PDA

View Full Version : Southern's "Home Game" in Jackson Mississippi

jstate83
September 29th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Interesting article about the game and where the "powers that be" want it to go.
They also have some str8 to the point quotes from SU people that don't want this.
If memorial is full Saturday, and judging by the sunny sky's and upper 70's temperature it probably will be, this is going to get more interesting.

How would you react to the prospect of moving one of the biggest, if not the biggest game on your conference schedule to your conference foe's stadium every year.
Neutral sites like the Superdome is one thing but Memorial is JSU's home turf.
As you can imagine, JSU fans and the City of Jackson are all for it.
It's Tuesday and they already have the tailgate areas set up for tomorrow when people start pulling in.

Southern sacrifices comforts of Baton Rouge for cold cash. (http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090929/SPORTS030101/909290348/1287/SPORTS&referrer=SPORTSCAROUSEL)

All those in favor of holding the Southern University-Jackson State football game at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium every year raise your hand.
Everyone in blue and white please sit down, we already counted you. Two hands are just one vote Mr. Braddy, even for the JSU athletic director. By the way, nice watch Bob.

There's a little blue and gold in the room. Oh, that's Southern athletic director Greg LaFleur raising his hand - despite that intimidating glare from coach Pete Richardson. ...
This scenario could become a reality if certain officials have their way.

Bigmoneymike
September 29th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Very intrested to see if the "nation" travels to jackson. People are really upset by the move and attendance at home has been lackluster to say the least.

jstate83
September 29th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Very intrested to see if the "nation" travels to jackson. People are really upset by the move and attendance at home has been lackluster to say the least.

This article is not going to make them any less upset.
Businesses around here are acting like they been handed an early Christmas present.
All the Hotels in Jackson announced 2 weeks ago that anybody traveling to Jackson for a SWAC game will get a room discount.
That's at any hotel IN JACKSON.

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Money talks...and if Southern is set to make $700k and in 2010, will make enough to cover their travel expenses for the year - why not? It's good to be in the black for the SU athletic program, especially since so many Div I football programs stare at the red...

Southern plays a "home" game Saturday against Jackson State at JSU's home stadium. LaFleur agreed in the summer to move the game from 28,000-seat Mumford Stadium in Baton Rouge to the 60,492-seat Veterans Memorial Stadium in Jackson in hopes of making more money.

Southern will receive 80 percent of the net revenue from Saturday's game. Next year, as the home team, JSU will receive 80 percent. A long-term agreement could be in the works if the weekend goes well.

"You'd rather stay here, but we can't maximize what the game offers at our stadium," LaFleur said. "This is no different than the Bayou Classic."

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090929/SPORTS030101/909290348/1287/SPORTS&referrer=SPORTSCAROUSEL

3rd Coast Tiger
September 29th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Would a Moderator please delete this thread as one as already been created.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64305

jstate83
September 29th, 2009, 03:29 PM
bump :D

WestCoastAggie
September 29th, 2009, 03:50 PM
The money sounds nice but who says that SU can't make that money with other home games (FAMU & an SLC team)

mikebigg
September 29th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Hmmm...now that yall mentioning this, maybe Grambling and Valley needs to consider playing in Jackson as a neutral site.

jstate83
September 29th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Hmmm...now that yall mentioning this, maybe Grambling and Valley needs to consider playing in Jackson as a neutral site.

No problem with us. xlolx
Come one.........Come all.
Jackson State getting a slice of the pie no matter who play's there.xnodx

txstatebobcat
September 29th, 2009, 06:27 PM
How many Southern fans are expected to go to Jackson?

SU Jag
September 29th, 2009, 06:32 PM
How many Southern fans are expected to go to Jackson?

We usually bring 20,000-25,000 to Jack-town

SU Jag
September 29th, 2009, 06:37 PM
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/123/l_bcf5b033be63b3a57072467d73be0914.jpg

Its on!

3rd Coast Tiger
September 29th, 2009, 06:41 PM
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/123/l_bcf5b033be63b3a57072467d73be0914.jpg

Its on!

Hey what "official" attendance number did the local Jackson Kiwanas throw out for this game? 34,000? xrolleyesx Sad how they be coming up with those figures.

