Princeton

Not ready to jump on the Columbia bandwagon yet, IT xlolx

Pards Rule
September 29th, 2009, 03:32 PM
How bout the Pardmobile then Bulldog xlolx

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Not ready to jump on the Columbia bandwagon yet, IT xlolx

I'd love to see the Lions humble the Tigers, and I almost picked them, but a little voice said, "Not yet, Birdbrain!":D

DJOM
September 29th, 2009, 09:00 PM
The Tigers open the Ivy Season with a win over the Lions. Princeton by 14.

Defense will shut Columbia down.

If you score, you may win...If they never score, you will never lose.

bulldog10jw
September 30th, 2009, 02:01 PM
How bout the Pardmobile then Bulldog xlolx

I hoping to put the hex on the Pards by picking them.

It should work, everyone I take in the football pools I'm in loses. It's worth a shot. xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
September 30th, 2009, 02:29 PM
The Tigers open the Ivy Season with a win over the Lions. Princeton by 14.

Defense will shut Columbia down.

If you score, you may win...If they never score, you will never lose.

Attributed to Mike Ditka.xcoolx

Pards Rule
September 30th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I hoping to put the hex on the Pards by picking them.

It should work, everyone I take in the football pools I'm in loses. It's worth a shot. xthumbsupx

Well, it MAY work...I'm not as certain about this game if Curley sits with the concussion. Vegas has it +1 for Yale...It would be nice for my first visit to New Haven (other than flying by on 95 & 91) for LC to win its first Yale game. xsmiley_wix

colorless raider
September 30th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Dartmouth
Lafayette
Brown
Columbia
Colgate
Harvard

Ivytalk
September 30th, 2009, 03:17 PM
DartmouthLafayette
Brown
Columbia
Colgate
Harvard

Are you on crack?xeekxxlolx

the last indian
September 30th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I do know the colorless one is not on crack, so if he is right, then Colgate is better than I am now thinking they are. So Datrmouth is possibly under appreciated and the quality of Gate's win in Hannover looks better. I will say after looking at the Big Green roster they are stocked with freshmen and sophomores. With a bit of experience they will get better, but it seems a bit early to overcome Penn IMO.

danefan
September 30th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Lafayette over Yale
Rhode Island over Brown
Lehigh over Harvard
Colgate over Cornell
Columbia by 5 TD's over Princeton

And no I didn't forget one:

Penn at Dartmouth - TIE

xreadx

RichH2
September 30th, 2009, 04:43 PM
danefan,

Love yur picks.

danefan
September 30th, 2009, 04:59 PM
danefan,

Love yur picks.

Thanks. I worked hard on them.

I was ready to pick Dartmouth in OT, I swear. But then I found out that immediately after the Harvard OT win last week, the IVY Presidents decided to ban overtime. Something about overtime cutting into study time.

bonarae
September 30th, 2009, 06:30 PM

I was ready to pick Dartmouth in OT, I swear. But then I found out that immediately after the Harvard OT win last week, the IVY Presidents decided to ban overtime. Something about overtime cutting into study time.

Not again, tsk tsk. xsmhx
The Presidents keep on ignoring our suggestions and go their own way. xrulesx

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 30th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Penn 34 at Dartmouth 21 Buddy's boys are getting better on offense. No D in sight, however.
Lafayette 21 at Yale 20. Pards continue to surprise.
Rhode Island 24 at Brown 21 (OT). CAA mediocre beats Ivy Group mediocre every time.
Harvard 24 at Lehigh 21. Ivy Group good tiptoes past Patriot average every time.
Cornell 10 at Colgate 45. Patriot excellent is a lock over Ivy Group weak every time.
Columbia 10 at Princeton 11. What's it all about, Alfie? Do you really care?

Ivytalk
September 30th, 2009, 09:52 PM

Bite me, danefan!:p Harvard won in regulation last week.xcoffeex Plenty of time to hit the books!:D

Green26
September 30th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Dartmouth probably isn't going to beat Penn, but perhaps we can give them a game. My guess is that Penn is quite good this year. In the 3-14 oss to Villanova, Villanova returned the opening kickoff for a TD. Total yard was 239 (Penn) to 187 (Vill). Was the weather bad?

The UNH poster, as well as some other posters, got it right that Dartmouth appears to be improved. The offense has been better this year, but the defense, which has been credible in recent years, may have declined. Against UNH, Dartmouth was driving for the lead at some point after the middle of the 3rd quarter, when UNH stripped a Dartmouth receiver and recovered. UNH then drove 88 yards for a TD and never looked back, outscoring Dartmouth 20-0 in the second half, I believe.

This poster will be boarding a 6:45am flight tomorrow from Montana to Boston (with a stop, of course) to see the game in Hanover. This is the third year of Dartmouth recognizing its 17 or so Ivy championship teams. 1969 team being recognized on Saturday.

