PDA

View Full Version : Let's Be Honest...Does SCSU have a chance

AggieManiac704
October 3rd, 2009, 04:14 AM
The Bulldogs will roll deep into Gamecock country (Just like last time)
Will this game be respectable or just another smackdownxconfusedx

DSUrocks07
October 3rd, 2009, 06:34 AM
A chance? Yes (as much a chance as FAMU next week and my Hornets the week after). Probability? Highly unlikely.

SCSU's defense is the key, they have to come out from the opening kickoff with a conserted (sp?) effort for the entire game. If the Bulldogs fall behind early, they'll be in serious trouble. Oh and a bad game by the Gamecocks QB wouldn't hurt either.xwinkx

But after seeing them struggle against WSSU last week...I don't know... :(

JohnStOnge
October 3rd, 2009, 07:15 AM
Chances of keeping it respectable depend on the definition of "respectable." I like to play around with power ratings and estimate how frequently a power rating point spread will be off by some number of points. Right now the Sagarin spread is South Carolina -30 and the Dunkel spread is South Carolina -36. I estimate that Sagarin's spread is off by at least as much as -30 about 2% of the time and the Dunkel spread is off by at least as much as -36 about 1% of the time. So I'd put the chances that the underdog will win this game at about 1 or 2%.

If losing by no more than 14 points is respectable I'd put South Carolina State's chances of doing that at about 7% using Sagarin and about 14% using Dunkel. If it's losing by no more than 21 I'd put them at 27% using Sagarin and about 16% using Dunkel. So on and so forth.

elcid83
October 3rd, 2009, 07:17 AM
Gamecocks fans - and I am one - are looking for a long overdue blowout performance from their O. They want to seel every O player get a chance to play. Anything short of that and the Carolina fans will be disappointed.

Go Cocks!

SideLine Shooter
October 3rd, 2009, 07:39 AM
Not Today!

IaaScribe
October 3rd, 2009, 09:07 AM
I picked South Carolina 33-14, which would be an improvement over SCSU's showings against FBS schools last year.

B&G
October 3rd, 2009, 09:13 AM
I don't think SCSU has a realistic shot of winning this game. I can't see them even scoring a TD unless it's via D/ST or in garbage time. SC's defense held NCSU to 3 points so please don't take that as a diss.

I don't think they will run up the score out of respect. I'd say something like 42-3.

proasu89
October 3rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Probably not, but I would like to see Will Ford have a big dayxthumbsupx

phoenixphanatic21
October 3rd, 2009, 09:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

Mid-Atlantic
October 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
the only thing is probably some SCSU played with or against South Carolina players in high school,

but no...

DSUrocks07
October 3rd, 2009, 10:47 AM
SC State's chances... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RevcwSUnpxk)

Only for motivation Bulldogs xthumbsupx

AppChicago
October 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
I'll be at this game, and as much as I'd like to see SCSU hang in there... I don't think they're going to.

phillyAPP
October 3rd, 2009, 11:51 AM
I'll be at this game, and as much as I'd like to see SCSU hang in there... I don't think they're going to.

Cheer for the SCSU team. I loved their fans at the ROCK.

Go Bulldogs............... Chock the Cocks !!!!!!!!

WestCoastAggie
October 3rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
34-14 South Carolina Final BUT:

10-7 South Carolina End of First Half. xthumbsupx

JALMOND
October 3rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Well, right now the score is 0-0.:D

Really, there is nothing to lose for SC State and if they play like that (play loose and smart), they'll do fine. Everyone expects them to lose this game. Just play, have fun and take stock as to where they are at the end of every quarter. If it is close at the end of the third, then try to win it in the fourth. Otherwise, just have fun with it.

xthumbsupx

TheFCSAdvocate
October 3rd, 2009, 12:42 PM
Cheer for the SCSU team. I loved their fans at the ROCK.

Go Bulldogs............... Chock the Cocks !!!!!!!!

Just like your team is getting choked by The Citadel?:D

DSUrocks07
October 3rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
34-14 South Carolina Final BUT:

10-7 South Carolina End of First Half. xthumbsupx

xeekx

dude...and just 4 points off from the final score. xbowx

R.A.
October 3rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
I picked South Carolina 33-14, which would be an improvement over SCSU's showings against FBS schools last year.

38-14.

BullDog85
October 3rd, 2009, 10:05 PM
A SEC vs a MEAC team...was there any doubt? SC State was strong the first half, but the Gamecocks have depth and more athletes. Their second score came in the last seconds against USCs 3rd stringers. SC State is a very strong FCS team and they will win the MEAC, but they didn't stand a chance against the Gamecocks.

AppChicago
October 3rd, 2009, 10:21 PM
From the stands, I saw a first half in which the Gamecocks were getting all they could handle. I mean, they were never behind, but they couldn't get anything going on offense, either. They looked ineffective and weak.

Halftime came and went (and who doesn't love some sweet showband action? SC States band was awesome. Lots of fun) and then we saw the difference between the teams. USC's depth, thanks to those lovely extra scholarships, came out to play, and the coaching adjustments of the hated Spurrier did their thing. After that it was a cakewalk for USC. We left after it hit 31-7.

Even though I'm now a USC grad student, and was wearing a Gamecocks shirt, I was pulling for SC State tonight and saw plenty of talent out there. But at the end of the day, the level of recruiting and scholarships and coaching made all the difference in the world.