PDA

View Full Version : CSN MEAC Review: Winning OOC Matchups

CSN-info
October 1st, 2009, 02:49 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/MEACREVIEW.JPG

CSN MEAC Review: Winning OOC Matchups
By Paul L. Thorpe, CSN MEAC Review Columnist

The MEAC Review hit the road again this week and headed down to Baltimore to check out the Maryland in-state rivalry between Towson and Morgan State. The MEAC got back some respect within the FCS by winning against Patriot League, Ohio Valley and CAA opponents. The games against the Patriot League and the CAA are interesting because both MEAC teams that earned victories are middle of the road within our conference.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/10/01/title-42?blog=5)

danefan
October 1st, 2009, 03:01 PM
Is Thorpe trying to say that the wins by Howard and Morgan State are quality wins and somehow are showing the strength of the MEAC?

Maybe I'm misreading this.

KAUMASS
October 1st, 2009, 03:15 PM
I read the article too, and I agree with Danefan. What's he trying to say here?

Probably the appetizer b4 the CAA Today article comes out tomorrow. Can't wait to see and read a 3 page write up on FAMU/SCSU/Morgan State in the CAA Today.

WestCoastAggie
October 1st, 2009, 03:16 PM
Is Thorpe trying to say that the wins by Howard and Morgan State are quality wins and somehow are showing the strength of the MEAC?

These were games in the past that we would lose and EVERY OOC win counts. Some just count more than others. It would have been great if Norfolk got a win against W&M but we gotta take what we can get.

BTW: Most of you don't care about these kinds of games and only care about the games in the Playoffs. So we gotta win some there before we "earn your respect". xnodx

WileECoyote06
October 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM
A & T 20 NCCU 7? xlolx

A & T hasn't scored 20 all year. NCCU has played a tougher schedule. Playing A & T is going to feel like getting hit with cotton balls compared to our last opponent.

NCCU 30 NC A & T 21 (they'll finally break 20). xthumbsupx

CSN-info
October 1st, 2009, 10:36 PM

Obvious misreading, or intentional to suit your purpose. Re-read the opening paragraph posted here.

UAalum72
October 2nd, 2009, 06:45 AM
Obvious misreading, or intentional to suit your purpose. Re-read the opening paragraph posted here.
I don't think it's a misread when a direct quote is "Morgan State finds a way to “get ‘er done” for the second week in a row. This was a quality victory against a CAA opponent "

And does this guy write for CSN about the MEAC, or is he a shill for what he refers to as "our conference".

Identifies a little too closely with the subject IMO.

andy7171
October 2nd, 2009, 07:14 AM
Beating my Tigers is to be expected this year. I would hardly call a 12-9 win quality. We held the Bears to 150 total yards. 33 rushing WITH James playing.

andy7171
October 2nd, 2009, 07:16 AM
I'm with KAUMASS, I'm giddy waiting for this weeks CAAtoday!

YoUDeeMan
October 2nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
I don't think it's a misread when a direct quote is "Morgan State finds a way to “get ‘er done” for the second week in a row. This was a quality victory against a CAA opponent "

And does this guy write for CSN about the MEAC, or is he a shill for what he refers to as "our conference".

xnodx Bingo!

"The games against the Patriot League and the CAA are interesting because both MEAC teams that earned victories are middle of the road within our conference."

Read that as: "Hey, it wasn't even our best teams that went out there and beat the CAA and PL." Translated: "If our middle of the road teams can beat the CAA and PL, then our better teams can handle the CAA and PL also."

Attention MEAC shill...it was TOWSON, for goodness sake. Even the CAA folks don't consider Towson a "quality" win. xlolx

andy7171
October 2nd, 2009, 07:53 AM
xnodx Bingo!

"The games against the Patriot League and the CAA are interesting because both MEAC teams that earned victories are middle of the road within our conference."

Read that as: "Hey, it wasn't even our best teams that went out there and beat the CAA and PL." Translated: "If our middle of the road teams can beat the CAA and PL, then our better teams can handle the CAA and PL also."

Attention MEAC shill...it was TOWSON, for goodness sake. Even the CAA folks don't consider Towson a "quality" win. xlolx

I really hate you guys sometimes.

xcoffeex

YoUDeeMan
October 2nd, 2009, 08:03 AM

xcoffeex

xlolx

The good new/bad news is that we may soon have a lot in common. IF UD doesn't find a way to stay healthy and win a few games then people won't be looking at UD as a quality win either. xbawlingx

At that point, it is good to keep in mind that beer goggles make everyone's wins/losses look equal. xthumbsupx

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 2nd, 2009, 09:18 AM

xcoffeex

Andy look on the bright side, at least you haven't played JMU.................yet.xlolx

andy7171
October 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Andy look on the bright side, at least you haven't played JMU.................yet.xlolx

Yeah its going to be a fun year. Shoot me now.
5 of the top 7 are still on our schedule. xeekx

danefan
October 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
xnodx Bingo!

