Delaware 28 at Maine 17
Rhode Island 19 at Brown 16
Holy Cross 28 at Northeastern 14
Old Dominion 17 at Fordham 24

JMU_71
October 1st, 2009, 04:21 PM
James Madison at Hofstra 45-14
New Hampshire at Towson 35-10
William & Mary at Villanova 23-19 (the good side of this score... this time)
Delaware at Maine 16-14
Rhode Island at Brown 13-6
Holy Cross at Northeastern 38-10
Old Dominion at Fordham 24-20

seattlespider
October 1st, 2009, 04:27 PM
James Madison 35 at Hofstra 10
New Hampshire 38 at Towson 14
William & Mary 21 at Villanova 24
Delaware 17 at Maine 20
Rhode Island 10 at Brown 17
Holy Cross 34 at Northeastern 3

danefan
October 1st, 2009, 04:32 PM
James Madison at Hofstra
New Hampshire at Towson
William & Mary at Villanova
Delaware at Maine
Rhode Island at Brown
Holy Cross at Northeastern
Old Dominion at Fordham

GoBlueHens83
October 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM
James Madison 31 at Hofstra 14
New Hampshire 35 at Towson 10
William & Mary 21 at villanova 20
Delaware 13 at Maine 21
Rhode Island 19 at Brown 24
Holy Cross 35 at Northeastern 9
Old Dominion 17 at Fordham 28

wideright82
October 1st, 2009, 04:37 PM
James Madison at Hofstra 45-14
New Hampshire at Towson 35-10
Delaware at Maine 16-14
Rhode Island at Brown 13-6
Holy Cross at Northeastern 38-10
Old Dominion at Fordham 24-20

Man do I hate 4 point losses on the 6th and 12th game xlolxxlolx

GannonFan
October 1st, 2009, 04:46 PM
Here's my take:

James Madison 35 Hofstra 14 : I think JMU takes a little while getting started in this one, maybe from the tough tussle last week against Liberty or maybe from overlooking a Hofstra team that got drilled by Richmond a few weeks ago. Plus, Hofstra just plays better on the Island than on the road. JMU should pull away in the second half in this one. After this, JMU starts a 6 game stretch that has them playing every contender in the CAA save for UNH - we'll know how good JMU is real soon.

New Hampshire 49 Towson 10: When you lose to Morgan St as Towson did last week, you just know there's not going to be very many good things ahead. Towson enters what could very well be a winless CAA trek with a thrashing by UNH.

William and Mary 35 villanova 25: The game of the week for the CAA this week as two top 5 teams square off on the Main Line. To me, watching nova play these past few weeks, I think they're struggling on offense (I know the score in the Northeastern game, but the Northeastern/Towson game is probably a tossup this year, so that should tell you a lot about the Huskies) and I think when they run into a team like W&M that can play defense and, more importantly, stop the run, I think nova could struggle. I know the game is at nova, but there's little home field advantage from that, and I think W&M is coming into their own. I like the Tribe in this one.

Delaware 28 Maine 14: The Hens have looked poor for two weeks now following the last second, field goal blocked defeat against Richmond, and while they are 2-2 overall for the year, the two losses were by 11 points to two of the top 5 teams in the country, so all may not be as bad as it seems. What is bad, however, is UD's running game, and if they are to win many games going forward, they'll need some semblance of a running game to go along with Devlin's excellent QB play. I think Maine just isn't that good this year - the scare from St. Cloud St, the loss at Albany - even last week against 'Cuse reeked of desperation as Maine had 4 trick plays (two onside kicks and two fake punts) all go successfully and they still lost by several TD's. The game's in Maine and the weather is supposed to be awful, but I think the Hens are better than their record says and I think they stay alive for a playoff berth, albeit an unlikely one, for a few more weeks.

Rhode Island 21 Brown 10: The battle for the smallest state I think sees the Rams continue their current win streak over the Bears. This would be 4 wins in a row for the Rams in this series, in which Rhode Island has won despite not having great seasons in any of the previous three. Brown is winless right now and I don't see them righting the ship anytime soon. Go with the CAA in this one.

Holy Cross 42 Northeastern 14: Can't go with the CAA in this one as woeful Northeastern takes on a pretty decent Crusader team. Like I said earlier, the Northeastern/Towson tussle in a few weeks could decide the worst team in the CAA, and nothing from this game will make anyone think otherwise. Even Parson's Field won't help NE here as Holy Cross won't be fazed by the empty seats and being able to hear the coordinators from the booths without headphones. Just a tough day for the Huskies in Beantown.

Old Dominion 21 Fordham 35: ODU valiantly tried to remain undefeated since starting football but ran into a Monmouth team that was thinking otherwise last week. Now ODU ventures on the road again and while they nipped Jacksonville in their first road game, this one should prove a little tougher. I don't think much of Fordham this year, but they should be able to hold off a start-up program in the Monarchs.

Pitz
October 1st, 2009, 04:49 PM
James Madison 41, Hofstra 10
New Hampshire 31, Towson 7
Villanova 29, W&M 24
Delaware 33, Maine 27
Rhode Island 21, Brown 20
Holy Cross 35, Northeastern 24
Fordham 38, ODU 23

KAUMASS
October 1st, 2009, 04:51 PM
James Madison at Hofstra
New Hampshire at Towson
Delaware at Maine
Rhode Island at Brown
Old Dominion at Fordham

soccerguy315
October 1st, 2009, 05:45 PM
James Madison at Hofstra
New Hampshire at Towson
William & Mary at Villanova this is obviously the biggest game... could go either way, but going with the home team
Delaware at Maine
Rhode Island at Brown
Old Dominion at Fordham

how do you have W&M getting 19?
TD + 5FG?
2TD + 2FGs, missed XP?
2TD + 1FG + 2 2pt conversions?