Any recommendations for an Italian restaurant in the North End for tomorrow night?

bulldog10jw
October 1st, 2009, 05:59 AM
Any recommendations for an Italian restaurant in the North End for tomorrow night?

I suggest driving to Wooster Street..........in New Haven. ;)

Ivytalk
October 1st, 2009, 07:38 AM

Green26: Try the Terramia on Salem St. Only minor drawback is they don't serve dessert. But there's plenty of canoli in the vicinity!

Pards Rule
October 1st, 2009, 08:14 AM
I suggest driving to Wooster Street..........in New Haven. ;)

Any particular? I will be hungry and needing good booze to celebrate a Pard win!

Ivytalk
October 1st, 2009, 10:25 AM
Any particular? I will be hungry and needing good booze to celebrate a Pard win!

GOOD booze near The Bowl? That's a toughie! Plenty of Thunderbird and Blue Nun, though!xwhistlex

Harvard Worship
October 1st, 2009, 08:36 PM
Penn over Dartmouth
Lafayette over Yale
Rhode Island over Brown
Harvard over Lehigh
Colgate over Cornell
Princeton over Columbia

But wouldn't it be neat if something different happened?

bulldog10jw
October 1st, 2009, 09:33 PM

If by booze you mean beer then Pepe's, or Sally's, or The Spot are great. But don't bother if you don't want pizza or as they say apizza.

Pards Rule
October 2nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
I want great chicken parm Bulldog - and I will defer on the beer till later. So what do you suggest?

carney2
October 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
Penn at Dartmouth The Indians suk. The Quackers don't.

[COLOR="Red"]Lafayette at Yale The Mutts have shown nothing so far. The Pards however, are beginning to look like the best kept secret in the Patriot League. The Lafayette QB problem only makes it close(r).

Rhode Island at Brown The Bruins need a wake up call. They are better than the Rhodies, but it needs to be convincing.

Harvard at Lehigh The Johns are probably pretty good. The ChickenSquawks are on the edge of forever. Here's an opinion that the Featherheads make some progress, but they have too far to go to get well this week.

Cornell at Colgate SUNY Ithaca is too small and too slow. The win in West Haven last week is more of an indictment of Yale than a kudo for the Big Dread. 'gate has yet to prove that they're for real. A win against these guys won't do it.

Columbia at Princeton Where exactly do the striped Tabbies stand this year? Methinx that the felines from The Bronx will put that question to rest.

ngineer
October 2nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
Penn at Dartmouth The Indians suk. The Quackers don't.

[COLOR="Red"]Lafayette at Yale The Mutts have shown nothing so far. The Pards however, are beginning to look like the best kept secret in the Patriot League. The Lafayette QB problem only makes it close(r).

Rhode Island at Brown The Bruins need a wake up call. They are better than the Rhodies, but it needs to be convincing.

Harvard at Lehigh The Johns are probably pretty good. The ChickenSquawks are on the edge of forever. Here's an opinion that the Featherheads make some progress, but they have too far to go to get well this week.

Cornell at Colgate SUNY Ithaca is too small and too slow. The win in West Haven last week is more of an indictment of Yale than a kudo for the Big Dread. 'gate has yet to prove that they're for real. A win against these guys won't do it.

Columbia at Princeton Where exactly do the striped Tabbies stand this year? Methinx that the felines from The Bronx will put that question to rest.

Yes, the lavatories at Goodman are probably the best in the PL..xnodx;)

Ivytalk
October 2nd, 2009, 12:43 PM
Yes, the lavatories at Goodman are probably the best in the PL..xnodx;)

You mean those "brown and white" trenches?;)

carney2
October 2nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
You mean those "brown and white" trenches?;)

For decades I thought that Lehigh and toilet were synonyms. Now I know better because I no longer think that it's true.xnodxxlolxxnodx

bulldog10jw
October 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
I want great chicken parm Bulldog - and I will defer on the beer till later. So what do you suggest?

Unfortunately Pards, I haven't lived in CT for 20 years and haven't even been back for 5. I know about the Wooster Street restaurants, because they are institutions in New Haven, but I only know about the pizza which is excellent. I couldn't even tell you what else is on the menu.

I was hoping YaleFootballFan could help you with a great spot, but I haven't seen him post here since the G-Town game.

Have a great time at the game, well not TOO great. ;)

GoGreen
October 2nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
The "Indians" don't suck, carney. You are in for a big surprise, my friend.

Big Green by 10 this Saturday.

bulldog10jw
October 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
The "Indians" don't suck, carney. You are in for a big surprise, my friend.

Big Green by 10 this Saturday.

I hope you are right, but I doubt you are.

