PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Poll Week 4 (FAMU #23)

WestCoastAggie
September 28th, 2009, 03:38 PM
2009 FCS Coaches Poll – Week 4 (September 28, 2009)

Team (No. 1 Votes) 2009 Record Points Previous Ranking
1. Richmond (28) 4-0 700 1
2. Villanova 4-0 659 2
3. Montana 4-0 631 3
4. Northern Iowa 3-1 630 4
5. William & Mary 4-0 581 5
6. James Madison 2-1 550 6
7. New Hampshire 3-0 536 7
8. Southern Illinois 2-1 491 8
9. McNeese State 3-1 444 9
10. Appalachian State 1-2 403 10
11. Weber State 2-2 397 11
12. Central Arkansas 2-1 375 12
13. Elon 3-1 373 13
14. South Carolina State 3-0 309 16
15. South Dakota State 3-0 293 18
16. Massachusetts 3-1 282 15
17. Cal Poly 1-2 210 14
18. Eastern Washington 3-1 194 20
19. Texas State 2-1 184 19
20. Jacksonville State 2-2 158 21
21. Eastern Kentucky 2-1 157 22
22. Holy Cross 3-0 134 23
23. Florida A&M 4-0 115 25
24. Eastern Illinois 4-0 94 NR
25. Montana State 2-1 30 NR

Others receiving votes (points in parentheses): Colgate (24), Stephen F. Austin (24), Wofford (20), Furman (17), Grambling State (14), Liberty (14), Chattanooga (11), Prairie View A&M (11), Youngstown State (10), Maine (6), Northern Arizona (6), Gardner-Webb (5), Southern (3) Alabama A&M (2), Delaware (2), Butler (1).

Cool to see the Southland & the SWAC get some love from the coaches.

Debate!

GannonFan
September 28th, 2009, 03:40 PM
But come on, man, no votes for CCSU, at all???? Outrageous! xlolx

Big Dawg
September 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM
xthumbsupx

UNIFanSince1983
September 28th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Wow Montana ahead of UNI and William and Mary? They could very well be better, but at this point there is nothing they have done that puts them ahead of either one.

jmufan999
September 28th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Wow Montana ahead of UNI and William and Mary? They could very well be better, but at this point there is nothing they have done that puts them ahead of either one.

right or wrong, just about every poll (FBS, FCS, doesn't matter) hesitates before making big leaps, especially if both teams won. I happen to think it's ridiculous, but that's just me.

DSUrocks07
September 28th, 2009, 03:46 PM
2009 FCS Coaches Poll – Week 4 (September 28, 2009)

Team (No. 1 Votes) 2009 Record Points Previous Ranking
1. Richmond (28) 4-0 700 1
2. Villanova 4-0 659 2
3. Montana 4-0 631 3
4. Northern Iowa 3-1 630 4
5. William & Mary 4-0 581 5
6. James Madison 2-1 550 6
7. New Hampshire 3-0 536 7
8. Southern Illinois 2-1 491 8
9. McNeese State 3-1 444 9
10. Appalachian State 1-2 403 10
11. Weber State 2-2 397 11
12. Central Arkansas 2-1 375 12
13. Elon 3-1 373 13
14. South Carolina State 3-0 309 16
15. South Dakota State 3-0 293 18
16. Massachusetts 3-1 282 15
17. Cal Poly 1-2 210 14
18. Eastern Washington 3-1 194 20
19. Texas State 2-1 184 19
20. Jacksonville State 2-2 158 21
21. Eastern Kentucky 2-1 157 22
22. Holy Cross 3-0 134 23
23. Florida A&M 4-0 115 25
24. Eastern Illinois 4-0 94 NR
25. Montana State 2-1 30 NR

Others receiving votes (points in parentheses): Colgate (24), Stephen F. Austin (24), Wofford (20), Furman (17), Grambling State (14), Liberty (14), Chattanooga (11), Prairie View A&M (11), Youngstown State (10), Maine (6), Northern Arizona (6), Gardner-Webb (5), Southern (3) Alabama A&M (2), Delaware (2), Butler (1).

