PDA

View Full Version : (EWU) Zach Johnson to miss entire season

Screamin_Eagle174
October 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM
A blood clot that developed following knee surgery last summer has forced returning starter Zach Johnson to miss the entire 2009 season, and his twin brother Matt Johnson will wear Zach's No. 10 jersey in honor of his fallen teammate, Eastern head coach Beau Baldwin has announced.

The blood clot developed before the start of preseason practices in August, and although he has been on blood thinners ever since, it didn't dissipate enough to allow the middle linebacker to practice or play during the first four games of the 2009 season for the 17th-ranked Eagles. A mid-October return date was originally expected for the preseason All-Big Sky Conference selection, but doctors and EWU athletic trainers determined this week that for precautionary reasons he should miss the entire season.

More (http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2009-10/releases/09fbSep30JohnsonOut)

Zach led the team in tackles last year with 96, and had 7 passes broken up. This is sad news, and it really sucks for Zach and the entire team. xnonono2x

putter
October 1st, 2009, 12:56 PM
Can he get a medical redshirt?

Screamin_Eagle174
October 1st, 2009, 01:28 PM
Can he get a medical redshirt?

He's already redshirted. Can he get a medical redshirt as well? I'm not sure.

unigriff
October 1st, 2009, 02:53 PM
I didn't know the former Master's champion went back to school to play football!

:) Sorry. I just saw ZJ and thought about how he is from my home state :) A lot of good Johnsons come out of Iowa...Zach (golf), Shawn (Gymnast), and Jay (UNI football QB). :)

danefan
October 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM
He's already redshirted. Can he get a medical redshirt as well? I'm not sure.

yes, you can get a medical redshirt if you have already redshirted. Two Albany starters this year are in their 6th year because of medical redshirts.