PDA

View Full Version : PantherRob82's FCS Update Blog: "Battle for the CAA: Take 1"

wideright82
September 29th, 2009, 01:07 PM
The CAA has come out strong. So strong that the top teams in the conference have a combined fourFBS wins. Those teams have also combined for a 15-0 record and are receiving at least one vote in one of the three major polls.
This week is the first chance we have to start sorting things out at the top.
Saturday at 3:30pm EST, William and Marywill take the field at Villanova Stadium against the Wildcats..... cont'd in link

FCS Update (http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/blog/)

Phoenixalltheway
September 29th, 2009, 01:14 PM
CAA IS SO DAMN OVERRATED

Pitz
September 29th, 2009, 01:15 PM
CAA IS SO DAMN OVERRATED

"The five CAA Football squads among the national Top-7 are a combined 9-0 against non-conference FCS foes this season. Those same teams have also compiled an unblemished 30-0 record in non-league regular-season FCS games since the 2007 season."

xrulesx

YoUDeeMan
September 29th, 2009, 01:22 PM
CAA IS SO DAMN OVERRATED

xlolx

If it weren't for one - ONE - team in the razor thin SoCon, a few more CAA teams (notice the plural) would have had titles lately.

wideright82
September 29th, 2009, 01:25 PM
CAA IS SO DAMN OVERRATED

Please leave smack in your smack thread. Post Reported.

danefan
September 29th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Please leave smack in your smack thread. Post Reported.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolx

aust42
September 29th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Now is when the CAA starts beating up on each other.

EmeryZach
September 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Yeah, things are going to start to get ugly and then everyone is going to go, "See, see, I told you the CAA was overrated!"

Dukie95
September 29th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Saw this on caasports.com today:

-- The five CAA Football squads among the national Top-7 are a combined 9-0 against non-conference FCS foes this season. Those same teams have also compiled an unblemished 30-0 record in non-league regular-season FCS games since the 2007 season.

BDKJMU
September 29th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Wrong- this is the Battle For the CAA, Take 3:

Take 1 was UR over UD by a point.
Take 2 was W&M over UD.

Take 3 Oct 3:--W&M @ Nova
Take 4 Oct 10: Nova @ UNH
Take 5-----------UR @ JMU
Take 6-----------UMass @ UD
Take 7 Oct 17: Nova @ JMU
Take 8-----------UNH @ UMass
Take 9 Oct 24: JMU @ W&M
Take 10---------UMass @ UR
Take 11 Oct 31:JMU @ UD
Take 12 Nov 7: Nova @ UR
Take 13 Nov 14:JMU @ UMass
Take 14----------W&M @ UNH
Take 15 Nov 21:W&M @ UR
Take 16----------UD @ Nova

And still one more I-A game with UD @ Navy....

And no one is out of the race till they have a 3rd CAA loss. And even if UD is out of the race, they are capable of pulling an upset over one of the other 6 contenders, as evidenced by their game with UR.

danefan
September 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Wrong- this is the Battle For the CAA, Take 3:

Take 1 was UR over UD by a point.
Take 2 was W&M over UD.

Take 3 Oct 3:--W&M @ Nova
Take 4 Oct 10: Nova @ UNH
Take 5-----------UR @ JMU
Take 6-----------UMass @ UD
Take 7 Oct 17: Nova @ JMU
Take 8-----------UNH @ UMass
Take 9 Oct 24: JMU @ W&M
Take 10---------UMass @ UR
Take 11 Oct 31:JMU @ UD
Take 12 Nov 7: Nova @ UR
Take 13 Nov 14:JMU @ UMass
Take 14----------W&M @ UNH
Take 15 Nov 21:W&M @ UR
Take 16----------UD @ Nova

And still one more I-A game with UD @ Navy....

And no one is out of the race till they have a 3rd CAA loss. And even if UD is out of the race, they are capable of pulling an upset over one of the other 6 contenders, as evidenced by their game with UR.

A 3rd CAA loss won't even put teams out of it this year. If, for example, Richmond finishes 8-3 with loses to W&M, Villanova and UMass, I would be willing to bet they still get in.

BDKJMU
September 29th, 2009, 06:34 PM
A 3rd CAA loss won't even put teams out of it this year. If, for example, Richmond finishes 8-3 with loses to W&M, Villanova and UMass, I would be willing to bet they still get in.

I was referring to winning the CAA. Likely the AQ will go to a 7-1 team, but there is a chance that no-one will finish better than 6-2 in the league, and you could have a 3-4 way tie for 1st at 6-2. Thats what I meant by no-one is out of it (winning the CAA) till they get a 3rd CAA loss.

Yeah, UR, Nova, W&M, and UNH would make the playoffs at 8-3/5-3

JMU and UMass would have to go 8-3/6-2.

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 29th, 2009, 07:41 PM
It's definitely heating up as the current top teams take on each other in the coming weeks. JMU should get by Hofstra this weekend and then welcome UR to Bridgeforth, a game which is already sold out, but also has the home team taking the loss going back several years.

