PDA

View Full Version : Which team will win the SLC? 4 weeks into the season

txstatebobcat
September 27th, 2009, 12:03 PM
We had a similar thread back in August and things were extremely murky as far as prognosticating the Southland. Now everyone has played at least three games and things are somewhat clearer. Here are my thoughts on how the SLC will pan out this year.

1. UCA - Their offense doesn't appear to be as efficient as it used to be in the last several years, however they appear to have the best defense (as predicted) in the SLC. In other words, a good (not great as in previous year) offense and a great defense should be enough for them to run the table yet again in Southland. Also their schedule is/was favorable to the with two FBS teams in the beginning and two tune up games before conference play and also with SFA and TxSt both going to Conway. Why maybe they won't win the SLC- UCA has a great defense but they are heading into a conference where offenses rule the game. If they get into a shootout the bears will more than likely loose that game.

2. TxST - Despite the overall defense statistics. there is clear evidence that TxSt has a far better defense, especially against the rush than last year. This bodes very well for the bobcats as the games that TxSt either lost or nearly lost was really more due to our lack of rushing defense. Montana, UCA, SHSU, NSU were all able to pound the ball against the bobcats. The bobcat offense will probably rank in the top 5 by the end of the season. The rushing attack isn't quite there yet, but with Karrington Bush coming back this week it should be hitting on all cylinders by the time we start conference play. Why maybe they won't win the SLC in a conference full of great offenses being able to pound the ball and control the clock is an absolute must. Through three games the bobcats have managed a measly 127 yards/game, they will have to do much better than that to win the Southland. Also the special teams aren't up to the caliber of last year.

3. MSU- They have been pretty much unstoppable on offense so far this year. The cowboys currently have a top 5 offense nationally with their rushing attack being also one of the best in the nation. This could catapult them to the top of the SLC by season's end. Why may they won't win conference?
The problem lies in that they have one of the worst rushing defenses in the league, giving up almost 200 yards per game. The thing is also that while having played two challenging teams in Appalachian State and Tulane they've also played two tune up games in Henderson St. and Savannah St. I can see where maybe ASU and Tulane could make the numbers look worse than it seems, but the tune up games should have evened things out.

4. Stephen F Austin - The jacks are red hot right now. While their offense is taking all the glory, the jacks are also either first or in the top three of every defensive category in the SLC. They are also off this week and should be ready for their first SLC game when McNeese State comes to town. Why they won't win the SLC: I don't think SFA has faced a good running team yet and MSU, SHSU, UCA, SLU, TxSt (with a healthy Karrington Bush) and Nicholls State will have a better rushing attack then what the lumberjacks have faced so far this season. Everyone in the SLC will try to keep the SFA offense in the sidelines for as much as they can and I think some teams will be successful.

5. Northwestern St - If they can get things straightened out on offense I think they could be much better than fifth with a conference championship not being out of the question. They had the toughest OOC schedule in the league and it shows. I saw the game against North Dakota and I saw a talented but very sloppy football team. Why I don't think they will win The demons have played four games. Being sloppy in one or two games is forgivable, but after four games those mistakes should have been straightened out by now. NSU may get it together for a couple of games and as such play th spoiler role in SLC play.

6. happened to the lions this past Saturday? I really thought they would be a much better team this year, but losing to South Dakota pretty much shows me that this isn't the year of the Lion like I thought in August. I haven't seen them play so I can't comment on them to much.

7. Sam Houston St. - They have the offense to make noise, but quite frankly they have one of the worst defenses in the nation. Things just don't bode very well for the bearkats, unless a coaching change at the end of the season is what your looking for.

8. Nicholls St- this is definitely a rebuilding year for the colonels. I expect big things from the colonels, just not this year.

BobcatTXST04
September 27th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Great post, Max.

I've only seen us play out of the eight teams in our conference, so I can't say much about the others yet. As far as our team is concerned, I agree about the running game not being there yet. With Bush back, things should improve, giving us a balanced passing and running game. Passing has me concerned with BG having 3 INT's a game right now. 3 INT's in 3 games isn't good, but 3 per game is real cause for concern. I think at least part of the problem is our O-Line folding and missing blocks and another part of the problem is that BG seems to have a bit of Brett Favre in him in that he likes to launch the ball regardless of what he sees down field.

