PDA

View Full Version : Should the Winner of 'Nova-Bill & Mary be #1?

Hoyadestroya85
September 27th, 2009, 02:44 PM
In my opinion, polls should be ranked more on performance during the season rather than preseason poll position so it would make sense that the winner of this game would have the best resume so far. What do the rest of you think?

Uncle Buck
September 27th, 2009, 02:47 PM
UR is the defending champ and they're winning the games on their schedule. I think until they get knocked off or really have a bad outing, they should remain #1. Nova and W&M will have their opportunity to take them down.

seattlespider
September 27th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Since Richmond currently occupies the spot, I'll chime in to say: It doesn't matter. Since we don't have the crappy BCS system, and get to decide it on the field in the playoffs, AND Nova and W&M will have a crack at UR (assuming they get through their schedule), it will sort itself out. Plus, UR is undefeated. Why penalize UR for having a bye, given what I outlined above?

WrenFGun
September 27th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Yes, they should.

ToTheLeft
September 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I don't believe that you glue teams into spots on the poll and leave them there til they blow it. If I think someone is better than someone else after looking at their body of work, I vote it out that way. Which is why, after the UVa win and the Delaware win, I already have William and Mary as the #1 in this week's poll. Of course, if someone (like UR) beats W&M, of course they would have the sort of resume to get the #1 spot. But just because someone won last year doesn't mean they are gifted a #1 until they lose.

Hoyadestroya85
September 27th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Since Richmond currently occupies the spot, I'll chime in to say: It doesn't matter. Since we don't have the crappy BCS system, and get to decide it on the field in the playoffs, AND Nova and W&M will have a crack at UR (assuming they get through their schedule), it will sort itself out. Plus, UR is undefeated. Why penalize UR for having a bye, given what I outlined above?

Because Richmond will not have the resume after next week that the other two teams have. William & Mary to this point has the best resume of any team IMO. It wouldn't be penalizing the Spiders as much as it would be rewarding the team that has truly played the best ball up to this point.

Thumper 76
September 27th, 2009, 03:42 PM
If I was looking at two resumes and one said defending national champs and the other didn't, i know which one I would go for.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 27th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Poll should have third option...

"Who cares, both teams will get a chance to beat Richmond"?

WrenFGun
September 27th, 2009, 03:45 PM
If I was looking at two resumes and one said defending national champs and the other didn't, i know which one I would go for.

....what does defending national champ have to do with this season?

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM

Nothing. Then again, sometimes the fact that one season ends in Cedar Falls, IA is a predictor that it will happen again the following season ... xpeacex

seattlespider
September 27th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Nothing. Then again, sometimes the fact that one season ends in Cedar Falls, IA is a predictor that it will happen again the following season ... xpeacex

Isn't it in the bylaws? xrulesx

RabidRabbit
September 27th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Seeing how I have one of those as #1, it would make sense for me to use that criteria.
xsmiley_wix

uofmman1122
September 27th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Unless Richmond or UNI loses, neither W&M or 'Nova will be my #1.

CDT_Wilson
September 27th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Well Nova hasn't played anyone decent and W&M only beat Virgina who hasn't won a game all season. Not that it really matters in FCS, but I think they are both over rated.

WrenFGun
September 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Well Nova hasn't played anyone decent and W&M only beat Virgina who hasn't won a game all season. Not that it really matters in FCS, but I think they are both over rated.

Oy. FBS wins for both>any FCS win this season.

Hoyadestroya85
September 27th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Especially since Temple laid a beat down on Buffalo this week.

Uncle Buck
September 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I'm not saying either one is overrated at this point. Both are fantastic teams by their own rights, but UR came in as the #1 and IMO, they stay there until i see something i don't like. As of now, they have beaten everyone on their schedule and IMO there is no reason to move them. Both Nova and W&M will get their shot, but if you put a gun to my head, i think W&M has been more impressive to date.

Hoyadestroya85
September 27th, 2009, 04:46 PM
On the "defending champs argument" Richmond lost its best player from last year.. Neither Villanova or William & Mary did so. The unfortunate thing is that the CAA champ may have two losses and they won't get the #1 seed even if they're the best team.

LacesOut
September 27th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Unless Richmond or UNI loses, neither W&M or 'Nova will be my #1.

This.

seattlespider
September 27th, 2009, 05:21 PM
The bottom line is that both W&M and Nova will get a crack at UR, should the teams win out to that point (which is certainly no given).

DTSpider
September 27th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Does it really matter? One game does not make a season.

In the CAA South you'll have several of these games this year between UR, Nova, W&M and JMU.

