PDA

View Full Version : Tailgating at VMI

elcid83
October 1st, 2009, 01:03 PM
I normally like to take in the local flavor when I visit a new place and I've never been to VMI. Is there a local place I can pick up a good tailgate menu that anyone is aware of? Thanks for the help.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Millwoch
October 1st, 2009, 04:01 PM
I normally like to take in the local flavor when I visit a new place and I've never been to VMI. Is there a local place I can pick up a good tailgate menu that anyone is aware of? Thanks for the help.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Not sure there are any keydets on this site? But last time my Bulldogs played up there we were able to park on the street about 50 yards from the stadium. There is a decent sports bar downtown about 10-15 blocks away from campus where we watched some other games and had a bite after the game. No sure about tailgating menues?

kdinva
October 1st, 2009, 06:03 PM
I can't help you directly, when I attend I usually eat in the Mess Hall........but here is a link to Lexington eats:

http://www.lexingtonvirginia.com/res.asp

ToTheLeft
October 1st, 2009, 06:20 PM
There is a downtown area right by the Institute, so you should be able to find something. We've never eaten there but I am sure there is respectable food.

Be sure to check out foamhenge!

headdressguy
October 1st, 2009, 06:39 PM
Try MacAdos; it's on Main Street and is a straight 5-10 minute walk from the stadium. 5-6ish flat screen TVs, basic bar food plus an extensive list of sandwiches. You should be able to find the menu here:

http://www.macados.net

ToTheLeft
October 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM
Ahhh, good call on Macado's. The nachos are very good, too.

elcid83
October 2nd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

October 2nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
One to stay away from...the Southern Inn on Main St. Some of the worst food I'e ever encountered!

kdinva
October 2nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
One to stay away from...the Southern Inn on Main St. Some of the worst food I'e ever encountered!
Hmmmm, interesting, the last time I ate there (1996?), it was OK. But, cooks change, etc.xsmhx

citdog
October 2nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
i was in the stinkhole known as Lexington, VA on my way to the Princeton game and had an excellent breakfast at the lexington restaurant. then rode through and saw the V@gina Military institute museum where they have "little sorrell" Gen. Jacksons horse stuffed.

kdinva
October 2nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
..... then rode through and saw the Virgina Military institute museum where they have "little sorrell", Gen. Jackson's horse, stuffed.
......and.........is that OK with you; or you gonna call PETA?xlolx

citdog
October 2nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
......and.........is that OK with you; or you gonna call PETA?xlolx

it was fine with me.....and left with 0 respect for your school....your knobs stroll around the campus with books in their RIGHT hand and looking around like they go to UVA....one of them even said "what's up man" to me.....WTF is going on up there....does vmi have NO SYSTEM anymore?

headdressguy
October 2nd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Dog-
Did you check out General Jackson's gravesite or the Lee Chapel while you were in town? I figure if anybody on AGS would be so inclined, it would be you (each has the added benefit of not being on post at VMI).

kdinva
October 2nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
it was fine with me.....and left with 0 respect for your school....your knobs stroll around the campus with books in their RIGHT hand and looking around like they go to UVA....one of them even said "what's up man" to me.....WTF is going on up there....does vmi have NO SYSTEM anymore?

Damn if I know.......xconfusedx......When I was there, we HAD to carry books in our left hand, unless it was in a full-length cast. If caught, demerit city w/confinement. Same with addressing visitors like you say. If a Rat was caught not tipping his cap to a lady, you got your butt kicked all over Rockbridge County.

citdog
October 2nd, 2009, 08:31 PM
Dog-
Did you check out General Jackson's gravesite or the Lee Chapel while you were in town? I figure if anybody on AGS would be so inclined, it would be you (each has the added benefit of not being on post at VMI).

i brought a fresh lemon to the grave of General Jackson and cut it up for him. Not only did i see the the "Shrine of the South" but got extremely pissed that the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond took the REAL Battle flags of The Army of Northern Virginia from around the leader of that army which was the finest that ever marched and only displays them 1 day out of the year.xmadxxmadxxmadx

WildPard
October 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
CitDog--Carrying books in their right hand? How dare they? But, then again, you always, always have to remember that THE Citadel and VMI are not real military academies and you cannot expect to see any more military discipline and bearing at those institutions than you would normally see at schools like UCal Berkley and Vassar or somewhere in downtown San Fran.

citdog
October 2nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
Damn if I know.......xconfusedx......When I was there, we HAD to carry books in our left hand, unless it was in a full-length cast. If caught, demerit city w/confinement. Same with addressing visitors like you say. If a Rat was caught not tipping his cap to a lady, you got your butt kicked all over Rockbridge County.

all rivalary aside......was SHOCKED at the personal appearance of the rats and the "hey i'm just a college student" attitude. asked a couple of first classmen about it and they just shook their heads and said words to the effect that the system only takes place in the barracks.

citdog
October 2nd, 2009, 09:08 PM
CitDog--Carrying books in their right hand? How dare they? But, then again, you always, always have to remember that THE Citadel and VMI are not real military academies and you cannot expect to see any more military discipline and bearing at those institutions than you would normally see at schools like UCal Berkley and Vassar or somewhere in downtown San Fran.

you're right we are NOT Federal service academies......we are TOUGHER than those places which produce Officers for the STAFF. The Citadel and VMI produce Officers for the LINE, and ALWAYS have.

WildPard
October 2nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
Blasphemy--next thing you know Shannon Faulkner Jr will be a rat!!

WildPard
October 2nd, 2009, 09:17 PM
Last time I was at THE Cit, the only officers I saw for the line were the ones training for the cafeteria line! Who do you get to make those uniforms to fit those out of shape men and women? It was a shame, but I guess the unlimited buffets were a good recruiting tool for your football team.

EmeryZach
October 2nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
Just saw an article by Pat Conroy where he said the VMI tailgate has nothing on the superior tailgate of The Citadel.

ASU_Fanatic
October 2nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
People tailgate at VMI?

kdinva
October 3rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
People tailgate at VMI?

well, yeah.........xthumbsupx

kdinva
October 3rd, 2009, 07:21 AM
all rivalary aside......was SHOCKED at the personal appearance of the rats and the "hey i'm just a college student" attitude. asked a couple of first classmen about it and they just shook their heads and said words to the effect that the system only takes place in the barracks.

Used to be the "system" took place in all of Rockbridge County. I once had a first-classman give me grief in church because he thought my shoes weren't shiny enough.xmadx

roberb7
October 3rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
Dog-

If you're into this sort of thing, you should definitely check out the house that both Jackson and Lee lived in (at different times.)

Lexington is a great town to visit if you want to see a place that hasn't been paved over with shopping malls (yet). A highlight for me was the George Marshall Museum, which is on the VMI campus.

elcid83
October 4th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the call on Macados. Chicken strips, wings, and their sandwich and we were in tailgate bliss. I really enjoyed tailgating on the parade field and taking in the VMI atmosphere. I recommend the VMI experience to all in the Big South who play there. You will fully enjoy the day there.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

headdressguy
October 4th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Glad my three years in Lexington were finally useful for something!