PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-28

JALMOND
September 28th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Pretty unusual for the home team not to win at least one game on a full conference slate, but that was what happened this past weekend. That can happen having the favorites playing on the road, not that the games were boring (far from that in most cases). Pretty entertaining weekend. Here are this week's power rankings in the Big Sky. All are my opinion only and all are open for discussion. This week (last week).

1. Montana (1)---The Grizzlies headed into Flagstaff for the game against Northern Arizona knowing that it would be a tough game, but they had little idea just how tough. A full game did not settle in, both teams had to go into overtime before the Griz got a victory. No quit in this team. This week a much needed bye to settle down and get ready for the rest of the schedule.

2. Weber State (2)---The Wildcats actually seemed in control of the game against Portland State through much of the game. Then they let their guard down, allowing a kickoff return for a touchdown, an INT for a touchdown and a long drive for another TD. Before they knew it, there was one minute left and they were behind. But that was still long enough to salvage a victory and get out. This week, a return home to welcome Montana State. Another nail-biter?

3. Eastern Washington (3)---While the rest of the conference were in rather close contests, the Eagles found their offense in a big way, outscoring Sacramento State. The defense, after coming up big the previous week (and through the first half here) let down in the second, allowing the Hornets almost to keep pace. Still, the defense did not let them get close. This week finds them heading on the road to Idaho State. When does it get tough?

4. Northern Arizona (4)---Right there. The win was right there. Then a long field goal by Montana to send the game into overtime and the Jacks could not answer the touchdown scored by the Griz on the first possession. Just so close for the big win. Sadly, it still goes down as a loss. This week they welcome Northern Colorado to their cozy confines. Good chance to get the win or will there be the nasty Griz hangover?

5. Montana State (5)---Good enough? The Bobcat defense came to play and shut down Northern Colorado most of the game (a late Bears touchdown ruined the shutout). Still, this Bobcat offense could only muster 25 points against was is looking like a stout, but banged up Bears defense. Is it a case of the Bobcat offense struggling? This week they head down the road to Weber State. A good test to see just where the Bobcat offense is.

6. Portland State (7)---Fifteen seconds and fourth down from a hard nosed Viking win over Weber State. Then the ball goes through the hands of a defender and is caught in the end zone, stealing the win from the Vikings and handing it to the mighty Wildcats. Just that close. Where to go next? How about staying at home to welcome Sacramento State. Can the Vikings get this one?

7. Sacramento State (8)---Has the offense finally awaken for the Hornets? After what seemed like a blowout at the hands of Eastern Washington, the Hornet offense teased the crowd in the second half, trying to catch the Eagles. Great try, but the defense could not even come close to containing the Eagles. Will the defense start playing? How about next week when they head to play the high flying Portland State team.

8. Northern Colorado (6)---Hard to explain. After a mild offensive explosion against San Diego the second game of the year, the Bears have not had any offense to speak of. This last game against Montana State, the Bears got a late touchdown that prevented what would have been a second straight shutout. The defense has shown they can at least slow down teams, but the offense is having trouble scoring. This week they head to Northern Arizona, a team that has shown they can score. Maybe they can show the Bears how to do it.

9. Idaho State (9)---When you start the year with three tough road games, you hope to schedule an easy opponent for your home opener. You look at DII and find someone willing to play at your house. So the Bengals found Central Washington. Trouble is, they are a very good DII team, as shown in the final score. Embarrassing as it might be, the year moves on and this week, they welcome Eastern Washington. Well, can't be easy.

Silenoz
September 28th, 2009, 11:08 PM
NAU hit the long field goal to force overtime

Native
September 28th, 2009, 11:09 PM

Beat me to it!

I Bleed Purple
September 28th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Plus the final Weber score wasn't caught in the endzone. It was caught around the 20.

putter
September 28th, 2009, 11:35 PM
3-4-5 spots are pretty close. NAU showed me a lot and it appears that they, EWU and MSU will separate themselves with how well their defense plays in the upcoming games as their offense all played well last week.

JALMOND
September 28th, 2009, 11:52 PM

oops. Need to do better research. xoopsxxoopsx

wapiti
September 29th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Looks good, as far as the rankings go.
No arguments here.
3, 4 and 5 look fairly evenly matched.

Should have some entertaining games the next few weeks.

EdubAlum
September 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Looks good, as far as the rankings go.
No arguments here.
3, 4 and 5 look fairly evenly matched.

Should have some entertaining games the next few weeks.

I think we should be able to sort those out after saturday. Or at least figure out where MSU is it

CopperCat
September 29th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I think we should be able to sort those out after saturday. Or at least figure out where MSU is it

MSU is a growing team, meaning they have alot left to learn. I think preparing for Weber will show them just how much they need to work on in order to legitimately be a top 3 BSC team down the road somewhere. Yeah, MSU might be put in its place after Saturday, but I'm not sure that we will know everything about the Cats until maybe even week 8 or 9. This team has never really put all its cards on the table until later in the season in recent years.

kalm
September 29th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I think 1 and 4 looked pretty evenly matched too.

Native
September 30th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I think 1 and 4 looked pretty evenly matched too.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

They sure looked pretty evenly matched this past weekend in Flagstaff! xnodx

kalm
September 30th, 2009, 09:00 AM
At this point I still think it's pretty tough to rank all of the top 5. But I'd rank UM and Weber as tied, EWU third, NAU 4th, Cats 5th.

The griz squeeked by against a suspect Davis and what looks to be a pretty good NAU team. Not convincing wins, but they shouldn't have to apologize for winning -especially on the road. As the season goes forward WGS and depth always seem to prevail for the Griz.

After the two close FBS losses, Weber looked to be the most talented, but injuries and trips to Missoula and Cheney coming up are a concern.

EWU has enough talent and experience along with emerging stars in Taiwan Jones and J.C. Sherrit to win the conference. But giving up 30 against Sac was a set-back for an improving defense, and the special teams are a concern. Still have yet to play a quality FCS opponent.

NAU and the Cats are in the same boat as EWU in that they'll need a marquee win to overcome the top two.

catbob
September 30th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Here is an interesting stat:

MSU hasn't lost in Ogden since 1996.

EdubAlum
September 30th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Here is an interesting stat:

MSU hasn't lost in Ogden since 1996.

Weber hasn't had a team as good as this in awhile in a year that MSU played there either, (exception, 2003)

catbob
September 30th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Weber hasn't had a team as good as this in awhile in a year that MSU played there either, (exception, 2003)

I agree, I just didn't realize we had won so many in row down there.

I Bleed Purple
September 30th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Just to repeat, I absolutely ***** hate that m*********************** Lulu guy. Fortunately, he's not playing on Saturday. xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
September 30th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Just to repeat, I absolutely ***** hate that m*********************** Lulu guy. Fortunately, he's not playing on Saturday. xthumbsupx

And he absolutely ****** hated that Meyer guy. xlolx Eastern didn't have a problem with that ginger. xsmiley_wix

mlbowl
October 1st, 2009, 07:26 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolx

They sure looked pretty evenly matched this past weekend in Flagstaff! xnodx

That is hilarious...because I was thinking the same exact thingxnodx...Oh, but I'd replace 1 and 4 with 2 and 6!xnodxxnodxxnodx

Native
October 1st, 2009, 07:43 PM
That is hilarious...because I was thinking the same exact thingxnodx...Oh, but I'd replace 1 and 4 with 2 and 6!xnodxxnodxxnodx

Me too! xthumbsupx