PDA

View Full Version : A great game this weekend that nobody seems to be talking about. SDSU @ Cal Poly

slostang
October 3rd, 2009, 11:17 AM
Here is a match up between two top 25 teams that have a recent history of great physical games. The have played every year for the last 5 years and the serries stands at 3-2. South Dakota State is ranked 15/16th coming into SLO and Cal Poly is ranked 17/19th.

South Dakota State has one of the top rushing defense and Cal Poly triple option can rack up the yards. Should be fun to watch that match up. SDSU's O-line is huge and average about 6'5" 310 (one tackle is 6'8" 320) and Cal Poly's D-line averages 6'2.5" 255. Can Poly's quick D-line that racked up 10 sacks in Brookings last year hold up against the run and the huge Jacks O-line?

I think it will be a great game. What does everyone else think?

RabidRabbit
October 3rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
So sad SLO! You're right that virtually no one is discussing this FABULOUS match-up.

Jacks D (significantly better than last year) vs questionable Poly O.

Gringer1
October 3rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
SDSU for the win.

RabidRabbit
October 3rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
SDSU was spanked at Brookings last year by a very talented Poly offensive machine. Many things have changed since last year.

SDSU D returns its TOP 8 TACKLERS this season. EveryBODY IS HEALTHY xeekx The Jacks knew that needed to be a much tougher D unit, so they trained and focused to be outstanding on D. Given that the TOP D UNIT has NOT GIVEN UP A TD, and only one team has been in the RED Zone ONCE, the Jacks D is stifling this year.

Is that due to the "soft" schedule of the Jacks, or is that the D is REALLY good? Jacks D is solid, especially vs the run.

On Offense, Jacks has been able to do EXACTLY the type of game plan they want. 50/50 on run vs pass. Multiple explosive backs, and deep receiving corp. Topped off by TWO 50+ yd FG kickers and solid punter.

Cal Poly lost a ton of their leadership TALENT on the O side, a new coach and haven't figured out their performance with the new leadership. But Poly is ALWAYS TOUGH, and especially at home.

Looking forward to tonights game!

ASU_Fanatic
October 3rd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Hmm that does sound like a good game.

slostang
October 3rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
So sad SLO! You're right that virtually no one is discussing this FABULOUS match-up.

Jacks D (significantly better than last year) vs questionable Poly O.

Questionable playing FBS schools, not FCS schools. They went for 476 yards and 38 points against their only FCS school they have faced this year. They have rushed for over 200 yards against two FBS schools. We shall see just how good the Jacks D is and how questionable the Cal Poly O is today.

RabidRabbit
October 3rd, 2009, 05:00 PM
Questionable playing FBS schools, not FCS schools. They went for 476 yards and 38 points against their only FCS school they have faced this year. They have rushed for over 200 yards against two FBS schools. We shall see just how good the Jacks D is and how questionable the Cal Poly O is today.

Absolutely agree. IMHO this game will be a tight defensive game that can go either way, or Jacks go like they have the first three games, breaking loose in the third quarter, and winning by 2 TD's or more. The hype here reminds me of the GSU game or last year's YSU games. xtwocentsx

gbhmt
October 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Is there going to be a feed online somewhere?

RowdyRabbit
October 3rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Yep, hard to judge this one.....Cal Poly spanked SDSU in Brookings last year.....but thank goodness Daly, Noble and Barden are gone. (Although their replacements don't seem to be much of a drop off.)

If I remember correctly, the mustangs D really confused the Jackrabbit o-line and ended up with a bunch of sacks on Berry last year. But, I believe Cal Poly plays a more traditional 4-3 D this year as opposed that that crazy, everyone moving everywhere scare me half to death D, so hopefully the Jacks can protect Crawford pretty well.

The 2 games that Cal Poly has played in Brookings that I've been to I remember being extremely nervous on every play, as that triple option offense is really scary to try to defend, and the 'rabbits didn't do well against it last year.

I think on the SDSU fan board I predicted a 24-21 SDSU win, I'll stick with that.

RabidRabbit
October 3rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Is there going to be a feed online somewhere?

Yes, but it'll cost you a movie ticket price.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=906183&DB_OEM_ID=15000

This may be a good month to subscribe for the $9.95. Jacks have Cal Poly, Mo State, NDSU, UNI, Youngstown.

This is a key game for both Cal Poly and SDSU. With the two FBS losses, Poly is really backed into a corner, and almost must win out, including their 4 GWFC game plus SDSU, MT, and Weber St. xeekx

If SDSU loses, REALLY puts them into needing to go through the MoValley with no more than one loss. They could do that, however, a win just about sets Jacks up for 8-3 record AT WORST. Which with OOC wins over Ga Southern and Poly should match up as good OOC wins for any school without an FBS win. BTW, Jacks are still to play u MN in St. Paul in Nov.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Rabbits hold and have the ball on their 5.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
Rabbits in for first score. 7-0.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
7-7 on a poly score.

