed us our behinds in Sparklecity just after the Michigan win if you remember.....

actually, as i recall it.....we handed them our behinds, and the gamexoopsx

Reign of Terrier
October 3rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
you know the thing is that our offense is still supposed to be pretty decent, the only player we really miss is Eric B., the reason our offense is so lackluster is because of the inexperience in terms of running the full option, Widmyer last year was able to run the whole thing effectively whether it be pitching, passing, running, or handing off which is why we had such a dangerous offense because it was near impossible to stop all 4 aspects (as long as we didn't turn the ball over at least). The problem is that all last year Mitch Allen was always the QB to just hand it off or kill you with his legs, he hasn't quite learned how to pitch it and right now he's not a consistant passer. I have faith that he'll learn as the season progresses, but until he can develop those skills we'll be 1/2 as effective as last year

Reign of Terrier
October 3rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
actually, as i recall it.....we handed them our behinds, and the gamexoopsx

I remember an Armanti that wasn't 100% who played half the game but regardless of which Wofford hit App in the face as many times as they could and Armanti didn't play defensexpeacex. The backup QB wasn't half bad either

Reign of Terrier
October 3rd, 2009, 10:05 PM
in retrospect I don't think "relooking" is a word now is itxeyebrowxxnonoxxoopsxxlolx

theasushow
October 3rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
I would say the top 4 are a crap shoot right now. i love my mountaineers, but I am just not sold on them being the favorite until the defense proves they can stop the ball. giving up 26.5 points a game is not getting it done, i am tired of people using the "stiff competition" theory as a crutch, good defenses step up when they have to. sometimes i feel like we take for granted AE accounting for 350 yards of offense every game...xtwocentsx

Gringer1
October 3rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
But we are counting Georgia Southern out? Just curious what people are thinking.

Reign of Terrier
October 3rd, 2009, 10:12 PM
But we are counting Georgia Southern out? Just curious what people are thinking.

I'm not really counting out anybody out but Wofford isn't playing like a good football team as of now and GSU hasn't played like a good football team as of now

Erks Eagles
October 3rd, 2009, 10:12 PM
My personal opinion:

Appy
Ellen
El Cid
Samford
Furman
GSUxbawlingx
Chatty
Wofford
Western

Reign of Terrier
October 3rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
My personal opinion:

Appy
Ellen
El Cid
Samford
Furman
GSUxbawlingx
Chatty
Wofford
Western

http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/tgoodman/2009/09/10/ellen_degeneres.jpg

xeyebrowxxeyebrowxxeyebrowx

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 3rd, 2009, 10:20 PM
I think GSU will beat Chatty in Statesboro.

ASUG8
October 3rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
I think GSU will beat Chatty in Statesboro.

better check out what the Moc's got cookin'......

They may be coming out of the cellar.xsmiley_wix

Gringer1
October 3rd, 2009, 10:46 PM
better check out what the Moc's got cookin'......

They may be coming out of the cellar.xsmiley_wix

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/Icemonk_2008/Villain.jpg

SCPALADIN
October 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
My personal opinion:

Appy
Ellen
El Cid
Samford
Furman
GSUxbawlingx
Chatty
Wofford
Western

You'll have to retool that list in two weeks when Samford gets punished on homecoming in Greenville.

Death Dealer
October 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Elon
App*
Furman*
El Cid*
Samford
Chatty
GSU
Wofford
Western

After watching Elon today, that is more like it. And until Lamb gets that balls to tell his OC that his kid doesn't have what it takes to win the game, we may be down the line a few notches. JS just can't win the big game. xnonono2x

BullDog85
October 3rd, 2009, 10:53 PM
My personal opinion:

Appyholics - will win the SoCon outright
El Cid
Ellen - Hits it's first roadblock next weekend!
Furby
Slammedfords
Mockingbird U
GaStatePen
Rat Dogs - reloading. Hard to keep a good triple option coach down.
Wesux

SCPALADIN
October 3rd, 2009, 10:54 PM
Elon
App*
Furman*
El Cid*
Samford
Chatty
GSU
Wofford
Western

After watching Elon today, that is more like it. And until Lamb gets that balls to tell his OC that his kid doesn't have what it takes to win the game, we may be down the line a few notches. JS just can't win the big game. xnonono2x

I don't know if I'd take it that far...but JS DEFINITELY cannot run the option. For whatever reason his dad thinks he can.

