September 27th, 2009, 02:28 PM
October 3, 2009:

HOLY CROSS @ Northeastern
Harvard @ LEHIGH
LAFAYETTE @ Yale
Old Dominion @ FORDHAM
GEORGETOWN @ BUCKNELL
Cornell @ COLGATE

The League went 2-2 vs. OOC this week, bringing the 2009 totals to 8-10.

vs. Big South: 1-1
vs. CAA: 0-2
vs. Ivy League: 3-4
vs. MEAC: 0-1
vs. NEC: 3-2
vs. Pioneer: 1-0

Standings after week 4:

Colgate 1-0 PL, 4-0 Total
Holy Cross 1-0, 3-0
Lafayette 1-0, 2-1
Bucknell 0-0, 2-2
Lehigh 0-0, 0-3
Fordham 0-1, 0-3
Georgetown 0-2, 0-4

hawkineer
September 27th, 2009, 04:24 PM
HOLY CROSS @ Northeastern Easy Win for the Crusaders xthumbsupx
Harvard @ LEHIGH Unlike Lehigh coaches I think with my head rather than my heart. (PLAY LUM)xnonono2x
LAFAYETTE @ Yale LFN thinks LU can beat Yale, more than enough for me to pick the spotted cats.
Old Dominion @ FORDHAM Appear have to started a solid program.
GEORGETOWN @ BUCKNELL xlolxxlolxxlolx
Cornell @ COLGATE Got to envy the consistency of the Raider program.xbowx

Pard94
September 27th, 2009, 05:21 PM
HOLY CROSS @ Northeastern Easy Win for the Crusaders xthumbsupx
Harvard @ LEHIGH Unlike Lehigh coaches I think with my head rather than my heart. (PLAY LUM)xnonono2x
LAFAYETTE @ Yale LFN thinks LU can beat Yale, more than enough for me to pick the spotted cats.
Old Dominion @ FORDHAM Appear have to started a solid program.
GEORGETOWN @ BUCKNELL xlolxxlolxxlolx
Cornell @ COLGATE Got to envy the consistency of the Raider program.xbowx

Holy Cross beats Northeastern - 28-7 - Crusaders continue their Crusade

Harvard beats the living hell out of Lehigh - 42-10 - Lehigh realizes their problems are too deep for Lum alone to fix. Coen settles on a moving company. Lehigh fans look for their next victim, err...I mean Coach to line up for slaughter. And I smile. I never root for Lehigh...I don't care if they are playing OOC.xnodx

Lafayette beats Yale - 28-7 - The Leopards keep winning. People "in the know" keep ignoring us (which is just fine) and Carney has to rethink the plausibility of curses.

Old Dominion beats Fordham - 17-13 - I hate to say it but I think Fordham is officially spooked at this point.

Georgetown beats Bucknell - 10-7 - That's right. I said it. I will very likely regret it...but I said it.xeekx

Colgate beats Cornell - 28-21 - I damn near picked this the other way just because of the rivalry coupled with the fact that I am still under the influence of the model glue that I was huffing when I picked Georgetown to beat Bucknell.

carney2
September 27th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Holy Cross As Joe Paterno once said about his 1st game with Temple, “What drunk scheduled this thing?” Patermo came close to eating his words, but Dom the Bomb will make sour mash out of the pitiful Huskies.

Harvard @ LEHIGH
Harvard Lum or no Lum, the ChickenSquawks have given absolutely no indication that they are up to this challenge.

LAFAYETTE @ Yale
Lafayette I should know better. Not a lot of games played, but this series goes back almost 100 years, and the Pards have yet to record their first “W.” The Curse lives! Weather permitting however, I will be in attendance and that, I am certain, should be enough to ward off the Ivy Axis of Evil. If things are particularly dicey in the 4th quarter I shall burn Pard94 in effigy and loose my basset hound on that mangy bulldog.

Old Dominion @ FORDHAM
Fordham ODU Is better than expected, but if the Rams can’t win this one – at home, no less – they should cancel the football scholarships and invest the money in a campus-wide Regaining Self Respect seminar. Besides, our PL entry from The Bronx showed a little life last week up on the tundra.

Cornell @ COLGATE
Cornell Going against the chalk and all known logic to pick my upset special.

GEORGETOWN @ BUCKNELL
Bucknell If there were truly justice in this world, this one would end a 0-0 tie AND KenZ would have his diploma repossessed by an institution that regrets its greatest admissions blunder.

ngineer
September 27th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Dominique continues to dominate.. Holy Cross 38-14

No reason to think Mountain Hawks will win this game based on performance to date. I'll be rooting like hell for them, but I wouldn't even bet my lunch money. Harvard, 24-16.

Lafayette has been playing halvesies of late, so I 'half' a mind to go with the Yalies in the grand toilet bowl. However, I think LC now has some momentum and can win this game, but only if Curley shows up. So with Curley, LC 27-21. Without Curley, Yale 21-13.

Fordham showed some spunk and instead of skunk at Hamilton, so maybe they can pull this one off at home. Still ODU has been positioning for its grand entrance into the CAA, so I'm going with the 'odes', 33-24.

My upset special, Hoyas break through with a scintillating 16-14 win. You heard it first, (well second, I note Pard94 is hallucinating, too).

Another toss-up in my book. But how can you vote for a team nicknamed for a chewing gum? Gotta go with my PL bretheran despite their scare with the Rams this week. Maybe it woke them up. Raiders, 27-24.

bulldog10jw
September 27th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Lafayette beats Yale - 28-7 - The Leopards keep winning. People "in the know" keep ignoring us (which is just fine) and Carney has to rethink the plausibility of curses.

You may be correct, LC could very well win, but it has been quite a few games since Yale gave up 28 points. I think it was against Holy Cross early last year and that game went to OT.

letsgopards04
September 28th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Keeping it simple this week.

Harvard @ LEHIGH
LAFAYETTE @ Yale
Old Dominion @ FORDHAM
GEORGETOWN @ BUCKNELL
Cornell @ COLGATE

breezy
September 28th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Holy Cross
Harvard
Lafayette
Fordham
Bucknell
Colgate

Franks Tanks
September 28th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Yale and Lafayette both have very good D's and suspect O's (without Curley)

I think Lafayette's O squeaks out just enough points for a 16-13 win at the bowl.

bulldog10jw
September 28th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Yale and Lafayette both have very good D's and suspect O's (without Curley)

I think Lafayette's O squeaks out just enough points for a 16-13 win at the bowl.

It may be cliche, but turnovers will be a big factor. If Yale can make LC drive the length of the field, and Yale does have a very good punter and usually wins the field position battle, they may have a shot.

If Yale turns it over, as they have the first two weeks, they are in trouble.

DFW HOYA
September 28th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Harvard @ LEHIGH
Harvard Lum or no Lum, the ChickenSquawks have given absolutely no indication that they are up to this challenge.

One week removed from a possible 0-5 Georgetown vs. an 0-4 Lehigh showdown at Goodman. Amazing.

Franks Tanks
September 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
It may be cliche, but turnovers will be a big factor. If Yale can make LC drive the length of the field, and Yale does have a very good punter and usually wins the field position battle, they may have a shot.

If Yale turns it over, as they have the first two weeks, they are in trouble.

Agreed--I doubt either team will be able to move the ball consistently so a big play or turnover could be all it takes to make the difference.

Pards Rule
September 28th, 2009, 08:45 AM
So is O'Neill starting then? How long is Curley out?

