PDA

View Full Version : Gardner-Webb at VMI

elcid83
September 27th, 2009, 11:20 AM
After an off week [off weeks suck], the Runnin' Bulldogs head to Lexington to take on the VMI Keydets. The Big South's #1 Rushing Offense [VMI] will take on the Big South's #1 Rushing Defense [GW] on Saturday at 1:30.

VMI is coming off of an impressive showing at Richmond losing 38-28 to the reigning National Champ. VMI has also marked this game as their Homecoming game so there should be quite a crowd on hand. The Runnin' Bulldogs come into this game leading the FCS in Turnover Margin with 6 fumbles and 4 ints gained vs. 1 int lost. They will need to continue to take good care of the football this week as it appears that VMI was able to capitalize on 2 Spider fumbles in Richmond territory. Both turnovers ultimately resulted in TDs for the Keydets.

VMI's pass defense is suspect giving up 341 yds on Saturday to Richmond. Everyone is well aware of VMI's running prowess [9th among FCS schools with 220 yds per game] and this will be a good test for GW's FCS 10th ranked rushing defense which only gives up 88 yds per game.

I wasn't aware that VMI spent much time passing the ball, but they threw for 141 yds against the Spiders - more than double the passing yds from their first 2 games. Perhaps Coach Sparky Woods is trying to give his Roos a more balanced offensive attack as the Big South starts conference play?

There are several areas where GW could stand to improve: Sacks allowed [4th in BS]; Pass Defense [5th in BS - but it includes a 365 yd performance by NC State]; and Punt returns [5th in BS - we avg. 1.5 yds per return].

It is easy to underestimate the impact that a Homecoming game has at a school like VMI. As a Citadel grad, I know that this is a HUGE weekend for VMI. Unlike other colleges, the Keydets will be hosting LOTS of alumni, parents, girlfriends [I guess boyfriends, too], and other guests. There will be formal parades and cannons blowing up. The stadium will likely have its largest crowd of the year because of all of the Homecoming fans. I'm sure there will lots of alumni drinking and partying and so forth. It will be a very electric atmosphere and the Runnin' Bulldogs will need to be prepared for that.

Ultimately, I believe the Runnin' Bulldogs' fast-paced offense will simply be too much for VMI to stop and the GW rushing defense will hold VMI to less than 150 yds. I look for a 28 - 14 victory for Gardner-Webb.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

kdinva
September 27th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Time of possession and turnovers will be big keys. G-Webb will look to throw it 40 times, I predict. VMI MUST have 3 or 4 sustained drives (12+ plays, 6+ minutes T.O.P.), which result in touchdowns. Against UR, both Maypray and Abegesah played with hip injuries, they'll be "healthier" we hope. We also hope to get back two starters in the secondary.

Look for a crowd in the 7.800 range Saturday. VMI 30, Gard-Webb 24.

elcid83
September 28th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Time of possession and turnovers will be big keys. G-Webb will look to throw it 40 times, I predict. VMI MUST have 3 or 4 sustained drives (12+ plays, 6+ minutes T.O.P.), which result in touchdowns. Against UR, both Maypray and Abegesah played with hip injuries, they'll be "healthier" we hope. We also hope to get back two starters in the secondary.

Look for a crowd in the 7.800 range Saturday. VMI 30, Gard-Webb 24.

KD - any tips on parking. We will want to park about 5 cars of GW fans near each other. Will that be a problem?

unk96
September 28th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I am just envious I cant be there to watch the Running Bulldogs. Hope its a gret game and everyone has safe travel.

kdinva
September 28th, 2009, 08:18 PM
KD - any tips on parking. We will want to park about 5 cars of GW fans near each other. Will that be a problem?
I'd say your best bet would be on the Parade Ground (opens at 7:30; cost is $10/vehiclexoopsx)...........

https://admin.xosn.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=43765&SPID=3895&DB_OEM_ID=9800&ATCLID=1549007

There are 3 or 4 other lots behind academic/admin. buildings, that contain about 30-50 spaces each, but for your situation, I say the Parade Ground is the best bet (and not because it costs $$) for guests with multiple cars, but you have to arrive there at the same time (no "saving" of spaces).

elcid83
September 29th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks KD. We will be the idiots with the GW tailgate tents. Will we see you there?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

kdinva
September 30th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Thanks KD. We will be the idiots with the GW tailgate tents. Will we see you there?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!
Can't make it this weekend, "83", but I'll be listening on the internet (maybe that lovely big south video, too). Also, remind the management of the Shelby Star that VMI is the Keydets, not Cadetsxreadx; and that VMI hasn't been a push-over game for G-Webb (last year, 34-27 without Kyle Hughes at QB, plus that OT game in Lex. in 2005).