4th and What?
September 27th, 2009, 06:52 PM
My poll went through a lot of changes this week now that we have a few actual games to compare people against. While expected quality based on last season and off season changes should certain weigh heavily in early polls, as the season moves on, it should weigh less and less.

So far W&M looked much stronger against Delaware than Richmond did. Over the next couple weeks we will get a few more "comparison" games. Richmond will not play Nova or W&M head to head until November. While Richmond may(and should) look more impressive against JMU, Maine, UMass they should not be able to sqeak past them and hold onto a #1 slot while other teams look more impressive against them.

For now Richmond has a strong argument still being last years champ, holding onto a good portion of their big time players, and the win against Duke. And the bye week shouldn't necessarily hurt that argument, but I think people can certainly have a valid argument for W&M now, or for the winner of Nova/W&M after next week.

seattlespider
September 27th, 2009, 07:02 PM
So far W&M looked much stronger against Delaware than Richmond did.

I should hope so, given they got Delaware at home while we did not. Or do road wins not factor in anymore...

joecooll6
September 27th, 2009, 07:13 PM
In my book right now its UR then UNI.

spdram
September 27th, 2009, 07:26 PM
"Richmond lost its best player from last year.. Neither Villanova or William & Mary did so"

I cannot speak to the feelings at Nova or W&M, but I think you would get alot of debate from Richmond fans on this statement. I assume you are refering to Sidbury and as much as we loved him I doubt few would say he was our best player last year.

JmuSkinsfan
September 27th, 2009, 08:05 PM
So, if JMU beats Hofstra next week, they will have #1 Richmond and #2 Villanova in back to back weeks at HOME. Now, they will have to play very well to win both games, but there IS a chance, that if JMU beats Richmond, they'll move up from 7 to around 3/4 ... and then host the #1 Villanova Wildcats the week after. If JMU is 5-1 in three weeks after the 'nova game with their only loss to UMD in OT ... are they unanimous #1? Or do they have to go to Williamsburg to beat another top 5 team first? I think if they are 5-1 with back to back wins over #1 teams they should be #1 hands down.

LacesOut
September 27th, 2009, 08:11 PM
So, if JMU beats Hofstra next week, they will have #1 Richmond and #2 Villanova in back to back weeks at HOME. Now, they will have to play very well to win both games, but there IS a chance, that if JMU beats Richmond, they'll move up from 7 to around 3/4 ... and then host the #1 Villanova Wildcats the week after. If JMU is 5-1 in three weeks after the 'nova game with their only loss to UMD in OT ... are they unanimous #1? Or do they have to go to Williamsburg to beat another top 5 team first? I think if they are 5-1 with back to back wins over #1 teams they should be #1 hands down.

Uhhhhhhhhh............can't we wait until JMU actually plays those games to decide??

JmuSkinsfan
September 27th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Uhhhhhhhhh............can't we wait until JMU actually plays those games to decide??

It was just a hypothetical to kinda point out that none of this really matters. BUT, it is kind of something to ponder. Assuming JMU, UR and 'Nova win the games they are supposed to win ... you would have JMU playing all 3 CAA South teams ahead of them in back to back to back weeks with 2 at home. IF they can win those 3 (I personally think as a TEAM jmu is better this year than last) ... man whatever the CAA SOUTH is stacked we should get 4 playoff teams in and I don't think ANYONE could argue against JMU, Nova, UR and W&M making the field ... any debate would be over whether 2 North teams should make it (and if UMass and UNH are both 8-3 ... then yes)

You certainly have the "beating each other up" factor ... but I think there will be atleast 5 CAA teams at 8-3 or better if not 6.

CDT_Wilson
September 27th, 2009, 08:46 PM
For now Richmond has a strong argument still being last years champ, holding onto a good portion of their big time players, and the win against Duke. And the bye week shouldn't necessarily hurt that argument, but I think people can certainly have a valid argument for W&M now, or for the winner of Nova/W&M after next week.

I didn't know Duke had a football team until everyone made a big deal about Richmond beating them.

Ivytalk
September 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Nah. Richmond in the catbird seat until they really lay a steaming turd.xcoolx

4th and What?
September 27th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I didn't know Duke had a football team until everyone made a big deal about Richmond beating them.

Actually Duke has been improving for a while. They had a pretty decent team last year that got killed by injuries. They should be right in the mix of the ACC this year, though gonna have another bad beating next weekend, they have a good shot to run a few wins together after that.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 27th, 2009, 09:04 PM

What IF they don't?