Franks Tanks
September 28th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Dont think we know at this point. As Carney points out on the Lafayette board new information suggests that Curley may not have sustained an official concussion.

Pard94
September 28th, 2009, 09:02 AM
You may be correct, LC could very well win, but it has been quite a few games since Yale gave up 28 points. I think it was against Holy Cross early last year and that game went to OT.

You may well be correct. I'm just guessing/hoping that Lafayette actually puts together and entire game that resembles last week's first half effort against Penn. This was a Penn team that had an all league nose guard, all league line backer and all world d-back and I'm telling you Lafayette looked like the 07 Patriots. Curely had racked up 200 yards in passing distributing the ball to 6 different receivers in one half. Numerous times Curely was lined up in the backfield all by himself! This is not Lafayette football! Of course they looked much more pedestrian in the 2nd half and when Curely went out we went into survival mode.

By the way, my prediction is based on Curely playing. If O'Neli plays Yale wins 14-3. No slight against O'Neil...he's just not a winning starting QB at this level yet. He's not expected to be. Hopefully he learns a lot from any time he gets this year.

jimbo65
September 28th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Well this year has certainly turned out to be a bust for my Rams. 0-3 primarily due to poor defense with a dash of homecooking by the refs at the conclusion of Saturday's game with the Gate.

Perhaps we'll right the ship v. ODU this week.

HC over northeastern

Harvard over lehigh

Pards over Yale

Fordham over odu (I hope)

Bucknell over gtown

Colgate over cornell

RichH2
September 28th, 2009, 09:54 AM
As depressed as I am, going to stick with PL sweep. A make or break for Coen. Given his history, unfortunatley see team playiing much better vs Harvard but not good enuf to win. But I will root for the sweep anyway. Rest of PL should win

carney2
September 28th, 2009, 10:31 AM
A make or break for Coen.

C'mon, Rich, every week is "make or break for Coen" if we listen to the regulars on this board. Stopping for a reality check, what are the chances that a Patriot League school actually fires a football coach for anything short of raping a cheerleader? I'm sure that someone has this info, but I don't: name the last time that a Patriot League coach was dismissed solely because of his win-loss record. Maybe Bob Benson at Georgetown, but I was never too clear on that. Besides, Benson was there for what, 13 years or so before he got shown the door? Dismissing a football coach for not winning is like too much emphasis on athletics and sticks in the craw of Patriot League administrators. In any event, I don't see a firing as a done deal at Lehigh. A resignation under pressure is another matter altogether.

crusader11
September 28th, 2009, 10:33 AM

Just a fun fact, Ryan O'Neill is the brother of former Holy Cross quarterback John O'Neill. I think John graduated in either '05 or '06 from the Cross.

Pard94
September 28th, 2009, 10:43 AM
C'mon, Rich, every week is "make or break for Coen" if we listen to the regulars on this board. Stopping for a reality check, what are the chances that a Patriot League school actually fires a football coach for anything short of raping a cheerleader? I'm sure that someone has this info, but I don't: name the last time that a Patriot League coach was dismissed solely because of his win-loss record. Maybe Bob Benson at Georgetown, but I was never too clear on that. Besides, Benson was there for what, 13 years or so before he got shown the door? Dismissing a football coach for not winning is like too much emphasis on athletics and sticks in the craw of Patriot League administrators. In any event, I don't see a firing as a done deal at Lehigh. A resignation under pressure is another matter altogether.

just to be clear...firing isn't the same thing as being effectively run out of town by a fan base suffering from hopeless delusions of grandeur, right?

Pard94
September 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Just a fun fact, Ryan O'Neill is the brother of former Holy Cross quarterback John O'Neill. I think John graduated in either '05 or '06 from the Cross.

That is a fun fact. It would be a whole lot more fun if I didn't have to know it for another year or two though. xrolleyesx

Ivytalk
September 28th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Holy Cross
Harvard
Yale
Fordham
Bucknell
Colgate

Lehigh Football Nation
September 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM
One week removed from a possible 0-5 Georgetown vs. an 0-4 Lehigh showdown at Goodman. Amazing.

True that. Also very worthy of mention is: had Marist had anything resembling a kicking game, and had Robert Morris not thrown two pick sixes, the bottom four teams in the Patriot League might all be winless.

Furthermore:

* The HC's win over Harvard and Lafayette's win over Penn are by far shaping up to be the biggest OOC wins for the league, though the jury is decidedly out on the quality of those wins, too. Penn is 0-2 and Harvard struggled with Brown this weekend.

* Colgate's wins over 0-2 Dartmouth, 1-2 Monmouth (who struggled before putting away ODU 31-28) and 1-2 Stony Brook are not looking like the strongest of OOC schedules.

* HC's win over Harvard is impressive, but wins over Sacred Heart and Georgetown are not going to send hearts-a-fluttering.

* Once you get outside the "big 3", the only out-of-conference wins came against non-scholarship Marist and a limited-scholarship Robert Morris team that gave the game away. And you have OOC losses to 1-2 Howard, 1-1 Princeton, 1-3 Duquesne, and 1-1 Columbia, all of whom are real threats to have sub-.500 records this year. Howard may very well not win another game. I'd be surprised if Princeton finishes at .500.

You have to look at every game on the PL schedule and say it's not a gimme. Seriously. Many people say HC should dominate Northeastern - oh, really? I don't see that as a slam-dunk. Colgate over Cornell? It's a rivalry game, and oh-by-the-way Cornell is 2-0. Lafayette over Yale, Columbia, Harvard? I defer to Carney to talk about Lafayette's struggles with the Ivies over the decades.

Pards Rule
September 28th, 2009, 10:58 AM
One week at a time LFN...Dispatched Penn this past weekend, now lets focus on Yale. Never beaten Yale. We cannot get ahead of ourselves. I agree with Carney - Columbia isn't the easy W grease-up it used to be. And Harvard always is a brute. But I think for the first time these guys believe they dont have a curse hanging over them. Beat Penn three years in a row!!! Now, its on to New Haven and lets win there (apologies to RFK).

RichH2
September 28th, 2009, 11:18 AM
"Hopeless delusions of grandeur" perhaps true but mycomment as to a make or break for Coen was not about his job status. I think if he doesn't turn this team around he will lose them for the rest of the season. Saw a bunch of quotes from kids on team in the papers relaying Coen's pitch to them that the rest of the season were winnable games. At some point the team will stop believing in him and themselves.
While my frustration with Coen and Brown is almost boundless, I try to remember that it took Higgins 4 years to get going. Coen is a great guy so I hope that he can find the answer for his staff and the team.
regardless, 94 I am still going to root for Lafayette to win again this we.ek

Pard94
September 28th, 2009, 11:30 AM
"Hopeless delusions of grandeur" perhaps true but mycomment as to a make or break for Coen was not about his job status. I think if he doesn't turn this team around he will lose them for the rest of the season. Saw a bunch of quotes from kids on team in the papers relaying Coen's pitch to them that the rest of the season were winnable games. At some point the team will stop believing in him and themselves.
While my frustration with Coen and Brown is almost boundless, I try to remember that it took Higgins 4 years to get going. Coen is a great guy so I hope that he can find the answer for his staff and the team.
regardless, 94 I am still going to root for Lafayette to win again this we.ek

Well...I guess you're a bigger man than I Rich...because as I've already indicated I hope you guys get killed. I'm sure you're all good people and I don't wish any of you harm except that I hope Harvard beats you by 30 points. Perhaps I'm uncouth for saying so. I've tried to pretend that I want Lehigh to win all of it's OOC games for the good of the league. I understand the premise. I'm sincere in my desire that every other PL team win all of their OOC games. I just can't force my mind to think good thoughts about Lehigh football. Chalk it up to the strength of the rivalry I guess but I'm not pretending anymore. Nothing personal though...I just have an intense dislike for your alma mater and more specifically your football program.

