PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento State @ Portland State

JALMOND
October 3rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Kickoff scheduled for 1 pm PDT at PGE Park in Portland, between the two urban campuses in a mostly rural Big Sky Conference. Kind of a rivalry feel to the game as both cities (Sacramento and Portland) enjoy competition in the PCL and the NBA. The Hornets won last year in Sacramento to end an eight game losing streak to the Vikings. The Hornet offense will work on holding on to the football as when they do that, they are extremely effective (as in the second half last week against EWU). The Vikings offense, led by QB Drew Hubel, have shown an ability to move the ball, yet have not been able to convert within the 20 yard line. Weather is to have showers in the area and temps near 60.

Portland radio: www.kpdq-am.com

No TV in the Portland area.

JALMOND
October 3rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
Final

Sacramento State 31
Portland State 14

We had no emotion on both sides of the ball starting in pregame. The Hornets came in and totally shut us down. Very sick game to watch if you are a Viking fan. The Hornet offense continued their good play from the second half of the EWU game and put a whole game effort in today. The Hornet defense did a great job keeping the Viking offense in check most of the game. The Vikings did manage a late touchdown to provide some semblance of an offense in the game. Great win for the Hornets and the Vikings clearly need some help.

SactoHornetFan
October 3rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Very much needed win for the Hornets today. BTW, for those who don't know, that is our first win in Portland since 1985...a very long time coming. Should have had it two years ago though when we collapsed in the last 3 mins.

Our defense was much improved this week...especially with a potent throwing offense the Viks employ. And we did it without our top receiver (Reed, out with a shoulder injury) and our top running back Wilkens. Dailey looked really good today as did the frosh McCowan.

Next up for Sac State is Idaho State at home. Looking for revenge/payback after last year...

GOKATS
October 3rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
Great win for the Hornets!! Congrats!!

TboneCat
October 3rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Jalmond, could this be a hang over from the WSU game? or is Sac State better than we thought?

JALMOND
October 3rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
Jalmond, could this be a hang over from the WSU game? or is Sac State better than we thought?

I don't really know. It seemed like from the start that we thought we could just show up and get the win. We were absolutely dead even in pregame. I was thinking at the time that we needed to get fired up otherwise it was going to be a long game. And so it was.

The Hornets just kept marching down the field pretty much at will. We had no answer for them at all. No fire, no emotion, nothing to indicate that we really wanted to be there. The Hornets totally outplayed us.

I don't really know if the Hornets are better than advertised because they do have a good team. Lost in their game last week was that their offense played EWU pretty much toe to toe in the second half, so their offense can play. Their defense came up big today.

SactoHornetFan
October 3rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
Our defense finally showed up today...that was the difference. Our LB's are still a little raw...we are still relying too much on our secondary to make tackles. Our DL had their best day yet with 4 sacks..3 of which went to Christian Clark.

JALMOND
October 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
Our defense finally showed up today...that was the difference. Our LB's are still a little raw...we are still relying too much on our secondary to make tackles. Our DL had their best day yet with 4 sacks..3 of which went to Christian Clark.

Your guys had a great all around defensive effort today. You should be fine the rest of the year, in my opinion.

SactoHornetFan
October 3rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
Your guys had a great all around defensive effort today. You should be fine the rest of the year, in my opinion.

It'll still be a struggle to get to 6-5 though...

JALMOND
October 3rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
It'll still be a struggle to get to 6-5 though...

You may need an upset or two, but if you play like you did today, you should at least be close enough to have a chance at the end. I was really high on the Hornets at the beginning of the year, now I'm back feeling pretty good about them. Don't stumble next week against Idaho State and you should have the confidence necessary to head into the meat of the schedule. Good luck.xthumbsupx

mtgrizzly
October 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
Jalmond do you thik this might be the end for Glanville?

JALMOND
October 3rd, 2009, 10:39 PM
Jalmond do you thik this might be the end for Glanville?

No. If it is, it would be a mistake. We have a lot of kids playing right now who are true freshmen, not just redshirt freshmen but true freshmen. Although, I have to say, most Glanville teams pride themselves on emotion and today, we had no emotion at all, and I would put that on Glanville. Maybe after playing both Montana and Weber State, we thought things were going to be easy, I don't know.

I don't want to use the freshmen excuse here. What has happened so far is expected and today Sac State just beat us. We are young and we will get better, and to abandon Glanville would be a mistake in my opinion. He is not the problem.

Whether Glanville gets frustrated and upset and down on himself this year, though, may be another issue...

Green Cookie Monster
October 4th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I like Glanville. Like the Hornets they are playing many freshmen. PSU was w/o their starting FB. Hornet's held PSU to -2yds. rushing net. That was a big accomplishment, as PSU has always killed us with that damn shuffle pass and delayed draw.

Hope the fans haven't given up, but only 5,000 showed up on what looked like an awesome fall football day.

I've been on the sour end of many SAC-PSU games, so this was nice.

EdubAlum
October 4th, 2009, 09:00 AM
even if PSU loses every game, Granville's job is safe. It's good PR for Portland State to have a former NFL coach as their coach