Who's the one with a "purpose"?

Thanks for the validation. I didn't misread it. The guy was apparently trying to say that the MEAC is stronger because its middle of the road teams beat teams from the CAA and Patriot.

What he fails to leave out is that Georgetown and Towson are far from being representative of either of the leagues they play in.

So, once again. I think he needs reevluate "his conference's" "quality" wins.

WestCoastAggie
October 2nd, 2009, 10:47 AM
OK, here are the questions that must be asked to the members of AGS:

Has MEAC improved from where it has been in the past few years?

Does the MEAC deserves an at-large bid?

Does the MEAC deserve the publicity it has compaired to lack of publicity for the CAA (I.E. the games on the ESPN Family of Networks)?

What would you suggest to the MEAC Commish & Member School Presidents/Chancellors to help their teams scheduling tougher schedules and increse its profile amongst those in the Playoff Selection Committee?

DFW HOYA
October 2nd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Who's the one with a "purpose"?

What he fails to leave out is that Georgetown and Towson are far from being representative of either of the leagues they play in.

The way the PL is viewed these days, Georgetown may be more representative than you think.

andy7171
October 2nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
[QUOTE=WestCoastAggie;1423181]OK, here are the questions that must be asked to the members of AGS:

Has MEAC improved from where it has been in the past few years? yes

Does the MEAC deserves an at-large bid? yes

Does the MEAC deserve the publicity it has compaired to lack of publicity for the CAA (I.E. the games on the ESPN Family of Networks)? I would think the large attendance at the classics equate to equal if not better ratings than CAA televised games

What would you suggest to the MEAC Commish & Member School Presidents/Chancellors to help their teams scheduling tougher schedules and increse its profile amongst those in the Playoff Selection Committee? it was mentioned that there are really two OOC slots to work with here if you throw out the FBS game. give up playing a D.II HBCU? I don't know how games are arranged

danefan
October 2nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
The way the PL is viewed these days, Georgetown may be more representative than you think.

You may be right, but if that is the case, it would hurt the writer's point even more.

Native
October 2nd, 2009, 11:05 AM

Shill. Doesn't even write write "for" CSN. He says so himself: "...I write for the MEAC and not the CAA..."

Interesting and helpful column, but this guy is a homer all the way.

danefan
October 2nd, 2009, 11:10 AM

Does the MEAC deserve the publicity it has compaired to lack of publicity for the CAA (I.E. the games on the ESPN Family of Networks)?

What would you suggest to the MEAC Commish & Member School Presidents/Chancellors to help their teams scheduling tougher schedules and increse its profile amongst those in the Playoff Selection Committee?

The MEAC is indeed stronger than two years ago when Del State was the representative in the playoffs.

But that has nothing to do with the wins by the middle of the road. The MEAC's improvement lies in the play of two teams: FAMU and SCSU. That's it.

PantherRob82
October 2nd, 2009, 11:20 AM
The MEAC's improvement lies in the play of two teams: FAMU and SCSU. That's it.

What have FAMU and SCSU done this year to show this improvement? Who have they played? Who do they play?

andy7171
October 2nd, 2009, 11:23 AM
The MEAC is indeed stronger than two years ago when Del State was the representative in the playoffs.

But that has nothing to do with the wins by the middle of the road. The MEAC's improvement lies in the play of two teams: FAMU and SCSU. That's it.

Well, Morgan State HAS improved dramatically over the last 10 years. They are hardly the team I played and went into halftime up by 49. I root against the Bears once a season.

danefan
October 2nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
What have FAMU and SCSU done this year to show this improvement? Who have they played? Who do they play?

I'm talking about last year as well and I'm basing my opinion on on-field performance as well as what the box scores say. Its easy to do that with FAMU and SCSU seeing them on TV.

Don't get me wrong though Rob, I'm not comparing the MEAC to anyone but the MEAC from two years ago.

KAUMASS
October 2nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
This will be settled during the first round of the playoffs for whomever the MEAC gets in. We will get a pulse on both teams in the next two weeks. FAMU has U. Miami next week and SCSU has U. South Carolina Saturday night on ESPN Classic.

