PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Sioux

JSUBison
October 1st, 2009, 09:20 AM
Murphy defeats His Horse Is Thunder in Standing Rock election

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/135555/

darell1976
October 1st, 2009, 09:40 AM
Murphy wanted the tribe to get a vote so maybe they get a chance to vote. Now if the State Board of Higher Education says the deadline stays...the Sioux name is gone!! But i can see them extending it at least a couple weeks if not maybe a month. We are close to winning its like a 2 minute drive and we are in the red zone!!!xthumbsupx

GeauxColonels
October 1st, 2009, 10:01 AM
Big news. Good luck!

Native
October 1st, 2009, 10:10 AM
Fantastic!

Congratulations to the lakota people.

MplsBison
October 1st, 2009, 10:17 AM
Native, I'm sure there is a reason you purposely called them Lakota when the official name of their tribe is the Standing Rock Sioux, can you explain?

The Sioux nickname is now in the hands of the state board, meeting today. The meeting was originally intended as the first meeting to retire the nickname. Now, with this vote, they could choose to extend the deadline to see if the Standing Rock will hold a vote and if this new chairman can convince the tribal council to give support for 30 years.

Native
October 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM
Native, I'm sure there is a reason you purposely called them Lakota when the official name of their tribe is the Standing Rock Sioux, can you explain?

Sure! It is my attempt to be respectful of the people.

darell1976
October 1st, 2009, 10:29 AM
Sure! My attempt to be respectful of the people. Please tell me if I am off taget.

Yes and no. There has been talk by some that they are Lakota not Sioux but the name is the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe. I think both are acceptable.

darell1976
October 1st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Just in----The nickname deadline has been extended by 30 days....a vote of 6-1!!!! New deadline Oct 31st.

CDT_Wilson
October 1st, 2009, 10:39 AM
It's sad that it is mostly white people who are offended by the use of the sioux name.

Native
October 1st, 2009, 10:43 AM
Yes and no. There has been talk by some that they are Lakota not Sioux but the name is the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe. I think both are acceptable.

Standing Rock is the name of only one of the tribes with a stake in the vote, not the name of the people.

Per my understanding, "Lakota" is actually a real word in the native language. I thought that "Lakota" was the name of the people, who I wish to congratulate, but the term may be too broad and not specific enough. Perhaps I should have chosen "Dakota," or "Yanktonai."

"Sioux" is the name of the mascot, not the real name of the people in their own language. There is obviously a long history of controversy about the word "Sioux" itself. In any case its etymology is not from the lakota/dakota language.

darell1976
October 1st, 2009, 10:52 AM
Standing Rock is the name of only one of the tribes with a stake in the vote, not the name of the people.

Per my understanding, "Lakota" is actually a real word in the native language. I thought that "Lakota" was the name of the people, who I wish to congratulate, but the term may be too broad and not specific enough. Perhaps I should have chosen "Dakota," or "Yanktonai."

"Sioux" is the name of the mascot, not the real name of the people in their own language. There is obviously a long history of controversy about the word "Sioux" itself. In any case its etymology is not from the lakota/dakota language.

Funny you said that...i heard on the radio that they have a new school on the Standing Rock Reservation and their nickname...Sioux. Why would they bash UND for the name but yet have their own school with the same name. I don't get it.

Native
October 1st, 2009, 11:04 AM
Funny you said that...i heard on the radio that they have a new school on the Standing Rock Reservation and their nickname...Sioux. Why would they bash UND for the name but yet have their own school with the same name. I don't get it.

It's like getting a nickname in college, not of your own choosing, that irritates you at first but sticks over time.

To me the important thing is that the people themselves, and not some power brokers, are voting on the issue.

darell1976
October 1st, 2009, 11:06 AM
It's like getting a nickname in college, not of your own choosing, that irritates you at first but sticks over time.

To me the important thing is that the people themselves, and not some power brokers, are voting on the issue.

Exactly!! Ron His Horse Is Thunder was dead set against a vote by the entire tribe because he knew they disagreed with him talk about a power trip. Now Charles Murphy is in a vote by the tribe or the people will be coming shortly.