RichH2
September 28th, 2009, 11:34 AM
No hard feelings 94, I find come november I dont like you guys much eitherxnodx

HoyaMetanoia
September 28th, 2009, 12:15 PM
As bad as Georgetown is, I think this might be the week.

Ivytalk
September 28th, 2009, 12:20 PM
One week at a time LFN...Dispatched Penn this past weekend, now lets focus on Yale. Never beaten Yale. We cannot get ahead of ourselves. I agree with Carney - Columbia isn't the easy W grease-up it used to be. And Harvard always is a brute. But I think for the first time these guys believe they dont have a curse hanging over them. Beat Penn three years in a row!!! Now, its on to New Haven and lets win there (apologies to RFK).

Hey, Pards, couldn't you have selected a less ghoulish RFK quote as a sendoff for your team?xconfusedx:p

ngineer
September 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
That is a fun fact. It would be a whole lot more fun if I didn't have to know it for another year or two though. xrolleyesx

At least he's not Tatum...;)

DFW HOYA
September 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
As bad as Georgetown is, I think this might be the week.

I'm looking at 10/10, which could really send some PL posters over the edge.

ngineer
September 28th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Well...I guess you're a bigger man than I Rich...because as I've already indicated I hope you guys get killed. I'm sure you're all good people and I don't wish any of you harm except that I hope Harvard beats you by 30 points. Perhaps I'm uncouth for saying so. I've tried to pretend that I want Lehigh to win all of it's OOC games for the good of the league. I understand the premise. I'm sincere in my desire that every other PL team win all of their OOC games. I just can't force my mind to think good thoughts about Lehigh football. Chalk it up to the strength of the rivalry I guess but I'm not pretending anymore. Nothing personal though...I just have an intense dislike for your alma mater and more specifically your football program.

Fully understood, as the same goes here. I think 'it' runs deeper if you've actully strapped it up and bled over the rivalry. The only reason I was able to cheer for Lafayette versus Penn is that I despise Penn even more.;)

Pards Rule
September 28th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Hey, Pards, couldn't you have selected a less ghoulish RFK quote as a sendoff for your team?xconfusedx:p

I couldn't think of any! And I'm sure if they do lose Carney will blame me for the my "quote curse" - I do believe you would have been the only one to pick up on it if I didnt put the rejoinder at the end!!

colorless raider
September 28th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Holy Cross
Harvard
Lafayette
Fordham
G'town
Colgate

Go PL!

RichH2
September 28th, 2009, 12:39 PM
engineer, check your PMs. Never look at the darn things. Sorry

carney2
September 28th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I am still going to root for Lafayette to win again this we.ek

Me too.

Pard94
September 28th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Fully understood, as the same goes here. I think 'it' runs deeper if you've actully strapped it up and bled over the rivalry. The only reason I was able to cheer for Lafayette versus Penn is that I despise Penn even more.;)

The only team that comes close to my loathing of all things Lehigh is Villanova. Very arrogant program. When Lehigh plays Nova I hope for a 0-0 tie.

TheValleyRaider
September 28th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Mediocre 2-3 last week, unimpressive 12-9 so far on the season

Holy Cross at Northeastern Holy Cross It's easy to feel down about the PL at the moment, but Holy Cross is still probably the best team, and Northeastern looks pretty bad. Road trips are never easy, but I'll wager the Crusaders keep it going, and salvage a little League pride in Boston

Harvard at Lehigh Harvard So much for the bye helping Lehigh sort things out. Now it starts to get difficult, and you just wonder if there's enough in the tank to bring down one of the Ivy favorites. I know what LU's Ivy record is, but I also know what Coen's is

Lafayette at Yale Lafayette Going out on a limb a bit with this pick, but Lafayette has looked tough this year, while Yale looked fairly impressive against Cornell. Every time I start to actually believe in the Leopards, they seem to let me down, but I'll stick with them for this week

Old Dominion at Fordham Fordham I'd like to know who that was that came to Hamilton on Saturday, because that was not the Fordham team I expected. ODU has looked solid so far, and while I flirted with picking them, the fight the Rams had at the end of the game (both in making their drive and following the game's unfortunately confusing finale) leads me to believe there's something still there for Masella's boys. Hopefully they take their frustrations out on the Monarchs

Georgetown at Bucknell Bucknell I'm taking the Bison because they're at home, and because at least their defense has shown the ability to score points. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else to say here

Cornell at Colgate Colgate Now that SUNY-Ithaca deigns to grace us with their presence at Andy Kerr, I hope we continue the recent series dominance. Cornell won against a punchless Bucknell squad and looked unimpressive against Eli on Saturday. Yes, it's a rivalry, etc., but we rolled up 600 yards of total offense in Ithaca last season. The Big Red Somethings will have to be a lot better to win this one. Here's hoping we're leading the all-time series by the time the 100th arrives

carney2
September 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Every time I start to actually believe in the Leopards, they seem to let me down

Welcome to my world.

RichH2
September 28th, 2009, 03:47 PM
There are some teams that you cant avoid hating, Nova and Penn are at the top for me. Dont worry 94 Pards will top the list come novemberxthumbsupx. Talley drives me crazy. Penn just too arrogant. Still cant forget the 1st time I played vs them at Taylor. They killed us and mocked us at the same time. Never forgot will never forgive.

I would hope we can keep them on the schedule. Altho, UNH will replace Nova, I guess for 11 and 12.

Well on to Harvard.

MDFAN
September 28th, 2009, 05:56 PM
True that. Also very worthy of mention is: had Marist had anything resembling a kicking game, and had Robert Morris not thrown two pick sixes, the bottom four teams in the Patriot League might all be winless.

Furthermore:

* The HC's win over Harvard and Lafayette's win over Penn are by far shaping up to be the biggest OOC wins for the league, though the jury is decidedly out on the quality of those wins, too. Penn is 0-2 and Harvard struggled with Brown this weekend.

* Colgate's wins over 0-2 Dartmouth, 1-2 Monmouth (who struggled before putting away ODU 31-28) and 1-2 Stony Brook are not looking like the strongest of OOC schedules.

* HC's win over Harvard is impressive, but wins over Sacred Heart and Georgetown are not going to send hearts-a-fluttering.

* Once you get outside the "big 3", the only out-of-conference wins came against non-scholarship Marist and a limited-scholarship Robert Morris team that gave the game away. And you have OOC losses to 1-2 Howard, 1-1 Princeton, 1-3 Duquesne, and 1-1 Columbia, all of whom are real threats to have sub-.500 records this year. Howard may very well not win another game. I'd be surprised if Princeton finishes at .500.

You have to look at every game on the PL schedule and say it's not a gimme. Seriously. Many people say HC should dominate Northeastern - oh, really? I don't see that as a slam-dunk. Colgate over Cornell? It's a rivalry game, and oh-by-the-way Cornell is 2-0. Lafayette over Yale, Columbia, Harvard? I defer to Carney to talk about Lafayette's struggles with the Ivies over the decades.

Ahhh but they aren't!!!!

HoyaMetanoia
September 28th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I'm looking at 10/10, which could really send some PL posters over the edge.