Defense is also very concerning. I think our run defense is finally coming together, but our pass defense will get BURNED in SLC play with pass-happy offenses like UCA, SFA, and MSU. Saw way too many open receivers and too many receivers able to break tackles for an extra 3-5 yards after getting the initial hit.

Special teams is pretty much same as above. Too many missed and broken tackles. I didn't like seeing TSU starting on their 30-40 yard line after every nearly every kickoff.

I'm curious to see how some of the other teams look (thanks to SLC TV, I can now!) so I'm looking forward to week 6 and the start of SLC play for everyone.

cajundemon
September 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Vanderbilt has a better chance of winning the SEC than NSU does winning the southland. My money is on the winner of McNeese and T-State. Although a 3-way tie with those two and UCA is certainly realistic.

MaximumBobcat
September 27th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Great post, Max.

I've only seen us play out of the eight teams in our conference, so I can't say much about the others yet. As far as our team is concerned, I agree about the running game not being there yet. With Bush back, things should improve, giving us a balanced passing and running game. Passing has me concerned with BG having 3 INT's a game right now. 3 INT's in 3 games isn't good, but 3 per game is real cause for concern. I think at least part of the problem is our O-Line folding and missing blocks and another part of the problem is that BG seems to have a bit of Brett Favre in him in that he likes to launch the ball regardless of what he sees down field.

Defense is also very concerning. I think our run defense is finally coming together, but our pass defense will get BURNED in SLC play with pass-happy offenses like UCA, SFA, and MSU. Saw way too many open receivers and too many receivers able to break tackles for an extra 3-5 yards after getting the initial hit.

Special teams is pretty much same as above. Too many missed and broken tackles. I didn't like seeing TSU starting on their 30-40 yard line after every nearly every kickoff.

I'm curious to see how some of the other teams look (thanks to SLC TV, I can now!) so I'm looking forward to week 6 and the start of SLC play for everyone.

Wasn't me! But great post. I am very happy to see a much improved Southland Conference this year.

Multiple teams look playoff worthy early in the season. xthumbsupx

Dallas Demon
September 27th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Vanderbilt has a better chance of winning the SEC than NSU does winning the southland. My money is on the winner of McNeese and T-State. Although a 3-way tie with those two and UCA is certainly realistic.

McNeese, TxSt, and SFA for the autobid with Cent. Ark. in the mix to win regardless of the autobid. Northwestern is struggling way too much, not sure why, perhaps the new system on both sides of the ball and it will just take time. Perhaps they will spoil it for one of the teams above later in the year.

txst80
September 27th, 2009, 03:56 PM
1. I can't predict the order of 1-3. It's just too early to tell, but UCA, McNeese, and Texas State should contend for the top spot.

I agree with 4 through 8 how it is. SFA is much improved but I don't see how so many people are picking them to win the conference. They are 4-19 over the past 2 seasons and haven't played as tough a schedule as Texas State, McNeese, or UCA. McNeese plays at SFA in the first week of Southland action so we will see where they stand soon enough. Northwestern State and Southeastern La have been very disappointing so far this year, but they are talented teams and will win some games. Sam will cause some problems as well, I guarantee the Texas State - Sam Houston game will be a very close game, it always is. Nicholls may not win a conference game all year.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Thoughts...

If Jeremy Moses continues to play well and the running game continues to exist at such a high level for SFA (did we realize they actually had RBs on the roster last year?), they will be in the mix. I do not think we can discount them at all.

For those who have doubted SFA, we all said the same thing. Until Moses improved his TD:INT ratio, SFA was going nowhere. They have a win at a MVFC school - tell me how often SLC teams pull that and beat a UND squad handily that defeated Northwestern State on the road. And yes, glad SFA plays McNeese early. Big game! We'll know a lot more then.

Nicholls State is done in my book. I think the Colonels will surprise one team that they have no business competing with, because they just do that - but I have hard time believing the Colonels win more than two games in SLC play. Let's say - I'm just glad Nicholls is the first SLC foe for the Kats and glad that game is in Huntsville!

I'm not going to give out an order of finish at this point until I know that Karrington Bush is 100%. Because I do think Southern Utah will beat TXST (w or w/o Bush) and I want to humor myself when Bobcat fans do what they did last year after the SUU game again...before jumping back on the ship a week later!