Lamb growing a pair...That'll be the day.

Death Dealer
October 3rd, 2009, 11:00 PM
I don't know if I'd take it that far...but JS DEFINITELY cannot run the option. For whatever reason his dad thinks he can.

Lamb growing a pair...That'll be the day.

I understand JS being the starter and all with his dad being OC, but why the (long string of expletives here) didn't we at least try Forcier in there when our O was stalling out? Even as slow as JS is, and that is incredibly slow, Elon looked weak on the option. A faster set of feet could have been deadly. JS didn't do well with the option, because everyone in the stadium knew he wasn't going to keep it. xbangx Why did we bring that kid all the way across the country if we aren't going to play him? WTH????xmadx

SU DOG
October 3rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
You'll have to retool that list in two weeks when Samford gets punished on homecoming in Greenville.

If we don't get the offense playing better, we are going to get punished several times. xmadx

SCPALADIN
October 3rd, 2009, 11:05 PM
I understand JS being the starter and all with his dad being OC, but why the (long string of expletives here) didn't we at least try Forcier in there when our O was stalling out? Even as slow as JS is, and that is incredibly slow, Elon looked weak on the option. A faster set of feet could have been deadly. JS didn't do well with the option, because everyone in the stadium knew he wasn't going to keep it. xbangx Why did we bring that kid all the way across the country if we aren't going to play him? WTH????xmadx

I cannot answer any of your questions because every one of them has been running through my head ever since I left campus to drive home. It's been a few years since I've seen so much talent on the field wasted by poor decision making by our overpaid coaching staff.

Death Dealer
October 3rd, 2009, 11:12 PM
I cannot answer any of your questions because every one of them has been running through my head ever since I left campus to drive home. It's been a few years since I've seen so much talent on the field wasted by poor decision making by our overpaid coaching staff.

And I won't say the officials cost us the game. We cost us the game. But, either Hudgens was in the endzone, or that was a fumble. Can't have both. And that was an interception. Simultaneous possession my butt. Watch the replay. Both calls by the same LJ. Guy couldn't officiate a MEAC game.xnonono2x

But, despite all of that, we had ample opportunities to walk out of there with a win. We left lots of points in their redzone today. I swear, that was the best showing by the D I've seen in three years. And Cunningham played his heart out. I felt bad for the D the most though, because they have really taken a lot of criticism the last couple of years, and they showed up to play today, and the coaches let them down.xsmhxxmadx

SCPALADIN
October 3rd, 2009, 11:16 PM
And I won't say the officials cost us the game. I felt bad for the D the most though, because they have really taken a lot of criticism the last couple of years, and they showed up to play today, and the coaches let them down.xsmhxxmadx
Absolutely. The one positive I left the game with was knowing that if our defense plays the rest of the season out the way they did today...we have a strong chance of winning out the SoCon. If we could just get Lamb and Daddy Sorrels to quit blowing games for us...xmadxxmadx

whoanellie
October 3rd, 2009, 11:17 PM
big wins on the road today
As an Elon fan I am very happy and relieved on our win today at Furman.
as clutch as last years win at Statesboro.
redzone turnovers have prevented our offense to not keep up with pretty amazing stats.
glad our offense is balanced,,,? We have to get 400+ to keep up w/ Hudgins 200 + days, what a day
Furman is so pesky and make a lot of clutch 3rd down conversions. glad to get the win

Death Dealer
October 3rd, 2009, 11:28 PM
Absolutely. The one positive I left the game with was knowing that if our defense plays the rest of the season out the way they did today...we have a strong chance of winning out the SoCon. If we could just get Lamb and Daddy Sorrels to quit blowing games for us...xmadxxmadx

It really does come down to coaching. This game was lost on the sideline today. And WTH with running down the clock at the end? Why not let them kick it, and then call a TO? Wouldn't you rather have some time to try and score. I mean, we all knew that unless we blocked it, that kid was going to make that chip shot of a FG! How the hell are we supposed to score with two freaking seconds on the clock? But 30 or 40 would have been enough to get Cesari in range!!!!xoopsx Arghhhhhh!!!!!!