It sure would. I mean, look at the list of underclassmen we have lost since last year and you'd be surprised that we had any depth this year (not to mention the backup kicker that was on the roster for exactly 3 days before quitting during preseason):

#13 QB Brice Plebani (http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/plebani_brice00.html)
#14 Slotback Mychal Harrison (http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/harrison_mychal00.html)
#16 CB Enico Jones (http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jones_enico00.html)
#20 Slotback Justin Thomas (http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/thomas_justin00.html)
#39 DB Gerry Reilly (http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/reilly_gerard00.html)
#42 LB Sean McNally (http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mcnally_sean00.html)
#43 RB Keion Wade (http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wade_keion00.html)
#49 Slotback Mark Faison (http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/faison_mark00.html)
#55 LB Tim Waller (http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/waller_tim00.html)
#59 LB Scott Coffman
#60 OL Jon Medina
#64 OL Alex Matzkin
#71 OL Jamie Holloman
#79 DL Chris Leon
#85 TE Nick White
#91 DL Brandon Basso
#95 P Casey Dobyns
#97 K Kilgo Livingston

Pard4Life
September 28th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I kind of like Villanova, but then again I am not from PA, and the Pards never really play them in the major sports.

HATE Penn... If you heard a psycho booing the Penn band loudly at halftime, that was me. Their band leader started showing his impatience as the halftime clock ran down. Liberty sure didn't behave that way (even though we took too long).

So..

Holy Cross 34, Northeastern 17
Harvard 35, Lehigh 20 (Hawks will fight with Lum)
Lafayette 24, Yale 14 (Curley); Yale 14, Lafayette 10 (O'Neill)
Fordham 28, ODU 27
Bucknell 28, Gtown 13
Colgate 21, SUNY-Ithaca 18

Yale won reeeeally ugly last week... QB completion percentage 33, for 73 yrds or so.

DFW HOYA
September 28th, 2009, 07:58 PM
You'd be surprised that we had any depth this year (not to mention the backup kicker that was on the roster for exactly 3 days before quitting during preseason)

Rafael Notario (http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/notario_rafael00.html), we hardly knew ye...

But to be fair, Notario was not a recruited kicker and never played football in high school. To date, the placekicking has not been a major problem this year.

Go...gate
September 28th, 2009, 08:18 PM

Furthermore:

Agreed.

HoyaMetanoia
September 28th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Rafael Notario (http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/notario_rafael00.html), we hardly knew ye...

But to be fair, Notario was not a recruited kicker and never played football in high school. To date, the placekicking has not been a major problem this year.

But it could be next year unless we recruit a kicker. I also wouldn't say it's been a strong suit of the team.

But you understand what I'm saying, we had 18 underclassmen quit, over a quarter of the roster. Even though some of them didn't play last year, it's a serious shot to our depth. Many of those players had contributed, and some were ready to contribute (I'd actually venture a guess to say some of the least prepared freshmen from last year are still on the roster).

hawkineer
September 28th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Perhaps I'm uncouth for saying so. I've tried to pretend that I want Lehigh to win all of it's OOC games for the good of the league. I understand the premise. I'm sincere in my desire that every other PL team win all of their OOC games. I just can't force my mind to think good thoughts about Lehigh football. Chalk it up to the strength of the rivalry I guess but I'm not pretending anymore. Nothing personal though...I just have an intense dislike for your alma mater and more specifically your football program.

In some warped way, I admire your sentiments. I would hope that all LU alumns feels the same way. I know that I do. I wouldn't root for Lafayette in any sports under any circumstances regardless of my contempt for the other school. It just ain't natural! xsmhx

GO YALE! xsmiley_wix

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 28th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Holy Cross 35 @ Northeastern 7. xsmhx Pull the plug on the CAA's Huskies, .....
Harvard 24 @ Lehigh 21 (OT). xsmiley_wix Great game, tough loss for the Ngineers.
Lafayette 21 @ Yale 17. :) The 'pards keep surprising. Yale misses Jack.
Old Dominion 14 @ Fordham 17 xnodx Wilder has ODU going great, but Rams need this one badly
Georgetown 14 @ Bucknell 10. xthumbsupx I gave GU 1 win this year. I. Kempf gets it done for the Hoyas. After BU, the road gets much tougher.
Cornell 24 @ Colgate 27. :D Biddle, Biddle, Biddle. On the road to PL title, .... maybe.

LeopardFan04
September 28th, 2009, 10:47 PM
HATE Penn... If you heard a psycho booing the Penn band loudly at halftime, that was me. Their band leader started showing his impatience as the halftime clock ran down. Liberty sure didn't behave that way (even though we took too long).

I was hoping our band would play for the remainder of halftime, just so that guy could keep throwing a tantrum on the field. I'm sure some others haven't forgotten the Penn band playing over our Alma Mater after the game several years ago. I'm just sad we didn't get to see a sexist, racist, homophobic "band skit" as usual from them. I hate the Penn band. Okay, rant over. xlolx

letsgopards04
September 29th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I was hoping our band would play for the remainder of halftime, just so that guy could keep throwing a tantrum on the field. I'm sure some others haven't forgotten the Penn band playing over our Alma Mater after the game several years ago. I'm just sad we didn't get to see a sexist, racist, homophobic "band skit" as usual from them. I hate the Penn band. Okay, rant over. xlolx

Forget the band I hate everything about Penn. The students are douches. My singing group got invited to do a show at Penn with one of their groups. We got there and they treated us like we were homeless and refused to acknowledge that we even existed.

Pards Rule
September 29th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Penn just basically exhibits an Ivy superiority mentality that I find abhorrent. I hope some tapes of their announcers dissing the Pard squad after the game find their way back to the Field House for next years game.

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Penn just basically exhibits an Ivy superiority mentality that I find abhorrent. I hope some tapes of their announcers dissing the Pard squad after the game find their way back to the Field House for next years game.

Why what were they saying? Was this on radio?

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2009, 08:33 AM

There are some teams that you cant avoid hating, Nova and Penn are at the top for me. Dont worry 94 Pards will top the list come novemberxthumbsupx. Talley drives me crazy. Penn just too arrogant. Still cant forget the 1st time I played vs them at Taylor. They killed us and mocked us at the same time. Never forgot will never forgive.
I would hope we can keep them on the schedule. Altho, UNH will replace Nova, I guess for 11 and 12.

Well on to Harvard.

I kind of like Villanova, but then again I am not from PA, and the Pards never really play them in the major sports.

So..

Holy Cross 34, Northeastern 17
Harvard 35, Lehigh 20 (Hawks will fight with Lum)
Lafayette 24, Yale 14 (Curley); Yale 14, Lafayette 10 (O'Neill)
Fordham 28, ODU 27
Bucknell 28, Gtown 13
Colgate 21, SUNY-Ithaca 18

Yale won reeeeally ugly last week... QB completion percentage 33, for 73 yrds or so.

Forget the band I hate everything about Penn. The students are douches. My singing group got invited to do a show at Penn with one of their groups. We got there and they treated us like we were homeless and refused to acknowledge that we even existed.