SU Jag
September 29th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Hey what "official" attendance number did the local Jackson Kiwanas throw out for this game? 34,000? xrolleyesx Sad how they be coming up with those figures.

Yeah, you know they always throw out some krazy number like thatxcoffeex Same shullbit, every year!xrolleyesx

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 29th, 2009, 06:50 PM

42,000 xsmhx

SU Jag
September 29th, 2009, 06:52 PM
42,000 xsmhx

keep in mind that memorial seats 60,000+! Do you see 20,000+ empty seats anywhere in that pic? And that pic was taken in the middle of the 4th quarter.

SU Jag
September 29th, 2009, 06:54 PM
The TakeOver!xthumbsupx

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/90/l_f3a140a3105145fe81d354b10e5f80bf.jpg

Native
September 29th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Alcorn always plays their in-state conference foe Jackson State in Jackson at Memorial for the Capital City Classic.

ASU and JSU just take turns being the "home" team.

It didn't hurt 'em in 2006. The Brave(s) won before 45,000.

The way J-State seems to be playing this year, it probably won't hurt anyone else, either.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 29th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Alcorn always plays their in-state conference foe Jackson State in Jackson at Memorial for the Capital City Classic.

ASU and JSU just take turns being the "home" team.

It didn't hurt 'em in 2006. The Brave(s) won before 45,000.

The way J-State seems to be playing this year, it probably won't hurt anyone else, either.

SU actually plays better on the road, for some strange reason. I think SU's crowd is into the game more on the road.

SU Jag
September 29th, 2009, 08:15 PM
SU actually plays better on the road, for some strange reason. I think SU's crowd is into the game more on the road.

True. As a player I liked going to memorial, the dome was okay too!

WUTNDITWAA
September 29th, 2009, 08:38 PM
As someone totally unfamiliar with the scene, I have to ask why the game can't be played at LSU one weekend when the Tigers aren't in town?

SU Jag
September 29th, 2009, 08:53 PM
As someone totally unfamiliar with the scene, I have to ask why the game can't be played at LSU one weekend when the Tigers aren't in town?

Great point. But Mumford is capable of holding the SU/JSU game. Now tickets will be hard to come by but it could be done. It has been done and it should have been done this year. xnodx

WUTNDITWAA
September 29th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I agree. Even worse than when Auburn and Alabama would either play in Tuscaloosa or Birmingham, but not at Auburn.

SU Jag
September 29th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I agree. Even worse than when Auburn and Alabama would either play in Tuscaloosa or Birmingham, but not at Auburn.

Other way around. The game rotated between Auburn and Birmingham. Alabama didnt host the game at Bryant-Denny until the 2000 season.

Bigmoneymike
September 29th, 2009, 09:35 PM

No way j state could bring enough people down to br for that to happen. I think the move works at jackson b/c southern travels so well. They tried having the game in new orleans a couple of years but......

Why dont j state fans come down to br in big numbers?

WUTNDITWAA
September 29th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Other way around. The game rotated between Auburn and Birmingham. Alabama didnt host the game at Bryant-Denny until the 2000 season.

Oh, my bad. I knew it was skewed one way over the other.

WUTNDITWAA
September 29th, 2009, 09:39 PM
No way j state could bring enough people down to br for that to happen. I think the move works at jackson b/c southern travels so well. They tried having the game in new orleans a couple of years but......

I have one more question. Is this game part of the Southern season ticket package? If not, your most loyal customers got tooked.xreadx

R.A.
September 30th, 2009, 02:14 AM

No surprise here.

R.A.
September 30th, 2009, 02:15 AM
True. As a player I liked going to memorial, the dome was okay too!

So, what was wrong with Mumford?

R.A.
September 30th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Great point. But Mumford is capable of holding the SU/JSU game. Now tickets will be hard to come by but it could be done. It has been done and it should have been done this year. xnodx

xthumbsupx You're right.

R.A.
September 30th, 2009, 02:18 AM

Or the bigger question... why don't Southern fans go to Baton Rouge in Big Numbers??

jstate83
September 30th, 2009, 10:02 AM
keep in mind that memorial seats 60,000+! Do you see 20,000+ empty seats anywhere in that pic? And that pic was taken in the middle of the 4th quarter.
That is not a photo of the SU/JSU game in the Clarion Ledger article.
That photo in the article is from this past Sunday's Battle of the Bands.
There were 53,000 plus in attendance.