Dinman31
October 3rd, 2009, 11:53 PM
It really does come down to coaching. This game was lost on the sideline today. And WTH with running down the clock at the end? Why not let them kick it, and then call a TO? Wouldn't you rather have some time to try and score. I mean, we all knew that unless we blocked it, that kid was going to make that chip shot of a FG! How the hell are we supposed to score with two freaking seconds on the clock? But 30 or 40 would have been enough to get Cesari in range!!!!xoopsx Arghhhhhh!!!!!!

You guys watched a different game than I did! Other than the timeout situation at the end, I had little problem with our coaching. They had a great gameplan defensively and the special teams were solid minus the late PAT snap.

What killed Furman was offensive execution against a very good Elon defense. The Paladins overthrew open receivers, fumbled inside the 10 and got themselves in too many 3 and long situations.

The playcalling was solid and should have led to more points. I am very excited about our young defense though!!!

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2009, 08:23 AM
You guys watched a different game than I did! Other than the timeout situation at the end, I had little problem with our coaching. They had a great gameplan defensively and the special teams were solid minus the late PAT snap.

What killed Furman was offensive execution against a very good Elon defense. The Paladins overthrew open receivers, fumbled inside the 10 and got themselves in too many 3 and long situations.

The playcalling was solid and should have led to more points. I am very excited about our young defense though!!!

Agreed. Elons offense was made one dimensional, and but for one long pass in the fourth quarter, played exactly into the hands of what Furman wanted to do. Elon couldn't run the ball and was forced to throw 3 yard hitch routes and flares. They racked up yards, but a lot of those drives stalled around the 50.

Offense was fine. From my seat, Elon gets a lot of pressure in the backfield and Sorrells was harried most of the afternoon. The times he did set his feet and throw we got nice gains.

Look, our coaches had our team in a position to win the football game. Sometimes things don't fall right. A lot of calls, I felt, did not go our way. But that's football. An Elon player fumbles the ball directly to his team mate for a 7 yard gain and first down. Furman fumbles the ball on the five directly to the opposing defense. It happens.

I am pretty confident that Furman is better than I thought they were the first four games of the season. I think the Paladins will have a lot to say about who makes the playoffs.

Death Dealer
October 4th, 2009, 08:44 AM

I think I said the D was lights out today. Best I've seen in forever. And Special Teams pulled our butts out of the fire with some great play on several occasions. That punter is something special.

And you are correct about the execution issue, but it shouldn't be put on the Offense as a whole. Those guys played very hard against a great defense. It was all on JS and the coaches. Repeated attempts to run the option with a QB that couldn't out run my sister, and refuses to keep the ball and take a hard hit. How many times is he gonna take a dive three yards before the defender gets to him? And running the play action without an established running game. Hint: it only works if they actually think you are going to run it effectively.

Yes, the DC had a great plan, but the OC had to call a perfect game to win it, and he didn't. And the absolute refusal to try anything else (maybe the superfast new QB) even for a few plays, just to see if it will spark something.

Remember, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results each time. By that definition, BL and Daddy Sorrells are wack jobs!!!!xeekxxoopsx

CID1990
October 4th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Exactly how I would rank them. Possibly interchange Furman and El Cid, maybe? (but you could also put the cid in second, app in 3rd, elon first, so on and so forth) but looks about how I think it will go down.....November 14th, App at Elon will be big on these predictions tho....

The rankings by that time will probably have ironed out by then. Elon-El Cid is this weekend and will firm up what things are going to look like.

Saint3333
October 4th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Why all the ASU to win predictions? This team has as much talent as any ASU in the last 5 years, but is also the most inconsistent team. The defense plays every other serious and offensive play calling is way more conversative despite the weapons available.

I can't figure this ASU team out. They have a long way to progress before I'd predict them to win it all. Right now Elon is in the driver seat with the way the schedule plays out.

Death Dealer
October 4th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Why all the ASU to win predictions? This team has as much talent as any ASU in the last 5 years, but is also the most inconsistent team. The defense plays every other serious and offensive play calling is way more conversative despite the weapons available.

I can't figure this ASU team out. They have a long way to progress before I'd predict them to win it all. Right now Elon is in the driver seat with the way the schedule plays out.

