PDA

View Full Version : FCS history question

Dukie95
September 30th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Does anyone know if an (eligible) team with a win over an FBS has ever been omitted from the playoffs?

WestCoastAggie
September 30th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Does anyone know if an (eligible) team with a win over an FBS has ever been omitted from the playoffs?

Why does this have the smell of FAMU all over it?

danefan
September 30th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Why does this have the smell of FAMU all over it?

It has nothing to do with FAMU. FAMU doesn't have an FBS win and they aren't likely to get one against Miami either.

It has to do with the great potential that a CAA team with an FBS win could end up with 4 conference losses and likely out of the playoffs.

Dukie95
September 30th, 2009, 01:25 PM
It has nothing to do with FAMU. FAMU doesn't have an FBS win and they aren't likely to get one against Miami either.

It has to do with the great potential that a CAA team with an FBS win could end up with 4 conference losses and likely out of the playoffs.

xthumbsupx

Yep...just wondering if it's ever happened before, because it could happen this year.

danefan
September 30th, 2009, 01:28 PM
In 2006 Montana State got in at 7-4 with an FBS win (Colorad) and most speculated that the only reason they got in was because of that win alone (because they actually had a loss to DII Chadron State that year).

Shellin
September 30th, 2009, 01:29 PM
In 2006 Portland State beat the University of New Mexico and finished the regular season 7-4 (with 2 of their losses coming to Cal and Oregon) and were left out of the playoffs.

WestCoastAggie
September 30th, 2009, 01:30 PM

You don't have to be a butthole about this. xlolx xthumbsupx
BTW: FAMU moved up to FBS play earlier this century and incured a crazy amount of Violations in their Athletic Dept and I believe they had wins vacated from their experience.

OL FU
September 30th, 2009, 01:30 PM
1984 Furman team beat NC State 34-30 went 8-3 and did not go to the playoffs.

1985 team beat NC STate 42-20 and NC State promptly hired our coach:(

danefan
September 30th, 2009, 01:31 PM
You don't have to be a butthole about this. xlolx xthumbsupx
BTW: FAMU moved up to FBS play earlier this century and incured a crazy amount of Violations in their Athletic Dept and I believe they had wins vacated from their experience.

Sorry - I didn't see any sarcasm in your earlier post. I thought you were being serious.

89Hen
September 30th, 2009, 01:31 PM
1985 Delaware had TWO wins over I-A (Navy and Temple) but was 7-4 on the season and did not make the field. xpeacex

WestCoastAggie
September 30th, 2009, 01:32 PM

FAMU beat MIAMI in 1979. xwhistlex

danefan
September 30th, 2009, 01:35 PM
FAMU beat MIAMI in 1979. xwhistlex

Huh?

I thought we were talking about this year. You got me all confused Aggie.

WestCoastAggie
September 30th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Huh?

I thought we were talking about this year. You got me all confused Aggie.
My bad! Let me clear this up for you.

1.) FAMU defeated MIAMI in 1979.
2.) Of course FAMU travels to The U next weekend.
3. ) I was trying to be funny! I guess it didn't work. xnonono2x

Dukie95
September 30th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the responses. While I know it's a soft requirement, did those teams get 7 D-I wins?

Khan4Cats
September 30th, 2009, 01:40 PM
UNI beat Ohio in 1999, finished 8-3 but did not make the play-offs. 2 wins were against sub D-I.

UNI beat Eastern Michigan in 1998, finished 7-4, did not make the field. 1 sub D-I win.

UNI beat Kansas State in 1989, finished 8-3, did not make field. 2 sub D-I wins.

Of course, last year was the first year that UNI made the field as an at-large, also. So FBS wins really haven't meant anything towards the playoffs for UNI, we've learned we have to take care of business in conference.

GannonFan
September 30th, 2009, 01:42 PM
UNI beat Ohio in 1999, finished 8-3 but did not make the play-offs. 2 wins were against sub D-I.

UNI beat Eastern Michigan in 1998, finished 7-4, did not make the field. 1 sub D-I win.

UNI beat Kansas State in 1989, finished 8-3, did not make field. 2 sub D-I wins.

Of course, last year was the first year that UNI made the field as an at-large, also. So FBS wins really haven't meant anything towards the playoffs for UNI, we've learned we have to take care of business in conference.

Well, you learned that and also not to schedule more than 1 sub D-I team a year! :p

89Hen
September 30th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the responses. While I know it's a soft requirement, did those teams get 7 D-I wins?
Not sure when that became a guideline.

I-AA Fan
September 30th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Several IA wins for YSU in losing and non-play-off seasons.

danefan
September 30th, 2009, 03:15 PM
My bad! Let me clear this up for you.

1.) FAMU defeated MIAMI in 1979.
2.) Of course FAMU travels to The U next weekend.
3. ) I was trying to be funny! I guess it didn't work. xnonono2x

You need to put the sarcasm code in ___

Sorry - I'm a little slow. :D

OL FU
September 30th, 2009, 03:18 PM

The year mention for Furman we were 8-3, all DI games except a victory of PC.