GrizFoo
September 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM
No, honestly I think UNI should be one regardless. But, given the current poll, I think Richmond should stay #1, the winner of Nova vs WM should probably be #2.

JayJ79
September 27th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Oy. FBS wins for both>any FCS win this season.

BS.
Just because a team is FBS doesn't automatically make them better than all FCS teams.

The top FCS teams are better than I'd say at least the bottom third of the FBS.
Now I haven't really researched which teams Nova or W&M beat, and how they rank in the FBS.

But your statement that any FBS win is better than any FCS win is bunk.

ValleyChamp
September 27th, 2009, 09:22 PM
This is such a homer question. There are plenty of other good teams not in the CAA. And in the CAA for that matter, including the national champs.

jstclmet
September 27th, 2009, 09:27 PM
If Nova loses to W&M, they would and should drop to a ranking just below W&M, let's say 5 for arguments sake. Of course a close loss or big loss could make it a bigger drop. W&M would probably move up to #3 or more likely #4 again depending on how convincing a win it was.

If W&M loses to Nova, Nova would remain @ #2, and W&M would drop somewhere between 6 & 10. And again how big a loss it was would determine how far they drop.

With the game being on National TV, a lot of the world will have an opportunity to view both teams and make their respective judgements come Sunday.

As for UR, while I would love for Nova to take the #1 spot, it's only Sept. I can wait for Nov 7. If both teams are still #1 & #2 on that date, that would make for a special game which would probably be televised nationally, and most likely have a bearing on the #1 seed in the playoffs. UR stadium could very well be sold out on that night.

mcveyrl
September 27th, 2009, 09:43 PM

Really!? You didn't see the crapfit on here when JMU lost to them last year? You would've thought we lost to Indiana State.

As an answer to the original question, this would be a little more difficult question if both teams didn't eventually play my current No. 1 (UR). I'll just wait until they play to make the call. Of course what do you do if they are all 1-1 after that???

A tougher question for me is whether the winner jumps UNI. UNI almost beat a team that took the supposed No. 5 team in FBS to school. But that was a few weeks ago. And there's no way to compare head to head.

TheTribeHasSpoken
September 27th, 2009, 09:48 PM
This is such a homer question. There are plenty of other good teams not in the CAA.Good luck with that one bud xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
September 27th, 2009, 09:50 PM
"Richmond lost its best player from last year.. Neither Villanova or William & Mary did so"

I cannot speak to the feelings at Nova or W&M, but I think you would get alot of debate from Richmond fans on this statement. I assume you are refering to Sidbury and as much as we loved him I doubt few would say he was our best player last year.

Ok.. Sid, Josh Vaughn and Sherman Logan.. from what I observed they were three of your five best players from last year. Villanova's five best players from last year were Osayi Osunde, Chris Whitney, Aaron Ball, Matt Szczur and Greg Miller. Of that group Villanova only lost one. Tracy was W&M's best player from last year and he's back, Grimes was on that last and Archer is probably better than Phillips.

Hoyadestroya85
September 27th, 2009, 10:11 PM
This is such a homer question. There are plenty of other good teams not in the CAA. And in the CAA for that matter, including the national champs.

I take offense at being called a homer considering I had a SoCon team as my preseason number one and a Big Sky team as my preseason number two. The bottom line is that the CAA has clearly seperated itself this year and people (such as Bruce Dowd) felt that Villanova was the best team last year and they honestly lost the least of the playoff teams from last season.

soccerguy315
September 27th, 2009, 10:14 PM

A lot more people know Duke has a football team than know UNI has a football team.

Just sayin.

ur2k
September 28th, 2009, 01:06 PM
On the "defending champs argument" Richmond lost its best player from last year.. Neither Villanova or William & Mary did so. The unfortunate thing is that the CAA champ may have two losses and they won't get the #1 seed even if they're the best team.

Nope, Eric Ward is still the QB.

MSU_77
September 28th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Richmond should keep their #1 ranking until they lose, either in the regular season or in the playoffs.

19Duke97
September 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM
UR is #1 until they lose. but if you asked me who is playing the best in the FCS right now it would be UNI.

Eaglegus2
September 28th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Poll should have third option...

"Who cares, both teams will get a chance to beat Richmond"?

Exactly.....beat the Spiders on the field and then we will discuss if either is going to be #1 in the poll.

Dukie95
September 28th, 2009, 01:17 PM
To answer the question.

No.

How does W&M come from being a non-playoff team to the number 1 team after 5 weeks, jumping over UR in the process that happens to be:

1. The national Champ that remains undefeated
2. The team that beat W&M to end last season
3. The team that beat the same team W&M just did, but on the road.