Agreed. Elon has to stumble before anyone else has a serious shot. Of course, historically........xwhistlex

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 4th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I'm not really counting out anybody out but Wofford isn't playing like a good football team as of now and GSU hasn't played like a good football team as of now

There's always the chance that GSU (can't hurt to hope) will start to gel on offense and we will be in the hunt. We were certainly shaky early season in 2007 and 2008 and we were pretty much ready to play with the best of the SoCon both years. We aren't there as of now but the offense is starting to solidify.

We have two weeks to get our offensive sh^t together for App. State. If we beat Appy in Boone then we will be in the hunt.

PaladinNation
October 4th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Concerning re-looking @ the SoCon…

Elon makes it's own path now, they're in the drivers seat… personally I hope they win out, get a lock on a seed and Furman gets another shot at them in the playoffs this season… Griffin has some payback for Mr. Hudgins…

APP may win the SoCon but they have to play at Elon and at FURMAN.

APP has had Furman's number of late… the good news is a bunch of players now playing at Furman will not play in awe or fear of the mystic powers of the ROCK… beacuse they're rookies. Furman's young defense is growing up… what's becoming obvious is they're ability to play physical. For the second week in a row Furman's D put some hurt. Sadly this week the hits that caused fumbles rolled to the same team.

phoenix3
October 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM
FWIW, I was at the game yesterday & from what I saw Elon and Furman were a lot alike. D rising to the occasion and the O sputtering. Individual calls aside, (on which we'll have to agree to disagree), I agree with Dinman and dinfan, the play calling especially on defense was exactly what was needed. Only the overall execution on offense, (for both teams), was lacking. I thought the gameplan for Furman was very good. The clock fell in our favor.

I've always liked Furman, the school and football. Outside competing with Elon I wish the Paladins all the best.

Dinman31
October 4th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I think I said the D was lights out today. Best I've seen in forever. And Special Teams pulled our butts out of the fire with some great play on several occasions. That punter is something special.

And you are correct about the execution issue, but it shouldn't be put on the Offense as a whole. Those guys played very hard against a great defense. It was all on JS and the coaches. Repeated attempts to run the option with a QB that couldn't out run my sister, and refuses to keep the ball and take a hard hit. How many times is he gonna take a dive three yards before the defender gets to him? And running the play action without an established running game. Hint: it only works if they actually think you are going to run it effectively.

Yes, the DC had a great plan, but the OC had to call a perfect game to win it, and he didn't. And the absolute refusal to try anything else (maybe the superfast new QB) even for a few plays, just to see if it will spark something.

Remember, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results each time. By that definition, BL and Daddy Sorrells are wack jobs!!!!xeekxxoopsx

We picked up the majority of our rushing yards on a couple of those option plays and the play action passes weren't the plays that got us in trouble so complaining about those doesn't make a lot of sense. Sure, we all know Sorrells isn't fast but giving the option look makes the defense prepare for something else. Also, we are only running it 4-6 times a game, not 10-12 times.

PhoenixMan
October 4th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Elon's play calling was suspect, a little too conservative. Maybe it was just that type of game. I just think with a weapon like Hudgins you throw it down the field more, particularly when you go into half-time with just 3 points on the board. But, it was a heck of a game and we'll take a win and be happy. Both Furman and Elon have very good teams....throw in Appy and a much improved Citadel, and it's a scary conference week in and week out. By the way, the replay showed clearly that Hudgins was in for a TD on the play where he stretched out for the end zone. Of course, he got it in on the next play.

Saint3333
October 4th, 2009, 12:13 PM
It seems that Lembo is typically more conservative in the bigger games.

Death Dealer
October 4th, 2009, 12:55 PM
We picked up the majority of our rushing yards on a couple of those option plays and the play action passes weren't the plays that got us in trouble so complaining about those doesn't make a lot of sense. Sure, we all know Sorrells isn't fast but giving the option look makes the defense prepare for something else. Also, we are only running it 4-6 times a game, not 10-12 times.

They didn't get us in trouble, but they sure didn't get us much of anything most of the times either. JS was off, no doubt. So if your QB isn't executing well, and you go to the locker room at the half with no points on the board, do you not make adjustments and try something new when you come back out? If you are Furman this past Satruday, no. We are a great team, we should have won that game on Saturday. We lost it. So be it. The rest of you guys better watch out.

Elon. Best of luck for the rest of the season. I hope we see you in the playoffs.

Reign of Terrier
October 4th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Elon. Best of luck for the rest of the season. I hope we see you in the playoffs.

provided you make it:D

Wofford will spoil your playoff hopes!!!!!