I like the way you guys think!:D

For Penn to display an "Ivy superiority mentality" is ludicrous, considering that Bagnoli takes players that would have no chance of admission elsewhere in the league. Bunch of whiny juveniles, including the coaches. I hope Harvard treats its PL foes with more respect. I know there was an unfortunate incident at Holy Cross several years ago...hope it hasn't been repeated.xpeacex

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2009, 08:39 AM

I have not forgtten that... President Rodin had to issue an apology. This was after they unceremoniously ran up the score. We haven't lost a game as badly since. In the papers Bagnoli was saying they should play more in Philly since this is the second straight game in Easton. Um, 1) we play at Franklin the next two years 2) Penn owes us like 40 games in Easton. This probably why we have such a terrible record against them. What curse carney? It's old fashion home field advantage. Also, we are likely to blame too because the Pards reciveved more gate from a larger crowd in PHL.

Penn tried to screw us big-time in 1896 by only offering us $150 on a game that would earn 10k plus. So, we just pounded their as*es instead and won a share of the national title. First time a Big Four school lost to a smaller one too.

wideright82
September 29th, 2009, 08:42 AM
The only team that comes close to my loathing of all things Lehigh is Villanova. Very arrogant program. When Lehigh plays Nova I hope for a 0-0 tie.

That's funny. In the 4 years I played at Nova I only heard Lafayette when one of my buddies was goign to the Lehigh Lafayette game. Outside of that, I don't think you were ever mentioned. Glad to know a program so distantly related to yours can be so hated. hopefully we will get to play in the near future and you can see that arrogance up close and personal. xthumbsupx

Pard94
September 29th, 2009, 08:50 AM
In some warped way, I admire your sentiments. I would hope that all LU alumns feels the same way. I know that I do. I wouldn't root for Lafayette in any sports under any circumstances regardless of my contempt for the other school. It just ain't natural! xsmhx

GO YALE! xsmiley_wix

Fair enough. Enough of this PC nonsense that bitter rivals need to root for each other for the betterment of the PL. I look at it this way...I'd almost certainly have a beer with an LU fan at a telecast of The Rivalry prior to kick off. We could toast to a good game and that everyone comes out of the contest healthy. However, if we had much more than a beer I'm sure it would eventually come to blows so best we stick to our own side of the bar. And that's fine!xbeerchugx

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Harvard 24 @ Lehigh 21 (OT). xsmiley_wix Great game, tough loss for the Ngineers.

You, sir, are a cruel, cruel man. xsmiley_wix

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM

I think Rafael Notario just became my favorite name for an almost-Hoya ever.

That's just a great athlete name, like Al Del Greco, Bart Starr, Knute Rockne. To bad it didn't work out.

Franks Tanks
September 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM
That's funny. In the 4 years I played at Nova I only heard Lafayette when one of my buddies was goign to the Lehigh Lafayette game. Outside of that, I don't think you were ever mentioned. Glad to know a program so distantly related to yours can be so hated. hopefully we will get to play in the near future and you can see that arrogance up close and personal. xthumbsupx

There is no ill will between Nova and Lafayette overall, just Pard 94 personally with Nova.

Glad Nova didnt have to tire themselves discussing Lafayette.

carney2
September 29th, 2009, 09:06 AM
What curse carney?

THE Curse. It's been posted here and elsewhere on the internet. You're going to have to start paying attention.

Pard94
September 29th, 2009, 09:06 AM

Well I'll try not to lose any sleep over your ignorance. Aside from their general arrogance, my reasons for hating Nova are largely personal. Sufficed to say in my humble opinion Villanova is an FCS program with its priorities completely out of whack. I knew of a Nova player whose nickname was The Experiment because of all of the juice he was doing. His cholesterol was in the high 300's and the team doctor told him he could have a stroke walking to class. But he could bench 500+lbs so he had that going for him. This was hardly an isolated incident. Hey, maybe times have changed and Andy Talley runs a program pure as the driven snow. I tend to doubt it though.

wideright82
September 29th, 2009, 09:07 AM
There is no ill will between Nova and Lafayette overall, just Pard 94 personally with Nova.

Glad Nova didnt have to tire themselves discussing Lafayette.

xlolxxlolx Well it would have been pretty absurd to concern ourselves with you guys considering we don't play you.

wideright82
September 29th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Well I'll try not to lose any sleep over your ignorance. Aside from their general arrogance, my reasons for hating Nova are largely personal. Sufficed to say in my humble opinion Villanova is an FCS program with its priorities completely out of whack. I knew of a Nova player whose nickname was The Experiment because of all of the juice he was doing. His cholesterol was in the high 300's and the team doctor told him he could have a stroke walking to class. But he could bench 500+lbs so he had that going for him. This was hardly an isolated incident. Hey, maybe times have changed and Andy Talley runs a program pure as the driven snow. I tend to doubt it though.

It amazes me that you will call me ignorant, when you are making outrageous claims about my team, family if you will, and their "purity." These are friends of mine you are talking about, so I would respect your "opinion" a little more if it was based on facts outside of 1 guy you "knew." Not to mention it is in the past. I won't disagree with your sentiments towards my school/team, because you are entitled to your opinion. However, to question my teams purity is down right offensive. Guess those playoff drug tests that JD Stolinsky failed last year bypassed the Nova team xwhistlex

Tunkmaster
September 29th, 2009, 09:46 AM

Colgate fired Ed Sweeney after the 1995 season. He had a 6-26-1 record in 3 seasons including 0-11 in '95. He also had time remaining on his contract. Hired some assistant named Biddle to replace him.

Pard94
September 29th, 2009, 09:49 AM
It amazes me that you will call me ignorant, when you are making outrageous claims about my team, family if you will, and their "purity." These are friends of mine you are talking about, so I would respect your "opinion" a little more if it was based on facts outside of 1 guy you "knew." Not to mention it is in the past. I won't disagree with your sentiments towards my school/team, because you are entitled to your opinion. However, to question my teams purity is down right offensive. Guess those playoff drug tests that JD Stolinsky failed on last year bypassed the Nova team

Me calling you ignorant was based on your own admited ignorance of Lafayette College. Didn't call you stupid or anything...just ignorant...of Lafayette football. Remeber that part where you said, "That's funny. In the 4 years I played at Nova I only heard Lafayette when one of my buddies was goign to the Lehigh Lafayette game". That's fine and while I'm sure it's true...it is ignorant.

As for my other comments about Villanova...the "1 guy" I mentioned isn't the only guy I "knew". Not by a long shot. Truth be told my brother (as in blood brother...not "family" in the "if you will" sense that you reference) played for Nova for three years. He eventually transeferred and went on to play an additional two years for Lafayette (at my urging). All of my info came from watching him and what he went through. Out of respect for my brother I won't relay the details of the conversations he had with his position coach and Andy Tally himself. Just know that I'm not talking out of my a** on this. Now before you assume my bro just wan't good enough to hack it at Nova I would say that he was good enough to be all league in the PL and be invited to try out for a couple of NFL teams for what that is worth...and he didn't have to juice to do it.

I assume you had a very different experience at Villanova. Glad to hear it. I'd like to think, as our overall knowledge of the dangers of steroids increases, there is more of an emphasis on getting them out of college football. Back when my brother attended Nova blind eyes were being turned. Admitedly this was over 15 years ago. I sincerely hope that has changed. I still reserve the right to hold the program in low regard based on my family's experience. Oh and incidentally, since we both played college ball at the FCS level, spare me the crap about drug tests. I think we both now how easy it would be to get around the current drug testing system if one were so inclined.

DC 'gater
September 29th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Colgate fired Ed Sweeney after the 1995 season. He had a 6-26-1 record in 3 seasons including 0-11 in '95. He also had time remaining on his contract. Hired some assistant named Biddle to replace him.

Mike Foley went 21-34 from 1988 - 1992 and was fired after the 4-7 1992 season. His firing was the springboard into dark years of Sweeney and the "flaming C".