Cool to see the Southland & the SWAC get some love from the coaches.

Debate!

xwhistlex

mlbowl
September 28th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Agreed...I'm not exactly sure where we belong right now...but #3 is a stretch. I truly believe we can get there but we've got some things to iron out for now.

Shellin
September 28th, 2009, 04:31 PM
To be fair, Montana is ahead of UNI by 1 vote in this poll. I agree that they should be behind UNI and W&M at this point but it I'm sure these things will work themselves out eventually, they always do.

Grrrrriz
September 28th, 2009, 05:25 PM

Of course there is. We made it to the National Championship last year, we have won all of our games...I would imagine we will stay there until we give them a reason to knock us down a bit.....but we aren't going to lose, so thats not gonna happen.

Ronbo
September 28th, 2009, 06:34 PM

Well let's see.......

18-2 in the last 20 games
4-0 this season
defending national runnerup
2 road victories against two tough teams that should end up with 7 victories each.

You guys might get your chance against us in the playoffs.

JohnStOnge
September 28th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Interesting to see McNeese getting tolerance after losing to Tulane. I watched the game and found it to be very frustrating. A real opportunity to knock off a CUSA team...regardless of how bad...squandered through things like fumbles and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. But, apparently, it didn't diminish McNeese in the eyes of poll voters.

The Cowboys do have problems on defense though. If they didn't, they'd have not only beaten Tulane....it'd have been a blowout.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 28th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Well let's see.......

18-2 in the last 20 games
4-0 this season
defending national runnerup
2 road victories against two tough teams that should end up with 7 victories each.

You guys might get your chance against us in the playoffs.

Objection....your honor 2 of these statements have nothing to due with the 2009 season, and the third is conjecture

ToTheLeft
September 28th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Wow, Liberty getting tons of love...

What a crock.

Ronbo
September 29th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Objection....your honor 2 of these statements have nothing to due with the 2009 season, and the third is conjecture

Really? We have 56 lettermen and the same coaches as last year. Not much has changed. Oh yeah, we lost our QB but walla! Our new QB is ranked #4 in the country in pass efficiency. Between Selle and Roper the pass attack has 10 TD's and only 1 pick and 65% completion. NAU and Davis are pretty good, you just watch.

unigriff
September 29th, 2009, 09:54 AM
its easy to letter in college via scholarship, playing time or just being on the team (Ind. State!) :)

56? Blah Just a number

DOME
September 29th, 2009, 09:55 AM
P. Grace is a solid qb too... http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=172077

grizzpaw
September 29th, 2009, 10:21 AM

and WHAT has UNI done! thats right THEY LOST period! spin it any way u want UNI has had OVER 100 tries to beat iowa and NEVER have they won!xnodx

until uni "pulls the tape":D out of thier asses, and LEARNS to BLOCK xlolx,2 chances enough said! oh and go ahead and tell how good IOWA is NOW not week one!xcoffeex

people here at ags puts way to much on fbs games its just one game (most times its the first one) but MY view is "take the money", pay the price! same with d-II gamesxwhistlex! i drop ANY team THAT LOSES, AND WILL NOT MOVE ANY TEAM UP PLAYING D-II TEAMS(THAT INCLUDES MONTANA), this "good lost" crap needs to stop!xnonono2x

89Hen
September 29th, 2009, 10:26 AM
So West Coast, I'm not sure I understand your position on FAMU and the polls. FAMU is #26 in the AGS poll and 23 in this one. Are those three spots so important that you can claim the AGS poll isn't credible and this one is? If so, what about a poll that had FAMU at 20? Would that poll be automatically more credible than this one?

