PDA

View Full Version : Growth of Bryant football

dgreco
October 1st, 2009, 01:43 PM
http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4257434

What makes the Bulldogs' transition unique compared to other school that have made the transition is the age of the Bryant football program.

The Bulldogs fielded their first varsity football team in 1999, and although they finished 5-4 in their inaugural season, they struggled on the field until Marty Fine was brought in from Iowa State to become their head coach in 2004.

danefan
October 1st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Bryant has done well. They are a great addition to the NEC an a perfect fit to round out the league.

dgreco
October 1st, 2009, 07:38 PM
it was a positive article and I am excited to see what "other improvements" they are making in the coming years.

PhoenixSupreme
October 1st, 2009, 08:11 PM
Bryant reminds me of FAU a bit in terms of quick football progress. Really great to see a program as new as Bryant's start out strong in it's first few years

Seawolf97
October 1st, 2009, 08:39 PM
Great article about an up and coming program! Good Luck going forwardxthumbsupx

Seahawks Fan
October 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM
Bryant has performed very well against NEC competition. They are a fine addition to the league.

Original_RMC
October 2nd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Very impressed with Bryant after falling behind early 10-0 to RMU and remaining claim. Bryant has a solid running attack and strong D. Great win on the road for Bryant.

dgreco
October 2nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
I think as we move forward our strongest point will be defense. I know last year we gave up less than 100 ypg, and this year we are on pace to do the same.

Dane96
October 2nd, 2009, 08:42 AM
That must be rushing defense....right?

dgreco
October 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
That must be rushing defense....right?

correct

Dane96
October 2nd, 2009, 09:59 AM
Yeah...I am not excited to play you guys this year (actually...I think most of the NEC is balanced this year...with a good 5 teams in the mix).

I am excited to play you next year...just because I can hop on down to Bryant...way closer to me than Boston.

Then I will cry seeing your facility compared to ours...

danefan
October 2nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
Yeah...I am not excited to play you guys this year (actually...I think most of the NEC is balanced this year...with a good 5 teams in the mix).

I am excited to play you next year...just because I can hop on down to Bryant...way closer to me than Boston.

Then I will cry seeing your facility compared to ours...

Hey, by next year our's might be better.

I had a dream last night...yes I'm so consumed with this stadium issue that I dreamt about it.....that I walked out of the PE building to where the stands are now and I was standing below a new set of bleacher that went from the side of the field to the top of the PE Building. Under those bleachers was a platform that contained new concessions and merchandise booths. Man that would be awesome. I wonder what that would cost.

dgreco
October 3rd, 2009, 07:21 AM
http://www.projo.com/college/content/sp_college_football_preview_03_10-03-09_P9FUA_v2.2d82c18.html

If you want to see why Bryant University president Ronald K. Machtley started a football program 10 years ago, make your way to Smithfield on Saturday for the 1 o’clock kickoff between the Bulldogs (2-1, 1-0 Northeast Conference) and Wagner (2-2, 1-0 NEC).

Unless inclement weather keeps the crowd down, more than 5,000 students, parents, friends and alumni will pack Bulldog Stadium and the nearby parking lots for Homecoming & Reunion Weekend. They will fire up their tailgate grills before the game, cheer the Bulldogs for 60 minutes and celebrate old friends and, they hope, another Bryant victory well into the evening.

This is the atmosphere Machtley found lacking when he became president in 1996. A star athlete in high school and quarterback of the lightweight football team at the U.S. Naval Academy in the late 1960s, Machtley knew what a well-run football program could do for a college. He knew that football energizes students and draws alumni back to campus in ways that soccer and field hockey never will. He knew that football makes headlines and highlight shows. And he knew that football would attract 100 young men to Bryant and fill dorm rooms that were empty in 1996.