LEHIGH61
September 29th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Holy Cross is playing Northeastern, for God's sake. You are writing like Coen is coaching!

carney2
September 29th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Anyone predicting this week's games?

wideright82
September 29th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Me calling you ignorant was based on your own admited ignorance of Lafayette College. Didn't call you stupid or anything...just ignorant...of Lafayette football. Remeber that part where you said, "That's funny. In the 4 years I played at Nova I only heard Lafayette when one of my buddies was goign to the Lehigh Lafayette game". That's fine and while I'm sure it's true...it is ignorant.

As for my other comments about Villanova...the "1 guy" I mentioned isn't the only guy I "knew". Not by a long shot. Truth be told my brother (as in blood brother...not "family" in the "if you will" sense that you reference) played for Nova for three years. He eventually transeferred and went on to play an additional two years for Lafayette (at my urging). All of my info came from watching him and what he went through. Out of respect for my brother I won't relay the details of the conversations he had with his position coach and Andy Tally himself. Just know that I'm not talking out of my a** on this. Now before you assume my bro just wan't good enough to hack it at Nova I would say that he was good enough to be all league in the PL and be invited to try out for a couple of NFL teams for what that is worth...and he didn't have to juice to do it.

I assume you had a very different experience at Villanova. Glad to hear it. I'd like to think, as our overall knowledge of the dangers of steroids increases, there is more of an emphasis on getting them out of college football. Back when my brother attended Nova blind eyes were being turned. Admitedly this was over 15 years ago. I sincerely hope that has changed. I still reserve the right to hold the program in low regard based on my family's experience. Oh and incidentally, since we both played college ball at the FCS level, spare me the crap about drug tests. I think we both now how easy it would be to get around the current drug testing system if one were so inclined.

Fair enough. My comment wasn't to look down on Lafayette, just that I didn't understand the animosity you had (so I didn't quite know my ignorance). I hold Lehigh and Lafayette in high regards so the animosity towards Nova was (until now) unwarranted. Believe me, I had my run ins with the coaches, and you are right in season drug tests are an abomination. I now understand your animosity, and while I disagree with some statements, I wholeheartedly agree with others, and some are acutally reasons I look at Villanova Football a certain way. It's an insiders way, which, admittedly you are. Good talk though, really a disagreement about nothing xlolx

Pard94
September 29th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Fair enough. My comment wasn't to look down on Lafayette, just that I didn't understand the animosity you had (so I didn't quite know my ignorance). I hold Lehigh and Lafayette in high regards so the animosity towards Nova was (until now) unwarranted. Believe me, I had my run ins with the coaches, and you are right in season drug tests are an abomination. I now understand your animosity, and while I disagree with some statements, I wholeheartedly agree with others, and some are acutally reasons I look at Villanova Football a certain way. It's an insiders way, which, admittedly you are. Good talk though, really a disagreement about nothing xlolx

Agreed. I'm not sure how we ended up down that path but I'm glad we're off of it now. I think the overall lesson we need to take away from this exchange is, regardless of my past experience with Villanova, I still hate Lehigh more! xlolxxpeacex

Pards Rule
September 29th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Why what were they saying? Was this on radio?

Yes! Course its the announcers who are homers to begin with.

wideright82
September 29th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Agreed. I'm not sure how we ended up down that path but I'm glad we're off of it now. I think the overall lesson we need to take away from this exchange is, regardless of my past experience with Villanova, I still hate Lehigh more! xlolxxpeacex

xlolxxlolx xbeerchugx

DFW HOYA
September 29th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I'm sure that someone has this info, but I don't: name the last time that a Patriot League coach was dismissed solely because of his win-loss record. Maybe Bob Benson at Georgetown, but I was never too clear on that. Besides, Benson was there for what, 13 years or so before he got shown the door?

While Benson technically resigned, wins and losses probably factored in there somewhere. Benson was 72-64, 19-36 since joining the PL, but had grown weary over the MSF impasse (yes, even then) and the tragic loss of his infant daughter. He's now an assistant coach at Colorado Mines (D-II).

Muir turned over a number of coaches early in his tenure, including the coaches for men's and women's soccer, tennis, golf, volleyball, and swimming. His first new hire was Kevin Kelly, who enters this week's game 5-31, 1-18 in the PL. That one win came at Bucknell.

RichH2
September 29th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Lum starting at qb. Should juice the O as long as Brown not allowed to call playsxnodx.

Injuries starting to mount. Walker, Winnett, Brickner, Showunmi out.

LEHIGH61
September 29th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I must apologize. I got Lafayette mixed up with Holy Cross. I guess I'm losing it due to being so upset with Lehigh this year. LOL

DFW HOYA
September 30th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Holy Cross @ Northeastern
4-0 vs. 0-4? Crusaders have to be favored.

Harvard @ Lehigh
Hard to see the Engineers turning it around this week.

Lafayette @ Yale
Leopards have the better team right now.

Old Dominion @ Fordham
Hate to say it, but ODU can win this game.

Cornell @ Colgate
If Colgate is going to make a run, these games will show if they're capable of it.

carney2
September 30th, 2009, 01:10 PM
The official line for week 5:

HOLY CROSS by 7 over Northeastern

Harvard by 5 1/2 over LEHIGH

Yale by 1 over LAFAYETTE

FORDHAM by 17 over Old Dominion

BUCKNELL by 5 over GEORGETOWN

COLGATE by 5 1/2 over Cornell

Pards Rule
September 30th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Carney - do they have a separate line for a Curley start? xlolx

ColgateTD
September 30th, 2009, 01:57 PM
18-3 so far....:D

Holy Cross (Dom the Bomb by a landslide)
Lafayette (for Carney's sake)
Fordham (Skelton gets it right this week)
Bucknell (sorry DFW)
Harvard (Crimson too much for Engineers)
Colgate (this one scares me; big letdown possible)

colorless raider
September 30th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Mike Foley went 21-34 from 1988 - 1992 and was fired after the 4-7 1992 season. His firing was the springboard into dark years of Sweeney and the "flaming C".

THAT was a bad deal, especially with Sweeney being the replacement.

LEHIGH61
September 30th, 2009, 03:22 PM
What a week for a great upset!

ngineer
September 30th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Lum starting at qb. Should juice the O as long as Brown not allowed to call playsxnodx.

Injuries starting to mount. Walker, Winnett, Brickner, Showunmi out.

What's up with Winnett--was expected back last week. Brickner, too. I understand Walker's high ankle sprain and Showunmi (shoulder?), but missing Winnett, imo, has been big.

seahawkfan2007
September 30th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Holy Cross 31 N'eastern 20
Harvard 34 Lehigh 17
Lafayette 27 Yale 24
Fordham 34 ODU 14
Colgate 27 Cornell 21
Bucknell 20 Georgetown 13

RichH2
September 30th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Knapp and Connare not bad but no where near Winnett's size or ability. No word on injury, perhaps Coen's show tonite will illuminate. Altho, putting my brain in gear, I guess 90% of the show will be Lum. Brickner banged up, no word on severityor location of injury. Willget Brown back at NG which is major plus, particularly with a qb that can run.

carney2
September 30th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Carney - do they have a separate line for a Curley start? xlolx

50-1 against.

ngineer
September 30th, 2009, 10:29 PM
50-1 against.

If Curley doesn't go then my pick is the Eli by 7.

carney2
September 30th, 2009, 10:36 PM
If Curley doesn't go then my pick is the Eli by 7.

