View Full Version : Lafayette @ Yale Game Thread

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 10:09 AM
One hour to go.

Weather seems to be improving in southern CT.

Lafayette: QB, Rob Curley, is still reported as out.

Yale: Two starters reported out including the starting center, thereby weakening an already questionable offensive line.

Both teams rely on their defenses. Lafayette's is proven against two good teams, Liberty and Penn. Yale's has put up spectacular numbers (69 yards rushing - total! - for two games), but the competition (Georgetown and Cornell) is suspect.

On offense Yale will depend heavily on sophomore Patrick Witt, a transfer from Nebraska. I would expect Lafayette to go to the ground game with the backup QB - probably sophomore Ryan O'Neil - in there. In that case they will depend on their four headed tailback group of seniors Maurice White, Tyrell Coon, DeAndre Morrow and sophomore Jerome Rudolph.

Lafayette is 2-1, having beaten Georgetown and Penn, while losing to Liberty.

Yale is 1-1, beating Georgetown and losing to Cornell.

Most are expecting a defensive struggle.

RichH2
October 3rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Good luck today. Answered your post over on Harvard thread. Parking? at LC What were you thinking?

Pard94
October 3rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Curley's starting! Told ya.xnodx

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Curley is starting.

Lafayette's Morrow fumbles the opening kickoff and Yale begins play on the Lafayette 26.

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 11:17 AM
Yale is running thru gaping holes in the Lafayette defense. Score on a 4th and 3 TD pass. The DB slipped on the wet turf.

7-0 Yale.

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
A promising Lafayette drive is stalled by a holding penalty. Yale starts from their own 17.

Curley looks OK so far.

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
7-0 yale at the end of 1.

LC with a 1st on their own 45.

1st play of the 2nd qtr. was a fake fumbe and bomb. Incomplete.

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Lafayette drives from its 3 with some 3rd and long conversions. An 18 play drive kept alive by a Yale roughing the kicker call.

Rodriguez slips and falls while kicking a FG. Good anyway.

Yale 7, Lafayette 3

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Lafayette is dominating time of possession.

Yale has switched QBs. No explanation.

bulldog10jw
October 3rd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Lafayette drives from its 3 with some 3rd and long conversions. An 18 play drive kept alive by a Yale roughing the kicker call.

Rodriguez slips and falls while kicking a FG. Good anyway.

Yale 7, Lafayette 3

The Yale announcers thought it should have been running into the kicker, rather than roughing and a 5 yard penalty instead of 15 and a first down.

What do you think?

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
A one handed catch by Layton moves the ball to the Yale 17.

Next paly another catch by Layton for a TD.

LC 10, Yale 7 with about a minute to go in the half.

bulldog10jw
October 3rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
Damn, Yale's offense is just SO weak.

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 12:25 PM
10-7, Lafayette at the half.

Lafayette seems to be gaining contol of the line of scrimmage. Yale offense has not done much for quite a while.

65 Pard
October 3rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
Curley and Layton are looking like PL standouts....
Need to put 2 good halves together to win this one....So far D improved from first quarter....

bulldog10jw
October 3rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
Yale offense has not done much for quite a while.

They haven't done much for two years.

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Yale had only 100 yds. in total offense in the 1st half.

LC needs to translate this domination into points or there could be trouble.

bulldog10jw
October 3rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
This could get ugly

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 01:01 PM
Yale goes for a 4th and inches. Lafayette holds.

Lafayette drives for a TD. Final play is a WR reverse to Greg Stripe.

LC 17, Yale 7

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 01:04 PM
Another QB switch for Yale. Again no explanation.

bulldog10jw
October 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Another QB switch for Yale. Again no explanation.

It's very foolish. Witt has at least moved the ball some. This is the third series for Hart this year and I think it has now been Three 3 and outs.

bulldog10jw
October 3rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Lafayette is just the far superior team.

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
End of 3: LC 17, Yale 7

LC 3rd and goal on the Yale 4.

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
TD: Curley to Layton.

Lafayette 24, Yale 7

This party's over.

bulldog10jw
October 3rd, 2009, 01:22 PM
This is a bad loss for Yale. As bad as the offense is, the defense did not step up at all.

Franks Tanks
October 3rd, 2009, 01:26 PM
This is a bad loss for Yale. As bad as the offense is, the defense did not step up at all.

Yale has a lot of good players, but I am quite surpised by how poor the Yale offense is. The Pards have a very good D but still.

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 01:36 PM
Agreed. Yale seems to have no answers on either side of the ball. After that gift TD, nothing. I honestly think that Yale is seeing one of the two best teams they will face this year, but...

bulldog10jw
October 3rd, 2009, 01:39 PM
Agreed. Yale seems to have no answers on either side of the ball. After that gift TD, nothing. I honestly think that Yale is seeing one of the two best teams they will face this year, but...

I hope so, but they didn't even look that good against G-Town, despite the final score.

Unless something turns around, it could be a long year for Yale.

I hope Williams is a good recruiter.

bulldog10jw
October 3rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Yale gets a "who cares" TD.

24-14 4 minutes or so left

bulldog10jw
October 3rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Well, it helps their stats, anyway.