ASU_Fanatic
October 4th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Looks good to me.

Native
October 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I think the SoCon is a little better than most of us would believe right now....You guys without injury would be very competitive.

But I saw parts of S. Ill., the Dakota game, UC Davis, JMU, and Villi/Bill and Mary among others! I think there are several teams that do not want to play in our league!

But the injury excuse is true for probably half the ranked teams in the country. What does it really mean?

Be delighted to play in the SoCon, but BSC is tough enough already!

whoanellie
October 4th, 2009, 01:33 PM
conservative? i call it smart to have Riddell not trying to throw it into the teeth of Furman's bend don't break defense.... turnover off TE's hands on goal line initially hurt but the last 2 weeks We have overcome some incredible field position on GSU and FU's punting. some of those stalled drives We were still able get out from our own endzone shadow. our punting game is not like it was last year Brandon Lane was a first team All American and that's hard to replace.
I guess We will have to dance with the girl who brought us to the dance...
next 3 to 4 weeks will separate the contenders from the spoilers. I don't see major moves in the polls. As an Elon fan I'm glad We have GSU & FU in the rear window. 'da Citadel is always tough.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2009, 03:15 PM
conservative? i call it smart to have Riddell not trying to throw it into the teeth of Furman's bend don't break defense.... turnover off TE's hands on goal line initially hurt but the last 2 weeks We have overcome some incredible field position on GSU and FU's punting. some of those stalled drives We were still able get out from our own endzone shadow. our punting game is not like it was last year Brandon Lane was a first team All American and that's hard to replace.
next 3 to 4 weeks will separate the contenders from the spoilers. I don't see major moves in the polls. As an Elon fan I'm glad We have GSU & FU in the rear window. 'da Citadel is always tough.

You make a good point. Elon had a lot of yards of offense, but I would wager a good chunk of yardage was just getting them out to the 50 yard line. Furman's punter, Trent Hawk, had a whale of a game.

I was very impressed with Riddle's decision making. He does a good job of looking off options, staying cool, and finding the open man. I was also impressed with Furman's defensive coverage downfield. Elon had one deep pass to Hudgins (which I feared was coming all game long) and it was a real punch in the gut.

gophoenix
October 4th, 2009, 08:29 PM

I think you're right. But another thought I have is, 3 different offensive coordinators in 3 seasons may be catching up to us.

I think Sorrells looked fine too. He's very poised in the pocket and uses the clock well from what I can tell. I was impressed by Furman's punter. He just booted the ball deep and just where it needed to go. And Furman's D was on the nose to prevent Camp, Jeffcoat and Hudgins from getting anything long.

It makes me incredibly nervous as an Elon fan that we can put 400-500 yards of offense into game and come out with as few points as we have against Furman, Wake and GSU. It's not taking away from those defensive efforts, maybe those opposing D's just step it up when it is needed. But, it just seems like we can march the ball well, and then just stall out.... it's going to burn us eventually if it doesn't change.

seantaylor
October 4th, 2009, 09:18 PM
The Socon is very weak. There is not one elite team. This race is wide open.

gophoenix
October 4th, 2009, 09:25 PM

Define elite? Define Weak? The middle and the bottom of the SoCon is stronger than it has been since the 80s.

PhoenixMan
October 4th, 2009, 09:55 PM

It was conservative....too much so. All that offense, and so few points. If things handn'[t worked out just right we lose that game with nothing but a field goal on the board. Then you'd be agreeing with me....too conservative.

PhoenixMan
October 4th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I think you're right. But another thought I have is, 3 different offensive coordinators in 3 seasons may be catching up to us.

I think Sorrells looked fine too. He's very poised in the pocket and uses the clock well from what I can tell. I was impressed by Furman's punter. He just booted the ball deep and just where it needed to go. And Furman's D was on the nose to prevent Camp, Jeffcoat and Hudgins from getting anything long.

It makes me incredibly nervous as an Elon fan that we can put 400-500 yards of offense into game and come out with as few points as we have against Furman, Wake and GSU. It's not taking away from those defensive efforts, maybe those opposing D's just step it up when it is needed. But, it just seems like we can march the ball well, and then just stall out.... it's going to burn us eventually if it doesn't change.