W&M's having a great season so far, but let's not get carried away.

soccerguy315
September 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM
UR is #1 until they lose. but if you asked me who is playing the best in the FCS right now it would be UNI.

shouldn't the team you think is the best get your #1 vote?

19Duke97
September 28th, 2009, 01:39 PM
shouldn't the team you think is the best get your #1 vote?

That's an excellent question, but my feeling is that the champion should always remain #1 until beaten. In any event the difference between 1 and 2 is minute, and in the end if they were to meet, they would do so on a neutral field. I think polls this early in the season are more for the fans and talk than true reality, but we have to start from some point. I would not be shocked to see every CAA team get knocked off once by each other, at which point UNI would get my #1 vote unless they lose.

Hoyadestroya85
September 28th, 2009, 01:49 PM
To answer the question.

No.

How does W&M come from being a non-playoff team to the number 1 team after 5 weeks, jumping over UR in the process that happens to be:

1. The national Champ that remains undefeated
2. The team that beat W&M to end last season
3. The team that beat the same team W&M just did, but on the road.

W&M's having a great season so far, but let's not get carried away.

Answering your questions and adding some thoughts of my own

1. The poll is only to take into account how well the team in question is performing.. the fact that Richmond won last year is just something that should be a reference for a preseason poll You should throw your rankings out and make new ones every week.
2. Villanova Pretty much dominated Richmond last year. The scoreboard didn't show it, but the game wasn't even close.
3. If you want to get into semantics, Delaware should have beaten Richmond and W&M won by more than a touchdown.

4. William & Mary and Villanova have been dominating their FCS opponents.. Richmond has been simply beating them.
5. W&M and Villanova are both in the top 12 in the nation in turnover margin, Richmond is 60th.
6. The two schools playing each other this week rank ahead of Richmond in scoring defense.
7. Richmond has only picked off one pass.. So far this season, the other two have thrown three picks combined.

I think based on stats, you could have a compelling argument that they have a legitimate reason to be number one in the nation. Regardless, the winner of this game will have my number one vote.

Hoyadestroya85
September 28th, 2009, 01:52 PM
That's an excellent question, but my feeling is that the champion should always remain #1 until beaten. In any event the difference between 1 and 2 is minute, and in the end if they were to meet, they would do so on a neutral field. I think polls this early in the season are more for the fans and talk than true reality, but we have to start from some point. I would not be shocked to see every CAA team get knocked off once by each other, at which point UNI would get my #1 vote unless they lose.

That logic is incredibly flawed.. What if the Champions lose their 10 or 15 starters, the head coach and a superstar player? The number one team should be the team playing the best ball. And a win by either of these teams would be the biggest quality win by any team to this point in the season.

CDT_Wilson
September 28th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Actually Duke has been improving for a while. They had a pretty decent team last year that got killed by injuries. They should be right in the mix of the ACC this year, though gonna have another bad beating next weekend, they have a good shot to run a few wins together after that.

And we have all seen how awesome the ACC's football is this year Florida St got beat by So Florida, and we all saw how the seasons gone for duke and Virgina.

It is so hard to make comparisons, it's like comparing apples and broccoli. I keep coming back to wanting a CAA vs. MVFC challenge week, maybe the second week of the season. It would answer a lot of questions about who should be seeded where come playoff time.

Dukie95
September 28th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hoya, you've got a case for Villanova. But again, how does W&M make it to number 1 only 5 weeks removed from being left out of the playoffs? Was the UVA win THAT impressive?

I think W&M is a bit overrated, which also speaks to where I might put Nova should they beat W&M, which isn't #1.

If I'm a Nova fan, I'm scratching my head at this...Nova got NO respect last year for having a great team, then W&M is able to waltz into the top 5.

Dukie95
September 28th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I hit the wrong button before, meant to click "Go Advanced", I'll finish here.

But, If I'm going to remove personal opinion and assume those rankings are what they are, a Nova win makes it close. A W&M win replaces Nova in the #2 spot.

MasonJar
September 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM

To quote Rick Flair: "to be the man, you gotta beat the man!" xcoolx

'Till someone beats the Spiders, #1 shouldn't change! xnodx

Hoyadestroya85
September 28th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Hoya, you've got a case for Villanova. But again, how does W&M make it to number 1 only 5 weeks removed from being left out of the playoffs? Was the UVA win THAT impressive?

I think W&M is a bit overrated, which also speaks to where I might put Nova should they beat W&M, which isn't #1.