R.A.
October 2nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
This intra-state rivalry between SCSU and University of South Carolina goes back several years with the Gamecocks taking a distinct advantage in the series.

The Cocks and Dawgs have only played once, with USC winning the only contest.

GannonFan
October 2nd, 2009, 02:34 PM

I'm not sure the MEAC is any better than it's been recently.

Right now, the MEAC wouldn't be in line for an at-large bid. But that changes as the year goes on and depends on who else is out there battling for at large bids. If the season ended today, no, there would be no MEAC at large. But the season is still pretty young.

I'm not sure the MEAC or the CAA gets much publicity, and neither gets enough versus the other to make a distinction.

The MEAC commish should make sure a 9 game mandate never happens in the MEAC. Other than that, start winning playoff games over multiple seasons. Nothing builds credibility like being a consistent winner in the playoffs. And nothing erodes that credibility like a long 0-fer streak in the playoffs. xthumbsupx

19Duke97
October 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
The MEAC is probably stronger than it was a few years back, but not as good as it was during the times Hampton had some really decent teams.
Still not convinced they deserve and at large bid, FAMU is borderline. The MEAC has to go to a mid pack CAA or Southern Conference team and beat them. Beating Towson and Georgetown really does not prove much other than that they can beat bottom feeders of stronger leagues.

As far as publicity goes, I am fine with what the MEAC gets, but I wish the CAA got more.
As stated, if the MEAC wants real respect, they need to satrt winning playoff games, which may happen this year as SCSU appears to have a decent team. Still TBD though...

WileECoyote06
October 2nd, 2009, 05:20 PM
The MEAC is probably stronger than it was a few years back, but not as good as it was during the times Hampton had some really decent teams.
Still not convinced they deserve and at large bid, FAMU is borderline. The MEAC has to go to a mid pack CAA or Southern Conference team and beat them. Beating Towson and Georgetown really does not prove much other than that they can beat bottom feeders of stronger leagues.

As far as publicity goes, I am fine with what the MEAC gets, but I wish the CAA got more.
As stated, if the MEAC wants real respect, they need to satrt winning playoff games, which may happen this year as SCSU appears to have a decent team. Still TBD though...

Only if there is a return trip. Or they can play at the MEAC stadium first xthumbsupx

R.A.
October 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM

Actually, Buddy Pough's SCSU team, beat Hampton on their way to the top. Hampton and Delaware State were SCSU's hump teams, and the Bulldogs have gotten over that hump finally.

Even in 2006 when Hampton had a 10-1 regular season and the Pirates made the playoffs hosting New Hampshire in the first round, the SCSU Bulldogs were Hampton;s lone defeat.

The MEAC is stronger now than during Hampton's run.

Well our bottom feeders are better than their bottom feeders this year, last year our bottom feeders weren't better than their bottom feeders. I'll take that as improvement.

The two major polls have FAMU ranked in the top 25.

Any Given Saturday still doesn't. I have a feeling that the playoff selection committee and the voters of the two major polls, have a different perception of FAMU, than the voters and fans of this website.

R.A.
October 2nd, 2009, 06:07 PM
Only if there is a return trip. Or they can play at the MEAC stadium first xthumbsupx

Right. Hampton's STILL 2-0 versus James Madision, defeating the Dukes in Harrisionburg twice already.

We have yet to see the Dukes make the trip to Armstrong Stadium.

DSUrocks07
October 2nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
This will be settled during the first round of the playoffs for whomever the MEAC gets in. We will get a pulse on both teams in the next two weeks. FAMU has U. Miami next week and SCSU has U. South Carolina Saturday night on ESPN Classic.

So OUR improved performance can only measured against FBS teams? xeyebrowx

Nice high bar that you're setting there. xrolleyesx
AGS is always good for a laugh. xlolx

We already know what the deal is...

Our conference schedule doesnt matter, because the MEAC sucks.
Our OOCs are soft, because the MEAC doesn't play "anybody" (and by "anybody" they mean anybody that is relevant to them.)
When we play a tougher schedule, and lose its because that the MEAC sucks.
When we win (or are competitive) those games, its because our opponents "kept us in the game", "sleepwalked", "was looking past us", was a "fluke", and other verbs and adjectives and inflections that belittle our accomplishments. Because, oh by the way, the MEAC sucks.
And also, because the MEAC sucks, we get placed in first round matchups with the App States, Delawares, and other #1 ranked teams with NFL caliber talent. Lose these games, and justify this so-called fact that the MEAC sucks.

So according to the people that matter, THE MEAC SUCKS xnonox

am I missing anything? xwhistlex