Do think 1-4 includes McN, SFA, UCA and TXST are 1-4. SLU and SHSU are 5-6 (in some order, favors to Lions due to game in Hammond) with NWST and Nicholls 7, 8.

BobcatTXST04
September 27th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Wasn't me! But great post. I am very happy to see a much improved Southland Conference this year.

Multiple teams look playoff worthy early in the season. xthumbsupx

xoopsx

My apologies txstatebobcat,

I'm so used to seeing _____bobcat on here and it being Max.

We need more diverse screen names on here, lol. Too many TXST, TxSt, Bobcat, etc. people, lol.

El Gato
September 27th, 2009, 06:58 PM
xoopsx

My apologies txstatebobcat,

I'm so used to seeing _____bobcat on here and it being Max.

We need more diverse screen names on here, lol. Too many TXST, TxSt, Bobcat, etc. people, lol.

EL Gato is pretty Diverse.xnodx

cajundemon
September 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM
McNeese, TxSt, and SFA for the autobid with Cent. Ark. in the mix to win regardless of the autobid. Northwestern is struggling way too much, not sure why, perhaps the new system on both sides of the ball and it will just take time. Perhaps they will spoil it for one of the teams above later in the year.

Spoiler role is about the best we can hope for...

SFA's thrashing of North Dakota is a scary comparison for what we have to look forward to in conference play.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I am surprised how quickly the Demons fell...

Even a former Demon football player I work with was absolutely high on Peveto and said that they'd take care of business from year one. Even all the NWST faithful on this board were relatively confident going into the year...

I started to buy into it and heck, they could still do something, but right now - what's their to believe about their ability to place top three in the SLC? Perplexing...

McNeese75
September 27th, 2009, 09:15 PM
My prediction -

There are going to be multiple knock-down drag-outs every week from here on out. I do not discount any team in the conference because when you do, well, you know :o

Hood
September 28th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah here's where I wish the FCS was televised more. Could you imagine being able to sit back and watch the matchups we're going to be getting?

cajundemon
September 28th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I am surprised how quickly the Demons fell...

Even a former Demon football player I work with was absolutely high on Peveto and said that they'd take care of business from year one. Even all the NWST faithful on this board were relatively confident going into the year...

I started to buy into it and heck, they could still do something, but right now - what's their to believe about their ability to place top three in the SLC? Perplexing...

The majority of us are still optimistic about the future of NSU football. Despite the winless record, Peveto has done some great things for our university and athletic program.

I for one am probably more guilty of this than anyone, but we definitely got caught up in the honeymoon since he arrived. There's a strong possibility we could fall to 0-7 but I will remain optimistic for our future regardless of this season's outcome.

GeauxLions94
September 28th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Spoiler role is about the best we can hope for...

SFA's thrashing of North Dakota is a scary comparison for what we have to look forward to in conference play.

http://http.cdnlayer.com/itke/blogs.dir/96/files/2009/06/lee-corso.jpg

Let's not forget North Dakota had to make three trips to the South (Texas Tech and then Northwestern State/SFA in consecutive weeks) and plays their first home game this weekend.

Not to discredit SFA, who is much improved and playing with a lot of confidence, but the UND game was within a touchdown at halftime before SFA pulled away.

mikebigg
September 29th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Northwestern has faced a tough opening schedule... they have good talent, but Peveto made some questionable decisions versus Grambling. Still, I think they will do well...

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Northwestern has faced a tough opening schedule... they have good talent, but Peveto made some questionable decisions versus Grambling. Still, I think they will do well...

Outside of the two FBS games - was it really that challenging?

SFA beat UND handily and the Sioux have not exactly displayed themselves as a power. The SLC has dominated the SWAC for the last decade in football and while Grambling is a tough place to win for anyone, I would say that the Demons were expected to win here...

All that doesn't matter now...it's SLC season!

mikebigg
September 29th, 2009, 07:25 AM

SFA beat UND handily and the Sioux have not exactly displayed themselves as a power. The SLC has dominated the SWAC for the last decade in football and while Grambling is a tough place to win for anyone, I would say that the Demons were expected to win here...

All that doesn't matter now...it's SLC season!