If I'm a Nova fan, I'm scratching my head at this...Nova got NO respect last year for having a great team, then W&M is able to waltz into the top 5.

I hit the wrong button before, meant to click "Go Advanced", I'll finish here.

But, If I'm going to remove personal opinion and assume those rankings are what they are, a Nova win makes it close. A W&M win replaces Nova in the #2 spot.
All good points.. I thought Villanova got shafted last year in seeding considering we lost two games all regular season one to a team that won a half decent bowl game and another on one of the most ridiculous plays i've ever seen. I do think though that W&M deserved to be in the dance last year instead of Maine. This year Villanova would still be behind App St. had they beaten either McNeese or ECU.. but that's what happens when you're a small school playing amongst a lot of bigger ones.

Eight Legger
September 28th, 2009, 06:15 PM

1. The poll is only to take into account how well the team in question is performing.. the fact that Richmond won last year is just something that should be a reference for a preseason poll You should throw your rankings out and make new ones every week.
2. Villanova Pretty much dominated Richmond last year. The scoreboard didn't show it, but the game wasn't even close.
3. If you want to get into semantics, Delaware should have beaten Richmond and W&M won by more than a touchdown.

4. William & Mary and Villanova have been dominating their FCS opponents.. Richmond has been simply beating them.
5. W&M and Villanova are both in the top 12 in the nation in turnover margin, Richmond is 60th.
6. The two schools playing each other this week rank ahead of Richmond in scoring defense.
7. Richmond has only picked off one pass.. So far this season, the other two have thrown three picks combined.

I think based on stats, you could have a compelling argument that they have a legitimate reason to be number one in the nation. Regardless, the winner of this game will have my number one vote.

How much did you want us to beat Hofstra by, again? 47-0 wasn't enough for ya? The VMI game was a 17-point spread most of the way. So we didn't win by 60 as I had hoped. Darn. The Delaware game was on the road, and yeah, we played a terrible game...but still won in a touch environment! W&M beat Delaware by 10 at home. I suspect we'd do the same down here.

All that said, W&M and Villanova are two excellent teams, and it wouldn't surprise me if one or both beat us. I am anxious for both games, and I expect us (realistically) to split.

Hoyadestroya85
September 28th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I forgot about the hofstra game.. my mistake. Turnover margin was the argument i was most proud of

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 28th, 2009, 06:54 PM

Your team will get its chance to prove itself. You are really selling the Cats like a Used-Car Salesman.

We will all get to see the CARFAX on the Cats soon enough, my friend. xrulesx

TheTribeHasSpoken
September 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
If I'm a Nova fan, I'm scratching my head at this...Nova got NO respect last year for having a great team, then W&M is able to waltz into the top 5.Really? Waltz into the top 5? How about beat a BCS team and dominate a top 20 team(that, by the way, gave the spiders all they could handle a few weeks back). W&M has the most impressive resume to this point in the FCS, to say they are undeserving of their top 5 ranking is ridiculous.

Hoyadestroya85
September 28th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I think William & Mary have proved the most so far and a win by either team in this game will make one team in the nation with two real quality wins (i'm talking to you, UNI fans)

JMU Newbill
September 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
To be the man.... woooooooooooo! you've gotta beat the man

JMU Newbill
September 28th, 2009, 07:37 PM
so no, richmond is #1 until they give reason not to be

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 28th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Richmond should remain # 1 until they lose.

BDKJMU
September 28th, 2009, 09:56 PM

And Nova lost 4 players off their defense that got All CAA honors, which combined was probably as great a loss as Sidbury/Logan.

-All 3 teams are very good

-This arguement is pointless and retarded, as the following are the CAA matchups with the probably 7 best CAA teams that with the exception of UD I assume are in the top 10-15 in these polls that I'm making a point to try to not to pay attention to. 2 of these games down. 14 to go.
Oct 3:--W&M @ Nova
Oct 10: Nova @ UNH
-----------UR @ JMU
-----------UMass @ UD
Oct 17: Nova @ JMU
-----------UNH @ UMass
Oct 24: JMU @ W&M
-----------UMass @ UR
Oct 31: JMU @ UD
Nov 7: --Nova @ UR
Nov 14: JMU @ UMass
-----------W&M @ UNH
Nov 21: W&M @ UR
-----------UD @ Nova

This IS GOING TO BE DECIDED ON THE FIELD! PERIOD! Not in some internet debate. So on Nova 21 you'll know who is #1, at least as far as the CAA goes.