Ronbo
September 29th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Really? We have 56 lettermen and the same coaches as last year. Not much has changed. Oh yeah, we lost our QB but walla! Our new QB is ranked #4 in the country in pass efficiency. Between Selle and Roper the pass attack has 10 TD's and only 1 pick and 65% completion. NAU and Davis are pretty good, you just watch.

Oh, and I forgot to point out that PSU gave the Weber State All Americans (what do they have 7-8 of them? And 12-13 All Big Sky.) all they could handle. Weber was damn lucky to win that game and we beat PSU by 32 points.

WestCoastAggie
September 29th, 2009, 10:48 AM
So West Coast, I'm not sure I understand your position on FAMU and the polls. FAMU is #26 in the AGS poll and 23 in this one. Are those three spots so important that you can claim the AGS poll isn't credible and this one is? If so, what about a poll that had FAMU at 20? Would that poll be automatically more credible than this one?

Due to recent history (2000-Current) the MEAC higher quality teams aren't being considered as good as they are this season. This is due to a plethera of reasons from Scheduling to just not being out there in the public eye enough and the MEAC rep not wining Playoff games recently.

South Carolina, although losing to App. St., did a lot to improve their profile as well as the MEAC's and are ranked respectifully.

FAMU, had a 9-2 record last year and played SCSU tough. They return most, if not all of their starters and is actually favored to win the MEAC this year. According to their stats, for what it's worth, FAMU seems to be a top 25 team. Their schedule is a little on the soft side but most they play Miami next weekend and then Play SCSU and Hampton.

I am shocked that many of the voters in the AGS poll didn't feel that way this week. But after this bye, FAMU will have plenty of chances to impress voters in all polls.

grizzpaw
September 29th, 2009, 11:13 AM

first i have watched 2 of their games! the kick returner is a stud, but the teams they were playing were BAD on ALL of their kicking downs! after watching them, i feel (imho) famu would have a hard time winning many games in the caa,big sky,southland,mv,or great west!

Big Al
September 29th, 2009, 11:16 AM
1. UNI has played Iowa 15 times, not "over 100".
2. Since losing to Iowa, UNI has outscored their opponents 131-14. Include the Iowa game, and you're looking at 147-31. Those are some eye-popping stats, if you ask me.
3. While, yes, Montana is 4-0, their total points scored/allowed is 145-61. Throw out the D-2 game and you're looking at 107-61. Doesn't seem nearly as dominating in comparison.

Let's look at this another way:

If you exclude the Iowa game for UNI and the Western game for Montana, you are looking at two 3-0 teams in FCS competittion. UNI has scored 40 more points in this span while allowing 47 fewer points. In fact, they went 10 straight quarters without allowing a single score. Nothing. Not even a field goal.

By that record, I'd say UNI fully deserves to be ranked ahead of Montana.

and WHAT has UNI done! thats right THEY LOST period! spin it any way u want UNI has had OVER 100 tries to beat iowa and NEVER have they won!xnodx

until uni "pulls the tape":D out of thier asses, and LEARNS to BLOCK xlolx,2 chances enough said! oh and go ahead and tell how good IOWA is NOW not week one!xcoffeex

people here at ags puts way to much on fbs games its just one game (most times its the first one) but MY view is "take the money", pay the price! same with d-II gamesxwhistlex! i drop ANY team THAT LOSES, AND WILL NOT MOVE ANY TEAM UP PLAYING D-II TEAMS(THAT INCLUDES MONTANA), this "good lost" crap needs to stop!xnonono2x

89Hen
September 29th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Due to recent history (2000-Current) the MEAC higher quality teams aren't being considered as good as they are this season.
I guess my question is, what makes this season different than the past 8?

UNIFanSince1983
September 29th, 2009, 11:34 AM

Actually you have to include good losses when doing rankings don't you? Otherwise all you have is standings. If there are no good losses then why aren't all the undefeated teams tied for 1st?

I do agree that Iowa may very well be better now than they were in week 1. Hell in week one they still had Paki Omera seeing the field quite a bit, and well he turned the ball over once and didn't play well the rest of the time. I don't think he has been on the field since then except for mop up time. But to simply discredit this because we lost is a bit ridiculous.