Henwatcher
October 1st, 2009, 05:58 PM
James Madison 42 Hofstra 14
New Hampshire 42 Towson 7
Villanova 24 W&M 17
Maine 24 Delaware 14
Rhode Island 27 Brown 20
Holy Cross 35 Northeastern 14
Old Dominion 34 Fordham 28

BDKJMU
October 1st, 2009, 06:34 PM
URI @ Brown. URI by 1-2 TDs in the battle for the…what are they battling for in RI? Bown is 0-2, having lost @ 1-3 Stoneybrook 21-20 and @ Harvard 24-21. URI is probably the 10th best team in the CAA, but they are better than Brown.

Holy Cross @ Northeastern. HC by 2-3 TDs. HC is 3-0, but haven't beaten any team worth a damn (GT, Sacred Heart, Harvard). At Parsons I think Northeastern will keep it within 2-3 TDs like they did with now 3-1 YSU, losing by 17.

UNH @ Towson by 5-6 TDs

UD @ Maine. UD by 1-2 TDs. Maine sounded good for a half against Paulus and Syracuse, but I just don’t think they are very good. Going to OT against St Cloud St at home, struggling to beat a bad Northeastern (granted was at Parsons), losing @ Albany. I would pick UD by more if it was in Newark. Maine will probably be in the single digits to low teens in scoring here, and UD will probably be in the 20s…

JMU 31 @ Hofstra 10: Last time JMU played @ Hofstra in late Sept 05’ also game 5, Hofstra was ranked and coming off an upset win @ ranked Furman. Hofstra took the lead 10-7 at the half before JMU put up 28 unanswered in the 2nd to win 42-10. 3 things which will limit JMU’s scoring:
1.MM said he plans to continue to rotate Dudzick & Thorpe
2.JMU is a little banged up offensively (will be missing 2-3 of the “skill” position players from the 2 deep):
-2 deep receiver Kerby Long out till at least early Nov with broken hand.
-starting tailback Jamal Sullivan out with bruised knee
- starting receiver Bosco Williams missed 1st 3 games. Surgery on foot in July. Just started practice this week. Doubt he sees much action, if any, against Hofstra.
(Only defensive 2 deep out I know of iscorner Mike Allen out till late Oct with bruised kidney).
3. Weather report is calling for T-storms in the morning and late afternoon, so could have some rain here, which might also limit the scoring. GF was right, JMU will probably start out slow before pulling away in the 2nd half.

W&M @ Nova by a TD or less.

Comparing schedules:
Week 1: Temple-UVA (by 3 and 12 respectively). Temple is probably as good as winless UVA (or maybe better). Nova was impressive in winning by 3 with a +4 TO margin. W&M was also impressive winning by 12 with a +6 TO margin.
Week 2: Lehigh-CCU (won by 21 and 20 respectively). About equally impressive here IMHO.
Week 3: Penn-NSU: (won by 11 and 12 respectively) But Nova struggled to beat Penn 14-3, while W&M easily beat a mediocre NSU team in a game that wasn’t nearly as close as the 27-15 score indicated. W&M was dominating 27-0 and then took a siesta 4th qtr in that one letting NSU put up 15 late points. W&M more impressive here.
Week 4: Northeastern-UD: Not sure what is more impressive beating a bad Northeastern 56-7 at home or a good UD 30-20 at home.
IMHO the teams look about equally impressive in each week except for week 3, where W&M looked more impressive. The one CAA game for each team is where W&M definitely gets the SOS edge with 2 quality wins to Nova’s one.

Statistically after 4 games, rank among the 12 CAA teams:
--------------------------Nova-------W&M
Rushing Offense : 2nd/228.0 6th/168.0
Passing Offense:-11th/150.2 5th/194.8
Total Offense:----4th/378.2---6th/362.8
Scoring Offense:-2nd/33.8----6th/29.0
Rush Defense----4th/86.2-----1st/59.0
Pass Defense:----7th/210.8---5th/193.8
Total Defense:----6th/297.0---2nd/252.8
Scoring defense:-1st/12.8-----5th 15.8
http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2009/confldrs.htm

Nova might have a slightly better offense. W&M looks to have a slightly better defense. Big question will be how well will that #2 in CAA Nova rushing game move the ball against the #1 CAA rush defense? Even though Nova doesn’t have much of a homefield advantage with their weak fan support, even though W&M has been a little more impressive over 4 weeks with a little stronger SOS, I just have to go with a gut feeling and go with Nova at home in a close one.

BDKJMU
October 1st, 2009, 06:42 PM
Why are some people making ODU picks? Nothing against ODU, I wish them the best of luck (until they play JMU in a year or 2xsmiley_wix), but they're not a CAA team yet (as far as football) playing a CAA schedule, and this is the weekly "CAA Predictions" thread xconfusedx

RattlerFan70
October 1st, 2009, 07:12 PM
James Madison at Hofstra
New Hampshire at Towson
Delaware at Maine
Rhode Island at Brown
Old Dominion at Fordham

Dukie95
October 1st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Why are some people making ODU picks? Nothing against ODU, I wish them the best of luck (until they play JMU in a year or 2xsmiley_wix), but they're not a CAA team yet (as far as football) playing a CAA schedule, and this is the weekly "CAA Predictions" thread xconfusedx

Sorry, we should be making Monmouth/Duquesne picks instead...you're right.

Husky Alum
October 1st, 2009, 08:15 PM
James Madison over Hofstra, and it's not gonna be close. URI, Hofstra and NU are clearly the laggards of the pack in the North. Uncle Buck and I may be the only fans in attendance at the NU-Hofstra game in November.

New Hampshire over Towson. Best part about this game (other than the Wildcat win) is that UNH Alum may get to eat some of Maryland's finest crabs. Towson anxiously awaiting the Bad Bowl at Parsons on October 17.

William & Mary at Villanova. Head says Nova, heart says Tribe - heart prevails over head in this one.

Delaware at Maine Maine gets a solid home win.

Rhode Island at Brown The Battle of Rhody goes Ivy this year.