IMO, he won't even dress. O'Neil will probably start, but Tavani says that Quilling will also see action. I don't understand how that happens unless O'Neil flat out stinks up the place. Two good defenses and, without Curley, two offenses that may not be able to cope. Expect a low scoring affair.

ngineer
October 1st, 2009, 07:29 AM
IMO, he won't even dress. O'Neil will probably start, but Tavani says that Quilling will also see action. I don't understand how that happens unless O'Neil flat out stinks up the place. Two good defenses and, without Curley, two offenses that may not be able to cope. Expect a low scoring affair.

Yes, the old time 'slobber knocker'. xrolleyesx I would be surprised to see Quilling as well, unless Frank gets desperate and feels he needs to 'change it up' for emotional value. But I thought Quilling was pretty banged up? Either way, 'pards are definite underdogs without the threat of Curley giving the Eli a good air threat.
Yale, 13-6.

Pards Rule
October 1st, 2009, 09:04 AM
Maybe this is another Davis Rodriguez FG for the win game!

carney2
October 1st, 2009, 10:16 AM
[/U][/B]

Yes, the old time 'slobber knocker'. xrolleyesx I would be surprised to see Quilling as well, unless Frank gets desperate and feels he needs to 'change it up' for emotional value. But I thought Quilling was pretty banged up? Either way, 'pards are definite underdogs without the threat of Curley giving the Eli a good air threat.
Yale, 13-6.

Marc Quilling suffered a back injury while working a summer job. He missed all of preseason and has only been back for about two weeks. He dropped to 4th on the depth chart, but his experience has apparently now moved him ahead of the freshman Andrew Shoop. Based on a radio interview I heard earlier this week, coach Tavani still thinks highly of Quilling and his arm. He attributes the 1st half performance last year vs. Lehigh to lack of offensive support more than to failings on Quilling's part.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2009, 12:06 PM
Marc Quilling suffered a back injury while working a summer job. He missed all of preseason and has only been back for about two weeks. He dropped to 4th on the depth chart, but his experience has apparently now moved him ahead of the freshman Andrew Shoop. Based on a radio interview I heard earlier this week, coach Tavani still thinks highly of Quilling and his arm. He attributes the 1st half performance last year vs. Lehigh to lack of offensive support more than to failings on Quilling's part.

That Quilling might actually take the field is giving me pause about taking Lafayette this weekend. You guys had better hope your three-headed running back will be up for about 60-70 carries.

carney2
October 1st, 2009, 01:01 PM
That Quilling might actually take the field is giving me pause about taking Lafayette this weekend. You guys had better hope your three-headed running back will be up for about 60-70 carries.

LFN, multiple choice:

Do you go negative because

A. Quilling's 2008 performance vs. Lehigh?
B. Quilling's lack of practice so far in 2009?
C. An overall unfavorable opinion of Quilling?
D. All of the above?

carney2
October 1st, 2009, 01:08 PM
The official line for week 5:

HOLY CROSS by 7 over Northeastern

Harvard by 5 1/2 over LEHIGH

Yale by 1 over LAFAYETTE

FORDHAM by 17 over Old Dominion

BUCKNELL by 5 over GEORGETOWN

COLGATE by 5 1/2 over Cornell

I don't normally update these, but there have been too many changes to ignore:

HOLY CROSS over Northeastern by 10

Harvard over LEHIGH by 5 1/2

Yale and LAFAYETTE - Even

FORDHAM over Old Dominion by 20

BUCKNELL over GEORGETOWN by 5

COLGATE over Cornell by 6 1/2

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 1st, 2009, 01:22 PM
2-3 last week, 14-6 overall, lost on Lehigh, Penn and Georgetown.

Holy Cross 45 Northeastern 35: Holy Cross will get the win but i doubt it will be easy. Even the bottom feeder CAA teams are good enough to give any PL school a run.

Bucknell 28 Georgetown 13: It's hard to imagine the Hoyas winning a game. Losing to Howard is about as bad as it gets. Bucknell hasn't been too impressive either but they have managed two wins. I'll go with the team that knows how to get a "W".

Fordham 31 ODU 27: This ia basically a coin flip. I'll take the Rams based on experience but the Monarchs might be the more talented team.

Yale 20 Lafayette 17: I think the trouble at QB will cost the 'Pards just enough against a solid Yale squad.

Cornell 24 Colgate 21: Colgate has been very impressive against not so hot opponents. I'm not sold that Cornell's the better team but i don't think the Raiders are above stumbling in a game especially against a rival.

Harvard 24 Lehigh 16: I just can't see Lehigh winning this game. Nothing points to a Lehigh win. Coen's record against the Ivies is terrible, especially the better ones. The defense will do enough to keep the Hawks in the game but the offense will settle for a few too many fieldgoals. 0-4 seems imminent.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2009, 01:47 PM
LFN, multiple choice:

Do you go negative because

A. Quilling's 2008 performance vs. Lehigh?
B. Quilling's lack of practice so far in 2009?
C. An overall unfavorable opinion of Quilling?
D. All of the above?

Mostly A - I'm still scratching my head as to why Tavani started him against us in 2008. But B is also a real concern. He may be creeping up the depth chart since he may be your best option. Having O'Neil being called the "consummate fill-in" last weekend by the Morning Call can't be a good sign.

carney2
October 1st, 2009, 01:53 PM
Mostly A - I'm still scratching my head as to why Tavani started him against us in 2008. But B is also a real concern. He may be creeping up the depth chart since he may be your best option. Having O'Neil being called the "consummate fill-in" last weekend by the Morning Call can't be a good sign.

Good enough. Personally, all my eggs are in the (freshman) Shoop basket, but that will not be available for browsing at any time this year.

letsgopards04
October 1st, 2009, 02:08 PM
I don't normally update these, but there have been too many changes to ignore:

HOLY CROSS over Northeastern by 10

Harvard over LEHIGH by 5 1/2

Yale and LAFAYETTE - Even

FORDHAM over Old Dominion by 20

BUCKNELL over GEORGETOWN by 5

COLGATE over Cornell by 6 1/2

I love how given all the Lafayette QB questions, Vegas thinks the Leopards will do better. Yale must have greater questions.

DFW HOYA
October 1st, 2009, 02:17 PM
Bucknell 28 Georgetown 13: It's hard to imagine the Hoyas winning a game. Losing to Howard is about as bad as it gets.

I don't know why losing to Howard is that surprising. Howard was ranked well ahead of Georgetown heading into the game--HU dropped from #202 to #219 in the Sagarin ratings with the win, but still ahead of Bucknell (#223). Georgetown is #232, three above its all-time low, as the PL as a whole has continued to slip down the list.

For years, people have picked games against Georgetown but with the caveat that "but they're getting better" or "they are close to turning it around". Haven't seen many of those sentiments this season.

Coming up: Lehigh and Colgate, with Richmond in five weeks.

jimbo65
October 1st, 2009, 02:31 PM
I
Coming up: Lehigh and Colgate, with Richmond in five weeks.

The Hoyas could bolo the season. The Rams have done that twice in recent history, with the most current being Coach Swanson's first year. There was a happy ending to Coach Swanson's time at FU but Coach Kelly does not appear to be heading to success.

carney2
October 1st, 2009, 02:38 PM
I love how given all the Lafayette QB questions, Vegas thinks the Leopards will do better. Yale must have greater questions.

Yale was expected to be "down" this year. After beating Georgetown and losing to Cornell, let's just say that they are unproven - and untested.