I haven't seen enough yet from either Montana or UNI yet that proves they are worthy of the Top 5. I am not going to credit you for beating Portland State, UC Davis and Western State. Those are all very similar to our wins over South Dakota, St. Francis, and Missouri State. And personally I think a close loss to Iowa should mean more than a 7 point win over Northern Arizona, but I think I am probably in the minority on that one.

But for me it is hard to argue that Montana should be ahead of William and Mary. It is also hard for me to argue that UNI should be ahead of William and Mary at this point in the season. The great think about polls is it will eventually work itself out, and there is no reason to get too bent out of shape about a coaches poll released in September xpeacex

PhoenixSupreme
September 29th, 2009, 11:37 AM
While I'm not surprised to see Richmond at #1, I am surprised to still see them have unanimous 1st-place votes. I'm not taking anything from Richmond, but I guess the coaches in the pool go with the philosophy of "They're the top dog until they get beat".

WestCoastAggie
September 29th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I guess my question is, what makes this season different than the past 8?

Past years, a team like FAMU or SCSU would have lost to a Middle of the road MEAC team or allowed Winston or Howard to stick around late in the game. That's how DSU made it in 2007.

FAMU, SCSU and Hampton are usually able to bring in high quality talent but lacked fundamentals and were undisciplined. This year, FAMU & SCSU have improved in fundamentals and play a better quality of football now according to their stats.

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2009, 11:54 AM
How the heck is Montana St. ranked?

And three OVC teams? (even in the AGS poll)... bizzare.

89Hen
September 29th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Past years, a team like FAMU or SCSU would have lost to a Middle of the road MEAC team or allowed Winston or Howard to stick around late in the game.
The season is young and are you saying a loss to a middle of the road MEAC is an embarrassment? xpeacex

WrenFGun
September 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I hate UNI, and I would put a good deal of money on UNI beating Montana if they played right now..

I just don't vote based on last season. UNI seems to have vastly superior team, and W&M and UNH have superior resumes. I have Montana behind SDSU and JMU, as well, though SDSU's win over Ga. Sou is looking less and less impressive by the week, so I think I'll jump Montana over them given the NAU and UC Davis wins.

uofmman1122
September 29th, 2009, 12:26 PM
1. UNI has played Iowa 15 times, not "over 100".
2. Since losing to Iowa, UNI has outscored their opponents 131-14. Include the Iowa game, and you're looking at 147-31. Those are some eye-popping stats, if you ask me.
3. While, yes, Montana is 4-0, their total points scored/allowed is 145-61. Throw out the D-2 game and you're looking at 107-61. Doesn't seem nearly as dominating in comparison.

Let's look at this another way:

If you exclude the Iowa game for UNI and the Western game for Montana, you are looking at two 3-0 teams in FCS competittion. UNI has scored 40 more points in this span while allowing 47 fewer points. In fact, they went 10 straight quarters without allowing a single score. Nothing. Not even a field goal.

By that record, I'd say UNI fully deserves to be ranked ahead of Montana.To be fair, your three teams outside of Iowa have been pretty cupcakey compared to Montana's.

I have UNI at #2, but I don't think it's unreasonable for people to have Montana ahead of UNI.

Also, it's the week four poll. Lighten up. xlolx

Big Al
September 29th, 2009, 12:48 PM
To be fair, your three teams outside of Iowa have been pretty cupcakey compared to Montana's.

Fair enough. However, we beat them by rather convincing margins, which is what a dominating team should do to cupcakes, no?

Montana has two close wins against two teams who may be good, but Im' guessing they'll be exposed as middling, at best, by the end of the season.

Also, it's the week four poll. Lighten up. xlolx

Are you directing that at me or grizzpaw, because he's the one who ended every sentence with an exclamation point. All I did was use stats & figures to calmly make my argument.

xsmiley_wix