Holy Cross at Northeastern - what happens when a real good quarterback meets up with a real bad defense? It's a freaking airshow. Only the rain and heavy winds can keep Holy Cross from drubbing NU.

Old Dominion at Fordham

UNH Fanboi
October 1st, 2009, 08:25 PM
New Hampshire over Towson. Best part about this game (other than the Wildcat win) is that UNH Alum may get to eat some of Maryland's finest crabs. Towson anxiously awaiting the Bad Bowl at Parsons on October 17.

CRABCAKES AND FOOTBALL, THAT'S WHAT MARYLAND DOES!

Pitz
October 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM

xlolx

19Duke97
October 1st, 2009, 09:23 PM

Ouch that's a shot over the bow at a certain writer...

Rhode Island 28 at Brown 13 (Even the bottom of the CAA is stronger than a mid pack Ivy league team)
Holy Cross 21 at Northeastern 20 (PL fans seem to think this is a blowout - I disagree, especially since it's at NE)
New Hampshire 56 at Towson 14 (No comment necessary)
William & Mary 20 at Villanova 30 (GOTW should be a barn burner, VU is at home, and I think the better team)
James Madison 31 at Hofstra 14 (Better game then last year, but JMU is the better team)
Delaware 20 at Maine 21 (Upset? not sure this game could mark the downward spiral of UD for the season, and Maine is tough at home)
ODU 24 at Fordham 27 (Fordham gets their first win of the season as ODU finds tougher sailing)

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 1st, 2009, 09:24 PM
James Madison 31 at Hofstra 14. :( Pride plays decent defense despite the score. No Offense, though
New Hampshire 38 at Towson 10. xnodx 'Cat defense & Special Teams make a return, scoring on an Int return and KO return
William & Mary 24 at Villanova 27 (OT). xbowx Battle of the Big Boys goes to the Home Club. But, ... what a game!
Delaware 14 at Maine 17. xthumbsupx Maine holds on to their hopes in a thriller while Hens are effectively crushed.
Rhode Island 24 at Brown 17. :) Battle of Rhody stays in the CAA.
Holy Cross 38 at Northeastern 14. :( Patriot excellence trumps CAA bottom feeders
Old Dominion 14 at Fordham 28. xsmhx Patriot claims a CAA victory (sort of)

BDKJMU
October 1st, 2009, 09:26 PM

xlolxxlolxxlolx

wideright82
October 1st, 2009, 09:32 PM
Here's my take:

James Madison 35 Hofstra 14 : I think JMU takes a little while getting started in this one, maybe from the tough tussle last week against Liberty or maybe from overlooking a Hofstra team that got drilled by Richmond a few weeks ago. Plus, Hofstra just plays better on the Island than on the road. JMU should pull away in the second half in this one. After this, JMU starts a 6 game stretch that has them playing every contender in the CAA save for UNH - we'll know how good JMU is real soon.

New Hampshire 49 Towson 10: When you lose to Morgan St as Towson did last week, you just know there's not going to be very many good things ahead. Towson enters what could very well be a winless CAA trek with a thrashing by UNH.

William and Mary 35 villanova 25: The game of the week for the CAA this week as two top 5 teams square off on the Main Line. To me, watching nova play these past few weeks, I think they're struggling on offense (I know the score in the Northeastern game, but the Northeastern/Towson game is probably a tossup this year, so that should tell you a lot about the Huskies) and I think when they run into a team like W&M that can play defense and, more importantly, stop the run, I think nova could struggle. I know the game is at nova, but there's little home field advantage from that, and I think W&M is coming into their own. I like the Tribe in this one.

Delaware 28 Maine 14: The Hens have looked poor for two weeks now following the last second, field goal blocked defeat against Richmond, and while they are 2-2 overall for the year, the two losses were by 11 points to two of the top 5 teams in the country, so all may not be as bad as it seems. What is bad, however, is UD's running game, and if they are to win many games going forward, they'll need some semblance of a running game to go along with Devlin's excellent QB play. I think Maine just isn't that good this year - the scare from St. Cloud St, the loss at Albany - even last week against 'Cuse reeked of desperation as Maine had 4 trick plays (two onside kicks and two fake punts) all go successfully and they still lost by several TD's. The game's in Maine and the weather is supposed to be awful, but I think the Hens are better than their record says and I think they stay alive for a playoff berth, albeit an unlikely one, for a few more weeks.

Rhode Island 21 Brown 10: The battle for the smallest state I think sees the Rams continue their current win streak over the Bears. This would be 4 wins in a row for the Rams in this series, in which Rhode Island has won despite not having great seasons in any of the previous three. Brown is winless right now and I don't see them righting the ship anytime soon. Go with the CAA in this one.

Holy Cross 42 Northeastern 14: Can't go with the CAA in this one as woeful Northeastern takes on a pretty decent Crusader team. Like I said earlier, the Northeastern/Towson tussle in a few weeks could decide the worst team in the CAA, and nothing from this game will make anyone think otherwise. Even Parson's Field won't help NE here as Holy Cross won't be fazed by the empty seats and being able to hear the coordinators from the booths without headphones. Just a tough day for the Huskies in Beantown.

Old Dominion 21 Fordham 35: ODU valiantly tried to remain undefeated since starting football but ran into a Monmouth team that was thinking otherwise last week. Now ODU ventures on the road again and while they nipped Jacksonville in their first road game, this one should prove a little tougher. I don't think much of Fordham this year, but they should be able to hold off a start-up program in the Monarchs.