Our losses were to UTC, WCU and ASU. 7 DI wins. Not sure what place we finished in the conference and since there were only 12 teams ( I think) in the playoffs we probably didn't deserve the playoffs.

URMite
September 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Not sure but I think there was a team that started 2006 at 5-1 with a BCS shutout but didn't make the playoffs at 6-5. xeyebrowx

Not sure who it could be. xlolx

wideright82
September 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Not sure but I think there was a team that started 2006 at 5-1 with a BCS shutout but didn't make the playoffs at 6-5. xeyebrowx

Not sure who it could be. xlolx

xlolxxlolxxlolx You're welcome for starting that implosion.

aust42
September 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM
1985 Delaware had TWO wins over I-A (Navy and Temple) but was 7-4 on the season and did not make the field. xpeacex

The most underacheiving team in Delaware history. We had 8 guys drafted or signed as free agents on that squad. (Gannon was the only one who made a team)

To be fair to the playoff committee, the playoff field was expanded from 12 to 16 teams in 1986. No way a team with four losses was gonna make the playoffs prior to 1986.

EKU05
September 30th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Not sure when that became a guideline.

It was only a few years ago. Previously they had used the same "in danger of" language but the number was more than 3 losses instead of a number of wins. I think they decided that basing the guidline on losses could encourage teams to schedule multiple sub DI teams.

JayJ79
October 1st, 2009, 01:01 AM

Somewhere I heard that the Gateway Conference didn't get an automatic playoff bid in 1985, so UNI technically got an at-large in that year. But I don't know if that's actually true or not, and I don't know where to research that at.

Also, I'm guessing that if UNI had made that last FG against Iowa State in '06, they probably would have gotten an at-large playoff bid that year, even with their loss to D2 UND. Of course, if they hadn't lost to a bad WIU team at home that year, it would have been a moot point anyway as they would have gotten the autobid. But anyway......

JayJ79
October 1st, 2009, 01:08 AM
An FBS win shouldn't have any more weight in playoff selection than a good FCS win does.

JALMOND
October 1st, 2009, 01:23 AM
In 2006 Portland State beat the University of New Mexico and finished the regular season 7-4 (with 2 of their losses coming to Cal and Oregon) and were left out of the playoffs.

In 2006, the committee said that instead of the unwritten rule of 4 losses and you're out, they would consider a team with 7 wins. As mentioned, Portland State had the required seven DI wins (6-2 FCS, 1-2 FBS) including a win over New Mexico (who not only went to a bowl that year but won their bowl game) yet was passed over for the playoffs. We were eligible, but were not selected.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2009, 01:53 AM
It basically came down to Montana State getting in at 7-4 over Portland State, because Montana State beat PSU head--to-head. There is a lot of documentation from Big Sky sources and committee sources on that. Montana State had the win over Colorado that year and the loss to Chadron State in the next game.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 1st, 2009, 02:09 AM
In 2006 Montana State got in at 7-4 with an FBS win (Colorad) and most speculated that the only reason they got in was because of that win alone (because they actually had a loss to DII Chadron State that year).

xlolxxnodx

JALMOND
October 1st, 2009, 12:10 PM
It basically came down to Montana State getting in at 7-4 over Portland State, because Montana State beat PSU head--to-head. There is a lot of documentation from Big Sky sources and committee sources on that. Montana State had the win over Colorado that year and the loss to Chadron State in the next game.

The thread asked if there was ever an eligible FCS team that was left home from the playoffs after winning against an FBS team. PSU was eligible, they beat New Mexico, and stayed home. No disputing that.

At the time, yes there was talk that Montana State "stole" PSU's spot in the playoffs. But after it played out, with the Bobcats winning in the first round against Furman, the word on the street was that maybe that was the year the Big Sky should have got three teams in to the playoffs.

No matter. It's over and done with and everyone has moved on. I just brought it up in answering the thread. Did not mean to open old wounds.

Husky Alum
October 1st, 2009, 12:30 PM
Northeastern beat UConn in their transition year to FBS (2000) and finished the season 4-7.

Native
October 29th, 2009, 12:20 AM

Exactly so. Good post!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I know it's Buffalo but Lehigh beat the Bulls in 2002 and moved to #2 in the country. Then they got hit with a ton of injuries and finished 8-4 and out of the field of 16.

Native
October 29th, 2009, 01:37 AM
The thread asked if there was ever an eligible FCS team that was left home from the playoffs after winning against an FBS team. PSU was eligible, they beat New Mexico, and stayed home. No disputing that.

At the time, yes there was talk that Montana State "stole" PSU's spot in the playoffs. But after it played out, with the Bobcats winning in the first round against Furman, the word on the street was that maybe that was the year the Big Sky should have got three teams in to the playoffs.

No matter. It's over and done with and everyone has moved on. I just brought it up in answering the thread. Did not mean to open old wounds.

Big Sky did get three teams in the post season 2003, did they not?

Go Apps
October 29th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I would think so - but ASU tied Wake Forest in the late 80's we finished with a 7-3-1 record and was left out of the playoffs - Wake also paid the price as they lost their bowl bid to the Liberty Bowl due to the tie