You have to love this time of the season when the heavy weights start to clash.

Go Dukes

Jackman
September 29th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Saw this on caasports.com today:

-- The five CAA Football squads among the national Top-7 are a combined 9-0 against non-conference FCS foes this season. Those same teams have also compiled an unblemished 30-0 record in non-league regular-season FCS games since the 2007 season.

UMass is also undefeated in that category over that period of time (7-0). In fact, since the 1994 loss to Youngstown St., the only regular season loss we've had to an opponent not in our conference was the horrible 2005 game at Colgate in which we outgained them 451 to 167 but had 8 turnovers and lost by 3.

(I'm cheating a little bit in that second sentence above, because UMass did have losses to conference members that were technically counted as non-conference games, and I think we lost to Hofstra just before they joined the conference.)

Pantherpower
September 30th, 2009, 06:14 AM
W&M's away conference slate is brutal....@Nova, @UNH, @Richmond....tough sledding!

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 30th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Going into the season I (and a couple others) felt that UNH playoff hopes were tied directly to 4 key games. @Ball St, Villanova, @ UMass, and @WM. Go at least 500 in those 4 games and we'd be in good shape for a bid.

I think most CAA teams have a simmilar set of games. (some may have 5 or 6xeekx)

Dukie95
September 30th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Going into the season I (and a couple others) felt that UNH playoff hopes were tied directly to 4 key games. @Ball St, Villanova, @ UMass, and @WM. Go at least 500 in those 4 games and we'd be in good shape for a bid.

I think most CAA teams have a simmilar set of games. (some may have 5 or 6xeekx)

You've beaten Ball State, now you can lose the others and still get a bit. UNH is interesting because they can still get 8 wins without having to beat Nova, Umass or W&M. They've got the easiest path to 8-3 of anyone else in the CAA.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 30th, 2009, 07:21 AM
You've beaten Ball State, now you can lose the others and still get a bit. UNH is interesting because they can still get 8 wins without having to beat Nova, Umass or W&M. They've got the easiest path to 8-3 of anyone else in the CAA.

Yes, but you forgotten two important things.
1) that would leave us at 8-3 with only 1 "quality win" (some may argue not even one). If there was a log jam at 8-3 we may be out.

2) our annual "hickup game"....it seems we lose one every year that I just can't figure out:(

tribe_pride
September 30th, 2009, 07:47 AM
W&M's away conference slate is brutal....@Nova, @UNH, @Richmond....tough sledding!

That actually is not right. Of the top 6, we host UNH and JMU. We go to Villanova and Richmond and Richmond is within an hour at a big rivalry game during the last week of the season so we can get our fans there as needed.

The other 2 I included in the top 6 were UMass who we don't play this year and W&M (and we don't play with ourselves )

wideright82
September 30th, 2009, 09:19 AM
That actually is not right. Of the top 6, we host UNH and JMU. We go to Villanova and Richmond and Richmond is within an hour at a big rivalry game during the last week of the season so we can get our fans there as needed.

The other 2 I included in the top 6 were UMass who we don't play this year and W&M (and we don't play with ourselves )

Yeah we have @UNH, @Richmond, and @JMU..... THAT is a fun road schedule

purplepeopleeaterv2
September 30th, 2009, 09:58 AM
JMU had to run that gauntlet last year except we had App State instead of UNH. Glad that's behind us until next year.

JMUNJ08
September 30th, 2009, 12:09 PM
All I know is I am excited for a great conference slate. Every team in the CAA South has a crazy schedule. JMU is @UD, @UMASS and @W&M with home games of NOVA and UR. Feels good to be home doesn't it? Many might feel that the schedule this year is kinder but I disagree as you need to win your home games and road L's are easier to swallow. JMU might have the home field but NOVA and UR know that does not always help and reflects worse on the committee than a tough road loss.

The EASY games are @Hofstra (JMU doesn't play too well up north minus UNH a few years back) and home to Maine (very hot and cold so far) and Towson (which might be the only team considered to be chalked up as a win). JMU may not be as highly regarded this year but all the games have great potential to be classic tilts.

Good luck to all and CAA games should be nationally televised!

Eight Legger
September 30th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I am willing to go out on a limb and predict that Delaware is officially out of the playoff picture.

GannonFan
September 30th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I am willing to go out on a limb and predict that Delaware is officially out of the playoff picture.

No, not officially. Delaware wins out from here they go 9-2 and make the playoffs, and even a UD team that goes 8-3 will be a good shot to make the playoffs (no UD team that's gone 8-3 has been left out of the playoffs once the field expanded to 16, and all of those teams played West Chester as well).

Now unofficially, and realistically, I strongly doubt UD's making the playoffs. UD does get UMass and JMU in Newark, so that's a plus, and obviously we are done playing W&M and Richmond, but we do have Navy and nova on the road to end the year. But nothing official has been decided yet. xthumbsupx