Look, GF, I understand your hatred for all things Nova, believe me I hate you guys just as much. However, to dismiss the home field advantage we have due to atmosphere and fan base is not only wrong it is dumb and ill informed. How in gods name you don't see home field advantage when we've only lost to JMU on a fluke in the last 3 or 4 years at home is beyond me. However, we won't have a lot of fans there, our stadium will suck, but mark my words, them boys will get up the same if not more than your Blue Hens at home. count on it. You can argue all you want, but you haven't won at our place or your place in a few years now so I give US the home field advantage. xrulesxxcoffeex

As far as number 2 rush vs. number 1 rush d. That will depend on out oline. at their best. We run all over whom ever we want. see 08. Plenty of teams came in as a great run defense, we consitently ran alllll over them. Now the lack of consistency scares me.

tribe_pride
October 1st, 2009, 09:52 PM
Look, GF, I understand your hatred for all things Nova, believe me I hate you guys just as much. However, to dismiss the home field advantage we have due to atmosphere and fan base is not only wrong it is dumb and ill informed. How in gods name you don't see home field advantage when we've only lost to JMU on a fluke in the last 3 or 4 years at home is beyond me. However, we won't have a lot of fans there, our stadium will suck, but mark my words, them boys will get up the same if not more than your Blue Hens at home. count on it. You can argue all you want, but you haven't won at our place or your place in a few years now so I give US the home field advantage. xrulesxxcoffeex

As far as number 2 rush vs. number 1 rush d. That will depend on out oline. at their best. We run all over whom ever we want. see 08. Plenty of teams came in as a great run defense, we consitently ran alllll over them. Now the lack of consistency scares me.

xflamemadxxanim_chaixxpissedxxspankxxasswhipx

andy7171
October 1st, 2009, 10:15 PM

I wish I had a snappy comeback involving the preseason rankings of the BlueHens, but I dont. And I agree. xbawlingx

I played in one of the many in our past. :o

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 1st, 2009, 10:16 PM

CRABCAKES AND FOOTBALL, THAT'S WHAT MARYLAND DOES!

If the day goes according to plan, there'll be a couple of cold ones with Andy as well as a trip to Fells Point in the evening. Crab Cakes are a definitive possibility!! xnodx :D :D :D :D

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

wideright82
October 1st, 2009, 10:17 PM
xflamemadxxanim_chaixxpissedxxspankxxasswhipx
right back at ya t_p. xcoffeexxlolxxlolx

EmeryZach
October 1st, 2009, 10:22 PM
JMU 42 - Hofstra 0
W&M 21 - Nova 20
UNH 37 - Towson 14
Delaware 21 - Maine 7
URI 17 - Brown 13
HC 41 - Northeastern 21
ODU 14 - Frodham 13

BAM!!

Hoyadestroya85
October 1st, 2009, 10:46 PM
I think that The W&M-Villanova game could be a total borefest. I don't see much scoring.

andy7171
October 1st, 2009, 11:50 PM
If the day goes according to plan, there'll be a couple of cold ones with Andy as well as a trip to Fells Point in the evening. Crab Cakes are a definitive possibility!! xnodx :D :D :D :D

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Couple? Hell I'll be laying down in the parking lot by 5pm~!xlolx

Whatever you do don't go to O'brckys. Over priced and over black peppered! Just ask 93henfan and dbackjon. What a waste of money that place was!

...looking forward to this weekend, not the game, but the weekend.:o

BDKJMU
October 2nd, 2009, 01:06 AM
I think that The W&M-Villanova game could be a total borefest. I don't see much scoring.

A close low scoring game can be just as exciting as a close high scoring game. I'd rather see 10-7 with great defense than 45-42 with crappy defense.

th0m
October 2nd, 2009, 02:09 AM
James Madison at Hofstra
New Hampshire at Towson
William & Mary at Villanova this is obviously the biggest game... could go either way, but going with the home team
Delaware at Maine
Rhode Island at Brown
Old Dominion at Fordham

how do you have W&M getting 19?
TD + 5FG?
2TD + 2FGs, missed XP?
2TD + 1FG + 2 2pt conversions?

How about 3 TD's, two missed XP's.

Or 2 TD's, a FG and a safety.

Last year Villanova got it by hitting 2 FG's, scoring 2 TD's and missing one 2pt conversion

Dukie95
October 2nd, 2009, 07:08 AM
James Madison at Hofstra
New Hampshire at Towson
William & Mary at Villanova - Maybe I'm the doubting GannonFan for W&M this year. I've made my peace about W&M on here before: I just don't see it. Villanova's the better team and they're at home.
Delaware at Maine - I really don't know, but the quicker we can remove UD from the playoff field, the better off the Dukes will be, this is all about what I want to see happen.
Rhode Island at Brown - The CAA North provides more fodder for the CAA haters.
Holy Cross at Northeastern - See above
Old Dominion at Fordham - I think this is ODU's toughest game this season, although VMI is looking better.

bluehenbillk
October 2nd, 2009, 07:09 AM
Look, GF, I understand your hatred for all things Nova, believe me I hate you guys just as much. However, to dismiss the home field advantage we have due to atmosphere and fan base is not only wrong it is dumb and ill informed.

As GF is married to a 'Nova grad I'd say his views toward 'Nova are mild actually. If you think VU has a real home field advantage though, rather than call you dumb or ill-informed, which you may be, I'd just suggest actually leaving the Main Line once in a while & visiting other venues where such an advantage exists.

wideright82
October 2nd, 2009, 07:52 AM
As GF is married to a 'Nova grad I'd say his views toward 'Nova are mild actually. If you think VU has a real home field advantage though, rather than call you dumb or ill-informed, which you may be, I'd just suggest actually leaving the Main Line once in a while & visiting other venues where such an advantage exists.

I didn't call GF dumb and ill informed, bhbk. I called the notion dumb and ill informed. I think GF is anything but. However, on may occasions he has said his wife doesn't even care about Villanova football, and I KNOW for a fact, he is not mild. Anyway, leaving the mainline comment suggests you have absolutely NO idea who you are talking to, and have no idea what homefield advantage is. Carry on hens fan.... carry on.

ps. Hens fans take a look at a comparison of games won and lost at home over the last 4 years. See who has better home field advantage. (oh yeah, you lost to us away and home once with flacco)

andy7171
October 2nd, 2009, 07:55 AM
ps. Hens fans take a look at a comparison of games won and lost at home over the last 4 years. See who has better home field advantage. (oh yeah, you lost to us away and home once with flacco)
You aren't the only ones to rout Flacco in Newark. xwhistlex

wideright82
October 2nd, 2009, 07:57 AM
You aren't the only ones to rout Flacco in Newark. xwhistlex

Believe me Andy I know. They for some reason think from the stands they have a CLUE what homefield advantage is. xcoffeex

If you can't protect your house....... where is your advantage when you are there?

tribe_pride
October 2nd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Starting this post, I have no way of knowing which way it'll go but let's look at how Nova has done for the past 4 years home and away.