JackTwice
October 3rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
Starting QB goes down in a "Tom Brady" like injury. RS Frosh QB now in the game for the Jacks.

JackTwice
October 3rd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Jacks take back the lead on a TD run. 14-7 8min left in half

joecooll6
October 3rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
Any way to watch/listen for free?

JackTwice
October 3rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
someone said gopoly.com is allowing free audio

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
14-14 with about :45 left in the half.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
Poly has the ball on their 17 yard line :20 left.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 09:18 PM
At the half 14-14.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
At the half:
Poly 163 total yards
SDSU 190 total yards

ValleyChamp
October 3rd, 2009, 09:43 PM
good game. Is the Jack's QB injury serious, or does nobody know anything yet?

JackTwice
October 3rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
left the field on crutches. out for game. That's what we know as of now.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
Not on the sidelines either.

Rabbit3467
October 3rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
JackTwice check your PMs

JackTwice
October 3rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
Poly misses 38 yd fg. 14 a piece closing in on final minute of 3rd qtr

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:22 PM
14-14 nine minutes left in the 4th quarter.

SumItUp
October 3rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
This is a great game. I am considering going to watch the Jackrabbits play Missouri State next week. Any update on the QB?

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:27 PM
He is on the sidelines in sweats. Nothing definitive yet, but that isn't a good sign.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:31 PM
Jacks take a tough call on the punt return and it gives the 'stangs more free yardage. 1st and ten at their 33

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Stangs 3rd and 3 at their 40

ValleyChamp
October 3rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
still tied?

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Long run for Poly. down to the Jacks 39.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
still 14-14 under 4 minutes

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:34 PM
Poly 3rd and 7 from the Jacks 37

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:35 PM
4th and 4ish
going for it.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:35 PM
2:24 left Poly takes a time out.

JackTwice
October 3rd, 2009, 10:36 PM
4th and 4 for Poly going for it at the SDSU 44. 2:45 remaining.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Punt team coming on the field.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Jacks at their own 8 yd line.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
touchdown for poly after knocking down O'brien in the endzone.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
Crap. 2:09 second defensive touchdown of the night for Poly.

joecooll6
October 3rd, 2009, 10:39 PM
Ouch. That's a bummer.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:39 PM
We'll see what O'Brien is made of now.

joecooll6
October 3rd, 2009, 10:40 PM
Any word on the seriousness of the QB injury? I know that was already asked, just wondering if youve heard anything new.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Nothing on Crawford.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Jacks have the ball at mid field 1:37 two time outs.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:42 PM
intercepted. G. O.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:42 PM
Poly has the ball and a 21-14 lead with 1:30 left.

joecooll6
October 3rd, 2009, 10:43 PM
Shoot. Needed that one to get 3 MVFC teams IMO. Two defensive TDs. That's too bad.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:43 PM
1:21 left Jacks time out.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:45 PM
yuck. Can't let their defense have two scores. wow. Offense without Crawford is going to need some work. I hope it is nothing serious.

gameday
October 3rd, 2009, 10:46 PM
Poly 21-14 is your game. Going to be a long flight home.

JackTwice
October 3rd, 2009, 10:46 PM
Great game Poly. The defense was much tougher than I had expected. I hope this series isn't over. There have been some great games in there.

Kemo
October 3rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
It's always tough to loss your starting QB in the first half (and replacing him with an RS Freshman) and still win against a good team, and tonight was no exception. Two defensive TD's by Poly was the deciding factor in this one, but I think the Jacks defense erased any doubts on whether or not they are one of the top defenses in the FCS.

slostang
October 4th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Great game Poly. The defense was much tougher than I had expected. I hope this series isn't over. There have been some great games in there.

I truely hope we continue to see the Jacks on the schedule. I think the SDSU program and the fans are both 1rst rate and the games with the Mustangs are always tough hard fought games.

slostang
October 4th, 2009, 12:06 AM
It's always tough to loss your starting QB in the first half (and replacing him with an RS Freshman) and still win against a good team, and tonight was no exception. Two defensive TD's by Poly was the deciding factor in this one, but I think the Jacks defense erased any doubts on whether or not they are one of the top defenses in the FCS.

Cal Poly was without their top RB, Jon Hall. Cal Poly also lost their #1 WR, Dominique Johnson in the first half and 2 CB in the second half so both teams were suffering from the injury bug. Tough, physical game.

I agree the Jacks have a great defense, but you also have to hand it to Cal Poly's defense which held the Jacks to less yards.

