PDA

View Full Version : EWU's Taiwan Jones: The Real Deal

Screamin_Eagle174
October 3rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
After 5 games at RB in his collegiate career, Jones has 577 yards on 53 attempts for an average of 10.9 yards a carry. He's also scored 9 TDs, his latest a 96-yarder to start the second half against ISU tonight, which also set a new school record.

Granted EWU hasn't played any great teams yet other than BCS Cal, but Jones' natural athletic ability, quick feet, and blinding speed make him a dangerous threat for any defense to cover. I wouldn't be surprised to see him added to the Walter Payton Watch list when the update comes out soon.

http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/Action_Photos/09fbwaJonesTaiwan0311.jpg?max_width=

JALMOND
October 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Based on who EWU has played so far, Jones should have those numbers. I still have a wait and see approach as to how good he is.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 3rd, 2009, 09:28 PM
Based on who EWU has played so far, Jones should have those numbers. I still have a wait and see approach as to how good he is.

I disagree. An average back against the teams we've played would only put up 6/7 yards per carry, not 11. I'm basing that on my reasoning that an average back against average competition should be putting up 3-4 yards per carry.

JALMOND
October 3rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
I disagree. An average back against the teams we've played would only put up 6/7 yards per carry, not 11. I'm basing that on my reasoning that an average back against average competition should be putting up 3-4 yards per carry.

You've been disagreeing with me on everything regarding Taipai Jones all year. Why should this be any different?:D

I did say that Jones should still have a great game against Idaho State which he did. It's fine to be a fan of him. I want to see him against actual competition, as he did not do well against a team like Cal.

I do wonder how he played so well against Sac State, the same Hornet team I watched today. Because of that, I'll say I've gone from being bored to "somewhat interested". Be happy, its a step up.

I wouldn't say he's the real deal yet.

uofmman1122
October 3rd, 2009, 09:41 PM
You play the three best defenses in the conference the next three weeks, so we'll see how he stacks against them.

eagle1
October 4th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I agree that the next three games will tell just how good he really is but I have watched a lot of big sky conference football games and seen many solid runningbacks and I am very comfortable saying that this kid is the real deal. He will more than prove that over the next 3 weeks. Mark it downxthumbsupx

kalm
October 4th, 2009, 02:34 PM
You can't win this one Screamin'. Mason put 138 against Weber and the Cats gained 210 on the ground so I'm sure Jalmond already expects that Taipei will have another big game next week. ;)

What's amazing about Jones is his speed. On his first td yesterday he bounced it outside twice losing all momentum and then from a virtual stop ran right around three defenders who all had an angle on him. He's done that several times this year.

Teams will have to start game planning for him which as I've said before will only help the passing game. And we really haven't utilized him yet on reverses and screens so it will be interesting to see how Baldwin gets him involved when defenses make him the focal point.

Also consider that he did that yesterday while Boyce caught 10 balls for 150.

EWashEagle
October 4th, 2009, 03:15 PM
You only have to watch Jones run a couple of times to realize how fast he is. I couldnt believe it when he chased down the Cal defensive player who was gonna score after recovering a fumble. The Cal fan behind me said, "My god, that kid is so fast, what is he doing playing Division2?". Of course I educated him about D1 FCS and how Jones was a non-qualifier. Cal also ran a story how Jones was second to Javid Best in the California 100meters his high school senior year.

He has a different speed than everyone else out there, plan and simple. The one where he bounced outside was awesome. It will be interesting this week against Weber. I think EWU has not opened up the playbook yet, hopefully saving some good stuff for our next two games.

kalm
October 4th, 2009, 03:20 PM
You only have to watch Jones run a couple of times to realize how fast he is. I couldnt believe it when he chased down the Cal defensive player who was gonna score after recovering a fumble. The Cal fan behind me said, "My god, that kid is so fast, what is he doing playing Division2?". Of course I educated him about D1 FCS and how Jones was a non-qualifier. Cal also ran a story how Jones was second to Javid Best in the California 100meters his high school senior year.

He has a different speed than everyone else out there, plan and simple. The one where he bounced outside was awesome. It will be interesting this week against Weber. I think EWU has not opened up the playbook yet, hopefully saving some good stuff for our next two games.

No kidding, we've thrown very few deep balls and tried to stretch a defense so far this season.

Silenoz
October 4th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I'm excited to see the kid play in a couple weeks. Plus the EWU-UM game is always exciting as it is, so I'm pretty psyched!

Screamin_Eagle174
October 5th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I'm excited to see the kid play in a couple weeks. Plus the EWU-UM game is always exciting as it is, so I'm pretty psyched!

I'll be there too! xnodx

Shellin
October 5th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Should be a great game between EWU and Weber on Saturday, it will be interesting to see what Eastern (and Taiwan) look like against an evenly matched opponent, I've watched some of EWU's games so far and there is no doubt that he has some serious wheels.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 5th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Should be a great game between EWU and Weber on Saturday, it will be interesting to see what Eastern (and Taiwan) look like against an evenly matched opponent, I've watched some of EWU's games so far and there is no doubt that he has some serious wheels.

Most definitely, and it'll also be a good test for our defense to see where they stack up as they haven't seen a high caliber FCS offense yet. I was planning on going to this game, but my old man turns 50 this weekend so I'll be back home.

Grizaholic17
October 5th, 2009, 05:35 PM

I have to take the dumb PCAT in the morning, hope to catch the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters...that is if the test stays to 5 hours like predicted