2009 - 2-0 home, 2-0 away (no tough home games)
2008 - 5-1 home, 5-2 away (good home loss to JMU, Richmond, UNH good home wins)
2007 - 5-0 home, 2-4 away) (good home win v. Delaware, otherwise very easy home schedule that year)
2006 - 2-3 home, 4-2 away) (good home loss to Umass, bad home loss to Towson and Lehigh, good home win against JMU)

If we are just looking at the last 3 years (ignore 2006 where there really was no home field advantage), Nova does not lose games at home that it should clearly win and has been able to pull off the occasional upset. There is just not a lot of data out there against good teams.

I am expecting a good game tomorrow and would be surprised if the winner won by more than 10.

Go Tribe.

wideright82
October 2nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Starting this post, I have no way of knowing which way it'll go but let's look at how Nova has done for the past 4 years home and away.

2007 - 5-0 home, 2-4 away) (good home win v. Delaware, otherwise very easy home schedule that year)
2006 - 2-3 home, 4-2 away) (good home loss to Umass, bad home loss to Towson and Lehigh, good home win against JMU)

If we are just looking at the last 3 years (ignore 2006 where there really was no home field advantage), Nova does not lose games at home that it should clearly win and has been able to pull off the occasional upset. There is just not a lot of data out there against good teams.

I am expecting a good game tomorrow and would be surprised if the winner won by more than 10.

Go Tribe.

Keep in mind some of those "easy wins" were against teams that S*** the bed. Hofstra was 15 when they came in, richmond was highly ranked when they came in one year, and 2006..... yeah that was a brutal year.

andy7171
October 2nd, 2009, 08:26 AM

Go Tribe.
How is the loss at home to Towson in 2006 bad? We were 7-4 that year?

wideright82
October 2nd, 2009, 08:27 AM

cause you guys stomped us xlolx

edit: my mistake... .you stomped us in 05

Hoyadestroya85
October 2nd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Keep in mind some of those "easy wins" were against teams that S*** the bed. Hofstra was 15 when they came in, richmond was highly ranked when they came in one year, and 2006..... yeah that was a brutal year.

In 2006, Richmond was supposed to beat us.. they were highly ranked and crapped out. That season was bizarre because once Marvin turned it on, we became what was probably a top 20 team.

Fear the Bird
October 2nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
JMU 45 Hofstra 6
New Hampshire 35 Towson 3
Villanova 27 W&M 24
Delaware 17 Maine 7
Rhode Island 24 Brown 20
Holy Cross 38 Northeastern 17
Fordham 41 ODU 21

JMUNJ08
October 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
James Madison 35 at Hofstra 24 JMU always sleep walks through part of road games and gives their fans a scare. Not much different here but wet weather = lots of running even without Sullivan.
New Hampshire 34 at Towson 27 I believe this is the game Towson may show up for and UNH overlooks for obvious reasons.
William & Mary 14 at Villanova 27 How often do big games live up to their hype? Not always. I believe both teams are really even (and I saw how good W&M can be at UVA) but nova takes the lead early and never loses it.
Delaware 21 at Maine 27 Time to get another D1 transfer or two for '10.
Rhode Island 3 at Brown 17 Ivy gets the W.
Holy Cross 31 at Northeastern 20 Northeastern makes a game of it for 3 quarters.
Old Dominion 10 at Fordham 24 ODU starts to realize they aren't going to the top THAT quickly

bluehenbillk
October 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Anyway, leaving the mainline comment suggests you have absolutely NO idea who you are talking to, and have no idea what homefield advantage is. Carry on hens fan.... carry on......

....Believe me Andy I know. They for some reason think from the stands they have a CLUE what homefield advantage is.

Keeler is 39-14 (.717) at home
UD is 266-84-4 (.753) at the Tub

But we wouldn't know anything. Can you even really claim a home-field when you play UD in Radnor Twp when you have just as many or fewer fans in the stands than the "visiting" team? Looking forward to taking your tailgating spots in November.

wideright82
October 2nd, 2009, 09:01 AM

But we wouldn't know anything. Can you even really claim a home-field when you play UD in Radnor Twp when you have just as many or fewer fans in the stands than the "visiting" team? Looking forward to taking your tailgating spots in November.

Fist of all, like I said, as of late. Secondly, you continually bringing up fan base shows you think fans are the only thing that creates home field advantage. I know for us, it was the fact that simpletons like you think that way so we are out to prove you wrong, you know, by winning.

Also, you should probably know that we tailgate in a different reserved area than you guys. Sorry. However, feel free to come get a beer. Oh and my point was I played for Villanova, so me thinks I've seen a good number of venues outside the mainline. Including playing on your field xthumbsupx

wideright82
October 2nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
In 2006, Richmond was supposed to beat us.. they were highly ranked and crapped out. That season was bizarre because once Marvin turned it on, we became what was probably a top 20 team.

Yes we were. Worst meeting I was ever in was that post Lehigh meeting. If i remember correctly we had a full practice on sunday. xsmhxxlolxxlolx

andy7171
October 2nd, 2009, 09:23 AM

I think what WR is saying is that while UD fans travel extrememly well, the crowd isn't all that goes into homefield advantage. You don't really hear that stuff on the field.

...although I do remember hearing, from the bottom of the pile, 23,000 going silent on a 4th and goal play with seconds left to go. xpeacex

wideright82
October 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
I think what WR is saying is that while UD fans travel extrememly well, the crowd isn't all that goes into homefield advantage. You don't really hear that stuff on the field.