Native
October 1st, 2009, 11:14 AM
Exactly!! Ron His Horse Is Thunder was dead set against a vote by the entire tribe because he knew they disagreed with him talk about a power trip. Now Charles Murphy is in a vote by the tribe or the people will be coming shortly.

Sound like Ron needs to change his name to His Horse is Small Thunder.

MplsBison
October 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM
I'm glad they extended it, stands to reason that with a new chairman there might be at least a tribal council vote.

My question: how does a new chairman only guarantee that the tribal council of the Standing Rock will agree to at least 30 years of support for the Sioux nickname?

soccerguy315
October 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM
It's sad that it is mostly white people who are offended by the use of the sioux name.

exactly. All the Indian tribes in VA were ok with W&M's feathers on the logo... but the NCAA still made us get rid of them.

MplsBison
October 1st, 2009, 11:49 AM

We are referring specifically to the Standing Rock, who voted to keep Sioux as the name of their tribe rather than switching to Oyate.

Therefore, you are incorrect.

darell1976
October 1st, 2009, 11:53 AM
I'm glad they extended it, stands to reason that with a new chairman there might be at least a tribal council vote.

My question: how does a new chairman only guarantee that the tribal council of the Standing Rock will agree to at least 30 years of support for the Sioux nickname?

The 30 year agreement which everyone should know is NOT an NCAA thing this is a SBoHE basically saying we are not going to do this every year or every time the tribal council changes. I do like that idea. I hope both the Spirit Lake (they still need to agree to the 30 year deal) and Standing Rock agree to the deal.

MplsBison
October 1st, 2009, 12:09 PM
I thought Spirit Lake voted to perpetually give UND approval of the Sioux nickname.

Thing is, what if a new tribal council comes along 5 years from now and votes against that?

Got to have a signed contract. 30 years is a good timeframe, at least.

SU Jag
October 1st, 2009, 12:31 PM

Sad!not many of the native american tribes said anything about the nicknames across the country.if they have no problem with, then why should anyone else?

darell1976
October 1st, 2009, 12:40 PM
I thought Spirit Lake voted to perpetually give UND approval of the Sioux nickname.

Thing is, what if a new tribal council comes along 5 years from now and votes against that?

Got to have a signed contract. 30 years is a good timeframe, at least.

The Spirit Lake gave them permission for the name they didn't agree or disagree on the 30 year agreement.

bkrownd
October 1st, 2009, 12:54 PM
In a perfect world in most cases we'd mandate public schools to use their (formerly) local aboriginal groups as the school nickname. It would help remind people of and connect them to our easily forgotten history, and it beats the pants off of stupid animal nicknames. It's also a bit odd that the state's name remains "North Dakota", but combining that with "Sioux" or "Lakota" or whatever is forbidden.

Funny fact - when I moved to Hawai'i I was shocked to find out that high schools here don't use local-style nicknames! Hilo High, where whites are historically a minority, is the Vikings. Nicknames like Bears (we have no bears!), Cougars (we have no cougars!), Daggers (oh noes - violent!), Spartans, etc are common. There are very few nicknames with any local flavor or meaning.

MplsBison
October 1st, 2009, 02:55 PM
The only reason they picked Sioux in the first place is because the Sioux people historically hunted Bison for food and other reasons and NDSU had just changed its nickname to Bison.

It had really nothing to do with the tribes, AFAIK.

GannonFan
October 1st, 2009, 03:56 PM
exactly. All the Indian tribes in VA were ok with W&M's feathers on the logo... but the NCAA still made us get rid of them.

And oddly, if W&M's nickname or the feathers were specific to a particular Tribe, they could've kept the feathers. The key all along was avoiding just simple references to general Native Americans and instead have targeted specific references to actual Native American tribes, and of course, get their approval. W&M's feathers were just simple, general, Native American references, hence they went. If they were done to be an exact replica of a particular VA tribe's feathers, they'd still have them today.

Jackman
October 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM
In a perfect world in most cases we'd mandate public schools to use their (formerly) local aboriginal groups as the school nickname.