What does this have to do with the discussion? Who said Northwestern was expected to win? Were they favored? There was a link here that had the score predicted as 45-14 in favor of Grambling. So again... who expected them to win?

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2009, 08:06 AM
What does this have to do with the discussion? Who said Northwestern was expected to win? Were they favored? There was a link here that had the score predicted as 45-14 in favor of Grambling. So again... who expected them to win?

We're talking about how tough NWST's schedule - aren't we? That's an indicator in what type of team they are coming into the SLC season and for our fans to judge their ability to win the conference based on those results...

And yes, any time an SLC team plays a SWAC school in any sport - HOME or AWAY -, I'd have to say they are favored. After all, it noted that across all sports - the SLC maintains a winning percentage of 85-90%. It's held true for the last few years.

The majority of us are still optimistic about the future of NSU football. Despite the winless record, Peveto has done some great things for our university and athletic program.

I for one am probably more guilty of this than anyone, but we definitely got caught up in the honeymoon since he arrived. There's a strong possibility we could fall to 0-7 but I will remain optimistic for our future regardless of this season's outcome.

I can agree with that assessment. It seems Peveto has cultivated the community and that goes a long way. This year could be 0-11 for all we know, but at the end of the day - it may be a good thing for 2010, right?

mikebigg
September 29th, 2009, 08:20 AM
We're talking about how tough NWST's schedule - aren't we? That's an indicator in what type of team they are coming into the SLC season and for our fans to judge their ability to win the conference based on those results...

And yes, any time an SLC team plays a SWAC school in any sport - HOME or AWAY -, I'd have to say they are favored. After all, it noted that across all sports - the SLC maintains a winning percentage of 85-90%. It's held true for the last few years.

I can agree with that assessment. It seems Peveto has cultivated the community and that goes a long way. This year could be 0-11 for all we know, but at the end of the day - it may be a good thing for 2010, right?

Only one Southland Conference school has ever beaten Grambling in Grambling and that was the 2003 McNeese team... so why did you think that Northwestern would beat Grambling? We've beaten Nichols twice and I do believe both games were at their place. Don't know if we've played Southeastern or not...

All Sports has nothing to do with how a SLC school will do against Grambling...but go ahead and bash. It's accepted by the powers that be.

McNeese75
September 29th, 2009, 08:26 AM

I did!! But of course I was sipping on the Peveto Kool-aid like a lot of us were at the time. :)

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2009, 08:28 AM
All Sports has nothing to do with how a SLC school will do against Grambling...but go ahead and bash. It's accepted by the powers that be.

Being a statistical guy, I like to play the averages... ;)

Probably explains why I am No. 1 in both my fantasy pick'em leagues.

mikebigg
September 29th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Being a statistical guy, I like to play the averages... ;)

Probably explains why I am No. 1 in both my fantasy pick'em leagues.

Grambling is not average...

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Grambling is not average...

As compared to the rest of the Football Championship Subdivision, they are.

mikebigg
September 29th, 2009, 02:25 PM
But you didn't compare us to the rest of FCS Subdivision...But if that's the case, SamHouston is below average as evident by your record since the formation of 1AA.

cajundemon
September 29th, 2009, 07:34 PM

Who in the conferrence played a tougher OOC schedule? We sure as heck didnt get cupcake St. Joseph's game, and 3 of 4 of them were on the road. Not making excuses and I fully expected to win the two FCS games, but starting the season as we did made it difficult for the team to get everything clicking especially when we have new schemes implemented. If you think about it our second home game isn't till the 6th week of the season.

JohnStOnge
September 29th, 2009, 08:10 PM
As much as I think that Peveto is overrated, I think we have to wait a while before what I think of him is validated. We have to wait and see how things play out when his recruits play a subsantial role.

McNeese75
September 29th, 2009, 09:22 PM
As much as I think that Peveto is overrated, I think we have to wait a while before what I think of him is validated. We have to wait and see how things play out when his recruits play a subsantial role.

This is supposed to be THE year for the Demons based on the rating of their last several recruiting classes. I am not sure he gets a "not my recruits" pass on this one.

cajundemon
September 29th, 2009, 09:33 PM
This is supposed to be THE year for the Demons based on the rating of their last several recruiting classes. I am not sure he gets a "not my recruits" pass on this one.