ThreadStopper
October 4th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I sure hope your QB is going to be OK.* Tough game!* That Jacks defensive line was something else.* Poly had no choice than to run around them or throw over them.* Those traveling Jack Rabbits fans were a great group too!* Let' keep this game on future schedules.

01pantherfan
October 4th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Any word how bad the Jacks QB got hurt ?

Kemo
October 4th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Cal Poly was without their top RB, Jon Hall. Cal Poly also lost their #1 WR, Dominique Johnson in the first half and 2 CB in the second half so both teams were suffering from the injury bug. Tough, physical game.

I agree the Jacks have a great defense, but you also have to hand it to Cal Poly's defense which held the Jacks to less yards.

I am definitely not taking anything away from Cal Poly's D, as they did exactly what they needed to do to win this game. However, I will say that losing your starting QB in general is more devastating for most offenses than any other position, as evident by how Jacks offensive game plan changed (from mostly under center to shotgun/wildcat) once Crawford went down.

I do want to say that our RS Freshman QB that came in is an incredibly gifted QB, but coming into that situation with no real game experience against a team as good as Cal Poly is a tall order, and one that was not fulfilled on this particular day. I am very confident that, if Crawford's injury is as bad as it looked, that O'Brien can step in with and lead this offense effectively with some more work with the first team and some more game experience.

Kemo
October 4th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Any word how bad the Jacks QB got hurt ?

Think Tom Brady last year, as the play was almost identical. I hope Crawford will be back to start next game, but I just know better. I figure the best Jacks fans can hope for is a sprained knee, in which he'll miss at least a few weeks, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least to hear he torn ligaments in his knee.

Disclosure: I am not a doctor xoopsx, just an observant football fan

01pantherfan
October 4th, 2009, 02:35 AM
That sucks hope he will be ok

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Absolutely agree. IMHO this game will be a tight defensive game that can go either way, or Jacks go like they have the first three games, breaking loose in the third quarter, and winning by 2 TD's or more. The hype here reminds me of the GSU game or last year's YSU games. xtwocentsx

Had this game pretty well pegged. It was a defensive struggle, and Jacks ended up on the short end of that stick. Losing Crawford made a HUGE difference for the Jacks O. Tom O'Brien, RsFr, came in and played OK, but not super. Much of that is due to not getting the reps with the first unit O. Next week will be different.

Neither O did well against the other team's D. Although SDSU managed to score twice on Poly's D and Poly only scored once (two defensive TDs for Poly) vs SDSU D.

Winning at Poly is tough. And Poly has been a great foe on the field. xbowx Best of luck to Poly in the GWFC and with their Big Sky opponents.

Big Al
October 4th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Sucks to hear about your QB, Jacks fans. Post up any updates. I've been thinking about 10/14 for a few weeks now, so I'd hate to think the game ends up being a dud due to an injury.

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Sucks to hear about your QB, Jacks fans. Post up any updates. I've been thinking about 10/14 for a few weeks now, so I'd hate to think the game ends up being a dud due to an injury.

I hope that Crawford will return. He has been the superb, 5th year senior leader that was the reason he beat T O'Brien & 2 other high quality QB candidates to lead the Jacks after Ryan Berry's run for the Jacks.

If losing a QB is going to occur, it's better to get in a game or 2 prior to Dakota Marker (NDSU) and Hobo Day (UNI) games, so that replacement gets chance to lead the 1st team O in practices and gets a game under Jacks belt (vs Mo St).

Losing at Poly puts the pressure on the Jacks to win the auto-bid. Jacks now need to go 7-1 in the MoValley to make the play-offs. xtwocentsx

slostang
October 4th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Had this game pretty well pegged. It was a defensive struggle, and Jacks ended up on the short end of that stick. Losing Crawford made a HUGE difference for the Jacks O. Tom O'Brien, RsFr, came in and played OK, but not super. Much of that is due to not getting the reps with the first unit O. Next week will be different.

Neither O did well against the other team's D. Although SDSU managed to score twice on Poly's D and Poly only scored once (two defensive TDs for Poly) vs SDSU D.

Winning at Poly is tough. And Poly has been a great foe on the field. xbowx Best of luck to Poly in the GWFC and with their Big Sky opponents.

SDSU is one of my favorite programs in the FCS. The Jacks are one of the most physical teams in the FCS (they are huge) and their fans are 1rst rate. I will be pulling for the Jacks in the Mo Valley. xbowx

As far as both teams O having a tough night, Cal Poly was without four year starter RB Jon Hall and they lost their #1 WR Dominique Johnson in the first half and their leading RB Jono Grayson in the second half. Cal Poly offense rushed for 202 yards against the top rushing defense in the FCS (the Jacks were only giving up 31.3 yards rushing a game coming in).