Just to clarify my post about Elon's play calling and inability to score. I didn't mention that Furman's D was excellent all day, as was their game plan. That combined with a very good leader at QB makes them playoff worthy team (at this point)

SideLine Shooter
October 4th, 2009, 10:12 PM

It is more wide open than most people are willing to accept.

You are exactly right!

gophoenix
October 5th, 2009, 05:41 AM
It is more wide open than most people are willing to accept.

You are exactly right!

The race is wide open, the conference isn't weak? Do you want it back like it was in the 90s where there are 3 top 15 teams and 6 bottom 30 teams?

Eaglesrus
October 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM
The race is wide open, the conference isn't weak? Do you want it back like it was in the 90s where there are 3 top 15 teams and 6 bottom 30 teams?

That works for me, as long as GSU is one of the "3 top 15 teams". :) Now, not trying to start a dust-up here, just trying to lighten it up a little.

GaSouthern
October 5th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I really hope / expect GSU to beat citadel and Chatty and I think the Furman game at home will be a swing game.

App is going to crush us at their place in AE's last game against GSU.

appirishmen
October 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM
right now Elon is in the drivers seat. App has the talent to beat Elon and win the conference, but as the past 4 games have showed us....the d likes to sleep in somedays. we will score against Elon, we just have to stop them one more time then they stop us. i say. top 2 are btw app/elon with FU/cit in 3rd....the rest...well who cares...haha.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Almost always.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM
App
Elon (chokes vs app state to win the title)
GSU*
Furman*
Samford*
El Cid*
Chatty*
Woffordxbawlingx
Western

*interchangeable

:D

CamelCityAppFan
October 5th, 2009, 02:30 PM
right now Elon is in the drivers seat. App has the talent to beat Elon and win the conference, but as the past 4 games have showed us....the d likes to sleep in somedays. we will score against Elon, we just have to stop them one more time then they stop us. i say. top 2 are btw app/elon with FU/cit in 3rd....the rest...well who cares...haha.

I would respectfully xpeacex disagree with you on that first statement. I don't think Elon is anymore in the driver's seat than App is right now. Still real early in the conference season.

Both teams can control their destiny by winning the games on their schedule, leading up to the Nov 14 showdown. The team that loses prior to that game relinquishes control of getting the SoCon crown. The team that wins on the 14th (provided no other loses until then) wins it.

I agree that ASU is struggling with it's identity right now (especially on D)-- this is a good week for the annual cupcake. Hopefully the D will use this week as a confidences builder.

longtimemocfan
October 5th, 2009, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Death Dealer;1425504]Elon
App*
Furman*
El Cid*
Samford
Chatty
GSU
Wofford
Western

We will know a lot more after this weekends game. If we continue to get better like we have from each game to the next, we could cause a lot of teams some problems.

CID1990
October 5th, 2009, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=Death Dealer;1425504]Elon
App*
Furman*
El Cid*
Samford
Chatty
GSU
Wofford
Western

We will know a lot more after this weekends game. If we continue to get better like we have from each game to the next, we could cause a lot of teams some problems.

We historically lose to UTC in their place when we are having good seasons. In 1990 when we beat USC, Chatty beat us.

Hopefully we'll put it on you this year, but who knows? Nobody has settled into any kind of consistency yet.

longtimemocfan
October 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Very true

GATA
October 5th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Here's how it will shake down:

1. App State
2. Elon
3. Furman
4. Georgia Southern
5. Samford
6. Chattanooga
7. Wofford
8. The Citadel
9. Western Carolina

...you'll notice I didn't do any of that "interchangeable" bull****.

It's clear that Elon and App State are the only 2 playoff contenders in this conference.

whoanellie
October 5th, 2009, 08:08 PM
not so fast Furman / Ga Southern winner stays in the hunt,,, We Elon have to bring it every week,,, I see no push overs... Wofford and WCU are both away games... but I like what I see so far...We do have an extra gear on offense.

chattanoogamocs
October 5th, 2009, 08:45 PM
We historically lose to UTC in their place when we are having good seasons. In 1990 when we beat USC, Chatty beat us.

Hopefully we'll put it on you this year, but who knows? Nobody has settled into any kind of consistency yet.

The Mocs and Bulldogs always seem to play close....since 1995, 10 of the games have been settled by a TD or less...7 of those games were decide by 3 points or less (including 2 of the last 3 years).