BDKJMU
September 28th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I read through 4 pages of this thread and stopped because I couldn't take it anymore. If anyone is getting their panties in a wad over where their team is and who should be ranked what where blah, blah, wah, wah, in stupid poll(s) IN SEPTEMBER for Pete's sake you have issues and should seek mental help!xrolleyesx

Native
September 28th, 2009, 10:12 PM
It's only a poll, not a coronation!

Once the season begins, a team's body of work for that season should be the prime consideration.

WMTribe90
September 28th, 2009, 10:18 PM

I will be voting the winner of this game number 1 unless both teams play poorly.

Dukie, wether or not WM made the playoffs last year has absolutely no bearing on this year's rankings. If WM beats VU, WM will have the best resume of any team in IAA for this season. There is no statistical basis to your claim that WM is overrated. We didn't waltz into the top five. We beat our first four opponents convincingly, including an ACC team, ranked UD (much more convincingly than UR) and a legit CCSU squad.

I won't be on here crying IF we win and we're not ranked one, but I'd like to know who would have a better resume after five weeks?

Hoyadestroya85
September 28th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I read through 4 pages if this thread and stopped because I couldn't take it anymore. If anyone is getting their panties in a wad over where their team is and who should be ranked what where blah, blah, wah, wah, in stupid poll(s) IN SEPTEMBER for Pete's sake you have issues and should seek mental help!xrolleyesx

Rankings in September screwed Villanova out of a seed last year xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
September 28th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Richmond should remain # 1 until they lose.

Say Villanova beats W&M this week, wins at UNH next week and then at Bridgeforth the week after that making them 7-0 with four quality wins. Do you stand by your statement if this scenario occurs. All I'm saying is that you have to vote for a teams body of work this year. W&M has the best resume of any team so far.

Dukie95
September 29th, 2009, 06:46 AM
William and Mary does have the best resume.

My point was simply this:

Last year, Villanova had a great season. Entering the playoffs, they had a loss to WVU and a hail-mary loss to JMU (the clear #1), but still had trouble cracking the top 5. They never got the credit they deserved.

W&M is coming off a mediocre season in which they missed the playoffs, but a win against UVA (and MEAC and NEC) is all that's needed for them to reach the top 5 and garner #1 votes? (this happened before the UD game, btw)

It looks like the polls give some teams the benefit of the doubt more than others.

BDKJMU's right. It doesn't matter anyway, and this will be a very interesting season in the CAA South.

DSUrocks07
September 29th, 2009, 07:08 AM
If they were in a seperate conference than Richmond then yes. But the fact is that BOTH 'nova and W&M will get their shots at Richmond this season. If that wasn't the case then they would have the argument for being #1. The winner will get some first place votes...but they shouldn't be ranked #1. That team is Richmond until proven otherwise.

ur2k
September 29th, 2009, 08:51 AM
That logic is incredibly flawed.. What if the Champions lose their 10 or 15 starters, the head coach and a superstar player? The number one team should be the team playing the best ball. And a win by either of these teams would be the biggest quality win by any team to this point in the season.

But that's not the case here. UR has come back loaded and is 4-0 at this point. Nova will get their chance, as will JMU and W&M to knock us off.

mcveyrl
September 29th, 2009, 09:12 AM
A prayer and a heave screwed Villanova out of a seed last year xthumbsupx

Fixed that one for you...xsmiley_wix

Hoyadestroya85
September 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Fixed that one for you...xsmiley_wix

Ugh.. i still have a sour taste in my mouth from that game.

mcveyrl
September 29th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Ugh.. i still have a sour taste in my mouth from that game.

You'll have your chance (well, I guess you had your chance last November, but...:D).

I'll be at this one, so I hope it's not a repeat of the monsoon!

KAUMASS
September 29th, 2009, 10:47 AM
If either 'Nova or W&M dominates this game, they should be bumped to No 1 after UR's lackluster win against VMI.

Hoyadestroya85
September 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM
That was a terrible horrible no good very bad day. Not only did i see something that i didn't like, i got arrested and then had the chills all night.

wideright82
September 29th, 2009, 11:07 AM
That was a terrible horrible no good very bad day. Not only did i see something that i didn't like, i got arrested and then had the chills all night.

haha my buddy got arrested and tazed that night at Kelly's. Overall bad day/night... i agree.

2004 was miserable to. Not only was it a monsoon, but I couldn't even leave the game. I had to stand on those damn sidelines for the whole loss in nothing but football pads. Rain + JMU = a hatred like the one I have for Delaware

WestCoastAggie
September 29th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Northern Iowa should be #1 in all polls. FYI: Iowa is in the top 10 in the FBS Coaches Poll.

