PDA

View Full Version : If the initial FCS Top 25 Poll started today, where would your team be?

PhoenixSupreme
September 30th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I've overheard several conversations where people express feelings towards starting the initial FCS Top 25 Poll around week 5 of the season or so. This way, a team's current W-L record, as well as their strength of schedule, would have a greater factor on their Top 25 ranking throughout the season as it rises and falls. This is in contrast to the current system where teams are initally ranked based on team expectations for the season and what players they are returning, leaving some actual Top 25-worthy teams having a harder time breaking into the poll and moving up the ranks, and some actual not-Top 25-worthy teams staying in the poll a little longer than they perhaps should be.

So my question is if the initial FCS Top 25 Poll was conducted today, where would your team rank, perhaps? Would they be higher than they currently are, lower than they currently are, just breaking into the poll, or even being left out?

Personally I think Elon would be about #17-18, which is lower than where we currently are. If initial polls were conducted today, I believe that the strength of schedule of the teams we've currently played would bring us down, as I see the Ga. Southern as our current lone quality win. In addition, while it was to be expected that we would lose to Wake Forest, we lost a little worse than anticipated.

Thunderstruck84
September 30th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Hide this thread from LakesBison..... xshhhx

ASU_MBA
September 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM
GSU quality win....hahaha...maybe the joke of the day....

I was kidding....don't get all mad...GSU fans

Gil Dobie
September 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM
UNI would be a unanomous #1, with all the first place votes. xeyebrowx

GeauxColonels
September 30th, 2009, 03:46 PM
On the opposite end, in the bottom 25. :(

ValleyChamp
Gil has some sort of complex when it comes to UNI.

WestCoastAggie
It depends on the voters for each poll. The Coaches Poll would look very similar to how it looks now. The TSN Poll, on the other hand, would still be a joke because the number of voters they have and the fact that their voters are "Homers" trying to get their team(s) name in the weekly poll.

To answer your question: FAMU would be ranked #22 - #25 and SCSU would be around #20

PhoenixSupreme
September 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
GSU quality win....hahaha...maybe the joke of the day....

I know Ga. So. is having a down year this year, but I say it's a quality win. The SoCon is supposed to be more competitive than ever this year, and I've always felt that teams play harder in conference games, especially in a conference such as the SoCon. This year, I don't think there is no "gimme" games in the SoCon, so I consider it a quality win.

By the way, I'm being serious when I posed the topic question. I know Phoenixalltheway was given us Elon fans a bad rep lately, and I'm not like him at lol. xlolx I've just noticed that some people say certain teams should be higher, and other teams should be lower in polls, and I wanted to present it from this perspective.

wideright82
September 30th, 2009, 03:51 PM

I was gonna say UNI fans have some sort of complex when it comes to UNI...... but yeah.... Gil does too xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

mcveyrl
September 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I would think about where we are now. We've done what we were supposed to do. The teams ahead of us have more impressive wins (FBS mostly).

grizband
September 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Due to struggles against teams most though Montana should easily handle, the Griz would likely be slightly lower: probably top 10, rather than top 5.

th0m
September 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I would think about where we are now. We've done what we were supposed to do. The teams ahead of us have more impressive wins (FBS mostly).

I concur.

Thumper 76
September 30th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I know Ga. So. is having a down year this year, but I say it's a quality win. The SoCon is supposed to be more competitive than ever this year, and I've always felt that teams play harder in conference games, especially in a conference such as the SoCon. This year, I don't think there is no "gimme" games in the SoCon, so I consider it a quality win.

I don't know, not to bash on GSU cause I root for them when we don't play them, but I really think after their debacle up at SDSU this year really shows them to not be that quality of a win this year (I wish it was though, how impressive would that win have been had GSU come out and smoked Elon and ran the SoCon table xrolleyesx). I think they can be a trap game for any team because they look like if they pull it together they can be a nasty team, but not a quality win yet. If they pull it together yet then mabey.

Thumper 76
September 30th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I'd say SDSU should be about where they are, they haven't really had any games to test them yet to be quality wins. After this week mabey they could move up, provided they win, but we will see.

Silenoz
September 30th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I'd say the same. We've barely moved from the 5ish spot in the last four years

UNIFanSince1983
September 30th, 2009, 04:10 PM
We would be approximately where we are anywhere from 3-5

Gil Dobie
September 30th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Some UNI fans have a complex about me. xoopsx xlolx

Gil Dobie
September 30th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I was gonna say UNI fans have some sort of complex when it comes to UNI...... but yeah.... Gil does too xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Never rank UNI lower than #1, or the 4 horsemen of the Apocolypse will decend upon yee. xoopsx

ASU_MBA
September 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM
McNeese State should be higher.... that O is the real deal....defense not so much, but that O is deadly

wideright82
September 30th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Never rank UNI lower than #1, or the 4 horsemen of the Apocolypse will decend upon yee. xoopsx

Well yeah because you should get points if you believe you can do things you haven't tried.... because gosh darnit..... I'm good enough