This is somewhat true, we did have a lot of returning starters. Injuries have been pretty rough, as we only had 6 offensive linemen at our disposal the last two weeks and 10-12 true freshmen are getting significant playing time with 4 starting. My point being that on paper we looked pretty good coming into the season, but it looks like the Demon faithful are gonna have to be a little patient. As good as our personnel looks on paper, i think they are far from being best suited for the systems that Peveto is implementing. It's a little too soon to label him "overrated" time will tell, but I am banking that we finish the year playing a lot better than what we have seen the last four games.

McNeese75
September 29th, 2009, 10:14 PM
This is somewhat true, we did have a lot of returning starters. Injuries have been pretty rough, as we only had 6 offensive linemen at our disposal the last two weeks and 10-12 true freshmen are getting significant playing time with 4 starting. My point being that on paper we looked pretty good coming into the season, but it looks like the Demon faithful are gonna have to be a little patient. As good as our personnel looks on paper, i think they are far from being best suited for the systems that Peveto is implementing. It's a little too soon to label him "overrated" time will tell, but I am banking that we finish the year playing a lot better than what we have seen the last four games.

A wounded Demon is always dangerous xnodx

Dallas Demon
September 29th, 2009, 10:48 PM
A wounded Demon is always dangerous xnodx

After a while, if you don't have anything to play for then that's when you could get dangerous. No pressure, and your season could be made by spoiling someone else's party.

F'N Hawks
September 30th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Having seen both teams, I can say that NSU will be alright once they get organized in all 3 phases of the game. Alot of penalties and bad special teams mistakes. Just need time and also the coach needs to start making better decisions about when to punt, etc. That call to go for it on 4th and 1 on their own 18 was stupid. We stopped TT on 3 QB sneaks in a row the game before, he should have noticed that. We get our butt kicked on 3rd and 5 but when it comes to 4th and 1 we are tougher than hell! Go figure.

SFA kicked the dog out of us and will be a tough offense to shut down. The travel definitely had some effect but we wouldn't win that game if it was Week 1 or Week 10. They have some serious studs on offense and their defense was fast and well coached. I like what they got going.

cajundemon
September 30th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Having seen both teams, I can say that NSU will be alright once they get organized in all 3 phases of the game. Alot of penalties and bad special teams mistakes. Just need time and also the coach needs to start making better decisions about when to punt, etc. That call to go for it on 4th and 1 on their own 18 was stupid. We stopped TT on 3 QB sneaks in a row the game before, he should have noticed that. We get our butt kicked on 3rd and 5 but when it comes to 4th and 1 we are tougher than hell! Go figure.

SFA kicked the dog out of us and will be a tough offense to shut down. The travel definitely had some effect but we wouldn't win that game if it was Week 1 or Week 10. They have some serious studs on offense and their defense was fast and well coached. I like what they got going.

I dont know if you made the trip to natchitoches or watched online, but if you actually watched the game in person I am very curious to hear what you thought of the atmosphere, stadium, band etc..from an outside point of view.

F'N Hawks
September 30th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I dont know if you made the trip to natchitoches or watched online, but if you actually watched the game in person I am very curious to hear what you thought of the atmosphere, stadium, band etc..from an outside point of view.

I thought the atmosphere was great! Nice big stadium, brand new colorful turf, big scoreboard. I was impressed with the whole operation and its nice to go to an outdoor game in a good setting. You have some great athletes and its only a matter of time before the start to gel.

Good luck the rest of the year!

Dallas Demon
September 30th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I thought the atmosphere was great! Nice big stadium, brand new colorful turf, big scoreboard. I was impressed with the whole operation and its nice to go to an outdoor game in a good setting. You have some great athletes and its only a matter of time before the start to gel.

Good luck the rest of the year!

When is the return game, next year? It would be great to go up to Grand Forks.

F'N Hawks
September 30th, 2009, 10:55 PM
When is the return game, next year? It would be great to go up to Grand Forks.

Correct, September 25th 2010 in Grand Forks. That will be a great game!

BEAR
September 30th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I had forgotten about this game on the UCA schedule!

Sat 11/28 North Dakota Conway, Ark. 1 p.m.

Guess I thought McNeese would be the end of the year. Bonus time for playing Hawaii ! xlolx

The return game is Sept. 8, 2012.