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Great throw. Great catch. Yale goes 90 yds. in 18 plays.

Onside kick fails.

bulldog10jw
October 3rd, 2009, 01:48 PM
The Yale D just packed it in there. I was hoping for at least a little pride.

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 01:49 PM
Lafayette OL blows away Yale front. 40 yds. 3 plays. TD

Lafayette 31, Yale 14.

bulldog10jw
October 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
A FG attempt?

bulldog10jw
October 3rd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Congrats to Lafayette. I hope you really are as good as you looked today.

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Yale attempts a FG on a 4th and 20. Wide left.

FINAL: Lafayette 31, Yale 14

ngineer
October 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the posts...It has given me hope that maybe, just maybe, our next three games are at least "winnable"...:o

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the posts...It has given me hope that maybe, just maybe, our next three games are at least "winnable"...:o

It's always up in the air as to whether the winner is that good or the loser is just plain bad. In this case I think it's a little of both. This game was just not that competitive after the first 3 or 4 minutes. It is beginning to look like Lafayette - with Curley, who is really emerging as a star at this level - is very good. Yale, on the other hand, does not appear to have much going for it at the moment.

Ivytalk
October 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
Harvard better not be looking past Lafayette in two weeks, that's for sure.xcoolx

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Two down (Penn and Yale) and four (Harvard, Colgate, Holy Cross and the Squawks) to go. This is beginning to look like a year of retribution.

Ivytalk
October 3rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Two down (Penn and Yale) and four (Harvard, Colgate, Holy Cross and the Squawks) to go. This is beginning to look like a year of retribution.

Not so fast, monsignor!:p Penitence before retribution!

bulldog10jw
October 3rd, 2009, 05:50 PM

You do realize that at least 3 of the 4 you mention are MUCH better than Yale.

And Lehigh might be.

Bogus Megapardus
October 3rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
Congrats to Lafayette. I hope you really are as good as you looked today.

I am deeply concerned about the Lions next week. As the Ivy's Maroon Piņata, the Pards typically dominate Columbia while submitting curiously others of the Ancient Eight - even in good years. The Lions might want this one as much as any in order to reverse that trend.

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 07:07 PM
You do realize that at least 3 of the 4 you mention are MUCH better than Yale.

And Lehigh might be.

You are probably right, but hope springs eternal. Besides, Yale had The Curse on their side, and you see what that got them. Only two of the four are in that exclusive club.

Go...gate
October 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Lafayette looks like a damn good club. The PL is definitely going to be a three-team race.

Bogus Megapardus
October 3rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Lafayette looks like a damn good club. The PL is definitely going to be a three-team race.

Back in the 80s we had a saying - "There's always time to lose." Heard frequently when we were up on Colgate going into the fourth, only to lose in the final minutes. But I'd love to see a three-way nail-biter going into the final week.

HC will destroy Bucknell in the final week but Colgate will be sitting on its hands watching because its regular season will have ended a week earlier. Lafayette will play Lehigh (as always) so that game might be the decisive one. Lehigh would like nothing more than to destroy the Pards' chances even if it means that Colgate advances to the FCS. As much as those brown-panted ninnies despise Colgate, they hate the Pards more.

Pards Rule
October 4th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Back from New Haven and the Yale Bowl. Solid performance by the Pards. FCS rules - where else can someone (me) talk to Tavani at halftime outside the locker room. Those locker rooms are turn of last century and shoebox-sized. Lafayette met mostly outside the locker room and it was great listening to the coaches visit with the players. And Tavani was just leaning against the plastic barrier outside the entire half letting his assistants talk to the players so I had time to chat with him.

carney2
October 4th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Back from New Haven and the Yale Bowl. Solid performance by the Pards. FCS rules - where else can someone (me) talk to Tavani at halftime outside the locker room. Those locker rooms are turn of last century and shoebox-sized. Lafayette met mostly outside the locker room and it was great listening to the coaches visit with the players. And Tavani was just leaning against the plastic barrier outside the entire half letting his assistants talk to the players so I had time to chat with him.

So, what did he say?

Pards Rule
October 4th, 2009, 08:47 PM
That he might very well run a reverse with Stripe as suggested by someone - and he did!!

carney2
October 4th, 2009, 10:17 PM
That he might very well run a reverse with Stripe as suggested by someone - and he did!!

That officially makes you an insider. And to think that I knew you when...

Pards Rule
October 5th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Finally after all these years - cripes this will be my 30th Lehigh game this year (if I can score a ticket - still groping!). Its about time I get some respect. xnodx

carney2
October 5th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Finally after all these years - cripes this will be my 30th Lehigh game this year (if I can score a ticket - still groping!). Its about time I get some respect. xnodx

Hang in there. Still no word from the powers that be as to what "if available" means. It will be "final week" with mine if I get them - and I expect to.

Pards Rule
October 5th, 2009, 02:48 PM
OK - thanks Carney. Either that or I gotta get up way too early and slouch over to Chickensquawk turf and purlion some 'scalped' ones. Scalped has to be in quotes since the price is no more than the ticket price. Nonetheless, the less amount of time I can spend staring at brown and gold things the better! I'm determined to make 50 games Carney - at least!!