GridFan
September 30th, 2009, 09:37 AM
That Star article didn't say anything about VMI being a pushover.

I think the term "handled" was used, but I would assume that has more to do with the series record than anything. Anyone who has ever seen a game between the two programs would be quite aware that it's always a close, tight, competitive game. No question. I got the feeling the writer was trying to make a point that the 6-0 series edge is misleading, especially considering VMI's improvement under Sparky Woods.

Last season's game was 24-6 in favor of G-W at halftime. The Keydets did make it close in the fourth quarter after some turnovers. If I remember correctly, I think the nose guard scored a couple TDs out of the backfield for VMI in that one. That was cool to watch. The air attack was in full force for G-W that game.

That '05 game was on the tube down here, and it was a doozy. So was the '07 game from what I've heard, but I wasn't up in Lexington.

With this being homecoming in Lexington, and VMI rightfully confident after a very strong showing on the road, I would think Gardner-Webb would be fortunate to escape with a "W" this weekend. The Dawgs will need to play very, very well. It'll be close.

kdinva
September 30th, 2009, 11:34 AM
That Star article didn't say anything about VMI being a pushover..........I think the term "handled" was used......
the noun "pushover" was only in the title thread.........Saturday will be fun, no doubt!!:)

Dukie95
September 30th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I'm actually interested in this game. VMI was impressive against both JMU and UR on the road...this isn't the pushover VMI team of the past.

VMI's been battle-tested against the best, so they should be well prepared.

elcid83
October 1st, 2009, 07:29 AM
I agree Dukie. I know the Dogs have been working hard getting ready for the Keydets and they are anxious to get back on the field after their disappointing showing at NC State.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

g-webb1994
October 1st, 2009, 01:30 PM
Imperative that G-W come out strong, get a lead early, it takes the Homecoming crowd out of it, and forces VMI to start to throw instead of running the ball down our throat....

kdinva
October 2nd, 2009, 05:47 AM
Imperative that G-W come out strong, get a lead early, it takes the Homecoming crowd out of it, and forces VMI to start to throw instead of running the ball down our throat....

Conversely, VMI can't let Gard-Webb get into 3rd and 3 type situations, where the play-action pass is an option (and on offense, the Keydets have to have good yardage on first downs {5-6}). VMI has to win the turnover battle plus kicking game. Last two games, VMI has had 5 false start penalties in each contest (xoopsx)

elcid83
October 2nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
Conversely, VMI can't let Gard-Webb get into 3rd and 3 type situations, where the play-action pass is an option (and on offense, the Keydets have to have good yardage on first downs {5-6}). VMI has to win the turnover battle plus kicking game. Last two games, VMI has had 5 false start penalties in each contest (xoopsx)

Winning the turnover battle may be your most difficult. GW leads the nation in turnover margin with 10 fumbles and/or ints gained vs 1 int lost. The O has been doing a very good job of taking care of the pigskin this year. Looking forward to a good game.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

JMUNJ08
October 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
I was at a homecoming game a few years back at VMI when they played JMU (JMU won big). However, the crowd was never out of it and pretty loud for their size. Should be a great atmosphere for a conference game as well!xthumbsupx

kdinva
October 3rd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Winning the turnover battle may be your most difficult. GW leads the nation in turnover margin with 10 fumbles and/or ints gained vs 1 int lost. The O has been doing a very good job of taking care of the pigskin this year. Looking forward to a good game.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!
Boy, you hit that one!! Congrats to GW for capatalizing on those 4 bad VMI turnovers, and coming back to win it in the 4th quarter. Hughes did some nice things, like that pump and go for that 41-yd. TD pass. But, the fumbled snap in the 4th that led to the go-ahead TD for G-Webb. Then, we had Barnson behind the secondary, but an underthrown ball (with the wind?) let to an INT.