Hoyadestroya85
September 29th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Northern Iowa should be #1 in all polls. FYI: Iowa is in the top 10 in the FBS Coaches Poll.

Did Northern Iowa beat Iowa? No, they found a way to lose. Good teams win close games.

PantherRob82
September 29th, 2009, 12:10 PM

I'm sure they wouldn't be unanimous.

CDT_Wilson
September 29th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Did Northern Iowa beat Iowa? No, they found a way to lose. Good teams win close games.

You might want to get a copy of the video of that game and reevaluate your opinion. Even Iowa's coach said they got their butts kicked up and down the field, save for a couple big plays. Iowa isn't a rebuilding ACC team as evident by their record and last Saturdays Penn St game.

wideright82
September 29th, 2009, 03:34 PM
You might want to get a copy of the video of that game and reevaluate your opinion. Even Iowa's coach said they got their butts kicked up and down the field, save for a couple big plays. Iowa isn't a rebuilding ACC team as evident by their record and last Saturdays Penn St game.

Much easier to say that when you don't get beat on the score board. xwhistlex

Keep this in mind. Iowa was SO determined to beat you guys they blocke TWO kicks in a row. TWO KICKS!!!! That's insanity. I never even had that happen during punt block drills and that was the idea of the drill.xlolxxlolxxlolx

Hoyadestroya85
September 29th, 2009, 04:31 PM
We needed a kicker's perspective for this.. thank you

BDKJMU
September 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Rankings in September screwed Villanova out of a seed last year xthumbsupx

I thought a hail mary screwed Nova out a seed last yr? xsmiley_wix

UNIFanSince1983
September 29th, 2009, 07:44 PM

Yes good teams find a way to win close games. You just said it yourself. Always one team has to lose (unless it is regular season NFL and my Bengals...). So you are calling Iowa a good team, and I think the rest of the country is calling them a good team.

I don't, however, think UNI should be rated #1. In fact I think somewhere in the lower top 10 is all we have proven so far this year. I just think the logic you used for our loss to Iowa is flawed.

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 29th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Say Villanova beats W&M this week, wins at UNH next week and then at Bridgeforth the week after that making them 7-0 with four quality wins. Do you stand by your statement if this scenario occurs. All I'm saying is that you have to vote for a teams body of work this year. W&M has the best resume of any team so far.

There are way to many IF's in this scenario.....take it game by game......#1 is only good after the championship game......

Go Dukes

ValleyChamp
September 29th, 2009, 08:26 PM
LMAO at nova fan giving UNI crap for the Iowa game. Too bad we couldn't play the Temple Little Sisters of the Poor like Nova did.

wideright82
September 29th, 2009, 09:39 PM
LMAO at nova fan giving UNI crap for the Iowa game. Too bad we couldn't play the Temple Little Sisters of the Poor like Nova did.

No see the problem is the people who LOST a game giving the people who won a game crap for WINNING. It's all we've heard. Bravo on coming close. BRA.....VO. the fact is the reason you lost is because your TEAM was not good enough. Think that will be the first time your special teams collapses in the clutch? I doubt it... considering something happened to you that I have NEVER seen happen in my life.

3 aspects of the sport. 1 clearly wasn't good enough to cut it. Sorry. Villanova hit their last second field goal. You Didn't. We won... you lost..... with a mulliganxthumbsupx

oh btw. You guys ALMOST beat Richmond last year. Wanna know what we did? Won..... AGAIN (too bad there's no choke smiley on this huh. could just put a UNI jersey on it to make it PERFECT)

Hoyadestroya85
September 29th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Prediction: UNI will lose to SIU this year.

UNIFanSince1983
September 29th, 2009, 10:07 PM
You didn't win it all, so your season last year ended the same way ours did at home watching Richmond take home the championship.

Hoyadestroya85
September 29th, 2009, 10:08 PM
One more thing, Quality wins mean more than good losses

Hoyadestroya85
September 29th, 2009, 10:10 PM
You didn't win it all, so your season last year ended the same way ours did at home watching Richmond take home the championship.

yes, but we did handily beat Richmond during the regular season, ran for over 200 yards if i remember correctly.

UNIFanSince1983
September 29th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Prediction: UNI will lose to SIU this year.

If you were smart you would have said SDSU. We get SIU at home this year, and in this crazy series the home team has won every game since 1983, and it is our homecoming. Going to SDSU for Hobo Day they have the better shot at winning against us, and I think they are better than SIU this year.