HoyaMetanoia
October 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM
Georgetown has good chances at wins, no matter how bad we are, against Bucknell, ODU, Marist, Fordham and maybe Lehigh.

the last indian
October 1st, 2009, 03:17 PM
As much as my sympathies lie with Georgetown I have a hard time seeing Georgetown beating Lehigh or Fordham, unless the latter simply packs it in, which is not impossible. Both these teams are talented athletically and on the right day can knock off any PL competitor. Every year I look at the players that the Rams put on the field and can not reconcile their size and speed with their record. Lehigh, of course, has been more successful in this league and can get up for rivalry games with Lafayette or Colgate as they demonstrated last year when they beat LC and went to the wire with Colgate at home.
Still, it would be great to see Georgetown improve, as long as it isn't against the Raiders.

ngineer
October 1st, 2009, 06:42 PM
I dare say if Lehigh loses to both Harvard and Georgetown that Coen will likely be hiring a realtor.:(

RichH2
October 1st, 2009, 08:37 PM
A career counselor should be his 1st appointment, methinks

Franks Tanks
October 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
A career counselor should be his 1st appointment, methinks

Perhaps Andy would be good as a D-III HC. He is a smart guy and his players love him, but may be better where the pressue to win is less.

98hoya
October 1st, 2009, 09:41 PM

Well, one half of that is amazing...

ngineer
October 1st, 2009, 10:51 PM
Perhaps Andy would be good as a D-III HC. He is a smart guy and his players love him, but may be better where the pressue to win is less.

No question he's a 'players coach', very likeable and smart; however, in-game decisions and a seeming slow to adjust seems to plague us. Last week's decisions regarding the first half timeouts, the decision to forego the chip shot field goal exhibited decisions under pressure that were bothersome.

The Harvard game should tell us alot where this team is headed, win or lose. The last team at Lehigh to start a season 0-4 was 1982, with all four losses being close games to Maine, Colgate, Penn and Delaware. Team ended 4-6, and was the beginning of the "The Doldrums" from 1982-1987, with only one winning season in those six years (and actually two in eight years with a slim 6-5 in 1988 followed by a 5-6 in 1989). So we're either going to see an amazing turnaround or find our selves in another 'doldrum'..

jimbo65
October 2nd, 2009, 06:25 AM
As much as my sympathies lie with Georgetown Every year I look at the players that the Rams put on the field and can not reconcile their size and speed with their record.
Well put, I can't either. There was no way we should have lost to URI & Columbia but we did. Apparently we are unable to properly defense the option. Perhaps it is the coach but I won't criticize because he is bringing scholarships back to Fordham fball. Obviously we need them.

RichH2
October 2nd, 2009, 07:41 AM
The 60sand the 80s are decades of LU football that are the basis for my ranting about a slide into mediocrity. Easy to do and hard to reverse. We have a much better base now than in the 60s and certainly better talent than in th mid 80s.Coaching? Concede that it takes a few years for some 1st time HC s to get it right Small and Higgins and Lembo each had learning curve. Hard to tell with Andy where he is on that curve. Only objective criteria is W AND L s which has remained flat at .500 level. my hope is that his curve mirrors Kevin's. Inability to win close games is this teams defining characteristic most often by falling behind early and falling short . Heck, if you turn around even half of the close Ls we are not having this discussion.

carney2
October 2nd, 2009, 12:59 PM
Holy Cross has now rated a 13 1/2 point favorite over Northeastern. We seem to be moving toward reasonable on this one.

RichH2
October 2nd, 2009, 01:09 PM
I knowNortheastern a CAA, still think, unless HC sleepwalks ( like I hope Harvard will), they will win by 21+

CrusaderBob
October 2nd, 2009, 01:12 PM
2-3 Last Week
14-7 on the season

Looking for a big rebound week.

Holy Cross
Harvard
Yale
Fordham
Bucknell
Colgate

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2009, 04:06 PM
Here are my picks for this week. Last week I went 3-2, (3-3 if you count the Towson lost - for the sake of making my record looking better than it is, I will not include it) putting me at 15-6 on the year. My faith that Lehigh will somehow win games this year has really come back to haunt me.

Sources for this week's picks:
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/10/game-preview-harvard-at-lehigh.html
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/10/02/the-csn-way-close-conference-shaves?blog=5

Harvard at Lehigh. There are so many questions that Lehigh needs to answer this week. Will the quarterback change make a difference in the ability of the offense to make plays? Is Harvard, with their always-tough team, the best spot for an essentially brand-new quarterback to get his first start? Can Lehigh play a clean game with fewer errors? Most importantly, can Lehigh finally break the familiar script where they dig themselves in a hole early, battle back to almost retake the lead by the end of the game but just fall short?

The Mountain Hawks may be better, but there are too many questions to pick them to win this game. They'll be better - just not better enough to beat Harvard.

Harvard 23, Lehigh 17

No. 21 Holy Cross at Northeastern. Quarterback Dominic Randolph and the Crusaders should not have much trouble with the Huskies, who don’t seem to have figured out how to score points or prevent other teams from scoring, either. Not a good recipe for a upset of a ranked team.

Crusading Goliath? 41, Bostonian David? 14

(Note on game above: While early in the week I looked at Northeastern to give the 'Cross a good game, I looked closer, and yeesh, I didn't like what I saw. Cross wins big.)

Cornell at No. 25 Colgate. Speaking of emotional rivalries, you’d think this upstate New York rivalry, the 92 meeting between these two schools - the first in recent memory between undefeated Colgate and undefeated Cornell, no less - would be the source of an emotional press conference. Not so. Cornell defensive coordinator Clayton Carlin told the Cornell Daily Sun “We’re so much different this year than last year in every way, shape and form,” he said. “We don’t circle any game. … The focus is on us and how we can get better.” While admirable, to this reporter that sounds like the recipe for a blowout loss. Never, ever underestimate the factor of emotion here.

Big Maroon (Raider) Machine 37, Broken Down Big Red Machine 6

Lafayette at Yale. Led by Mark Leggerio, Lafayette’s defense is one of the best in the nation. The question is: with starting quarterback Rob Curley out with an injury, can Ryan O’Neil helm the offense to score enough points to take on another tough defensive team in Yale? (Don’t ever say I avoid picking tough games.) I’m thinking this is one of momentum: Yale, after their heartbreaking 14-12 last weekend, will not reverse their slide against the Leopards, who gutted out a 20-17 overtime win against Penn. Take the hot team.

Hot Steaming Leopards 15, Ice Cold Bolldogs 11

BONUS GAMES:

Old Dominion at Fordham. I'd love to take the Rams here, but with that emotional loss last weekend versus Colgate - and the fact that the Monarchs pretty much have zero pressure this year - I think Fordham lays an egg big enough for ODU to come away with the victory.

Baby Kings 28, Skelton's Skeletons 27

Georgetown at Bucknell. The Hoyas would love to build off their first offensive touchdown and ride that to another league win over the Bison, Bucknell still has designs on making a run at this Patriot League title thing. When in doubt - though it sounds cruel - take the team that knows how to win.

Balanced Bison 24, "Beat By Bison Times Two" 12

Go...gate
October 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Holy Cross 30, Northeastern 24

Lehigh 26, Harvard 20

Lafayette 21, Yale 17

Fordham 24, Old Dominion 23

Georgetown 12, Bucknell 10

Colgate 28, Cornell 21

RattlerFan70
October 3rd, 2009, 09:59 AM