There are no WHITE JSU shirt's to be seen in that photo and no football personel on the sideline.

jstate83
September 30th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Why in the world would JSU come down to Baton Rougue in huge numbers just to sit in the parking lot.xconfusedx
If I don't have a ticket, I don't even consider traveling to Baton Rougue.

The 2,000 ticket's SU send to Jackson are gone withing hours.
Whatever ticket's can be bought are bought online.
At best we will snap up 5,000 ticket's to get into Mumford.
Ya'll bearly give the band room to be seated.
I ask again, why in the world would we travel to Mumford in huge numbers knowing ahead of time those 28,000 tickets have sold long ago.

WestCoastAggie
September 30th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Why in the world would JSU come down to Baton Rougue in huge numbers just to sit in the parking lot.xconfusedx
If I don't have a ticket, I don't even consider traveling to Baton Rougue.

The 2,000 ticket's SU send to Jackson are gone withing hours.
Whatever ticket's can be bought are bought online.
At best we will snap up 5,000 ticket's to get into Mumford.
I ask again, why in the world would we travel to Mumford in huge numbers knowing ahead of time those 28,000 been gone.

To parking lot pimp? xlolx

jstate83
September 30th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Forget that.xlolx
If I don't have a ticket, I'm not going and that's the attitude of JSU fans.
Why give yourself a headache in all that traffic funneling to Mumford just to sit outside and listen to the game on the radio.
I can be my own Backyard BBQ pimp at home in Jackson. xlolx

jstate83
September 30th, 2009, 10:14 AM
The TakeOver!xthumbsupx

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/90/l_f3a140a3105145fe81d354b10e5f80bf.jpg

Right.xlolx
ya'll sure took over MEMORIAL wearing all them WHITE JSU SHIRTS from top to bottom all the way around the horse shoe. xlolx

SU Jag
September 30th, 2009, 02:59 PM
That is not a photo of the SU/JSU game in the Clarion Ledger article.
That photo in the article is from this past Sunday's Battle of the Bands.
There were 53,000 plus in attendance.

There are no WHITE JSU shirt's to be seen in that photo and no football personel on the sideline.

The pic I posted is from the 2006 jsu/su game.this is one of the pics that kevin took! Take a closer look. You don't see the teams on the field and the jukebox sitting on su's side of the stadium?

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 30th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Right.xlolx
ya'll sure took over MEMORIAL wearing all them WHITE JSU SHIRTS from top to bottom all the way around the horse shoe. xlolx

You can keep lying to yourself, but even your own fans admitted it. SMH xsmhx.

jstate83
September 30th, 2009, 03:07 PM
You can keep lying to yourself, but even your own fans admitted it. SMH xsmhx.

Yeah dude.
Ya'll gonna buy up all the tickets and JSU will be lucky to get 2,000 in memorial.
It's like that every year ya'll come to memorial.
Everybody in the stadium is a SU fan including Jackson Police and Hinds County Sherriff's. xlolx

Bigmoneymike
October 2nd, 2009, 12:16 AM
Yeah dude.
Ya'll gonna buy up all the tickets and JSU will be lucky to get 2,000 in memorial.
It's like that every year ya'll come to memorial.
Everybody in the stadium is a SU fan including Jackson Police and Hinds County Sherriff's. xlolx

Whats Jstates attendance at other home games compared to when southern comes to town? Also your saying that jstate only gets 2,000 tickets for the game in southern. Maybe thats b/c they know your fans wont travel. What was the excuse for not coming to new orleans when the game was played there? xcoffeex

Bigmoneymike
October 2nd, 2009, 12:19 AM
Or the bigger question... why don't Southern fans go to Baton Rouge in Big Numbers??

I'm sure there are a number of factors that are involved. Mainly I think people are annoyed with the administration for ticket prices and other things. Even though attendance is down its still better than most schools is the division. Besides road trips are way cooler.

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 2nd, 2009, 09:15 AM

Read my mind xlolx