...although I do remember hearing, from the bottom of the pile, 23,000 going silent on a 4th and goal play with seconds left to go. xpeacex

Dead on with your first point.

Nothing better than hearing all of those fans go dead quiet when you block a last second field goal against them as well.xthumbsupx

tribe_pride
October 2nd, 2009, 09:26 AM

Well look at that. I just assumed but you know what happens when you assume. xoopsx

wideright82
October 2nd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Well look at that. I just assumed but you know what happens when you assume. xoopsx

Fair assumption........ it is Townson State Normal College of Maryland after all. xwhistlexxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

bluehenbillk
October 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Okay "former players", enlighten me on home field advantage:

-Routine
-Sleep in your own bed
-Familiarity with playing surface, grass vs turf

Sure I'll give you all that.

I'd think noise and other teams fans might have just a little to do with what is termed home-field advantage....

danefan
October 2nd, 2009, 09:31 AM
Biggest home field advantages that I found playing:

Own bed;
Familiarity with the food;
Own training room;
Own lockerroom

wideright82
October 2nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
Okay "former players", enlighten me on home field advantage:

-Routine
-Sleep in your own bed
-Familiarity with playing surface, grass vs turf

Sure I'll give you all that.

I'd think noise and other teams fans might have just a little to do with what is termed home-field advantage....

It does. My point has only been that it is illinformed to say Villanova DOESN'T have homefield advantage because of fan base and atmosphere. (when results over the past 3.5 years has proven otherwise.)

And why is "former players" in quotations? Just out of curiosity.

bluehenbillk
October 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
It does. My point has only been that it is illinformed to say Villanova DOESN'T have homefield advantage because of fan base and atmosphere. (when results over the past 3.5 years has proven otherwise.)

So I'm asking you to define the homefield advantage. You said you played there so there should be no one more qualified then you to answer the question. What do you attribute 'Nova's "homefield advantage" to? What led you to win more at home then on the road? Not being critical, just looking for your perspective..

andy7171
October 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
And why is "former players" in quotations? Just out of curiosity.

Because you are a kicker. xlolxxlolxxlolx

wideright82
October 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
Because you are a kicker. xlolxxlolxxlolx

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx That's what I was gonna say too...... I'll call you what I want to call you over at home base Andy

wideright82
October 2nd, 2009, 09:38 AM
So I'm asking you to define the homefield advantage. You said you played there so there should be no one more qualified then you to answer the question. What do you attribute 'Nova's "homefield advantage" to? What led you to win more at home then on the road? Not being critical, just looking for your perspective..

To be honest for us I think it was something to prove. We recognized our school was not in support of us, and like the runt of a litter we were always out to show that we protected our house regardless of support. When you look at the players on their team, very many of them have bones to pick, and chips on their shoulders. Tough group of guys and due to our lack of support over the years, really the only people you could turn to for support. Family, really, always protect family.

Also, our turf is incredibly fast, probably one step below astroturf. We have always been a "smaller" team and rely on speed to win. One of the reasons we struggle at Franklin Field is their turf is incredibly slow. You'll notice when we really started winning was when our Oline coach stopped his "below 300 lbs" kick. Yes that was a belief at Villanova from 04-06. Now that we have a huge oline you can see the drastic change in success.

andy7171
October 2nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
I'll call you what I want to call you over at home base Andy

I have no idea what this means. And HTF are you getting away with what you are getting away with???

WrenFGun
October 2nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
James Madison 35 at Hofstra 24 JMU always sleep walks through part of road games and gives their fans a scare. Not much different here but wet weather = lots of running even without Sullivan.
New Hampshire 34 at Towson 27 I believe this is the game Towson may show up for and UNH overlooks for obvious reasons.
William & Mary 14 at Villanova 27 How often do big games live up to their hype? Not always. I believe both teams are really even (and I saw how good W&M can be at UVA) but nova takes the lead early and never loses it.
Delaware 21 at Maine 27 Time to get another D1 transfer or two for '10.
Rhode Island 3 at Brown 17 Ivy gets the W.
Holy Cross 31 at Northeastern 20 Northeastern makes a game of it for 3 quarters.
Old Dominion 10 at Fordham 24 ODU starts to realize they aren't going to the top THAT quickly

I'm happy to see a post like this. I expect the Towson/UNH game to be pretty close, not necessarily because we're overlooking Towson but more because we're really not clicking on all cylinders right now and there's a question as to who will be starting during the weekend. With that said, hopefully the second half against Dartmouth is a sign of things to come...

wideright82
October 2nd, 2009, 09:43 AM
I have no idea what this means. And HTF are you getting away with what you are getting away with???

Edit: I know what you mean. No idea. I guess it flies under the radar. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

wideright82
October 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
I'm happy to see a post like this. I expect the Towson/UNH game to be pretty close, not necessarily because we're overlooking Towson but more because we're really not clicking on all cylinders right now and there's a question as to who will be starting during the weekend. With that said, hopefully the second half against Dartmouth is a sign of things to come...

I think you are over estimating Townson. xlolxxlolxxlolx

andy7171
October 2nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
I think you are over estimating Townson. xlolxxlolxxlolx

Unfortunately, I agree. Our defense is greatly improved with some guys Ambrose has brought in. But our offense is being run by rotating true freshman. Ambrose has changed the atmosphere, but it's going to take a year or so for the young kids to grow into their positions. We're a year or two away from being contenders again.

JMUNJ08
October 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
While I believe UNH is much better then Towson even if not clicking on all cylinders, FCS games can be a little funny. A few turnovers, a big play and then the game is close. I just feel UNH at Towson could be one of those head scratchers when you just look at the scoreboard.

If Towson becomes a contender again the CAA South watch out! Would anyone make it out alive???

tribe_pride
October 2nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
I just can't wait to see what Terence Thomas has to say about the CAA, the MEAC, the NEC and the Big East this week.

andy7171
October 2nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
I just can't wait to see what Terence Thomas has to say about the CAA, the MEAC, the NEC and the Big East this week.