That would have made us the Massachusetts Massachusetts.

Sometimes good things come out of this. "Minutemen" is a much better name than "Redmen", wouldn't trade it for any other name.

LakesBison
October 1st, 2009, 04:52 PM
EVEN if the CURRENT standing rock tribe wants it in.

guess what, in 4 years, another tribal council chairman comes in and says, WE DONT WANT THIS AGREEMENT and it gets ripped up.

its a soveriegn nation folks, they dont need to honor any agreements and thats why this is ALL A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. its' always going to linger, and people who avoid this part of the equation are simply moronic.

idiot's plain and simple:

Keep Name --- KEEP the Bull__ chants and reverse racism and racism in general

Lose name -- Same fans will keep yelling GO sioux, keep wearing the sioux jerseys and the opposing teams will come back with the sioux suck ___ chants.

ITS LOSE LOSE for you guys, and its hilarious! NO conference is dumb enough to deal with this stuff, now or in the future, period.

Native
October 1st, 2009, 06:01 PM
We are referring specifically to the Standing Rock, who voted to keep Sioux as the name of their tribe rather than switching to Oyate.

Therefore, you are incorrect.

I was referring to ALL the individual native people with a stake in the outcome, NOT the power brokers and not the separate tribes.

pcola
October 1st, 2009, 06:31 PM

guess what, in 4 years, another tribal council chairman comes in and says, WE DONT WANT THIS AGREEMENT and it gets ripped up.

its a soveriegn nation folks, they dont need to honor any agreements and thats why this is ALL A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. its' always going to linger, and people who avoid this part of the equation are simply moronic.

Lose name -- Same fans will keep yelling GO sioux, keep wearing the sioux jerseys and the opposing teams will come back with the sioux suck ___ chants.

ITS LOSE LOSE for you guys, and its hilarious! NO conference is dumb enough to deal with this stuff, now or in the future, period.
I thank God every day that you are a Bison fan and not a Sioux fan.

Sorry Bison fans, but he is yours.

JohnStOnge
October 1st, 2009, 06:34 PM
I wish we still had a political wing so I could talk about how this country is really screwed with this "sensitivity" stuff.

darell1976
October 1st, 2009, 08:15 PM

And maybe in 4 years the Native Americans will go after NDSU and the Bison which is a sacred animal. Then you won't be laughing will you.xlolx

darell1976
October 1st, 2009, 08:15 PM

xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

darell1976
October 1st, 2009, 08:29 PM

xblahblahx

YoUDeeMan
October 1st, 2009, 09:18 PM
I wish we still had a political wing so I could talk about how this country is really screwed with this "sensitivity" stuff.

There is still a Poli-wing, but there are few members. It will take a while for everyone to realize this. Send a note to the "Contact Us" line at the bottom of the page and ask them to let you in. It was written that no one is refused as a member.

It would be good to have you back. xthumbsupx

Native
October 1st, 2009, 09:19 PM
There is still a Poli-wing, but there are few members. It will take a while for everyone to realize this. Send a note to the "Contact Us" line at the bottom of the page and ask them to let you in. It was written that no one is refused as a member.

It would be good to have you back. xthumbsupx

Ditto! xthumbsupx

LakesBison
October 1st, 2009, 10:14 PM
Oh, does the truth hurt?

sorry, facts are facts, its a lose-lose situation for you guys.

TheBisonator
October 2nd, 2009, 12:15 AM

And DaveK and dlsiouxfan are yours.

So really, we're even. :D

bkrownd
October 2nd, 2009, 04:47 PM
That would have made us the Massachusetts Massachusetts.

Sometimes good things come out of this. "Minutemen" is a much better name than "Redmen", wouldn't trade it for any other name.

Minutemen is fine - at least it's historical. It's a bit awkward for the women's side though. "Redmen" isn't a nation or tribe or indicate anything of particular historical value. Something connected to e.g. the Pocumtuc local to Amherst could have been drawn on, though. I would have just kept old-style "Aggies", but they did away with that during the expansion as the focus of the campus changed. At least it isn't a damned animal.