My prediction is that you guys lose to Bill and Mary this weekend! The beauty of our level of football too is that you can lose one game and still win the national championship. Heck you could lose 3 games and still take home the trophy! xthumbsupx

wideright82
September 29th, 2009, 10:14 PM

I know. Difference between the two teams is this year we started with a win. xlolxxlolx

UNIFanSince1983
September 29th, 2009, 10:21 PM
To me I don't care about starting with a win as long as we end with one. I don't know why you guys are all over me. I would have you guys ranked #2. I just do not think it is fair to have the winner of this game leapfrog Richmond, even though they would have a better resume to date. It is hard for me to move the #1 team down without them losing.

Are you guys still that sore that we received a seed last year and you didn't? You know us here at UNI had nothing to do with that. It may not be fair, but because you don't have the history of some teams you have to fight harder, and win more to get respected. I think we can have a better discussion about our teams in November when we truly know more about what either one of our teams is about. Right now your wins over Temple, Lehigh, Penn, and Northeastern don't really say much. Our wins over South Dakota, St. Francis, and Missouri State say even less.

So in a few weeks (for you guys by next week) we really get to start seeing who are contenders and who are pretenders.

wideright82
September 29th, 2009, 10:35 PM
To me I don't care about starting with a win as long as we end with one. I don't know why you guys are all over me. I would have you guys ranked #2. I just do not think it is fair to have the winner of this game leapfrog Richmond, even though they would have a better resume to date. It is hard for me to move the #1 team down without them losing.

Are you guys still that sore that we received a seed last year and you didn't? You know us here at UNI had nothing to do with that. It may not be fair, but because you don't have the history of some teams you have to fight harder, and win more to get respected. I think we can have a better discussion about our teams in November when we truly know more about what either one of our teams is about. Right now your wins over Temple, Lehigh, Penn, and Northeastern don't really say much. Our wins over South Dakota, St. Francis, and Missouri State say even less.

So in a few weeks (for you guys by next week) we really get to start seeing who are contenders and who are pretenders.

I don't really think I was "all over you." none of my posts except the one with a laughing smiley after it were even directed at you.

I am not sore about you guys getting a seed over us. We couldn't beat JMU last year. Apparently the only way to do that is to force 4 turnovers.

Here I'll lay out my beef for you.... not with you.

UNI lost. UNI didn't beat Temple. Yet still they seem to think they would have fared just the same. I can assume Villanova would lose to Iowa, that's not difficult to do. See it is easy for a winner to become a loser, but it takes a delusional person to think they, as a loser, can become a winner just because they are convinced of a particular outcome. Go beat Temple this year. Go beat UVA this year. Go beat Duke this year. We can easily go lose to Iowa, again that doesn't take any skill. Will it be as close? Who knows. However,that margin, like your ability to beat the FBS teams that the CAA has are purely speculation, have no factual base, and are not relevant in voting for poll position. So in other words, I'm sick of hearing how "easy" our wins were.

However, I do not think we should leapfrog Richmond either. So in this thread really I am just commenting on the logic of certain posters arguments.

god i sound like danefan xoopsx

UNIFanSince1983
September 29th, 2009, 10:56 PM
That makes complete sense. And please don't assume all of us UNI fans are like the ones who just assume we would beat Temple, Duke, or UVA. I know those are not easy wins. Hell even when Iowa State sucks we still lose to them more than we win against them. FBS wins, even against lower class FBS teams, are very hard to come by. If they weren't there would be more than 5-10 in any given year.

I guess I just assume when people talk about UNI they are talking about all of us, I forget that some of our posters have a problem with being humble...

xpeacex

Good luck to the Wildcats this weekend! xthumbsupx

wideright82
September 29th, 2009, 11:21 PM
That makes complete sense. And please don't assume all of us UNI fans are like the ones who just assume we would beat Temple, Duke, or UVA. I know those are not easy wins. Hell even when Iowa State sucks we still lose to them more than we win against them. FBS wins, even against lower class FBS teams, are very hard to come by. If they weren't there would be more than 5-10 in any given year.

I guess I just assume when people talk about UNI they are talking about all of us, I forget that some of our posters have a problem with being humble...

xpeacex

Good luck to the Wildcats this weekend! xthumbsupx

Thanks, man, this is going to be a tough week. I'd say good luck to you guys but that would be insulting given your opponent, so have fun this week scoring touchdowns, I know we did this past week xlolxxlolx

Silenoz
October 3rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Nova already is my #1... so I'd say they're looking safe to keep that spot at this point xnodx