It's almost like Christmas morning waiting for the sun to come up.
xlolx

kdinva
October 2nd, 2009, 11:08 AM
JMU 37; Hofstra 13
UNH 31, Towson 15
W&M 20; Villanova 18
Maine 23; Delaware 17
Brown 27; URI 19
HC 37; N'eastern 14
Fordham 27; ODU 17

Husky Alum
October 2nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
Whatever you do don't go to O'brckys. Over priced and over black peppered! Just ask 93henfan and dbackjon. What a waste of money that place was!

We went to Cantler's when NU played Navy a few years back. Place is perfect, and good quality, and real good atmosphere. Not sure where it is vis a vis Towson.

I like Obrycky's, but only on an expense account. Great food, great service, but it is overpriced.

As for home field advantage, NU seems to catch up on schools because of the lack of environment at Parsons.

Hoyadestroya85
October 2nd, 2009, 11:26 AM

Villanova players have always played with a bit of a chip on their shoulders due to the lack of support and i think Andy Talley does a good job getting them up for games at home especially. We may not have the biggest crowds in america, but the few Villanova fans there are support the team passionately and loudly.

UNH Fanboi
October 2nd, 2009, 11:46 AM

Are you saying there's a question whether Toman will be starting? I thought that was debunked?

andy7171
October 2nd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Are you saying there's a question whether Toman will be starting? I thought that was debunked?

I saw an article on it yesterday. Where did you hear otherwise?

UNH Fanboi
October 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
I saw an article on it yesterday. Where did you hear otherwise?

Ok, just saw the article. I take it back

andy7171
October 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
Ok, just saw the article. I take it back

I hope your Wildcats are that quick to retreat! xlolxxlolxxpeacex

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 2nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
I think you'll see Decker go on Saturday.

I hope you'll see whole D line back.

ccd494
October 2nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
Supposed to be monsoon like tomorrow night in Orono.

Maine 2 - Delaware 0

UNHFootballAlum
October 2nd, 2009, 12:59 PM
The UNH D-line will be in tact except for McNally. he is very close to returning. Zarkoswki re-injured his ankle this week in practice and is out at Center

Husky Alum
October 2nd, 2009, 01:24 PM

Maine 2 - Delaware 0

Hockey exhibition? xsmiley_wix

I'm wondering who will score more points tomorrow, NU against Holy Cross or the hockey team in its exhibition against St. Elsewhere of Canada.

GannonFan
October 2nd, 2009, 01:26 PM

Maine 2 - Delaware 0

Eh, just potentially a lot of rain - they aren't predicting too much wind (at least per weather.com).

19Duke97
October 2nd, 2009, 01:27 PM

Maine 2 - Delaware 0

Rain will def play in Maine's favor.
So does the rain stay mainly on the plains in Maine? lol (bad joke I know...)

HensRock
October 2nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Here's my take:

So you're picking the team with no running game to win in bad weather...
I hope you're right. But I'm not hopeful at all about this one.

Standing by to disable GoHens.net after this one goes south! LOL

GannonFan
October 2nd, 2009, 03:24 PM
So you're picking the team with no running game to win in bad weather...

Well, when I made the pick, I didn't have the weather report. Geesh, I'm sure there'll be someone harping on the number of points I'm predicting as well (luckily I don't need to worry about VMI covering a spread this week in the CAA - apprently that really touches a nerve). Even so, you can pass in the rain, it's the wind that kills a passing game. Maine's got fake grass as well so passing should still be an option.

JMUNJ08
October 2nd, 2009, 03:29 PM
Unless you are JMU, you still try to pass in bad weather! Early in the game if it doesn't work, it gets scrapped.

Hoyadestroya85
October 2nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Unless you are JMU, you still try to pass in bad weather! Early in the game if it doesn't work, it gets scrapped.

Eh, you guys beat Villanova by passing in horrific weather last year.

JMUNJ08
October 2nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
Luck happens but everyone knows the run is our strength and poor weather conditions enhance that.

tribe_pride
October 2nd, 2009, 04:08 PM

Only by 10??? There is no way that Nova will score 25 on us. Our defense is too good. xsmiley_wix

Just messing with you. Seems like you were getting ripped on all of your picks and figured I'd join in on the fun. Right or wrong, it looks like you put some thought in to the picks which is better than I am going to do so I won't comment.

Uncle Buck
October 2nd, 2009, 05:44 PM
James Madison over Hofstra, and it's not gonna be close. URI, Hofstra and NU are clearly the laggards of the pack in the North. Uncle Buck and I may be the only fans in attendance at the NU-Hofstra game in November.

Not true. I may be bringing two buddies. One of them is a big Bruins fan and said he could definitely be interested in coming up for a trip. xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
October 2nd, 2009, 05:47 PM
JMU 42 - Hofstra 0

If that happens, look for Dave Cohen and the OC to get fired before they can walk back to the fieldhouse. Sad part is, they may want to have some boxes ready to clean out their offices xsmhx

GeeWiz
October 3rd, 2009, 02:43 AM
JMU 34 Hofstra 17 - Dukes roll to a relatively easy win on the island
UNH 41 Towson 20 - Wildcats have too much on both sides of the ball for Tigers
'Nova 31 W&M 28 - This game will be a back-and-forth tussle but Wildcats will hold on for the win
UD 24 Maine 17 - Blue Chickens hang on for a close victory
URI 28 Brown 13 - Rams usually win this in-state rivalry
Holy Cross 24 NU 21 - Really wanted to pick NU in this one, Huskies won't get blown out in this one

and in the big one ...

Fordham 34 ODU 24 - The Rams will be rude hosts to the Monarchs in the Boogie down Bx

Husky Alum
October 3rd, 2009, 11:10 AM
If that happens, look for Dave Cohen and the OC to get fired before they can walk back to the fieldhouse. Sad part is, they may want to have some boxes ready to clean out their offices xsmhx

Ironically, NU almost hired Dave Cohen instead of Rocky Hager. Looks like we both should have taken option C - None of the above.