I know Coach Patton can't be pleased with the punting, and I don't know why, after VMI blocked the punt to give them that last chance, why Sparky didn't put in one of our two 6'3 receivers to give Hughes one more option.

Good win for G-Webb, but as much VMI gave it away.

ASU_Fanatic
October 3rd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Go Bull Dogs.

GridFan
October 3rd, 2009, 06:08 PM
Watched the game online, good win for G-W actually. Played poorly in the kicking game (gave up at least 12 points and nearly the game winner late), but took advantage of VMI miscues as they needed to.

Doolittle's lone INT was another dropped pass. If G-W doesn't drop a ton of passes early, they score at least two or three more TD. I wouldn't say VMI gave the game away boys, although those turnovers did hurt (obviously). G-W did have a first and goal inside VMI's 10 early in the second half and came away with zero after a missed FG and a drop on the goal line.

Pleased with the win. VMI seems improved and are always a challenge up there in Lexington. Defense played well against the option most of the day it seemed. Did Brown switch to MLB this week? Or was I seeing things.

Great job for VMI's crew with the video stream. Loved the end zone cam.

EagleDawg
October 3rd, 2009, 08:56 PM
Back from VMI and what a unbelievable and exciting finish. Dawgs D holds up at the end stopping 4 straight VMI attempts to get it in the endzone from the 9 yd. line. Dawgs Offense and Defense played pretty well, Special Teams stunk it up big time and could have easily been the reason for a loss instead of a win. How many ways can you screw up special teams.

1) poor snap on first punt causes the punter to take a safety

2) missed short field goal

3) punt returned for TD by VMI's Tim Maypray (why would anyone kick the pigskin to that guy? he's the all-time Big South leader in total all-purpose yards and a threat to take it to the house every time he touches it. Punting it out of bounds is an option you know.

4) blocked punt with under 2 minutes to go gives the Keydets one last chance to steal the win.

On the positive side, the Runnin Dawgs added to their FCS leading turnover margin stat taking the ball away from the Keydets 4 times while giving up a single INT of a pass that hit the intended receiver right in the hands.

VMI is an extremely tough out this year and the Dawgs are happy to leave the Shenondoah with a big conference win on the road. Next up, Buffalo. Extra work on Special Teams this week is a must. Running the ball from the 5 yd line with a first and goal ain't too bad of an idea either instead of throwing two fade routes for incompletions to the back corners of the endzone. Classic case there of over thinking the game situation but it's happened to the best of them at all levels.

Go Runnin Bulldogs!

elcid83
October 4th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Th VMI Homecoming crowd was out in full force on a beautiful fall football day. This was my first trip to Lexington and I was looking forward to this trip as a Citadel grad and a GW parent. The VMI campus is beautiful and different from The Citadel's. I was surprised to learn that we would actually park and tailgate on the Parade Field. Parades are a lot more enjoyable when you have an ice cold Sam Adams Octoberfest in your cup! In observing the home crowd I found that I felt like I was in Charleston with my own homecoming crowd. Our schools are a lot alike in a lot of ways.

GW started this game looking like a team that had the previous weekend off [bye weeks suck] and give the Keydets credit - they were ready to play from the opening kickoff. After struggling through the 1st quarter, the machine got warmed up and started putting points on the board. By the time the halftime horn blew [I should say haltime cannon] the Dogs were on top 10-9. Stan Doolittle had a very nice day and the team overcame several dropped passes. VMI tried to put the game away in the 3rd quarter with 2 TDs including an 86 yd punt returned to the house to end the quarter. [Note to BS teams - if you choose to punt to Maypray, you are going to make your football game very exciting - not sure how he got overlooked by FBS programs, but he is a difference maker!] Note to whoever is doing the BS power rankings, VMI deserves to be in the top half of the BS. They are going to create problems for every team they play this year.

GW stepped it up on both sides of the ball in the 4th quarter to get the W. Pleased to see another come from behind victory but would prefer a stay ahead the whole game victory in our near future. GW continues its long world tour next week with a trip to Buffalo and then it's finally time to return to Boiling Springs.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!