Go...gate
October 2nd, 2009, 08:18 PM
Lehigh 26, Harvard 20

Lafayette 21, Yale 17

Colgate 28, Cornell 21

Pennsylvania 30, Dartmouth 16

Princeton 23, Columbia 17

Rhode Island 20, Brown 14

carney2
October 2nd, 2009, 09:11 PM
The "Indians" don't suck, carney.

Oh yeah they do.

RichH2
October 2nd, 2009, 09:49 PM
Love your picks Gate, I'll have another gin and tonic to toast your accuracy

Pards Rule
October 3rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
Unfortunately Pards, I haven't lived in CT for 20 years and haven't even been back for 5. I know about the Wooster Street restaurants, because they are institutions in New Haven, but I only know about the pizza which is excellent. I couldn't even tell you what else is on the menu.

I was hoping YaleFootballFan could help you with a great spot, but I haven't seen him post here since the G-Town game.

Have a great time at the game, well not TOO great. ;)

Thx Bulldog..I'll muddle my way through. Experienced the origination of the hamburger last night - Lunchbox Louis - on Crown Street. Purportedly devised the first one in 1900 so it says. A pint sized place indeed! And God forbid if you try to order it with ketchup and mustard (as this neophyte did)!!

Pards Rule
October 3rd, 2009, 07:21 AM
BTW Carney - made it up here in 4 hours from South Jersey yesterday afternoon. Weather is overcast & mild but all the rain fell last night and hardly any predicted for today - it is all the the East, just past New Haven. Bunked at the new Hilton Garden Inn in Milford last night. And floated around Yale with my Lafayette shirt - no comments. I guess a large majority aren't true football fans it seems.

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
BTW Carney - made it up here in 4 hours from South Jersey yesterday afternoon. Weather is overcast & mild but all the rain fell last night and hardly any predicted for today - it is all the the East, just past New Haven. Bunked at the new Hilton Garden Inn in Milford last night. And floated around Yale with my Lafayette shirt - no comments. I guess a large majority aren't true football fans it seems.

Lots of blue skies starting to appear in the Lehigh Valley and it's still early, so the meteorologists once again prove that they got their degrees from Cracker Jack boxes. This is the second year in a row that our road trip got rained out (Fordham last year), and the second year in a row that a cancellation appears to have been a bad decision. Oh well, I will console myself with Laubach and Leone on LSN while contributing to whatever game threads are up and running.

bonarae
October 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
Results are in:
Penn 30, Dartmouth 24
Lafayette 31, Yale 14
Brown 28, Rhode Island 20
Harvard 28, Lehigh 14
Colgate 45, Cornell 23
Columbia 38, Princeton 0
Most surprising result: URI-Brown.

Ivytalk
October 3rd, 2009, 05:38 PM
Results are in:
Penn 30, Dartmouth 24
Lafayette 31, Yale 14
Brown 28, Rhode Island 20
Harvard 28, Lehigh 14
Colgate 45, Cornell 23
Columbia 38, Princeton 0
Most surprising result: URI-Brown.

Bonarae, Columbia by 38 over Princeton HAS to be more surprising than the Brown game!xcoolx

bulldog10jw
October 3rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
Bonarae, Columbia by 38 over Princeton HAS to be more surprising than the Brown game!xcoolx

It's starting to look like Columbia-Harvard could be the game of the year.

Did I just say that?

Ivytalk
October 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
It's starting to look like Columbia-Harvard could be the game of the year.

Did I just say that?

You said it, bulldog! But there's a long way to go. It would be great to see Columbia beat Penn next.

DJOM
October 4th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Columbia's quarterback is for real. Brings a serious triple threat offense.

CFBfan
October 4th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Columbia's quarterback is for real. Brings a serious triple threat offense.

I watched the game and he looked very good (not much of a pss rush from Princeton though) and, I watched the Penn - Dartmouth game and Dartmouth certainly could have won that game. Penn has a DB that was beat every time they threw his way including 2 TD's! so if Columbia's QB is for real he should light them up, he also looked terrible on run support GO LIONS!

danefan
October 4th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Bite me, danefan!:p Harvard won in regulation last week.xcoffeex Plenty of time to hit the books!:D

Doesn't look like me completely ridiculos picks were that far off:

Lafayette over Yale xthumbsupx
Rhode Island over Brownxmadx
Lehigh over Harvard xmadx
Colgate over Cornell xthumbsupx
Columbia by 5 TD's over Princeton (38-0) It was 5 TD's. Just add a FG.xthumbsupx

And no I didn't forget one:

Penn at Dartmouth - TIE (30-24) So close. xsmiley_wix

Green26
October 5th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Here's a brief Dartmouth v. Penn game report. Penn has a nice running game, both from the rb and the qb's, but not much of a passing game was shown. Dartmouth's defense is not strong. Not production from the linebackers, who are young.