Uncle Buck
October 3rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
Ironically, NU almost hired Dave Cohen instead of Rocky Hager. Looks like we both should have taken option C - None of the above.

Cohen is a great guy and has done a lot with football alumni and reaching out to people. His recruiting has been solid, but his OC is clueless and a couple of other coaches just seem too inexperienced. Unfortunately, some guys are just better coordinators than head coaches.

93henfan
October 4th, 2009, 01:39 AM
James Madison 31 at Hofstra 13 (17-24) xeyebrowx - whodathunkit?
New Hampshire 38 at Towson 17 (57-7) xeyebrowx - margin of victory way off
William & Mary 27 at Villanova 28 (17-28) xthumbsupx
Delaware 28 at Maine 17 (27-17) xthumbsupx xnodx
Rhode Island 19 at Brown 16 (20-28) xeyebrowx - hard to predict bad teams
Holy Cross 28 at Northeastern 14 (42-21) xthumbsupx - a bit light on points
Old Dominion 17 at Fordham 24 (29-34) xthumbsupx - light on points again

Had my best week yet in the GoHens Top 25 spread pool, going 14-3. :D

CAAisBOSS
October 4th, 2009, 05:05 AM
wm reallly let peanalties and turnovers kill them. outgained nova 472-283 but could not score in the redzone.they even had 12 more first downs

Oldhen
October 4th, 2009, 05:54 AM
wm reallly let peanalties and turnovers kill them. outgained nova 472-283 but could not score in the redzone.they even had 12 more first downs

Agree with all that, but the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against Wells was HUGE. Would have stopped VU and given the O the ball in good field position (VU went on to go up 14-zip). Would have been a big momentum-shifter ( on one of the biggest hits I can recall... that Tribe D was some kinda pumped after that tackle).

Had W&M gotten the ball back on the stop, and then gone in to score (two big if's, no doubt) it would have been a very different game.

Tribe4SF
October 4th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Agree with all that, but the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against Wells was HUGE. Would have stopped VU and given the O the ball in good field position (VU went on to go up 14-zip). Would have been a big momentum-shifter ( on one of the biggest hits I can recall... that Tribe D was some kinda pumped after that tackle).

Had W&M gotten the ball back on the stop, and then gone in to score (two big if's, no doubt) it would have been a very different game.

The penalty was not called on Wells. It was a taunting call on another player, who shall remain nameless because the refs didn't get his number.xeyebrowx

Oldhen
October 4th, 2009, 09:06 AM
The penalty was not called on Wells. It was a taunting call on another player, who shall remain nameless because the refs didn't get his number.xeyebrowx

Call on the play-by-play log says Wells. Check your website boxscore. Always could have been a mistake, no doubt, but it'll go into the records as on Wells.

Tribe4SF
October 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Call on the play-by-play log says Wells. Check your website boxscore. Always could have been a mistake, no doubt, but it'll go into the records as on Wells.

The record will be incorrect. The officials told Jimmye immediately after the play that the call was on another player for unsportsmanlike after the play, and that they did not get the number. The bad part is that this game was loaded with trash talking, and minor taunting, and there could have been many similar calls. The fact that there was a player down at that moment, undoubtedly influenced the ref throwing the flag. Our guy stepped in, bent over the down player, and said something, and he should have known better, and controlled himself.

Oldhen
October 4th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Our guy stepped in, bent over the down player, and said something, and he should have known better, and controlled himself.

Obviously a case of Acute TTT.

(Transient Testosterone Toxicity)

YoUDeeMan
October 4th, 2009, 12:37 PM
The record will be incorrect. The officials told Jimmye immediately after the play that the call was on another player for unsportsmanlike after the play, and that they did not get the number. The bad part is that this game was loaded with trash talking, and minor taunting, and there could have been many similar calls. The fact that there was a player down at that moment, undoubtedly influenced the ref throwing the flag. Our guy stepped in, bent over the down player, and said something, and he should have known better, and controlled himself.

Up until that play I was rooting for your guys and I was pumped up immediately after the big hit that made the stop. xnodx However, after the taunting (uncalled for), I enjoyed seeing nova go down to score and win the game. And yes, I believe that series was the difference in the game as it set the tone for the evening.

Instead of learning, W&M also took a few more stupid penalties. xoopsx

BDKJMU
October 6th, 2009, 11:14 PM
URI @ Brown. URI by 1-2 TDs (20-28) xoopsx

Holy Cross @ Northeastern. HC by 2-3 TDs. (42-21) xthumbsupx

UNH @ Towson. UNH by 5-6 TDs (57-7) xthumbsupx (7 TDs close enough. I got the blowout part right)

UD @ Maine. UD by 1-2 TDs. (27-17) xthumbsupx

JMU 31 @ Hofstra 10: (17-24) xoopsx xbawlingx (I've commented on this obamanation enough on the JMU/Hofstra Game thread)

W&M @ Nova by a TD or less. (17-28) xthumbsupx (little off with a 1.5 TD margin)

Week 1: No picks
Week 2: 7-1 (wrong on Ball State/UNH)
Week 3: 7-2 (wrong on Maine/Albany & Towson/Coastal)
Week 4: 9-1 (wrong on Towson/Morgan State
Week 5: 4-2
27-6, about 82%.

89Hen
October 7th, 2009, 07:51 AM
JMU 21 at Hofstra 24 (17-24) xthumbsupx
UNH 49 at Towson 7 (57-7) xthumbsupx
W&M 21 at Villanova 28 (17-28) xthumbsupx
Delaware 28 at Maine 21 (27-17) xthumbsupx
URI 21 at Brown 28 (20-28) xthumbsupx
Holy Cross 35 at Northeastern 20 (42-21) xthumbsupx

ODU 27 at Fordham 31 (29-34) xthumbsupx