I also have to give it to Cal Poly's defense which held the Jacks to 14 points (they were averaging 41 points coming in) and the scored as many points as they gave up. They also held the Jacks to 4 of 13 third down conversions and came up big when it counted. Definately a big game for the Mustang defense. xthumbsupx

slostang
October 4th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Jacks now need to go 7-1 in the MoValley to make the play-offs. xtwocentsx

6-2 should get them in with a 8-3 record. Mo Valley is one of the top conferences and a team coming out of there with an 8-3 record more than likely will be in the playoffs.

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2009, 11:11 AM
SDSU is one of my favorite programs in the FCS. The Jacks are one of the most physical teams in the FCS (they are huge) and their fans are 1rst rate. I will be pulling for the Jacks in the Mo Valley. xbowx

As far as both teams O having a tough night, Cal Poly was without four year starter RB Jon Hall and they lost their #1 WR Dominique Johnson in the first half and their leading RB Jono Grayson in the second half. Cal Poly offense rushed for 202 yards against the top rushing defense in the FCS (the Jacks were only giving up 31.3 yards rushing a game coming in).

I also have to give it to Cal Poly's defense which held the Jacks to 14 points (they were averaging 41 points coming in) and the scored as many points as they gave up. They also held the Jacks to 4 of 13 third down conversions and came up big when it counted. Definately a big game for the Mustang defense. xthumbsupx

Hope the bolded issues aren't season enders for the Poly starters. Knocking out Crawford put a real crimp in SDSU O. Mustangs D was the difference in the game.

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2009, 11:14 AM
6-2 should get them in with a 8-3 record. Mo Valley is one of the top conferences and a team coming out of there with an 8-3 record more than likely will be in the playoffs.

Have the U of MN game, anticipating that Jacks won't succeed with beating Gophers in their new Gopher Hole. Hence the need to get a win out of home games with UNI and SIU.

slostang
October 4th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hope the bolded issues aren't season enders for the Poly starters. Knocking out Crawford put a real crimp in SDSU O. Mustangs D was the difference in the game.

Hall has been out since the first game and is suppose to return against Montana. Grayson was a pulled muscle which should not keep him out too long. Johnson was a shoulder and I am not sure how bad it is.

I sure hope Crawford gets back on the field this year.

Houndawg
October 4th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Have the U of MN game, anticipating that Jacks won't succeed with beating Gophers in their new Gopher Hole. Hence the need to get a win out of home games with UNI and SIU.

Getting SIU for the last game means it will likely be a game of who is healthier.

techstate
October 4th, 2009, 01:50 PM
This was an awesome game to watch. You hate to see all the injuries in this tough fought game, but you have to hand it to Cal Poly's defense as they seem to be the mustangs strength this year.

Hopefully everyone is healthy for next week and we can see some more production from cal polys offense.

GO POLY!

Houndawg
October 4th, 2009, 02:39 PM
This was an awesome game to watch. You hate to see all the injuries in this tough fought game, but you have to hand it to Cal Poly's defense as they seem to be the mustangs strength this year.

Hopefully everyone is healthy for next week and we can see some more production from cal polys offense.

GO POLY!

It's not often that your offense gets held to 7 points and you win. Sounds like a helluva game.

igo4uni
October 4th, 2009, 11:13 PM

The real test is when you play UNI.

89rabbit
October 4th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Congrats to Poly. Best of luck with the rest of your season.

89rabbit
October 4th, 2009, 11:47 PM

MRI on Monday.

slostang
October 5th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Congrats to Poly. Best of luck with the rest of your season.

Hard fought game against a great team with awesome fans. Best of luck the rest of the season and in the years to come. Hope we see the Jacks on the schedule often. We have had some great games the last six years.

Kemo
October 5th, 2009, 02:45 AM
The real test is when you play UNI.

Agreed, but I think UNI has one of the better offenses in the country, so it wouldn't really take too much away from the Jacks D if they, say, gave up 3 offensive TD's in that game (especially if they are put in poor position). I just have a feeling that no matter what team ends up on top of that game, it won't be a shootout.

unialum95
October 5th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Agreed, but I think UNI has one of the better offenses in the country, so it wouldn't really take too much away from the Jacks D if they, say, gave up 3 offensive TD's in that game (especially if they are put in poor position). I just have a feeling that no matter what team ends up on top of that game, it won't be a shootout.

I'll be surprised if UNI's defense allows any game to become a shoot out. The offense can score points. We'll find out what our defense is made out of in these next three games. Looking forward to playing in the most hostile environment we've faced in a while at NDSU (a place none of the players or coaches has ever been), homecoming against SIU which are always closer than they should be, and then at SDSU for Hobo days. With a bye week afterward that we will definately need. This stretch will show if UNI is for real this season.