After being held after the opening kickoff, the Dartmouth long snapper snapped the ball about 5 feet over the head/hands of the punter, and Penn got a TD.

Penn led the whole game, but Dartmouth was still in it. Dartmouth has a nice passing game, especially when the qb has time, and has a very good sophomore runner, Sweigger, who is fairly strong, fast and shifty. Dartmouth's offense has improved this year.

With 5.5 minutes to go, and Dartmouth starting to mount a drive, the refs completely blew what should have been a pass interference penalty against Penn, Penn intercepted, and the game was essentially over. The Penn defender hit the receiver at least a second before the ball arrived, pushing the receiver forward and up-ending him. Completely obvious, from all over the field, in the press box, and on the replay. A defender behind the play then got the interception. Even if the closest refs didn't make the call, the other ones should have. The refs let the Dartmouth coach argue for a long time and come out onto the field a bit, indicating to me that they knew they had blown the call. The call didn't necessarily change the outcome of the game, as Dartmouth was down 7 then, but it ruined what would have been an exciting finish.

Dartmouth is going to win some games. Dartmouth has alot of sophomores and frosh playing. Dartmouth's top receiver and play-maker was out, which hurt. Another very good Dartmouth receiver/qb and exciting playmaker has been out all season so far (McManus). Got hurt the day before pre-season practice started, in 7 on 7. Penn appears to be middle of the pack, and not as good as they usually are.

It rained off and on during the game, occasionally heavily. Wasn't cold. Dartmouth has synthetic turf.

The 1969 Ivy championship team--the first of 5 championships in a row--limped on and off the field for introductions at halftime. Former Dartmouth and NFL qb Jay Fielder did the color for Versus tv. The tv director for the game, a freelancer, had done ESPN's coverage of the JMU/Montana game and the national championship game last season. He commented on how much he enjoyed Montana coach Bobby Hauck. Dartmouth women's rugby, my daughter's team, beat Yale soundly (about 36-0). Dartmouth men's rugby beat previously undefeated Harvard 31-0.

Thanks for North End restaurant recommendations. I ended up not getting back online to get them, before we had dinner on Thurs. night.

CFBfan
October 5th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Here's a brief Dartmouth v. Penn game report. Penn has a nice running game, both from the rb and the qb's, but not much of a passing game was shown. Dartmouth's defense is not strong. Not production from the linebackers, who are young.

After being held after the opening kickoff, the Dartmouth long snapper snapped the ball about 5 feet over the head/hands of the punter, and Penn got a TD.

Penn led the whole game, but Dartmouth was still in it. Dartmouth has a nice passing game, especially when the qb has time, and has a very good sophomore runner, Sweigger, who is fairly strong, fast and shifty. Dartmouth's offense has improved this year.

With 5.5 minutes to go, and Dartmouth starting to mount a drive, the refs completely blew what should have been a pass interference penalty against Penn, Penn intercepted, and the game was essentially over. The Penn defender hit the receiver at least a second before the ball arrived, pushing the receiver forward and up-ending him. Completely obvious, from all over the field, in the press box, and on the replay. A defender behind the play then got the interception. Even if the closest refs didn't make the call, the other ones should have. The refs let the Dartmouth coach argue for a long time and come out onto the field a bit, indicating to me that they knew they had blown the call. The call didn't necessarily change the outcome of the game, as Dartmouth was down 7 then, but it ruined what would have been an exciting finish.

Dartmouth is going to win some games. Dartmouth has alot of sophomores and frosh playing. Dartmouth's top receiver and play-maker was out, which hurt. Another very good Dartmouth receiver/qb and exciting playmaker has been out all season so far (McManus). Got hurt the day before pre-season practice started, in 7 on 7. Penn appears to be middle of the pack, and not as good as they usually are.

It rained off and on during the game, occasionally heavily. Wasn't cold. Dartmouth has synthetic turf.

The 1969 Ivy championship team--the first of 5 championships in a row--limped on and off the field for introductions at halftime. Former Dartmouth and NFL qb Jay Fielder did the color for Versus tv. The tv director for the game, a freelancer, had done ESPN's coverage of the JMU/Montana game and the national championship game last season. He commented on how much he enjoyed Montana coach Bobby Hauck. Dartmouth women's rugby, my daughter's team, beat Yale soundly (about 36-0). Dartmouth men's rugby beat previously undefeated Harvard 31-0.

Thanks for North End restaurant recommendations. I ended up not getting back online to get them, before we had dinner on Thurs. night.

good summary, Dartmouth might look back on this one as "one that got away". the bad long snap giving Penn a TD, a missed tackle resulting in a lond TD run and the no call for pass interfrence. Penn looks average at best with a very suspect pass defense, their secondary did not look very good. Any good passing team should light them up.